• Published 8th Jan 2017
  • 1,250 Views, 10 Comments

Love Exceeds Stupid - chillbook1

  • ...
5
 10
 1,250

Love Exceeds Stupid

Aria and Sonata thought they knew what they were doing.

After school, a healthy relationship, and a successful marriage, there was only one logical progression in their growing family. They were missing only one thing in their lives, one thing that Sonata became convinced that they desperately needed. Aria was happy to go along, presuming that nothing could be more difficult than what she’s already experienced in her long, complicated, whacky life.

Then, instead of that one thing that they needed, they ended up with two.

It wasn’t planned. Twins were a “happy accident” sort of thing, and a very happy one at that. Even though they were caught majorly off-guard with the extra addition, the Blazes wouldn’t change a thing. They knew it would be difficult, but Aria and Sonata had done the research. They spent hours upon hours in Aria’s studio, pouring over books and magazines and internet articles. Every blog, radio show, and episode of Oprah that they could find pertaining to raising a kid, the Blazes studied them. Aria started off very unsure, but, by the time Sonata had actually given birth, she was right on board with Sonata. They were certain that they knew what to do.

They were wrong.


“Mommy! Mommy!” said Bellatrix, kicking her little legs in her chair. “I want pancakes!”

“I want french toast,” chimed Blake, though considerably more calmly than his sister beside him.

“Pancakes!” Bellatrix kicked wildly and flailed her tiny fists, almost hitting her brother in the head.

“French toast!”

“Pancakes!”

“French toast!”

“Pancakes!”

“Nobody is getting anything until they remember their manners,” said Sonata, her arms crossed over her chest. She really should’ve been used to it by this point. It happened every morning: She’d get out of bed, wake up the twins and get them ready for the day, all with no incident. It was when Sonata started on breakfast that the issues began.

Bella and Blake were good kids. That much was obvious when the two weren’t bickering. But, perhaps as to be expected, the two twins argued over just about everything. When they argued, they tended to forget how to behave. Like now, when Sonata just wanted to feed her kids before setting them along their daily routine, and they were fighting over… Absolutely nothing.

“Sorry, Mommy,” said the twins, in perfect synch. Sonata let out a small sigh of exasperation, then tightened the string on her robe.

“It’s alright,” said Sonata warmly. “I can’t stay mad at you two for long.”

“So… Can we have pancakes? Please, Mommy?” asked Bellatrix, her eyes shining with childlike wonder. Sonata giggled, then went about digging in the cupboards. The more she looked at Bellatrix, the more Sonata saw herself. They had the same complexion and the same bright, happy glow in their eyes. Bella’s hair, however, was just the same color as Aria’s.

Blake was the opposite, looking mostly like Aria. The same complexion, the same eyes, the same sharp features. He had hair much like his mother's, though, a calm, dark blue.

“Of course, baby. Pancakes, coming right up,” said Sonata with a grin.

“Yay!”

“But… I wanted french toast…” said Blake quietly. Sonata smiled, grabbed the flour and sugar from the cabinet and twirled through the kitchen, dropping her ingredients on the counter before going to fetch more.

“Don’t worry, sweetie, I’ll make you your french toast.”

“Sounds like a lot of work.” All heads turned to the entrance, where one Aria Blaze stood with a smirk on her face. “Need some help there?”

“Dad!” cheered the twins. “Good morning!”

“Morning, ya little munchkins,” said Aria, strolling in and kissing them both on the forehead. “So, Sony? What do you need me to do?”

“I need you to take a seat and wait for breakfast,” said Sonata, waving a spatula at her wife. “It’s just breakfast. I can manage.” Aria crossed the kitchen and pecked Sonata on the cheek.

“You sure? I can just—” Sonata swiped her spatula, smacking Aria’s approaching hand away. “Ow!”

“Sit down, Ari,” said Sonata, turning her attention back to breakfast. “Coffee will be ready in a few. Same with pancakes and french toast.”

“Mhmm. Normally, that’d be my job,” said Aria.

“You already have a job. Let me do mine.”

“Fair enough.” Aria noticed that her daughter was laughing. “Hey, what’s so funny, Trix?”

“You and Mommy are funny.”

