• Published 6th Jan 2017
  • 6,748 Views, 304 Comments

Flash Sentry, Defender of the Peace S1 - Banshee531



Begins one week after The Element of Courage. Follows the first season with both canon and non-canon events

  • ...
12
 304
 6,748

Fantasia Festival

Years ago, after one of the more boring Grand Galloping Galas, (Which honestly wasn't saying much) Grand Hoof's apprentice Flash Sentry asked to meet Princess Celestia over a different change of pace after the gala. Back then, he was pleasantly surprised to find out that the princess also hated the gala, believing it to be an event she always dreaded due to its boring and droning like nature. He also found out that the main reason for the gala was supposed to be a time of merriment and joy, but over the years, the nobles had turned it into a time of self-acknowledgement and arrogance. Wanting to change this, Flash and Celestia created the idea of the Fantasia Festival, an event that was designed for the citizens to let loose and have fun. This of course, was met with criticism at the start due to the snooty nobles who believed the gala was more than enough, but Celestia saw it as a good opportunity to make something fun for the foals of Canterlot. With that being said, Canterlot agreed to hold the first Fantasia Festival the following year.

Said festival was a mismatch of whatever anypony wanted to do. Ponies would dress in costumes, set up booths for fun and food, pull harmless pranks and have rides for foals and ponies alike. Canterlot itself would become a full-on carnival for a day, allowing the ponies of the streets to have fun, despite the nobles hating the very idea of the event and trying to stop Princess Celestia at every turn over the idea.

However, that never came to pass. Instead, the first festival went off with a bang, especially at the very end of the festival. At the end of the day, right after the sun had just finished setting, many citizens of Canterlot did their very first performance of the now famous Fantasia Parade. A series of floats would ride down the streets of Canterlot as ponies would perform on said floats while wearing celebratory costumes, doing dances or tricks along the ride. The Wonderbolts would also perform a special flight pattern named after the festival's creator, the Wonder Flash.

The Fantasia Festival was such a big hit in it's first year that lower citizens practically begged Princess Celestia to make it yearly event. Seeing the happiness it caused, she gladly accepted the idea. Now, many ponies come from all over Equestria to enjoy it.

And some of those ponies were Flash and his friends.

"WOW!" the CMC screamed as they left the castle that morning, seeing the sight of the festival already being setup outside.

Most of the adult ponies had wanted to sleep in after the previous night, but the little fillies had decided to make sure they woke up bright and early. Due to this, Flash and the others found themselves dragging their hooves that morning. After washing the sleep out of their eyes and having a quick breakfast, the ponies soon found themselves leaving the castle, ready to greet the festival that had been setup over the past few nights. Spike, Pinkie and the CMC in particular had made sure that they hadn't eaten much for breakfast as they wanted to eat as much junk food as they could stomach, causing the others to just laugh at their idea. With this, the large group of ponies were out and ready to have fun.

"Look at all this stuff!" Scootaloo exclaimed as she entered the main street of Canterlot.

"It's amazing," Sweetie added as she looked at the many booths that were now open. "Wow, I've never seen this many ponies in one place before."

"Yeah...what do you girls wanna do first?" Applebloom asked as she looked at her friends.

"Just remember not ta run off," Applejack told her sister as she split up from the group. She and Big Mac were going to set up the apple booth so they could sell the stuff she couldn't sell last night. "Remember to stay with the others, you three."

"We know, we know..." the three fillies groaned in unison.

"Thanks for keeping an eye on Applebloom for us," Applejack told the others.

"Eyuup," Mac added.

"No problem," Twilight shook her head as she put her hoof over Applebloom's shoulder. The others then waved Applejack off. "Good luck with the booth."

"Thanks." Applejack said before heading off with her brother. But, before she could started, she turned around one last time. "Oh, and don't worry, I'll be at the castle for the performance later."

"Right," Flash said before turning to the others. "So, what should we do first?"

"I'm gonna wait for Cadance and Shining Armor," Twilight replied before suddenly pointing to down the street. "Oh, there they are. And Soarin is with them."

The three walked up to them and Flash then turned to his friends, asking the most simple question. "Okay, that was really convenient. So, now that we're all here, what do you all want to do first?"

"This is a pretty big group," Shining commented as he put his hoof around Cadance's neck. "Why don't we split up so we can move around more easily?"

"Good idea," Rainbow nodded before walking up to Soarin. "Don't wanna get dragged down and miss half the festival."

"Flash, Twilight," Rarity said to the two, "you two have been to this the most times. Know any attractions that are here every year?"

"Sure we do." Twilight nodded before explaining, "The usual plan for the festival include several amusement rides at the local park, along with a petting zoo there. Besides that, the main street is usually filled with the basic food and carnival booths."

