• Published 31st Dec 2016
  • 17,447 Views, 3,957 Comments

Pandemic - ASGeek2012



The small Colorado town of Lazy Pines soldiers on through a bad outbreak of influenza in an otherwise typical flu season ... until the OTHER symptoms manifest.

  • ...
62
 3,957
 17,447

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 41 - Visions of the Future

Bob glanced up at the slim skylights, where the twilight deepened towards full night. Pegasi hovered near them, gazing through the glass with longing. The technicians had long since given up trying to curb anyone from using their abilities, so long as the earth ponies took care not to break anything, the unicorns didn't try to snatch any of the technician's possessions, and the pegasi didn't try to make it rain indoors.

He caught a glow out of the corner of his eye and turned his head. Sarah lay on her belly, reading a magazine and using magic to turn the pages. It had taken only a few hours for her to master the basics of using her horn, and Bob could not help but feel some anticipation. His own horn had started to emerge, just a small nub in the center of his forehead, but it already tingled with potential.

Until that was realized, all he could do was wait. By the late afternoon, his feet had more or less frozen with the balls bent down, and now the toes had started to fuse. He could almost see it happening if he stared at it long enough.

While he was not socializing with them directly, having his family nearby was comforting. Harold and Jenny lay next to each other, talking softly. Harold's tail was wrapped partially around Jenny's haunches, as if in a symbolic gesture of protection.

"You okay, Bob?"

Bob snapped his gaze back to Sarah, who looked at him with concern. Pony faces were extremely expressive, especially with those huge eyes. The end state of the transformation had not been what he had envisioned, yet now it was becoming increasingly familiar.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Bob said in a weak voice.

Sarah folded one fore-hoof over the other. "You sure?"

"I just want this to be over."

Sarah nodded. "I understand."

Bob wished he had talked to her more during her transformation. Talking to her now was a moot point, as she was as accepting of her new form as everypony else in the family, if not the whole shelter.

Bob averted his gaze when he heard approaching hoofsteps. A colt with dark blue fur and olive green hair had trotted over to Jenny, his tail tucked between his hind legs. They spoke softly to one another for a moment, and after some encouraging words from Harold, Jenny rose to her hooves. Bob's heart ached as he saw her trot away with the colt he assumed was James.

"Something else is bothering you, honey," said Sarah.

"I just ... I kinda miss not having some of my friends here, at least the ones I knew before. Jenny at least has James."

"This is about Tina, isn't it?"

Bob remembered the car trip they had taken to Breckenridge to get groceries when the vegetables and greens became scarce in the stores in town and how flustered he was when the subject of Tina came up. Now it just hurt.

"Have you spoken with her recently?" Sarah asked.

"Not since the morning we left for the shelter."

Sarah's eyes widened. "Are you serious?"

Bob stared down at his cell phone. He had avoided turning it on that morning. "I don't want to bother her in case she's still upset."

"But that may be precisely why you need to talk to her," said Sarah. "You can reassure her that things aren't so bad."

Bob stared at Sarah, trying to convince his mind that she shouldn't be a pony and failing. "You were worried about losing your hands and your career."

Sarah smiled faintly, her horn glowing as she picked up Bob's cell phone in her magic. The phone wobbled slightly. "I imagine I can eventually operate tools and pick up artifacts with my horn given enough practice. I'm not giving up something I've poured my life into, Bob."

Bob had noticed that a distinct change had come over Sarah. He had asked Jenny about it earlier, and she said something about Sarah having her theories validated, but she couldn't give more detail than that.

"Are you worried about Tina?" Sarah asked.

"Yes," Bob replied in a low voice.

Sarah raised the phone further. "Then call her. If I had the ability to talk to Laura right this moment, I would, but she doesn't answer her phone. I'm told she's safe and healthy, but I won't stop worrying until I have a chance to see her for myself."

Bob stared at the phone for a long moment before he finally grabbed it. He turned it on and was about to bring up his contacts when he was notified of several missed calls. "That's Tina's number."

Sarah smiled. "You're not the only one worried about a friend."

Bob blushed faintly as he called. "Um, hi," he said in a quavering voice when it was answered.

"Hi, yourself," said a bemused Tina. "You sure you want to talk to me?"

"Tina, I'm really sorry," Bob blurted. "I wasn't trying to ignore you. I just ... I've had some issues, let's just leave it at that."

"You really do sound upset," said Tina in a concerned voice.

"Mostly at my own foolishness."

"Come again?"

Bob glanced at Sarah. She nodded and stood. She spoke softly with Harold, and they headed away together.

"You still there?" Tina asked.

"Yeah, sorry," Bob said in a lower voice. "I was starting to think I was a failure."

"Er, how?"

