• Published 10th Jan 2017
  • 1,965 Views, 31 Comments

Earthbound - Fallen Angel N



Getting sucked into a land of talking ponies was the last thing Ethan expected...or wanted. Now faced with the task of trying to fit in, difficult questions will arise. Where am I? How can I get home? And did I leave the oven on...

  • ...
4
 31
 1,965

The Summer Sun Celebration

Author's Note:

u]Hey everyone. I know the whole taken to Equestria isn't exactly new so I'll make it up to you by making this story a good one. This is the start of what I hope will be a long successful series so I hope you enjoy it. If you don't mind, please leave a review or any of those other things if you liked it. It's really the only way to tell if anyone likes it or not. Plus that's where much of my motivation comes from. Well, enough babbling, enjoy. :)


The bell in school rang for the final time this summer. Everyone immediately got up and rushed out. Everyone, except for Ethan. He yawned, leaning back in his chair and smiling. There really wasn't any big rush for him to go anywhere, not anymore. He no longer had to be anywhere or do anything for quite a long time, and he was really looking forward to it. Packing up his stuff he got up and left.


"You ready for summer?" Ethan asked Trevor, one of his friends.

"No. Man, you're lucky. I gotta stay behind for summer classes."

"Alas." said Ethan putting his hand on his forehead for dramatic effect. "Not everyone is blessed with a keen intellect such as I."

"Yeah whatever..." Trevor said giving his shoulder a playful punch. "It's not like you did much better."


It was true, in order to stay behind, you had to fail two classes. Ethan failed psychology and came dangerously close to failing another, but came out lucky on the multiple choice final. He of course knew this, but still enjoyed rubbing it in.


"Today is the day of a glorious marathon my friend, a video game marathon."

"Must be nice being so carefree..." Trevor muttered.

"It sure is."


He actually was going to miss Trevor. These kinda things weren't so fun when doing them alone. He had a few friends, but they weren't REALLY friends. They were people he ate with and occasionally talked to. Those were just 'friendly people'. The ones you see everyday and give them a waive asking them. 'How are you doing?' and not really wanting an answer.


"Well, you won't be needing your Playstation 3 for the summer will you?" Ethan said throwing his arm around his friend's shoulder.

Trevor grunted. "I don't lend things to jerks."

"Me? A jerk?" Ethan said feigning innocence. "You have hurt my honor good sir."

"Uh huh. Sure."

"Pleeeeeease?"

*Sigh* "Fine, but you gotta come visit me often, seriously...don't leave me alone with all of this work."

"Deal. Now, let's get going."


Arriving at Trevor's house, he didn't wait for his friend to say he had company. Ethan proudly strolled in and shouted. "I'm home!"

Trevor rolled his eyes, and Trevor's mom chuckled. Ethan had always been the sort to welcome himself in, and probably did this to play around with Trevor.

"Well, how's it going 'son'?" she said playing along with Ethan's joke.

"Don't encourage him mom."

"Alright then."


Ethan made himself comfortable while Trevor told his folks about summer classes. Ethan wasn't in that room but could still hear some shouts. Trevor's dad walked out of the room. He wasn't exactly in a great mood.

"Hi dad." Ethan said trying to lighten the mood with a joke.

Trevor's dad frowned.

"How is it Trevor's having trouble, but a goofball like you can pass?"

"I bribed the teacher."


The man stared at him in shock, did he really?! Ethan burst into cackling laughter. Ethan did not have a normal laugh, it sounded like a cackle, an evil one.

"Jeez, I'm kidding! Take a joke."

He sighed. "Yeah, you're right. Just a bit upset I guess." The man eyed Ethan putting the Playstation in his backpack. "And what are you doing with that?"

"Trevor knew he'd have to work and improve over the summer and he didn't want to be distracted. So he loaned me this so he would work without any distractions."

"He loaned you his game so he could focus on work?" The dad said with surprise.

"Yep."