"Petting zoo?!" Fluttershy exclaimed with wide eyes along with the CMC.

Flash just chuckled at this as he patted Scootaloo's head. "Looks like we know where we're headed." Flash said as the CMC, Fluttershy and Springer huddled around him. "What about you all? What are you all going to do?"

"I'm gonna go check out the game booths," Rainbow patted her chest. "I'm going to make sure I win every game!"

"Not if I beat you!" Soarin challenged with a cocky grin, causing Rainbow the smile behind his back.

"And me! I wanna go there too!" Pinkie screamed.

Springer then tapped Flash's shoulder. "Can I go and beat them at the games?"

"Go right ahead bud." Flash laughed as he scratched his partner's ear. He then turned to Rainbow, "Yo Rainbow, Springer wants to come along and beat you at the games. Is that okay?"

"HA! Sure, why not?" Rainbow replied as she walked up to Springer. "I'm not gonna lose to you either." Springer just barked back.

"Is it okay if I go to?" Spike asked Twilight.

"Sure," Twilight nodded. "In the meantime, the rest of us will head to the park."

"If we don't see each other beforehoof, we'll meet you at the castle for lunch at noon, and then we can watch the show at one o'clock," Flash explained as he waved his hoof in front of everypony. "Sound like a plan?"

"Sounds good to me." And with that, the two groups split up and headed in separate directions, ready to enjoy the day.


Up in the castle, Celestia and Grand Hoof were going over all the plans they needed for the Fantasia Parade. Celestia let out a small sigh as her horn continued to shine, her magic levitating the papers before the two. "Hmm...everything looks in order. Are the floats set up and ready to go?"

"Yes, your highness." Grand nodded as he took a sip of coffee. "Each driver has been given a map with the route of the parade, so we shouldn't have any problems. We did have a bit of delay on the fifth float in terms of it being made, but they told me its done."

"Good," Celestia replied as several cubes of sugar float over and drop into her cup of coffee. "I wouldn't want anything to ruin today. The festival is truly a wondrous occasion in Canterlot."

"Everypony loves the festival your majesty. So much so that they don't let anything be over looked." Grand said as he looked up, scanning over Celestia's face. He could tell there was a slight tinge of hesitation in her face. "Don't worry, nothing's going to happen."

"You're right...they all love it." Celestia muttered as she shuffled the papers again. Her eyes slowly shifted upward as she let out a small glare. "By the way Grand, I heard Lightning was back in town." That statement alone made Grand grimace. A large frown appeared on his face as his eyes narrowed in frustration. Seeing this, Celestia looked down as she continued. "I know he doesn't like today Grand, but it's worth at least asking him to attend."

Grand Hoof didn't reply. All he could do was let out a long, heavy sigh.

"Maybe...maybe just think about it Grand. I mean, he is your grandson and I know he's trouble, but-"

"I know your majesty." Grand interrupted as he shuffled the papers as well. "Its just...that boy is difficult."

"I know. But you should still try." Celestia said before getting up to leave the room. "Just...give it a thought." She then left the earth pony to go deal with other things.

"Of all the days," Grand groaned as he slammed his hoof into the table. "Why'd he have to show up now? You better not stir up any trouble Lightning."


Unknown to anypony however, was that in the dark area of the city a great threat was preparing to strike. Three ponies who were standing in an alleyway, talking about the plan that was going to happen soon. "How long till we can cut loose and have fun?" the dark blue unicorn almost yelled. "I'm getting seriously bored here!"

"Patience Wild Smile," the red unicorn replied with a small grin, "It won't be long until Lightning gives us the all clear."

"It better be soon," the green mare added as she adjusted her glasses, her teeth gritting at the thought of starting the operation. "I don't know how much more of this I can take. I want it to start now!"

"You just want to take that Princess Cadance down a peg, don't you Gorgenia?!" the dark unicorn chuckled, his hoof over his mouth.

"Can you blame me?!" Gorgenia growled as she narrowed her eyes, a large snort flying out of her nostrils. "Little miss perfect thinking she can overshadow my beauty. I deserve to show that showoff who's the most beautiful pony in Equestria!"

"Calm down, you'll get your chance." the red unicorn moaned as he rubbed his temples in frustration before turning his head around. "But first, perhaps we should deal with the idiots who think they can pull a sneak attack on us." He pointed to the end of the alleyway, where five shadows appeared. "We know you're there, so quit hiding."

From out of the shadows came a group of five ponies of different variety.

"Well aren't you perceptive," one of the ponies said as he walked up to the trio, his body now showing itself from the shadows. He was a punk pony, his body completely decked out in leather along with his companions. "You three are gonna wish you hadn't found us."