Bob glanced down at his feet. "I'm probably going to become a complete pony in another day, and I'm having trouble finding any reasons why that should be wrong."

"You're that far, huh?" Tina said softly.

"What about you?"

"I have a lovely cornflower yellow tail to match the hair, and my eyes have turned dark blue."

"I think those colors go together well," Bob said before he could catch himself.

Tina chuckled. "Such a charmer."

Bob blushed. "I-I didn't mean--"

"I think you did, because I feel the same way about you."

Bob's heart raced. "Tina, I've never dated in my life. Now I wish we ... that is ..."

"Bob, this will be over soon," Tina said.

"But not in the way it should," Bob said, but the words rang hollow when he felt his ears swivel and twitch.

"Does it matter anymore? Unless, of course, you're just not into wings."

"Wings?"

"That's what I've been told I'm likely to get next. Shoulders and upper back have been aching badly, and after they took an MRI of me earlier, they said the wing bones are starting to form."

"I-I have a horn," Bob said in a hushed voice.

Tina chuckled faintly. "Then we'll both have something to show off to each other when I hold you to that promise of a date."

Bob felt mildly proud of himself when he managed not to respond with "But I didn't promise that." Instead, he said, "I have no idea what ponies are supposed to do on a date."

"We'll figure it out. They tell me to expect fur soon as well. I'll text you what color it is so we'll recognize each other."

Bob didn't think that would be necessary. He was already starting to notice that many ponies had distinct smells that he could almost pick out from each other, and the ones from his family seemed more familiar. He imagined he might know her from just that. "All right."

"Have you heard from Laura? I can't reach her anymore."

"She's a full pony now," said Bob. "A pegasus. Um, like you're becoming."

"Sweet, we'll still have something in common, then."

"I'm hearing rumors that they're considering letting us out of here, that they're waiting for all the transformations to finish."

"I really hope so. I hate being cooped up like this." Tina paused. "Um, I need to go, my parents need some help. They can't quite stand on their own anymore. I think they're going to be fully pony by morning."

"I really hope to see you soon, Tina," said Bob.

"Same here," Tina said. "Bye for now."

"Bye."

Bob hung up and let the hand holding the phone drop to his side. For the first time since this started, he felt a spark of hope that things might just turn out right in the end.


After walking for almost a full minute without a word being exchanged, Jenny finally said, "So, hi."

"Um, hi," James said in a low voice.

"Now that the extremely awkward silence phase of this conversation is over, what did you want to talk to me about?"

James hung his head briefly, his ears drooping, before he finally looked towards Jenny and said, "I think you already know."

"I didn't get fantastic mind-reading powers when I became a pony, James," said Jenny in a testy voice. "Out with it."

"I wanted to talk about us."

"Us?" Jenny said with some surprise. "There's an 'us?' News to me."

"Stop it."

"I could say the same to you."

James took a few steps ahead, then whirled around to face Jenny. She stopped barely in time to avoid plowing her muzzle into his. "Come on, you're not seriously going to let one mistake on my part ruin this."

Jenny drew back a step in surprise, one fore-hoof raised. "Mistake? You call basing your whole relationship with me on how well I entertained you a simple 'mistake' that we can just ignore?" She pointed a fore-hoof at her head. "I don't even need these big eyes to see what kind of crap that is."

"You wouldn't listen to me enough to let me explain," James said in a somber voice. "You got too hung up on me referring to you as a filly."

Jenny had only barely remembered that part of the conversation. She could almost grasp the idea that it had been wrong, that she had been justified in being upset with him. Yet was she just inventing reasons to hate him?

Not that she could truly hate him. No matter what, she still wanted his friendship. "I'm sorry," Jenny said in a more contrite voice. "I'll listen now."

"What I meant was that it was what initially attracted me to you," said James. "You have to start somewhere in a relationship."

"I wouldn't know. I'm new to this."

"Join the club. Maybe you haven't noticed that I don't date much."

"I only know you from when we started hanging out."

"Exactly what I mean," James said. "Not that I wasn't asked. Several times. I turned them all down."

Jenny smirked faintly as she said, "That supposed to impress me?"

James slowly smiled. "I'll take that in the sense I hope it was intended. That's another thing I like about you: your wit. Even if everypony else doesn't like it, I do."

Jenny's smirk turned to a small smile. "Thanks."

"As much as I enjoyed the fantasy stuff, and I'd miss it if you never went back to it, it's not the be all and end all of why I like you."

"I just don't want you to like me for the wrong things," said Jenny. "Some of what you like may be me being a self-centered brat."

James sighed. "You're not--"

Jenny planted her fore-hoof on James' muzzle. "Save it. I don't really want to go into the details about it yet, but it's something I figured out about myself, and I don't like it. I want to change it."