That wasn't exactly true. Trevor only loaned it to him because he knew he wouldn't be allowed to play. But if Ethan said that Trevor did this to focus on work, then they'd probably take it easier on his friend since they thought he was being diligent.

The dad scratched his head.

"Maybe I was a bit too hard on him."

"Maybe." Ethan said smiling devilishly. "I'll take my leave then."


He got up and moving to leave when Trevor came out of the room looking upset. Ethan gave him a secretive wink and kept going ignoring his friend's confusion. He started home, getting to the road and coming to a crosswalk. Pressing the button, he started walking after the signal came up. Halfway from crossing, a guy on a bike bumped into Ethan making him stumble.


"Hey! Watch it, jeez."

He watched the man ignore him and keep on peddling.

"Aw, forget him, today is the day of freedom."

Ethan got to the other side of the street. Putting in earbuds and reaching for his phone, he realized he dropped the phone in the street when bumped by the biker.

"Oh no..." he said as the light turned green and the cars rushed forward.


"No wai-"

*CRUNCH!*


He waited until it was safe and gingerly picked up his shattered phone, sighing as a few pieces of the screen fell to the ground.

"Well this is an interesting way to start the summer."

He started walking when his phone rang. Ethan looked at it with surprise, broken phones weren't exactly known for working.

"What the heck...?"


Mystified, he put his ear to the phone.

"Hello?"


A voice came through the phone.

"You are being called for something important...do you accept?"

"Of course I accept. I picked up the phone didn't I?"


The voice went quiet.

"Hello? Is this a prank? HELLO?"

There wasn't another response, did the phone finally break? What was that all about anyway? He sighed, pocketing the piece of scrap and moving on. Hopefully it wouldn't be too expensive to replace. Changing his mind to a more pleasant topic, he smiled as he felt the game system in his backpack. Unfortunately, his friend only had one game at the moment but it'd have to do. He home and immediately started setting it up humming a tune.


"Ah you're back."

Ethan turned around and spotted a woman in her early twenties in jeans and a tank top. Brown hair, blue eyes and a goofy grin.

"Hey sis."

"Come on little bro, what kind of greeting this that huh?"

"Tis a pleasure for mine eyes to grace your presence." Ethan said sarcastically.

"That so?"


She put him a headlock, laughing while he struggled. Unfortunately, she also seemed to have inherited enjoying teasing people, and it always seemed to fall on him to take it all.

"Now say it again, but this time mean it."

"Okay okay! Tis a pleasure for mine eyes to grace your presence!"


His sister let go of him with a satisfied grin and patted his head.

"Nice to see you too."

Ethan muttered and continued setting up the game. He couldn't really complain, he was living with her. She liked to mess with him but most of the time she never took it too far...most of the time.

"Nice game system, can I play?"

"No." he said gruffly fixing his hair.


"Oh come on." she said pouting. "Are you still mad? Guess I'll let you enjoy your game with your MANY friends."

Ethan winced when he heard that. Trevor was the only one he considered his friend.

"Hey, friendship is a about quality, not quantity."

She giggled.

"I'm sure your 'quality' is really paying off now that Trevor's not here. Still wanna play alone?"

His sister smiled and held out her hand. Ethan grumbled and tossed her a controller. Let's see how long she could keep that smug grin after playing against him.


They sat there and played for a couple of hours. Ethan absolutely destroyed his sister round after round.

"Jeez, couldn't you take it a LITTLE easier on your dear sis?"

"Nope."

"Well then, time to fight dirty."


She snatched his controller and tossed it the side.

"Hey! Cheater!" Ethan said laughing. He ran back, grabbed the controller and continued playing but she had taken a big lead that time.

"YES!"

She cheered as she won and laughed at him like he hadn't crushed her for the last two hours. She yawned and got up off the couch stretching after sitting for so long and plopped back down on the couch.

"I think I'll stop here. That makes me the undefeated champion." she teased.

"You only won once."

