• Published 6th Jan 2017
  • 6,761 Views, 304 Comments

Flash Sentry, Defender of the Peace S1 - Banshee531



Begins one week after The Element of Courage. Follows the first season with both canon and non-canon events

  • ...
12
 304
 6,761

Bridle Gossip

It was another glorious day in Ponyville, though we do not open there. Instead, we are on the edge of the Everfree Forest, where Flash was hovering a few feet off the ground. Lightbringer was in his hooves, glistening in the sunlight that cracked through the trees. His partner Springer stood a ways away, surrounded by ropes tied to a log in front of him.

"Okay bud," Flash said as he clenched his blade in his hoof, "let her rip."

"Right," Springer nodded before unsheathing one of his claws and using it to cut through the ropes. When it snapped, they both heard the chain reaction and seconds later, something dropped out of the trees. It was a large rock linked to a tree heading straight towards the orange pegasus.

Seeing this, a smile shined on Flash's face as smiled he quickly spun around, swinging his now glowing Celestic Gear. "Flash Cutter!" he yelled as he swiped the air with his blade. In doing so, an orange coloured energy blade flew through the air and hit the rock, shattering it to pieces.

However, the danger was far from over as Springer cut two more ropes, releasing a pair of logs that came flying down, ready to crush Flash in between them. "Flash Vortex!" Flash called out as he twirled around, sending out a long rope of energy from his blade. As the energy struck both logs, it cut them to ribbons. In response, Springer cut yet another rope. However, instead of something swinging down, a wooden catapult shot a large rock towards Flash.

"Flash Driver!" Flash pointed his sword and began spinning in the air. As he began to pick up speed, the sword glowed its usual magnificent light until a mini tornado of light appeared within, striking the rock and cutting a hole right through it.

"Not bad," Springer said with a cocky grin, "now try this." He cut every rope, releasing everything at Flash. The stallion didn't look a bit worried as he looked down at his blade.

Pointing the crossguard at the largest patch of debris, he took a deep breath and yelled. "FLASH FORCE!" A lazer flew out of the weapon, disintegrating everything as he spun around, hitting every piece of the debris. As he destroyed every last target, dust began to gather from the attack, causing a giant cloud to be formed around him. Springer coughed as he waved his paws, trying to clear the dust. As he managed to get closer to his partner, he saw Flash just stroll out of the cloud with a smirk on his face.

“So, what do you think?”

“Not bad. A little dusty for my tastes though.” Springer joked as the two shared a laugh as Flash put away his new weapon.

Later on, we find the two stepping out of the forest and on their way back to town.

"You've really mastered your Celestic Gear Flash," Springer commented as he rode on Flash's back. “I still can't believe the amount of aura that thing packs though.”

"Thanks," Flash replied as he looked at the weapon with a smile of pride, "but I've still got a long way to go until I can say I've mastered it."

"If you say so," Springer remarked before his ears suddenly flared up. “What the-”

"You sensing something bud?"

"Yeah," Springer replied, "something new. Something...strange." He looked around and pointed to the right, "it's coming from over there.”

The two quickly turned towards that direction, soon ending up near the path into the forest that Flash and the girls had taken when they went to find the Elements of Harmony. "I don't see anything new. Are you sure?"

"It's here," Springer said before he pointed at the path, "look!"

The two quickly hid behind a tree, trying to see what Springer was sensing. A few moments later, they saw somepony step out of the forest, traversing the path that led into town. Flash's eyes widened at the sight since he knew the Everfree Forest is not something anypony goes in and out of. Unfortunately, he couldn't tell much about the newcomer since their entire body was hidden beneath a hooded cloak.

"Never seen that pony before," Flash commented before looking at Springer, "what can you tell from their aura? Are they bad?"

"I have no idea. The aura of that pony feels kinda...funny.”

"Funny how?"

"It's kind of like Pinkie's," Springer explained, "but less insane and more...I don't know, mysterious maybe? I'm not sure. Its really strange."

“We'd better keep an eye on them, just to be sure. We'll have to keep our distance, but it shouldn't be too much of a problem." Flash said with a small gulp. He didn't like hearing the idea of somepony else with Pinkie's aura or something similar to it. She was a hoofful already.

And so, the two took to the skies, following the strange new pony. They kept a safe but reasonable distance. The figure started to confuse them after a bit since they would just stroll around, stopping every now and then to just stomp around. The two friends looked at each other, still not understanding. Landing a bit away from the figure, the two then commented on something else. Strangely, the town was completely empty, which was unusual for this time of day.

