• Published 31st Dec 2016
  • 17,446 Views, 3,957 Comments

Pandemic - ASGeek2012



The small Colorado town of Lazy Pines soldiers on through a bad outbreak of influenza in an otherwise typical flu season ... until the OTHER symptoms manifest.

  • ...
62
 3,957
 17,446

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 47 - Misdirections

"What have you learned, Bob?"

Despite having expected the dream to come to him that night, and even knowing the gist of it from the excited proclamations of his fellow ponies, Bob still meets the scene with a sense of surprise and bemusement. For one, he appears and feels like a full pony, and he imagines it will be so in reality upon awakening. He feels a sense of relief that the transition period is over, and he can get on with his life.

But exactly what is his life supposed to be? Is he supposed to be part of this now? Hasn't something fundamentally changed?

Bob turns to the large white mare. "Do you really need me for this anymore?"

The mare gives him a gentle smile. "You have seen for yourself. All ponies do their part. All ponies help one another. Kindness and generosity at the forefront of all things."

"That's not what I mean."

The mare tilts her head. "Then may I ask you to explain?"

"Maybe if this happens to the entire world, you would need everpony. But is that going to happen now?"

The mare considers before responding, "Do you not wish to be part of a world in which there is no strife or want?"

"Of course I want to be part of that," says Bob. "Who wouldn't?"

"Then that is indeed what you can have. You only need to help make it happen."

Bob pauses for a long moment as he looks back towards the pony village. They look no more strange to him than his family does. It would be easy to simply accept the mare's words and subsume himself into this idyllic vision.

"Have you not wanted to be more a part of your adoptive family?" the mare asks softly.

Bob hesitates before answering. "But that's happened now. I'm closer to them than I've ever been before. I imagine it will be more so now that I'm fully pony. The awkwardness will be gone."

The mare smiles. "This is an opportunity to acquire an even larger family. Surely you feel you deserve such."

But does he really need a larger family? Aren't the Tanners enough? Yes, he feels the same longing to widen his circle of friends as the others do. He once read in Sarah's writings that some ancient people considered a town to be an extended family. He is descended from that heritage; why would it need to be taught to him again?

As if sensing his thoughts, the mare says, "In a way, the world becomes one large family."

He realizes the mare has managed to derail him from his original argument. "You keep talking about the world. What is the world?"

The mare hesitates. "I am not sure I understand your question."

"Is the world all seven billion beings, or is it just our piece of it?"

The mare appears unprepared for the question. "Is there a difference?"

"Yes, if not every human becomes a pony."

"We are not speaking of humans at the moment," says the mare. "We speak of ponies. Why would we speak of anything else? It is what we are."

Bob cannot dispute her last statement. He is a pony as assuredly as his name is Bob. Yet there are still those who are not.

"We speak of a world of ponies," the mare says in a more confident voice. "There is no other world to consider."

"But are you sure?"

"I again fail to comprehend your question."

"The one behind all this was captured," Bob says. "Doesn't that mean this might stop spreading?"

The mare hesitates again for a longer moment. Bob suspects this vision is not equipped to deal with the concept of a world of both ponies and humans, which suggests a specific end result is assumed. Perhaps Bob is able to question it solely because he has this inside information about Sunset Shimmer.

"And if that's the case," Bob says when the mare remains silent. "Then not everypony would be needed. Some can do what they want."

The mare suddenly smiles, as if she has been steered onto safer ground. "Do you not feel a sense of loyalty to your fellow ponies? Would you not want to further their safety and well-being?"

Bob looks back to the village. "Of course I do," Bob says in a low voice. "I never said I wouldn't help."

"You certainly seemed eager to help when the barn caught fire."

Bob looks with longing at the other unicorns. He had been able only to levitate burning timbers out of the way, but his fellow unicorns could cast spells that quenched the fire itself. He could almost sense the runes behind them, and he thought for sure he could do that himself one day.

"Be honest with yourself, Bob," says the mare. "You are a unicorn, and you want to know what you can do."