"I'm guessing you want us to hand over everything on our person as well as arrest us?" the unicorn replied back with snide smirk.

"That about sums it up," the leader said before pulling out a knife. "Don't resist. We don't want any trouble."

"Yeah right," the dark blue unicorn chuckled as he stuck his tongue in response. "You jokers are a bunch of liars."

"Don't play games with us." the leader deadpanned, his face completely stone stiff. "We don't need to do anything violent."

The dark blue unicorn turned his head toward the red unicorn. "Script? May I?"

"Go nuts Wild Smile." Script grumbled as rubbed his eyes again. "Just make it quick."

"You got it." Wild laughed as his horn glowed black. As it did, five multicoloured wooden puppets suddenly appeared around him, floating in midair. "Power Puppet Blast!" The puppets flew into a circle between him and the soldiers, before they each unleashed a blast from their eyes. The blast struck the five, causing them to scream in pain as they were blasted back. As their bodies skidded down the alley, the found themselves suddenly in front of Gorgenia.

"What in Tartarus?!" the lead yelled as Gorgenia leaned down, glaring at them with narrowed eyes.

"What ugly creatures," she spat as her horn glowed blue and her eyes soon followed. As they did, she took off her glasses with a single swipe, her eyes now glowing. "Don't worry, the ugliest of creatures make the most beautiful of statues." The five ponies looked her in the eyes and soon felt their bodies go stiff, before their eyes turned to stone and the rest of their bodies soon followed.

Now, five lifeless stone statues lay in the center of the alley.

"Good warm up," Wild said as he cricked his neck. "Though they're definitely not the main course."

"Enough." Script groaned as he pulled out a small pocket watch. "Alright, we've wasted enough time. We have to meet up with Lightning."


Flash and his friends were having the time of their lives. The petting zoo had been their first stop and Fluttershy and the CMC had enjoyed petting the animals, though Flash wasn't totally sure why since Applebloom and Fluttershy lived with the same animals. They then moved onto the rides, like the bumper cars, ferris wheel and Flash's personal favourite, The Waltz. It was ride that made of several seats shaped like teacups. Once the ride starts, the cups rotate at high speeds while the teacups spin around a bigger circle.

"Wow," Scootaloo said once they'd gotten off it. She was having a tough time walking since she was so dizzy, so Flash lifted her onto his back so she wouldn't run into something.

"This was great," Sweetie commented as she started stumbling as well, a big cheeky grin on her face. "I wanna ride again..."

"I'm just glad I used extra strong mane spray," Rarity spat as she pulled out a small mirror. "I can't believe you convinced me to ride that atrocity." After the Waltz, most of their manes were wind swept. Flash was the only one looking normal since he usually flew at such high speeds all the time. Despite this, Rarity's mane was still perfectly styled.

"Right..." Flash chuckled as he put Scootaloo down, her dizziness fading away. "What do you all wanna do next?"

"How about some games?" Twilight suggested, gaining nods from the others.

"Great idea," Shining commented as he pointed to another street, this one filled with booths. With this, they left the park and trotted through town, enjoying the many booths and decorations that littered the street. As they did, Flash asked Twilight for the time, but she told him that they had plenty of time left before lunch.

"Oooohhhh," Sweetie said with wide eyes. "Look at the cute kitty!" She pointed to a booth with tons of stuffed animals. In the booth was a game that featured a wooden board with holes cut out that moved back and fourth. As they walked up to it, Sweetie Belle pointed to the cat plushie from earlier. "I want that one!"

"Give it a try," the sales pony pointed to the board while chuckling at Sweetie Belle. "Three balls for three bits. For each ball you score through a hole, you win a stuffed animal."

"I'm game." Flash cricked his neck in a cocky stance as he stepped forward. Paying, he got the three balls, one of which he held in his tail as he kept his eye on the board. A few seconds later, he threw it with such pure precision that the ball flew straight through the hole. He did this twice more and soon the booth owner was pulling down the kitty plushie Sweetie saw, along with a lion doll for Scootaloo and a dog plush for Applebloom.

"Thanks," Applebloom said as she hugged her new toy.

"That's kind of cheating," Twilight whispered once they were far enough away from the booth. "You went through special training so your eyes can easily judge distances, haven't you? I bet you could do that game from a mile away."

"So?" Flash asked, his eyebrows bouncing up and down with his usual cocky grin.

"At least you use your cheating for good," Twilight chuckled before blowing a raspberry at the pegasus. They continued to enjoy the festival until Twilight declared that it was almost noon. Seeing this, they headed to the castle, which had the main hall open so ponies could have lunch and watch the show. As they entered the main hall, they heard a familiar voice.

"Hey guys!" They looked over to see Rainbow and the others sitting at a large table, along with Twilight's parents. Twilight quickly ran up and hugged them, causing the others to giggle at her love for her family.