James grinned. "If it helps any, I was mainly going to dispute the 'brat' part."

Jenny blinked in surprise, then rolled her eyes and shoved James hard in the shoulder. Had he been anything other than an earth pony, he would have been bowled over. "Wow, you run hot and cold, don't you? Play with my affections, whydoncha?"

James chuckled. "All I meant is, yeah, I could see Tina's point. That's what started all this, right?"

"Yeah, mostly."

"I can see where other ponies would see you that way." James ran a fore-hoof through his mane. "I guess I saw it from another perspective once I started socializing more. A number of the other colts in this shelter are schoolmates, and we talked."

Jenny's ears rose. "About me?"

"Yeah."

"You're such a shameless gossip."

James blushed faintly. "The point is, yeah, even if they agreed with Tina's assessment of you, they all had nice things to say as well."

"They did?"

James smiled. "They confessed that they weren't sure why they never said that before. It's not really important."

Something in Jenny momentarily yelled that it was important as hell. Why would they change their tune now? Yet the need for acceptance overrode it.

"All right, you want me to be brutally honest?" James said. "There's another reason I wanted to talk to you. My colt friends were making noises about approaching you. I wasn't sure if it was just as friends or, well, for other reasons."

Jenny rolled her eyes. "I'm not entirely sure what I feel for you right now, I don't need it complicated by ponies competing for my affection." She paused. "But I do know I feel something more for you than anypony else. I can't say what it will be like a month from now or even tomorrow."

"I'm not asking for guarantees, just a chance," said James.

"I'll consider that under one condition."

James must have caught the mischievous tone in Jenny's voice, as one corner of his mouth rose. "What's that?"

Jenny took a step closer. "You tell me what else you like about me," she said in a soft voice.

James blushed. "Your colors."

"Really?"

"Yes. The pink hair and the purple eyes just sort of does it for me."

Now it was Jenny's turn to blush. "O-kay, we're back to awkward."

"Sorry."

Jenny smiled. "It's okay. It's more a good kind of awkward. I'm just not used to hearing that kind of stuff."

James looked away for a moment. "Jenny, I don't know what's going to happen to us. I don't even know what I'll do with my life now."

"My Mom's fully intending to go back to archeology," said Jenny. "Says she can manipulate tools with her horn."

"And your Dad?"

"He hasn't said anything about it yet," said Jenny. "Other than he feels like he's in a better place now to help his father out. He's not sure why he feels that way, though."

"My father's been making noises about wanting to help out on his family's farm," said James. "I can kind of see his point."

Jenny had never really taken an interest in family affairs, but when Harold had started to talk candidly about his father's woes, it held her interest. Perhaps she was seeing a possible trip to her grandfather's farm as another adventure.

Jenny glanced behind her. "I, uh, better get back to my Dad. I've really been enjoying my time with him now that he's paying attention to me again." She snorted. "See what I mean about being self-centered?"

"That's not being self-centered," James said. "I've read in between the lines whenever you portrayed your father as a character in your stories. I knew you had something going on where you missed interacting with him."

"Maybe," Jenny murmured.

"I'm kind of the same way with my mother. All this has mellowed her out some. I'm hoping it's a trend, as we used to be closer, too."

Jenny slowly smiled. "So I guess we do have more in common than I thought."

"That's another thing I like about you. Your smile."

"Okay, now you're getting mushy."

James chuckled. "Sorry."

"I'll see you later, James," said Jenny softly.

James smiled. "See you."


"So none of you have any idea what I'm supposed to be?"

Laura's heart ached at the plaintive tone in Josie's voice. Despite the purple-maned midnight-blue-furred pony having wings, Laura hesitated to call the odd, bat-winged pony a "pegasus." It was clear she had none of the same instincts for the weather like Laura and her winged friends did, though she could fly perfectly well.

"It's bad enough I hardly get a chance to talk to anypony," Josie continued, her gaze shimmering. "Just a little in the mornings before I go to sleep and then in the evening like this when I first wake up."

"Have you tried changing up your sleep schedule?" Emma suggested.

"God, have I tried!" Josie said. "Do you know I can actually see in the dark? It's like I'm designed to be up at night, but I'm not sure why. If I just had more like me here, I'd actually enjoy it more. I never knew how beautiful the nighttime is."

"There's got to be more like you," said Joan. "I can't believe there'd be only one."

"I can sense there are others like me," said Josie. "It's kinda maddening, knowing they're out there, but I can't reach them, at least not yet."

"We should go directly to the source to figure this out," said Laura. "We should ask our caretakers if they know of any more night ponies like you. Kelly, can you make a note of that, please?"

