• Published 3rd Jul 2012
  • 14,452 Views, 609 Comments

The Truth - Jet Cannon



Apple Bloom learns a shocking secret about her family, and herself, hidden years ago by tragedy...

  • ...
41
 609
 14,452

2

The rest of the day passed without further incident. Deciding that filial inspiration was not the way to go, and without good enough weather to try much else, the CMC ended up staying in their clubhouse for most of the day and playing board games, charades, “I Spy” and so on until it was time for them all to go home.

Apple Bloom bade her friends goodnight and set off along the path to her family’s farmhouse. As she walked through the light drizzle, she began to think back to their conversation about families. She smiled as she heard Applejack’s voice in her head, talking about their parents:

“They were the greatest parents a filly could hope for, AB. Anytime me or yer brother was sad or worried or hurt, they’d be there in a jiffy and make everything better right away! And every time they looked atcha they’d have this look in their eyes, real special like, as though you were the most important pony in the whole world. Only a parent can really do that for ya!”

The young filly had never really thought about it before, but in that instant she realised something: picturing her brother and sister clearly in her mind, she saw on their faces this same, special look, reserved only for her, and she felt her eyes sting as they began to tear up.

“They might not be mah parents really; but, really, they have been!”

In the few seconds it took her to decide whether what she just said actually made sense, she didn’t notice the increasingly dark rainclouds gathering overhead. The Pegasus ponies had been forced to schedule a deluge to make up for recent timetabling failures, and Apple Bloom had forgotten all about it. Well, she certainly remembered once the fat raindrops began falling thick and fast all around her! With a cry of “Oh no!” she began to gallop down the path as fast as her small legs could carry her.

Inside the large wooden farmhouse, Applejack was putting away the last of the pots and pans from that night’s dinner. Apple Bloom had, as she often did on weekends, brought Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo home for dinner, which had meant there was more cleaning up to be done, and Applejack had only managed to get round to it now that her other chores were finished, but she didn’t really mind. Although she wouldn’t have admitted it to the young filly, Applejack was perfectly prepared to do mostly anything to make Apple Bloom happy, and by the sounds of things she and her friends had otherwise been having a pretty boring day, what with the weather.

With the final pot placed back in its cupboard, Applejack, sans hat, found herself looking at the family photographs they had stuck on a board on the back wall. There were scenes from every period of her life here: she and Big Macintosh playing together as foals, laughing their heads off at everything and nothing; the two of them again, snuggled side-by-side under a blanket and looking at the sunset together when they thought nopony was watching; and finally a shot from only a few months ago, with the two of them standing proudly behind Apple Bloom at her last birthday, just as she blew out the candles. Applejack smiled a sad little smile, touching the faces of Big Macintosh and Apple Bloom with her hoof, before she closed her eyes for a moment as she, too, wiped a single tear from her face.

Applejack thought about her life. In her (still quite short) years she had been through an awful lot. She had lost a great deal, and gained (if she was honest with herself, which wasn’t difficult) a great deal more, one way or another. She had a wonderful family, and the best of friends. She had helped save the whole of Equestria from a number of huge disasters, and had been personally responsible for saving Ponyville from a number of more minor incidents over the years, for which she was universally loved. All in all, she had a good life. A very good life. A very, very…

And yet.

And yet she still wished, wished with all her being, that some things had happened differently. She wished that certain things had happened sooner, that others had waited a few years, and one thing in particular she wished had never happened. She regretted every day she had not shared with her parents, every happy moment, but especially that they had missed Apple Bloom growing up. They had hardly even met her before “The Accident”. They had hardly even met their own grand−

A gust of cold wind and the sound of the torrential rain outside quickly brought Applejack back to the present, and she turned around to see a dripping wet Apple Bloom closing the outside door behind her.

“Apple Bloom! Sugar cube, you’re all wet!”

“Ah n-n-n-noticed….” she replied, shivering from head to tail.

“Stay there, honey, Ah’ll getcha a nice warm towel!” Applejack ran upstairs, and within seconds returned with a towel bigger than Apple Bloom herself.

“Whoa!” cried Apple Bloom as she was promptly scooped up by the older Apple, who sat on a chair and began towelling off her younger relation.

“Applejack!” Apple Bloom giggled, kicking her legs in the air. “Stop it, that tickles!”

“But you look just like a baby, all wrapped up like that!” laughed Applejack in reply. “An’ you always loved bein’ tickled when you were a baby! Coochie-coo!” The two Apples enjoyed the moment they spent together, and when Apple Bloom was finally granted mercy the two hugged tenderly. When she was again set down on her hooves, the youngest member of the Apple clan slowly walked to the door to the rest of the house, turning round once she reached it.

“Applejack,” she said quietly, “thanks for being my Mom all these years, big sis.” She smiled and went upstairs.

For a moment, Applejack was happy, happier than she had ever been before, and a beautiful smile spread across her beautiful face. But in an instant it was gone, replaced as quickly as it came with an unbearable, soul-crushing sadness. The normally strong and emotionally stable pony quickly found her vision become blurry with tears as she began to tremble uncontrollably. Just before she started wailing, she forced herself out of her chair and quickly ran out of the house, seeking solace with the one pony who could truly understand her feelings.