• Published 31st Dec 2016
  • 1,338 Views, 20 Comments

All the Queen's Horses - Bluespectre



How far would a father go to protect his only daughter? When the echoes of war have faded, when the scars of battle have healed, what truly matters more than family.

  • ...
1
 20
 1,338

Chapter Sixteen - Chalkboards and Cocoa

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

CHALKBOARDS AND COCOA

“There’s definitely something here, Spike.” Twilight adjusted her spectacles and made a note on the scroll beside her, “It’s just out of view, I can’t see it yet but I know it’s close.”

Spike nodded, passing the lavender unicorn another plate of biscuits. She was on her second plate already and had barely slept since this whole business started. He’d begun to worry about her too, but unfortunately this state of affairs was nothing new; once Twi started off on one of her ‘missions of discovery’ there was no stopping the inquisitive mare. Good grief, they’d even jumped on a train to the palace in the middle of the night just to search the library there! What a time to go too; the capital city had been absolutely jammed with ponies who’d gathered for the fireworks festival, and if there was one thing Spike hated, it was crowds. He’d hadn’t even had a chance to watch the colourful displays before Twilight had bustled them into the library. He cleared away the remnants of Twilights latest snacking and looked up at her in concern, “Twi? Come on, you need to get some sleep. You’ve been up for hours.”

Lost in her own world, the engrossed mare ignored him. “It has to have something to do with the inversion matrices of the spell framework” she muttered. Sipping her cocoa, Twilight carelessly dripped some of the sweet chocolatey drink onto her coat completely unnoticed, “Wood Finch’s Hypothesis states that the flow of a spell can be focussed to a point where it can be woven into another contradicting spell frame, but...” She sat back and took off her spectacles, rubbing her bloodshot eyes, “I can’t see it! Why?”

Spike took his friend’s hoof in his claw, “Twi?”

Twilight blinked in surprise and turned her bloodshot eyes on the small dragon, “Spike? Are you still up?”

Spike sighed wearily, “Twi, you’re going to make yourself sick if you keep up like this, and I hate to say it, but you’re so tired you’re beginning to make mistakes.”

“Mistakes?!” Twilight jumped to her hooves, “How can...” She stared at the book and closed her eyes, “Gah! Spike! Why didn’t you tell me it was upside down?!”

“I tried, Twi, but when you focus on something as much as you have been your ears apparently switch off.” He passed her a biscuit, “Here, you may as well have the last one. You’ve eaten two packets already.”

“Two…? Oh...” Twilight sank to her hooves, “I suppose you’re right, I can always pick up where we left off in the morning.”

Spike rolled his eyes as he collected the plates and cups, “It is morning.” He motioned towards the curtains, “In case you’d forgotten, your bed’s up there.”

Twilight clucked her tongue irritably at Spike’s cheeky tone. She knew in her heart how much he truly cared about her, perhaps as much as her own parents in some ways, and maybe even the princess. Sometimes she wondered if the small scaled creature saw her as a surrogate mother figure, one he had to protect in his peculiar dragon way. Whatever… all she wanted now was to shake off this horrible feeling of fatigue and lethargy that was making her hooves as heavy as lead weights and her eyes as dry as old bones. She sighed; bones…

It was lovely and warm here in the sunshine, and the cool breeze wafting through the open window kept the temperature absolutely perfect. The way it tickled her muzzle was quite pleasant too, although it did feel a little colder than she’d expected – it was still autumn, wasn’t it? Something soft and cold landed on her nose, quickly melting to water with her body heat. Twilight sat up in surprise as her eyes took in the sight of her familiar bed, the warm covers, and the icy mountain range surrounding it. She blinked in confusion and rubbed her muzzle; she didn’t dream like this very often, but when she did It tended to be more… science based. This was a little too abstract for her tastes, although she had to admit it was really quite beautiful. It was especially fascinating how the sunlight this high up was so intense with the lack of clouds and the way the blue of the sky appeared that little bit deeper in hue than it appeared at lower altitudes. Rainbow Dash was the weather expert of course, and… well, perhaps the use of the word ‘expert’ was a little generous, but she could see for herself now just why the pastel blue pegasus was so passionate about flying. It was a sight that showcased all the majesty of nature, of Equestria, and the light of the princess.

“A little bright for our tastes, although a sight few would have the opportunity to see without wings, Twilight Sparkle.”

Twilight smiled at the familiar voice. “Princess Luna” she said quietly, “I don’t see you in my dreams very often.”

The mare of the dreamworld raised a perfectly manicured eyebrow, “We do not believe there are many ponies who would appreciate having their dreams spied upon.” She stretched her wings and resettled them by her side, “Times have changed, as we are sure thyself is more than well aware.”

“Since you returned?” Twilight asked.

Luna shrugged demurely, “Partly.” She looked around her slowly, “It has been a long time since we were last here. It used to be such a wondrous land, and holds for us the memories of happier times that… shall never be again.” She smiled sadly, “Such are dreams. Even for us.”

Twilight had the impression she was treading on very treacherous ground all of sudden. She changed tack, “Your Majesty, what is this place? Where are we?”

“Ah, of course, you would never have seen it would you? Not as you know it now.” Luna’s horn glowed, the alicorn floating up higher into the air as her magic flowed out around her, changing the substance of the dream world to one that made Twilight shiver involuntarily. “Here,” the midnight coated mare said in her familiar regal tone, “now dost thou see?”

Twilight stared out at the scene below them. It was the same mountains, but now they were wreathed in cloud and her horn itched furiously. This was no mere natural phenomenon, this had been wrought with magic, powerful magic, and one which had fused the worlds natural forces with thaumaturgical energies to create what she could only think of as a barrier of some kind. And then, it came to her…

“You know where we are now, dost thou not?” Luna asked.

Twilight closed her eyes and nodded. She’d never been here, but she knew of it from the books buried in the deepest parts of the palace library that she’d managed to read on occasion. The books had been mostly anecdotal, with few bearing much in the way of eye witness accounts, but Starswirl’s diaries had spoken of this place and the events here had been instrumental in driving a wedge between him and Celestia. And then of course, there was… him... “This is the home of the wendigo” Twilight said quietly.

Luna smiled, her azure eyes twinkling in the sunlight, “Was” she replied, “Now it is home only to ghosts and memories. It is a tomb, Twilight Sparkle, and one that our sister does not wish anypony to see.” She shook her head slowly, “And for good reason.”

“It’s dangerous.” Twilight answered.

Luna nodded.

“This is where the last battle was fought” Twilight said, partly to herself, “This is where the lord of the wendigo fell, and his tribe was...”

“Annihilated” Luna finished for her, “A deed that our sister has never forgiven herself for, even after all these years.”

Twilight turned to face her, “But it was war, wasn’t it? The wendigo fought against Equestria and the princess. They fought for-”

“Nightmare Moon?” Luna sighed, “Yes, they did.” She looked down at the broiling clouds below them, “They were different times, Twilight, very different times. The alicorn princess of the sun you see today is not the same as she was then. She was younger, with a spirit that burned as brightly as the sun she represents. Even I, her younger sister, have had a lot of… growing up to do since then.” Luna laughed bitterly, “Life can be a cruel and merciless tutor, can it not?”

Twilight frowned, “There must be some reason why I’m here” she said curiously, “some reason, some link to my research.”

Luna stretched her wings, “Only you can answer that question, Twilight Sparkle. But all you will find here are the bones of the dead.”

“Bones...” Twilight squeezed her eyes shut, “Why do I keep thinking about bones?” She turned back to the princess. “Princess Luna, do you-” She blinked; the princess has already gone. “Wonderful” Twilight snorted, “Why is it that every time I get close to something it just darts away and-” She froze, “Dart… bones...” She gave herself a shake as the answer appeared before her as clear as the sky itself, “Of course! That’s it! Why didn’t I realise this sooner?!”

Spike groaned as Twilight leaped down from the bed, throwing the covers off in her headlong rush down the stairs, “Spike? SPIKE!”

The little dragon pulled the duvet off his head, “Coming, your majesty...”

“Where is it? WHERE?!”

A shower of books flew past Spikes muzzle as he followed Twilight down the stairs to the main library, “Where’s what?” he asked clucking his tongue at the excited mare’s antics, “If you calm down and tell me, I’ll be able to-”

Alecia Dart’s Allegories!” Twilight shouted, “I know I’ve got a copy here somewhere!”

“You mean the one you asked me to give to the charity shop because it was full of fairy stories?” Spike said, “That book?”