“Heh. I guess we are,” said Aria. She let out a yawn and stretched out tiredly. “You sure you don’t want my help, Sonata?” Sonata rolled her eyes, too busy mixing her batter to turn and respond.

“I swear, it’s like you’re afraid I’m gonna poison you or something,” said Sonata.

“I’m just trying to be helpful, is all. I know better than anyone that you’ve had problems in the kitchen.”

“Mommy’s food was bleh,” said Bellatrix.

“Yucky,” agreed Blake. Aria chuckled, burying her face in her hands.

“Geez, these kids are gonna get me in trouble,” she said. If Sonata heard her, she ignored it, and kept on with breakfast. After quickly prepping bread for french toast, she grabbed the coffee pot, filled up a cup, and slid it over to Aria.

“Here ya go, babe. And don’t worry, I’m using your recipes,” said Sonata, immediately busying herself by the stove. “I couldn’t mess this up if I tried.”

“Thanks, Sony,” said Aria, taking a sip of her coffee. As she did, she noticed that Bellatrix was staring at her, as if trying to unravel some great mystery. “What’s up, kid?”

“How come you drink coffee every morning?” she asked.

“Well, it helps me wake up and be ready for work.”

“Oh. Can I have some?”

“I don’t think you’ll like it.” Aria took another sip, sighing at the deep, bitter taste of her drink. “It’s a grown-up thing.”

“I like grown-up stuff sometimes,” argued Bellatrix. Aria chuckled, then looked down at her cup.

“Alright, then. Here, have a sip.”

“Don’t you dare give that girl coffee,” said Sonata suddenly, still not turning around. “It’ll stunt her growth, curb her mental development, and the last thing I need is her bouncing off the walls all day.”

“Whoops. Sorry, Trix, you heard the lady,” said Aria. “She’s the boss.”

“Awww.”

“Shoot, I gotta go,” said Aria, looking down at her watch. “We’re getting close to our deadline at the studio, and I need to pick up some of the slack left by the other artists.”

“But you need to eat something,” said Sonata.

“I’ll grab a bagel on the way there or something.” Aria quickly downed her coffee and rose from the table. “See you tonight.”

“Definitely,” said Sonata, though she had lost a little bit of the bounce in her voice. “Wouldn't miss it for the world.” Aria strolled over and wrapped her arms around Sonata, giving her a little kiss on the cheek.

“I love you, babe,” said Aria. Sonata sighed, smiling in spite of herself.

“Love you more,” she said. Aria laughed.

“Not on your life.” She headed for the door, rustling Blake’s hair, then Bella’s. “Behave for your mother, kids. And Sony?” Sonata looked back, curious. “Miss you already.”

Sonata grinned, winking slyly at her wife.

“Missed ya first.”

And, with that, Aria was gone. Sonata let out another sigh, then went back to finish breakfast. It was quiet for a moment, then the twins started back up. Sonata couldn't quite hear what they were saying, but she was happy that they weren't arguing anymore. Then, she began to worry. When the twins argued, that was easy to handle. It was when they started to put their heads together that property started to be damaged.

“So, what're we talking about?” asked Sonata, turning around with a plate each of pancakes and french toast. She served her kids, then went to the fridge to grab milk.

“Thanks, Mommy!” said Bellatrix brightly. Her brother muttered a thanks of his own before nibbling at his breakfast.

“It was my pleasure, my darling little angels.” Sonata returned with two sippy cups of milk, which she passed to the twins. “Seriously, what're we talking about?”

“We want to know why you're so sad,” said Bellatrix. Not for the first time, and surely not the last, Sonata was confused.

“Huh? What makes you think I'm sad?”

“You go like this a lot,” said Bella. She took in a deep, exaggerated breath, and let it all out at once. “And you smile less when Dad is at work.”

“You look sad sometimes, too,” said Blake. “Your face goes all frowny for a bit.” Sonata chuckled. These kids of hers were full of surprises.

“Don't you worry about me. Mommy’s not said,” said Sonata. “Sure, I miss your Dad when she's gone, but that's okay. I see her every morning and every night.”

“But what about afternoons?” asked Blake.

“And naptime?” added Bella. Blake nodded, apparently impressed that his sister had made such a good point.

“And snacktime. What do you do then?”