"It's good to see you," Twilight Velvet said as she released Twilight's hug. "I'm glad to see you're doing well."

"What are you doing here?" Shining asked as he and Cadance gave them a hug.

"We enjoy the Fantasia Festival as much as you all." Night Light waved his hoof as he then pointed to Spike. "We were out and saw Spike with this lot and found out they were your friends. That and we found out you were going to do a performance for the festival."

"Great," Twilight whined in a sarcastic tone. "My friends seeing me make a fool of myself is one thing, but my parents too."

"Don't be so dramatic," Flash said, smacking her with his tail. He then sat down at the table right next to Springer. Flash blinked several times as he saw that his partner was decked out with every carnival prize possible on his being. He especially liked the brown cowponyhat on his head, which was decorated with several different dolls and plushes. Flash then leaned down and asked his partner, "Looking good bud. You beat them at every game, didn't you?"

"Yes..." Rainbow and Soarin hissed in unison.

"Your 'partner', is the craziest thing I've ever seen Flash." Soarin hissed as he began eating a piece of pie, grumbling under his breath that he couldn't win Rainbow anything. "He beat us at everything, even the strength test."

"AHAHAHA!" Flash guffawed before patting Springer's back. "Good job bud." Springer happily barked in response.

"Hey y'all," they saw Applejack and Big Mac trotting over to them.

"How's the booth going?" Twilight asked.

"We sold out a few minutes ago, I'm so coming here again next year."

"Eeyup."

"I think this will become an annual tradition," Rarity added as she applied another round of makeup. "This event is truly something else."

"It's so much fun!" Pinkie finished as she bounced up and down. "Its the best party ever!"

"And you haven't even seen the best part yet," Flash told them. "And it isn't even the food. Speaking of which, let's eat!"

With that, they all headed over to the food table, grabbed a plate, and started filling their stomachs with everything the could get their hooves on. It wasn't long till more ponies walked up to them, causing them to look up with stuffed mouths. It was Trixie and Moondancer, along with some other familiar unicorns from Twilight's old school.

"Hey everypony!" Trixie said as she placed her plate on the table. They all replied with muffled hi and hellos, their mouths still jammed with food. With the exception of Cadance, who had just let out a resounding gulp.

"Are you going to be helping with the performance?"

"Can't." Trixie shook her head before taking a drink. "I'm helping set up the parade. I can stay to watch the first half though."

"And we'll be watching too," they looked over and smiled seeing Moondancer and her friends.

"It's great to see you all," Twilight said as she got up and hugged her old friends. They responded with 'you too' and nods as they sat down with their old friend. They sat there for some time, talking up a storm over what they had been doing recently. It was some time before the hall suddenly went quiet as Princess Celestia and Luna entered the room. The two smiled at everypony as they made their way through the room, arriving at their table.

"Are you girls ready?" Celestia asked as she glanced at her subjects.

"I think so," Twilight nodded before looking down, "I'm a little nervous."

"You'll do fine," Celestia replied as she patted her student on the back. "Don't worry, everything will be just fine."

"But you'd better all go get ready," Luna told them, causing them to all get up. They quickly made their way to a stage that had recently been built. The others wished them luck, telling them that they'll do a great job. Before they could say anymore, the girls disappeared backstage.

"Does anyone have any idea what this performance is?" Night Light asked.

"No," Soarin replied as he ate his eighth slice of pie. "But that's half the fun."

As they waited for the show, they watched as the hall grew fuller and fuller, as more ponies came in to see the performance. The rest of Soarin's team took a seat at the back, while younger ponies stepped closer to the stage to get a better look. As the attendance grew, Flash heard a familiar voice approach him.

"Hey kids," they turned to see Grand Hoof walk in, followed by...Iron Core.

"Hey Grand," Flash said before turning to Iron, "I thought you were leaving after last night."

Iron glared at him. "Grand suggested I stay here until after this dumb festival, since there's something important I need to talk to him about."

"What thing?" Flash asked, narrowing his eyes at Iron.

"Something that's none of your business."

"That's enough you two," Grand growled before the two could get started. "The show's about to start."

They all looked over at the stage, where Twilight walked out from behind the curtain towards a microphone.

"Hello everypony," Twilight said as she pulled the microphone up to her. "Welcome to our special performance. I hope you enjoy it and-" her speech was cut short when the lights suddenly went off. Twilight looked around in confusion. "Er...hello?"

"That can't be good," Flash said as him and Grand looked at each other in worry.

"Sorry," a female voice flew throughout the room, "but I had to put an end to this suffering before it even began."

"That voice," Flash said looking up in worry. "Oh no..."

"You know who it is?" Scootaloo asked.