Twilight froze, her eyes going wide in horror, “Oh, no… no, you didn’t throw it out. You didn’t throw it out Spike!”

Spike rolled his eyes, “Actually, no, I didn’t.” He jerked a thumb over his shoulder, “I put it in the pile with all the other books you think are rubbish and then decide to keep.” He wandered over to the door to the cellar, “Just a minute...”

Twilight paced back and forth, “This has to be it, it has to be. Dreams, bones, wendigo… there’s some connection and I know it’s there. Just a little longer, I just need that key to the lock and I’ll be able to decipher all the clues.”

“You know, ponies might be a little concerned if they knew you talked to yourself like that.” Spike handed her the large green covered book, “Don’t you think you’re overworking yourself lately? You need some time off Twi, maybe a holiday? I’ve heard of this place called ‘Smiling Borders’ that sounds like a wonderful place where-”

“Not now Spike!” Twilight dropped the book onto the lectern and began searching through it desperately.

“Huh!” Spike clucked his tongue noisily, “Hot springs, forest trails, and the beauty of nature. But no, we have to stay here and read musty old books about musty old things and-” He looked round at the big eyes staring back at him, “Fine… I’ll get the cocoa.”

Twilight jammed her spectacles on her muzzle and began to look for the passage she knew was in here. It had made so little sense to her at the time, but now it seemed to hold the answers she sought. Of course, it could all be in her head and her memory of this could be misleading to say the least. After all, this sort of book was… well, vague to say the least. She turned the page and closed her eyes, taking up her quill. This was it…

BONES

Amongst the snow capped mountains of a world that knows no words nor language, those who fell upon the ground of war’s mercy sleep forever beneath the clouds of deception. Long was the reign of the one lord and much the love his people held, only to spill beneath the hooves of the golden light.

Fast as the wind of the feathers of eternity, wrought by the steel and fire of death, the few, oh the fortunate few, fled the arrow, sword and axe. Foals and old, young and strong, weak with fear and fleet with the killer’s shadows at their hooves. Run...run...run…

To a home where none had been and few would go, to memory they would become, to leave nought but a memory of the history of an age. The prophecy calls the one, bringer of the snow, bringer of the light, bringer of the divergent end. True or false? Prophet or death bearer?

Fate’s loom chooses it’s thread.

Spike rolled his eyes, “Anything?”

Twilight sat back on her haunches, shaking her head, “I… don’t know.”

The little dragon leaned forward, peering at the page, “Either all ancient ponies were round the bend, or they liked to talk in riddles.” He chuckled, “I’ll bet this was a best seller! ‘Don’t have any nightmares, kids’!”

Twilight clucked her tongue, “You’re not helping, Spike.”

Spike shrugged, “Nah, not really. I like a good romantic comedy or thriller personally. I just can’t take stuff like this seriously. I mean, it’s like the author is talking about something that was important but can’t say what it is, you know? It’s like they were worried in case somepony actually found out who or what-”

That’s it!” Twilight exclaimed and suddenly jumped to her hooves, “Spike, you’re a genius!”

“I am?” Spike frowned and munched another biscuit down, “Hey, I suppose I am! Um… a genius in what?”

Twilight passed him a piece of chalk, “Right, here, ready?”

Spike trotted over to the blackboard, “Ready, here!”

Twilight nodded to herself, “’Amongst the snow capped mountains of a world that knows no words nor language, those who fell upon the ground of war’s mercy sleep forever beneath the clouds of deception.’ That must refer to where the last battle was fought in the mountains!” She moved on, “’Long was the reign of the one lord and much the love his people held, only to spill beneath the hooves of the golden light.’ That refers to the lord of the wendigo, Maroc, the lord of the four winds tribe.” Twilight ran her hoof down the page, muttering under her breath, “The next part talks about the battle and how the wendigo tried to flee, but it’s this part here: ‘To a home where none had been and few would go, to memory they would become, to leave nought but a memory of the history of an age. The prophecy calls the one, bringer of the snow, bringer of the light, bringer of the divergent end. True or false? Prophet or death bearer?’”

“You think that means something?” Spike asked, “Like some of them escaped?”

Twilight nodded, “I think they did.” She sipped her cocoa thoughtfully, “But ‘the prophecy calls the one’ is what’s troubling me.” She hurried over to her notes and activated the spell matrix she’d uncovered from the diary. Twilight frowned in thought, desperately trying to make sense of the elusive truth that danced tantalising on the edge of her understanding. It had to be something that… “Oh, no… Spike… I know what this is.”

Spike blinked in surprise and hurried over, “You do?”

Twilight’s ears twitched, “It’s a drawing spell, and a powerful one… very powerful.” She looked round at the little dragon, the green glow of magic illuminating her face, “Silver is in terrible danger.”

********************

The two friends ran full tilt down the cobbled street, dodging startled onlookers as they went. “Where are we going?” Spike shouted.

“Spoon Manor!” Twilight called back, “We have to speak to Silver Spoon’s family.”

They careered around a corner and past the startled stallion quietly reading the newspaper by his taxi before leaping inside. “Spoon Manor!” Twilight yelled, “QUICKLY!”

In seconds, the taxi was on its way, rumbling along the streets of Ponyville before turning onto the main road which lead out towards the surrounding countryside and their destination. Mercifully there was little traffic about today and they were making good headway. For Twilight however, her heart was pounding fit to burst and she fidgeted incessantly.

“Twi, will you calm down and talk to me?” Spike put his claw on Twilights leg concernedly, “Snap out of it!”

“Huh? Oh!” Twilight gave herself a shake but couldn’t do anything to stop the tingling in her hooves. She closed her eyes and took a shaky breath, “I’ll try, Spike, promise.”

The little dragon nodded and sank back into his seat, “So, what is a drawing spell?”

Twilight took another calming breath, “It’s a spell that is used to encourage somepony to do something, and in some cases even compel them to do whatever it is dependent upon the strength of the incantational components.”

“So it’s variable?” Spike asked.

Twilight nodded, “It is, but we’ve got a problem. The strength of this spell has weakened over time. By my estimations and when one takes into account the time period we know Golden Spoon was alive, we can put this squarely back to the time of the war with the Legion and Nightmare Moon.”

“But...” Spike scratched his muzzle, “You said It’s degraded, right? I mean, Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara went home perfectly fine without any ill effects. So what’s all the rushing about for, any why did we need all this gear?” Spike motioned to the large packs they’d brought with them.

“Because she said there were more of them!” Twilight said animatedly, “Her father has a whole
library!”

Spike kept his voice neutral to try and counterbalance his friends obvious anxiety, “This diary was given to her by Apple Bloom, right?”

Twilight nodded, “That’s not surprising, really. A.J and her family have kept records from further back than anypony I know other than the princess. It wouldn’t be a stretch of the imagination to believe that at least one of her ancestors was acquainted with the Colonel.”

“What, and you think it was given as a keepsake?” Spike asked.

Twilight shrugged, “Who can say? When we have the time I intend to look into the Apple family tree and see for myself. For now though, we have to make sure Silver and her family are safe.”

“I don’t understand what -” Spike sat up suddenly, “Careful!

A young mare walking at the side of the road suddenly stumbled and dropped her suitcase which fell right into the path of the oncoming taxi. Fortunately the driver’s reflexes were well tuned and he swerved to one side, narrowly avoiding the startled mare.

“Cabby, stop, please!” Twilight leaned towards the driver’s compartment and the taxi slowed to a halt.

Sat in a heap of neat brown skirts and sporting a wide woven straw hat, the mare huffed noisily as she hauled her heavy suitcase out of the gutter and onto the verge. Judging by the dark shadows beneath her eyes, she was utterly exhausted.

“Miss! MISS! Are you alright? You’re not hurt are you? I’m so sorry!” Twilight lifted a hoof in alarm, “Spike, help her up, wait – no, make sure she-”

The mare clucked her tongue and sat down on her suitcase, “Will you stop fussing over me!” she snapped. The pale blue creature took off her hat and frowned, “Look, it’s nothing, okay? I’m just a little tired, that’s all.”

“You’re sure you’re alright though?” Twilight asked.

The mare closed her eyes and sighed, “I’m...” She groaned, “Ma’am, I’m a little tired and a little grumpy after my journey, that’s all. Forgive me, I didn’t mean to snap at you.” She tried a weak smile, “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I must be on my-”

“Where are you going?” Spike interrupted, “Maybe we can give you a lift?”

