• Published 4th Jul 2012
  • 6,120 Views, 132 Comments

Blueblood's Blush. - Sophocoles



Prince Blueblood meets The Great and Powerful Trixie.

  • ...
8
 132
 6,120

Chapter 7

Trixie stumbled off the stage after the crowd had left from her late night show. Her collection bag was very very light for such a display. Today she had tried her hardest to put on her very best act. She even used the chainsaw this time, but to no avail. Only about twelve ponies showed up today, and even they seemed bored or unimpressed. A mere 3 bits sat in her bag.

The blue mare sighed and sat in the shade backstage, shielded from anypony’s wandering eyes. There she thought for a bit in the late night breeze. Lately she had been thinking some terrible thoughts, and they just wouldn’t leave her alone.

Now, normally the mare would move to a different city after one or two shows. That way, she could meet new ponies and earn more money; but ever since the prince, she had been staying in Canterlot so they could go on their frequent dates. She had thoroughly enjoyed his company and quite liked the white stallion. Though he had his moments of snobbiness and being plain old whiny, Blueblood was a keeper.

The prince showed his true colors when the two ponies talked. The mare could see just how much Blueblood cared for her. He would always stand very close to her on their walks and his smile would never vanish. He would even try to prolong their nuzzling. He just loved being around her; but really, who doesn’t like being around The Great and Powerful Trixie?

Whenever she told of her far off journies, his eyes would grow wide, as if trying to imagine the place she spoke of. He would ask question after question, eager to learn more of the strange lands. She had guessed that he never really had the chance to travel.

The lack of money had taken its toll on Trixie. She was sickly and weak. The mare was sure that she had some sort of flu from the rain on the trip over to Canterlot, and it didn’t help that the only full meals she had in the past three days were from the prince. Eventually, she’d either have to move to a different city or consult with Blueblood. Leaving didn’t sound inviting to her.

After gathering her supplies, the mare walked home through the hot winds. They danced on her face, helping with the removal of the thoughts. She didn’t want to leave; no, she wouldn’t leave. She couldn’t just leave the prince... she wasn’t that heartless.

The mare thought on the subject for a moment longer before deciding that she’d just have to try harder. More BANG to attract a bigger audience. That’s it! Maybe Trixie was just getting old and boring. Well, not on her watch. More fireworks and more jaw-dropping magic MUST be the key, yes!

She trotted home, head held high, quite proud of her new ideas. The door swung open and Trixie crossed the threshold, tossing her box aside. She made her way to the kitchen and took a bite of the hay on the counter before sitting at her mirror and proceeding to brush her mane.

The pictures all around the mirror looked down upon her. Photos of her former self hung on the wall smirked at her. They almost looked as if they could be laughing at her. She could hear them now. ‘Look at yourself. What a disgrace.’ ‘All this for a prince? My my, you must be desperate.’ ‘ What a fool. You’ll die of starvation before anypony actually cares about you.’ Their voices rung in her ears from all directions. They seeped into her brain and tore at her heart, trying to get her to crack.

She drew back, feeling tears well up in the corners of her eyes. The brush fell from her magic’s grip and tumbled to the floor with a clatter. Hot tears streamed down her face as she tried to block out the voices. She could hear them. Laughing at her and mocking her, tearing her down.

Her eyes wandered to the photos of her foster mother. She could see her reassuring smile and warm eyes, looking into her heart and filling it with love. The mare allowed herself to mirror the smile and nuzzle the picture.

It’d been about five years since the passing of her foster mother. Trixie hadn’t brought herself to go back to the city where she died. Maybe that was part of the reason she traveled. She just couldn’t bring herself to stay in one place, to get too close to anypony. It would hurt her too much for something to happen. If somehow something happened to Blueblood, she knew it would be all her fault. Just like with her mother.

Getting close to Blueblood was very risky for Trixie. There were many others before him, most total scumbags who didn’t deserve to walk the earth. Eventually, she just stopped caring and ignored them. The prince was different, however. He was... true. He seemed like something good, something to hold onto. So, Trixie allowed herself to try once more.

The mare placed the picture back down on the desk and sighed. She could recall the day her foster mother passed away.

