• Published 8th Jan 2017
  • 740 Views, 52 Comments

The Lunar Chalice - Spirals95



A magical chalice prized to Princess Luna has resurfaced in the collection of a wealthy Griffon family. To retrieve the enchanted cup, she sends one of her followers and his friends. But some of Equestria's enemies have plans for the chalice.

  • ...
1
 52
 740

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 2 - Midnight Blaze's Calling

Chapter 2

Just a few miles away from Fillydelphia, an arcane oddities shop sat out near the roads that led out of the large city. Into The Mystic, a humble yet surreal store to visit, was the home of Midnight Blaze, who perfected his art of crafting magical tools and quite often a joke item or two as well. The inside of the cluttered store was lined with his various inventions, but almost all of his business came from the sales of control runes he crafted using his magic, stones imbued with magical energy that activated machinery and defenses in castles and factories across Equestria, such as shields and energy cages to trap pests. It was this more frequent business outside his shop that let him continue to live and operate his store, which didn't see all too many guests. A blue unicorn, with a black mane and tail like a wolf's, his lighter blue eyes and stripe in his mane hair failed to convey his quirky nature and friendliness once you got to know him.

Midnight was finishing up the process of closing down his store, dusting the long wooden shelves like a library in the open, darkened room, with strange chandeliers lighting the place becoming dimmer. He had received his letter from Techorse earlier this morning, asking him to meet him at the train station in Canterlot by four in the afternoon, with the urgent note that Princess Luna needed his help in locating an artifact. Since magic tools were his specialty, the unicorn was aware Techorse was trusting his expertise in the matter and was gearing up to go help.

He waved around a duster made from ostrich feathers over the shelves, cleaning up some of the filth from the past week, when he heard the chimes hung above his shop's door ring.

"We're closed," called out the blue-coated stallion, "I'm shutting down early today, I have to go help a friend."

"I'm sure you have time for me... son."

Midnight Blaze's heart sagged, his throat tightening up for a bit.

"No, not now..." he cried inside.

"Hello father," answered Midnight in an uninterested manner.

He dropped the feather duster on the shelf just as his parent came around the shelf to face his son. Ignitus was a large, overbearing unicorn with a reddish coat, a strict look in his eyes colored like hot coals. His mane, black like his son's but with gold highlights instead of light blue, further contrasted him from his offspring, right down to the nature of their cutie marks. His was a flaming shield overlaid with a short sword, while Midnight's was an inverted crescent with a supernova in the center. About the only thing they had in common was their exposed hooves style of coat hair on their legs, even then, that was concealed by Ignitus's dark trench coat.

"I've come to talk to you," he said to his son.

"I figured," answered Midnight, twisting it with just enough sarcasm to irritate his father.

The older stallion grumbled, then continued, "Listen, I've received word on your upcoming travel to help Princess Luna. I think it'll be good for you to see what it's like to travel like I do, helping to solve other's problems, instead of sitting here tinkering. It could be a good lead into you becoming a member of the Royal Guard like your 'uncle', and myself."

Midnight tried not to let his blood boil over the commentary. His father had always wanted him to become a soldier just like himself. But Ignitus had left the Canterlot ranks years ago to become a wandering defender of Equestria, working more as a private investigator than a true guard. Midnight hated how his father left his mother and younger brother at home so often to "fight the good battle" out in Equestria, which in this day and age meant just solving a case or simply preventing a robbery.

"Why can't you just leave off about the guard already?" groaned Midnight, "I bring in a plenty good living making runes here like your grandparents did..."

"My grandparents did not have the same life as myself," interrupted the elder, sneering at his son, "we've been over this. I must help with Equestria's problems, it is our duty as a family to do so."

"Which you've never explained," countered Midnight, scowling, "leaving the rest of your family out in the cold without telling us why."

"You don't need to know why," sighed Ignitus, "trust me when I say you don't want to know. Now, if you like this quest, will you please consider giving up on this stupid inventing hobby of yours and becoming a real stallion?"