The blue mare looked up into the large purple eyes of the unicorn who was nodding enthusiastically beside the tiny dragon and laughed, “Ah, my carriage awaits, eh? Hell, why not?” She stood up and nodded, “Thank you, good travellers.” She bobbed her head, “My name is Blue Rinse, Rinse to my friends. I work as a maid at Spoon Manor, it’s just up the road here about a mile or so.”

“Spoon Manor?!” Twilight’s eyes went wide, “That’s where we’re going!”

With the aid of the cabby, Spike helped shove the last of the maid’s cases into the luggage rack and climbed back in as they began rumbling off down the road once more. “Thanks for that,” Rinse said breathing a sigh of relief, “Looks like fate gave a break for once. The goddesses know I could do with one!” She chuckled, “So, do you have an appointment with Lady Spoon? Sebastian should be about, but if not I can always make the necessary introductions.”

“We’re going to see Silver Spoon” Spike announced. He stuck his head out of the taxi window and stared up the road, the mares forgotten as he watched a flight of bluebirds passing overhead. He wished he had wings...

“Um… Silver Spoon?” Rinse looked a little perplexed as she refocussed on Twilight, “Are you a new home tutor?”

“Home tutor?” Twilight shook her head, “No, I’m a researcher… I suppose.”

The blue mare’s eyebrows shot up, “You suppose?”

Pulling his head back inside, Spike held up a claw, “It’s complicated, but she is the princesses student you know.”

“Oh!” Rinse’s ears perked up, “The princess? Then, why are you here, ma’am, If I may be so bold?”

Twilight chuckled, “Oh, just call me Twilight, Rinse, please. There’s no need to be so formal.”

Rinse nodded, “Of course, Twilight. So, has this something to do with the sinking of the Queen of Waters then?”

Twilight shook her head, “No. At least, I don’t think so.” She scratched her muzzle, “Lord Spoon, Silver’s father, was on that ship wasn’t he?”

Rinse nodded, “He was, but he was rescued thank the goddesses. The young miss adores him so much I don’t know what she’d do without him. Not that she doesn’t love her mama of course, but some fillies… well, they can be real daddies girls!”

“He was rescued?” Twilight glanced at Spike and then back to Rinse, “Rinse… he wasn’t on the list of survivors in the booking office. He was listed as...” she swallowed, “lost at sea.”

Rinse rolled her eyes, “Well that goes to show just how wrong reporters can be, doesn’t it?” She clucked her tongue, “He was picked up by a sky chariot.”

Spike raised an eyebrow, “How do you know?”

“I...” Rinse shrugged off the question, “One of the survivors told me.”

Twilight smiled, “Well, all I can say is thank goodness for that! Poor Silver must have been beside herself, and poor Lady Spoon too.”

After a few minutes the taxi began to slow, “We’ll have to stop here, Miss” the driver called back over his shoulder, “We’re being flagged down.”

Up ahead at the large gated entry to the manor’s drive were several black painted chariots and carriages marked with a golden circle and the entwined letters, ‘E.W.D’. Several official looking types were stood beside them talking whilst a pony in a long coat bedecked with shining gold buttons and matching hat walked up to the side of the taxi. “State your name and business.”

“Twilight Sparkle, Spike and Blue Rinse” Twilight said politely, “We’re here on business. May I ask what is going on here please, officer?”

The watchstallion shook his head, “Can’t say, Miss Sparkle. I suggest you turn around and go home while we conduct our business.”

Rinse leaned down, “Officer, this is my home as well as my place of work. Perhaps I can be of assistance?”

The watchstallion looked over his shoulder before turning back to her, “I’ll check with the inspector. Wait here.”

Spike rolled his eyes, “Has a way with words, doesn’t he?”

“Spike he’s an officer of the law, he’s not meant to be friendly.” Twilight huffed and stared down the side of the taxi to the ponies talking further along the driveway, “I wonder why are the watch are here? What’s going on?”

Rinse said nothing, but her eyes never left the figure of the officer as he talked to his colleagues.

A few moments later the watchstallion returned, “The inspector says you can go in now, but please ensure you remain available for any questions.”

“Of course.” Rinse bobbed her head. She turned to the others “Come on, I’ll show you the way.”

Spike bringing up the rear, Twilight and Rinse trotted up the last few yards of the gravel driveway and along the side path that lead to the kitchen door. It was open, with the gardener sat outside smoking his long stemmed pipe.

“Crisps?”

The stallion nearly choked, “R… RINSE?! Oh, goddesses!” Twilight stepped back in embarrassment as the charcoal coated stallion leaped from his chair and barreled into the maid, “Oh, Rinse...”

The blue mare gave the fellow a hug and then pointedly kept him at forelegs length, “What’s going on, Crisps, why are the watch here?”

“It’s the young miss” The gardener replied. He shook his head as if not believing his own words, “After we received word Lord Runcy was… gone, she… I mean...” his words faded away, choked in tears.

Rinse peered inside the gloom of the kitchen and took in the forlorn sight of a pastel yellow and white mare in a white pinny, huddled over a mixing bowl, now no more than a hopeless mess of random ingredients. Covered in flower and butter, Mrs Cream stared up at Rinse with her bright green eyes, “Rinse?”

Rinse nodded, “Hello, Choux. I’m home.” The cook dropped her spoon and hauled herself from the stool. She was unsteady and reeked of brandy. “Oh, Choux, what have you done to yourself...” Rinse whispered. She took the blubbering, sticky mess in her forelegs and gave her a hug, “There, there, don’t worry now… tell me all about it.”

Mrs Cream’s face was stained with tears, her eyes bloodshot and sore. In a creaking and agonised voice she wiped her muzzle and motioned towards a letter on the table. Rinse picked it up and read:

Dearest Mama,

I beg you to forgive me for writing this letter in such haste. I have determined, with the grace of goddesses, to embark upon on a journey to find papa and bring him safely home to us. I hope you will not be angry to discover that I have removed some provisions from the pantry for my journey as well as some of my savings for travelling expenses. I assure you most wholeheartedly, that I shall return as soon as I have found papa. Until then, I pray that you keep yourself warm and safe.

I remain, as always, your loving daughter,

Silver

Twilight took the note from Rinse’s unresisting hooves and stared down at Spike. His eyes said it all: he knew what this meant too. She turned to Rinse, “Rinse, I know you’ve only just met us, but I assure you we may be able to help.”

The blue mare shook her head, “I don’t understand.” She looked back at Mrs Cream, “Lord Runcy isn’t back home yet?”

Mrs Cream shook her head, showering flour and sugar like raindrops around her.

Rinse looked about the kitchen in confusion as if expecting Lord Spoon to appear at any moment, and then, slowly, she turned to face Twilight, “If you can do something, Miss Sparkle, I suggest you do it.” She gave herself a shake, “I’m going to get changed.” Rinse turned to the figure by the door, “Crisps! Get yourself in here and see to Mrs Cream will you? Come on, shake a leg!”

Twilight caught the conveyed look in her eye and trotted from the room, secretly relieved to be away from the distressing atmosphere in the kitchen. By the looks of it, most of the watch had been and gone anyway. Only the inspector and one of the watch remained in the lobby. He watched her curiously as she approached. “And you are?” he asked pointedly.

“Twilight Sparkle, sir.”

The officer raised an eyebrow, “Ah. The princess’s protege, are you not?”

Twilight nodded, “I’m her student, sir.”

“I see” the inspector frowned, “Well, if you’re here for the young lady of the house I’m afraid you’ll be disappointed, Miss Sparkle. I expect you have already heard the news?”

Twilight nodded, “Yes, sir. I understand that Silver Spoon is missing?”

The inspector nodded, “Indeed.”

Twilight raised an eyebrow, “What can you tell us so far?”

“What can…?” The inspector balked, “I don’t have to tell you anything!” He gave himself a shake and adjusted his hat, “This is an official Equestrian Watch Department investigation, Miss Sparkle, not some murder mystery for excitable young mares!”

Twilight’s mane bristled, “How dare you, sir! I am not an excitable young mare!”

The inspector nickered under his breath, “They why are you here? Do you have anything useful to contribute, or are you just sight seeing?”

Twilight could feel her hackles going up at the attitude of the rude stallion. “I have plenty to contribute, ‘inspector’, so why don’t you go off and ‘inspect’ something while I find out what really happened, eh?”

The watch officer’s face suddenly flushed a startlingly similar shade to Twilight’s coat, “WHY YOU!”