“Well, I spend time with you little rascals,” said Sonata with a smile. “And you two make me happier than just about anything. Besides, your Dad is always here, even when she's gone.” The twins shared a shocked, awed look, their tiny jaws just about hitting the floor.

“Daddy can be in two places at the same time?” asked Bellatrix. “She must be magic!” Sonata tried to hold in her laugh but failed miserably.

“No, no, that's not what I meant. Just look around,” said Sonata. “You can see her everywhere. The paintings she made, before you were born. The comics she leaves laying around. The brownies she baked for your snack today.”

“Ooh, Dad made brownies?” asked Bellatrix. Blake gave her a disappointed sort of look, which brought her back to focus. “But she's not really here, right?”

“Sadly, no. But that's okay. I've spent a long time with Aria, so a few hours apart isn't the end of the world,” said Sonata.

“You should go on a date,” said Blake. Sonata gave him a puzzled look. “Well, that's what people do, right? When they love each other?”

“Your dad and I have been on a whole bunch of dates. Sometimes, it's nice to change things up.”

“How many dates?” asked Bellatrix.

“Hm… I don't know. More than we can count.” Sonata loved that she could talk to her kids like this. They always made her smile. “How many do you think people need?”

“Hm… At least two,” said Bellatrix. “Then they can get married, I guess.”

Once again, Sonata tried, and failed, to hold in her laughs.

As she was laughing, though, she took a minute to think about what the twins were saying. She didn't think she was sad, maybe just a bit more tired than usual. Of course, that was expected. She knew that having kids would be an energy-draining experience. And of course she missed Aria. For years, it was just the two of them. Aria had devoted all of her attention to Sonata, and vice versa. But, between Aria’s job and Sonata watching the kids during the day, their attention was becoming divided. It seemed like the two, who used to click instantly, we're becoming distant. It was as if they never saw each other. As if they were different people.

And it was then that Sonata realized something. She realized that, for better or for worst, things had changed. Of course they did, she thought to herself, she'd be stupid not to think they would. Their whole family dynamic was shifting. Of course her relationship with Aria would change. It was impossible for it not to. As such, Sonata realized that she had two options. She could either accept that this was the way things were, or she could try to grab up every moment with her wife and cherish it.

Her choice was obvious, and she immediately started thinking about how she would make some time with Aria.


“Kids went down alright,” said Aria, yawning as she stepped into her bedroom. Sonata lay there in wait, her attention apparently devoted entirely to her phone. “What did you do to them, to get them tired out like that?”

“When we had our outside time, Bella and Blake decided to bury all of my jewelry in the backyard,” sighed Sonata. “And we had a fun time finding and cleaning it all.”

“Heh. Little trouble-makers,” snickered Aria. “Not too much trouble, though. Right?”

“Nope. Just a bit of the usual.” Sonata looked up slightly, watching as Aria stepped further into the room. “I'm glad they went to sleep okay. I could use some rest.”

“I bet. I had a day and a half, myself. I had two line artists and a colorist quit on me,” groaned Aria. “Had to shoulder their work, and at the same time help the storyboard artist finish before deadline and… You know what? Let's just say that I'm happy to be home.”

“Not as happy as I am to see you,” said Sonata. “You coming to bed?”

“Yeah, I was gonna change and turn in early. I have the weekend off, so I figured it'd be good to get some rest so we can all spend some time together.”

“Mh-hm. Sounds totes great.”

Aria noticed that her wife's voice was harder than usual. Something felt off in her tone. It wasn't like Sonata to keep her feelings bottled up like this. Aria decided that, once she was in some more comfortable clothing, she'd settle down next to Sonata and get to the bottom of things.

“So, you guys got VAs yet?” asked Sonata. Aria nodded, then started shedding her shirt and jeans.

“We need vocalists, though. I can put you down for it, if you want.” Aria slipped into her pajamas, then rolled into bed. “You’d actually be really good for this. We could use a voice like yours.”

“Hm… I dunno. I haven’t sang for ages,” said Sonata with a slight hum. “Might be fun, though. Maybe if I can find someone to watch the twins…”

“Is that what’s on your mind?” asked Aria. She grabbed her tablet and stylus from the nightstand and began to doodle. “You seem kinda miffed.”

