• Published 3rd Jul 2012
  • 2,605 Views, 30 Comments

Transatlanticism - ThePwnzorMuffin



Based off of the song "Transatlanticism" by Death Cab for Cutie.

  • ...
2
 30
 2,605

The Cascade

Every night, it was the same. A mass of water in front of her. Everything that she wanted stood across the water, staring back at her. No matter how much she tried, she never found a way to cross the lake between them, or the sea, or ocean, or whatever kind of water lay between them. The size seemed to always change, but it didn’t matter. Its sole purpose was to keep them apart, it seemed.

Most of Twilight’s time was spent locked in her room. When she opened her journal, it seemed to be the same weight on both sides, and she had as much pages left as she did that were filled in. The only way the unicorn kept track of time was the day that she put at the top of every journal entry.

Day 8

How do you cross an ocean?

In my dreams, the water seems to have become larger and larger, and right now, it’s as big as I can imagine. The other ponies in my dream have no problem crossing it, but it’s much too far for me to row. Even though I need her closer, I’m always denied that.

It’s impossible to cross an ocean, what with I have anyway...

Why? Why can’t I get across? Why can’t I be with the one pony I want? Why is there such a big distance between us? It’s just not fair! I-

Something pounded against Twilight’s bedroom door. She flinched and shut her journal, only to realize that it was someone knocking. “Hello?” she called out.

A muffled but undeniable baby dragon’s voice sounded behind the door. “Twilight, let me in.”

Twilight sighed. She knew what was coming. The unicorn walked over to the door and removed the wardrobe that barred it.

Hearing the loud creaking of the wardrobe against wood, Spike opened the door. He walked in, shutting the door behind him, and blinked several times, no doubt trying to adjust to the room’s perpetual darkness. Courtesy of one Twilight Sparkle, of course.

Spike wasted no time in getting to the point. “Twilight, we need to talk.”

The lavender pony had sat down at her desk again, facing away from it and towards her friend. She thought for a moment, before deciding that this would have come eventually. “Yes, of course.”

Spike took a deep breath before continuing. “Twilight, I know that something’s on your mind. By the looks of it, it’s something pretty important. But I don’t think that this is a problem that can be solved by locking yourself in your room all day and not telling anyone what you’re doing. You haven’t been outside for more than a week!

He sighed. “Look, the point is, I’m worried about you. I’m sure your friends are worried about you too. I still don’t know what’s bothering you, but I think you need to talk to someone about it. And that means that you can’t lock yourself in your room today.” With that, he walked around Twilight and started pushing her towards the door.

“Hey!” Twilight shouted at the sudden movement. “Spike, what do you think you’re doing?”

Spike only resumed his pushing. “You need to go outside, whether you like it or not. I’m tired of you being down in the dumps for over a week.”

Twilight gave in, seeing no way out of this. “Okay, Spike, I’ll go outside. But only if you stop pushing me.” Spike, by now, had somehow managed to push Twilight down the stairs, and they approached the door.

“Promise?”

The unicorn rolled her eyes. “I promise.”

“Great!” Spike stopped pushing his friend, before adding, “You can’t come back before sundown, okay?” A nod from Twilight, and Spike grinned. He gave one final shove, sending Twilight out the door, which was promptly shut.

Once Twilight was out the door, Spike locked it, glancing around. Assured that he was alone, he hurried up to Twilight’s room. Once reaching it, he caught sight of what he had been looking for.

He walked to Twilight’s desk and picked up her dream journal. Sorry, Twilight, he thought. But you’re not telling me what’s bothering you. It’s my job to look out for you, and whatever’s on your mind must be something big. And I’m sure that it’s in here. He opened the book to a random page.

Day 5

The same thing, again and again and again. It’s like I can’t escape this dream.

I’m starting to think that this dream isn’t a good thing. It separates me from her, and I’m never able to get to her.

And yet, I need her. Still, we’re apart, and it doesn’t seem like there’s anything I can do about it.

Spots of a different color blotted the page, blurring the ink if the spots fell there. The blots bled through the pages, and Spike had to pry the pages apart when he turned to the next entry.

Day 6

Again. That’s six nights in a row, and I don’t know how to stop it.

I’m going crazy. I just know it. I’ve dreamt about Rainbow Dash every night, ever since I realized that I’m in love with her. If that weren’t enough, she’s been a part of my thoughts even when I’m awake.

My dreams are intent on keeping us apart. It’s maddening, really, since I feel like I need her closer.

So much closer...

The rest of the page was filled with doodles. Peering closely, Spike saw that they were actually detailed drawings. All of them depicted a cloud with a lightning bolt intertwined with a multi-pointed star, surrounded by many smaller stars of the same design. Two symbols that happened to be the cutie marks of very familiar ponies. Spike flipped through the rest of Twilight’s entries, seeing the exact same drawing decorating every page he turned to.

Spike shut the book, resting it on the table. He stared at it for a moment longer, before getting up and heading for the door. So that’s what’s been bothering Twilight all this time... She really does need help from someone.

More importantly, how can I help her? Now that I know what’s on her mind, I have to do something. Spike thought for a plan, something to help Twilight with her situation.

================

Twilight couldn’t blame Spike for throwing her out of the house. I have been locked in my room for over a week, after all.

She stood there, wondering where to go. Spike’s right. I need to talk to someone about this. But who?

Her mind made up, the next thing she had to do was find somepony to give her advice. Somepony who would keep a secret no matter what, who would take this seriously, who would give her solid and legitimate advice...

==============

“Pinkie?” Twilight knocked at the door of Sugarcube Corner. She looked at the clouds overhead, overcast and gloomy clouds that barred the Sun’s entry. Twilight hoped that it wasn’t getting to be dark at this time, but with the clouds above it was more difficult to tell. She tried knocking again. “Pinkie, are you in there?” she called for the second time.

Perhaps she had given it too much thought. But however long it took her, she had concluded that Pinkie had been the best pony to ask. Rainbow Dash was certainly out of the question, Rarity would lose herself in one of her grand romantic fantasies, Applejack couldn’t keep a secret even if she wanted to, and Fluttershy was no better than Rarity. Which left Twilight only one option.

Now that she thought about it, Pinkie could turn out to be a decent choice. She could keep a secret no matter what, and she always had good advice to offer. Even if, half of the time, that advice was given while bouncing off the walls.

Twilight’s ponderings were cut off as the door to Sugarcube Corner swung open. The familiar pink pony who stood behind it stared for a second, before recognizing her friend. “Oh, hi Twilight!” she exclaimed, her usual smile stretching into a full-on Pinkie-style grin. “Sorry the door was closed, I was just baking the last order for the day because we’re about to close and I didn’t think that anyone was going to visit so I just closed the door while I was baking my chocolate cupcakes and did you know that chocolate cupcakes are like the BEST THING EVER?! I mean, the smell when I pulled them out of the oven and how amazing they look and-”

Twilight watched her friend bounce around the bakery. smiling a little herself. Leave it to Pinkie to cheer her up, simply by being herself. She focused her wandering mind as she saw Pinkie’s bouncing starting to slow, coming to a stop exactly where she had started. “So, what brings you here?” the pink pony asked, flashing a smile at Twilight.

“Actually, I wanted to talk to you about something. Can we talk somewhere, well, private?” Twilight walked inside, immediately hit by the tantalizing aroma of freshly baked pastries, the signature smell of Sugarcube Corner.

Pinkie seemed to sense Twilight’s seriousness, and a softer smile replaced her grin. “Of course we can talk. Mr. and Mrs. Cake are upstairs, so we’ll just go into the kitchen.” Twilight opened her mouth to question Pinkie’s logic, but the party pony was already bouncing into the kitchen. Twilight sighed and followed her.

She almost froze when she realized that she lacked something. How could I be so stupid? I need to know what to tell her! Oh, horseapples, how much do I say to her? Do I tell her who I have feelings for? What about my dreams? Do I just-

“Uh, Twilight? You’re supposed to sit on the chair, not stand next to it!” Twilight snapped her head up and looked around. By some miracle, she had made her way into the kitchen. She sighed, and seated herself on the chair. Pinkie smiled at her and nudged a cupcake in her direction. Wait, where did she get that- ugh. Why do I even ask?

“So, what’s up, Twilight?” Of course she would ask that. Twilight was the one that wanted to talk to her, after all. Not like that made Twilight’s response any easier to come up with.

“I, uh. Well, you see, um...” Twilight spluttered and stammered. Why is this so hard? If you can’t tell Pinkie, than what makes you think you can tell... she let that thought finish itself.

“Twilight.” Pinkie’s voice no longer had the usual bubbly cheer. It was softer, yet encouraging. “You can tell me anything.” Twilight looked up, and saw Pinkie’s soft, reassuring smile.

“Can you promise that this stays between us?”

“Of course! Cross my heart, hope to-” Pinkie stopped when Twilight waved a dismissive hoof in the air.

“You don’t need to do that. I’m sure you won’t tell anypony,” Twilight said, even adding a mild giggle. “Ahem...” she cleared her throat, despite the lack of blockage in it.

“I-I think that I’m in love with... somepony.”


Pinkie tilted her head. “Who?”

Twilight raised an eyebrow. “Do I have to tell you?”

A nod was her only response.

Another sigh escaped the purple unicorn. “Well, if it’s for the best.” She glanced around, as if to make sure that they were alone, before mentally bracing herself again. “I’m in love with... with Rainbow Dash.” she forced out. She interested herself in the floor, not wanting to see her friend’s reaction. What would it be? Shock? Horror? Disgust? All of the above?

Then she felt herself falling, her vision filled with pink as she crashed into the floor. Stunned, she felt two soft pink hooves wrap around her neck in a crushing hug. Then, a bubbly voice saying: “Oh, Twilight, that’s amazing!”

Not the reaction she was expecting.

“Wh-what? Amazing? Why?”

“Of course you’re in love with her, silly! I always knew!”

Twilight scrambled to her hooves, forcing the party pony to hop off of her. “You did?! How?!” She stared, not believing what she was hearing.

Pinkie shrugged. “Dunno.”

“But-”

Pinkie cut her off. “So what did you need me to tell you? About this, you know?”

Twilight stared for a moment longer, then put a hoof to her forehead, letting out a sigh. She would never understand her pink friend’s mysterious ways. “I started... realizing this about a week ago...”

==============

“...and I don’t know what to do! I don’t even understand half of what’s going on!”

Chocolate crumbs and empty cupcake wrappers were all that remained of the cupcakes that Pinkie had laid out. Twilight needed to remind herself to come around to Sugarcube Corner more often. Shaking her head to clear her mind of delicious confectionary treats, Twilight looked over to her (hopefully good-advice-giving) friend.

Pinkie, after listening to Twilight pour out her story, uncharacteristically sat and rubbed her chin with a hoof. She looked up, brightening when seeing Twilight, as if noticing she was there for the first time. “So... how long have you dreamed about Rainbow?”

Twilight’s thoughts went back to her dream journal. “Almost a week, now.”

“Have you seen her ever since that one night?”

The unicorn shook her head. “That’s part of what’s bothering me. I think that she’s avoiding me, since I probably creeped her out by staring at her.”

“And you say that she’s always really far away from you in your dreams?” Pinkie was leaning over the table slightly now, focused entirely on Twilight.

“That’s what I said.” Twilight wasn’t sure where her friend was going with this, but she nodded anyway.

“...And you still don’t know why you keep having these dreams about her?” Pinkie sounded almost incredulous, her eyes widened slightly. At least she had leaned back in her chair, so she wasn’t making Twilight uncomfortable by being in her face.

“No! That’s why I’m asking you!” Why did Pinkie act like she knew everything all of a sudden? If she did, well, it wouldn’t be all too surprising, but-

“Isn’t it obvious? You’re the one causing those dreams! Since you’re not doing anything about your feelings for her, she’s only getting farther away from you.” Satisfied with her explanation, Pinkie resumed her signature grin.

Oh. Well.

Twilight simply sat and stared, the weight of Pinkie’s words settling in on her. Could it be? Was she really so blind as to not look in the most obvious of places? “You... you think so?” was the only thing she managed to get out.

“Yeah! So now you know what you have to do, right?” The pink pony bounced up and down in her chair.

“Wait... you’re not saying that I should go tell her how I feel, are you?” Twilight hoped to Celestia that this wouldn’t be the case.

“Of course, silly!”

Crap.

Pinkie continued. “You like her, don’t you? And if you like her, then you’ll want to be with her, right?” She chattered on without waiting for a response. “And what do you get from not telling her, anyway? She’s your friend no matter what, even if things don’t turn out the best.” She smiled softly again.

“I... I guess...” Twilight muttered.

“Not ‘I guess,’ it’s ‘I know!’ Now go get her, silly!” Allowing no further conversation, she leapt from her chair and started pushing Twilight’s chair to the door.

“B-but... what do I say? How do I tell her?” Twilight stammered.

“I dunno! You’re the one with the crush! Now go!” Somehow, the two had made their way to the door, and with one final shove, Twilight was sent hurtling out the door, landing in a heap on the base of the steps to the bakery. She was getting pushed around a lot today, now that she thought about it.

Well, that certainly could’ve gone worse... Twilight thought to herself as she got to her hooves, setting out for home. She knew that Pinkie meant well, but how could she just go and tell Rainbow how she felt, just like that? She couldn’t. It was as simple as that.

But then how could she solve her problem? If Pinkie was right, then keeping everything bottled up inside her would only make her dreams persist. She was sure of that, as the memories from her six (or was it seven? Or eight? She didn’t have an idea any more.) previous dreams came to mind. At the moment, Twilight didn’t prefer either option over the other.

She thought all of this as she plodded home. Sleep didn’t seem so appealing anymore.

======================

Spike opened the freezer, pulling out yet another daisy sandwich before shutting the freezer door. He was just setting the table for him and Twilight when he heard the door creaking open. A quick glance out the window told him that Twilight kept her promise.

The hoofsteps got closer, until Twilight appeared in the entrance to the kitchen. She wore a small smile, which was tired but reassuring.

“Hi, Spike. I’m back,” Twilight said unnecessarily.

“Hey, Twilight.” Spike put the last sandwich on the table and walked over to Twilight, giving her a short hug. “How was your first time outside?”

That earned him an eye roll. “Very funny, Spike. But it did help. Kind of.”

“Great! I, uh, have to go out myself. I’ll be back soon, but dinner’s on the table already.” Spike turned and started walking to the door.

“Go? Where?” Twilight raised an eyebrow.

Spike stopped dead. “Oh, um, I have to... Go get some more quills! Yeah, that’s it!” And without letting Twilight interject further, he hurried out the door.

Twilight stared for a second longer, then sighed and shook her head. Her daisy sandwich was calling, anyway.

======================

Thirty steps from the library, and Spike finally allowed himself to relax. Now, he could go ahead with his plan.

================

Sleep didn’t sound so good any more.

Sleep was supposed to be a rest. A time when everything that stressed or demanded or just plain annoyed could be forgotten, and all of that could be, for lack of a better word, slept away.

Not anymore. For Twilight, sleep was confusing, frightening. Not the rest that she so needed.

Naturally, she wasn’t too enthusiastic on the idea of going to sleep tonight. Though the sun was just starting its journey below the horizon, though the first stars were just starting to show their small but bright faces, and though Twilight wore dark circles under her eyes, sleep did not seem the slightest bit appealing.

Despite this, she told herself that she needed all the sleep she could get at this point. As such, she was just climbing into bed when she heard her front door creaking open. It’s probably Spike, the unicorn thought. Then, she heard a voice that made her blood freeze.

“So, Spike, what’s up? Why’d ya bring me here?” That voice could only belong to a certain pegasus. That same one who Twilight had dreamed about for the past week.

“Just wait a second, Rainbow.” Definitely Spike’s voice. A few seconds of steps getting closer, and a knock on Twilight’s door. “Hey, Twi? Are you there?” Rainbow’s voice carried through the door.

Twilight’s mind raced at an impossibly fast rate. Does Spike know? How does he know? Will I even let them in? What will I say? She found herself trembling, and a bead of sweat rolled down her face. She tried to say something, but all that came out was a whimper.

Apparently, Spike and Rainbow had other plans. The door nudged open slowly, and two faces poked themselves in. Their eyes widened at the same time when they saw the state that their friend was in.

In a second Rainbow was by Twilight’s bedside. “Twilight? Are... are you okay? What’s wrong?”

Twilight could only stare. If Rainbow had mesmerized her in her dream state, than that was almost nothing compared to the living, breathing version. Her rippling mane, shining coat, and everything else seemed almost unreal.

But her eyes. Twilight had grown used to Rainbow’s expressionless stare, devoid of emotion. The Rainbow Dash that held her gaze now, though, was full of caring and concern. All of it for her.

Twilight tore herself away from the pegasus in front of her to see Spike’s tail disappearing behind the door. Probably so he could do something downstairs. Which would be done for the express purpose of leaving the two alone.

A voice brought Twilight away from her thoughts. “Twilight? You’re really starting to worry me. I mean, first you act funny when we’re watching the stars, then nopony sees you for almost a week, and now this!”

She sighed, and continued, but not before Twilight realized that Rainbow had gotten closer, and their muzzles were almost touching. “Look, Twilight, I’m just worried about you. Seems like something’s bothering you.”

Their gazes locked. Violet eyes met rose. Twilight lost herself in those caring eyes. The two of them were so close, the only sound was Rainbow’s wings lazily beating in the air... She leaned in...

And suddenly their lips were pressed together. Neither of them was expecting it, but Twilight knew she couldn’t let this moment slip by. She closed her eyes, taking in the feel of their lips meeting, the feel of Dash’s breath inside her mouth, the taste of her-

Rainbow broke away. Twilight’s eyes shot open to see her friend staring at her, her pupils tiny pinpricks. Her chest heaved, and her jaw hung slack. Both of them opened their mouths to say something, but Dash’s wings flared and she shot out the nearest window. A window which happened to be firmly shut, and as a result, glass shattered in her escape.

Twilight stared at the fading trail that Dash had left behind. I... I just kissed her! Why? Why did I do something so impulsive and stupid?! I never had an idea whether she liked me or not!

Finally, that familiar wetness started to claw at her eyes again. She screwed up badly this time, and she couldn’t think of a way to fix it. She probably hates me now... was her last thought before her tears started to flow freely, as she cried herself into another night of dreams.

=======================

The house was silent. Not unusual for Rainbow Dash’s cloud home.

But after another moment of silence, a rushing of wind grew closer to the house, growing in size and volume, until the source of the sound revealed itself in the form of a cyan pegasus.

Dash burst right through a wall of her cloud home, with no intention of stopping. The impact, while not enough to stop her, still managed to momentarily stun her, and by the time she regained her senses, she saw the floor of her house rushing up to meet her. She vaguely realized how fast she was going (which happened to be quite fast) before the impact.

The blue pony crashed, headfirst, into the floor of her home, tumbling head over hooves before skidding, headfirst, to a stop right in the middle of her floor. She lay on her back, chest heaving. Only then did she allow herself to think.

“I can’t believe Twilight would do something like that!” she found herself talking aloud. “Why would she kiss me?! Is that what’s been bothering her all this time?!”

She rolled onto her belly and winced, instead choosing to sit up. Looking down presented her with a thin, raw, and red wound that cut across her underbelly in a neat diagonal, surprisingly the only injury that her impromptu escape had given her. Not like it bothered her, anyway. She had been through worse.

Naturally, her thoughts went back to the ineviable. “Ugh... what made Twilight think that she could do something like that! She couldn’t have thought that would be a good idea, did she?”

She remembered Twilight’s reaction after their... incident. They were both shocked, speechless. And she had bolted before either of them had a chance to say anything. But.. I did that because I don’t feel that way about her... she reasoned with herself. She had never shown any sign of liking Twilight, after all. Another sigh, and the pegasus rolled to her hooves and started pacing. She most certainly hadn’t had to deal with anything like this before. For once, a situation like this required her serious thought.

“Okay, so let me get all of this stuff straight... Twilight likes me. There can’t be another reason why she did that. That’s what’s making her stay in her house all day. I don’t like her back, and she probably knows that already.”

She stopped her pacing for a moment, instead putting a hoof to her chin. “Should I have run away like that? Sure, I don’t share those feelings with her, but now she probably feels terrible...”

Rainbow stopped fully as she realized what Twilight’s reaction probably was. Something that probably involved crying. A lot of it. All of it because of her.

That definitely didn’t help her feel any better, at least not any more than her already unsure state.

“Maybe I should talk to her...” Rainbow sighed. If Twilight had gone through all of that trouble to show her feelings for Dash, she didn’t deserve a reaction like that. She needed support, and right away. Her mind made up, Dash took to the air, zooming out the hole that she had made moments before.

=================

Endless ocean. Not such a thing that should be crossed in a rowboat.

Twilight knew this, but her dreamworld did not. Or perhaps it did, but it decided that it would be a good idea just to poke fun at her in its own twisted way.

No sign of land, or anypony. But Twilight expected as much. Since, well, her idea to kiss Rainbow Dash had been such a great one, after all.

Twilight no longer had any doubt in her mind that Pinkie was right. She was the one who kept her apart from the pony she wanted. She always had been, without even realizing it. And now, thanks to her genius idea, they were further apart than ever.

With nothing around, Twilight could only stare into the water. A forlorn pony, complete with flattened ears and tear streaks down her face, stared back. That pony seemed as resigned and regretful as Twilight herself.

She couldn’t look any longer at that pony. It seemed too sad, too...longing. Fortunately, she didn’t have to.

The pony in the water opened its mouth. And, much to Twilight’s surprise, it spoke. “Twilight...”

“Huh?! What’s going on?” The unicorn leaned closer, but her reflection stayed where it was.

“Twilight... I need to talk to you...” That wasn’t her own voice.

“What? What is it?”


Her reflection swiveled its head, almost as if it were searching for something. Then it turned back to her, worry in its eyes. “Twilight!” it now said with urgency. “Wake up!”

================

She felt herself being shaken, gently. “Twilight, wake up.”

Naturally, Twilight wasn’t used to being waken up by anypony other than Spike. Her eyes flew open, and she shot up.”Aah! Stay back! What are you doing in my house-” She got a good look at who interrupted her dream, the moonbeams shining just enough light to reflect off of her polychromatic mane. “Rainbow?!”

“Okay, you’re awake.” Dash took a step back. “Twilight... we need to talk.”

The shock of seeing her friend in the middle of the night disappeared, and she was immediately reminded of her actions not hours before. She felt her face growing hot. “Uh... About what?” Though she knew full well “about what” her friend was referring to.

“You know,” came the response. And nothing more needed to be said. She did know.

“Yes, I do know.” Twilight murmured. “And I just want to say that... that I’m sorry. I never should’ve done that. I don’t know what I was thinking, I-I just thought-”

Her friend held up a hoof, and Twilight stopped. “Twilight, it’s okay. I guess I have something to be sorry for, too.”

“Why would you be sorry? You’re not the one who did something stupid. Like me,” she added after a moment.

“Yeah, but I shouldn’t have run off like that. I’m the reason that you’ve been stuck up in your house all this time, right?” A small nod from Twilight, and she continued. “I can’t blame you for what you did, then. You acted on what you felt, without thinking twice about it. Celestia knows how many times I’ve done that,” she finished with a smirk.

“So... you’re not mad at me? You don’t hate me?” Twilight almost couldn’t believe it.

To her surprise, Dash drew her into a light hug. “Of course not, Twi,” she reassured Twilight with a few pats on her back.

“But... you don’t feel the same way about me, do you?” That was it. She had to ask. Even though she already knew what the answer probably was.

Rainbow sighed. “No, Twilight. I don’t. But... that doesn’t mean that I never will. I’ll think about it. How about that?”

Twilight couldn’t help but smile. Considering all of the possible outcomes that could come out of this night, this definitely was on the better side. “Okay, Rainbow. And, thanks for... understanding me.”

Rainbow finally pulled away from the embrace. “No problem,” she answered with her cocky grin. “Besides, I had to, or else you’d be a wreck right now. And I can’t leave my friends like that. Anyway,” she turned, flaring her wings, “I’m glad that we could work this out. I’ll see you later, Twilight.” With that, she flew out the broken window, leaving Twilight alone with her thoughts. Well, almost.

Twilight was still watching the window which her friend had flown out of, a small smile on her features. She was interrupted by a scaly dragon claw, softly nudging her side. “Twilight?” a sleepy voice asked. “Who was that?”

“That was Rainbow Dash,” Twilight responded. “We... well, we just needed to talk.”

“Oh...” was Spike’s only response for a second or two. Then, he cleared his throat and continued. “Actually, I wanted to say something about that.”

The two waited in silence before Spike unexpectedly reached forward from his position at the foot of Twilight’s bed, wrapping his arms around Twilight’s neck. “Twilight... I’m sorry. I brought Rainbow Dash here, I read your dream journal, and I just caused this whole mess... You’re probably so mad at me-”

Spike was stopped as he felt a hoof across him, and he looked up to see Twilight returning the embrace. “Spike, it’s okay. I probably never would have acted on my feelings if you hadn’t brought her here. And, even better, she doesn’t hate me after I did that like I expected her to. We’re still friends, and I might even say that we could be closer because of this, which is all I wanted. So I guess I should thank you for going through all that trouble.”

Spike’s eyes widened, an action that went unnoticed by Twilight. “So... you think that me invading your privacy is a good thing?”

Twilight couldn’t help but giggle. “Of course not, Spike! Only in this case. If it were under any other circumstances, you would probably expecting a lecture from me, at the least!”

Spike smiled, and gave a small laugh of his own. “Okay, Twilight,” he responded, pulling out of the embrace. “Good night.”

“Good night, Spike. And... thanks.”

No more needed to be said. As Twilight slipped under her covers again, she went over the day’s events in her head. She had done something stupid and impulsive, and yet her outlook was more hopeful and open as a result. Sure, Rainbow may not share her feelings, but at least she knew that they would always be friends, and they would always be close. At least Twilight would have that.

Twilight closed her eyes. She didn’t fear sleep any more. She knew that the distance between them had been crossed, after all. The unicorn fell into sleep with a smile across her features, and didn’t dream about oceans and impassable distances.

Comments ( 18 )

I'd read now, but I need sleep. I'll post again later. This looks promising though.

-_-

Cute fic.
Like, "holy shit someone call the ambulance my heart my heart has stopped beating" level cute.
Not to say it isn't without its problems though.
Can't say I noticed any grammer or spelling errors, but...
The ending feels really rushed. RD rushes back in to Twilight's room, says a few words, then leaves. Bit of a disappointment imo, especially after such an excellent introduction and build up
Regardless, it still was a rather adorable read. I greatly enjoyed it.

well .. I'm disappointed,

you promised a generic twidash story, but this is a great twidash story

have my like

849481

To be honest, I did rush the ending.

After 19,000 or so words, the rest of this fic sat unwritten for about a month. I just wanted to finish it by that point. So yeah, I figured that the ending wouldn't be as good. I didn't think it was very good either.

Dang. Great introduction and buildup, and then this ending.
I'm sorry to say this, but that ending was a bit of a letdown. It was still a good story though. It's just that the ending felt rushed and unresolved to me.

Great fic right up till the end witch was disapointing this fic could use anothr chapter or an epilog and I think it would be perfect maby even one of my all time favorits but as it stands id give it a solidB-

852551

Yeah, I did rush it. I feel that myself.

To me, the ending of this story could've gone a few ways, other than the one I wrote.

1) Rainbow rejects Twilight, and yadda yadda crying and that stuff. I didn't do that because I hate sad endings.
2) Rainbow accepts Twilight, reveals that she has returns her feelings, they live happily ever after. I didn't do that either, because the way the story is written, what with none of it looking into Dash's mind, and that she never shows any notion of an attraction to Twilight, so it would seem like I'd have pulled it out of my butt.
3) The story could have been expanded instead of ending where I did. I didn't do that one because that doesn't really connect to the song that this is based off of. I also didn't do that because I'm too lazy.