“AHEM!” A dark coated stallion in a severe and especially archaic design of suit appeared at the top of the stairs. By his heavy tone of voice and the way he was staring down his muzzle at the ponies in the lobby, he was not expecting any objection, “If you ponies would be so kind as to keep the noise to a respectable level? Her ladyship is trying to sleep.”

The inspector shot Twilight a look of cold fury as his voice dropped to a menacing hiss, “We’re done here anyway, Miss Sparkle, so you can go off and play your little magic games to your heart’s content. But I warn you, tampering with evidence or failing to report anything that may be pertinent to an official investigation is a criminal offence. Whether or not you are personally acquainted with Her Majesty. Understand?”

“Perfectly” Twilight smiled happily, “Now, if you’ll excuse us, inspector?”

The watchstallion said nothing, but Twilight could feel his gaze burning into her as she trotted into the study. Behind her, Spike shut the door with a resounding click, “Great galloping alicorns, Twi, did you really need to wind him up like that?!” The little dragon waved his arms in the air in alarm, “He’s a watch pony, he’s supposed to be one of the good guys!”

“Well then, he shouldn’t have been so rude should he?” Twilight sniffed and trotted over to the centre of the large rug, “Here, I think.” She quickly set about erecting the various pieces of apparatus and detection devices, along with several portable chalk boards and scrolls. Perched on her muzzle, the young unicorn’s spectacles gleamed, “You know Spike, I have a good mind to report that inspector. I didn’t like his tone at all. I wonder if the princess knows what sort of ponies are representing her these days. Honestly, I don’t know what Equestria’s coming to.”

“Turning young mares into old maids, I heard” Spike muttered. He rolled his eyes and bent back to the task of helping with the larger pieces while Twilight fussed with the finer tuning.

“Did you say something, Spike?” Twilight asked.

“Just wondering whether that old girl in the painting’s Golden Spoon” Spike replied quickly, “All the armour and that is a bit of a hint, don’t you think?”

“Silver Spoon has her eyes” Twilight remarked. She strung one of the wires of the focusing frame to the support and checked it for tension. Satisfied, she gave her shoulders as stretch and looked about the room. “Wow. Now this is some private collection” she whistled.

Spike nodded, “Daddy Spoon sure likes books. Almost as much as you, Twi.”

“Almost.” Twilight smiled, “Now, let’s-”

The door opened.

“Twilight?” It was Rinse, dressed in what looked to be a long black jacket with equipment pockets and other items that made Twilight’s eyes widen in surprise.

“Rinse?!” Twilight gave herself a shake. It was quite the change from the modestly dressed mare they’d met at the side of the road.

Rinse nodded, “Any news?”

“Um… er, no...” The lavender unicorn pulled herself back to her work, “We haven’t activated the
thaumaturgical alignment matrices yet.”

“Oh...” Rinse raised an eyebrow, “Is that important?”

Twilight nodded, “You haven’t studied Filter Mix’s Magical Convergency Theory and Application?

Rinse pulled a face and shrugged, “I must have missed that one. I was… busy learning other things, Miss Sparkle.” She raised an eyebrow, “Tell you what, you do what you’re doing and I’ll just sit here and keep mum, deal?”

Twilight nodded, a little unnerved by the strange maid. She nodded to Spike, “Ready?”

The little dragon nodded, “All set.”

Twilight took a breath, “Right, all we have to is apply a little magic to the matrix and we can-” A buzzing noise began to build in the room, reminiscent of an angry bee hive.

And it was getting louder…

“Miss Sparkle? Is it mean to do that?” Rinse leaned forward in alarm.

“Um… not usually.” Twilight began twisting some of the crystal nodes, sweeping her magic along the wires and sending streamers of intense colour across the large brass frame they’d erected, “There seems to be a rather more significant build up in the fluxation...”

The buzzing suddenly rose in pitch until it was absolutely deafening.

Turn it off!” Rinse shouted, “Goddesses above, my ears!

Spike rushed around the device and froze, slowly looking up at Twilight, “It’s stuck!

It can’t be!” Twilight shouted back over the din, “It doesn’t stick, there must be-

Twilight, look out!” Spike’s warning came just in time as the buzzing rose to a scream like the tortured souls of Tartarus escaping into the world and shaking the air in the room and the apparatus like toys. Twilight bellowed at Rinse, but the mare had already taken cover behind the settee as Twilight quickly threw up a shield spell. In a crackle and the sound of a thousand panes of glass shattering, the detection apparatus exploded. Fortunately for all of them, not least the Spoon family, Twilights shield had held… just.

Unfortunately for the once magnificently woven rug, it was too late.

“Well, that’s our bonus gone” Spike muttered as he re-emerged from behind cover. He adjusted the goggles on his eyes, “Bit pointless now, I guess.”

Twilight shook her head, “Fascinating… absolutely fascinating.”

“Fascinating?!” Rinses voice cried out, “You maniacs! What the hell was that all about? I thought you were going to help us find Silver, not blow up the bloody house!”

Twilight waved off the worried mare and reached into another of her boxes, “Overload” she said simply, “I’d suspected something like this may occur, but I had no idea just how concentrated the proactive thaumaturgical energy auras would be! Can you imagine?”

No?” Rinse readjusted her outfit and gave Twilight a wary look, “You… do know what you’re doing, right?”

Spike nodded, “Don’t worry, she’d the best.”

“I’d hate to see the worst.” Rinse snorted.

Twilight ignored her and carried on.

“What’s that thing?” Rinse asked.

A long black and silver wand fitted with a cable was connected to a rectangular pack on Twilight’s back. Spike gave her a nod, “You sure about this?”

“We’ve go to do something, Spike. Besides, I’ve adjusted everything down to the coarsest settings to allow for any more unexpected energy surges.” Twilight pulled a set of goggles over her eyes, “Okay I’m ready. Turn me on.”

Spike shot Rinse a warning glance, receiving a wide eyed innocent gaze in reply. He clucked his tongue and flicked the switch on Twilight’s pack which immediately burst into life with a riotous array of blinking multicoloured gems and accompanied by a shrieking whine that built and then mercifully faded into the background hum of the pack. Rinse watched in amazement as the lavender unicorn stared at a small display screen on the wand which she held up in her forehooves. “Background BTR readings...” Twilight muttered to herself as she moved, sweeping the wand back and forth, “Definitely something from the painting...” She peered up at what appeared to be a damaged section of the frame and held the wand towards it. The pack emitted a high pitched shriek in response. “Spiking readings from up there. Looks like there was something in that gap, but whatever it was it’s gone now.” She continued her sweep. “Usual background… books, artifacts…ah… here’s your monkey.

“Here’s your… what?” Rinse scrubbed her ears and looked to Spike for help. He just grinned.

“Readings are going off the chart, even with the sensitivity right down and the coarse crystals.” Twilight moved across the room, waving the wand over a long carved wooden box. The pack on her back was emitting a higher pitched whine now, and Twilight switched it off to allow her to investigate the contents of the box. Slowly, carefully, she lifted the lid and let out a low whistle, “Can you feel it, Rinse?”

The maid walked over, staring at the book and squinted, “My horn’s itching like crazy. What are they?” She peered at the small bound books as if looking at a cobra that was about to strike.

“Diaries” Twilight said quietly, “And all of them have been imbued with magic that has been attuned to a very specific frequency.” She took out another smaller device and held it up to the box, watching the dial as she nodded to herself, “I suppose I should say that the books, or rather diaries, apparently all contain a magical trigger, or ‘key’ that is tuned to a very specific set of parameters.”

“So whoever set this magic up has designed it to be activated or ‘triggered’ according to a specified set of these ‘parameters’?” Rinse’s eyes flashed dangerously, “What are they?”

“It’s a genetic code” Twilight said, consulting her device, “I saw it before when Silver brought one of the diaries to the library. But there’s something else at play here.” Her horn glowed and she closed her eyes, concentrating, “Yes… I thought so.” She put the lid down on the box and took out her note pad, “The magic held in these books is newer, perhaps only a few years old judging by the spell integrity.” She motioned to Rinse, “By comparison, the diary Silver received from her friend Applebloom was ancient.” Twilight tapped her quill against her lip in thought, “So in review, we have very similar spells, all contained in these diaries, but the ones here are years, not millennia old.” She made another note, “Curiouser and curiouser...”

Rinse nickered, irritated at Twilight’s apparent indecisiveness, “And this is leading us to the young miss, how…?”