“You know how hard it is to clean mud off of diamonds? I had a long day,” sighed Sonata. “Don’t worry about me, though. Let’s worry about you.”

“Me?”

“Mh-hm. You work so hard, come home tired every day. When’s the last time we had some alone time?”

“Well, last I checked…” Aria looked down at an invisible watch on her wrist. “Now. Now was the last time we were alone together.”

“You know what I meant, wiseguy. Don’t you sometimes miss how things used to be?” asked Sonata. “Back when we could just decide to stay in on a Tuesday and… Well, enjoy each other’s company?”

“Heh. Yeah, that was fun,” chuckled Aria. “But I kinda like the responsibility. Makes me feel like I’m doing something that matters. Plus, I love those little rugrats of ours.”

“Of course, of course, but… Well, you know how it is. Our chances to hook up are kinda limited.”

“Uh-huh…”

“Like, we’d have to take any opportunity we could find for some alone time,” said Sonata, turning on her side and winking at Aria. She was too enthralled in her art to really notice.

“Right. Alone time.”

“Like right now, when the kids are asleep.”

“What are you trying to say, babe?” asked Aria. Sonata rolled her eyes. All these years, everyone was convinced that she was the dim one. Unbeknownst to them, Aria apparently had a bit of a ditzy streak to her.

“What I’m saying is, maybe you put away the tablet,” said Sonata, slowly taking the tablet out of Aria’s hand. “And you go have a little drink, and we can—”

“Mommy! Mommy!”

“Do none of what I was just talking about,” sighed Sonata. More loudly, she said, “Come in!”

The door swung open and both twins ran into the room, hopping directly onto the bed and making a sort of nest in between Aria and Sonata.

“What’s wrong?” asked Sonata.

“We can’t sleep,” said Bellatrix.

“Too dark,” added Blake. “Scary.”

“We wanna stay in here, with you.”

“Sure,” said Aria. Sonata shot her a bit of a glare. “What?”

“Babe, we were just… No, it’s fine. Now isn’t the time to be thinking like that,” said Sonata. “This is nice, too.”

Aria noticed how tired and dejected Sonata looked, and could only imagine how badly she needed some time off. Caring for one child alone is tough, but two at the same time? Some would say impossible. If anyone needed a day off, it was Sonata.

“Hm… What if I take off til Monday, and we go someplace?” suggested Aria. “No kids, no work. Just you and me. Sound good?”

“Too good. Who are we gonna get to watch the twins all weekend?”

“What if I told you I knew the perfect babysitter in mind?” asked Aria. “Someone who’s not busy, owes me a favor, and couldn’t say no even if she didn’t?”

“I’d say you’re making stuff up.”

“Ha! I’ll send her a text now. So, what’re you thinking?” Aria grabbed her cell phone and sent out a text. “The Lodge? A nice hotel? Maybe we can—”

“Shhh!” Sonata pointed at the two sleeping children that were nestled into one another. Sonata raised the blanket up over Blake and Bella, planting a kiss on each of their foreheads.

“Goodnight, sweet babies,” whispered Sonata. She leaned over and kissed Aria. “And you too, hon.”

“Don’t worry, babe,” whispered Aria. “We’re gonna have a nice weekend together. Our babysitter will come through for us.”


“Are you absolutely insane?!” demanded Adagio, grabbing two fistfuls of her big, poofy hair. “Why would I ever agree to do something as asinine as babysitting?!”

“Because I helped you lose ten pounds when you were afraid you were getting fat,” said Aria. “And you said, and I quote, ‘Thank you so much, Aria, I owe you a favor’. So, I’m coming to collect.”

“Babysitting does not qualify as a favor!”

“That wasn’t in the terms of the agreement! You never said there were limits.”

“I didn’t think I had to,” growled Adagio. “It should’ve been implied!”

Sonata giggled, dividing her attention into two zones; one that watched her twins run around Adagio’s living room and another dedicated to listening to her two oldest friends go at it like nothing has changed.

“Come on, Dag, you owe me! Not just for the weight thing, you owe me a lot!”

“And how the hell—”

“Hey, watch the language, there are kids here” said Sonata. Adagio glared in her direction, barely containing her anger.