Kelly nodded and levitated a pen to the notebook in front of her. She narrowed her eyes as she commanded the pen to write. It was a slow and laborious process, but she was getting better with each passing hour. Laura had considered trying to write with a pen in her mouth, but she thought this would be good practice for the unicorns.

She had Fred to thank for this arrangement. He had suggested keeping a journal of questions and requests. His point was that an organized front would be more respected.

"Maybe we should make a similar note for Steve," said Emma's father.

"Who's that?" Laura asked.

"An earth pony stallion with glassy hair and fur."

"Yes, I remember seeing him when the wall came down," said Joan.

"Yeah, he was feeling a little left out, too," said Joan's husband. "Though I know it's not nearly as bad as you have it, Josie."

Josie gave them a wan smile. Her father, an earth pony, gave her a hug. Josie wrapped a wing around him. "Thanks, all, I really appreciate the support."

"I feel confident that you'll learn what you can do soon," said Sadie. "If it happened for the others, it will happen to you."

"She's not the only one wondering what they can do," an earth pony stallion muttered.

"If they would just let us out of here!" cried the mare standing beside him.

"Everypony, I'm working on that," said Laura. "I'm getting anxious to have more space to stretch my wings in. If they acquiesced to our request to take down the wall, I think it's only a matter of time before they grant us this. The other shelters are likely getting more ponies by the day."

"How far do you think this is going to go?" Emma asked. "You think the whole world will be like this?"

Laura had not stopped to consider it. She had been so focused in helping the ponies around her that she had not looked at the bigger picture. Where cell phones were not made with hooves in mind, she had no access to the news. While she knew her unicorn friends would be happy to lend a horn, she wanted to remain focused; this was the first time she had taken on this much responsibility and didn't want to be distracted to the point where she would start doubting herself.

"I honestly don't know," said Laura. "But if it does go that far, we're definitely going to have to be let out of here so we can figure out how to live."

"What happens when all the food's gone?" Kelly asked. "I hadn't thought of that until now."

Other unicorns were also looking concerned, but the pegasi less so, and the earth ponies showed almost no concern whatsoever. Joan's husband waved a fore-hoof and said, "Let's not worry about that right now. I don't know why, but I have a feeling it won't be as big a problem as we're thinking."

Laura glanced to the side. "Fred, do you have anything to add?"

Fred smirked. "You seem to have all together."

"I know, but you were former military. You have far more experience than me leading other ponies."

"Different world back then, kid," Fred said in a subdued voice. "With the way everypony is coming together to deal with this, I'm hoping the kind of service I used to provide won't be needed anymore."

Laura couldn't help but hear a bit of a forlorn tone to Fred's voice. Did he feel like he had lost something dear to him? Laura had no similar situation that she could relate to. If anything, this was giving her purpose that she had lacked. She felt very close to grasping what she wanted to do with her life.

Just a few weeks ago, she had been close to freaking out about college. She had a full year to go in high school, thus she was shocked and dismayed when school counselors started sounding the drumbeats that she had to start thinking right now as to what college she wanted to attend, which in turn meant she had to know right now what career she wanted to pursue. For all the praise from her mother for being responsible, it hadn't stopped her from feeling adrift in this particular area.

Now it didn't matter anymore. Convention had been thrown out the window when she realized she could fly and make it rain. How could the choice of a college compare to that?

"The only advice I can give is this," said Fred. "Don't lose sight of the fact that we all have to decide for ourselves what we want to do with our lives. Sure, circumstance is such that we have to come together for support, but we all have our own dreams and aspirations. Believe me, it's not pleasant to have that taken away from you."

"At the same time, this is a golden opportunity for new goals," said Sadie. "Things are very different now. Nothing is going back to the way it was. We have to adapt. There are just some things we can't do anymore but many things that we can. Haven't all of you been told at some point in your life that you should play to whatever your strengths or talents are?"

A nodding of heads followed her remark.

"Then you can see that this is no different. Your strengths and talents have changed, thus your goals must change."

"Yeah, you got a point," said Fred. "But my point still stands. Ponies need to decide their own fate and not have somepony dictate it to them."

"Absolutely," said Sadie with a smile. "If ponies come together for a common good, it's because they believe in it, not because somepony is cracking the whip."

"I think we can all agree with that, Sunny," said Laura. "Thank you, Fred. I think that's good advice. I'm glad you're here."

"Not half as glad as I am," said Fred. "For more reasons than one."


Josie sighed as she hovered and looked through the skylight into the midnight skies above Lazy Pines. The sparkling vault of the heavens opened up before her enhanced night vision despite the thickness of the glass. With all the residents of the town concentrated in the shelters, light pollution was greatly diminished.