Twilight unclipped the wand from her pack and nodded to Spike who obediently trotted over, reached up, and deftly flicked a cover open on her pack as he began swapping one of the crystals for another he’d had in his satchel. “Always be prepared” Twilight smiled. Carefully, she began to sweep the wand around the room once more.

“Are those diaries fakes?” Rinse asked.

Twilight shook her head, “Oh, no… they’re quite genuine.” She peered at the screen attached to her foreleg, “The draw spell is a new addition.”

“Did you say ‘draw spell’?” Rinse’s face darkened, “They were outlawed by the princess a-”

“-A thousand years ago?” Twilight finished for her, “Yes, they were.” She nodded to herself and trotted around the corner of one of the book cases and stopped by the alcove, “It would appear somepony has been resurrecting old spells – old spells that have drawn our young Miss Spoon to somepony, or somewhere, I can’t say.”

“You don’t know? The spell should have a focus or goal surely?” Rinse reasoned.

Twilight’s horn glowed, illuminating the alcove as she began running her hooves over the plaster work. Suddenly there was a click, and a section of the wall slid away to reveal a set of stone steps, “After I decoded the spell matrix of the diary we found her with originally, I determined that the trigger is Silver Spoon herself.” Twilight continued, “However the crafter of the spell was very… crafty.” She nodded towards the stairs, “Do you know where these lead?”

Rinse shook her head, “I’ve never seen them before!”

Twilight smiled distantly, “Let me tell you then, Miss Rinse, that the spell was left deliberately ‘incomplete’.” She flashed her horn around, trying to find some form of illumination as she talked, “I suspect that Silver herself, or more specifically her bloodline, carry the other part of the puzzle. The two halves, combined, make the whole, thus activating the spell.”

“That makes no sense!” Rinse hissed, “How in Equestria can whoever wrote that spell know that Silver Spoon was going to be the other half of this ‘puzzle’? And you still haven’t said where the spell was drawing her to.”

“Haven’t you been paying attention?” Twilight snorted. “Ah!” with a flick of her hoof, she tapped a copper pad on the side of the stone wall and magical lanterns burst into light illuminating their descent. “The ‘draw’ was inside Silver all along. It is a part of her, whatever it is. The spell merely activated it and sort of ‘filled in the blanks’. Silver Spoon herself did the rest.”

“Well I hope you know what you’re doing” Rinse grumbled, “But just in case...” She reached under her coat and checked something, “all set here.”

“Um...” Spike cleared his throat, “Miss Rinse?”

“Yeah?”

“Er… Since you’re a maid here, not that I’m not happy you’re with us of course, but shouldn’t you be, you know, helping with Lady Spoon? I mean, I don’t want to sound rude, but… you don’t seem very… er… ‘maidy’ somehow.”

Rinse clucked her tongue, “That’s because I’m not.” She kept close to Twilight, “Just shush, huh?”

Spike turned back to Twilight, following her down the steps into the unknown. Strange magical places weren’t uncommon when you’d spent enough time around unicorns, Twilight especially, but there was something about the Spoon family maid that had his scales tingling like they were they were on fire. Maybe it was the outfit she was wearing, or perhaps the way she’d seamlessly slipped from the persona of the household maid to an adventurer without so much as batting an eyelid. To him she hadn’t seemed particularly surprised by the hidden doorway, despite her exclamation. In all honesty, he simply didn’t trust the unusual young mare. Spike frowned in thought and slammed right into Twilight’s rump.

“Ouch!”

Twilight clucked her tongue, “Spike! Watch where you’re going!”

“Sorry, Twi, it was an ac- OH MY GODDESSES!” Spike’s eyes went as wide as saucers and he grabbed Twilight’s hind leg in fright, “Wh… what are they?!”

Row upon row of armoured knights and soldiers, warriors of another age, lined the walls standing silently to attention on their eternal vigil. Above them hung the banners, flags and pennants that had once snapped in the wind above the chaos, blood and death of the battlefield. Racks of weapons, still gleaming after all these centuries, waited just as they had back then. Now, they were sleeping. No… dozing, ready to leap up and take to the field once more in defence of the realm. Spike’s eyes took it all in, soaking in the silent, shining armour of the impossibly huge soldiers that-

“Come on Spike, it’s only armour, it can’t hurt you.” Twilight swung her wand back and forth, checking her leg mounted display. “On second thoughts, don’t touch anything. Anything, Spike, okay?”

Spike swallowed, but did as he was told and hurried along staying close to her side, “I thought you said they can’t hurt us!” he squeaked, “Is… is this place dangerous?”

“I don’t know that yet” Twilight replied. She tapped one of the crystals on the wand before checking her thaumaturgical radiation meter, “Some of these set of armour have residual L.T.R traces. Some more than others. Better if we don’t tempt fate and mess about with anything. Right,
Spike?”

“Hey! What are you suggesting?” Spike protested.

“Don’t touch anything!”

Spike snorted, “Okay! Celestia’s ears, you’d think after all this time you’d know me better than- ARGHH!”

Something grabbed his arm and hauled him into the middle of the room as if he were nothing but a sack of potatoes. Landing on his feet, Spike looked up into the large eyes of… “RINSE!”

The maid stared down at him, an unreadable expression on her face, “She said don’t touch anything!

“I wasn’t...” Spike turned to look at the set of oil black armour covered in spikes that had been set upon a mannequin that looked like something from a nightmare come to life. He swallowed, rubbing his claws on his chest nervously, “...oh… um… thanks. I think.”

Lost in her own world, Twilight walked on through the silent museum. Normally she would have been like a foal with two tails in a place like this; to be walking here, amongst so much history was a dream come true. All those banners, all that armour, the old weapons and equipment! Some of it she had never seen before. What formations did those banners belong to, who had worn that armour, whose side had they fought on? All these questions, all the research… so much cataloging that needed doing! The prospect of it bounced urgently against her consciousness, but Twilight was used to dealing with distractions no matter how tempting they were. Putting it to one side, she mentally packaged it up for later consideration when there was more time; right now she was trying to find a child, and one who had been taken by something that made every fibre of her being chilled to the bone. As much as she hated to admit it, magic sometimes had a ‘feel’ to it. It wasn’t scientific, nor was it particularly logical, it was simply a sensation that the crafter subconsciously wove into the spell leaving a faint essence of who they were behind. She hadn’t really sensed much from the diary Silver had brought with her, that was benign, almost… welcoming. The other diaries however… now they were a different matter. The sheer force of will and expectation of compliance of the spell contained within them, as similar as it was to that in the original diary, was almost overwhelming. To her, to an experienced magic user, it felt… malicious. Perhaps it was this strong because it was intended for earth ponies? She nodded to herself in thought; earth ponies had a natural resistance to magic, so what was potent to her was probably lessened to a greater degree for Silver Spoon. To the little filly it probably felt more like an inexplicable ‘urge’ to do something. Now that she thought about it though, why wasn’t her father affected by it? Was it his age? Silver was younger and potentially more vulnerable to magical influence… curious indeed. She motioned towards the maid, “Rinse? Have you seen those diaries before?”

The blue mare nodded, “Lord Runcy has been collecting them since before I started working here.”

“Where does he get them from?” Twilight asked.

Rinse paused, thinking, “They usually come by post. His friend, Lord Aura, sends them to him.”

“All of them?”

“No.” Rinse’s eyes narrowed slightly, “Some he’s found himself, but the majority are from Lord Aura.”

Twilight raised an eyebrow, “Where did Lord Aura find them?”

“I… I don’t know.” Rinse shook her head, “I didn’t pay much attention to them because-”

“Because they’re usually in a thaumaturgically sealed container?” Twilight finished for her, “Whoever designed that box made it to contain active spells.” She huffed, “But even a containment field couldn’t withstand the amount of concentrated spell power of that many of the diaries.” She raised an eyebrow, “I’m surprised you didn’t notice it yourself.”

Rinse balked, “Wait a minute, are you suggesting I had something to do with this?”

Twilight shook her head, “No...” She swept her meter around the room once more, “Hmm… if the magic was latent, then the box may well have disguised the spells true intent until it was activated, that is, read, by somepony who acted as the trigger.” She nodded to herself, “Of course… of course! Twilight you dummy!”

“Huh! There’s hope for all of us then” Rinse muttered.

The trio slipped through the museum, with Twilight heading them. The surreal glow from her equipment blinked in the museums light, adding to the already macabre surrounding. Suddenly, Twilight drew to a halt. “There’s something up ahead.”

“Up ahead?!” Spike took a step back, “I don’t like the sound of that!”

