• Published 6th Jan 2017
  • 2,644 Views, 90 Comments

Disharmonious Synchronization - Dilos1



In which a small green technician and a purple titan wind up in Equestria, much to their chagrin if not that of the locals.(Steven Universe crossover)

  • ...
8
 90
 2,644

Discussions

Twilight was almost out of breath as she galloped along, looking down every vacant hallway and corridor she found, sparing them only fleeting glances in her search for the Crystal Heart. She looked at everything that seemed suspicious to her. Vacant rooms, bookcases, underneath rugs, but for all of her searching she had yet to find anything even resembling the Crystal Heart, and she began to panic as the pressure set in, which had been steadily building up in her mind for hours ever since she learned the importance of the Heart, and it began to show in her appearance.

Her mane and tail had more than a few loose ends sticking out, and she had developed a nervous, almost crazed expression. Twilight began to feel that the situation was rapidly becoming hopeless as the seconds went by, and her search had still yielded no results. She glanced out of a tall arching window. Cadance's shield spell was deteriorating at an alarming rate, and Twilight's worry increased when she saw how just how close it was to failing. The snowy land outside the barrier was becoming became visible more frequently, as was the dark presence haunting its perimeter.

Twilight figured they had only a few short hours until the shield failed completely. When that happened, Sombra would be able to just move in, and the crystal ponies would be all but powerless to stop him.

As Twilight considered the situation, she found herself regretting not bringing the Elements of Harmony along to aid them. She was not sure how effective they would have been against the dark king though. The Elements were a force for healing, not destruction, so the effect they would have on Sombra, a pony whose heart was supposedly always as black as pitch, was a slim hope at best since there was nothing in him to heal. But still, they might have done something.

But Twilight could not dwell on it for any longer. She had to hurry and find the Crystal Heart as soon as possible.

She only hoped her friends were having a less difficult time in keeping the crystal ponies occupied.


"What do you mean you're out of fluglehorns?! How can you be out fluglehorns?!" Pinkie Pie demanded as she leaned over the counter, an enraged expression fixed upon Rainbow Dash..

"I mean we don't have any more fluglehorns Pinkie," Rainbow answered, having already grown impatient with the pink mare and her antics. Rainbow liked Pinkie, but there were times when the pegasus felt that she could dial it back a little on her hyperactive ways. Right now it seemed that Pinkie had channeled a good portion of that into getting her hooves on a fluglehorn, no matter what stood in her way. For what purpose Rainbow did not know, although she was fairly certain it involved the massive amounts of music equipment sitting on the earth pony mare's back.

It seemed to Rainbow that Pinkie must have robbed a marching band at some point while they were in the Empire, as it looked like she had everything from drums to cymbals to flutes to guitars to every other musical instrument Rainbow could think of. Everything but a fluglehorn apparently, as Pinkie continued in her request.

"Oh come on! Can't you check under the counter?" she asked, her big blue eyes becoming hopeful. Rainbow did not allow herself to be taken by the depths of her pleading gaze.

"Sorry Pinkie. Like I said, we're out," Rainbow stated.

"Aw phooie," Pinkie groaned as her head drooped. Rainbow was about to try and comfort her until Pinkie's head shot up again and she exclaimed, "Oh well. I guess I'll just have to look somewhere else then. And if can't find one I can just use a tuba!" With that, Pinkie bounced away, leaving Rainbow wondering how she was able to keep the musical equipment from falling off of her back. She decided not to ponder it, knowing that Pinkie was prone to the unexpected. After all, this was actually rather tame when compared to other things she had done.

Just then Rainbow caught sight of Rarity briskly trotting towards her with a worried expression on her face. Behind the unicorn mare a small group of crystal ponies followed, each one with a content smile on their muzzles as they approached, and Rainbow began to wonder what was going on that they were smiling but Rarity was not. Soon enough the fashionista and her entourage reached her, and Rainbow felt the need to ask a question.

"Hey Rarity, what are you-"

Rainbow did not get to finish her question when Rarity turned to address the ponies behind her, and their sparkling eyes darted between the white unicorn and the polychromatic pegasus with an anticipation that Rainbow was not sure she liked.

