• Published 5th Jan 2017
  • 1,166 Views, 115 Comments

The Bonds of Family - KidatHeart5



7th installment of "Royal Canterlot Family". Based on "Snow White". Skyla grows jealous of Flurry Heart, unaware that she is putting herself in danger. Will Flurry Heart save her in time?

  • ...
2
 115
 1,166

To Ponyville

Flurry said, “I don’t understand why we need to have guards escort us to the train station.”

Skyla wearily answered with bags under her eyes, “Mom and Dad must be worried about something again. Could be a new threat.”

“How do you know?”

“Because…” She rubbed her eyes before continuing, “…I have Mom’s foresight, and I saw a dark silhouette cackling madly.”

“What was it?”

“Shh! We’re coming up to the train station now.”

When the guards brought the young ones to the train conductor, he bowed and said, “Your Highnesses.” When he looked up, he was surprised to see another pony with the sisters and Blaze. He then added, “And guest.”

Blaze grumbled, “Believe me, it was unexpected.”

Nova Rose retorted, “Hey, I didn’t ask to come with you guys! My parents insisted on it!”

The conductor uneasily said, “Well, unfortunately, there are no extra seats for the young lady, I’m afraid.”

The look of dismay on Nova’s face saddened Blaze. As much as he didn’t like her all that much, there was a part of him that actually cared about her. After some thought, Blaze begrudgingly suggested, “She’ll take my seat.”

The sisters and Nova looked at him in surprise. Flurry breathed, “Blaze…”

Nova rebutted, “But you’re a prince! You shouldn’t give up your seat for somepony like me.”

Blaze muttered to her, “I would sooner leave you here, but that wouldn’t be very princely of me. Besides, I might have my own royal car.”

Just then, the conductor shouted, “Bring in a royal car for the young prince!”

Blaze smirked at Nova, “See? Told ya.”


While the crystal train chugged along the railroad, Flurry Heart gazed at the landscape outside the window next to her seat. It filled her soul with so much wonder that all of her troubles seemed to melt away, but the moment was short-lived when she heard her sister yawning.

She faced a drowsy Skyla and asked, “Are you okay, sis?”

Skyla tiredly nodded, “Yeah, yeah. I’m fine.”

“I don’t know. You didn’t get much sleep last night.” She pulled a pillow out of her knapsack and gave it to Skyla, saying, “Here. Take it. You need it more than I do.”

Skyla was hesitant about going to sleep again, but she wanted to look presentable to her relatives and any of the Ponyvillians she might meet. “Thanks, Flurry.”

After Skyla put her head down on the pillow, Nova Rose – who was sitting next to them on the same bench – remarked, “That was a very generous thing for you to do, Flurry.”

Flurry shrugged, “Hey, I was inspired by Blaze. He gave you his spot when you didn’t have one. It’s a sure sign he likes you.” She smirked at her friend.

Nova scoffed, “He does not. He calls me dumb and teases me whenever he gets the chance.”

“Maybe you should go talk to him, then. I know for a fact that my cousin is as princely as they come…” She then muttered, “…more or less.”

Nova then sighed and said, “Okay. You win. I’ll go talk to Blaze.” After she got off her spot, she faced Flurry again and added, “But I’ll tell him it was your idea.”

Nova went into the royal car, where she saw a happy Blaze being served by Crystal ponies that came with the pristine coach. She had to roll her eyes as she approached him.

He saw her and frowned, “Shouldn’t you be in the seat you took from me?”

Nova retorted, “You know what, Blaze? You act like a jerk, but that’s all it is: an act.”

“What do you mean?” he furrowed his brow.

“You didn’t have to give up your spot next to your cousins, yet you did.”

“Well, duh, I am a prince. I was obliged to do that.”

“You keep telling yourself that, but I know better. You don’t act the way you do towards me like you do with your cousins and other ponies.”

“That’s because I like them. You? Not so much.”

She knew she shouldn’t have let that hurt her, but it was hard not to feel the sting of his words.

Blaze started regretting what he said when he saw the strength in her expression wilting. He didn’t mean for it to go that far, but it slipped out.

Nova kept her head high, “I see. Well, I’ll just leave you be, Your Highness. Sorry to have disturbed you.” She quickly left the car.