“And how the heck do you figure that I owe you?!” snapped Adagio.

“I helped you move into this place,” said Aria.

“The statute of limitations on ‘helping a friend move’ has long since expired.” Adagio rolled her eyes, taking a sip of her tea.

“Remember that time you got plastered and started a bar fight?” asked Aria. “And I knocked that bodybuilder out and got you home, nice and safe?”

“Yes, except I distinctly remember that fight being all your fault.”

“Ah! What about that time you bleached my favorite jeans? I loved those jeans, man, and you ruined them!”

“That was like thirty years ago!”

“Look, we could do this all day,” groaned Aria. “And, whether you think you owe me or not, there’s one thing you can’t deny.”

“Really?” Adagio sat her tea down. “And what’s that?”

“That you’re my best friend, and this is the sort of thing that a best friend does,” said Aria, a sly smirk on her face. “And I’d love you forever if you just watched the kids for three days.”

Adagio let out a long, tired, annoyed groan, burying her face in her palms.

“I must be crazy… Fine! I’ll watch them!” Adagio pulled out her phone to text Silver, telling him that their plans would be changing. “Just this once, Aria. Never again.”

“Perfect! See, Sony, I told you things would be fine,” said Aria. “Blake! Trix! Come here for a second!”

Almost immediately, the twins stopped what they were doing and rushed over to Aria’s position.

“Yes, Dad?” they said in unison.

“Alright, your mother and I are going away for the weekend, and you’re gonna stay with your Auntie Adagio,” said Aria, ignoring Adagio’s silent retching at the word ‘Auntie’. “I want you two to behave yourselves while we’re gone. Promise that you’ll be nice to Auntie Adagio?”

“We promise!” said the twins. Aria grinned, then stood up, grabbing Sonata’s hand.

“Good. We’ll be back with a bag packed for them,” said Aria. “Don’t hurt our kids, alright?”

“Ugh. I guess I’m stuck looking after you little gremlins,” grumbled Adagio. Somehow ignoring their aunt’s obvious distaste for the situation, the twins ran over and jumped onto their aunt.

“Yay! Auntie Adagio!” cheered the twins. Adagio, barely able to move with a small child firmly grasped onto each leg, clutched her head in anticipation and dread for the coming storm.

“Oh, this was a mistake,” said Adagio.

“No backsies!” laughed Sonata, She linked arms with Aria and headed for the door. “See ya, Dagi! Thanks again!”

Adagio watched as her two oldest friends basically skipped out of her home, leaving their spawn in her living room. She shook her head, staring down at the two small children still attached to her legs.

“So… What are the odds that we’ll be able to have a nice, quiet weekend?” asked Adagio, mostly rhetorically.

“Is there a number smaller than zero?” asked Blake.

“Yeah, that’s about what I thought,” sighed Adagio.

Author's Note:

I'm doing this again. I said it was done, that I was finished, but I still have one more story to tell. I've covered their dating years, their early marriage, even their end, but I have yet to tell about the most important thing to happen to the Blazes: being parents. So, one more time, I pick up my pen.

Please, tell me what you think, and how you think I can improve. I'm always learning from these stories, and I want to put out the best content humanly possible.

See you next time with Adagio's first (and possibly last) experience with babysitting.

Comments ( 10 )

You are a damn Saint. Thank you for continuing your wonderful work!

7852373 Thank you for reading, and for sharing that damn adorable little Neo pic of yours

7852406 don't mention it

the twins ran over and jumped onto their aunt. “Yay! Auntie Adagio!” cheered the twins

Gah!!!


Damn it! Again with this!!!


I'm sending you the bill for for all the insulin I'm gonna need.

"So… What are the odds that we’ll be able to have a nice, quiet weekend?” asked Adagio, mostly rhetorically.
“Is there a number smaller than zero?” asked Blake.
“Yeah, that’s about what I thought,” sighed Adagio.

:rainbowlaugh:

I like these kids.

Considering the way the last story ended, I doubt this is going to be the only time Adagio babysits.

This story.....comes back for more laughs and sweetness, this time in their time as responsible parents :pinkiehappy:


This is going to be a one heck of a ride

I love it. Please update.

Login or register to comment