• Published 24th Jan 2017
  • 28,154 Views, 2,021 Comments

Stranger in the Forest - TrixterCat



When Fluttershy encounters a new creature in the Everfree forest, how will the ponies deal with its strange ways and its inability to speak?

  • ...
60
 2,021
 28,154

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 9 - Welcome to Ponyville

With their lunch done, the group made their way to Twilight’s library. The creature kept taking in the sights of Ponyville, but every time he met a pony’s eyes, he seemed to become increasingly shy from their staring. After a quick walk, they found themselves in front of the library. The creature’s eyes opened wide and a grin made its way on to his face as he went to examine the tree. He was pleased to find out that it was an actual tree, and not just a building made to look like one.

The group entered the library, the creature having to watch his head a little bit as he came in. Twilight set her saddlebags down near the front door.

“Spike, could you go and make us some tea?” She asked her draconic assistant.

“Sure thing Twilight.” He said and made his way in to the kitchen.

“I’ll go and help him.” Fluttershy offered and followed after him. Rarity and Rainbow had already made their way towards the shelves, Rarity doing a bit of tidying up and Rainbow looking for any interesting books to read. Of course, by Rainbow’s standards, an interesting book usually meant either a Daring Do book or something closely resembling one. Twilight had tried her best to get Rainbow interested in other forms of literature too, but it was a slow process.

The creature’s jaw was hanging open as he walked around the library, looking at all the bookshelves and the architecture. He seemed to hesitate for a moment, before reaching out and picking up a book from the shelves. Twilight’s ears perked up in excitement and she made her way next to him. Could it be possible that the creature can read? It would make sense. He has that device after all, and if the symbols were indeed a language, then perhaps he could also read their language.

She held her breath as she watched the creature flip the pages in the book. It was almost comical watching him squinting and studying the book that looked slightly too small in his hands. After a while, Twilight let out a small, disappointed sigh. It didn’t look like the creature had any idea what was written in the book. He seemed to be more interested in the pictures in the book that he was currently holding. When he noticed Twilight standing next to him, he placed it back on the shelf and rubbed his neck awkwardly, like a foal who had been caught with his hoof in a cookie jar. She giggled slightly, and patted his leg to let him know that it was alright for him to look at the books. She then made her way down to the basement to get some items she needed for the tests she planned on doing with the creature.

Fluttershy and Spike returned to the main area with a tray full of teacups, and Twilight joined them soon after, levitating a bunch of different gadgets and gizmos with her. They sat down to enjoy the tea while Twilight sorted her devices, except for Rainbow, who flew up to a small alcove and focused on a Daring Do book instead. Spike also found a comic book that he started to read with the creature, who had an amused look on his face as Spike read it out loud to him. Rarity and Fluttershy focused on talking about the juicy gossip that Rarity had heard yesterday.

“Ahha!” Twilight exclaimed when she got her devices set up. Spike and the creature looked up from the comic book.

“What’s that Twilight?” Spike asked as he looked at a weird device.

“It is a Thaumatic Resonance Analyzer, or Thaumometer for short. I’m going to use it to measure the creature’s thaumatic capacity by channeling my thaumic energy in to this highly sensitive crystal, which will cause his thaumic pool to resonate, which I can then measure!” Twilight said enthusiastically.

Two ponies and one dragon blinked, confused. Twilight’s face fell slightly. Fluttershy she could understand, magical theorem wasn’t her field of expertise. Spike, he should have had at least some idea after being her number one assistant for so long. But Rarity? She was a unicorn, and even she looked to be completely lost.

“I’m going to measure how much magic he has.” She said in a slightly frustrated deadpan.

“Aaaah.” They responded in unison.

Twilight motioned for the creature to come closer, who was looking at the contraption with some suspicion. The Thaumometer wasn’t a terribly large device. It had a bracelet with wires going in to box that had all sorts of blinking lights, crystals and weird indicators which purpose only Twilight knew. It looked a little bit like it had been designed by a supervillain from one of Spike’s comics. The creature eventually sat down next to Twilight, who took the bracelet and attached it on to his arm. She also gave him the crystal to hold in the same arm, and made last few adjustments on the device.

“Okay, it should be good now.” She said and turned back towards the creature, who was closely examining the two things he was holding. Twilight motioned for the creature to hold his arm out straight and keep his palm open that she could see the crystal. All the other occupants in the room were watching in anticipation, Rainbow having flown down since things were getting slightly more interesting.

Twilight started to power up her horn to channel her magic in to the crystal, but the creature flinching made her stop immediately. He looked unsure about what she was doing.

“It’s okay, I’m not going to hurt you.” She said in what she hoped was a reassuring voice. Fluttershy gently leaned against the creature to give her own support to him.

“Twilight, let me.” Rarity said and walked next to Twilight. She powered her own horn, and instead of directing it at the creature, she levitated one of the library’s books up and showed it to the creature, before putting it back to where she picked it up. She then pointed at Twilight, and then the crystal he was holding. The creature looked at the book, then back to Twilight, and nodded slightly.

Twilight powered her horn again, and slowly reached out with her magic for the crystal. The creature was nervous, yet had a spark of curiosity in his eyes as he watched the crystal starting to glow. The ponies noticed his arm shuddering slightly as the glow intensified. Some of the glow from the crystal seemed to seep in to his arm, and the machine started to make beeping noises as it came to life.

They sat there like that for a few minutes, before Twilight stopped the flow of magic from her horn. The crystal slowly dimmed as the last of her magic dissipated from it. The creature blinked a few times, and looked at Twilight as if to ask if that was all. Twilight took off the bracelet from around the creature's arm before she focused on the machine and the data she now had. The creature scratched his arm, and Fluttershy noticed that the hairs on his arm were all standing up.

“Hmm…” Twilight mumbled as she examined the paper that the machine was printing out.

“What does it say, Twilight?” Rainbow asked as she looked over Twilight’s shoulder at the paper.

“According to the Thaumometer, he has about 21,8 thaum capacity.”

“Okay...How much is that?”

“Well, a unicorn foal usually has 10 to 20 thaum capacity, although they can go over it if a magical surge happens. A unicorn filly or a colt can have up to 45 thaums, and an average unicorn adult has about 100 thaums.”

“Okay…how much do you have, Twilight?”

“Oh. When I was last measured, I had 196,7 thaum capacity.”

“Woah. That’s like, twice as much as an average unicorn.”

“I’m the element of magic, that has helped me out. I’ve noticed a steady increase in my magic for some time now.”

“So, what does this all mean for the big guy?” Rainbow said and turned towards the creature, who was patiently waiting for them.

“It means that he most likely doesn’t have any active way to channel thau-…erm…to use magic, like a unicorn. His magic probably manifests in passive ways, like with pegasi and earth ponies.” Twilight said with her lecturer voice.

“Okay…hey, how come I have never seen this kind of device before?” Rainbow poked at the machine.

“Thaumometers are usually only used in magic schools, research work or maybe in a hospital. Knowing your thaumic capacity is not something you usually need to know, except for unicorns when they are practicing magic. Knowing your capacity allows teachers to know what kind of spells you are able to cast, and thus teach you accordingly. Since pegasi and earth ponies can’t cast spells, it is not as useful to measure your thaumic capacity.”

“I…I think I understand…” Rainbow scratched her head, trying to wrap her head around all of it.

“So wait.” Spike said. “Are you saying that he has just slightly more magic than a foal? Isn’t that…too little?” He pointed at the creature, who seemed to be wondering what they were talking about.

“Not necessarily. Like I said, this is compared to unicorns, who have higher thaumic capacities. For example, most animals rarely have over 20 thaums. Adult pegasi and earth ponies might have anything between 30 and 60 thaums, depending on what kind of work they do. Since we don’t know what the average is with his species, we can’t really say if his capacity is low or high.”

“Hey Twilight, can you measure me too?” Rainbow asked and flapped her wings in excitement.

“Sure, if you want to.”

********************

After measuring Rainbow’s capacity with the Thaumometer, Rarity, Fluttershy and Spike also wanted to take a turn to see how much magic each of them had. Fluttershy had the least of them, with only 31,7 thaums. This wasn’t a big surprise to any of them, considering that Fluttershy doesn’t fly for long periods of time that often, which would help it grow. Spike turned out to have 72,0 thaum capacity due to his draconic heritage, and it would grow even higher once he grows up. Rainbow had an amazing capacity of 78,5, undoubtedly contributing to her high speed when flying. While not knowing it for sure, Twilight theorized that many of the Wonderbolts would probably have a number close to Rainbow’s. Lastly, Rarity was just barely above the average, with her thaumic capacity being 100,1.

After recording the creature’s magic potential in her report for Celestia, Twilight continued on with a few more tests she had in mind. She tested his hearing and sense of smell, both which further gave proof to the theory that the creature wasn’t a predator by nature, since he seemed to lack any way to best the other hunters in the Everfree. She also took a small blood sample, just to make sure that the creature didn’t have any diseases.

While Twilight was furiously writing on a scroll, the creature’s device suddenly started ringing. The tone was slightly different than last time Twilight had heard it. He took the device out of his pocket, and flicked his finger across it, which silenced it.

“Wow.” Spike said as he put the comic book he had resumed reading back down again. “That’s neat. What is it?” He asked and leaned in to look at the device.

The creature gave him a smile and moved his finger across the device. Soon the rest of the ponies gathered around him to see what he was doing with it, and hopefully get some answers. As the creature moved his finger on the device, the pictures it was displaying changed.

“What is he doing?” Rainbow asked.

“I don’t know.” Twilight responded. She could see a smaller picture of a camera, a letter, and a clock, but there were other ones that she didn’t understand. The creature pressed one with a music note on it, and a bunch of symbols covered the face of the device. He kept moving his finger, making all the symbols move so fast that Twilight could hardly follow them with her eyes. Finally, he stopped, and pressed his finger on a string of symbols. Beautiful music filled the room.

“Wooooah.” The ponies and a dragon said in amazement.

“His device can play music? How can it do that? Where’s the record?” Twilight asked as she practically pressed her snout against the device, trying to wrap her head around the fact that this small device could play music.

“It’s very lovely and relaxing.” Rarity said, her eyes closed and a small smile on her face.

“Mmhm.” Fluttershy agreed.

“Eh, kinda boring.” Rainbow said. “But it is cool that he can just have music wherever he goes with this thing. I wonder if he has any music with more speed to it?”

They went silent and listened to the music until it ended. The creature pressed a few things again on the device, before he looked up to them and smiled widely. He ushered them close to each other, before bringing the device up to his face. There was a noise, after which he motioned them to come closer again. There, on the device, was a picture of them.

“WHAT?” Twilight said, aghast.

“Hey look, it can take pictures too! That’s so awesome!” Spike said enthusiastically.

“It’s a really good picture too.” Fluttershy said.

“It can play music and take pictures? But…but how? How can it do that? Why can it do both of those things? It doesn’t look anything like a camera! Or a record player!” Twilight paced back and forth.

“That. Is. So. Cool! What else can it do?” Rainbow said excitedly as she practically sat down on the creature’s lap to get a better look. The creature blushed slightly from the sudden contact, but luckily, only Rarity seemed to notice. She hid her amused smile behind a hoof.

The creature pressed another picture on his device and started humming a song with his deep voice.

“I wonder what he’s doing now.” Spike said while they waited. The creature stopped shortly after, before pressing a few more things. His humming started again, but this time, it came from the device.

“It can play music. It can take pictures. It can record sounds. How can his device do all that?” Twilight said, completely baffled.

“I do not know, darling, but it does seem to be a rather useful device. Perhaps it’s from outside of Equestria?” Rarity asked.

“Maybe…”

“I wonder if I could get one of these?” Rainbow said. “It would be so cool to listen to music while I’m working out!” She turned towards the creature. “What do you say big guyyyyy…” It finally registered to Rainbow that she was sitting on the creature’s lap, and was now nose to nose with him. Her ear twitched when she started to hear giggling from behind her, and she turned her head around to notice that the other occupants in the room all had smiles on their faces. With a quick flap of her wings, Rainbow shot upwards, a furious blush on her face. “I didn’t…! I mean…uhh…”

“Aww, you looked so sweet sitting with him like that, Rainbow.” Twilight said.

“I often sit close to my animal friends too. It's usually me who is holding them, though.” Fluttershy continued with a smile. The creature rubbed his neck awkwardly.

“You’re not helping!” Rainbow squeaked, much to the amusement of others below.

********************

With all the tests done, and Twilight quickly writing down notes on what she still needs to add to her report for Celestia, the group left the library. The creature had taken out his clothes from Twilight’s saddlebags, and looked like he was going to head back to the Everfree for today. It was already dusk, and soon the sun would make way for the night. There were fewer ponies around than during the day. Most shops were closed, and some ponies were heading home for dinner and to relax after a long day. There seemed to still be one pony, however, who was full of energy.

“Heyja everypony!” Pinkie said as she merrily trotted to them.

“Hi Pinkie.” They greeted back.

“I was wondering how long you were going to stay in Twilight’s library. I was on my way to get you all.”

“What for?” Rainbow asked.

“For his ‘Welcome to Ponyville’ party of course!” Pinkie bounced excitedly and pointed at the creature.

“Now? Isn’t it getting too late for that?” Spike asked.

“Silly Spike. It’s never too late for a party!” Pinkie patted Spike’s head.

“I think he was going to head back to where he lives, so I don’t know how long he will stay.” Twilight said.

“Perhaps only a quick visit then?” Rarity said.

“It would be nice to welcome him here officially, if he wants to come to Ponyville again.” Fluttershy agreed.

“Then what are we waiting for? Let’s go to the party!” Pinkie said and started to hop towards Sugarcube corner. The others indicated to the creature that they should follow Pinkie. The creature looked at where the sun was, before shrugging and walking after Pinkie.

When they arrived to Sugarcube corner, the creature did a double take at the building in front of him. He had been excited to see Twilight’s library was a tree, but seeing the gingerbread like house made him chuckle to himself in amusement. He looked like he wanted to climb to the roof to see if it actually was gingerbread, and then possibly take a bite if it was. Pinkie had already gone in to the building, and when the creature followed her inside, he got startled when Pinkie blew in a party blower.

“Surprise!” Pinkie announced loudly and threw streamers in to the air. There were a couple of ponies waiting in the building, including Mayor Mare, Mr. and Mrs. Cake and Applejack. There were pastries and drinks on a table and a few party games as well. There was also a banner attached to the rafters that read ‘Welcome to Ponyville Scruffy’.

“Really, Pinkie? ‘Scruffy’ is what you came up with?” Rainbow asked.

“Eh, good enough.” Pinkie replied with a grin. “It’s at least as good as ‘big guy’, right?” She said and giggled.

“While I can agree that it’s something I would maybe use to describe his clothes, I’m not sure if that is something we should call him.” Rarity said.

“Aww but it’s just a nickname. I’m sure that Twilight will come up with some fancy name for him soon, like hippomuspotammus or something.”

“It’s hippopotamus.” Twilight corrected.

“Or maybe she’ll teach him to talk our language, so we can just ask what his real name is.” Pinkie said as she jumped up and wrapped her forelegs around the creature’s neck in a hug. The creature caught the pink mare in his hands and looked at her in bewilderment. “So until then, welcome to Ponyville, Scruffy!” Pinkie cheered.

********************

Twilight had to give it to Pinkie Pie, the party was actually a rather good idea. It was the perfect way to inform most of the town about Scruffy, as he was now dubbed. They would be able to recognize him, and would know that he’s harmless, so there wouldn’t be any misunderstandings, hopefully, if Scruffy decided to visit Ponyville again. Most of the ponies were curious to see the new creature that had been seen walking around in the town, and made sure to wave at the creature, who waved back at them. Scruffy was content to sit against a wall and watch as the ponies partied, and eat some of the delicious pastries that Pinkie had prepared.

As with all Pinkie Pie parties, it was top notch. Ponies were dancing and playing party games, or just hanging around with their friends and enjoying the treats. Or in Rainbow’s and Applejack’s case, having a friendly competition with each other. True to her word, Pinkie had invited the whole town to have a good time, and it seemed like most had decided to at least pass by. When the interior of Sugarcube Corner threatened to get too crowded, the ponies decided to move outside and keep dancing in the open air instead. With so many ponies there, they could easily move some of the tables and refreshments outside.

Twilight and Fluttershy had taken some time to try to tell Scruffy that that would be what they’d be calling him from now on. They would point at him and pronounce his new nickname clearly to him. They would also point at themselves and say their own names, and eventually he understood that they referred to him when they said Scruffy.

“S-S-Sh-Sh-Shru-Shruhhy.” He tried to imitate them, much to their surprise, since he hadn’t talked up to this point. However, it seemed that he had considerable difficulty getting the enunciation correct, no matter how much he tried. The same was met when he tried to say their names. They concluded that this was something they should look in to later, when they weren’t in the middle of a very loud party.

The party lasted for a long time, with ponies coming and going all the time. Eventually, Scruffy slipped out of the building in to the cool and fresh evening air. Fluttershy followed him outside, having noticed his absence. He smiled at her as he stretched his limbs. They both stopped and stood still when they suddenly heard an instrument playing that wasn’t coming from Sugarcube Corner. They followed the sound around the block to find a mint green unicorn sitting on a fountain with her eyes closed, playing a harp.

“Hey Lyra.” Fluttershy greeted as they approached.

“Oh, hey Flutters-…Woah!” Lyra almost fell backwards in to the fountain when she opened her eyes and noticed Scruffy. “So...you must be Scruffy, huh?” She continued.

“Pinkie came up with that name.” Fluttershy responded for him as they sat down next to Lyra.

“It does sound like her.” Lyra grinned and shook Scruffy’s hand.

“Why are you out here alone? If you…umm…don’t mind me asking.”

“Wanted to play my harp. Couldn’t play it at the party, with all the noise everypony is making.”

“The song you were playing...it sounded very beautiful.”

“Would you like to listen?”

“Mmhm.”

Lyra picked up her harp again, and started playing. All three of them closed their eyes as Lyra weaved her magic in to the night, and calm music filled the air. Scruffy had a serene smile on his face as they listened to Lyra’s music. He opened his eyes just in time to see the sun dip below the horizon, the last rays of sunlight disappearing, marking his first day in Ponyville to be over.

Author's Note:

Oh look! I finally had enough time to just sit down and write the dang chapter! Better late than never, eh? :pinkiecrazy:

Lots of things happening in this chapter, and I would consider this the end of the 'first arc' of the story. Scruffy has been introduced to the ponykind, and there is no getting rid of him now, especially with all the food they are giving to him!

We'll be getting to the slice of life part of this story, where we'll have Scruffy interact with the denizens of Ponyville. I'll probably be following a sort of short story style with the coming chapters, with each telling about it's own encounter with somepony. We'll see. :twilightsmile:

Hopefully you enjoyed the chapter, and as always, do leave a comment and criticism if you have any. :pinkiehappy:

PreviousChapters Next