"Yeah, its-" Before Flash could finish his thought, the lights suddenly came back on. Everypony then saw that the stage had a new occupant. The one and only- "Gorgenia." Flash hissed, quickly hopping out of his seat.

"Who?" Spike asked.

"She's one of Lightning's lackeys," Flash explained, "she works as a stone mason."

"Hello everypony," the green unicorn said as she pulled the microphone up to her. "Today's performance by these disgusting, ugly lowlifes has been cancelled. Instead, you have the beautiful and marvellous me, Gorgenia!" She put her hoof to her chest as she complimented herself before turning to Twilight, her horn glowing as she removed her glasses. "Here, let me show you."

"Oh no," they heard Celestia say. "Stop! Do not use that magic!"

"Too late!" Gorgenia replied with a cackling laugh. As she did, Twilight's body went completely still, before it transformed into stone. Twilight was now nothing more then a stone statue. "AHAHAHA! You looks much better this way!"

"TWILIGHT!" Flash yelled as he slammed his hooves into the table.

"NO!" Velvet screamed seeing her daughter by fossilised.

The rest of the ponies were in uproar at what they'd seen, with parent quickly rushing over and grabbing their children to take them to safety. Scootaloo and her filly friends began huddling around together as they watched the sight. "What happened to her?" Scootaloo asked in horror.

"That," Celestia said with gritted teeth, "was one of the ten Forbidden Spells."

"They're spells that are so dangerous and cruel that casting them is illegal." Trixie added as she shook in her seat.

"But if that's true," Soarin asked as a slice of pie fell out of his mouth. "Then why would she do it in public like that?"

"The question isn't why, it's how. Gorgenia's no magical scholar, so how'd she pull off such a complicated spell?" Flash replied as him and Grand looked at each other and nodded. They knew this was only the beginning.

"That would be thanks to me!" Another familiar voice rang out through the room.

"Lightning," Grand Hoof growled.

"What is the meaning of this Lightning Blitz?" Celestia yelled to the roof. "Turn Twilight back right this second!"

"Maybe..." Lightning's voice said with a chuckle, "if I feel like it. But what do you want me to with the others?" Suddenly, the stage curtain opened, revealing that the rest of the girls had been turned to stone and now stood frozen in place.

"Applejack!" Mac yelled, seeing his sister as a statue.

"They got Cadance too?" Spike asked.

"No," Celestia whispered.

"This has gone too far!" Luna yelled, almost using the royal Canterlot voice. "You will stop this this instance, Lightning!" As she and the others continued to yell, the others remained shocked at what they were seeing as they stared at the stone mares.

"I can't believe she got Rainbow," Scootaloo said as Apple Bloom hugged her and Sweetie Belle.

"What's gonna happen to Rarity?" Sweetie asked as she hugged her stuffed kitty, tears in her eyes.

"Enough of the games Lightning!" Flash yelled. "Show yourself!"

"Very well," A brilliant bolt of lightning shot out of nowhere and struck the stage, making everypony shield their eyes. Once the light faded, everypony looked back to the stage to see Lightning Blitz wearing a cape, standing on stage. "So," he said with an evil smirk on his lips, "is everypony here ready for some fun?"

"Enough of your games boy!" Grand yelled as his hooves slammed into the table as well. "Stop this at once!"

"Actually, old geezer," another voice said, "the games haven't even started yet." Everypony looked up at a nearby balcony and saw Wild Smile sitting on the railing. "Hey everypony, are you ready for some real fun? AHAHAHA!"

"Another of Lightning's friends, I'm guessing?" Soarin asked.

"Wild Smile," Flash said with a nod. "He's a puppet master who loves to make ponies laugh...and laughing at ponies. He's kind of a wilder, more insane version of Pinkie Pie." Flash then looked around, "but if he and Gorgenia are here, then...Script." Looking over at another balcony, he saw the pony known to him as Solid Script. "That's not good."

"What in Tartarus are you all planning?" Luna asked.

"I thought it'd be more fun if we added another event to the festival," Lightning replied with his tongue sticking way out. "After all, who wants to watch a bunch of boring mares trot around a stage?"

"That's enough Lightning!" Grand yelled to his grandson, "turn them back or else."

"You're not the one in charge anymore geezer." Lightning said as he used his magic to levitate his cloak around to show the necklace he was wearing. "As you can see, I'm well-equipped to fulfil that role now."

Celestia gasped at the sight. "That's..."

"The Alicorn Amulet." Lightning finished, the grin on his face constantly getting wider.

"What's the Alicorn Amulet?" Flash asked.

"A powerful artefact," Celestia explained, "it has the power to increase a pony's natural power. Since Lightning's a unicorn. the amulet will increase his magical abilities."