“Um Flash...what is this?”

“I don't know buddy. I don't know...”

"Flash," his highly tuned ears picked up on a whisper, "Springer," it went again.

Throwing his head around, he spotted a familiar pink pony, sticking her head out the window of Sugarcube Corner.

"Pinkie?" he asked as he quickly trotted over.

"Get in," she whispered, "hurry." Before he could ask what was happening, he was grabbed by a set of pink hooves and yanked into the shop. After adjusting for a second, he soon noticed he and his partner was far from alone. All of his friends, along with Apple Bloom were hiding in the dark inside Sugarcube Corner.

"You too huh?" Flash looked around to see Twilight with a frown on her face.

"You guys mind explaining what the hay is going on?" Flash asked as he got up.

"No clue," Twilight deadpanned, "all I know is it has something to do with that cloaked figure outside."

"Who is that anyway?" Flash asked, "I've been trailing them for some time and...I thought we'd met everypony who lived in town."

Apple Bloom shot up to him, "that's...Zecora."

"Apple Bloom!" AJ almost yelled, "I told you never to say that name."

"Who's Zecora?" Flash asked.

"She's mysterious," Fluttershy said.

"And sinister," Rainbow added.

"And spooky," Pinkie finished.

Flash and Twilight just shared a confused glance, before staring out the window where Zecora was. She finished stomping on the ground before going up to her hood and pulling it down, revealing a gray pony with black streaks on her face and a black and white striped mane.

"Is that," Flash said, "a zebra?"

"A what?!" almost everyone asked.

"A zebra," Flash answered, "Grand Hoof told me about them. He met a herd of them during his travels in his youth, though he never said much about them. Though I gotta say, she looks just like he described."

"Yeah," Twilight agreed as she looked Zecora over, "that's definitely a zebra. I've read about them as well."

"Just look at those stripes though," Rarity said in disgust, "so garish."

"That's not a fashion choice Rarity. Remember what Flash just said about how they look?" Twilight told Rarity with a deadpan stare, "she was born with them."

Rarity literally fainted at that, causing Flash to facehoof.

"Born where?" Applejack asked, her whole body shivering at the conversation. "I've never seen a pony like that in these parts...except her..."

"Well she's probably not from here," Twilight said bluntly.

"Yeah, I agree. Grand Hoof said zebras live in a far off land. If I remember correctly, they usually live in places where they can find magical herbs that they can use in their potions."

"Potions?" Fluttershy asked.

"I knew it," Pinkie exclaimed as she hopped into the air, her eyes growing to the size of dinner plates. "she makes evil concoctions that she's gonna use against us!"

"No," Flash said rolling his eyes, "potions are like medicine, or beauty produces except they use magical ingredients."

"Say, where does she live anyway?" Twilight asked.

"That's just it," Applejack's teeth rattled as she said her next words, "she lives in...the Everfree Forest!" In that moment there was a loud crashing sound, making everypony jump.

"Spike!" Twilight called out.

"Springer!" Flash yelled. “What are you two doing in there?!”

In the kitchen was the two non-pony creatures, muffins and candy in their paws and claws, having just knocked everything down by accident.

"Sorry," Spike said.

"Our bad," Springer barked.

"The Everfree Forest just ain't natural," Applejack continued, "the plants grow."

"Animals care for themselves," Fluttershy agreed.

"And the clouds move," Rainbow finished before she, Applejack and Fluttershy said in unison, "all on their own!"

At that moment, Rarity got up, only to faint again.

"Seriously?!" Flash grumbled as him and Twilight looked at each other with looks of scepticism.

"And that evil enchantress Zecora lives there doing her evil...stuff," Pinkie whispered as her eyes kept changing into weird colors, "she's so wicked and evil that I even wrote a song about her." Pinkie took a deep breath, but before she could start singing, Flash placed a hoof in her mouth.

"I don't think we need to hear that," he deadpanned, making Pinkie deflate at not getting to sing.

"So apart from being a little strange to look at," Twilight asked with a slight hiss, "what exactly have you actually seen Zecora do?"

"Well," Rainbow said while fiddling with her hooves, "once a month she comes into Ponyville."

"Stop the presses," Flash joked.

"Then," Rarity continued, "she lurks by the stores."

"Oh my," Twilight said sarcastically. “How horrible.”

"And then," Fluttershy said, "she digs at the ground."

"So in other words," Flash said with another facehoof, "this 'evil' Zecora does exactly the same thing I've seen all of you do before. You're joking right?"