"Yeah, but I beat you and you haven't beaten me back, that makes me undefeated."

They both chuckled and sat there on the couch for a little until his sister broke the silence.


"So, how are your classes?"

"Alright, I'm doing pretty well I guess."

"That's good, you figure out what you wanna do with your life?"

Ethan dropped the controller in surprise.

"Wait...like...forever?"

"Yeah I guess."


"That's a pretty big question to hit someone with. Do YOU know what you want to do forever?"

"Yup, I wanna be a psychologist. Working in the nursing home right now. Not the most glamorous jobs I'll admit, but it's a step in the right direction."

"Oh..." Ethan said quietly

She put her arm around him.

"It's alright, you don't need to make this choice now, but keep it in mind. Because the time before you gotta make it might hit you sooner than you realize okay?"

"Okay..."


His sister yawned and started heading towards her room.

"Night Ethan."

"Wait, you sure you don't wanna stay up a bit more with me?"

"Unfortunately some people have jobs." she reminded him with a smile.

Ethan watched her as she left the room and closed the door. With a sigh he turned back to his game. He seriously needed a distraction right now.


He continued to play the game well past midnight until he finally beat it. Ethan wore a tired smile as he sat through the ending credits hoping there was something at the end...there wasn't.

"What a rip off." he muttered.

Despite being tired, Ethan found that he couldn't go to sleep, he lay there for about half an hour with no success and he knew the reason why too. Ethan grunted, giving up on sleep and sitting upright. Stupid Katie, why'd she have to go and hit him with a big question like that?

"How am I supposed to know what I want to do with my life? It's not like I'm really good at anything."


He paused and then brought out his phone only to realize it was still a piece of scrap. Thankfully, his sister had left her phone on the couch when they were playing. Ethan dialed his friend's number and waited. The phone rung 7 times before Trevor picked up.


"Hey Trev-meister."

"Wha...what is it?" his friend said tiredly.

"I need to ask you something."

"If you're calling me at three in the morning, you had BETTER be dying!"

"Yeah, I'm dying of...boredom?"

"...I'm hanging up now."

"Wait wait wait! Look, um Trevor. Do you know what you want to do with your life?"

"If I answer you, can I go back to bed?"

"Yes."


Trevor let out a sigh.

"I want be a doctor."

"But how do you know that's what you want to do forever?"

"I don't know, I just want to do it now."

"What if you change your mind down the road and now you're stuck as a doctor?!"

The was a brief pause on the phone.

"Is this about what I plan on doing with my life or is this about what YOU plan on doing?"

"Me..."

"Look, I don't have all the answers, and certainly not at three A.M. Whatever it is you wanna do, I'm sure you'll figure it out later. Now goodnight."

"Night..."


Ethan hung up and laid there quietly. He wasn't any closer to finding the answer to that question, but he did finally feel tired. His mind started to think about the voice he heard earlier from the phone as he dozed off.


Ethan suddenly felt light, weightless, opening his eyes he found himself floating in a completely white space with nothing else in sight. Even for a dream, this was a little weird.

"What the..."

"You are the one who has accepted the task, are you quite certain?"

"Task?"

He looked around but all he could see was white in every direction that seemed to stretch out into infinite.


"Yes, a land by the name of Equestria needs your help, will you answer the call? Please know that if I take you there, I am unsure if you will be able to return here."

"Equestria?" Ethan snorted.

That sounded like some 90's fantasy game with knights and dragons, even for a dream, this was a little weird. Maybe playing the PS3 for 12 hours straight was a little too much. Wait, he was dreaming, AND he realized it! That meant he could do whatever he wanted in this dream. He had only controlled his dream once before, and aside from Batman chasing him, it was awesome!


"I accept your quest!" Ethan said proudly. "I will stop at nothing to save Equestria!"

"Wonderful!" said the voice relieved. "I knew I had chosen the right person. Let us begin immediately."


