• ...
9
 73
 3,910

A Strange Introduction: Part 7

A Strange Introduction

Rarity sighed. It was a slow day, with few customers and no orders to fill. Usually this would be a welcome moment of relaxation for the unicorn, but her thoughts plagued her, filling her with anxiety, worry and longing for her stallion house guest. She looked up at the clock. It was half past 2. She thought for a moment. "Hmm...well Soul will be picking up the girls from school soon...I don't think he'd mind if I accompanied him. Besides, he could use a little help making sure they don't get into trouble." She stood up and walked out the door, flipping the "Open" sign to "Closed" on the way.

***

Rarity arrived at the library five minutes later, subconsciously trotting faster than normal. She opened the front doorand poked her head in, calling out. "Twilight~! I'm here to accompany your guest to the school!" When she looked around, however, she found the main room of the library to be empty. She walked inside and searched all of the main floor. She was starting to get worried before a thought occurred to her. "Oh, they're probably doing some experiments in the basement." She scolded herself before going to the basement door. She went to turn the doorknob, but stopped as she heard voices.

"Soul, you're brilliant! I've never even thought of doing this!"

"Heh, it was nothing."

Rarity smiled behind the door. 'So modest,' she thought.

"I'm serious, you were amazing! I'm surprised you don't have your Cutie Mark now!"

"Well, it's not that impressive You did most of the work, I just told you what to do."

"You're kidding, right? Just look at it! Its huge! I'm just glad Spike isn't here, he'd be really angry if he found out."

Rarity's eyes widened. "No," she whispered.

"Well, I'd be glad to help you do it again anytime. Though you're so smart you probably don't even need me to help."

"Well, I don't know about that. Besides, I'd prefer it if you came around every once in a while. It gets lonely here sometimes, and like-minded company is always fun."

"Well sure. I enjoyed it too, so I'll make sure to come around again to do this again. Maybe we could even do other things. I have a lot of ideas we could try."

"That'd be great."

Rarity didn't hear anymore; she ran out of the library with tears in her eyes and a pain in her chest.

***

Soul's ears pricked up. "Did you hear a for close just now?" He asked Twilight, who shook her head. "Hmm. Oh well."

"What should we do with this gem?" She gestured towards the massive gem on a table by the wall. "Spike will be really mad that we used his stash for our experiments."

"Well, we increases it to seven times it's original size. Just break it into smaller pieces so he can eat them."

"Yeah I suppose. But really Soul, this is amazing. This could end the gem shortage in Draconia! If they start to run low on them again they can just get some Unicorns to grow them again."

"I know. I'm just glad I managed to fix it so it doesn't put strain on the atoms. It would be very bad if they used the spell too many times and accidentally split the atoms and made a black hole." Twilight just started blankly at him as he looked up at the clock. "I should probably get going. I'm going to help the Crusaders figure out what their special talents are." Twilight giggled at this, confusing Soul. "What?" He asked, agitated.

"We all know what their talents are." She said smiling.

Soul cocked his head. "What." It wasn't a question this time.

She nodded her head. "Uh huh. In fact, I think the only ponies who don't know what their talents are are themselves."

"Then why doesn't someone just tell them?"

"Discovering your special talent is an important part in every ponies lives, and should only come to them when the time is right."

"Oh." Soul blinked."Wait, what about me, then? You're helping me find my special talent!" He said accusingly.

"Well, you're different. You had your Cutie Mark, but lost it and your memory."

Soul shook his head and tutted. "Hypocrisy." Twilight just laughed.

"Come on, Neighstein. Go play with the Crusaders. Just make sure they don't do anything too destructive or destructive, okay?"

"Sure thing. And I'll make sure not to tell them their special talents if I happen to find out what they are." With that he trotted back up the staircase as Twilight materialised a sledgehammer and turned to face the massive gem.

***

Soul arrived at the school house just as the bell rung for class to end for the day. "Maybe uncanny timing is my special talent," he muttered to himself. As soon as he walked in the gate he got tackled to the ground by something small and fuzzy.

"Soul! You're here! See, you guys, I told you he'd be here!" Soul looked up from the ground and saw that the ball of fuzz that had knocked him to the ground was Sweetie Belle, and Applebloom and Scootaloo weren't far behind her and joined in with the dog pile. The rest of the class flowed out of the classroom to see what was happening. Soul looked at Cheerilee and smirked.