Bob cannot dispute this. Being a unicorn feels natural and right, and he desperately wants to understand how magic works and how he can use it. He also cannot deny his desire to use his abilities to help his fellow ponies.

He understands more now what Laura feels. He wants to shrug off the revelation concerning Sunny and see this mare as a benevolent, guiding spirit. The assumption that this is the future of the entire world makes sense even from a practical perspective. For all he knew, there is no way to stop it, and it is simply a matter of time; to not prepare for that eventuality would be foolish at best and suicide at worst.

Bob turns more fully towards the mare. "I understand. I will help my fellow ponies in creating successful communities like this one."

The mare smiles more fully. "I am delighted you have come to understand."

"But I do want to ask," says Bob. "What will happen if this doesn't affect the entire world? What will become of our communities then?"

Bob feels this is also a practical question. Sure, they can prepare for the best, but what if that doesn't come to fruition? The mare hesitates again, but this time there is a subtle change in her posture. Rather than incomprehension, her face betrays wariness. "I believe ... I believe I have come to understand why you are continuing to make distinctions as to what the world encompasses."

"You do?"

"Rest assured, my dear Bob, this vision can and will come to pass so long as ponies honor the tenets of kindness, generosity, loyalty, honesty, and laughter. It is not up to a single pony, but all of us."

Bob considers. "Even if that single pony is the one behind all this?"

The mare smiles. "Remember, no pony needs to be alone. No pony is truly ever alone. Worry not for a single pony, Bob, for we are all in this together."

Bob is not sure his question was really answered, but before he can refine his point further, the vision fades to white.


Bob awoke to the sound of excited speech all around him. As he blinked away the last vestiges of slumber, he wondered how he had managed to sleep so late with all this noise until he remembered how the others had awoken a bit late after seeing their vision. Unlike an ordinary dream which would be slipping away from him the more wakeful he became, it stuck in his mind like something he had specifically memorized.

So much abuzz with conversation were the others that nopony heard the clop of his hooves as he stood and took a few tentative steps. Thankfully, his muscles moved in near perfect concert. He no longer felt so awkward. If anything, his dark-green-furred body felt as natural as did his sea-green mane and tail had the day before.

His ears swiveled as hoofsteps approached, and he had only just turned towards the sound when he was drawn into a tight hug. "Bob, thank God it's finally over for you."

Bob's muzzle pressed against orange fur, and he breathed deeply of Sarah's scent. It was both familiar and comforting, as if his senses had been this way all his life. He closed his eyes and returned the hug, the most demonstrative he had ever been with his feelings since arriving in the Tanner household.

Sarah gazed into Bob's eyes. "Do you feel okay?"

"Yes, I do," Bob said in a slightly bemused voice. "Do I look okay?"

Sarah smiled. "You look fine, other than you still have something hanging off your hindquarters."

Bob turned his head. His briefs were still wrapped around his rear legs above the fetlocks. He wriggled his hindquarters and dropped the briefs down his legs. A glow from Sarah's horn helped him extricate his rear hooves. Bob flicked his tail to get the hair to lay more naturally.

He glanced at the briefs. A faint thought swirled in his head that he ought to preserve it, like an artifact of a past time. He remembered how he had told Laura that he would try to remember the things that he used to do. He could indeed remember them, they just didn't seem quite as important now. Yet the act of remembering them itself did.

"You okay, Bob?" Sarah asked.

Bob turned his gaze back to her. "I'm fine. Just a little overwhelmed."

"Did you have the vision?"

Bob hesitated. "Yes."

"What did it focus on for you?"

"My family," Bob said. "Meaning the one I have now. Why do you ask?"

"I was just concerned for you, that's all," Sarah said in a subdued voice. "After what we talked about yesterday. It made me start thinking more on what's really going on."

"I tried to talk to the mare in the vision about what happened to Sunny," said Bob.

Sarah's eyes widened slightly. "Are you sure that was a good idea?"

"Well, Sunny is in custody, right?"

"So I'm told, yes. But just seeing and sensing what a unicorn can do, I'm wondering exactly how they accomplished it."

Bob glanced around him. He saw other unicorns casually moving their possessions about with magic. A few appeared to be sorting through them, face deep in thought as they pondered more relics from their human past. He felt the urge even more now to try it out for himself. He could see the flow of the spell in his head. He could sense how his magic would wrap itself around other objects in a way hands never could.

"You were right about how spells work, Bob," said Sarah with a small smile. "I think I can sense how my levitation spell can be adjusted to do more fine manipulation."

Bob continued to stare at the other unicorns. It almost looked like they were packing. "What's going on? What is everypony so excited about?"

"They're finally going to let us out of here later today," said Sarah with some relief. "Laura is positively ecstatic. She's like a little foal on Christmas morning."

Bob did indeed see that as good news. It gave him even more incentive to start using his horn, as he wanted to be able to help the others from the very start. He had even told the mare in his vision that he would help regardless of the final outcome.

He glanced at the humans standing at the periphery of the room. Why had he had so much trouble explaining to the mare about the uncertainty of the future? He didn't look upon the humans as future ponies. He doubted anypony else did.

"You have something on your mind," said Sarah gently.

Bob looked back to her. "I guess I do. I can't stop thinking about my conversation with the mare in the vision. I don't think I really got my point across to her. It was like I couldn't get her to understand that Sunny was no longer running things."

"Maybe Sunny was not quite as in control as they thought."

"You said you were starting to think about what's going on," said Bob. "In what way?"

"Sunny disrupted my research," said Sarah. "She actively prevented me from finding a connection to her plans for us. The more I've thought about it, the more I'm coming to resent that."

"You hadn't told me that part."

"I haven't wanted to dwell upon it," said Sarah. "It's like Harry says, we should look forward, not back. What's the point of hating a pony for something that's already said and done? Laura told me that Sunny had said we all have new talents and abilities now, and we need to adjust our life goals to that. It's hard not to agree with that, but when I discovered I might be able to adjust my levitation spell to do just the sort of fine manipulation that's crucial to archaeology, I started reconsidering."

"It's like what I tried to tell the mare," said Bob. "What about things I want to do? I want to help everypony, yes, but I need something more."

Sarah smiled faintly. "I hope we'll all come around to that thinking."

"I almost wish I could talk to Sunny, if for no other reason than to better understand her perspective."

"You and Laura both. I doubt anypony can see her right now."

Bob paused. "So ... she's alone right now?"

"Where other ponies are concerned, I would think so," said Sarah.

Bob's eyes became distant as words from the vision came to him again.

No pony needs to be alone.

No pony is truly ever alone.

Worry not for a single pony.

"Is something wrong?" Sarah asked.

"Aunt Sarah, they interviewed you and a lot of other ponies about the vision yesterday, right?"

"Yes, they did."

"Maybe I should volunteer to be interviewed about mine," said Bob.

"You certainly can if you want to," said Sarah. "Any particular reason why?"

"I'm not sure. It just feels like it might be important."


Jenny approached the human technicians when her position in the line came up, and a tag with the number "3" written upon it and attached to a string was placed around her neck. She nodded her thanks and headed away.

James trotted up to her, smiling, a similar tag around his neck. "Hey, we're on the same one. Cool."

Jenny rolled her eyes but grinned nevertheless. "You do know we're going to the same place, right?"

"Yeah, I know, but what can I say, I like your company."

Jenny blushed faintly. She was still getting used to being the object of somepony's affections. When they were still humans, she had been too wrapped up in herself to really understand and appreciate his feelings for her.

James stepped a little closer to her and said in a low voice, "I hadn't had a chance to ask you yet. You have any more dreams last night about the Fae Queen?"

Her dreams were really no big secret. She suspected he was using the excuse to be closer to her to take in more of her scent. That seemed to be what defined closeness among ponies. She felt safe and protected anytime she was this close to her father, and he was the only thing she could smell. "No, I haven't, but I've been trying to remember more details of the one I did have."

"And have you?"

"Only that the Fae Queen did something to me."

"You said it was like she had started transforming you."

"No, it's more than that," said Jenny. "She did something else to me, but I'm having trouble figuring out what. She said something to me, and it made something happen in my head."

James' eyes widened. "That's a little creepy."

She almost said it was no more creepy than somepony beaming a vision into her head, but why would she think of it that way? What was so creepy about showing them a bright future?

"The only part I can remember clearly is seeing her watch the storm head off into the distance," said Jenny. "It's hard not to remember it because of the way she towered over me."

James tilted his head. "Towered over you?"

Jenny paused. "I hadn't mentioned that?"

"Not that I can remember."

"Well, she did. She was way tall, taller than I remember depicting her. I never had her more than maybe half a foot taller than the peasant girl."

"Wow, this is weird," said James. "It really is like you're remembering more and more of that dream."

"Are you sure I never mentioned about the Fae Queen being tall?"

"I'm just about positive."

Jenny frowned. "I don't like this. It's like I remember stuff but don't remember remembering stuff, if that makes any sense."

Before James could reply, a yellow and orange blur flying towards them from the distance resolved itself into a hovering Laura. "Jenny, there you are! Did you hear the news?!"

Jenny smirked and lifted her tag with her hoof. "You mean about being let go? Yeah, kinda hard not to."

"No, I don't mean that!" Laura said excitedly. "They're actually going to let us go to the place I suggested to the ponies at the other shelter! God, I'm both really excited and so nervous at the same time. I hope I picked the right spot. I'd never live it down if ..." She trailed off as she finally noticed the tags around Jenny's and James' necks. "What are those?"

"What, you don't know?" Jenny asked.

Laura shook her head in confusion.

"They're bringing in some transports to ferry us out of here," said Jenny. "All of us are supposed to get assigned to a specific transport, so they're giving out tags."

"Oh, okay, I guess that makes sense for the earth ponies and unicorns."

"I think everypony is required to get a tag."

Laura stared. "What, seriously?"

"I saw a few pegasi getting them as well," said James.

Laura face-hoofed. "Oh, for heaven's sake, pegasi don't need transports, we have wings! Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to go talk to them."

Jenny wondered if the reason the part about the storm in her dream was what she remembered most clearly was because her sister was a pegasus. Laura's ability to control the weather dovetailed so much with the dream that Jenny had the wild thought there was a connection somehow.

But that was ridiculous. One had nothing to do with the other except the general subject, and the fact that something supposedly happened to Jenny concerning a storm in the still nebulous past ...

... when she was a little girl ...

Jenny suddenly stared at Laura.

"Is something wrong?" Laura asked.

Jenny blinked rapidly. For just an instant, she saw her sister as she had been many years ago when she was eight, a human girl whom Jenny had looked up to. The moment was gone almost as quick as it had come, and the more familiar form of a hovering yellow-furred pegasus reasserted itself.

"No, I'm fine," said Jenny. She slowly smiled. "I'll be looking forward to what you can really do once you have the open skies."

Laura smiled. "So will I! I'll catch you before you head out, I promise."

Jenny nodded and watched her sister the pegasus fly away.

"You looked like you zoned out a bit for a moment," said James gently.

Jenny hesitated as she struggled to forge the link in her head, as if her mind were resisting the very thought itself. Everything wanted to tell her that she was being silly for entertaining it in the first place, that it was just her making it all about herself again.

She looked off into the distance where Laura used her wing to brush away the hand of a technician holding a tag and started talking to him in earnest.

We're as close now as we ever had been as foals.

"Jenny?" James prompted.

Jenny turned towards him. "I had a weird thought. What if the reason the Fae Queen towered over me in the dream was because I was a little girl?"

"A little girl? How little?"

A specific age briefly lit up in her head but almost immediately winked out. "I'm not sure, but a lot younger than I ever portrayed the peasant girl."

"But you were the peasant girl in your dream," said James. "Now I'm confused."

"You're not the only one," Jenny muttered.


Laura uttered a wistful sigh as she hovered near her family and stared at the door that had been designated the exit. Already, eager ponies from the first transport group were lining up near it. She could faintly hear engines idling just outside.