The blinding whiteness completely disappeared and everything went black for a second. When he could finally see, Ethan found himself falling through the sky with the ground coming at him quickly.

"Oh come on!"

Not knowing what else to do, he shut his eyes.


BOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFF


He hit the ground causing a big dust cloud.


"MmmMMMph!"

Ethan struggled as his head was stuck in the ground. Pushing with all his might, his head popped out of the dirt with him gasping for air.

"WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT?!"

Ethan took a moment to catch his breath, shaking his head to clear the dirt off of his head. Looking around, he saw a field of endless grass and a multitude of trees.


"Hello." said the voice he heard before. "Sorry for the less than graceful landing."

Ethan looked around but didn't see anyone.

"Who said that?"

"Up here."

He looked up and saw a ball of light about the size of a baseball. The ball hovered closer to him, Ethan stumbled back trying to get some distance between them.


"I thank you very much for accepting such a responsibility." said the ball hovering closer to him again. Ethan tried to swat the thing, but his hand phased right through it. Or at least, that should have been his hand...


His fingers had disappeared, his entire arm had become a hoof. Ethan screamed and tried to run, but promptly fell on his face.

"The heck? Is there something on my shoe?"

Looking down, his feet had become hooves as well. Ethan looked at them strangely until he realized that they were his.


"My foot! My feet! My HANDS! What happened to them?!"

"Calm down." said the ball "This is just-"

Ethan tried to run but tripped again. Frustrated, he crawled to a nearby lake and looked at his reflection. A tan skinned pony with green eyes and black mane stared back at him. He turned his head and the reflection did the same, he closed an eye and it did the same.


"AAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUGH!"

"I know this is shocking, please, let me explain."

"Explain?! How can you possibly explain THIS?!"

"Do you remember the dream you had? The one where I asked you for help, and explained that this came with big responsibility? You accepted remember?"

"What does that have to do with me being a horse?!"

"You agreed to help my world, so I made you a resident OF this world."


"Well...yeah, but I only accepted BECAUSE it was a dream!" Ethan shouted exasperated. "I didn't think I'd get roped into something like this! I change my mind! J-just take me back!"


"I can't take you back remember? It could be years before I get my full strength back!"

Ethan's heart dropped in his chest. Was he really going to be stranded here in some unknown world as a horse of all things?!


Fluttershy was in the woods playing with her animal friends.

"Why Mr. Bird, that is a really fine nest you've made there."

Mr. Bird puffed out his chest with pride. A squirrel approached her and held out an acorn.


"Thank you Chip, that is very sweet of you but that's okay."


Chip held out the acorn even further.


"Well, okay." Fluttershy took the acorn.

Chip pointed to his cheeks.


"You want me to...enjoy it. Of course, I wouldn't want to be rude."

Fluttershy bit into the acorn and tried not to make a face.

*Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

"It's...delicious." she said wincing a little.

The squirrel beamed.


"AAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUGH!"


Upon hearing that, the birds flew away and the animals hid behind a trembling Fluttershy.

"Wha-what was that?"

The animals behind her started wimpering.

"Don't w-worry I'm sure it was nothing. I'll go see what it was."


Fluttershy moved forward, her heart beating rapidly.


'I don't want to do this, maybe it's already gone. No, I have to do this..." she thought to herself. Reaching a clearing, she shakily looked behind a tree to see a pony frantically arguing with himself. Fluttershy nervously approached the stranger.


"Um, excuse me I-"

"I can't be a horse! What's happened to me?!"


Fluttershy gathered her courage and tapped his shoulder.


"Excuse me?"

He whirled around in surprise, making the yellow pegasus jump.


"Did you just...talk?"

"Um yes, I can talk."

"How?" he said turning his head.

"W-well, you can talk too right?"

"Well of course it makes sense that I'D be able to talk, but YOU shouldn't be able to."


Fluttershy suddenly looked guilty.

"I'm sorry, I promise not to do it again."

"Wait, that's not what I...ugh, never mind. Who are you?"