"Yeah," Apple Bloom nodded in agreement, "maybe she's just trying to be neighbourly."

"And maybe she's not lurking around the stores," Twilight said, "maybe she's going to them, lurk free, to do some shopping."

"Yeah," Apple Bloom agreed, "everypony likes to shop. You know what I think?"

"Apple Bloom," Applejack interrupted, "hush and let the big ponies talk."

"This is ridiculous," Flash said, "have any of you even said two words to her?"

"And give her the chance to bewitch us?" Pinkie said, "no way!”

Flash rolled his eyes, before turning to the door.

"Where are you going?" Rainbow asked.

"To talk to Zecora," Flash said, "I don't know about you lot, but I like to get to know somepony before I judge them. Even if it isn't a pony."

"No!" Pinkie yelled before leaping at him and wrapping herself around his legs. "Don't do it Flash! She'll turn you into ingredients for her next evil brew!"

"I'll take my chances," Flash said before shaking her off and flying out the door. A second later, he looked back inside at Twilight. “Oh, and could you look after Springer for me?”

“Sure.” Twilight nodded.

“Thanks.”

He quickly rushed over to where he had last seen Zecora and found her a few hundred feet away, stomping at the ground. Dusting off his wings from his landing, he tried to summon his smile as he trotted up to her.

"Excuse me," he called out to the zebra, who looked up and smiled at him.

"Greetings pony of orange and blue," she replied, "a pleasure to be meeting you."

"Name's Flash. You're uh...Zecora right?"

Zecora nodded with a smile. "That of course is my name, but since you asked it, I must have fame."

"Er yeah," Flash said while scratching his head, "sorry about that. There are good ponies here, but they're easily scared by things they don't understand."

"Understandable," Zecora replied, "though I wish it were more explainable."

Flash nodded before looking down at the ground, "I was wondering, what's with the whole stomping on the ground thing?"

"A simple test to check the soil," Zecora replied with a small grin, "searching for problems that may make it spoil."

"Ground pollution?" Flash guessed.

Zecora nodded, before away from the area with Flash following. "The Everfree Forest stems with wonder, but without care, it can turn a sunder."

"I guess," Flash said, not sure what to say.

Meanwhile, back at Sugarcube Corner, the girls were watching Flash and Zecora converse. That is, till the two started to walk away together.

"Where's he going?" Rainbow asked.

"You see," Pinkie exclaimed while pulling out a sign in her mane that said 'He's doomed!', "he's bewitched I tell you! He's bewitched!"

"Don't be ridiculous," Twilight groaned, "I'm sure they're just having a conversation...and going towards the Everfree Forest."

“Worried yet Twilight?” Applejack interjected with a smug grin.

While the older ponies were arguing, Apple Bloom looked over at where Flash and Zecora had headed and made a decision before stepping out the door.

A little while later, the two were nearing the edge of the forest while Flash was telling Zecora about himself.

"A Royal Knight so you say?" Zecora said as she looked at his Celestic Gear on his side, "I must admit, you've come quite a way."

"I'm not a knight yet," Flash admitted with a small blush as they arrived at the forest, "I'm just an apprentice."

"I must admit this was quite fun. It was nice to meet a pony that does not shun."

"Rhyming aside, you're actually pretty cool," Flash said, "I promise I'll try and bring my friends next time. I just hope I can make them be...nice."

Zecora nodded and began to trek back into the Everfree Forest. Flash turned back towards town, only to hear some nearby shrubs rustling. Slowly making his way over to them, he prepared himself for an attacker. After a second of hesitation, he tackled the bush, catching the one inside the shrubbery. Unfortunately, behind the bush was a ravine, causing him to tumble down along with the one he caught. The two kept sliding down until they landed in a grove of blue plants.

"Gotcha!" Flash said, only to do a double take when he found who he'd attacked.

"Hi," Apple Bloom said sheepishly from under him.

"What the-what are you doing here?" Flash asked as he got up.

"I wanted to talk to Zecora too," the little filly said.

"APPLE BLOOM!" they both turned to see Applejack and the rest of the Mane Seven, running through the blue plants towards them. "What in the sam hill did you think you were doing?"

"I...I," Applebloom tried to say.

"Beware," they all looked around to see Zecora had spotted them, "beware you pony folk. Those leaves of blue are no joke."

"You keep yer creepy mumbo jumbo to yer self," Applejack yelled back.

"Beware," Zecora said before disappearing into the forest.

"You beware yourself," Rainbow yelled back as well.

"Would you guys knock it off!" Flash exclaimed, "you're being mean for no reason!"