She glanced up at the skylights. A gorgeous azure sky was peppered by small puffs of clouds, making her heart ache and her wings quiver even as they held her aloft. She glanced down and frowned at the tag hanging from the string around her neck, which had the number "6" drawn upon it.

"Sorry you're not going to be in the same transport as the rest of us, honey," said Sarah in a gentle voice.

Laura turned in mid-air and landed on her hooves with a loud clop as she gazed at her family. Each of them sported a tag with the number "3" on them. "I kept telling them that I don't need a transport, but they wouldn't listen to me."

"That's government types for you," said Harold. "Do everything by the book and to hell with common sense. At least we won't have to deal with that for much longer."

"But we're still American citizens," said Bob. "We still need to abide by American law and procedure."

"I don't think the Constitution was written with ponies in mind, sport."

"I never got the impression from that vision that ponies were under any sort of formal government," Laura said. "But I guess it makes sense there should be one if the population gets big enough. I'm not sure how that would work, though."

"I don't think the federal government would like us making a separate government in their midst," said Bob.

Jenny rolled her eyes. "Does it matter? It's not like we're going to make laws making murder legal or something stupid like that."

"There's more to law and government than that," Bob explained. "What about property? What about laws regarding how goods are bought and sold?"

Laura really didn't want to touch on these topics. They had never been her strong point, and it was one of the reasons she had dreading college: she saw herself being forced to learn subjects that simply didn't interest her, and she would do badly in them as a result. "I really think we need to take this one step at a time. Surely they wouldn't be letting us go if they hadn't thought of some of the same things. Don't tribal governments on reservations have some sort of autonomy?"

"Tribal sovereignty only goes so far," said Sarah. "It's rather complicated how it works."

"Then maybe this is a chance to simplify things," said Laura. "It's not like we even need to worry about the quality of the land we have, not with the earth ponies able to improve it and the pegasi to bring in all the rain that's needed."

Bob glanced towards the technicians who were approaching the exit door. "I guess I'm concerned about how much of an imposition this is on the remaining humans."

"We're not taking anything from them. We asked for a place to go, and they agreed to give it to us. It's really that simple. They could've told us no."

"I don't think a lot of ponies would take that answer well."

Laura uttered a sigh of exasperation. "But it didn't happen. I don't think there's any point in speculating about it."

She was frankly very glad she didn't need to worry about that outcome, for she saw no easy way for them to gain their freedom without generating some sort of ill will. Would the humans have actually tried to stop them if they had gone on their own to that particular plot of land? They were only trying to find a way to live happy and healthy without relying on humans to feed and shelter them. Wasn't the whole property thing just an overcomplicated boondoggle that stood in the way of what should really be quite simple?

More to the point: nothing in the vision said they couldn't welcome humans as well as they did other ponies. Certainly Laura felt no animosity towards them whatsoever.

A technician began making an announcement over a megaphone, the volume of which had been adjusted downward to be better suited for sensitive pony ears. "Attention, please. We are about to load the first transport. Only those designated for transport number one should be at the door. You will proceed single file. Please refrain from using magic until you disembark."

Laura's heart pounded. "It's finally happening. We're finally being let go."

"I have to admit, I wouldn't mind going by the old house one more time," said Sarah. "There are a few items of sentimental value I'd like to have."

Laura turned to her and smiled. "I can do it, Mom! I can just fly right over there and get whatever you want."

"How are you going to carry anything?" Jenny asked.

"I'm sure we can figure out a way to put together some sort of bag that can be slung over my barrel," said Laura.

Jenny smirked. "Saddlebags?"

Laura giggled. "Why not? Just without the actual saddle. Kelly already adjusted the straps of her backpack so she can just sling it over herself. I'm sure that--"

She was interrupted by the sound of a metal latch being undone, followed by a loud cheer and hoof-stomps. Laura turned around, and her breath caught.