She looked down. A skeleton staff was on duty as ponies slept. She had almost hoped somepony would have insomnia, but it was like everypony adhered to a strict circadian rhythm: up with the sunrise and to bed after sunset. Or, in her case, the other way around. Even the glow of her laptop did not disturb them, though she was careful to keep the audio muted. She sorely wished somepony would adapt headphones for pony ears.

Josie flew down and over the sleeping ponies. She wasn't sure what prompted her to do this. She felt protective of them, as if part of her purpose was to guard them in some way. Just before going to sleep the previous morning, she had heard Molly lament about a nightmare she had. Josie had felt the strangest sense of guilt.

She returned to her bedroll. She managed to use her laptop in only the most basic way: grasping a stylus between her fore-hooves and tapping keys like a hunt-and-peck typist. All she could really do was surf the web, and that was becoming more difficult. Pages were taking forever to load as the masses flooded the network for whatever scraps of information they could find. There was also word of swathes of the internet failing from the sheer number of people sick with the flu and simply not reporting to work.

Do not despair, Josie.

Josie leaped into the air, wings beating furiously, her heart racing. Several technicians looked towards her with concern. Josie was about to say something when--

Please, do not call out. Do not disturb your kin.

Josie slowly settled on her hooves. She might have argued that they were not her kin because she was so different, but that argument rang hollow when she cast a concerned gaze over the others.

They are under your protection, Josie. You protect them from the terrors of the dreamscape.

Josie's eyes glistened. She had experienced night terrors on and off between six and ten years of age. Doctors couldn't give her an explanation for what caused them or what would make them go away. Despite not having had one in six years, she lived in fear that they would return.

Even when she could never stop them from happening to her, somehow she could ensure complete peace and safety in the realm of the others' dreams? "H-how ...?"

Hush. No need to speak. For now, just listen.

Josie nodded slowly.

You will learn how to do this in due time. For now, rest assured that they cannot stand up to your power any longer.

Josie let out a quavering breath. To finally, finally be free of them! To never worry again that she would wake up in the middle of the night screaming so loud that her voice was raspy for days. To never feel the embarrassment of an otherwise good-intentioned neighbor phoning the police and her parents having to explain yet again what their daughter was going through.

She wiped a tear from an eye and nodded again.

For now, you need to do something very important, something vital to those under your protection. You have a purpose in being different, and now it will be realized.

Josie's breath hitched as she inhaled, and she sat still.

You will see a vision. A wonderful, positive vision. A vision that will set ponies' minds at ease about the future.

Josie's heart ached to start. All she wanted was to know what she was and what she was supposed to do. She had envied the earth ponies and their strength, the unicorns and their magic, and the pegasi and their weather-shaping skills. They all had some part to play. Surely this was hers.

For a moment, however, she hesitated. She remembered Fred's words earlier, about finding her own destiny. She had wanted to protest that it was easier for him to say that. He had some idea what he could do.

What would be the harm in seeing this vision? Sunny was right in that their old talents were no longer matched to their new abilities. She needed to know what she could do first before she could decide on what she could accept as a purpose.

"I'm ready," Josie whispered.

Close your eyes. Take a deep breath and let it go.

Josie complied, and at once, she felt a calm settle over her.

You can sense them now.

The dreamscape opened up before her, a vast dark velvet blue realm of countless branching corridors descending into soft mist. Beyond these veils lay the dreams of ponies not just in the shelter, but in all of Lazy Pines. They were hers to guide and help.

Now you understand.

The revelation was so strong it almost hurt. She had been freed from her demons of the night, and now she could help keep them at bay for others as well.

Have you a connection to them now?

Had she been told what would happen, she would have complained that it was simply too many ponies for her to handle, yet now she sensed a strong connection to each one. She was more ready to do something than she ever was in her life. She nodded.

Then we begin ...


Laura stands in a forest, dappled sunlight playing along the ground. Birds sing in the branches, and the breeze is warm and pleasant. She should have not a care in the world in such an idyllic setting, yet something feels out of place. Her ears draw back as she sees she is alone.

She extends her wings and flies forward, and her ears rise as she hears something ahead. Hope blossoms, and as the trees fall away, she sees a small community. Earth ponies tend ripening crops. Pegasi shape and move clouds across the azure sky. Unicorns use their magic in a variety of ways, either simply passing tools and materials to other ponies, or easing the pain of an injury, or protecting the community from predators with enchantments.

Several unfamiliar ponies converge on her. She is a complete stranger, an outsider, and yet they accept her as their own. She is momentarily overwhelmed with gratitude for this kind gesture, but this is little more than par for the course for them.

She hears an alarmed shout from above. The rain clouds that the pegasi have been carefully shepherding towards the crops have been accidentally triggered over seed stores that need to be kept dry, and the unicorns have not yet finished repairing the leaky roof.

Laura launches herself into the air. She partners with the other pegasi, and they move the cloud to its proper place. They thank her for her help.