"No reason?!" Applejack gasped as she pulled Apple Bloom close to her, "you call protecting your kin no reason?!"

"Applejack," she whined as she pushed her older sister away, "Stop it! I'm not a baby!"

"And you don't need to protect her from anything," Flash said, "Zecora's a nice zebra. A little weird, but she's good."

"That's just what she wants you to think," Pinkie said as she rushed up to Flash's face, her eyes extending out to where they almost touched his. "so she can trick you and turn you into her next meal!"

"Why are you so determined to class her as a bad guy?" Flash asked as he pushed Pinkie away.

"Well, why are you so determined not to class her as one?" Rarity countered.

"Because I was her," Flash said in a tone of both anger and sadness, "I was an outsider once. Before I met Twilight, I lived on the streets of Canterlot, doing anything I could to scrap by. I spent most of my life doing a lot things I'm not proud of. Most ponies saw me as some lowly street rat, including a certain unicorn."

Twilight looked at the ground with a sad look on her face. She still felt guilty at times about how she'd treated her best friend when they'd first met. Seeing this, Flash went up and nudged on the shoulder before continuing.

"It wasn't until they'd gotten to know me that things changed. Since then, I promised myself that I wouldn't judge anypony until I'd learned enough about them and it's a good thing I did."

"Why?" Pinkie asked.

"Because if I'd only judged you all the first time I met you, I probably wouldn't have liked half of you. Heck, I definitely wouldn't have gotten along with Twilight if I had done that."

Everypony's eyes went wide hearing this.

"But I didn't," Flash continued, "I waited until I got to know you and I got to see the real amazing ponies you all were." They all heard this and looked down at the ground as Flash's words swept over them. "I'm heading home," Flash said as he took to the skies, "just think about it." And with that he returned to Sugarcube Corner to pick up Springer before returning to the library, where they stayed for the rest of the day.


The next morning Flash was awakened by the sunlight as it broke through the window. Slowly getting up, he stretched out his body as a yawn flew out of his mouth. "Morning Springer," Flash said to the jakhowl, who was getting up himself.

"Morning," Springer replied, stretching before he turned to look at Flash and let out a cry of surprise.

"What is it?"

"Your hair," Springer said in shock a he pointed at Flash's mane.

Flash leaped out of bed the flew over to a mirror and looked at himself. Seeing the new sight, he rolled his eyes at the obvious prank. His hair was a mess, sticking out in several directions as it often did when Flash woke up in the morning. "It's bedhead buddy. Nothing to worry about."

"Its hideous," Springer joked before letting out a laugh.

"Don't make me add extra push ups to your exercise," Flash joked back. They soon prepared for their days work, but as they packed the last supply in Flash's saddlebag, a loud scream suddenly rang out, echoing through the room. "That's Twilight!" Flash said as he grabbed Lightbringer and ran out of the room, followed by Springer. "Twilight!" he yelled, looking around the room for any signs of danger, "We heard a scream! What's happening?!"

"My horn," Twilight cried as she stared at herself in the mirror, a look of horror on her face.

"What about your horn?" Flash asked, only to get his answer when Twilight turned around. "WHOA! That is...that is not right." Twilight's horn had gone all floppy and had blue spots covering it.

"What is happening?" she asked, obviously freaked out. “Why is this happening to me Flash?!”

"I have no idea," Flash almost whispered as he leaned over, taking a closer look at her horn, "is it some kind of allergic reaction? Have you eaten anything new recently?"

"No.”

"New hair products?"

"No! Be serious Flash!"

“But I am! You don't know what kind of-”

“Oh stop it!” Twilight yelled before pushing pass him and out of the room, heading down to the library. “I'll figure this out myself!”

"Hey! Come on Twilight, wait up," Flash groaned as he, Springer and the now-awakened Spike followed her. That morning, the four of them went through any book they thought might explain what was happening to Twilight. Unfortunately, despite their best efforts, they hadn't found a thing.

"No. No no no...no!" Twilight exclaimed as she looked through several books at light speed, "none of these books have a cure."

"Relax, we'll find something."

"There has to be an explanation for this," Twilight said, ignoring Flash. "and illness, an allergy?"

"A curse?" Spike asked with a sly grin.

"A curse? Yeah...sure Spike." Twilight barked back with another groan.

"How about this one?" Spike asked, showing her a green book with a plant on the cover.

"Supernaturals?" Twilight read off the cover, "Spike, the word supernatural refers to things like ghosts and spirits and zombies, which are make-believe like curses. This book is just a bunch of nonsense."