"That's right," Lightning said as he pointed to Gorgenia, "and with it, I gave my friends a little boost. Now they each have the power to cast one or more of the Ten Forbidden Spells."

Before he could say anymore, Celestia roared at him in her Canterlot voice. "You can't be serious! You should know the risks of that accursed necklace! The more one wears it, the less rational they become." She glared at Lightning as her horn began to shine. "Take it off this instance before it consumes you. There's a reason that amulet was put into hiding."

Lightning just smiled. "Maybe weaker ponies lost themselves, but I won't have a problem." He sauntered over to Twilight and leaned against her, putting everypony on edge as he spoke up. "Now listen up! These seven are now my hostages, so break the rules and I'll shatter them all one by one. Or, I could just smash them all right now."

"THAT'S ENOUGH LIGHTNING!" Grand Hoof yelled as he strode towards the stage.

"I wouldn't do that," Lightning said as his horn sparked and a lightning bolt shot down in front of the Royal Knight, making him stop. "That was a warning shot."

"Stop fooling around boy, or I'm going to-"

"I'm serious you old fossil," Lightning interrupted as he put his hoof around Twilight's shoulders. "The only way to end this is to play my game."

"And what is this game?" Luna asked.

Lightning's face turned into a giant evil smirk. "It's a battle royal with only one rule: Everypony against everypony! And whoever is left standing in the end, is the winner!" Nopony liked the sound of that.

"So that's it," they all turned to Flash as he moved around the table and towards the stage, Lightbringer in his hoof.

"Was he always carrying that?" Scootaloo asked Springer, who shrugged in response.

"In other words," he said as he flew up into the air. "We take you guys down and the girls turn back to normal?"

"Nice to see somepony gets it," Lightning replied with a laugh. "Too bad its the old geezer's mistake!"

"Shut up! I'll end this right now!" With that statement, he shot forward, aiming his Celestic Gear at the unicorn.

"Flash wait!" Grand Hoof yelled, but it was too late. Another lightning bolt flew down from on high and struck the orange pegasus. A loud scream followed as his whole body became electrocuted.

"FLASH!" everypony who knew him screamed as they watched him get shocked. A second later, his body fell to the ground, shaking in pain. Springer also yelled his name as he ran over to his partner, scanning him over with his aura.

"He'll be fine, furball," Lightning mocked as he waved his hooves. "Wouldn't want to knock out one of the top contenders right away." Springer just looked up at Lightning and growled. However, Lightning continued ignoring the jakhowl, "Now, time to explain how this'll work."

"You have three hours," Gorgenia said as Script and Wild came on stage, "and not a second more. If you run out of time, these statues are set to turn to dust. But, if you can defeat all four of us, they'll change back to normal."

"That's sick," Soarin yelled as he slammed his hoof down on the table.

"Relax," Wild laughed as put his hooves behind his head. "There's four of us and like a hundred of you guys, so the odds are totally in your favour."

"Indeed. All of Canterlot will serve as the battle field," Solid explained as he pointed at everypony in the room. "And anypony may join in. Those of you not wishing to play should return home and wait this event out."

"The fight will begin when, and if, you can find us." Lightning finished as his horn began to shine.

"Lightning, how could you?" Grand almost whispered before yelling, "I WON'T STAND FOR THIS!"

"Now now," Lightning replied as electricity surrounded him, "settle down you old coot. It's all part of the festival, right?" With that, a brilliant flash of light caused them all to shield their eyes. "Let the Battle of Canterlot begin!" When the light faded and they looked back, Lightning and the others were gone, leaving just the petrified girls onstage.

"He disappeared..." Soarin whispered, blinking at the sight.

"So it's high stakes hide and go seek?" Shining asked as he looked at Grand.

"When I find him..." Mac growled as he shook in anger.

"NO!" they all turned to Celestia, her face filled with rage. "I refuse to follow this stupid game! Everypony will remain here while me, my sister and Sir Grand Hoof deal with this matter."

"You can't be serious!" Shining said as he pointed to the petrified girls. "We have to stop them!"

"Lightning has the Alicorn Amulet," Luna countered. "Only an Alicorn has the power to outmatch it."

"Lightning, you've gone to far this time," Grand said as he turned and ran to the door, "I'LL STOP YOU WITH MY BARE HOOVES!"

BAM!

As Grand Hoof was about to exit through the open door he suddenly stopped, as if he'd run into something. "What the?!" Grand said as he staggered back.

"What's wrong?" Soarin asked him.

Grand once again tried to cross the threshold but it was as if an invisible wall was blocking his way. "I can't get through," he said as he pushed and pushed.

The Princess flew over and Luna also tried to pass, but the wall prevented her escape as well. "Some kind of barrier?"