"Dad, Techorse is also an inventor, ya know, the pony I'm helping out?" growled the son, "We have the same exact hobby."

The father knew he was going to say that, and knowing he had his son in a trap, sprung it on him mercilessly, "And when was the last time you crafted a decent weapon like Techorse? I've heard of his exploits before, my foal, those new 'laser cannons' and his monster-busting 'battle saddle'. He's a warrior and a friend to us all."

"Yeah well, he hates using them, if you knew him," sighed Midnight, shaking his head, "he always feels bad after getting into a scrape. I've been right there when it's happened."

"I didn't say you had to like being a fighter for Equestria, just that it needs to happen, instead of this dead-end dream you have of creating some gap-closing device that will bring earth ponies and unicorns in line," Ignitus explained.

Midnight felt crushed. His project, the mindstones which would allow a single pony to control an object belonging to them using just their thoughts, was his life dream to help earth ponies manage tools meant for unicorns. Techorse had been successful with a kitchen appliance business along the same lines, and he wanted to contribute to society as well. Every time his father showed up though, it was the same thing, that his dream was idiotic and that he should give up doing what he loves, what his cutie mark meant, to pursue his own vision of what his son should be like.

"If you loved me, you'd support me," he said, sniffling a bit, trying not to cry.

Ignitus felt a twinge of pity, but he had to remain strong for his reasoning, "I do care about you, Midnight. It's why I push you."


"Well, you're pushing me away," answered the young one, "now get out, I need to go to Canterlot and catch the train."

"Very well, but promise me you'll take this with you," asked the unicorn, his horn glowing orange as he presented a gift to Midnight magically.

It was a small brown paper package, wrapped up with plain string. Midnight took it and inspected it with his own magical aura, looking over it.

"Open it, please."

Midnight unwrapped the package, revealing a fine leather notebook in blue, with his own cutie mark on the front.

"A personalized journal?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

"A travel log... but yes, you're right," answered his now smiling parent, "and there's a fresh pen inside too. Use it to keep track of your progress."

"Sure," he muttered, taking it with him as he walked over to his saddlebags, packed with some of the things he thought he would need for the long journey ahead, "I need to close up shop, dad. Can you please get going?"

Ignitus said not another word, only following his son's instructions as he stepped outside. Midnight came out soon with his bags tied at his sides, locking his shop with his key before giving his father one last look of contempt. The red unicorn stood there as he watched Midnight walk away from him, shaking his head slowly. He remained lost in thoughts about his son until long after he had left, and eventually decided he needed to return to his latest case.

A few steps away from the shop, however, and he rapidly spun around, drawing a small dagger out from underneath his trench coat magically.

"Who's there?" he demanded.

The figure on top of the magic shop snickered, "It's only your cousin, Ignitus. Put the letter opener back in your pocket."

From off the roof of the building jumped Captain Arbiter Axechop, a white pegasus pony, as big as Ignitus with a blue cape clasped around his neck, the clasp containing an image of his cutie mark, a broad axe formerly meant for darker purposes. Most notably, Arbiter was missing his left eye, a dark scar through the organ remained, and a black eyepatch covered the wound. Arbiter had been Canterlot's replacement Captain after Shining Armor went to work with Cadance in the Crystal Empire. In fact, Shining had replaced Ignitus years before, but Ignitus's "discovery" caused him to leave his work, and start his investigation job.

The cape drooped to the ground as Arbiter stepped forward to face his relative, a sinister snicker in his voice.

"That was a rather blunt conversation with your son, don't you think?" asked Arbiter, smirking.

"I'd appreciate it if you didn't spy on my family," he answered sternly, "it's none of your business why Midnight won't become a soldier."

"Your choice of words gives everything away," laughed Arbiter, "I came here to talk to you about this adventure Princess Luna has Techorse going on with your son."

"Oh?" asked a curious Ignitus, eager to hear the likely overheard information.

"You seem to believe that by spending time with Techorse, Midnight will end up turning into a hero as well," said Arbiter, "I can tell you from experience that green stallion's no hero maker. Learned that the hard way."