"Hello again, Cheerilee. I'd give you a proper greeting, but I seem to have been commandeered by adorable pirates." The teacher smiled before clearing her throat.

"Girls, could you let Soul stand up please?" The Crusaders did as they were told and moved off of Soul who stood up. "Class, I'd like you to meet Soulsilver. He recently lost his memory and will be staying in Ponyville for a while." Soul frowned.

"What do you mean? This place is great! Why would I want to leave?" Cheerilee chuckled at this before turning back to the class.

"You're dismissed, children. And remember, tomorrow is a student free day!" Most of the class all filed out of the gate, discussing what they were going to do with their day off, leaving only Soul, Cheerilee and the Cursaders in front of the school house as two young fillies walked up to Soul and stuck their noses up at him.

"This is the stallion everypony's been talking about?" said the one with glasses and a spoon Cutie Mark. "Not very impressive."

"Looks like they weren't lying about him being a Blank Flank." Said the one with a Cutie Mark of a diamond encrusted tiara, and was wearing a matching actual tiara on her head. "He's a total loser. Come on, Silver Spoon, let's get out of here. For all we know he's got some Blank Flank disease." She walked out the gate.

"You said it, Diamond Tiara." Silver Spoon followed her friend. Soul stood there for a moment before whistling.

"Those two were about as sweet as lemons." He said, bringing a laugh out of the others. "So, what did you girls want to do?"

Scootaloo perked up. "I was thinking of all the cool stunts that Rainbow Dash does! So I want to see if being a stunt pony is my special talent!"

Soul stared at her. "That...actually sounds safer than most of the things I've heard about you girls. Well, as long as no explosives are involved and you have the proper safety equipment, that is."

The orange pegasus started jumping around excitedly. "ALRIGHT! LET'S GO!" All three grabbed his forelegs and started dragging him out the gate. Soul looked back at the bemused teacher.

"I suppose I'll talk to you later, then, Cheerilee." The magenta mare waved goodbye and went back into the school house.

***

"I take back everything I said." Soul and the Crusaders had made their way to the lake near town, where they found a catapult waiting for them, making Soul wonder if the girls had planned this. He was currently having a helmet and goggles slapped onto his head as they shoved him into the end of the arm of the machine, facing out towards the lake.

"It'll be fine, don't worry." Scootaloo said as she tried to guess how far the stallion would go.

"Ah don't know, Scootaloo." Said Applebloom, rubbing the back of her head. "This doesn't seem like somethin' that a pony should be doing th' day after they get out of hospital."

"He'll be fine! He's a pegasus, if anything goes wrong he can just use his wings to straighten himself out."

"Wait what?!" Sweetie Belle gasped. "But he-"

"Less talk and more action!" Scootaloo interrupted and pulled the lever, sending Soul flying into the air.

As Soul rushed through the air, he found that it felt amazing it was to be airborne. The wind blowing past his ears and through his mane relaxed him. He looked down and that feeling was shattered as he saw how far up he was, and that he had gone right over the lake and was heading straight for the trees on the opposite side of the lake. He clenched his eyes shut and braced for impact, but it never came. He opened his eyes and saw that he was hovering above the trees, having stopped just short of them. He looked back and saw that he was flying, using his wings to keep himself afloat. As he was about to celebrate, he stopped flapping his wings and fell into the tree, hitting several branches on his way to the ground.

"That was...something." He mumbled as he got up. He had already healed the bruises he had sustained and started to make his way back to the Crusaders. When he got back to the catapult he found the girls arguing.

"It would have worked, if you had it set up properly!" Scootaloo accused Applebloom.

"Ah would've been able ta if you hadn't pulled the lever!" Applebloom shot back.

"Oh, this is bad! Rarity is going to be so mad at me!" Sweetie Belle was just rocking back and forth with her head in her hooves.

"What did I miss?" He called out to them, snapping them out of their worry. They all rushed over to him and started to speak at once.