"But what if your wrong Twilight? What if this is a-"

"Per perese," hearing a sudden new voice, they all looked around only to see Pinkie Pie had entered, her tongue looking unusually swollen.

"A purse?" Spike replied, "how could it be a purse?"

"Pinkie?" Twilight said in shock as she went up to her now gibbering friend, "what happened?"

Pinkie tried to say something, but her extra large tongue made it impossible to say any intelligent words. All it did was bath them all in a rain of spit.

"Say it don't spray it," Spike said as he wiped the stuff off of him, while Springer shook like a dog to do so.

As they tried to understand her, a loud banging started happening outside, making them all turn to a window near the door. Looking through it, they saw Rainbow Dash, crashing head first into it. "She's-ow-trying to say-ow-Zecora-ow," she then smashed through the door, followed by Fluttershy. "She slapped us all with a-OW!" Rainbow hit a ladder and soon found herself trapped in it, "CURSE!"

"I'm afraid I have to agree," they looked around and saw Rarity, being directed by her sister Sweetie Belle, enter the building. Her hair was now overgrown into giant puffy locks that covered her entire body, making it impossible for her to see. "Thank you Sweetie," Rarity said as she sat down.

"What's happening to them?" Sweetie asked, turning to Flash.

"No idea," Flash replied. “This is definitely weird.”

"We told you," Rainbow said, her voice slightly increasing. "It's Zecora! She put a curse on us!"

Before anypony could reply, a tiny voice caught their attention. "Darn straight she put a curse on us," they all looked around and gasped at seeing Applejack, now barely a few inches tall, standing on Apple Bloom's back.

"But Fluttershy seems just fine," Twilight said as she pointed to her buttercup pegasus friend.

"Yes," Rarity agreed, "there doesn't seem to be a thing wrong with her."

Fluttershy however, just looked away, her mouth not opening. The others looked at each other and back at her, all curious looks on her face now.

"Fluttershy," Twilight said in a soft low tone, "are you okay?"

The yellow pegasus didn't say anything. She tried to sink into the floor from the questions.

"Did something happen to you too?"

Fluttershy nodded.

"Would you care to tell us?"

She shook her head no.

"So your not gonna tell us?"

She nodded.

"Yes you won't or yes you will?" Twilight asked, worry fully covering her face now.

"Good gravy girl," Mini-jack yelled in a tiny fit of anger, "what's wrong with you?!"

Fluttershy looked away and simply said, "I don't wanna talk about it." Her voice was even deeper then Big Mac's, making them all go wide eyed.

Spike couldn't take it anymore and started laughing. "This is hilarious!" he laughed, "look at all of you. We got Hairity, Rainbow Crash, Spitty Pie, Apple-teeny, Flutterguy and," Spike looked up and Twilight and gave a slight scowl, "I got nothing. Twilight Sparkle, I can't even work with that."

"This is no laughing matter," Flash deadpanned as he smacked Spike's head.

"I'll say," they turned to see Scootaloo enter, "you should see the damage Rainbow did to the town on her way here. She did more damage than Derpy usually does!"

"Okay," Flash grimaced as he heard those words. He had spent the last week helping repair a mess Derpy had made after knocking into a row of thunderclouds. He let out a small sigh and said, "we need to fix this."

"Then let's get to Zecora's," Rainbow yelled, "She did this and we'll make her undo this! Let me at her! I'll turn her inside out!"

"This has nothing to do with Zecora!" Flash barked back.

"Then how'd you explain this happening right after she said that voodoo chant?" Applejack countered.

"All I know is that unless you have some proof, I'm not letting you go and accuse ponies of casting curses."

"But you heard her," Rarity said with a lower tone, "that rhyme she did when she saw us."

"Do any of you actually remember what Zecora said?"

"Beware beware," they turned to Apple Bloom, "you pony folks. Those leaves of blue are not a joke."

"Leaves of blue?" Flash asked, thinking back to yesterday.

"Sounds like a threat to me," Rainbow growled as she tried to move, only to hit the floor again. “Ow...”

"It wasn't," Flash explained, making everypony look at him, "it was a warning."

"A warning about what?" Twilight asked.

"Remember that plant we walked through when you went to get Apple Bloom?" Flash asked as he pointed at the filly, "I bet they have something to do with what's happening."

"That's stupid," Rainbow said as she struggled to get up, "how can a plant do all of this? She cursed us Flash!"

"It's more likely then a curse," Twilight rubbed her chin as she put another book in front of her, "but how do we make sure? I mean, I've never seen anything like this."