Rinse sniffed, giving Spike a grin, “A timid dragon, who’d have thought.”

“I am not timid!” Spike snapped. He folded his arms and snorted indignantly, “I’m just cautious that’s all. ‘Fools rush in where dragons fear to tre- Hey! Twi!” He dashed forward, following the rapidly disappearing hind quarters of the lavender unicorn.

Around the large stone supports, the museum opened into an open area, one with a massive red and gold banner above a burnished gold and silver set of armour. Spike’s eyes bulged, “What’s that!”

Twilight looked up from her meter and made a quick note in her pocket book, “Judging by the design on the war banner, I’d say this is the armour worn by Silver’s ancestor, Golden Spoon.” She shrugged, “Also, it’s the same armour she’s wearing in the painting.”

“It must be worth a fortune!” Spike breathed, “It’s… beautiful.”

“Getting a little covetous, Spike?” Rinse jibed, “Bit of a hoarding thing going on there?”

Swallowing, Spike snorted loudly, “I’ve leaned my lesson, thank you very much.” The nerve! Did she think that he’d steal the armour and hoard it like some greedy old mountain dragon? Cheeky creature! He turned back to- “Twi?”

The unicorn was behind the banner, her striped tail poking out comically, “In here, you two.”

Casting surprised glances at each other, Spike and Rinse lifted the banner aside and slipped into the concealed chamber where Twilight was waiting in silence. Rinse could do no more than stand and stare in amazement at the carved stone archway to nowhere and unconsciously reached up and rubbed her horn.

“Itchy?” Twilight nodded to herself, “Me too. There’s been a powerful magic field here recently. Very recently.” She lifted her meter and made a note in her book, “Looks like we have our answer for Silver Spoon’s disappearance, or part of it at any rate.”

“What… is that?” Rinse breathed.

“Don’t you know?” Twilight asked. She turned to face the blue mare, “The agency has these, doesn’t it?”

Silence fell in the room as the mares faced each other. Spike watched Rinse’s muscles tense, her eyes narrowing. “I don’t know what you’re talking about” she said levelly.

“Oh, I’m sure you don’t” Twilight replied calmly, “After all it’s perfectly normal for maids to carry focused magical energy pistols with them, right? I expect you never know when you’re going to encounter some really stubborn stains.”

“Funny” Rinse rumbled, “How did you know?”

“They give off a very particular energy signature” Twilight said calmly, “And you don’t spend as much time around the princess, your employer, as I do without learning a thing or two about the agency, Miss Rinse, if that is your real name?”

“Classified information, I’m afraid” the blue unicorn replied levelly.

“Of course.” Twilight smiled, “We’re both on the same side here, Rinse, but I think if we’re going to be able to find our missing filly, then we’re going to have to work together. Agreed?”

The blue mare’s expression was unreadable, “I cannot authorise that.”

“Oh, come on!” Twilight’s mane bristled, “You’ve been put here to keep an eye on the Spoon family. You just happen to ‘know’ that Lord Spoon was rescued when he hasn’t, and that equipment? You may as well have been walking around with a sign over your head with ‘Celestian Bureau of Investigation’ in six foot high letters.”

“Prone to a little exaggeration aren’t we?” Rinse snorted. Gradually relenting she sighed, “Fine! Listen, since you’re the princess’s pet I’ll meet you half way.” She gave herself a shake, “Yes, I’m from the agency, and yes, I was embedded into the Spoon family’s home to keep a check on the family. Any more than that, I can’t tell you.”

“Can’t or won’t?” Twilight asked.

“It doesn’t matter” Rinse snorted, “But what little I’ve told you so far would have me finished with the agency if it ever got out, so you’d better keep you mouth shut, missy, and that goes double for your little dragon too.”

“Hey, that’s not fair!” Spike sputtered in indignation, “I can keep a secret you know.”

“Forgive me if I find your assurances rather hollow” Rinse huffed, “I’ve been here years, years, and my cover’s blown by a filly and a dragonling I’d barely known an hour...” She groaned, “The chief’ll have my hide for this.”

“Not if they don’t know” Twilight remarked, “Besides, isn’t it better to utilise resources to their maximum potential to achieve a successful mission outcome?”

“Huh! Now you’re beginning to sound like the chief!” Rinse sank to her haunches and took a sip of water from her canteen, “So, can you get this thing working again or what?”

Twilight sighed. She’d expected the question, but it wasn’t as simple as switching it back on. The magical formulae imbued into the stonework was ancient, and most of the portals she’d seen had been inactive for generations. But she did have one advantage: Starswirl the Bearded,
Twilight’s guiding light in the often murky waters of magical theory, had left many of his treatise and theorums on portal magic in the palace library – and she’d read them all. Carefully, she moved the wand over the portal, making notes, checking her meter and nodding to herself. Eventually, the young unicorn took a step back, “Yes,” she smiled wryly, “I can do it.” She held a hoof out to spike who took out a fresh note pad and quill which Twilight floated out in her magic. “The portal is tuned to Silver’s unique magic harmonic signature.” She opened a small case. Inside was a single, long pale grey hair. “All we have to do,” Twilight said quietly, “is trick the portal into thinking we are Silver.”

“Is this going to take long?” Rinse asked, “The longer she’s out there on her own the more danger she could be in.”

“I don’t think it’ll take long,” Twilight replied. She adjusted her spectacles on her muzzle, “But if we don’t get it right we could end up being atomised.”

“No pressure then.” Rinse snorted.

Twilight laughed, “None whatsoever...”

***************************

“That was some ride, huh?” The small grey unicorn stretched his legs and bucked out, “Boy, I thought we’d really had it that time.”

Silver sat in the comfortable chair and stared up at the night sky. It was beautiful, even if it was in her own head. Still, it was a good approximation even if she did say so herself.

“Keeping shtum, huh?”

“Erin, I’m not in the mood.” Silver closed her eyes, “I just want to be left alone.”

The grey colt dropped onto the grass and began to roll, rubbing his back hard into the grassy hillside. “That’s half your problem you know,” he observed, snorting the loose grass from his nostrils, “You never want to talk to anypony. They’ll start calling you Silver no mates, you know.”

“I do to have ma- I mean friends!” Silver replied tartly, “There’s Di and the three girls: Scootaloo, Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and...”

“Not exactly an exhaustive list now is it?” Erin sniffed. The grey colt began scratching lazily at his ear like some bizarre talking dog, “You know you really need to expand your horizons a touch. Do you wonders that would.”

Silver closed her eyes and tried to let go of all the tension and anxiety that was burning through her veins. Lying here, in this world of her own construction, or was it Erin’s? Ha! Who knew any more? But… well, it didn’t really matter any more did it? She was so, so tired, and every time she closed her eyes all she could see was that filthy, stinking thing coming towards her and-

“Stop it.”

Silver opened her eyes and stared straight into Erin’s.

“You are stronger than this, Silver,” Erin said levelly, “You are a daughter of Golden Spoon, and what you did you need feel no shame for.” His eyes were like two huge golden coins, boring into her soul. Perhaps they were…

“I didn’t do anything,” Silver replied quietly, “It was Golden.”

“‘It was Golden’! Pah!” Erin barked out a laugh, “You think a memory can do that? You think a mere ghost of a thought can overcome an adversary ten times your size and strength? For the goddess’s sake, Silver, get a grip of yourself will you?”

“That’s easy for you to say,” the grey filly replied, “You’re a boy, you don’t understand what it’s like to be a filly. That… that monster was...”

“I know what he was going to do” Erin grumbled, “I’m not an idiot, and just because I’m a colt doesn’t mean I don’t have thoughts and feelings like you do, Silver. Have you ever considered that?”

She hadn’t. Not really. Silver shook her head sadly.

“Do you know what it’s like living up here, in this… ‘nothingness’?” Erin nickered, “Let me tell you, Miss Spoon, I have lived for countless lifetimes in both males and females. I have felt them die, I have felt them being born, I have felt… everything. And I mean everything!” He frowned, “I can tell you, being in the body of a mare who likes stallions, really likes stallions is not something I ever want to experience again, thank you very much.” He gave her a playful push, “So what I suppose I’m trying to say here is don’t you ever go selling yourself short, my earth pony filly. You saved not only yourself, but your friend, that mental mare with the caravan, and most importantly of all… me!”

Silver couldn’t help but raise a smile.

“There ya go! Knew you had it in you.” Erin gave a little jump and neighed out into the darkness, “Hey, can you feel it? We’re getting nearer.”