"So I've heard," sighed Ignitus, "you just had to pick a fight with a friend of Twilight Sparkle's, didn't you? Honestly when I heard about what you had done, I believed it was the end of you, or worse... they'd cast you into Tartarus."

"Ignitus, this is the point I'm trying to make and why I had to follow you here," continued Arbiter, his good eye tracking his cousin as he walked around to avoid his gaze, "Techorse is not going to have the effect on your son you want. I viewed Techorse as an enemy, and he turned me into a... friendly rivalry, of sorts."

"You two are best of friends now after you tried to do him in?" chuckled Ignitus, a rare moment of genuine joy.

"We are not best friends!" grunted Arbiter, a blush forming, "I'm merely saying Techorse's mode of work is to crush his opponent, then offer them redemption, following in the footsteps of our own Element Holders. He isn't a soldier, nor does he want to be one."

Ignitus's ears folded back in disapproval, "You're saying I'm being set up for disappointment? My son's going to be stuck as a lousy gemcrafter for the rest of his life?"

Captain Arbiter frowned, frustrated with his cousin, and drew from a sheathe underneath his cape a longsword with amethyst gemstones glowing at the base of the hilt. The glowing stones tracked the Captain's eyes, and with their power, the sword floated in front of him as if being held.

"Your son's gem project has given me this sword, and my previous method of sword use," explained the Captain, "I think his place in Equestria is different from what you want, but it's still quite useful to the military if that makes you any happier."

He re sheathed the blade, taking note of Ignitus's subtle curiosity, and continued, "Look, I understand what you found out before everything changed in Equestria. It's definitely not comfortable, and it certainly explains my own tendencies and history as well. But don't end up like me Ignitus, don't sacrifice family for some sense of justice Equestria doesn't need."

"I suppose that's how we're alike," sighed Ignitus, "too cynical and too dark for a world glowing in Celestia's sunlight."

"Perhaps, but I think it's more of a matter of perspective, something we all need," he replied.

"You've changed, Arbiter..." trailed Ignitus as he sensed his cousin's newer nature.

"Well, I've seen the light," answered the pegasus, closing his one eye and smiling gently, "and perhaps Midnight's journey will help you see it as well. That's my hope anyways."

He spread his wings and stepped back, "Now, I must head back for Canterlot. I'm sure you have your own business to attend to."

"Of course, safe travels cousin," answered the red unicorn, nodding.

Arbiter took to the skies, his cape fluttering behind him, leaving his cousin to think about the conversation below. Perhaps he needed to change, and not his son as he had thought. But he wouldn't consider that option quite yet, there was still the possibility Arbiter was wrong, and that Techorse would make Midnight turn over a new leaf. The unicorn tightened the cords on his cloak, and slunk off to get back to work.


Midnight Blaze had managed to make it a few miles away from his shop on hoof, he could have tried a little teleportation to get ahead, but he couldn't stew on his father's ignorance while casting, so he elected to stare at the ground while mulling it all over. The path was lined with tall oak trees, the green leaves soaking in the early afternoon sun, and the gentle breeze of the spring moving the branches gently. From someplace in these trees, Midnight Blaze thought he could hear a voice calling to him.

"He doesn't understand. I do."

The uncanny message sounded almost like his father's voice, and Midnight Blaze stopped staring at the ground, looking up and around. There wasn't anypony around, certainly not his father. He decided it was probably just his imagination, and continued to walk forward.

"Do not worry, you will be by my side soon. All your dreams shall come to pass then."

That voice was definitely not a figment of his imagination. Midnight Blaze stopped and looked around rapidly, starting to panic.

"Who's there?!" he demanded, "This isn't funny!"

But the voice had stopped, it would not address him again.

"I must be so anxious about dad I'm hearing his voice in my head," the unicorn told himself, "and that's definitely not what I want to hear the whole time I'm helping out Tech. Gotta stop thinking about it and move on."

Midnight picked his head up, the distraction having stopped him from thinking about his father, and he trotted on, hoping he could still catch his train.

PreviousChapters Next