Blaze grabbed a pillow and hit himself with it while saying, “Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! Why did you say that? Sure, I don’t like her as much as I do my cousins, but I like her more than she could ever know…”


The screech of the crystal train stopping at the station cut through everypony’s ears. When the train came to a full stop, Discord turned to the five-pony band and said, “Okay, on my mark…” After trumpets decorated with flags of the Crystal Empire crest blew a fanfare, Discord said, “Now!”

As the young royals and Nova were stepping off the train, the band played a lively tune. They were surprised to see a welcoming committee greeting them with such warmth.

Skyla – feeling refreshed from her nap - remarked, “Wow. I can’t believe you put all of this together, especially since it’s Nova’s first time in Ponyville.”

Discord asked in confusion, “It is?” When Flurry kicked his leg, he uttered an “Oh!” He then forcibly smiled as he said, “I mean, it is, so that’s why I rallied this welcoming committee. Just to welcome little Miss Nova…Tulip here to Ponyville.” He smiled sheepishly to try to make it convincing.

Flurry whispered to Nova, “He’ll get your name right once he gets to know you.”

Nova smiled in reassurance.


As Discord and the kids walked to the Everfree Castle, Blaze asked, “So, Uncle Discord, what are you doing here in the Everfree Kingdom?”

He conjured up a letter and said, “This.” He opened the letter and put his reading glasses on. He cleared his throat and read aloud, “’To the Honorable and Trustworthy Discord…’”

The kids rolled their eyes at that because they knew he was ad-libbing some of the words.

“’We are in really big trouble because we don’t know how to handle this situation. Flurry Heart has now become a magic bomb the size of the moon.’”

Flurry expressed annoyance while Blaze snickered at that. Skyla jabbed him to make him stop.

“’Since we are too helpless and clueless to help her, you are our only hope. Who else but you to take on this difficult and life-threatening task? Who else but the kindly, strong, powerful, handsome, lovable, extraordinary, and –‘” He yelped as he tripped over a tree root.

Blaze teased, “Not so extraordinary now, are you?”

The kids chuckled while Discord scowled.

Nova magically took the letter that fell out of his paws after his fall and faced Flurry, “Here’s what it really says: ‘Dear Discord, the Fledgling’s Forbearance spell on Flurry Heart has worn off and her magic has once again become uncontrollable. Shining Armor and I agreed it was time for you and my mother to help her as you two are well-trained with using strong magic. Flurry will be coming with her sister and cousin to Ponyville while preparations for the Crystal Gala will be underway. If you have the time, please go there and help Flurry.’ Then it’s signed by Princess Cadence.”

Discord said, “And you were in luck. I was already on my way to the Everfree Castle to check up on Screwball.”

“Do you miss her terribly since she moved to the castle with her husband along with the rest of the cousins and their spouses?” Skyla asked.

Flurry sighed, “She’s so lucky, and so is every one of our cousins that have children or are about to have a child. I wish I was married and having a baby.”

Unbeknownst to all of them, Blaze slightly glanced at Nova before she looked at him and he turned his head away.

Discord replied, “Of course I miss my little Screwy. After all, no matter how big she gets, she’ll always be my little girl, and that son-in-law of mine better be treating her right! Or else…” His eyes glowed in a menacing way.

But the cousins rolled their eyes; their uncle could really overreact over something so trivial.

Discord then put on a smile, “So what are we standing around for?! We have to get to the castle!” He snapped his fingers and they were all teleported in front of the Everfree Castle entrance, where the guards permitted them in. But once they were in the hallway, a blast of green fire came at them. Fortunately, they ducked in time, leaving the wall above them scorched.

They heard a baby giggle and looked up to see a year-and-a-half-old Turquoise flapping her dragon wings. Apple Jewel rushed over calling her daughter’s name and saw the group.

“Sorry, guys! But Turquoise has started flying and is learning to breathe fire, too! Thank goodness Star and Screwy fireproofed the place!”

Turquoise giggled again and flew off.

“Asher! She’s coming your way!”

Asher’s voice called out, “On it, honey!”

Jewel sighed in relief before facing her cousins, uncle, and Nova Rose. “We were expecting your arrival. Star’s waiting in the throne room.”