Fluttershy turned her head and looked away. Ethan sighed.

"You can talk."

"I'm Fluttershy..." she said quietly.

"What?"

Fluttershy turned her head and whispered again. "I'm Fluttershy."

"Fluttershy huh? Nice name."


Fluttershy perked up a little and managed a smile.


"Really?"

'Well, actually it's a weird name.' Ethan thought to himself. 'But something tells me she wouldn't take it well if I told her.'

"Yes, I like it."

"Thank you. So, do you know where that roaring came from?"

"Roaring? No, I haven't heard any...actually I think that was me screaming."

Fluttershy moved forward showing concern.

"Aw, why were you screaming? Are you lost?"


Ethan looked around.

"Yeah I'm lost, I'm lost and I'm freaking out. How did I get here? Where IS here exactly!?"

Fluttershy backed away for a second but stayed brave.


"I-It's okay, I understand. You poor thing." she said patting his back to try and make him feel better. "Deep breaths."

Ethan took a second, taking deep breaths.

"Better?" asked Fluttershy


"I guess..." He turned the the ball. "Hey light bulb, are other talking horses like Fluttershy?"

"Yes...but I would prefer it if you didn't call me light bulb."

"Who are you talking to?" asked Fluttershy curiously

"Who am I talking to? I'm talking to this thing here." he said gesturing with his head.


Fluttershy looked where he gestured and back at him blankly.

"There's no one there."

"What?" Ethan looked at the ball for an explanation.

"No one else can see me or hear me but you."

"That's real helpful." he said sarcastically.


Fluttershy turned to the critters who were peeking from behind the trees.

"See? It's okay." Fluttershy said soothingly to the animals. "It was just somepony in need. Everyone meet..."

She paused

"U-um, would you mind...your name?"

"It's Ethan, nice to meet you Fluttershy and...animals."

"It's very nice to meet you Mr. Ethan."

"Please..." he said a little embarrassed. "No mister if you don't mind, I'm not old or anything."


Ethan's eyes widened and he started laughing.

"Oh, is there something funny?" Fluttershy asked innocently.

"I get it now...I must still be dreaming, I have to be!" he said chuckling to himself "I mean come on! A guy being called into another world, and talking horses? None of this is real." He poked Fluttershy. "YOU aren't real."

"Um, well...I'm pretty sure this isn't a dream."

"Oh really? I'll prove it."


Ethan pointed at the bear.

"You, come here."

The bear pointed at himself in surprise and Ethan nodded. Still hesitating, the bear walked over to him. Ethan motioned for the bear to lower it's head so it did. Ethan opened the bear's mouth and stuck his head in between his jaws, Fluttershy shrieked.

"W-What are you doing?!"

"See? If this weren't a dream could I order a bear to do this?"

The bear struggled to keep him mouth open. As he breathed in, Ethan's mane tickled his throat. The bear gagged, not able to keep his mouth open much longer. Fluttershy noticing this, darted over and tackled him just before the bear's jaws snapped shut.


"Ow! What was that for?"

"Listen mister!" said Fluttershy "You need to be more careful. You can't just stick your head in someone's mouth! It's dangerous, not to mention rude. You need to stop acting silly and realize this is not a dream."


Fluttershy's eyes widened after her outburst. "Oh, um, I'm sorry, you asked me not to call you mister."

Ethan just lay there on the ground numb after that. Fluttershy's tackle hurt, which meant that this wasn't a dream. He was really stuck here as a horse for who knows how long.

"Just leave me here." he grumbled

"I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hurt you." Fluttershy stuttered


"No." he sighed. "I'M sorry. I just...seriously don't even know what to do anymore."

"Don't worry." said Fluttershy patting his back. "I'll show you how to get back to town."

"Town." Ethan said without emotion. "Yes, maybe I can find help there."

She turned around and Ethan noticed the wings on her back with mild surprise.


"You have wings?"

