• Published 3rd Jan 2017
  • 6,679 Views, 298 Comments

The Wooing of Sunset Shimmer - Rose Quill



Sunset and SciTwi continue to explore the depths of their relationship.

  • ...
13
 298
 6,679

Chapter One - Dinner Invitation

I blinked for a moment, pausing as I pulled on my coat. “Come again?”

Twilight looked down slightly, holding her elbow and blushing. “I want to have you over for Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow night," she said simply. "I know Thanksgiving was last week, and you usually spend it alone, but I thought maybe I could make something for you. But I had to let my folks know and now they insist on meeting you.” She looked away completely. “I told them it was ok, but Cadence and Shining wanted in too. So now, if you still want to have dinner at my place, you’ll have to brave the gauntlet of my whole family.”

I shrugged the rest of the way into my coat and pulled my hair free before reaching out and taking one of her hands in mine and bringing it up to kiss. “If Cadence and your brother are anything like their pony counterparts, then I can probably survive your parents.” I pulled her into a hug. “Besides, it’s nice of you to offer. If you don’t want to go through with it, I’ll understand. I never really got behind the whole tradition anyway.”

She sighed with frustration. “It’s not really fair, though. I mean, they let me spend a week in Equestria with you, and I’ve stayed over at your place a few times. Why the sudden need to meet you? I’ve looked at all the possible reasons, from needing to verify someone before letting them into the house to the psychological desire parents have to protect their children. I can’t justify it in any form...and why are you laughing?”

“Twily, let me ask you one question. When you told them who you were going to be going with to attend my mom’s funeral, how did you describe me to them?”

“That I had a friend that had just lost her mom and I didn’t think she should be alone. They agreed, by the way.”

“But now, instead of me being just a friend, I’m your girlfriend. I’ve gone from harmless acquaintance to a romantic interest that you are inviting over for dinner. That’s likely why.”

She gaped at me before face-palming with both hands, face turning red. “They’re not!” she exclaimed.

“Probably are,” I replied, leading the bespectacled bookworm towards the door. “Empty nest worries are unpredictable. Have you already planned out what to make?”

“Not really, I wanted to make sure it was ok with you first.”

I gave her a peck on the cheek before digging my car keys out of my purse. “Then ask them why before asking them for ideas on what to cook. Involve them.” I stared off into space for a moment, keys held in my hand.

“Sunny,” Twilight sing-songed, breaking me out of my daze.

I shook my head, blinking a tear away. “Sorry,” I said, unlocking the car doors and sliding in. “Memories.”

She slid into the other side. “Thinking about your mom again?”

I nodded. “When she was out of town for work, Dew would watch Glory and me. We’d always decide together what to have for dinner, and Mom would always let us help make menus. I remember her smile from the time, and thought maybe it would be a nice gesture on your part to include them.”

She was silent most of the trip, but I could almost hear the wheels turning in her mind. I dropped her off at her house and gave her a wink before pulling off.

The rest of the night was unremarkable. I got a renewal notice for my insurance which was set to automatically debit from my account. Since I was driving an older car that had a good safety record I paid next to nothing when you compared it to Dash’s sports car or Rarity’s convertible. I still lost out to AJ and Fluttershy though, with AJ’s truck being grandfathered into a lower cost bracket and Shy getting a rebate for driving a hybrid. I also received a notice that I might already be a millionaire.

Later that night, the book stamped with my cutie mark started to vibrate. I opened it up and read the message within.

Dear Sunset Shimmer,

Just wanted to see if you were still going to be coming around for Hearth’s Warming Eve. We’re looking forward to seeing you and Sunshine again. Your sisters have also expressed excitement for you to visit for a bit.

They’re holding a holiday ball in Canterlot this year, and the Princess just happened to leave a pair of invitations for the two of you as well. If you’re so inclined, that is.

It’s a shame you missed out on the last harvest at Sweet Apple Acres. The zap apple jam was amazing and I think this is the best batch of cider AJ has have produced. We have a bottle or two saved back for Hearth’s Warming, though.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Princess Twilight Sparkle.

I smiled and grabbed my pen, letting her know that we still planned to come over for Hearth’s Warming. I asked for more information about the ball and asked her to pass my love to my sisters and hugs from Sunshine and me to her circle of friends. I had no sooner shut the book than my phone buzzed softly.

My, I’m popular tonight, I thought.

It was a text from Twilight, letting me know I had been right about the reasoning, asking me if seven would work, and if I had any dietary concerns or preferences she should know about.

Well, it was a little wordier than that, but you get the point. I responded with a short affirmative and requested something mostly vegetarian. I may have a human anatomy, but my stomach still twists at the thought of eating meat. It just didn’t jibe with my mind, among other reasons.

I went to sleep that night wondering what was in store and what I had gotten myself into by agreeing to this dinner.

I suddenly worried about what to wear, and I made a call.

“Sunset, darling, do you have any idea of what hour it is?” Rarity’s sleepy voice asked.

“Three words: Need fashion advice.”

“What kind of advice?” the Fashionista asked, her voice perking up slightly.

“Twilight invited me to dinner at her place, and her whole family is going to be present. I want to wear something nice, but I’m not sure what.”

“Define nice, dear.”

I frowned for a second, groping for the words. “Warm and slightly dressy, but not too stiff and formal or too casual.”

A yawn came over the line. “I can be over tomorrow to help. What time is dinner?”

“Seven,” I sighed. “I hate to be a bother, Rarity.”

“Pish-posh, darling. I’m happy to help. Provided,” she yawned again. “I get my beauty sleep.”

“Thank you so much, Rarity.”