“Where’s Screwy?” Discord asked.

“Don’t worry. She and Mothball will be along. They said they had to take care of something first.”

Discord felt suspicious, but let it go for now.

They made their way to the throne room where Star was sitting on a throne with her husband, Pen Pusher, standing right beside her. Star was five months pregnant, so he wanted to make sure his wife was as comfortable as possible while still attending to her duties of running the Everfree Kingdom, just as her mother did before her. Dignity was sitting on a throne next to her. He was now the father of a one-month-old filly that he and Mauve named Opulence. Whirl Wind was right next to him on his own throne, and he was also a new father to a two-month-old filly named Gale Force.

There were thrones for Jewel and Screwy as well. The other cousins - Fire Spark, Cotton Candy, and Gemstone - were married and lived in different places. Fire and his wife, Dawn Twirl, owned their own laboratory in Canterlot and were childless at the moment due to their busy lifestyle. The same could be said for Cotton and her husband, Prince Cannon Fire. Their royal duties in Maretonia made them busy and tired, so they couldn’t have children at the moment. However, Gem and her husband, Seam, lived in Manehattan and were expectant at three months.

Upon seeing Skyla and Flurry, Star got up from her throne in excitement and started chanting the sunshine, sunshine rhyme their mothers taught them. This time, though, Star had to clap hooves with both sisters.

Blaze went up to Whirl and they hoof-bumped.

“Great to see you, cuz.”

“Likewise, Blazy.” Whirl winked.

“Ugh, you know I hate that nickname.” Then they both ended up chuckling.

“How’s fatherhood going for you?”

Whirl gave a weary expression, “Not at all like I expected, but it has it upsides. Gale is already showing promise of being an excellent flyer when she grows up.”

Skyla came in on the conversation, “Where is the cutie?”

“With Sky. She loves showing our little foal the Wonderbolt Headquarters. Plus, it gives her a chance to be a better mother than how she was raised. They’ll both be here in time for the party tonight.”

Flurry inquired, “Party? What party?”

Dignity, Star, and Jewel glared at Whirl, who sheepishly grinned while saying, “Oops.”

Star sighed, “It was supposed to be a surprise. We planned a party in Ponyville when we learned you were coming.”

Flurry smiled, “Oh, you didn’t have to do that.”

Skyla countered, “Actually, yes, she should. Star knows how important it is to greet royal guests - whether they be blood-related or not - with a festivity of some sort.”

Starling nodded, “Exactly. As the next queen of Canterlot, it is my responsibility to make sure our allies are well-treated with the upmost importance.”

Blaze commented, “I swear, you royal heirs take everything so seriously.”

Whirl beamed, “They do, don’t they?”

Flurry pointed, “Well, since you’re throwing a party, how about instead of it being about our arrival, it should be about Nova Rose’s first time in Ponyville?”

Nova blushed and stammered, “Oh, that’s not really necessary, Your Highnesses.”

Flurry motioned, “I insist. What do you think, Star?”

Star merely smiled, “If that’s what you want, Flurry.”

Skyla felt a bit unsure about this, but Flurry was right about it being Nova’s first time in Ponyville. Given how Nova was upset for the rest of the train ride after Flurry told her that Blaze said some hurtful things to her, Skyla agreed that a party was what she needed.

Nova kept protesting, “Really, Your Majesties, you don’t have to do this.”

Flurry put her hoof over her shoulder, “Don’t be silly. We want to do this for you.”

Nova looked over to Blaze, who briefly looked at her before avoiding eye contact with her. She asked, “Would you have any objections with this, Prince Blaze?”

“Me? Not in the slightest. If my cousins want to throw you a party, who am I to stop them?” He turned to his relatives, “Now, if you excuse me, I better go up to my guest room and rest for tonight.” He quickly walked past Nova and left the room.

Star, Jewel, Dignity, and Whirl exchanged confused glances and looked over to Flurry and Skyla. The sisters gave knowing glances and smirks, which caused the other cousins to smirk in return, realizing young love was in the works.

Star told Nova, “You’re going to have a great time tonight, Nova.”

“I hope you’re right, Your Majesty,” Rose gave an uneasy smile.