Others moved over to check it out. Soarin tried first and found that he could pass through the door without worry. "I don't feel anything," he said as he waved his hoof through the open door. "That's weird." The others tried as well and found that they could leave with ease. The only ones trapped were Grand Hoof, Luna and Celestia.

"What's going on?" Grand asked.

"What's the deal?" Soarin asked only to notice something. "Hey, what's that?" He pointed upwards. The ponies looked up and saw purple writing floating in midair. It said:

Stone statues and anypony over the age of sixty shall not pass

"It's an enchantment," Celestia explained as her eyes went wide from seeing the magic. "An ancient form of magic writing. Barriers formed by magic runes, and anypony who steps inside is bound by its rules. This must be Solid Script's handy work."

"How do you escape?" Night Light asked.

"The only way to do so is to follow them," Luna said.

"And whoever writes the rules, wins the fight. Right?"

"Yes," Celestia nodded. "But enchantments like these take time to write, so their use in battle is weak. However, if they are given time, they can be used as traps."

"So you're all stuck? Can't you undo them?"

"I haven't used these types of runes in years," Celestia explained as she shook her head. "My knowledge of them is faded. The amount of time it would take us to decipher them is too long."

"Well, is their anypony else who could do it?" Velvet asked.

"The only pony I know who's studied these types of runes other than Script," Celestia sighed and turned to the stage. "Is in no state to do so." They quickly realised that they meant Twilight and everypony lowered their heads in despair. This was then interrupted as new writing appeared above the door.

3:00:00

2:59:59

2:59:58

"It's a countdown," Shining growled.

"And when it hits zero," Soarin tried to say, but couldn't finish his thought as he looked at the stage.

Celestia sighed. "No choice," she turned to the crowd in the hall. "Listen everypony, it seems we have no choice but to play Lightning's little game, so I'm asking you all...to stop Lightning."

"YES PRINCESS!" everypony screamed and saluted. With that, everypony who intended to fight shot out, while certain others had decided to remain behind and keep the children safe.

Big Mac stared at the fossilised Applejack, a serious look on his face. "Don't worry sis, I'll save you." And with that, he ran out the door.

"Come on Crusaders," Scootaloo said while raising her hoof. "Let's go save our sisters!"

"RIGHT!" the two others exclaimed as they ran for the exit, only to suddenly get lifted up by magic.

"I don't think so," Celestia commanded as she set them down away from the door. "You three are just foals. You're staying here."

"But we want to help!" They replied in unison.

"Three fillies don't stand a chance against any of those unicorns." the princess told them. "Let the soldiers win this battle. Don't worry, your sisters will be fine."

"You bet they will!" Shining yelled as he knocked a chair away in anger. "Because when I find Gorgenia, I'll force her to turn them back."

"Good luck son," Night said as him and Velvet gave him a hug. "Save your sister!"

"I will." Shining nodded and ran out the door.

Celestia sighed, not sure if Shining had the power to defeat the Alicorn Amulet. The only one she could think of who stood a chance against Lightning now was Cadance, but she was in no fit state to do battle. Somepony then caught her eye. "Trixie," they turned to see the blue unicorn trying to hide behind a pillar.

Luna looked over to see her pupil. "What are you still doing here?"

"I'm sorry," Trixie muttered, coming out from behind the pillar, shaking like a leaf. "I was just...scared. Sorry. I know I don't stand a chance against Lightning. My magic isn't strong enough to fight him."

"It's okay, my young apprentice," Luna replied as she went over and hugged her. "There's no shame in admitting you're outclassed. However, you could do something else for us."

"What?"

Luna released the hug and put her hooves over Trixie's shoulders. "Leave Canterlot and try to get help. We'll need all the help we can get to stop Lightning. Your illusions should help you sneak around."

Seeing the confidence in Luna's eyes, Trixie stopped shaking. A big smile appeared on her face and nodded. "Yes princess! I'll go get help, I promise!"

"I know." Luna hugged her again before helping her get to the doorway.

Meanwhile, Springer, Spike, Night, Velvet and the CMC were all gathered around the unconscious Flash. "You think he's gonna be okay?" Spike asked, poking Flash's body. "He ain't moving."

"He got hit by a powerful bolt of lightning," Grand said as he trotted up to him. "Could be hours before he regains consciousness."

"AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!" Flash yelled as he suddenly shot up, causing the others to backpedal at the scream. "That stinking little piece of...piece of..." Flash huffed, coughing a few time before shaking his head. "Oooohhh...that hurt."

"Nevermind." Grand laughed as he patted Flash's back with another hearty laugh. "You okay kiddo?"

"I think so." Flash replied, rubbing his head. He then started looking around, noticing the less amount of ponies in the room. "Where'd Lightning go? Actually...where'd everypony go?"