"The only way to be sure is to find out more about that plant. Zecora was warning us, so I'm willing to bet she knows about them." Flash turned to walk out the door.

"And where might you be going?!" Applejack asked.

"I'm going to go find Zecora to ask about the plant and see if she knows anything about a cure."

"But what if you're wrong and it is a curse?" Spike asked, trying to still not giggle at the mares.

"Well, if it is a curse," Flash said while rolling his eyes. "What reason would she have to curse me?"

"What reason did she have to curse us?!" Rarity exclaimed while Pinkie spat out an agreeing amount of spit.

"Yeah," Flash scoffed, his voice dripping with sarcasm, "you girls totally didn't deserve this." He returned to the door, "everyone else, out." Spike, Springer, and the CMC walked out in unison.

"What about us?" Fluttershy asked, causing Spike to fall over in giggles again. This time, Springer hit him on the head.

"You girls are staying here," Flash said with a slight scowl, "if we're wrong and this has nothing to do with the flower or Zecora, we can't risk you guys infecting the town. So for now, you're all under quarantine."

"You can't do that," Applejack tried to yell.

"I'm kind of totally doing it. I'm the defender of peace around here and I have to protect the town. That includes keeping everypony sick-free." Flash replied before slamming the door shut.

"You honestly think they're gonna all stay in there?"

"Not on their own, but that's why I grabbed this from the kitchen." He held up a long cardboard box, which they all recognised.

"Plastic wrap?" Sweetie asked, "what's that gonna do?"

Flash took the wrap out of the box and held out an end. "Hold please," Sweetie did so and a second later, Flash was quickly flying around the treehouse. A few seconds later, he finished and everyone looked over his handy work as they saw the entire tree was now wrapped up in the plastic. "That should work for now."

"I'll say," Scootaloo said with a small hop. “That was cool.”

"Okay," Flash said as he rubbed his hooves, "I'm off to Zecora's. Spike, you head to the hospital and see if you can find somepony to come and make sure whatever this is isn't contagious."

"Right," Spike said with a salute.

"The rest of you, head home."

"WHAT?!" the girls screamed.

"You heard me. The Everfree Forest is dangerous. I'm not putting you three in danger."

"But...but," Apple Bloom said as she twiddled her hooves. “Mah sis and-”

"Now!" Flash ordered as he pointed to the other side of town. The three foals all frowned at this but turned to leave. "Good. Okay," Flash said once they were gone, "let's go Springer." With that, the jakhowl hopped on his back and the two rushed through town and into the forest. As they began to enter the den of trees, Flash glanced at Springer with a slight look of hesitation. “Okay bud, let's be careful. This forest is not a friendly place.”

"You don't have to tell me twice," Springer said, remembering how the two of them had first met.

"Keep your aura clear buddy. You're our first warning."

The two of them made their way through the forest, looking for any signs of Zecora's home. "It would help if there was a trail," Flash said as he used Lightbringer to cut through some vines.

"Or a sign," Springer agreed, causing Flash to chuckle and nod. However, there attention was pulled away from looking for Zecora's house when the sound of a snapping twig caught their ears.

"I thought you were sensing for anything?" Flash asked Springer as they spun around to the direction of the sound. “What's following us bud?”

"I was searching for vicious aura," Springer said with a slight gulp, "I don't sense any hostility."

"Alright," Flash took a deep breath as he readied Lightbringer and then called out, "come out here right now or I'll be forced to fire a magic blast your way."

They remained silent for a few moments, until there was a rustle from a nearby bush and to the two's shock, Apple Bloom stepped out. "What are you doing here?" Flash asked impatiently, marching up to her. “I told you to go home!”

"I'm sorry Flash," Apple Bloom whimpered as she tried to shrink into the ground from his yell, "I just wanted to help. This whole thing is mah fault."

"What gave you that idea?"

"The only reason mah sister and your friends were anywhere near that flower is because of me. I...I just wanted to make up for it." Applebloom started to form tears in her eyes, making Flash feel uncomfortable.

"Okay," Flash said, not able to take the water works from her tiny adorable filly face, "but you stay close to me, okay?"

"Okay!" Apple Bloom said in a sudden happy tone, her tears vanishing as she walked ahead of them.

"Wait-what?!" Flash replied before realising he'd been played.


The three continued their trek through the forest. Flash made them keep at least a mile from the edge until finally they found what they were looking for. Flash got a Golden Oaks Library vibe from the building they found, as it's design was similar to his home with it being a tree like design. Lanterns hung from it's branches and masks littered the outside.