"And here we are dears," said Rarity in her usual slightly posh accent, though Rainbow detected an undercurrent of concern in her tone as she spoke. "As promised, I have brought you to the one and only Photo Finish!" she proclaimed with a flourish as she indicated Rainbow Dash with a sweeping gesture.

"Huh?" was all that Rainbow could say as her mind struggled to process the information it was just presented with, and she fixed Rarity with a confused and incredulous expression. She noticed that all of the ponies that had followed Rarity were looking at her with a certain amount of wonder and adoration, witch would have been just fine with Rainbow, but for completely different reasons. "Uh, Rarity? What are you doing?" Rainbow began to question. "What's going on here? Because the last time I checked I'm not-"

But Rainbow was cut off yet again when Rarity thrust a hoof in her mouth and quickly said, "Not giving out any autographs! Yes, that is what you were going to say was it not, Photo Finish?" Rainbow was not sure why, but the way Rarity directed the question at her made her feel if she did not answer correctly then an ancient evil returning to put them in chains would be the least of her worries. Unsure what was going on, Rainbow nodded hesitantly with the unicorns hoof still in her mouth. Smiling widely, Rarity removed the hoof and said to the gathered ponies, "Of course if you are lucky we might be able to arrange for a signing later on in the day."

The crystal ponies all beamed happily when they heard that, and their coats seemed to take on a more impressive sheen than before as they trotted away. After they had gone Rainbow fixed Rarity with annoyed expression. "What was that all about? Why were you saying that I was Photo Finish?"

Rarity responded with an apologetic look as she said, "Terribly sorry Rainbow darling. I am afraid that as I was keeping the crystal ponies occupied by making decorative hats, I found myself regaling them with more than a few tales of how Equestria at large is in the modern day. And somehow as I told them about my exploits with Photo Finish they got the impression that you were in fact the real deal."

Rainbow was not sure what to think about that. She had heard that Photo Finish was some kind of super star or something like that, so she probably should have felt flattered by the mix up. But at the same time, Rainbow was not sure how to feel about being associated with anything in the fashion industry. It was generally known that Rainbow was a daredevil at heart, so she was confused as to how she of all ponies could be mistaken as somepony like Photo Finish.

"How did. . . "she began to ask, only to falter as the though of such a thing even happening rendered her next to speechless. "Just. . . how? And why didn't you, I don't know, tell them the truth?"

"I am not quite sure how or why it happened darling. I would have gladly corrected their error, but they just seemed so happy at the prospect of meeting a celebrity that I just could not bear to tell them their hopes were false. So for the time being you are just going to have to pretend that you are indeed Photo Finish."

"I don't believe this!" Rainbow exclaimed, throwing her hooves up in the air. "You're telling me that I have to go around acting like some sort of fashion star or whatever that lady is?! No! I'm not gonna do it!" Rainbow crossed her forelimbs in a display of being resolute in her decision. She was not going to take this.

"It will only be for a little while darling, at least until Twilight has found the actual Crystal Heart."

Rainbow said nothing but continued to pout behind the counter. Rarity raised an eyebrow at her friends behavior and said, "You know, if the crystal ponies found out that Photo Finish was not here as they had hoped, they would be sorely disappointed. And we can't have that now, can we?"

Rarity let the question linger for a moment, then felt a sense of satisfaction when the stubborn mare's shoulders drooped in defeat as she groaned in a tone that suggested she was none too pleased with the situation, "Fine. But only until after we kick this Sombra guys plot. After that, I'm letting them know."

"Of course darling," Rarity said with a nod. "Speaking of, you wouldn't happen to know the current situation with Twilight would you?"

"Nope. I haven't seen her since she sent me out here," Rainbow answered, losing her glum countenance. Rarity sighed when she heard that there was still no news of whether or not Twilight had found the Crystal Heart.

"Oh well, there is still time," the unicorn said. "Well, I am afraid that I must be going now. Those hats won't make themselves."

With that, Rarity left, and Rainbow herself let out a sigh of relief that she was alone now. Her relief did not last long when she spotted a familiar group of crystal ponies looking at her with star struck eyes while they whispered to each other. And it looked like a few more ponies had joined their little fan group. Soon, more ponies came, and Rainbow began to feel like she was being crowded when they started to approach her.