A bright shaft of morning sunlight glowed with such splendor that it made the rest of the auditorium look even more drab than it had before. Laura swallowed as she stared, and her wings quivered against her sides as a fresh breath of early spring air wafted over her. At once, all her pegasus senses were alert, and her muscles tensed. Her wings unfolded from her sides almost of their own accord, as if to better feel that air on her feathers.

"Laura, are you all right?" Sarah asked.

Another breeze wafted over her, driven by an early morning wind that was so common at this time of year. She could even hear it whistling through the branches of trees that had yet to come out in leaf, and the distant roar of the wind's source rolling down the mountains.

She looked down at her tag for a moment, then hooked her fore-hoof into the string and yanked hard. The string briefly bit into the fur of her neck before it snapped, the tag falling to the floor with a faint clatter.

"Laura, what--??" her mother began.

"I'll see you all over there!" Laura cried before she leaped into the air. She turned her ears forward to attenuate her mother's protests and shouted, "Heads up!!"

The doorway was at least twice the height of a pony, and she could have threaded herself through the additional space with ease. Nevertheless, her pony brethren ducked as she rocketed overhead like a missile. A protest from a technician went unheard as Laura burst out of the building and soared into the beckoning skies.

Her wings pumped with not a desperate fury but a strong and sure confidence that she had never felt in her life. Her eyes widened at the glorious feeling of not just the air flowing over her fur and feathers, but the sheer reach of senses that she now understood had given her only the barest glimmer of what they could really do.

She soared at what would have been a dizzying pace to anyone other than a pegasus. The higher she went, the more exhilarated she felt. As she rose almost level to the nearby mountain peaks, she could sense not just the wind passing over her, but everything about it. The mountain wave flow that sustained it was like a tangible force. Words from weather reports that had been only a jumble of barely glimpsed meaning she now understood on an innate and almost intimate level.

The feelings were so intense that she wanted to cry, and she did indeed wipe away a few tears as she came level. Yet when she looked down, the tears threatened to well up again. The world was so beautiful from here. On plane trips, she had always liked to have the window seat so she could have such a view. That experience paled in comparison to this. She was completely unfettered, with only her own wings to rely upon.

"I can fly," Laura said, as if only truly realizing it now. "I can FLY!!"

Her heart soared almost as much as she had when she saw other pegasi having taken her cue and not bothered to be herded onto transports. She was about to call out to them when she heard her name screamed out in near exultation. She spun around in midair and gasped. "Emma!"

The familiar purple pegasus zoomed towards her and pulled her into a tight hug in mid-air. Laura breathed in Emma's scent, the presence of her dear friend making this experience feel complete.

"Oh, Emma, I'm so glad to see you!" Laura cried.

A huge smile stretched across Emma's muzzle. "I should've known you wouldn't want to wait, either!"

"Isn't this wonderful? Doesn't this feel great?"

"Yes, it does!" Emma said. "I almost thought this might be a fluke until I took off into the skies like it was second nature to me."

"Where's Joan?" Laura asked.

Emma blinked and glanced behind her. "That's funny, she was right behind me. She did make a comment about wanting a closer look at some of the clouds but--"

"Laura! Emma! Look at this!"

They turned as one and looked up. Joan was atop one of the finger-like clouds that rode the mountain wave and stretched out from the peaks. It took them a moment to realize her wings were folded at her sides, and yet she remained level with the clouds.

Laura gasped and flew upwards for better look. "What ... Joan are you actually--?!"

"Standing on a cloud?" Joan said. "You bet I am!"

Emma zoomed up. "We can walk on clouds?!" She zipped forward and came alongside Joan. She lowered herself, her hooves starting to disappear into the white. She suddenly gasped and drew her wings in. "Ohmigod, we can walk on clouds!"

Laura soon joined them. As she lowered herself, she felt the cloud's moist touch become more tangible. It never became completely solid, yielding like fluffy cotton. It even had a bounce to it.

"This is all just so amazing," Laura murmured.

"I'm really tempted to try shaping this cloud into something," said Emma.

"What I want to do is see the site they're sending us to," said Joan.

Laura looked up. "Yes, we should. I'm anxious to see it myself."