The party was in full swing as ponies gathered in the main square next to the Town Hall. Stringed lights hung everywhere and couples were dancing to the music, such as the Cakes, Cranky and Matilda, Thunderlane and Flitter, and Derpy and Dr. Hooves.

The royal couples stood on the sidelines as they watched their ponies have fun. Sky was next to Whirl and holding Gale in her arms. Mauve did the same with Opulence and Apple Jewel with Turquoise. Skyla stood next to Star as Flurry was mingling with some ponies about her age.

“So you’re Thunder and Flitter’s son, and you’re Derpy and Dr. Hooves’ daughter?” Flurry inquired.

Sound Wave - who took after his dad, but had his mom’s eyes and mane color - replied, “That’s right. I’m also Roller and Skater’s cousin, in case you didn’t know.”

Flurry giggled, “No, I knew that. They gave me a picture of you, but you looked much younger then.”

He smirked, “What can I say? I had a growth spurt.”

“He’s just fooling around,” Dreamy Gaze nudged him.

Dreamy had wall-eyes like her mother and had her blond mane, but her coat was her father’s. Despite the name, she was actually very bright and observant, even if she did get distracted every once in a while.

The ponies giggled.

Blaze was on the other side of the square watching Nova Rose socializing with young colts that were their age. His stomach felt weird when he saw them like that. Flurry suddenly came up to him, saying.

“You know, if you’re so worried, you should ask her to a dance, especially to make up for that terrible thing you said to her on the train.”

He faced her and could see she was giving a sullen look at him. He sighed, “I deserve that. I didn’t mean to say that to her. It just… came out wrong…”

“Then tell her that.”

“It’s not that easy, Flurry! I can’t just go up to her and tell her, ‘Sorry for those rotten things I said. Would you please dance with me?’!”

Flurry rolled her eyes.

“Don’t give me that. It’s not like you’re an expert on relationships. And yes, I know your parents are the ultimate love couple, but you’ve never been in a relationship yourself, so how can you tell me what to do when you’ve never been in love either?”

She sighed, “Fair enough. You’re right. I don’t know what it’s like to be in love, but I do know that you need to say something before it’s too late. At least think about that.”

The party calmed down as Screwball and Mothball came onto the scene while the changeling said, “All right. All right. May we have your attention please?”

Screwball said, “Nova, do we have your permission to make an announcement?”

Nova nodded, “Sure! I would like to hear what it is.”

The Earth pony smiled, “Great! So, just recently, we commissioned a cake made by the talented Cake twins. They did a wonderful job on it.”

The ponies applauded, making the Cake twins blush.

Mothball said, “The reason why we had this cake made is very special. We wanted to share it with you all.”

Screwball pointed to Discord, “Especially Dad. I promised to tell him first.”

Discord grinned while holding his cup, “Ooh, I like the sound of this.” He then took a sip of his drink.

Mothball whispered to the Cake twins, “Okay, now.”

The siblings unboxed the cake as Screwball and Mothball announced gleefully, “We’re having a baby!”

Everypony cheered wildly while Discord was caught off-guard and spit out his drink in shock. The ruckus stopped as the guests stared at him.

Discord smiled nervously, “Oh, that’s…unexpected, darling. My little girl, about to have her very own baby. Yep. Heh-heh. I’m about to become a grandfather. Whoo…”

At first, it seemed like Screwball wasn’t happy with her father’s reaction, but surprisingly, she hugged him and whispered, “Thank you, Dad. Even if it was close enough.”

He forcibly smiled on the outside, but inside, a mix of emotions roiled like a hurricane. He thought to himself, My little Screwball, pregnant?

Author's Note:

CartoonNerd12 wrote the section about Blaze and Nova’s talk in the royal car and the long section that begins with “Nova magically took…” to “’think about that.’”. She was a huge help in writing this chapter. She was also the one who suggested a party much like what the Dwarves threw for Snow White in the film. I, however, suggested that Flurry makes the party about Nova. That particular situation said a lot about Skyla and Flurry’s characters.
For how Thunderlane and Flitter came to live in Ponyville, I recommend reading the spin-off The Quest for Family. It’s posted on CN12’s homepage, so look there. It also delves into Derpy and Dr. Hooves’ love story.