• Published 3rd Jan 2017
  • 6,673 Views, 298 Comments

The Wooing of Sunset Shimmer - Rose Quill



Sunset and SciTwi continue to explore the depths of their relationship.

  • ...
13
 298
 6,673

Chapter Twelve - Spa's Well that Ends Well

"This way, if you please," Aloe said as she nudged the door open that led to the actual treatment rooms. "The steam room should be available for you by now. And afterwards, we have prepared a luxurious hot stone massage for you both and a relaxing soak in our mineral baths."

I smiled and turned to the pony as I adjusted the belt on the fluffy spa robe I was wearing. "Thank you so much for seeing us on such a short notice," I said, levitating a few bits from the pocket. "I think this is just what we needed."

Sunshine smiled as well, her mane held back with a flat bandana and garbed in a similar robe. "Yes, thank you," she said.

Aloe accepted the bits while she waved the comment away. "Please," she said, her accent stretching the vowels slightly. "We are honored to have you here. Ms. Rarity was very specific on what to include in your introductory package."

Lotus Blossom walked up, nodding. "While you are here, hooficures and horn filings are available during any of your other treatments if you wish."

I tilted my head for a moment. It had been a while since I had my horn filed. I wasn't overly vain in regards to it, but it was a little uneven in it's spiral. "That sounds nice," I said. "I'll think on it during the steam."

Sunshine couldn't keep her question too long after we got into the private steam room.

"Why did she offer to file our horns?" she asked. "Won't that affect our magic?"

I shook my head, leaning back in the wooden seat. "Our horns grow slowly every day, and sometimes not completely evenly," I said. "It's mostly cosmetic and all it does really is even up the angle and smooth out rough spots. It's a little silly, really, since it's just for show. It's like getting your eyebrows waxed back home."

She frowned at that. "What happens if you don't do it?"

"Nothing, really," I said. "Like I said, it's just a cosmetic thing. Horns grow rather smooth all around. Just some years the angle and taper go through fads. Rarity would know more than I would, seeing as how I don't do this as often as she does."

Sunshine nodded and tilted her head back, a sigh slipping from her lips.

"This is nice," she said. "I've gone to a few of these with Cadence in the past, and once with Rarity, Fluttershy, and AJ, but not you. Why do you dislike this so much?"

I shrugged. "It just strikes me as a bit more vain than I like feeling," I said. "Especially after my reformation. I feel like doing more than the normal routine outside of big events is overkill. You've seen me in the mornings, so you know what I'm talking about."

"Yes," she said. "And your habit of casual indifference is cute when you give yourself the finger guns in the mirror when your hair is a mess."

"You've not a lot of room to talk," I teased back. I've seen you after the nights you don't braid it for bed, all twisted and tangled."

She smiled with a giggle. "I suppose so," she agreed. "But is this really so bad?"

I shook my head. "No, this fits my special occasion clause," I said lazily. "The night of a big ball with my special somepony who may or may not be my fiancé at the moment counts as a big event."

She blushed in a way that had nothing to do with the steam. "As nice as the thought is, isn't that a little premature?"

I cracked an eye open and smiled. "I'm just teasing. We only talked about it this morning. It's a nice thought, though."

"That's not what I meant," she said as she sat up and went to stretch out on her tummy. "I meant you didn't ask and I didn't get to accept. Besides, we've only been dating for a couple months."

"Twilight," I said seriously. "We're hard-wired together on the emotional level by a silly conjunctive effect from you siphoning magic from me through a planar gateway. I think that makes for a pretty strong relationship. If you want me to do it all formal and proper, I will."

She waved a hoof at the thought. "No, that's alright," she said sleepily. "It'd be too soon to announce it anyway. Cadence and Shining Armor just announced their engagement two weeks ago and I don't want to seem like we're just following suit. Besides, if you were to propose, I'd want you to do it your way."

I nodded, closing my eye and seeing the simple design of my mother's ring.

"You have a point, there," I said. "I do have my own way of doing things."

She smiled and scooted over to kiss me.

"That's why I love you," she said. "I never know what to expect, despite this emotional bond." She sat up and levitated her robe to her. "Now I'm quite ready for a massage, how about you?"