"I was so happy when they said they were going to take your suggestion, Laura!" Emma said.

Laura hoped that meant she had made the right decision. Surely someone had double-checked it would be a good--

No, she had to stop doubting herself. She had the ability to make good decisions. She didn't need to fall back on Sunny's pep talk. "Come on, let's go."

They took off from their cloud perch and sailed downward towards the valley that ran north of the town of Lazy Pines. Laura smiled as she realized she could sense the thermals just like birds could, letting her occasionally rest her wings. They even followed one down in a slow, lazy spiral.

Emma suddenly thrust a hoof forward. "I think that's it over there."

Several vehicles lay at the periphery of an open field, and camping equipment was being unloaded by men in fatigues. There were also men in dark suits standing about.

"Wait, what?" Emma said suddenly in confusion. "There are other ponies here already?"

"Where?" said Joan.

"Over there on the far side of the field."

Laura turned her head as well. Her gaze was first drawn to a particular human who stood there, whom she soon recognized as Doctor Conner. He stood among several ponies she had never seen before, and surrounding them was a tight contingent of the dark-suited men. One of the ponies was a pale pink unicorn with a tri-colored blue and cyan mane. Another unicorn had white fur and a purple mane. A pegasus stood near them with yellow fur and pink hair. Two earth ponies were present as well, one bright pink and the other orange. The former was bouncing on her hooves in an odd way, as if they were spring-loaded, and the latter wore a stetson upon her blond mane.

Now the pink unicorn's horn began to glow. Soon, Doctor Conner did as well, and then the other ponies.

"What's going on?" Emma asked.

Before Laura could reply, one of the National Guard soldiers looked up and shouted in alarm. He started to raise his weapon when his superior barked an order at him. Now some of the dark-suited men were looking up, and one shouted, "You were supposed to come with the transports! Get down on the ground at once!"

"We better do what they say, girls," said Joan.

Laura nodded and led the way. As soon as they settled on their hooves, Laura said, "We're sorry if we disrupted things. We just got excited at trying out real flying."

The man sighed. "And just how many others have done the same?"

"Among the pegasi? Um, a lot," Laura said in a sheepish tone. "So you'll probably get more arriving soon."

"Great, so much for security," the man muttered.

"I could have told you that," said Kevin Conner with a gentle smile as he walked over. "I really wouldn't worry about it. I can vouch for Laura here and her friends. In fact, I suggest you let me introduce them to Starlight and her friends."

"I'll have to clear that with Mr. Heller," said the suited man. "Meanwhile, if any more arrive, keep them all together."

Laura peered at the group of ponies. The pink one noticed her looking and stopped bouncing. She raised a fore-hoof and waved enthusiastically. Laura tilted her head in bemusement when the pony seemed to be singing, but in no language she understood. The white-furred one gently prodded her, and the pink one instead cried in English, "Hi, new-ponies-who-shouldn't-be-ponies-but-we're-going-to-call-you-that-for-now-anyway!"

Laura was even more confused as she looked at the yellow pegasus. She had two squirrels perched on her barrel, a bird sitting in her mane, and a bunny curled up asleep at her fore-hooves.

"Laura, look," Emma said in a hushed voice. "The orange one. Is that some sort of tattoo on her rear?"

Laura's eyes widened. The orange earth mare did indeed have a mark, one of three apples.

"They all have them," Joan said. "The yellow pegasus has one that looks like butterflies, and the white unicorn has diamonds."

"They're cutie marks," Laura said in a fascinated voice.

"I ... know what that means," Emma said. "Somehow, I do."

"It's like the final step," Joan said. "You get one when you're sure you know what you want to do."

"But aren't we already sure?"

"I think there's more to it than that, otherwise we'd all have them by now."

"I don't get this," Emma said. "How did they get theirs first? I thought our two shelters had the first full ponies."

"There's only one way to find out," said Laura. She looked up at Kevin. "I think we'd very much like to meet them, Doctor Conner."

Author's Note:

Later this week I will be going on vacation. As a result, the next update will be delayed until September 2nd.

PreviousChapters Next