• Published 3rd Jan 2017
  • 6,679 Views, 298 Comments

The Wooing of Sunset Shimmer - Rose Quill



Sunset and SciTwi continue to explore the depths of their relationship.

  • ...
13
 298
 6,679

Chapter Five - Preparations

I stomped my feet a little to clear the ice that had crusted onto them before I entered the cafe. I glanced around and spotted Twilight sitting at our regular table.

The Princess Twilight, that is. As I shrugged off my jacket and sat, she slid a steaming mug over to me. "I went ahead and ordered for you," she said with a smile. "I hope you don't mind."

"Not at all," I said, wrapping my hands around the warm ceramic. "I appreciate it, actually." A careful sip revealed a delightful hazelnut taste and pulled a sigh from my lips. "So, how are things?"

After a sip from her own mug, the Alicorn-turned-human smiled. "It's all pretty well business as usual, I suppose," she said. "Starlight is starting to get settled in now that she's had an adventure that proved her worth."

"Hard to believe that the Changelings changed so much," I said. "It seems quite simple from the outside I suppose."

"Trust me, I'd rather be on the outside of it from now on," she said, giving her arms a vigorous rub. "I was washing cocoon bits from my mane for a week it seemed, and don't get me started on the goo." She shuddered.

I let the comment slide. "So, what brings you over this time? It's not like you to just nip through a rift in the transdimensional fabric."

She perked up momentarily. "Oh, right! I almost forgot," she said as she picked up the coat the portal had given her and produced a small package handing it over to me. "It took a little less time to fashion it than I thought it would, and the quality is just as good as we hoped for."

I opened the box and gazed at the contents for a second before seeing her slide a card over.

"From all of us," she said.

"Thanks, Twilight," I said as I closed the box with the card inside. "I think she'll like this."

"It's a nice, thoughtful gift," she said. "I'm sure she'll love it."

We chatted for a few more minutes, laughing over funny stories that hadn't quite made it into the journal. It was a rare treat for me to have face to face time with the Princess, even during our trip to Equestria. Her duties often had her pulled away.

She pulled out a coin purse, the bits within jingling. "This is the best equivalence I could figure for what I owe you from the last time," she said. "Plus today and a little spending money for when you come over for Hearth's Warming."

"You didn't have to do that," I said, picking the purse up. "I still have bits from when I left."

"I know, but I didn't know how much," she said. "Just call it my Hearth's Warming gift."

I shook my head as I tucked the pouch away in one of my jacket pockets and pulled my wallet out, flagging the waitress down for the bill.

"Why do we meet here, by the way?" she asked as we got ready to leave. "It's a little out of the way, isn't it?"

"Mainly so no one recognizes us," I said, opening the door to my car for her to climb in. "Anywhere close to the school and you'd be recognized instantly. Plus, I'm dating this world's version of you. Imagine the problems that can cause."

She nodded as she realized the issues. "Point taken," she murmured.

As we approached the portal, she turned and hugged me. "I can't wait to see you both again," she said, a big smile on her face. "I'll have the portal opened at four, just like we agreed."

"I'll see you soon, Twilight," I said, her grin infectious. "Now get going before something decides to attack Ponyville in your absence."

She rolled her eyes. "That happens even while I'm there," she muttered before sliding through the glass.

I looked at the package on the passenger seat as I climbed back into my car. I frowned, then pulled my phone out.

"AJ?" I said into the mouthpiece. "I need a favor."