"SoulI'msosorryIshouldn'thavepulledthelever-"

"Ahshouldhavemadesureitwasworkingbeforeputtingyouin-"

"Iwassoworriedthatyouwerehurtareyouhurt-"

"Girls, I'm fine! Just a couple of scratches." He said, trying to calm them down. "Besides, I managed to fly a little. Kind of. So it was worth it." This made them, particularly Scootaloo, perk up in excitement.

"REALLY? What was it like? How fast did you go? Did you do any tricks?" She asked excitedly.

Soul chucked. "Well, if you count stopping myself from crashing head first into a tree as a trick, then yes. Though I still need some teaching before I can fly properly."

"Then why don't you get Rainbow Dash ta teach ya?" Applebloom asked. "She's a good flier."

"A GOOD flier?" Scootaloo questioned. "You mean the BEST flier in ALL of Equestria! She will have Soul flying like a pro in no time."

"Not a bad idea. I'll talk with her about it tomorrow. For now, maybe we aught to take the catapult to Sweet Apple Acres then head home. I've had my fill of Crusading for today." The three fillies agreed, nodding slowly. "I should probably get some ingredients for dinner tonight."

Sweetie gasped. "I forgot about that! What are you going to make us?"

"If I tell you then it's it's not going to be much of a surprise, is it?" He asked, smirking.

***

Rarity headed home as fast as she could after leaving the library, and ran upstairs and into her bedroom to cry into her pillow. "I should have seen this coming. Of course he loves Twilight, she saved his life. Oh, why do I always set myself up for disappointment? He was only playing with my heart!" She rolled over onto her back, clutching the pillow to her chest. "Why do I even feel this way about him? He's just a smelly no good heart breaker who thinks he can just play with others!" She got up and walked angrily to the bathroom to look at herself in the mirror.

"Well," she said after a moment. "He didn't exactly know how I felt...and he is allowed to be with anyone he wants...maybe I just ought to accept it. It is not worth it to lose a friendship over something as petty as this. In fact, I shall do everything I can to help their relationship along! Though they do seem to be quite...acquainted with each other already, they simply must go on a date! I'll even set the whole thing up for them, as a surprise, as Pinkie would say." Her monologue was interrupted as she heard the door downstairs open.

"Hey Rarity, we're back! I'm gonna start dinner!" She heard Soul call out. Rarity smiled softly.

'That doesn't mean that I can't enjoy him being a gentlecolt, however,' she thought.

***

Alrighty, I finally got this one done. And I don't like it one bit. It just feels really rushed to me, but I can't think of anything to do to improve it. Well, at least it didn't take 3 months to come out again, so that's a plus. Anyways, you all know the drill. Rate, comment, tell me what the heck I can do to improve it and all that.

Comments ( 13 )

I-N-N-U-E-N-D-O!
Well, this will be awkward to explain...

Things to improve:
"This could the gem shortage in Draconia!" END the gem shortage.
"I just aught to accept it." OUGHT to accept it.
You could keep updating. That ought to keep many readers happy.

262027 Ah, thanks for pointing those out. :heart:

This has the potential to be more than a little awkward.:twilightblush:

Ah few error's here and there but otherwise i quite liked it. keep it up!

It's still awesome! Can't wait for the next chapter!

He looked back and saw that he was flying, using his wins to keep himself afloat.
wings

Sweetie gasped. "I forgot about that! What are you going to make us?"
"If I do then it's not much of a surprise, is it?" He asked, smirking.
"If I tell you then it's it's not going to be much of a surprise, is it?"

You keep writing and I'll keep reading.

263437 Fixed. It's observant readers like you that I love, because I can count on you to notice the mistakes my lazy ass makes. :heart: :heart:

263946

I know how you feel. I must have checked over the first chapter from my story (Shameless self promotion) a dozen times, and the first prereader still sent me back tonnes of mistakes. Hell, I'm still finding them! I guess thats what I get for making a 6000+ word chapter.

Have loved this story so far! Please keep up the good work!
If you do not come back with a new chapter soon, the you shall deal with the
sadness of a thousand Appleblooms!
:applecry: :applecry::applecry:

539375 He did not died. I am working on the next chapter right now. There needs to be a cure for writers block this bad.

But i heard u can't put slice of life and adventure in the same story werereaaahagagh

Noo!!!! cliffhangers I hate them. Good job seriously this is awesome. Keep up the good work soldier.

Login or register to comment