Of course, none of that means that my ending is any more justified.

(In other words, a generic TwiDash story.)

I've found recently that some of the best Twidash stories are the ones that outright tell you they're just a normal Twidash story.

Reading with the fury of a thousand Sonic Rainnukes!

853517 Well, at least it's a sorta happy ending. Rainbow is open to it and they're still friends at least. :twilightsmile:

856233

I dunno. Maybe I'm not good with endings. I'll just have to improve upon that in the future.

855445

Read at your own risk.:derpytongue2:

I actually liked how you ended it, you are definitely right not to go with the sappy good ending where Rainbow just accepts it and ends up with no real development outside of two short scenes.

...of course now you're going to have to write a sequel from Dash's perspective.

884559

...
...
...
I'm hard-pressed to come up with my own ideas. Actually, 100% of my ideas for stories (so far) come from songs, like this one. So that would be hard to think of.

I never really intended for this story to expand on the relationship, and become one of those 20+ chapter shipping stories. In fact, I still don't want it to be:rainbowwild:

So I'll give it some thought, but don't expect anything. It's marked "Complete," after all.

Darn, I hate stories like this. The kind of "perhaps in the future", to be honst, this is of naturally a lot better then "WHAT?! I NEVER!?", still, I need my, even if there are so many, happy-end romance with all the sappy stuff you can imagine.
Of course, this story is well written and full with emotions but nevertheless it's something I hate to read in the night (the time where I'm mostly emotional).
In my opinion, the best shipping stories are thoses which have the sappy happy ending and a good, thoughtful, and well written story.
However, this was a good story, take my fav and thump up ^^
Cheers,
Galicorn
:heart:
(sorry for my english, it's pretty late and english isn't my first language :twilightblush:)

1171155

I definitely could've developed that ending more, but as it is, I'm sorry that my BS ending wasn't satisfying. I rushed it too much. Thanks for the feedback though, and actually, I enjoy those "yay they're together" endings the most. Don't think it could've been pulled off with this kind of setup though.

1172336

Thanks, and those formatting errors were actually corrected when I typed this out in Gdocs a few months ago. It's just that I didn't know how to import stories (whoops) and I just copy-pasted the whole darn thing. That didn't exactly turn out the way I expected.:twilightsheepish:

I loved this story. Awesome characterization - you made them much more mature, a nice touch. I'm glad you didn't end with Rainbow liking her back. This was a lot more realistic and satisfying. Nice job. :twilightsmile:

A very nice story. You got a little wordy at parts, but its clean and well-written style makes up for that:pinkiehappy:
EDIT:
I agree with the others. The ending felt a little rushed, but sometimes an open-ended story is good!

“...And you still don’t know why you keep having these dreams about her?” Pinkie sounded almost incredulous, her eyes widened slightly. At least she had leaned back in her chair, so she wasn’t making Twilight uncomfortable by being in her face.

“No! That’s why I’m asking you!” Why did Pinkie act like she knew everything all of a sudden? If she did, well, it wouldn’t be all too surprising, but-

“Isn’t it obvious? You’re the one causing those dreams! Since you’re not doing anything about your feelings for her, she’s only getting farther away from you.” Satisfied with her explanation, Pinkie resumed her signature grin.

:rainbowlaugh: took ya long enough!

Violet eyes met rose.

Rainbow's eyes are magenta, not rose. Rose is a very dark red while magenta is a dark pink.

Also, the first four lines of Hairline Fracture by Rise Against fits the part of them kissing and before they talk. What's funny is that's what played as I was reading that part. Possibly is the only reason why I found the similarity.

A sinking ship, an awkward kiss
A chance to set things straight
The kind of hurt that burns and burns
Like fires we can't contain

6247058
Well, the colour "rose" doesn't have a specific place in the spectrum, as roses can be from a deep red to a pearly white, where as magenta is much more specific. But, in this situation, magenta may be more accurate to describe her eyes though doesn't have the same emotional connection as rose. (and yes I know that stereotypically roses are red, but they're not always.)

Login or register to comment