• Published 31st Dec 2016
  • 17,447 Views, 3,957 Comments

Pandemic - ASGeek2012



The small Colorado town of Lazy Pines soldiers on through a bad outbreak of influenza in an otherwise typical flu season ... until the OTHER symptoms manifest.

  • ...
62
 3,957
 17,447

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 2 - A Mystery In Canterlot

Author's Note:

This contains some spoilers for the season six finale.

Also, the story will be alternating between Earth and Equestria until the two plots converge.

Meanwhile, in another universe entirely, a pony contemplated a fate worse than death.

"I can't believe I let you talk me into this," lamented Starlight Glimmer, her gaze downcast as she trotted along a street in Canterlot. "There's no way this is going to be anything less than a disaster."

"Really, Starlight, you're worried over nothing," said Twilight Sparkle with a smile as she kept pace with her friend and student. "This isn't like trying to do a difficult friendship lesson or going up against Queen Chrysalis again."

Starlight's head whipped up, her eyes wide and shimmering. "No, it's far worse! It's high tea with Princess Celestia!"

"Honestly, darling, you should listen to Twilight," said Rarity, who trotted along on Twilight's other side. "The Princess is nothing but a delight to be around."

"And it's not like you haven't met her before," said Twilight. "You helped rescue her from Chrysalis. She had nothing but good words to say about you."

"Well, yes, at the time," said Starlight. "And she had more important things to worry about, like opening relations with the new changeling king. What if she's just biding her time to call me on the carpet for everything else I've done?"

"But you've done nothing to--" Rarity began.

"Oh, right, stealing the cutie marks of the Elements of Harmony is nothing. Conjuring random alternate timelines is nothing. Mind-controlling those same Elements during a botched solution to a friendship problem is nothing."

"I meant lately, dear."

"Starlight, Princess Celestia knows everything you've done," Twilight declared. "She's trusted me to decide what should become of you. She never doubted me taking you on as a student. If she had issue with it, she would've said something by now."

Starlight lifted her head and gave the palace ahead a wary look. "I really hope you're right about that."

Rarity chuckled. "I do admit, you remind me so much of how dear Twilight would react to such things."

Twilight blinked. "I never reacted that way."

Rarity raised an eyebrow.

Twilight blushed. "Well, okay, maybe I did. A little."

Starlight snickered. She angled her head so her gaze passed over Twilight's barrel. "How bad was she?"

Rarity waved a hoof. "One had only to make a mere suggestion that the Princess had some sort of test in mind to make her completely lose it."

"I had to be prepared!" Twilight cried. "I was still her student at the time."

"Even in such mundane matters as writing equipment, she went a bit overboard. I mean, really, three sets of normal quills, four 'lucky quills', and sixteen emergency backup quills!"

"And each one was cross-indexed according to what mishap caused me to have to use them," said Twilight. "In case the residual magical resonance of the accident affected the writing surface such that it became sensitized to what kind of spells were written with the quill prior to--"

Her words were drowned out by laughter from Starlight and Rarity. Twilight managed a small smile but blushed harder.

"Apologies for the laugh at your expense," said Rarity.

"It's fine," Twilight said, her smile widening. "But I guess I see your point."

"Hearing that story did help a bit," said Starlight. "In fact, it would be great if Rarity would come along with us."

"As much as I would love to, my main reason for coming to Canterlot was to see how my boutique is doing," said Rarity. "But I'll come along as far as the palace, if for no other reason than to see the latest fashion trends among the nobility."

"If it helps any, I'll likely be monopolizing Celestia's time a bit," said Twilight. "I want to hear everything about how her negotiations went."

"Is there really much to them?" Starlight asked. "Thorax seemed pretty willing to be friends."

"There are more changeling hives than the one Chrysalis ruled," said Twilight. "Celestia decided to see if the other hives would allow her to approach and open relations with them now that Chrysalis' influence is gone."

"I will be very happy to hear that things have gone well," said Rarity.

"So will I," said Twilight with a smile. "That will be the last real outside threat to Equestria."

Starlight turned her head. "Really? You mean, Equestria will have no real enemies after that?"

"None of any power to speak of. The Griffon Kingdom is an ally thanks to Rainbow and Pinkie's earlier efforts. The dragons are interested in peaceful coexistence with ponies, thanks to their new leader. Finally, Cadance and Shining Armor just wrapped up a trade pact with Yakyakistan."

"Is it true the griffons threatened war once?" Rarity asked.

"Yes, that's true," said Twilight. "The worst of it was when I was just a foal, before I was Princess Celestia's student. I was a bit too young to really remember what was going on at the time." She hesitated. "I tend not to want to think about it."

Starlight raised an eyebrow. "Why not?"

"It brings back bad memories."

"But I don't understand," said Rarity. "You just said you were too young to remember it."

Twilight sighed. "Yes, but I did a paper on it once and ... I ... got a bad grade."

Starlight smirked. "You? Get a bad grade?"

"I know, I know! Don't rub it in!"

Rarity gave Twilight a suspicious look. "How bad was this 'bad' grade?"

Twilight shivered hard. "A-minus," she whispered.

Starlight and Rarity gave her a deadpan look.

Twilight swung her gaze between them. "What?"

Rarity smiled. "Nothing, dear."

Starlight grinned. "You know what? I'm just not as worried about this high tea anymore."

Twilight smiled. "Well, good, I knew you'd come around eventually."

Rarity and Starlight looked at each other over Twilight's barrel and winked.


Some of Starlight's resolve wavered as they trotted the wide hallways inside the palace, armed pegasus guards lining each side, their eyes tracking her carefully. Starlight looked down at her hooves and muttered, "Why do hoof-steps always echo ominously in places like this?"

"What was that, Starlight?" Twilight asked.

"Oh, nothing," said Starlight as the doors to Celestia's Day Court loomed ahead. "Um, you sure she won't be busy or something? Maybe we should come back later."

Twilight chuckled. "Princess Celestia set this up herself. She would be sure to clear her calendar." Twilight pointed. "See? No more nobles waiting their turn. The last one is probably finishing up now."

Starlight nervously waved a hoof. "Oh, well, then, maybe this noble has a long and complicated agenda, and he'll take ages to--"

The doors burst open, and a unicorn wearing the colors of Canterlot nobility cantered past them.

"Or ... not," Starlight concluded in a weak voice.

Twilight smiled. "Come on, let's not keep her waiting."

Starlight cantered to catch up with Twilight. With reluctance she swept her gaze forward and to the throne, yet instead of the gleaming alabaster white diarch of Equestria, her eyes beheld midnight blue.

Twilight stopped short. "Princess Luna?"

Luna smiled. "Good day, Twilight, Starlight. Please, come in."

"As much as I'm glad to see you, what are you doing here?" Twilight asked.

Luna rose to her hooves and approached, her astral mane trailing out behind her. "Filling in for my sister. She was delayed when her negotiations ran into a bit of trouble. She sends her regrets for missing tea with you and Starlight."

Starlight breathed a sigh of relief and smiled. "It's no trouble, really!"

"Well, that's a shame," said Twilight. "Is she okay?"

"Indeed, she is," said Luna. "She simply needed another day. She will be back this evening and has rescheduled tea for tomorrow."

"Oh, then all we have to do is return to Canterlot tomorrow," said Twilight brightly. "Isn't that great, Starlight?"

Starlight's smile faded. "Yeah. Great."

"Normally, I would be delighted to take Tia's place and have tea with you," said Luna. "But my sister asked me to review a copy of the Yakyakistan trade pact. Cadance is anxious to see it approved in Canterlot."

"Of course, I understand," said Twilight. "I'm sure we can find something else to do today."

Luna nodded. "Thank you for understanding, Twilight. It's good to see you again. And you as well, Starlight."

Twilight turned away from Luna. "Let's see if we can find Rarity. She may still be downstairs."

They indeed found their fashionista friend chatting with a member of the nobility. Her eyes widened as she saw Twilight and Starlight. She immediately excused herself and cantered up to them. "Is something the matter?"

"Princess Celestia is delayed," said Twilight. "She won't be back until tomorrow, so she had to reschedule."

Rarity smiled. "While I'm sure you're a bit disappointed, this is an absolutely fabulous opportunity! After I finish up my visit to the boutique, we can make a day of it here in Canterlot."

"Yes, I agree!"

"Um, doing what, exactly?" asked Starlight.

"Why, shopping, of course!" said Rarity.

"Why, reading, of course!" declared Twilight at the same time.

Starlight glanced between them. "Um ..."

Rarity turned to Twilight. "Did I hear you right? Reading?"

"This would be a perfect time to visit the Canterlot Archives," said Twilight with a smile.

Rarity face-hoofed. "One does not come to Canterlot of all places to spend one's time with dusty old books."

"Those books are not dusty! The curator there maintains them very well."

"Darling, you're missing the point."

"But I could show Starlight the complete history behind the whole high tea ceremony," said Twilight.

"Ceremony?" Starlight said.

"When it used to be an excuse for a behind-closed-doors highly-charged political debate--"

Starlight's eyes widened.

"Or back before that when sometimes it was used to judge and decide sentence on those committing certain crimes against the state that--"

"What?!" cried Starlight.

"Or before that, when it was used to decide the fate of--"

"You know what?" Starlight declared. "Shopping it is!"

Twilight's ears drooped as she uttered a long sigh.

Rarity chuckled and stepped alongside Twilight. "After our little shopping excursion, I promise to show you something that will satisfy your unceasing quest for knowledge."

"Oh?" Twilight said.

"Something Sassy Saddles had told me she had stumbled upon the day before while looking for a new restaurant to try ..."


Twilight looked on in awe at the towering spires of immaculate white as they rose on either side of a wide stone street. The area remained largely deserted despite the hour being one of the busiest of the morning in Canterlot. Sunlight glinted off large windows whose tops were fashioned into high, sweeping arches. Roofs soared to tapering points of glittering metal and glass. Hooves clicked against colored stone done in mosaics of Celestia's and Luna's cutie marks.

"I don't think I've ever seen this place!" Twilight said in amazement. "Even in all the time I was here as Celestia's student."

Starlight shielded her eyes with a fore-leg from the glare of light off a window. "I didn't think they made buildings in this style anymore."

"They don't," said Rarity as she trotted ahead of them. She waved a fore-hoof at the nearest building. "Many of these were built very soon after Canterlot's founding. The nobility once lived here." She pointed to a rooftop. "They would fly flags with their family crests at the tops of those spires."

Noting a distinct lack of such flags, Twilight asked, "They don't live here anymore?"

"Oh, no, darling, not with today's breed of nobles insisting on everything being new and modern. They look down their muzzles at this 'old style rich.'"

"Well, that's just silly!" Starlight said. "I would love to live here."

"Even somepony as fashion-conscious as me realizes that sometimes old is best," said Rarity.

"Does anypony live here now?" said Twilight.

"Certainly. There are some businessponies with a taste for the old school. The official name of this street now is Old Canterlot Way."

"Yes, I have heard about this place after all," said Twilight excitedly. "I think my family knew some ponies who lived in this part of town when I was a foal."

Rarity smiled. "If it were me, I would've been quite jealous of my fellow foals who had the privilege of living here."

Twilight chuckled. "Not me. I would've been upset if my parents had moved here, assuming they could afford it."

"Are you kidding me?" Starlight said. "You'd pass up a chance to live where nobles once did?"

"While this place does look nice and quiet -- perfect for reading and studying -- it's simply way too far from the library. Not only that, but ... um ..."

Twilight stopped trotting. Starlight and Rarity continued on a few steps before realizing their companion had fallen behind. They turned towards her as Rarity said, "Something the matter?"

Twilight frowned and looked around. "Don't you feel that?"

Her companions exchanged a look before Starlight said, "Feel what?"

"That very odd magical resonance."

Starlight stepped over to her and looked around. She finally shrugged and shook her head.

"I don't feel anything odd at all," said Rarity.

"Hmm." Twilight lighted her horn. After a moment's concentration, she turned around and faced one of the smaller spires, which she trotted towards. "It's coming from that way and up."

Starlight followed. "Wait, now I can feel it. You're right, that is odd."

Rarity joined them. "I fear I must take your combined word for it, as it still escapes me."

Starlight turned to Twilight. "What do you suppose it is?"

"I don't know," said Twilight. She unfolded her wings and flew up until she was about three stories from the ground. She thrust a hoof forward. "There! It's coming from whatever room is on the other side of that wall."

"Now I am noting something rather strange about this place, and it has nothing to do with magic," said Rarity. "Where are the windows?"

Twilight flew a complete circle around the building. "You're right! There's not a single window, as if the place was sealed up somehow."

"That's not all," said Starlight. She pushed her hoof against the air just short of the front door. It went no further than the length of a fetlock before magic glared and rippled. "It's not just sealed physically."

Twilight flew to the ground and lighted her horn again. "She's right, this place has been magically sealed as well."

"Can you break the seal?"

"I could, but I'm not sure I should. Things get sealed like this for a reason."

Rarity stepped up. "And doesn't that reason usually involve something dangerous?"

"Yes, which is what makes this very strange," said Twilight. "There should be royal guards here, or some other form of official presence."

Starlight prodded the seal again. "Maybe somepony sealed it up and then just forgot about it."

Twilight turned to the others. "I better ask Princess Luna before I proceed any further. If there is a reason for this, she'll likely know."

Rarity smiled gently. "Maybe it's nothing to be worried about."

"Normally I'd agree with you if I could identify the magic I'm sensing," said Twilight. "Where it's completely foreign to me, I'm a little worried."

"Could Discord be up to his usual shenanigans?"

"I doubt it. I know chaos magic when I see it, and this isn't it." Twilight glanced down the street. "We should go back to the palace and see what we can find out."

"I'll take a rain check on that," said Rarity. "I still have a few things I want to finish up at the boutique."

"I'll come along," said Starlight.

Twilight smiled. "Thanks. Let's go."


Princess Luna paced the width of the throne room, looking thoughtful. "Old Canterlot Way, you said?"

"Yes, house number five-eight," said Twilight.

"I cannot recall that address off the top of my head," said Luna. "But then again, if that place was sealed before I returned from the moon, I would not be privy to it."

"Surely there has to be some sort of record about it," Starlight suggested.

Luna turned to face them. "That is exactly what I was thinking. My sister is a stickler for detail, especially concerning things such as this."

"So you don't think it's likely somepony simply forgot about it?" said Twilight.

Luna trotted forward and bid them to follow. "Very unlikely." Her horn glowed, and the doors to the throne room opened. The guards to either side bowed as she passed. "But we'll soon find out, as anything of this nature would be recorded in the public works section of the Royal Archive."

"Royal Archive?" Starlight asked.

"It's a special section of the general Canterlot Archives," said Twilight. "Concerned mainly with the day-to-day functioning of government."

Luna nudged open a set of tall gleaming metal gates with her magic, her hooves soon echoing against shiny tile in the subdued light. On either side, huge bookcases rose from floor to ceiling, and the aroma of old paper and cloth bindings hung heavy in the air.

Twilight smiled as she took a deep breath. "Ah, this brings back so many memories."

Starlight smirked. "To me, it just smells musty in here, but, whatever."

"Master Archivist!" Luna's voice rang out, but silence was the only response. She sighed and shook her head. "While Master Wordy Scroll is an excellent archivist, he is getting on in years and sometimes forgets to put on his hearing aid. I suggest you cover your ears."

Starlight blinked. "Cover my ears? Why--?"

"MASTER ARCHIVIST! THOU HAST VISITORS IN NEED OF ASSISTANCE! THY TIMELY ARRIVAL WOULD BE MOST APPRECIATED BY US!"

Starlight quivered with her forelegs crossed tight over her head until the floor stopped shaking in the wake of the Royal Canterlot Voice. Twilight hid a smile behind her hoof.

The sound of galloping hooves approached, and soon a somewhat wrinkled old unicorn stallion with a brown coat and graying mane and tail skidded to a halt, both the hearing horn strapped to his head and his thick glasses almost tumbling to the floor. Age spots were scattered about his cutie mark, that of a long scroll completely filled with writing. "Yes, yes! Terribly sorry, Your Highness! I was simply nap -- er, I mean, cataloging! Yes, that's it!"

Starlight planted a hoof to her muzzle to suppress a giggle.

Wordy Scroll's horn glowed, and he pushed his glasses up his muzzle. He gasped in delight. "Oh, my, is that little Twily?"

Twilight chuckled as she stepped forward. "Not so little anymore, but yes, it's me. I had no idea you had been promoted to Master Archivist. I'm very happy for you."

Wordy beamed. "Thank you, Twily. Oh, I mean, Princess!"

Twilight laughed. "You can keep calling me Twily. I don't put on airs for old friends."

"You are simply too kind," said Wordy. "Now, what I can do for you all?"

"We wish to know about a location in the older section of Canterlot," said Luna. "Fifty-eight Old Canterlot Way."

Wordy looked thoughtful. "Well, nothing about it rings a bell, but let's see what we can find."

They followed him further into the library, where Wordy stopped seemingly at random before a bookcase. He looked up, his horn glowing as he plucked a book from among a hundred or so of its companions. "This is the residence manifest for that house," said Wordy as he laid the book on a reading lectern.

"Would this have a record if the place was sealed for any reason?" said Twilight.

"Yes, it would note that, Twily, but the actual sealing order would be elsewhere in the archive."

"The place is indeed sealed," said Luna. "Please find that sealing order for us."

Wordy was already backing away and nodding. "At once, Princess."

Luna opened the book with a glow from her horn as Twilight and Starlight stepped up. "Wow, look at some of these names in the first few pages!" Twilight said with delight. "I recognize the old noble families from Canterlot's founding."

"You would," Starlight said with a wry grin.

"Likely the last few pages are more relevant," said Luna before turning to the back. "Here. The last recorded time that this address was occupied was ... hmm."

"Just over twenty years ago, about when I was still a foal," Twilight said in surprise. She leaned forward and read the name of the pony who last lived there: Night Moonglow. "This name is not familiar to me."

Starlight stepped up and read the name. "Me, neither, but I'm not as up on Canterlot history as you are."

"But there's no record of it being sealed," Twilight said.

Luna frowned and turned a page back. "Nor for the previous resident. Or before that."

They glanced to the side as less eager hoof-steps approached and a glum Wordy appeared. "I'm terribly sorry, Princess, but I cannot find any sort of order for a seal on that residence."

Luna raised an eyebrow. "Are you certain?"

"Positive, Princess!"

"Could it have been misfiled?"

Wordy frowned. "A very outside possibility, but I wouldn't get your hopes up."

Luna turned away from the lectern. "I do not know what to make of this."

"Should we investigate?" said Twilight.

Luna glanced towards Wordy. "Thank you, Master Archivist. We'll be taking our leave now."

"Of course," said Wordy. "Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance."

"It's fine, Wordy," said Twilight with a soft smile. "I'll come back to visit soon and we can talk more."

Wordy smiled. "I'd like that, Twily, thank you!"

"I would hold off on doing anything just yet," said Luna as they entered the hallway. "Let me speak to my sister when she returns this evening. If anypony would know about it, she would. If not, I am sure she will be happy to let you get to the bottom of this."


"Looks like Rarity already left for the train station," said Starlight as she and Twilight stepped out of the Canterlot Boutique.

"It's too bad we have to head home," said Twilight. She sighed and glanced up at the sun. "I really wish we could stay until Celestia is back and can give us the go-ahead."

Starlight smiled. "Hey, I'm interested too. I want in on this."

"Of course. You think I would leave my student out of it?"

Starlight flicked her eyes to the side. "Well, you did seem to be going heavy on the friendship lessons and light on the magic lately. This sounds like something I can really tear into!" Starlight chuckled. "So to speak."

Twilight smiled. "I'm actually a bit eager myself for something interesting to investigate. I wonder if we should start with that last name on the residence roster, Night Moonglow."

Starlight tilted her head. "You mean Night Moonshine."

"No, it was definitely Moonglow."

Starlight frowned. "No it wasn't. It was Moonshine."

Twilight chuckled. "Now, Starlight, no offense, but I have a very good head for detail, especially considering my years of learning, and I tell you it was Moonglow."

"I don't care what kind of head you have, it was still Moonshine," Starlight declared.

"You're not going to let this go, are you?"

Starlight rolled her eyes. "You're right, it's not that important. Never mind."

"Except you still think I'm wrong."

"Well, yeah, because you are."

"But I'm not!"

"Twilight, it doesn't matter!" said Starlight.

"I can't stand the idea that you think I'm wrong." Twilight abruptly turned away and cantered towards the palace. "Let's go."

"Huh?" Starlight galloped to catch up. "Where are we going?"

"Back to the archives. I'm going to prove this to you."

"But we'll miss the train!"

"I'll teleport us to the station!" Twilight cried. "Now, come on!"

Starlight sighed and shook her head. "Whatever."


Twilight stood at the lectern, her mouth dropped open, her pupils shrunk as she stared at the book before her. "I ... but ... how ...?!"

Starlight gave her teacher a satisfied smirk as she leaned a foreleg on the lectern and propped her head up with a hoof. She reached over with her other fore-hoof and tapped the page. "So what does it say there, o learned one?"

Twilight closed her mouth and frowned. "Night Moonshine."

"As I had said."

Twilight whipped her head towards her student. "But that's not what it said before!"

"Oh, come on, Twilight. Just admit that you're wrong and I'm right."

Twilight turned away from the book. "I agree that you're right in that Moonshine is what the book says now. But I'm positive it said Moonglow when I first read it."

"So you're saying someone edited the book in the two seconds it took between when you read it and I did?"

"With a properly crafted spell, yes, that's possible."

"Well, do you detect any magic like that on the book?"

Twilight looked back to the book. Her horn glowed, and she soon uttered a long sigh. "No."

"And why would anypony do something like that in the first place?" said Starlight.

"For the same reason there's no record of that building being sealed, to hide something."

Starlight glanced at the book and closed it with a nudge of magic. "Well, we're not going to find anything here. We ought to head back to Ponyville and wait for word from Princess Celestia."

"I suppose you're right," said Twilight. In a more contrite tone she said, "I apologize, Starlight, for doubting you."

Starlight turned away from the lectern, her fore-hooves clopping to the floor. "Eh, it's all right. Just promise me that we'll work on this together, okay?"

Twilight smiled. "Of course. I wouldn't have it any other way."


Princess Celestia paused with the fork levitated halfway to her mouth. Outside, the moon hung low over the horizon, having just been raised by her sister. Finally, she slowly put down the fork, the morsel of dinner untouched.

Already, Luna had tilted her head at her sister's reaction, watching her carefully across the dining table. "Is something the matter, Tia?"

"No," Celestia said in a quiet voice. "I was merely thinking."

"So you know of this address?"

Celestia hesitated and glanced away for a moment. "I do."

Luna nodded. When nothing more was forthcoming, she prompted, "And?"

"And it's nothing for you to concern yourself with."

Luna blinked. "Well. That was unexpected."

Celestia managed a small smile, but her sister knew her well enough to tell it was forced. "Let me rephrase, please. It concerns something which happened while you were ... indisposed on the moon. Therefore, I don't believe you need to be worried about it."

"Twilight is worried about it," said Luna.

Celestia sighed, and her smile turned wistful. "Yes, she would be. I can assure you both that it is fully under control and needs no further investigation."

"So you do know why this residence was sealed?"

"Yes."

Another silence. Luna sighed. "And??"

Celestia picked up her fork again in her magic. "And there's nothing more to say on the matter."

"Except, perhaps, to explain to your own sister what this is all about."

Celestia paused to chew her bite of dinner, perhaps excessively as the tension hung in the air between them. "It's not something I'm prepared to discuss at the moment."

"So you will eventually tell me?" Luna said hopefully.

"I will. I just need to make a few discreet inquiries first."

Luna slowly nodded. "Twilight was concerned about the kind of energy she had detected."

Celestia hesitated before saying in a wary voice, "Did she identify those energies?"

"No, and that was her concern." Luna frowned. "Frankly, it is my concern as well."

"Twilight may be an alicorn and extremely well-versed in magic, but there are still things she does not know," Celestia declared. "And sometimes they are things that ought not to be known."

"I doubt that will sit well with her."

"Nevertheless, it is as things are," said Celestia. "Do you know there is a theory that states that Discord's existence is due to unicorn mages who themselves experimented with chaos magic? Supposedly, they accidentally gated him into our plane when they pushed things too far."

Luna raised an eyebrow. "That's a rather fringe theory, Tia."

"I use it merely as an example, dear Luna. My point is, just because something can be done doesn't mean it should. That is largely what this is about, and I implore you to trust my judgment in this matter."

"As much as I don't like being in the dark, I do trust you," said Luna. "But I hope I do not have to wait long for an explanation."

"I will speed this along as much as possible," said Celestia. "To be honest, it would be nice to have somepony to speak to about this."


As the moon climbed to its zenith, and as Luna slipped deep into the collective dreamscape of ponykind, Celestia opened her eyes to the darkness of her room.

She lifted her head, and without looking in that direction, she cast a silence charm on the door so that her ever-vigilant guards would not hear her stir. She alighted to her hooves, which clicked softly in the dark. Her heart raced as she prepared herself.

A moment's concentration, a brief blaze of her horn, and space folded around her. In an instant, she left the calm air of her chamber for the cool, stiff breeze that blew between the buildings of Old Canterlot Way and lightly ruffled her fur. She had not even reopened her eyes before she cast a charm around her that would make her fade into the background to anypony who happened to spot her.

Celestia felt a sharp pang in her heart as she raised her eyes to the top of the sealed building. She stepped forward, the seal parting to let her by and re-sealing behind her. She lifted a fore-hoof and hovered it for a moment above the first step before she extended her wings instead. She flew up to the third floor, the smell of dust only just barely hiding the lingering odors of chemicals and magical plasma.

Celestia lighted her horn, casting a pale radiance on blank walls and the dust-choked floor. She let out a sigh as she swept her sad gaze around her.

She advanced into a room where the mere smells of old magic were joined by a tangible force, detectable only to Celestia. Or at least that's what it should have been; that it wasn't was why she was there.

Celestia took a deep breath, steeled herself, and cast the spell.

Where an empty space had been, now a large, glowing tear ripped across the room. The light glistened in Celestia's widening eyes as she beheld exactly what she had hoped not to see. For two decades, these energies has been waning. Now, they were surging again.

Celestia dispelled her magic, and the room became empty and unremarkable once more.

She took a deep breath and set her eyes hard. "Fine," she said softly to the empty room. "Now that you know something is very wrong, Celestia, what are you going to do about it?"

The empty room had no reply, and neither did she.

PreviousChapters Next