A commotion now rises from below, and Laura flies down to investigate. The earth pony at the head of the team minding the crops is having a disagreement with several other ponies. He has just doled out some of his harvest, and the other ponies are complaining about the paltry portion they were given.

Laura arrives in time to hear the other ponies pointing out how great his yield is, and how it is enough to feed everypony properly and have enough left over for the winter. The earth pony is embarrassed, and he quickly increases what he has doled out to the others. They accept their portion, smile, and touch hooves with the farmer pony. They head off, as content as they were before the altercation started.

Another pony appears at the edge of the community, and he is greeted as enthusiastically as Laura was. Yet the ponies of the village are suddenly confused and look at each other and the stranger questioningly. The stranger does not speak their language.

Yet another pony arrives. His language is different yet again, and his mannerisms are indicative of somepony with a different culture as well as tongue. The community is undaunted. They achieve simple understanding in gestures and pictographs drawn upon the ground, and the newcomers are welcomed. They are given food and shelter, and unicorns try to work out how to cross the language and culture barrier.

A warning cry is sounded from the ponies watching the approaches to the village. A large group of ponies is streaming towards them. They are bedraggled, some are injured, many look wary. Something has happened to these poor ponies, and they were not only hurt but on edge.

They need food, shelter, and healing. They will stretch the supplies of the community, and in their weakened state, they could easily be driven off. Instead, the community welcomes them and does everything in their power to help. Already, the more able-bodied among them are asking how they can help as well.

A distressed shout arises from a far corner of the town. Smoke rises from a structure that has caught fire. Laura doesn't hesitate to join her fellow pegasi in conjuring a rain cloud to battle the flames.

Yet the job is not left to them alone. Earth ponies use their strength to break down doors to rescue trapped ponies, while unicorns use spells to prevent the fire from spreading to nearby structures. When the fire is out, Laura assists with the others in checking for ponies who are hurt.

When it is all over, rather than lament the loss of the building, the ponies gather together in the failing light of day to celebrate the birthday of a member of the village, and their voices rise in joy and laughter,

As Laura watches, she hears hooffalls behind her, and a voice says, "What have you learned, Laura?"

She turns around, and her breath catches. Her eyes fall upon a large mare with gleaming white fur, and an ethereal mane and tail of pastel colors that flow as if driven by a gentle wind. She has a long horn like a unicorn, but enormous wings lay folded at her sides.

Laura is too awed by the appearance of this creature to respond at first, but finally she manages, "I'm not sure what you mean."

"Think back to everything that happened," the creature says in a motherly tone.

Laura looks back to the community. "I was alone at first, but I didn't want to be."

The mare smiles and nods. "A pony never needs to be alone."

"And the others accepted me without question."

"A stranger is simply a friendship waiting to be made."

"And then the cloud ..." Laura slowly smiles. "A pony always helps her fellow ponies."

"Yes, very good!" the mare says with delight. "What else?"

"The disagreement with the earth pony and the crops," says Laura. "Ponies never hoard, they always try to be as generous as possible."

"And?"

Laura looks thoughtful.

"The reaction of the ponies who felt slighted," the mare prompts gently.

"Ponies always forgive."

"Excellent! Keep going."

"The other strangers who arrived, the ones who didn't speak the language," Laura muses. "They were accepted as well."

The mare nods. "There are no barriers to friendship. What else?"

Laura thinks back to the arrival of the large group. "Pony communities always work together, no matter what the adversity."

The mare smiles. "And?"

Laura glances back to the burned out building. "Ponies always work together?"

"Yes, and every pony has a purpose," the mare says. "There is one more."

Laura looks towards the celebration. "Ponies always enjoy life."

"Yes, indeed."

"What does this all mean?" Laura asks.

"Bring everything together which you have just learned, Laura," says the mare. "You have wondered what purpose lies behind what has happened to you. You and your fellow ponies can do something which so many generations of your ancestors have longed to achieve."

Laura looks back to the community. Already they are beckoning her to rejoin them. She feels an eagerness she has not felt before. Laura looks to the mare. "You mean, ponies everywhere can act like this?"

"Can and should," the mare says. "Do you see now?"

Laura slowly nods. "Yes, I think so."

"You can have a world of peace and plenty," the mare says. "Think of the basic principles you have seen at work. They are actually quite simple: kindness, generosity, loyalty, honesty, and laughter. Think of an entire civilization based on these principles, Laura. This is what you have in your power to create, but you don't have to do it alone."

Laura's eyes glisten as she stares at the community.

"All it takes is faith," the mare says. "Faith in yourself, in your abilities, and in your friends. That's all you need to have a world like this."

