• Published 11th Jan 2017
  • 1,263 Views, 101 Comments

Angels Among Us - Dash32



Applejack and Rainbow Dash are drafted into war. Years later, the war ends in tragedy. How will the Humane 7 cope?

  • ...
7
 101
 1,263

Chapter 1

Canterlot. A quiet, somewhat peaceful town. Home of the Friendship Games. Home of the Humane 7. At least it was...before the war.

The day started out normal. Sunny skies, cool weather. Not a cloud in sight. But all of that changed while the Humane 7 were spending their time doing their usual routine standing in front of the statue.

Each girl had a smile on their face and was laughing, until they heard a noise in the distance.

“Ya'll hear that?” Applejack asked.

Sunset Shimmer, the newest addition to the group took a second to listen.

“I hear it too. What is that?” She asked.

The noises got louder and louder until the school yard was flooded by Humvee's and a Boeing CH-47 Chinook. Seconds later, a man garbed in digital camouflage exited the chopper and approached the girls.

“Can we help you?” Sunset asks.

“Yes you may. We need two girls by the names of Rainbow J. Dash and Jacqueline O. Apple.”

“That's us.” Applejack replied.

“You too need to come with us.” Said the man.

Rainbow Dash crossed her arms over her chest and glared at him.

“Says who?” She asks.

“Says the United States Military. You two are being drafted.”

“Whoa whoa whoa whoa...drafted?! For what?!” Rainbow asked again.

“To fight in the war. The military is running low on good men and women. So the President has ordered a draft.”

“But...that means we'll have to leave everything behind. Our friends...our family...all of it.”

“I'm sorry. I wish it had not come to this. But this needs to happen if we are going to win this war and ensure the safety of this country.” He replied.

Applejack sighed in defeat.

“C'mon Dash. No use in arguin'. If'n the man says we gotta go. We better listen. Sir?”

“Please. Call me Admiral Stone.”

“Right. Admiral Stone. D'ya mind if we say goodbye first, since we don't know when we're comin' back?”

Admiral Stone got a sad look in his eye.

“I can't promise that either of you will come back at all. But take all the time you need.”

“Thanks.”

As he stood and watched, the two girls started saying their goodbyes to their friends. Rainbow Dash walked up to Pinkie Pie.

“Well. He he. I...uh...guess I'll see ya later Pinks. If I don't make it back...Pinkie Promise you'll never stop smiling.”

Pinkie Pie immediately grabbed Rainbow Dash in a bone crushing hug with tears pouring from her eyes.

“Oh Dash! Please come back! We'll all be super sad without you two! I wanna bake a big welcome home cake for you girls! Now go kick meanie butt!!”

“Pinkie...can't...breathe!! Need...air!!!”

Pinkie pie immediately released her friend and blushed.

“Oops. Sorry!”

Rainbow Dash smiled and hugged Pinkie back, gentler than Pinkie had done.

“I'm gonna miss you Pinks.”

“You too Dashie...”

Rainbow Dash let go and walked over to Rarity before giving her a smile.

“Well...heh...it's been fun. We sure got on each other's nerves didn't we?”

“Yes, quite.”

Rarity suddenly trapped her rainbow haired friend in a hug. Rainbow returned the embrace.

“Be safe darling.”

“I'll try Rares. I promise. Tell ya what. I'm only going to do this once because you're my friend. But how about when me and Applejack come back I let you make us some new outfits. Sound good?”

Rarity smiled and teared up.

“That sounds lovely. We'll all miss you while you are gone.”

“We'll miss you girls too. And we will do our damnedest to come back in one piece.”

“You'd better.”

Finally after what seems like an eternity, the two friends let go and departed. Rainbow stopped in front of Twilight, who had been clenching her fists to keep from crying.

“Like I just got done telling Rarity, we are gonna miss you girls.”

“You too. Please make it back.”

“I'm sure as hell gonna try Twi. I promise that.”

Twilights barrier finally broke and she let out heavy sobs. Rainbow Dash wrapped her in a hug.

“Hey hey...shhh. I'll do my best to come back. But even if I don't...don't let the grief consume you.”

Twilight sniffed and nodded before Rainbow Dash broke the hug and walked over to Sunset Shimmer.

“Hey.”

“Hey.” Sunset replied.

“So I guess this is it huh?”

Sunset fixed Rainbow with a stern glare.

“Don't ever talk like that. You'll make it back in one piece. You have to have faith Dash. I believe in you both just like you believed in me all those years ago. Just go out there, kick ass, and come back home. We'll be waiting for you.”

Rainbow Dash smiled.

“You got it.”

“Stay safe Dash.”

“You know I will Sunset.”

With nothing else to say, Rainbow Dash walked over to the only person she hasn't said goodbye to yet. Fluttershy was visibly shaking and heavily sobbing. Rainbow Dash frowned and tightly gripped her girlfriend into a hug.

“It's alright babe. Go ahead. Let it all out.”

Fluttershy buried her face in Rainbows shoulder and continued to cry. Neither said anything for a while until Fluttershy raised her head and looked into Rainbow's magenta eyes.

“P-Please don't go...please...” She whispered shakily.

“I wish I didn't have to Flutters. But you know how it works. If you get drafted you HAVE to go or else you get prison time. I have to do this babe. If I could I would stay here with you.”

Rainbow looked over to Applejack who was currently wrapping Rarity into a teary-eyed grip.

“We have to do this Fluttershy. And I swore a long time ago that I would do anything to keep you safe. Even if that means sacrificing my life for those I love.”

Both girls were in tears. Rainbow took a deep breath and continued.

“I promise, when I get back I am never leaving you again. I Pinkie Promise. It'll be okay Flutters. You won't even notice I'm away.”

“That's not true...”

Rainbow Dash cupped Fluttershy's face in her hands.

“I love you Flutters.”

“I-I love you so much Dashie...”

Rainbow started to tear up again.

“I want you to have something.”

Rainbow took out a pendant and opened it. Inside was a small photograph of Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash as kids. It was the day Rainbow stood up for her against the bullies. Upon seeing the picture Fluttershy covered her mouth with one hand and held the pendant with the other.

“Oh Dashie! Please come back. It would tear me apart if you were taken from us. Please!”

Grasping her girlfriend in another hug she attempted to calm her down.

“It's okay hun. If I don't come back, remember this...I didn't go out without a fight, and you were always on my mind and in my heart. And if I don't make it back. Know that I love you and always have.” Rainbows voice cracked a bit as her eyes started welling up with tears.

“I love you too Dashie...”

After a few minutes the girls had said their goodbyes and were about to depart. But Applejack suddenly stopped for something else.

“Hey Sunset?”

“What is it AJ?”

Applejack removed her hat and places it into the redheads hands.

“Give this to Apple Bloom for me will ya? Just in case Ah don't make it back?”

Sunset tried to stop the tears from leaking out and nodded.

“I will AJ. You two just come home safe.”

“Thanks. Well, Ah guess we better get going. C'mon Dash.”

“Alright. Hey ‘Shy? Tell Scoots I said goodbye for me would ya?”

“I will Dashie...”

“Thanks...”

The two girls entered the back of the Chinook before taking their seats. As the loading door closed, Applejack and Rainbow Dash waved goodbye to their friends. The door closed and the helicopter took to the air and the Humvee's drove out of sight.