"Of course." she said giving a small smile. "I'm a pegasus."

Ethan shook his head.

"This day just gets weirder and weirder. "


Meanwhile, Twilight was in full panic mode.


"Spike, how are the preparations for the Summer Sun Celebration?"

"Twilight, you already asked that like 5 minutes ago."

"Well check again, everything has to be perfect!"


The purple dragon sighed and looked over the list again.


"We're still only halfway done."

The list suddenly glowed purple and was snatched away from him.

"This can't be! We're not gonna make it at this rate. Why isn't the orchestra crossed off the list yet?"

"You were gonna have Fluttershy organize the birds to sing, but I haven't seen her."

"Yes, but I also put someone in charge of making sure she did it. Now who is it? Who's slowing down one of the biggest events of the year!?"

"Uh Twilight?"


Spike pointed to the list and Twilight's name was listed to that job.


"Oh..."

"Yeah."


Twilight ran through through town with Spike on her back trying to keep his balance.

"Come on, come on Fluttershy. Where are you?"

Eyes darting left and right she spotted Fluttershy coming into town with a stranger.

"Fluttershy!" she raced over


"Fluttershy, I need you to pull the orchestra together, and fast."

"Oh Twilight, there is no need to rush. You told me you'd let me know ahead of time when I was supposed to start."

"Right, well...I'm letting you know." Twilight said giving an embarrassed smile. "Think you can have them ready by tomorrow?"

"Oh, well, there was this one little number we prepared for fun. I guess I could have it ready by then."

Fluttershy turned around and flew back into the woods. Twilight turned around and saw Ethan looking at the town curiously.


"You. What group are you in?"

"Group?"

"You don't have a group?"


Just then Applejack came by with a few paint splotches.


"Twilight, we got the paintin' job done, but we still gotta finish tidyin', decoratin' and we're shorthanded at the moment."

"Urgh!"


Twilight voiced her frustration and turned to Ethan.

"Congratulations, you've got a group." she said running off.

"Wait, what? Fluttershy said I should ask you about..." he started, but Twilight was already gone.


Ethan looked around. "What just happened?"

"You heard her." said Applejack. "Come on, shake a hoof."

"But I don't even know-"

"Get a move on." she said pushing him with her head.

"Alright alright, I'm going."


The two started off.


Ethan walked quietly with Applejack. He'd have to find and talk to that other horse later.

"Well?" said the orange earth pony. "What are you good at?"

"Astronomy?"

She sighed. "That's not what I meant. I guess I'm stuck with ya."

"What's with all the hustle and bustle around here?

"Today's the Summer Sun Celebration, so we gotta make sure it goes well. You live under a rock or something?"

"Let's just say...I'm new in town."


They both reached the plaza where a lot of ponies were waiting.


"Alright, everypony." started Applejack. "Y'all did a mighty fine job with the paintin' but now we got the cleanin' and decoratin' to do."

There were some groans from the crowd.

"I know, this isn't any fun for anypony but it needs to get done. If we work together we can make this the best celebration ever. Now who's with me?"

"""YEAH!""" the crowd cheered.


They all set to work. Ethan however was having a tough time. He didn't know a single person and could barely even walk straight. Maybe he'd be able to sneak away while everyone was busy with their tasks. Ethan started to tiptoe away quietly.

"What are you doing?"

Ethan nearly jumped when he heard the ball talk to him.

"I'm leaving." he hissed quietly. "What's it look like?"

"What about everyone else?"

"Yeeeeeeaaaah...that's their problem not mine. Never was a fan of work."


He tripped on a bucket tipping over the soapy water, two ponies moving a statue slipped on the soap Ethan knocked over, making a big mess.


"Sorry, I'll clean up the pieces."

He tried to grab the broom but it slipped and whacked a random pony on the back of the head.

"Hey, watch it!"

"Sorry."


Applejack saw the commotion and came over.


"Now what's goin' on? You born with four left hooves or somethin'?"