For so very long, all Laura wanted was to make up for her failure with Jenny. Now she could go beyond that. She could help remake an entire world. Her eyes tear. She has a purpose now. She could move beyond simply making up for past wrongs.

She needs to know only one thing. "Who are you?"

The mare smiles. "You may refer to me simply as a Celestial Spirit. You have a wonderful life ahead of you, Laura. You have nothing to fear."

Laura smiles as the vision slowly fades to white.


"What have you learned, Jenny?"

Jenny is unperturbed by the appearance of the white winged unicorn, as she appears much closer to Jenny's own vision of such a creature from her fantasies. The creature's appearance is comforting, a sense of the familiar in a landscape filled with novelties.

Jenny is more hesitant than her sister to recount the tenets. She has seen everything Laura did, only with small details changed here and there to account for her being an earth pony instead of a pegasus.

"It's like a fantasy made real," Jenny finally says in a soft voice.

"It is no fantasy, dearest Jenny," the mare says. "What you see can and should be your reality."

Jenny turns towards the mare and thrusts a hoof towards the community. "But this doesn't happen in real life. It never does. Not this well, anyway."

"Now you have the power to change that," the mare says.

"But it's always been about me. I've never helped other ponies like this before."

"And yet you did just now."

Jenny remains silent.

"It is far easier than you think," the mare says. "You've already taken strides in that direction."

Jenny gives her a puzzled look. "I have?"

"Think about how well you now act around your fellow ponies. Think about how they feel about you. Have they not already forgiven you for your past actions?"

Jenny's eyes shimmer. "That's what James told me."

"Think of what you've seen," says the mare. "You were alone, but you didn't have to be. You were the stranger, yet you were accepted ..."

The mare summarizes everything that transpired in Jenny's dream, and Jenny stares at the community with a sense of longing.

"Kindness," the mare says. "Generosity. Loyalty. Honesty. Laughter. It's all here. It's all you need. That, and faith."

"Faith?" Jenny asks.

"Faith in yourself and your friends."

Jenny turns towards the mare. "In my fantasies, I always envisioned a world something like this, like medieval times but without all the disease and hardship. I figured, what was the point of recreating everything that made people miserable?"

The mare smiles. "Exactly! Now you understand. You can make that real. You can live it. You don't need to escape to them anymore, Jenny. They can BE your world."

For the past few days, Jenny wondered if perhaps her fantasies were all there was to her, that she was otherwise empty. Now they have become important again. They are useful again. SHE is useful again.

She looks over the other ponies. Something about it is still a touch surreal, but she feels she can ignore it. She has everything she wanted. She slowly smiles as the vision fades to white.


"What have you learned, Sarah?"

When Sarah first laid eyes on the white mare, she only then realized how different Twilight was from the other ponies. No one in her shelter sported both a horn and wings. She wishes she had been in a better state of mind to ask about it.

She looks back towards the community and remembers when her family first moved to Lazy Pines. For the first few days, neighbors took the time to introduce themselves. It seemed like a nice, friendly town, yet she never bothered to follow up on their kindness and become true friends with them. She even forgot most of their names.

"I isolated myself," Sarah says quietly. "I was always off in my own little world, even with regards to my family."

"A pony never needs to be alone," the mare says. "That goes for you as well as others."

Sarah looks towards the mare. "I haven't wanted to be alone anymore."

The mare smiles. "Very good. You are starting to understand."

"Is that what all this is supposed to mean?" Sarah asks. "That we're all supposed to come together like this?"

"Is it not the ideal situation? How else would you have constant support and encouragement? Isn't that what you always wanted?"

Sarah lets out a shaky sigh. She remembers the flood of emotions when Twilight confirmed her theories. Encouragement was severely lacking until that moment.

"You'll never be a stranger again, Sarah, only a friendship that has not been made yet ..."

As the mare recounts the other points of Sarah's experience, she is reminded of what Twilight told her. Another pony has turned them into something that they weren't before. Is this creature before her the real form of Sunset Shimmer? Sarah struggles to see the mare in this light. She seems kind and gentle, more of a guide than anything else.

"Are these not things you would wish for your family?" the mare asks. "Would you not want your family to show kindness?"

Sarah faces the mare fully. "Of course I do."

"Do you not wish them to understand generosity or loyalty?"

"Perhaps we have our faults, but I have always felt we strove for such things."

The mare nods. "Of course you have, Sarah. Just as I am sure you have taught them honesty."

"Yes, of course!"

"What about laughter?"

Sarah glances back at the celebration. "I don't understand."

"Life should never be so hard that there is little room for laughter," says the mare.

Sarah's eyes shimmer as she thinks back to all the stress, all the arguments, all the strife. She lets out another sigh. "Maybe that has been in short supply lately."