“You think?” Silver asked, “That… escape from the diamond dogs took us off into the forest, but I don’t know where we are now. I think I passed out.”

“Uh-huh.” Erin chuckled, “Welcome to the inside of your head Miss Spoon. Don’t worry though, your pink pal gave you one of the tears so you’ll be right as rain in no time.”

“Hmm...” The silver-grey filly took a sip of her drink and rolled onto her side, “I could get used to this.”

“You don’t want to,” Erin said quietly, “It’s not good, Silver. I’ve wished many times that I could simply just disappear from here. Every day is the same, every second, every minute, hour and year… all of it. In the end it’s all meaningless.” He flinched as a hoof gently touched his foreleg.

“Erin?” Silver smiled softly, “I missed one off the list earlier. You’re one of my friends.”

The colt chuckled, “Yeah. You know, maybe I’m the real ‘no mates’, then eh? Well… not many mates at any rate.” He paused and then looked up at her, “But I have a friend.”

Silver reached out and gave him a hug, “You do.”

The ponies stayed like that for a while before slowly they both lay down side by side on the cool grass. Normally so energetic, Erin was surprisingly quiet now, as though deep in thought. Silver simply enjoyed the peace and quiet, watching the stars twinkling high above. She’d always loved the night sky, just as much as the sun, and perhaps… maybe even a little more.

“Silver?”

“Hmm?”

Erin’s voice was as quiet and calm as a millpond, “Remember when you saw the wendigo in the memory?”

Silver let her mind drift. She could see the creature in the doorway as clear as day, “Yeah, I remember.”

“Weren’t you frightened?” Erin asked.

Silver shrugged, “I...” She thought for a moment and slowly realised “No… no, I wasn’t.”

“That’s… good.” Erin stretched out and groaned, “Good...”

A thought suddenly came to Silver. She couldn’t believe she hadn’t asked him before, “Erin? Can you change into a wendigo?”

The colt chuckled softly, “I can take on the appearance of one,” he replied kindly, “But I’d just look the same as the one you saw in the memory. He was in a sense, I suppose, me. Or I am a part of him… from beyond the grave! Ooooh!”

“Oh, stop it,” Silver muttered, “So, can you… you know, do it for me? Please?”

Erin huffed, “No.”

“Why not?” Silver asked. She rolled onto her side and looked over at him, “Does it hurt?”

“No… well, yes, actually it does, but that’s in the real world, not here.” Erin sighed, “I just… it… it reminds me of what I was, okay? It hurts just to think about it.”

Silver was crestfallen, “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to upset you.”

Erin smiled, “You haven’t upset me, I just… get moody sometimes I suppose. Being stuck inside somepony’s head for a thousand years will make anypony a bit cranky.” He took a breath and sighed it our slowly, “Silver? Does it matter to you, to see me like that?”

Silver shook her head, “Not really, I was just curious. I’ve never a met a wendigo in real life before. Most ponies think they’re stories to scare foals and cautionary tales for Hearthswarming.”

“Oh, that one!” Erin snorted, “Load of old bollocks. ‘Beware the evil wendigo’! He’s coming to get you, Ooooh!’”

The silver-grey filly smiled and gave Erin a nudge, “I don’t think you’re an evil wendigo, Erin. You’re nice.”

Erin blinked, flopping down onto the grass, “You wouldn’t have thought so when I was… whole.” He closed his eyes, “Wendigo are warriors, Silver. We thrive in war and battle, we dance the dance of blades in our hearts. When we fight, it is when a Wendigo is truly alive.” He snorted, “But after all this time, I can barely remember how it felt.”

“I… think I can understand, a little anyway.” Silver felt an odd stirring in her heart, “Golden seemed to ‘glow’ inside when she was fighting for something. I don’t know if it was just her drive, or will, or what, but like in the tunnels when I… did what I did… it felt… it felt good, Erin. I was scared, really scared, but I felt as though my senses and my body were as light as air and I was really ‘me’ somehow. It’s hard to explain.”

Erin sat up suddenly, “No. You explained it perfectly.” He gave himself a shake, “Right. Look, I know I’m just a memory and this isn’t, you know, real-real, but… you’re sure you want to see this?”

Silver nodded.

Erin hung his head, “I could do it in an instant, but I’ll show you how this happens ‘out there’.” Suddenly his cheeks flushed, “It’s… a little um, embarrassing.”

“Embarrasing?!” Silver fought back a laugh and tried desperately to keep a straight face, “For a warrior?” She’d never seen Erin so uncomfortable.

“Yes!” Erin hissed, “Around friends, changing to a wendigo is considered… well, rude, or… um… intimate.” His cheeks were now bright red, “So this is just for demonstration purposes, okay? There’s nothing… ‘dirty’ going on here.”

Silver chuckled, covering her mirth with a hoof, “Sure.”

“Look, if you’re just going to laugh about it then I’m not-”

Silver placed a hoof on his shoulder, “You’re my friend, Erin. You don’t have to if you don’t want to.”

“I know that!” Erin stomped a hoof, “It’s just… gah! Bloody mares! Fillies I mean! Oh… sod it all!” He walked away from her and took a deep breath, “Are we paying attention then? GOOD!”

Silver’s ears pricked up, her eyes focussing intently. Before her, the little grey colt began to slow his breathing and gradually, almost imperceptibly at first, his fur started to lighten. From its usual dark grey, Erin’s coat seamlessly morphed into a light shade, and eventually to a white that was a pure as the first fall of snow. Erin blinked, his eyes changing, altering from those big yellow orbs to two burning, blazing fires of bright ice blue. Living flame, burning and flickering in the night… blinked. The colt shook himself, and as he did so something began to move and shift just beneath the skin on his back. To Silver’s horror, a pair of bloodied and gore covered wings suddenly burst through from within. They weren’t wings like a pegasi’s either, no, these were almost reptilian, like a dragon’s. And they were white too, just like the rest of him. Erin snapped them out, shaking off the blood and settled them down by his side as the transformation continued.

Silver had to remind herself to breathe. Before her, Erin’s entire body seemed to elongate, his legs becoming slimmer, his muscles more defined. His tail and mane flushed from their usual black to a brilliant blue the same colour as his eyes, but his face… dear goddesses… Erin’ face became sleek, aquiline, and from the corners of his mouth, sharp teeth curled over his lips.

And it was done.

Well, you didn’t scream, so I suppose that’s a bonus” Erin said casually.

“Your voice...” Silver breathed, “It’s like the north wind, blowing through the mountains.”

Oh, that’s very poetic!” Erin chuckled, “I like that.” He shrugged, “Feels… strange to be like this again. In a weird way, I feel like I’m… home.

Silver shook her head, “Can I… touch you?”

I don’t bite,” Erin huffed, “But watch where you’re putting your hooves, you’re just a filly, Silver and I don’t want this getting any weirder than It already is.

“Weird?” Silver rolled her eyes, “Pervert.”

I am bloody well not!” Erin ruffled his wings, “If you’re going to call me names then I’ll just change back and-

“You look… wonderful,” Silver whispered, walking around him. “Like a ghost of Hearthswarming, or a spirit from the herd.”

Oh… mmm...” Erin’s cheeks flushed red, “thank you.

“Can you fly?” Silver asked.

Erin nodded, flexing his wings, “Of course, they’re not for decoration you know.

“And can you really make the winter come?” Silver asked enthusiastically, “You know, like in the stories?”

Erin rolled his eyes, “Why did I know you were going to ask that...” he sighed, “No!

“You have a horn!” Silver squeaked, giving a little jump, “You’re like an alicorn!”

Hmph!” Erin snorted, “Hardly! Just because a deer has four legs and a muzzle doesn’t mean it’s a pony.

“Do you… eat meat?” Silver asked, staring at his teeth, “These look like a dragon’s teeth.”

Have you ever even seen a dragon?!” Erin clucked his tongue, “I’ll have you know that my teeth are neat and trim, missy, not those whopping great tree trunks those scaly blundering monstrosities have. And yes, wendigo can eat meat, but usually they eat normal food just like any equestrian.” He nodded his head assuredly.

“You don’t suck the life out of your victims?” Silver asked, genuinely surprised.

My…!” Erin groaned. He was going to have to answer all of her questions like this, wasn’t he? And yet, as irritating as it felt on a superficial level, the young filly’s questions made him feel… oddly happy. Perhaps it was because of the way she was admiring him, and the words of
praise he hadn’t heard for such a long time, but… yeah… yeah, he did like it! Erin let out a breath, “Wendigo can take the life energy from a fallen opponent.” He lifted a diamond like hoof, “And before you ask, yes we can take it from a living one too, but it’s not done, okay?” He shuddered, “Even the thought of it!” Something grabbed his hoof.