--

It was a bright sunny day in Fillydelphia. Trixie had decided to go to the street corner and entertain a few of the ponies there with her little magic tricks and show off the new hat and cape that her mom sewed for her earlier. She had even come up with a stage name, The Great and Powerful Trixie. There she stood, playing around with the little ones and performing magic tricks for about three hours. It was always so much fun. The fillies would look up to her and say, “I wanna be like you when I grow up!”. Trixie loved them dearly, they were like her own brothers and sisters.

Once the sun sunk into the horizon, Trixie started her way home. Her brand new cape flowed in the wind as if mirroring how she felt in the inside. She was proud of herself for making those young ones so happy. She must truly be a great pony if all of them wanted to be just like her.

Trixie crossed the corner that led to her house, nose held high in pride. Then she noticed something. There was a slight orange glow in the distance, right about where her house stood.

Her pace quickened, slightly concerned and wondering as to what could be going on. Then the smell hit her. The stench of burnt hay and wood stung in her nose as her trot turned into a canter.

Now she could see it. Her entire house was enveloped in a huge roaring flame. Firefighters were working on the house, spraying it with water. There were about twelve ponies in total, each providing a constant stream onto the fire.

Trixie ran up, her eyes wide with fear and disbelief. Her gaze flew over the small crowd that had gathered to see the commotion. She observed all the faces, scanning for her mother’s.

After a few seconds of searching she came to the conclusion that her mom was not in the crowd, so she must have been inside.

The mare tried to make her way to the door, as if her mom would come out and hug her to make all the fire go away. She was nearly to the flaming door when a firefighter stopped her.

“Hey, stay back kid.” He scowled down at her and pushed her away. His coat was yellow but smeared with the dirty ash from her burning house. The tips of his mane were singed and brittle from the flames.

“No! My mom’s in there!” Trixie desperately tried to push past him and get to the house, but he was too strong.

“I said stay here.” He forced her into a sitting position and went back to fighting the fire. The twelve ponies did their best to make the fire stop, but it just kept burning until it finally fell to the floor.

Tears flowed down the blue mare’s eyes as she watched her home burn to the ground. Every moment she waited to see her mother walk out of the flames and hug her. She couldn’t be gone, it was impossible. She didn’t allow herself to even think of her as dead. She MUST be safe in the hospital or something. Maybe she went out for groceries at the last minute. One thing was sure though. She was NOT dead.

Trixie then spent a long time in the police office, sitting in a chair in a corner. Her tears hadn’t stopped their flow since she left the pile of ashes that was once her home. She still couldn’t accept it. She was NOT dead.

A pony walked up to her and removed his cap. “I’m sorry, ma’am. She’s gone. We couldn’t get her out in time.” The man had a straight look on his face. It was obvious that he didn’t care. How could he not care? Trixie had just lost everything she cared about. Her mother was gone, her house was gone, everything.

“NO!” Trixie stomped down a hoof, desperate to see her mother. “Take me to her!” She couldn’t be dead. She couldn’t die. Not without saying goodbye.

“Listen, ma’am. She’s gone. There is nothing I can do.” He turned his back on the mare and walked back to his desk. “Now, if you are having trouble relocating, we’d be happy to set you up with limited financial support.” He shuffled a few papers and placed his glasses back on his nose.

Trixie’s mom just died and all he could talk about was money? How could he be so insensitive? How could he not see how much pain the mare was going through? Trixie stuttered for a bit before more tears sprung from her eyes. She couldn’t relocate, at least, not now. That was the last thing on her mind! What about her mom?! Why didn’t anypony care?

Trixie babbled incoherently for a few minutes, not sure of what to say. Then she ran. She ran and ran away from Fillydelphia. Far far away, where nopony would recognize the once caring and loving Trixie. From then on she started her show business career in order to support herself. Eventually, she was able to move on, but it still hurt her to think about it.


--

The mare curled up into a ball on her couch, trying to think happy thoughts. At least she would get to see Blueblood tomorrow. That was always fun, and she felt so happy and safe with him. They would hopefully get some food and maybe go for another walk. Trixie liked the simple dates. Most of all, she liked Blueblood. He was so much more than all of the other stallions she had in her life. He was special.

Trixie started to drift off, prepared for the upcoming day. Whatever the prince had planned, she hoped it involved food. She knew whatever it was, they would have fun. And she slipped off, content with her thoughts of food and love, ready for anything the next day might throw at her.