"Uh, heh heh," Rainbow chuckled nervously. "Anypony want a fluglehorn?"


The Crystal gems were still at the Galaxy Warp, discussing what they would now that Peridot had gotten away from them. To be accurate, Pearl and Garnet were discussing what they would do while Amethyst lounged about with her head draping over the side of an inactive warp pad a short distance away. The taller gems paid her no mind, as Amethyst was known for contributing only when they were on a mission. Those happened often enough that it kept her from becoming a complete sloth, much to Pearl's joy.

Still, other than offering the occasional quip, Amethyst did little else other than lie down while Garnet and Pearl deliberated.

"This is starting to get on my nerves," Pearl admitted as she put a hand to her forehead, pinching the gem that was her namesake between her thumb and index finger. "Every time we even get close to catching her it's like Peridot always manages to stay one step ahead of us."

Garnet had adopted a contemplative expression as she thought, though Pearl was unable to glean what the taller gem was thing about behind her visor. "Hmmm. . ." was all Garnet said for the moment. She put a hand to her chin, showing a reddish jewel on her palm that sparkled a little whenever she moved. A similar jewel adorned her other hand, and for a brief moment Pearl felt a slight pang of jealousy for what Garnet had. The feeling soon passed however, and Pearl listened up when Garnet finally spoke.

"I wouldn't worry too much about it right now. We have a way to track her now whenever she uses a warp pad. It's only a matter of time until we catch up to her."

"Maybe," Pearl admitted, though she still sounded unsure as she began to pace around. "But it still bothers me that even after all this time she's managed to get away every time. Granted she is a Home-World gem, so she's bound to be a little unpredictable, but I get the feeling that we're missing something here. I don't know why, but somethings telling me that Peridot knows something that we don't."

"You mean your gut?" Amethyst offered, which only served to confuse Pearl.

"I'm sorry?" she said, looking at Amethyst like she had grown a second head, which actually would not have been the strangest thing she had done. Pearl should know. She shuddered every time she thought about the time Amethyst had cracked her gem.

"You know, a gut feeling," Amethyst began to explain, pointing at her stomach. "That's what Steven calls 'em anyway."

Pearl could do little more than raise an eyebrow as she regarded Amethyst, feeling like maybe she and Steven might be spending too much time together. She put it out of her mind to be addressed at a later date and turned back to Garnet.

"Anyway, as I was saying, I'm just getting the uh, gut feeling, that there is more to Peridot that we don't know about yet, and I want to find out what that is, but we still can't catch her! She just flies away every time!" At this point Pearl was beginning to shout from her building frustration, and her face turned sour as she resumed pacing.

"Pearl," Garnet said pulling Pearl out of her thoughts and making her come to stop. Garnet stepped over to Pearl and put a hand on her friends' shoulder. "It will be alright."

Pearl wanted to argue otherwise, to tell Garnet that everything would not be alright, but something in the taller gems voice made her calm down enough that she was able to take a breath to calm her nerves.

"You're right," she finally admitted after a brief moment of silence. She then added, "We should probably get going. Steven is going to be wondering where we are after a while."

"I'm still kinda bummed that the little guy couldn't come with us this time," Amethyst grumbled as she stood and brushed herself off. "I just don't get how someone could get so sick like that just from food. It's never done anything to me."

"That's what you keep saying, but I have yet to see any evidence supporting that claim," Garnet said as the trio walked to the warp pad they used to get here. "But the evidence suggesting that you can get sick was all over the place at point if I remember correctly."

Amethyst laughed nervously as she scratched the back of her head in embarrassment. Pearl just groaned as memories of that dark day resurfaced, and she began to feel nauseous herself just thinking about it. She was about to suggest that they change the topic of their lovely conversation when she realized that Garnet had suddenly stopped. She noticed only after they had walked ahead of her a few paces, and she felt a slight amount of concern well up inside her.