"Oh, uh nothing." Ethan said nervously. "Just uh...hard at work." He gave her his most convincing smile.

"I got my eye on you." said Applejack. "Now see here about fixin' this here mess."

Ethan groaned, so much for sneaking away.


"No this simply won't due."


Rarity pulled the bow off the mannequin and held up another to it.

"Too plain. Too flashy. Too dark. Ohhh, how am I to pick out the perfect ensemble?"

Rarity rushed around sorting through different clothes and accessories when Pinkie Pie came through the shop.


"Hiya Rarity. Whatcha doing?"

Rarity was quickly going through her drawers at the moment and didn't hear her.

"Ooh! Ooh! Did you lose something? Can I help?"

Pinkie rushed over with a magnifying glass looking all over the room.


"Pinkie? When did you get here?"

"Just now."

"Yes, maybe this is what I need. A mannequin can't show the full splendor of clothing. Pinkie, would you be a dear and allow me to try some outfits on you?"

"Okay!"


Pinkie Pie rushed to the center of the room and struck a pose. Rarity tried on outfit after outfit on Pinkie before finally deciding on a white and purple shirt and blouse.


"Well, go ahead. Give me your opinion." she said nervously.

"I think-"

"It's terrible isn't it? I knew it was!"


Rarity pulled off the outfit and went back to digging.

"Aw come on, it was great, they all were."

Rarity stopped digging.

"You really think so?"

"Yeah! It was fun trying on all those different clothes."

"Oh, thank you! I was so nervous about the event I might've acted a tad out of place. Anyway I still need a few things to be ready, what about you Pinkie?"

"I finished early so I came to check on you. Let's see..."


Pinkie started counting with her hooves.


"Fluttershy is organizing the orchestra, Applejack's group is on clean up and decorating, Rainbow's group is making sure the weather stays perfect for the next two days and Twilight is overseeing the groups and organizing them."


Pinkie held up four hooves.


"See? Named em all."

Rarity yawned.

"Sorry dear, tired. It's getting late, I'll have to finish this tomorrow."


"K, see ya Rarity."


"Alright everyone." Applejack said to her group.


"We're not quite finished but we got a lot done. There were few accidents here and there, but I won't mention any names." she said glancing at Ethan. "Anyway, it's late so I figure we should go home and get some shut eye so we can finish this early tomorrow."


Everyone left except Ethan who just stood as they all disappeared. Ethan yawned and stretched, he wasn't used to working for so long. He was tired, but not exhausted.

"Well, at least as an earth pony you're used to manual labor." said the ball

"What's that supposed to mean? Never mind, where am I staying for the night?"

"Oh...I...didn't think of that."


"Great, now I'm homeless too!"

The ball seemed to wither a little at his words.

"You're right, I indeed did not consider where you might live upon taking you here. You can call me light bulb if you wish."

"Nah, light bulb is lame. How about...Navi?"

"Navi?"

"Yeah this fairy thing in the Zelda game who follows you around."

"Then Navi it is."


Ethan laid down on a park bench and tried to get comfortable.

"Guess this is where I'm sleeping for tonight." He turned towards Navi. "You mentioned I'm supposed to help Equestria right? What exactly is it I'm supposed to do?"

"Does this mean you're going to stay?"

"No, I WILL find a way back home. But...on the off chance I can't, doing this quest thing might be faster, what is it anyway?"

"Truth be told, I don't know much more than you do about your purpose in this world, or even if you're the right person. I foresaw the destruction of everything and searched for help."

"Wait, since I'm here too, that makes me part of 'everything' doesn't it?"


Ethan grumbled and turned back around.

"Wonderful." he said sarcastically


Navi sighed, was Ethan really the right person for the job? If not then things were looking grim.

'I'll help too.' Navi decided. 'Even with the little ability I have.'

Navi looked around at the undecorated plaza and started glowing a faint light.


The next morning Applejack got up bright and early and headed over to the plaza.