"It never has to be again. Not when you can count on your fellow ponies."

Sarah looks back to the mare. "But is this all there is? What of what I want? My career. My life's work."

"It doesn't have to define you anymore."

"I know. I just ... I want to decide my own destiny."

The mare smiles. "You still can. You simply need to accommodate a bigger picture. Do you not research how ancient societies work? Have you not seen how communities working together leads to a more successful civilization?"

Sarah remains silent.

"You will be living your life's work. Every pony has a purpose, Sarah. You will find yours very soon."

Sarah tries to keep Twilight's reassurances at the fore, but she still can't deny how she feels like she has neglected her family all this time. Perhaps there is time to remedy that and pursue her work. Maybe it doesn't have to be either one or the other but not both.

She feels a sense of hope as the landscape fades to white.


"What have you learned, Harold?"

Harold stares at the community for a long moment, his heart aching. "I miss the farm," he says in a low voice.

The mare tilts her head. "Indeed?"

Harold lets out a long breath. "This is the first time I've thought about it this way in a long time. All I could see was that final big blowup with my Dad. I had convinced myself that was the embodiment of everything that was wrong with me staying on the farm."

The mare steps closer. "Does this vision remind you of the farm?"

Harold's eyes glisten. "God, yes, it does. We knew the name of every neighbor. We knew their families. We kept each other apprised of everything that was happening, both the good and the bad. We never hesitated to help."

"Kindness and generosity in great abundance," the mare says softly.

"Yeah, it was."

"What about loyalty and honesty, Harold?" says the mare. "What do they invoke in you?"

Harold turns towards her. "Leaving the farm wasn't about a lack of loyalty."

"No, it wasn't. Consider honesty, then."

Harold lowers his gaze. "You don't have to tell me twice that I haven't exactly been honest with myself."

"But it doesn't have to be that way anymore," says the mare. "You have no need to hide what you feel when you're among friends, and a pony is always among friends."

Harold glances back to the community. The bit about the building catching fire hit him right in the gut. A neighbor had a barn go up, and his father dove right in to help, earning a permanent scar on one cheek when a burning timber struck him. He considered it a mark of honor.

"Do not despair, Harold. Your loyalty to your family is without question, and now you can truly protect them as you always wanted, for you will have a vast network of friends to call upon, just like your days on the farm." The mare smiles. "But never forget laughter."

Harold looks back to the mare. "Laughter?"

"Life is to be enjoyed. Do not dwell on past mistakes. They no longer matter. All that matters is the future."

Harold slowly nods as everything fades to white. "I'll try, I really will."


"What have you learned, Fred?"

Fred thinks back to his days in the army. Never in his life had he felt such a sense of belonging. The men he commanded were not just soldiers doing a job, they were his close friends. Yet this brought him full circle to the little girl who took all that away, and the pony supposedly behind it.

Fred turned to face the mare. "First and foremost, I'm a soldier. The last twenty years don't count, as I have no idea who or what that person was that went around using my name. Do I like what I see here? Yeah, I do. But what else is there for me? Where do I fit in?"

The mare smiles. "You say you are a soldier, so you know what loyalty means."

"Damn straight I do."

"And kindness?"

"Killing enemy soldiers is not exactly being kind," Fred says in a low voice. "Necessary, maybe, but sure as hell not kind."

"And what of your attitude towards the local people you are protecting?" the mare asks. "Is that not kindness? Do you not also feel generosity towards them when you can?"

"But that's the locals, the innocents," says Fred. "It makes sense to act that way towards them."

"Then what about a world with no enemies to fight, Fred? Can you see how that is possible now?"

Fred takes a deep breath. "You sure do paint a rosy picture,"

"There is no need for it to be anything but." The mare points a wing at the celebration. "Have you not seen such things even in the midst of war?"

"Yeah," Fred says softly. "Villages had all sorts of ceremonies and celebrations and whatnot that they invited us to."

"Then you know of laughter," says the mare. "Why not continue to experience that outside of war? Why does there need to be war?"

Fred has no immediate response.

"Let's come to the last one," the mare says. "Honesty."

Fred's gaze snaps up, and he narrows his eyes.

"Be honest with yourself, Fred. Do you truly wish a world where soldiers are needed, or would you prefer something like this, where you can play to your other strengths that do not require killing?"

Fred looks back towards the community. "So let me get this straight. You're saying that all we need to do is act like this, believe in these tenets of yours, and everything will come together into a paradise of friendship and happiness."

The mare smiles. "Yes, exactly."

Fred continues to stare at the other ponies as the word "honesty" repeats in his head. He has to ask himself: just how much honesty has he been subjected to in the past twenty years when an alien pony messed with his head?

Fred turns back to the mare.

"Horseshit."

PreviousChapters Next