"Take one guess." Grand responded as he picked up Lightbringer and put it in Flash's hooves. "You ready to do your job?"

"Yeah..." Flash muttered, blinking at the blade. A second later, he tightened his grip on the sword. "Yeah, I'm ready."

"That's good. We need your help as well." Celestia said as she walked up to the pegasus. "Please, go find Lightning and his friends and stop them."

"With pleasure," Flash replied, flexing his wings, "I've been waiting for a reason to give him a serious flank whooping." He quickly took to the air and bolted towards the door. "Just you wait Light-"

BAM!

Flash fell to the ground, his body letting out a resounding 'thud' after his head hit the rune barrier.

"WHAT?!" They all yelled, seeing this.

Flash tried to push his way through, but it was useless. "What's going on?!"


Meanwhile...

In town, Big Mac was still on the look out for Lightning and his friends. As he walked down another street, he saw two of the Wonderbolts: Spitfire and Misty Fly, standing a ways off. "You find anything?" he asked the two as he walked up to them.

"Nothing yet," Spitfire replied as she stepped forward. Doing so caused runes to suddenly appear around them, sealing them inside.

"What's this?" Misty asked.

"More of Solid Scripts enchantments," Spitfire said.

"Don't tell me they put these things up all over town," Mac complained as he tapped the runes with his hoof. "You have got to be kidding me."

"Look!" Misty pointed at one of the walls.

Only the pony who proves themselves to be the strongest is allowed to leave this barrier.

"What does that mean?" Misty asked.

"Don't tell me they're trying to get us to fight each other." Spitfire spat as she hit the rune wall with her hooves. She then looked up to the sky and yelled, "THAT'S A DIRTY TRICK!"

"Alright..." Mac said quietly, getting their attention. They turned around, only to see the large red stallion in a bull-charge stance. "Sorry, but I have to save my sister." With that, he charged forward.


Back at the castle, Flash was still trying to get through the force field. As he kept pushing on the barrier, Springer, Spike and the CMC kept trying to help him through.

"Why can't you get through?" Grand asked him. "Obviously you're not a stone statue...or over sixty."

"I don't know," Flash said as he and the small ones stopped pushing. "I'm not a statue and...do I look sixty to you guys?"

"Maybe it's Lightbringer," Sweetie suggested as she pointed to his blade. "It is made of alicorn magic."

"Worth a try," Flash said, placing his weapon on the ground. One try later, but even without it in hoof the barrier still prevented his escape. "Oh, come on!"

As they tried again, they were suddenly interrupted by the sight of new writing appearing on the rune wall.

Battle of Canterlot Status Report

Big Macintosh V Spitfire V Misty Fly

"What?!" Celestia yelped, glaring at the new words. "What is the meaning of this?!"

"Why's my big brother fighting somepony else?" Applebloom asked.

"More of Lightning's trickery, no doubt." Luna growled, frowning.


Meanwhile..

The street was in chaos as Mac evaded attacks from the two pegasi. Misty flew through the air, zigzagging to prevent Mac from getting a good look on her. As he tried to focus, she shot forward, trying to tackle him head on. However, the stallion easily took the blow, grabbing her with his hooves and slamming her into the ground with resounding force.

"Surprise!" he heard behind him as he was body-slammed by Spitfire. The two struck a nearby house in the attack, but Mac was unfazed by the blow as he quickly wrapped his tail around the pegasi before body slamming her into the ground as well. With his greater weight and body strength, his attack left Spitfire unconscious in an instance.

"Hey! Big guy!" Misty yelled before charging at him again. The earth pony saw the attack coming and quickly spun around, kicking her with his hind legs. The force sent her crashing into a building, instantly knocking her out. With that blow, the runes vanished around the earth pony.

"Please forgive me." he said, looking back at the unconscious pegasi. "But I don't have a choice here." He then walked off in search of Lightning.


Back at the castle...

New writing replaced the last line.

The winner is Big Macintosh. Spitfire and Misty Fly, KO'd

"What?!" Flash yelled, slamming his hooves down in frustration.

"So this is Lightning's plan," Grand grumbled as he rubbed his head in frustration. "Forcing the competitors to fight each other and dwindle down their numbers."

"But if they have to fight each other," Spike asked with a gulp. "What'll happen if no one's left standing to face Lightning?"

"Nothing good bud. Nothing good."


From his hiding spot, Lightning smirked as he read the same magic writing. "Let's see how long you can endure this little game of pony eat pony," he said with an evil smile as the amulet glowed. "And let's hope I get some good entertainment while it happens!"

The Battle of Canterlot had begun, and it was a game none of them could afford to lose.

Author's Note:

How's that for a season closer story line.

What do you think?