“They’re… beautiful...” Silver stared at the hoof, her eyes wide in awe, “I wish I had hooves like yours.”

Your hooves are perfectly fine,” Erin replied tartly, “And wendigo hooves is for wendigo’s, so tough.” He sniffed haughtily, “But yes, I’ve always been especially proud of mine.

“Your mane and tail are gorgeous. I love the colour.”

Why… um… thank you.

Silver appeared beside his muzzle making him jump. “Do your eyes feel funny like that?”

Funny?!” Erin clucked his tongue, “They feel perfectly fine!

“But they’re like… little fires...” Silver slowly reached out.

Hey, gerroff!” Erin knocked the filly’s hoof away and pranced sideways, “How would you like it if I poked you in the eye! Bloody hell, Silver!

Silver blinked, her expression showing hurt. “I… I’m sorry, Erin, I just...”

Oh, goddess… fine!” Erin moved up to her and took her hoof, “Look, just… let me do it, okay? I don’t want to be booted in the eye!” Carefully, he took Silver’s hoof and guided it up his face. Closing his eyes he let her touch him, smell him, and…

Hey! Did you...did you just...lick me?!

Silver flushed bright red, “Just a little.”

Well don’t!” Erin stretched out his wings and gave them a hard downward thrust, “This just got very weird, Silver.” He paused, “Or I should say weirder!

Silver hung her head as her ears flopped sadly, “I’m sorry”

Erin huffed, “And so you should be! How would your parents react if they knew you went around licking strange wendigo?” He blinked, “And yes, I do know how stupid that sounds, but the point is still valid!

Silver tossed her mane, “I said I’m sorry.”

Well...yes. Yes, you did.” Erin sighed, “Okay, I’m going to change back now.

“WAIT!” Silver reared onto her hind legs, “Erin, please… don’t.”

Huh? Why not?

Silver walked up to him again, making him flinch, “Could you do something for me, please?”

Erin blinked, “I...what?

“Could you...let me fly on your back?”

FLY ON MY…! NO! NO WAY!” Erin let out a blast of sparkling white cloud, “I am not a … I’m...” He looked down into the large round purple eyes that felt like they could see straight into your soul. “I’m going to have to do this, aren’t I?” Silver said nothing. “And stop with the foal eyes, for the goddess’s sake!

Silver hung her head, “I know...”

No you don’t! Don’t try giving me a guilt trip for...” Erin paused and stared up at the sky. It truly was the perfect time for flying. He smiled and shook his head in resignation, “Go on, get on. Quick, before I change my mind.

In a flash, Silver was scrabbling up the sleek white back of the strange creature, and hung on with her little hooves digging into Erin’s neck. “Not so tight!” Erin hissed, “Bloody hell, girl, will you… oh, what’s the use?” He took a breath and gave his wings a stretch, “You all set back there?

Silver nodded, “Uh-huh.”

Erin peered back and saw the mouthful of mane, his mane, in Silver’s mouth. He groaned; what was it with these Spoon’s? They were all crazy! He pushed the thoughts from his mind and concentrated on channelling his magic, letting it flow through him, building it up in a white fog around his gleaming hooves. Carefully, he angled his wings, coiled back on his hind legs, and with a hard shove launched into the air. Behind his head, hanging on for all she was worth, the muffled whoops of delight from the little filly made his heart cry out at the world. Erin felt a rush of emotion take him and he closed his eyes as he banked across the sky. For the first time in a thousand years, he howled out into the night… the lonely cry of the wendigo.

Together the two flew across the dreamscape: banking, swooping and climbing, until Erin could sense the filly starting to tire. It was time to go home. Soon, back on the ground, the happy, sleepy Silver Spoon began to feel the world slowly slipping away from her. Inch by inch, almost imperceptibly changing, Erin and the dreamworld simply drained away. She knew what was happening now, and as frightening as it could be she knew what to expect at least. She squeezed her eyes shut and opened them to a pair of big blue eyes full of tears staring down at her. Normally she would have screamed, but in her exhausted and weakened state, she really didn’t care.

“Silv?”

“Hello, Di.” Silver leaned against the cushions and sighed, “Quite a night, eh?” She gave her eyes a rub – they were gritty and dry. Fortunately, the ‘pink menace’ as somepony had called her was there with a damp face cloth and a gentle hoof.

“At first I thought I wanted to go home” Di said quietly, dabbing her friends neck and face, “I was so frightened, but it was all I could think of.” She smiled, “And then I saw you. You were tall, Silv, as tall as Golden Spoon ever was.”

Silver chuckled, “I’m no taller than you, silly.”

“That’s not what I meant, and you know it” Diamond Tiara sniffed, “You were… magnificent. You walked tall, proud, and lifted your hooves up with confidence and strength.” She shook her head, “I wish I could be like that, but all I could do was run like a manticore was nipping at my tail.”

Silver rolled her eyes, “Honestly Di, I think you have an odd memory of what happened. I was absolutely terrified.”

“You didn’t show it,” Di replied. She reached down to the bucket of water and rinsed out the cloth.

“Would it have made any difference if I did?” Silver said, stretching her legs, “Di, you have your own strength, a strength that I wish I had in me.” She grinned, “One that doesn’t involve ‘disembodied voices from beyond the grave’!”

“Oh, stop!” Di chuckled. She reached out and gave her friend a hug, “Thank Celestia you’re safe. When you collapsed I remembered what you said to do, but all you did was sleep.”

Silver nodded, “Well, you saved my life, Di. If anypony should be walking tall right now, it’s you.”

“Bah! What a load of old twaddle.” Diamond Tiara gave her mane a fuss and slumped back against the cupboard, defeated, “No salon, no restaurant, and only a rattly old caravan to call home.”

“Sheer perfection!” Silver laughed.

Di yawned and jammed a cushion next to her to try and absorb some of the shaking. It helped a little, but the rattly conveyance was still uncomfortably jarring. She looked at her friend a little shyly, “Um… Silv?”

“Hmm?”

The pink filly steadied herself against the rocking of the caravan, “Er… What do you think happened back there? I mean, with the dogs… you know.”

Silver shrugged. She didn’t really care, nor feel anything for those cursed creatures. Whether it was because of Golden’s lingering influence or what those monsters were capable of, she wasn’t sure, but it wasn’t really a topic she felt like talking about right then. “I don’t know,” she lied, “You’d need to ask Trixie.”

“Yeah...” Di closed her eyes, “Probably.” She motioned towards a cloth bag and a flask, “There’s a sandwich, apple, and a flask of tea for you. It’s probably stone cold now, but it’s the best you’re going to get until we stop.”

“How long was I asleep?” Silver asked.

Di shrugged, “Since last night. We’ve been on the move all day, just in case the diamond dogs follow us.” She hung her head for a moment, her voice distant, “I don’t they will.”

Silver closed her eyes. She could still feel that beast’s claws upon her, the smell of its breath and the reek of the pelt it covered itself with – the bloodied remains of one of the ‘boss’s’ victims. How she’d known how to set the timers on the ‘egg’ devices was, she imagined, really down to Golden’s influence than her own intuition and she was extraordinarily lucky that the one that had claimed the leader of the diamond dogs hadn’t immediately set off the others by sympathetic detonation. Hell’s hooves, she hadn’t even known the term ‘sympathetic detonation’ until just now! Celestia preserve her, she wanted a bath so badly – but nothing could cleanse the horrible memories of what she’d seen, what she’d done, and those terrible screams as the roar of the fire incinerated the foul creatures. There was no doubt now that Golden was a part of her, but how and why she had no idea. Even Miss Sparkle had just sent her on her way with little more than a cursory warning to ‘leave the diaries alone’. Yeah… leave the only decent source of reading material in the manor alone, right? She needed those books, she needed them! It was her link to her past, to her family, and in some way, to her father. Father… Silver closed her eyes and felt for the light, the warmth… He was near, she could feel it. They were drawing closer by the second. She yawned; she was so tired…

The rocking of the caravan lulled them both off to sleep, bringing gentler dreams of happier times to the world of slumber. On the moonlit forest road, Trixie plodded on, her only company the calling of a fox and the hoot of an owl. She was tired too, but for now, she just wanted to walk. Walk… and forget.