"Is that it?" Apple Bloom asked with slight scepticism.

"I think so," Flash nodded, "but just to be safe, you two stay here. Watch her Springer." Saluting, Springer hopped off and stood by the filly. Flash slowly moved over to the building, walking up the steps and reaching the door, which he gave three great knocks on. He waited nervously, worried he'd knocked on the wrong door and put himself along with Springer and Apple Bloom in danger. Thankfully, those worries vanished when the door opened and a familiar zebra poked her head out.

"Greetings once again young Sentry," she said as she opened her door, "please make entry."

Flash sighed in relief, before turning back to his friends and waving them over with his wing. "Come on you two, it's cool."

He walked in, followed by Springer and Apple Bloom who he introduced to Zecora.

"Charmed to make your acquaintance," Zecora nodded with a small grin, "now, what do I owe your appearance?"

"We think you might know what's going on with my sister and her friends. They all have weird things happening to them." Apple Bloom explained what each affliction had happened to Twilight and the others.

"Then we remembered what you said yesterday about those blue plants," Flash finished, "do you know what's going on?"

Zecora nodded before moving over to a book case. "Indeed. I believe I have the answer you seek, why don't you look at this book and take a peek?"

Flash walked over and saw an image of the plant from yesterday. Reading it, he learned that it was called Poison Joke, which causes any infected pony to be changed in some odd and hilarious way. "So, it was those plants after all," Flash said as he shut the book. Doing so made him realise which book this was.

Supernaturals

This was the book Twilight had dismissed before. Flash went on to read the remainder of the title.

Natural Remedies and Cure All That are Simply Super

"Twilight," Flash sighed, wanting to facehoof. This could have all been avoided if Twilight had just taken a peak inside. It was in that moment that he realised something, "but didn't I end up in that flower patch too?" he looked Apple Bloom with a look of confusion. "Apple Bloom was too. So...why weren't we effected?"

"The Poison Jokes effects are not always clear," Zecora replied, "but those of youth shouldn't fear."

"So they only affect fully grown ponies," Flash said as he then pressed his chest, "but that doesn't explain my immunity."

"Some magics work to guard against affliction. Tell me, do you use magical protection?"

"Not that I know of," Flash said still slightly confused. He then looked at his partner Springer. “And it doesn't work on anything but a pony? Huh. Guess you're off the hook if you ever landed in a patch of that buddy.”

Springer nodded. “Yeah. Though I wonder, what would happen to me if it could?”

“Eh, you'd probably change colours or something.” Flash chuckled as a image floated in his head. “I'm thinking-heh heh...yellow! HA!”

“Hey! I'm not yellow!” Springer barked back. Apple Bloom and Zecora looked at each other in confusion, unable to hear Springer's words as Flash fell over in a fit of giggles.

"So we now know how it happened," Apple Bloom interrupted, "but please tell me there's a way to undo it."

"Indeed there is my little pony, by bathing in a simple home remedy." She opened the book to the page that instructed them on how to cure the Poison Joke.

"A bubble bath?"

"It's a simple mix that I can brew," Zecora said before pointing to Flash and his two companions, "but to do so requires help from you."

"What do you need?" Flash asked as he closed the book, a determined look on his face.

"Two or three herbs I require from town, but whenever I'm there, no one is around."

"Right," Flash replied, scratching his head, "just write down what you need and we'll get them. After that...why don't we meet up on the edge of town in say, half an hour?" Zecora nodded and quickly wrote down the ingredients. List in hoof, Flash, Apple Bloom and Springer were soon flying out of the forest, on route back to town.

"I have no clue where to find these ingredients," Flash said as he stared at the list, "and did Zecora really have to write this list in rhyme?!”

Apple Bloom rolled her eyes before taking the list and reading through it. "Hey, I know these ingredients! Granny Smith uses some of them for her joint cream."

"Great. You go get them and I'll inform the others."

"Right," Apple Bloom nodded, "but we're gonna need a pretty big bath tub for all of them."

"Good point. I think the spa has a big enough tub for five ponies. And your tiny sister will probably fit in a bucket."

Apple Bloom giggled as they landed in the center of town. They split up as Flash and Springer reached the library and found the door wide open, the plastic torn to pieces. Stepping inside, he saw the local doctor examining Twilight's horn.

"I still have no clue what could have caused this," he said as he moved his stethoscope over Twilight's horn. “This is truly peculiar.”

"There has to be something," Twilight said, before noticing his arrival. "Flash, you're back!" Everypony else turned to look at him.