"What the?"

The Plaza was sparkling clean and decorated. There were bows neatly hung up, with the columns painted. Applejack looked around in surprise and saw Ethan sleeping.


"No way. You did all this? Hey, wake up."

"Ugh..." he stirred then started to get up.

"Thank God. I had this dream I was trapped in this world with talking ho..."


Ethan looked at Applejack as if seeing her for the first time. He stuck his head in a bucket of water and screamed with Applejack looking at him like he was nuts.


"Did you do all this?" Applejack said gesturing around her.

Ethan looked around him, when did everything become so clean? Were people here working while he slept?

"Like it?" asked Navi interrupting his thoughts. "I did it myself."

Ethan turned back to Applejack.

"Why yes, I did do all this work myself."

"What?!" Yelled Navi.


"No kiddin'..." Applejack said, unable to hear Navi. "I reckon I was wrong about you. To think you'd stay up all night to get this done! You got some real drive, what's your name?

"My name's Ethan."

"You're alright Ethan." she patted his shoulder. "If I ever need any help with something I'll be sure to call you for it."

"Yeah...great...love to help others." Ethan said, disappointed.


"You be sure and go home to get some rest after the celebration."

"I don't have a home."

"Don't have a home? Don't be ridiculous."


Ethan stretched and started walking off.


"I need to get out of here. I need to find someone who can help."

"Hey wait a minute. Where's your cutie mark?"

"My what?"


"Your cutie mark. Ya know, the little mark on your hip."

Ethan looked at Applejack's hip. Sure enough there was a picture of some apples there. Ethan glanced at his hip with nothing there."

"Don't have one."

"What?!"

"Is that bad?"

"Well, not exactly bad, but...everyone has theirs at your age by now." Applejack blushed. "N-not that I'm makin' of of ya, I'm sure yer workin' super hard to get it. I, uh...apologize about that, sometimes I can be a little TOO honest."


Pinkie Pie walked by.

"Hi Applejack."

She turned to Ethan.

"What's your name?"


Pinkie froze with her mouth hanging open as if she realized something. She jumped 10 feet in the air and rushed off.


"...Is that normal?" Ethan asked unsure of what to say.

"Well, for Pinkie, more or less."


*Knock knock*

Twilight sleepily raised her head. She stayed up late again, had slept at her desk and had bags under her eyes. The knocking continued and got louder.


"Alright...I'm coming." she said slowly getting up and going to the door and opening it.

"Rainbow?"

"Geez, what happened to you?" her friend asked after seeing her condition.

"Nice to see you too. Rough night. Please tell me you have good news."

"Yep. The sky's clear for miles around. No bad weather is gonna ruin today."

"My group's done too." said Applejack showing up.

"That's great! I think that's everything, and just in time too!"


"Hey watch it!"

"That's my hoof!"

"Ouch!"

"Sorry."


Ethan pushed through the large crowd of people that had gathered for the event. He glanced back at Navi and raised a brow.

"What happened to you?"


Navi had shrunken and was smaller than before. Earlier last night Navi was the size of a baseball but now was barely bigger than a golf ball.

"Hey, why did you tell Applejack that you did all that work?"

"Would you prefer that I told her an invisible talking ball of light did it instead?"

"..."


"That's what I thought. You're...smaller. Are you alright?"

"I'll be okay, I used up quite a bit of power last night so it'll take a while to recover. What are we doing here?" Navi asked

"There's gotta be at least ONE person here who knows something. Though...I can't exactly blame them for not knowing how to travel across worlds."

He finally got to the front of the crowd after a few minutes of pushing. Ponies were excited and giving a countdown.


"""…2…1!"""


Celestia rose into the air, and the sun rose letting off a flash of light leaving people in awe. She was showered with cheers and shouts.


"Thank you, thank you." She modestly looked around and smiled when something caught her eye. She turned and saw Ethan at the front of the crowd and her eyes widened in surprise.


"Eden...?"