"Garnet?" she questioned. "Is something-"

"Shhh!" Garnet shushed her, putting a finger to her lips. Pearl immediately fell silent as she watched Garnet stroll back over the main warp pad in the center of the structure. Garnet squatted down to inspect something at the base of the pad. Then suddenly and without warning she ripped off a hidden panel, and the area was filled with a low hum that Pearl only just now realized had been present the entire time they had been here.

"What is that?" Amethyst questioned as they walked over to Garnet. They looked over her shoulders to see that the main warp pad had undergone a serious amount of tampering.

"Peridot's been busy," Garnet stated as she looked at the haphazardly repaired warp pad. "She's been trying to repair the Galaxy Warp."

"But that shouldn't be possible," said Pearl. "We destroyed all of her robonoids, she should not be able to fix the Galaxy Warp. It's been down for centuries. How could she have done it?"

Garnet did not answer immediately as she stood. She then faced them and said, "She's obviously much more resourceful than we initially thought."

"So what do you suggest we do then?" Amethyst asked as she looked around at the mess Peridot had made of the Galaxy Warp. "It's gonna take forever to take it all apart. And then what's stopping the nerd from just coming back and fixing it again, huh?"

For a moment Garnet remained silent while she considered what to do. She glanced around at the structure around them and at the mishmash of old gem technology that had been more or less just thrown together by the Home-World gem. Amethyst was right, it would take far too long for them to disassemble the repaired Galaxy-Warp. And whatever they took apart Peridot could just put back together again once they left. They needed a way to make sure that it stayed broken, so that Peridot would never consider as a viable option in the future.

Luckily Garnet knew of one way they could make that happen.

Turning to Amethyst Garnet fixed her with an expression that was completely blank except for a very slight grin that found its way to her lips. Amethyst noticed the look she was receiving, and reciprocated with one of confusion.

"Uh, why are you lookin' at me like that?" she asked. "Do I got something in my teeth?"

Pearl however immediately caught on to what Garnet was thinking about, and she suddenly became nervous at what the taller gem had all but said outright. She looked at Garnet with an apprehensive expression.

"Garnet, are you sure about that? You do know what happened the last time you two fused into Sugilite, right?"

The second Amethyst heard Pearl mention Sugilite she was practically jumping up and down with excitement. "Sugilite? Aw yeah! I'm down for that! I love bein' a big wrecking ball!"

"And do you love it when you lose control of Sugilite when she's been out for too long?" Pearl scolded. "You both know how aggressive she can be at times. You were lucky that I was able to get you two to separate the last time."

"Eh, we were fine. Just a little sore in the head for a while, nothing we couldn't handle. Right Garnet?"

Garnet simply nodded in agreement. She then turned to Pearl and said, "It will be alright. We'll be sure to keep her on a short leash."

Pearl looked like she was about to argue, like she wanted nothing more than to say no to Garnet's proposal. She wouldn't be so opposed to the idea if the fusion was not so. . . Pearl could not even find the right word to describe Sugilite. She supposed the closest comparison she could come up with was pigheaded. Egotistical also seemed to fit rather well, and Pearl found both of those qualities to be highly distasteful. Not to mention the last time they fused into Sugilite, the giant fusion had fallen out of control. Given all of this, it was understandable that Pearl would be against the idea of having Sugilite destroy the Galaxy-Warp, as the thrill of destruction tended to bring out the worst in the fusion. But still, Garnet was right in that it was perhaps their only sure fire way of being absolute certain that Peridot could never use the Galaxy Warp again. And she did already promise to be more careful this time. . .

Sighing heavily, Pearl's shoulders fell in defeat.

"Alright, fine," she said. "But I'm not going to stay to watch."

Garnet nodded, understanding completely why Pearl would not want to be present where Sugilite was concerned. She watched as her friend turned around and stepped onto one of the localized warp pads, before she disappeared in a flash of white as she was transported back home.

"Alright!" Amethyst exclaimed, pulling Garnet out of her thoughts. "Let's do this Big G!"

Garnet smirked. At least Amethyst was excited about it, which was more than what Garnet could say for herself

Author's Note:

Eh, I'm sure nothing bad will happen.

Hello Everyone, and welcome back. I hope that you enjoyed this chapter. Be sure to tell what you think of it in the comments, and also alert me to any errors be they big or small so that I can correct them.