"Please tell me you found a way to reverse this," Rarity cried as she pulled at her long hair. “I can't take this disaster much longer!”

"Yeah," Applejack yelled from her spot at the table, "you get Zecora to reverse this hex?! If she didn't want to reverse it, I'm gonna-"

Flash frowned hearing this as he ignored her wild claims. Zecora had been nothing but helpful and they were still going on about hexes and junk. Stepping inside, Flash walked over to where he'd seen Spike place Supernaturals.

"Flash?" Twilight asked as she watched him just ignore them and look around, "did you find anything?"

Flash didn't reply and instead took out the book and opened it to the right page before handing it to them. "Read this and meet me at the spa." And without another word, he headed back out and returned to the edge of the forest in a slight huff. He waited there for several minutes until Zecora stepped out with several saddlebags. He guessed they were filled with the ingredients they'd need.

"Hey," he waved at her, "Apple Bloom's collecting the herbs we need and we have the perfect place to brew the potion."

Zecora nodded, "If you would kindly lead me there, and I hope it has a bath they can all share?"

"It's the Ponyville Day Spa," Flash replied, "it should have a large enough tub for them to use."

As they trekked through the town, Flash noticed the townsponies running away from them. "Seriously?!" Flash groaned, rolling his eyes and facehoofing. They then reached the spa and saw Apple Bloom heading towards them, saddlebag on her back.

"I got all the ingredients on the list Zecora!"

Zecora smiled and rushed over to check the contents of the bags. "With this, we have everything we need, except a place to mix all this weed."

"On it," Flash said as he knocked on the door of the spa. It slowly opened, revealing one of the spa owners, Lotus. Seeing Zecora, Lotus tried to shut the door but Flash managed to put his foot in it. "Can we talk?" Flash asked with a slight groan in his voice. After explaining the situation, Lotus and her partner Aloe agreed to let them in so Zecora could cook up the antidote.

"How's it coming?" Flash asked after a little while.

"This potion is ready for your friends. One dip and the Poison Joke's effects will end."

At that moment, the spa doors opened and the rest of the Mane Seven walked in.

"So," Flash said as he crossed his hooves with a huff, "finished reading?!"

"Yes," Twilight nodded with a look of pure sadness, "and we came to apologise." They turned to Zecora and bowed their heads, "we're sorry we suspected you. We were just so desperate to figure out what was wrong with us that we let our imaginations run wild."

"We're sorry," the rest of the girls said in unison.

"It is okay, no harm done." Zecora grinned, “now come along, for the bath is almost run."

Not long afterwards, the five ponies, (They had to put Applejack in a bucket for the cure) were splashing around in the bath. It didn't take long for the antidote to work and soon their girls were back to their regular selves.

"Much better," Twilight said, seeing her horn had turned back to normal.

"So," Flash said from his spot on the edge of the tub, "what did we learn?"

"I guess it's that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover," Twilight answered before seeing Flash give her the 'You know I'm right' face. She then groaned. "and you were right."

"Darn straight I was right!"

"Though there was one thing that I was wondering," Twilight asked as she finished facehoofing from his brag, "why weren't you affected?"

"Not sure. If anything, I was in the Poison Joke much longer then the rest of you. Zecora said the only thing that could have protected me was some kind of magic shield, but I don't have anything like that on me."

"I've never sensed one. Huh. I'll have to ask the princess about that one."

"So what do you think of Zecora now that you've actually met her?" Flash asked the others.

"The rhyming things still a little weird, but she does seem pretty cool." Rainbow replied as she stretched her wings. “Oh, that feels so good...”

"We were just to stubborn to listen," Applejack continued as she struggled to get out of the bucket.

"Well, hopefully the rest of Ponyville will soon find out how cool she is too." Flash finished as he stretched his hooves out. He didn't want to admit he would like a warm bath as well.

"That is something that I wish too," Zecora said as she poured some more of the antidote in, "but for now, I'm just glad I was able to befriend all of you."

“And I'm glad to call you a friend Zecora.” Twilight replied as she called for Spike. “Looks like I know what to report to the princess for today...”

And with that, another day had passed as another crazy adventure that had brought more friends into everypony's lives. Zecora the zebra had joined them and Flash had a feeling she would become a true friend as time would go on. That, and he had quite a road ahead of him to convince the rest of the town of the same thing. That however, was a story for another day.

Author's Note:

You have no idea how hard it was to write Zecora.

So! Flash isn't effected by Poison Joke, I wonder why. :trollestia: