• Published 31st Dec 2016
  • 2,055 Views, 56 Comments

Entities of Emotion 2: Dark is the Night - Michael_Ravencroft



The Light has had its time, now the Night shall fall again...

  • ...
3
 56
 2,055

Episode 2: Ponyhouse Blues

Hoofinshire, a quaint little village, about the twice the size of what Ponyville used to be, and very beautiful in the springtime. However, it’s residents could not enjoy their day, not fully, but honestly enjoying a nice winter’s day can be hard when you have a giant, rampaging dragon tearing through your home.

Screaming could be heard echoing across the village as Earth ponies and unicorns ran through the streets, trying to escape the wrath of the draconic beast. The dragon was violet colored, it’s eyes were like pools of black tar, but had yellow irises. The dragon’s eyes narrowed at the sight of the many ponies trying to escape and lunged forward, using its large membrane wings to boost its jump.

The violet dragon slammed onto some houses and business, crushing them underfoot. It’s maw opened and unleashed a torrent of purple flames that scorched everything in his wake. The dragon was furious, for what reason none of the ponies knew, but it didn’t often take much to set off a dragon’s wrath.

A family trying to escape the blaze was cut off by a wall of fire, and the Violet Dragon that cut off their only other escape route. The unicorn mother and father created a barrier, combining their magical energies to reinforce it. The dragon spewed it draconic flames onto the family, both mare and stallion held fast, trying with all their might to keep their two children from dying.

The dragon reached its limit, cutting off the flames, but that was all that was needed to shatter the barrier of the two unicorns. As strong as their combined unicorn magic was, dragonfire is laced raw magical energy. The mare and stallion collapsed, panting and struggling to stand up, but it was in vain. The dragon needed no fire to kill four ponies, no, it only needed one swipe of its mighty claw.

The family watched as the dragon raised its arm, covered in the shadow it created as it eclipsed what little light peeked through the clouds. The mother and father brought their foals close to them, hugging them tight as they covered their eyes and whispered assurances that it would be alright. The dragon roared as it brought down its claw for the killing blow.

In Brightest Day…!

The Violet Dragon stopped, just a couple of feet before hitting the family.

In Blackest Night…!

The dragon turned its head to and fro, hearing the booming voice echo from everywhere.

No evil shall escape my sight…!

The voice started to sound higher, and was growing closer. The Violet Dragon turned its head to the skies, feeling something strange in the air. Against their better judgment, the family of unicorns looked up, following the dragon’s line of sight.

When evil comes to kill in spite…!

Suddenly, a large hole was punched through the clouds, revealing the clear skies up above.

BEWARE MY POWER…!

A green star appeared overhead and descended down to the ground with a thunderous BOOM! The family winced, feeling the powerful shockwave that emanated from the impact. The power of the wave smothered the flames of the firewall, and made the dragon take a few steps back upon seeing the creature.

The humanoid beings’ eyes burned white, it’s body made of powerful light energy. Its forearms and shins covered by greaves and gauntlets, and bearing the symbol of Willpower upon its chest, formed by a brightly glowing circle and two horizontal bars. The family of unicorns felt hope rise in their hearts, this was the being that was responsible for protecting Ponyville from the volcano, the being that appeared around Equestria to help the ponies whenever disaster struck, and one of the four who fought to protect Canterlot. The Emerald Giant.

…Will’s grand light!

The Emerald Giant took advantage of the dragon’s confusion, dashing with a quickness that betrayed its enormous size. Within a few seconds the Emerald Giant closed the distance between them and delivered a powerful uppercut to the dragon’s lower jaw, sending it flying backwards until it landed outside the village. The Emerald Giant looked down at the family, thankfully the Emerald Giant had used its power to float off the ground, hovering a few feet to keep from stepping on the ponies he saved.

Go now, get to safety!” The Giant boomed.

The parents nodded happily and lifted their foals onto their backs, taking off as soon as they did. The Giant turned its attention back to where the dragon had landed and jumped into the air. The Emerald Giant flew over the village and stopped, seeing that there were still places on fire. His white eyes spotted a frozen lake and quickly thrusted his open palm towards it. The Emerald Giant sent a wave of green energy, striking the ice and releasing its liquid confines.

The Emerald Giant raised its hand and willed the water to snake out of the lake. Like a serpent, the Giant snaked the water through the businesses and homes, making sure to avoid dousing any surviving ponies with ice cold water. Thankfully he moved quick enough to save half the village from burning to the ground, and once he did, the Giant returned the water back to the lake.

With that done, the Emerald Giant continued on his flight path till he landed at the spot the dragon was. But when he got there, the dragon was gone.

Gone, but you’re still here aren’t you? No way a ticked off dragon takes a sucker punch and just runs away, thought the Giant.

The Emerald Giant stomped its foot against the ground, sending a wave of energy through the soil like a sonar. The Giant’s eyes narrowed and jumped back, just in time to miss a claw that came bursting through the ground. The dragon quickly took flight, spreading its wings and hurriedly keeping the high ground before the Giant could. From high in the air the Violet Dragon released another torrent of purple flames, smothering the Giant.

Magical as they were, the Emerald Giant was not one-hundred percent immune to magic, but then again, the Emerald Giant was not magicless himself. The Giant drew from the magical energies in the earth and focused them into a barrier, shielding himself from the damaging power of the flames, that, and being an infinite font of Willpower helped, too.

The Giant crouched low and jumped with great speed, piercing through the flames as it reached out with its left hand. The dragon cut off the flames, but it was too late. The Giant had grabbed the dragon by the throat, the Giant then spun and hurled the dragon back down to terra firma. The dragon groaned in pain, but it didn’t have long to process the entire ordeal before the Emerald Giant slammed its armored foot on the dragon’s chest, knocking the wind out of its lungs.

Thankfully, the second blow knocked the dragon out. The Giant stood there for a bit, looking back and forth. Just then, his body glowed with twice the intensity, a faint blue aura layered itself and mixed with the Emerald’s green aura. It didn’t take long for the Emerald Giant to figure out the cause of this.

I know you’re there Adara,” said the Giant.

Well you don’t miss much, Brother.

From the sky, another giant appeared…an angel.

It was a female humanoid construct, blue in color, with giant feathered wings on her back, her long flowing ethereal hair wafted in the non-existent wind, as her white eyes looked down upon the Emerald Giant. She wore the symbol of Hope upon her chest, arms crossed over her chest as she touched down on the ground. Over the past couple of years, the Emerald Giant had gained a partner, working together, they helped to stop disasters and dangers with far more ease than the Giant could do alone. She was known as the Cerulean Maiden.

The Maiden knelt down, looking upon the dragon before glancing back up at the Giant. “Did you have to be so rough with him, Ion?

Adara, he almost killed a family, and was torching a village! I think a little tough love is warranted,” said Ion.

Adara rolled her construct eyes and placed her right hand upon the dragon’s forehead. The Maiden’s eye narrowed as she pulled up and extracted a glow of inky black light that shimmered as if laced with crystals from the dragon. She then crushed in her hands and looked to Ion with seriousness.

That’s the third time we’ve encountered this substance,” said Adara.

It doesn’t last long enough for us to take a sample back to Twilight to study, so we have no way to track who’s creating it,” said Ion with frustration. “Ugh, it feels familiar, but…

The Maiden stood up and looked to the Giant. “It can’t be that Ion, we all silenced that evil long ago, and besides, this feels different, magic is involved somehow.

Ion crossed his arms contemplating many theories as to the creator of the black crystalite. “It could be the Negatives. We haven’t found Ophidian since that day he and Parallax escaped, and that bug is scurrying around somewhere in Manehattan, too. They can’t break the seals that Princess Twilight put on them. Not until Ophidian feels Compassion for someone, or Parallax feels Hope.

We can’t assume that those seals are permanent,” said Adara, “or if they did manage to feel the emotions they were sealed with and learned nothing.

At least Butcher seems content with his station in Stalliongrad. Still unclear on that one,” said Ion with suspicion.

The Cerulean Maiden rose up and started walking towards the village. Using the combined powers of Will and Hope, she waved her hands over the village, smothering what remained of the flames and generating a healing wave that would alleviate their pain and heal any major injuries they sustained from the attack. “Maybe he’s found something, or somepony, who can temper his rage?

Ion scoffed at the idea. Butcher was the Entity of Rage, there were barely a handful of individuals back in their universe that could even have a chance to temper and control the power Butcher would flood his host with. And even fewer who could the Butcher in a straight-up fight. Atrocitus, The Spectre, none of them were in this world - hopefully and thankfully. Ion was brought out of his reverie when Adara’s wing whipped him across the back of his head.

Don’t overthink it, you have other things to worry about.

Oh yeah, like what?” Ion asked.

Oh, just a certain mare, who’s a farmer, who’s your marefriend, and who’s waiting up on you now.

The Emerald Giant’s right eye twitched and all show of his bravado evaporated then and there. “Oh crap, I am so--!

“Screwed, he’s so screwed right now.”

Applejack tapped her hoof on the cushion, watching the scenery pass by as the train made its way down the tracks. It was almost Hearth’s Warming Eve, and the Apple Family was planning on visiting Babs Seed and her family, spending the holidays in Manehattan was probably going to be a little hectic, but the Seed family promised to help them when they got there.

“Now, now, Applejack, ya know Ion’s busy. What with his…” Granny Smith glanced about before whispering. “……hero business.”

AJ huffed.

Unfortunately, Apple Bloom couldn’t say she was in the same boat. Sitting next to her was her boyfriend, Spike. The two of them had been dating for a while now, and Apple Bloom decided that it was time for her favorite cousin to meet the most important pony--er--drake--in her life. They were both hoping to introduce their very special someponies, but then this happened.

“C’mon Sis, ya know how busy Ion can get when he’s doin’ his hero bis,” said Apple Bloom.

“Yeah, I mean, he’s probably on his way right now…! Probably…”

AJ huffed again, adding a roll of the eyes.

“Honestly, Sis, yer the only pony Ah know who can’t cut her coltfriend any slack. Even though the he’s doin’ important stuff.”

“Eeyup,” agreed Big Mac.

“Oh now don’t you start!” AJ spat. She then sighed heavily and gave an apologetic look to her family members. “Sorry y’all, it’s just, Ah’d like to spend this Hearth’s Warmin’ together. He’s already on edge about goin’ to Manehattan. He ain’t goin’ to be able to relax too much with that Parallax roamin’ around.”

“That’s true, Willpower and Fear don’t exactly have the best of relationships. And we really don’t need a brawl between two Entities happening in Manehattan.” Spike commented.

The train whistle went off as the conductor started to walk down the narrow aisle, announcing their arrival to Manehattan. As they disembarked the train, they spotted a familiar face. A green stallion was standing and waiting for them, Ion. The stallion had certainly bulked up since his arrival to his new home, boasting a broader, muscled body, and just slightly longer hair. He almost matched Big Mac in body size, but years of working on the farm will do that to anypony. While Big Mac, Granny, AB, and Spike were happy to see him, they also had worried looks upon their faces as they glanced to Applejack.

Her expression was hard to read, but best anyone could guess, it was somewhere between joy and anger. Ion cautiously made his way towards his marefriend, standing before her while the other four backed away. Spike leaned in close to Apple Bloom and whispered to her.

“Your sister’s the only pony I know who can make an Entity look worried.”

“Yep, honestly though, Ah still think she’s too hard on the guy,” replied Apple Bloom.

AJ’s expression shifted again, more to a neutral one, the kind of expression that a mother would have before scolding their child. “Well, what ya got to say fer yerself?”

Ion rubbed the back of his head nervously and chuckled. “Eeeeeh…Happy Hearth’s Warming?”

Applejack raised an eyebrow.

“Okay, okay, I’m sorry! I sensed danger somewhere and a village was under attack by a dragon! Adara showed up and we saved the villagers, and managed to help the dragon come back to its senses!” AJ still had the neutral look. “Okay…I’ll take my lumps.”

Applejack released a long sigh. “Ah ain’t mad at ya for doin’ what you do. Yer a hero, yer power stems from that, Ah felt it when we were one. But all Ah’m askin’ is a little heads up. Ya just took off while we were sleepin’ and the next mornin’ Ah wake up to no one bein’ there.”

Ion’s ears drooped. “AJ, I just wanted ya to rest up. I knew we were going to be in Manehattan, and I knew the train schedule, so it wouldn’t be that hard to find you.”

“Findin’ me ain’t the point. Ah just wanna know, ‘kay? Ah don’t’ care if you have to wake me the middle of the night, Ah just want to see ya before you go off to somethin’ dangerous! ‘Cause…! ‘Cause…” AJ’s head lowered. “Never mind, let’s all head to Aunt and Uncle Seed, they’re waitin’ fer us.”

Applejack strode past Ion, making the rest of the family do double time to catch up. Ion followed them, but kept some distance from Applejack. Apple Bloom saw her – hopefully – future brother-in-law’s sad face and nudged Spike to go to him, drake to stallion. Spike nodded and slowed down to match Ion’s pace. The two of them chatted a little as the family made their way through the busy streets of the big city. Thankfully they managed to wade through the overwhelming crowds and snow to get to the high-rise apartment building. The Apples, Spike, and Ion whistled at the height of the building craning their necks up to see the tall structure, probably reaching higher than Canterlot Castle.

“Ya sure they’re in there?” Applejack asked.

“This was the address Babs gave us,” said Apple Bloom.

“How high up were they on that confangled spire?” Granny asked.

“Eighteenth floor,” said Big Mac.

“Hope their elevator works,” said Spike.

The group entered the building, opening up to a large lobby, with many ponies walking about, along with bellhops and some families. Thankfully it appeared that all the elevators were working, which was a relief the eldest Apple. The six of them got in two separate elevators and ascended to the eighteenth floor. When both elevators dinged onto the pre-destined floor, none of them could get over how nicely decorated the interior was. Apple Bloom led the way, remembering in the letter what door they were to go to. The family stopped before a door marked 52, and knocked.

They heard the shuffling of hooves coming towards the door, which was quickly opened and revealed an older, and taller, Babs Seed. “CUZ!”

“BABS!”

Both cousins quickly embraced the other, giggling like mad, which then evolved into some playful roughhousing as they rolled into the house. Deciding to just roll with it, the rest of the family entered, with Ion closing the door behind them. Inside the apartment, or rather loft, was a large living room, with a patio that overlooked the city below. Many a jaw dropped at the fancy living space, wondering if they had gotten the wrong room, or building.

It wasn’t long before they found two teenage mares still horsing around and giving each other noogies.

“Babs, do you really need to do that?”

Babs and AB halted and looked up, spotting an young mare. Her mane was golden, and her coat pink, with a cutie mark of a sunflower. This was Babs older sister, Sunflower Seed, who was now giving both mares a disapproving look. Babs got off of Apple Bloom, helping her cousin up before turning to her sister.

“Geez Sis, we were just messin’ around. I haven’t seen Apple Bloom for a while now,” said Babs.

“Yes, yes, I know how ‘close’ you two are, but try to keep that kind of ‘bonding time’ to yourselves. Okay? Okay.”

“Pfft, way to suck the fun out of the moment Sis.”

Sunflower rolled her eyes and spotted the rest of the family walking in. Applejack walked to where they were standing and had an apologetic look on her face. “Sorry about that, my little sister’s just excited is all.”

“Well glad to see that you’re the sensible one. I don’t think we’ve been introduced, I’m Sunflower, your cousin, of course.” Sunflower held out her hoof to shake with Applejack.

“Ah shoot, cousins don’t shake hoofs, cousins gotta hug!”

“Wait what – ACK?!”

Sunflower suddenly found herself wrapped in a bone crushing hug. The Manehattan mare tried in vain to get herself loose from Applejack’s steel vice of a hug, which made her eyes nearly bulge out of her head as the air left her lungs. Babs bit her lip as she tried to hold back the great amusement she was getting from seeing her big sister at the mercy of Applejack’s strength, an amusement that was not lost on Apple Bloom as her cheeks puffed out in an effort to contain her laughter.

Applejack finally loosened her grip and looked to Sunflower, who appeared to have passed out. “Uh, Cousin Sunflower, are ya alright? Cuz?”

“Easy peasy lemon squeezy…”

“Oops.”

Thankfully the rest of the time after that went smoother. Sunflower regained consciousness, and Babs and Sun’s parents, Apple “Johnny” Seed and Marigold May welcomed the oldest branch of the family to their home. Apparently Babs was rich, well, by Manehattan standards they were doing very well for themselves, compared to Ponyville standards, they’d probably be up there with Diamond Tiara’s family.

Which was great, because it afforded them a large living space, big enough to accommodate everypony. Rooming assignments were already drawn up. Apple Bloom and Babs were going to be sharing a room, Spike and Big Mac would take two of their guest rooms, along with Granny Smith getting her own room as well. AB might’ve protested just a little about how Ion and Applejack were allowed to share a room while she and Spike weren’t. Which led into a small argument about how it wasn’t proper for either of them – two teenagers, a boy and a girl – to be sharing the same bed. And how Ion and Applejack were older, and adults, so it was different.

In the end the matter was closed and the assignments were final. From there, Applejack, Granny, Johnny, and Marigold hurried into the kitchen to start making a big Hearth’s Warming feast. Big Mac and Ion decided to get into a hoof wrestling match on the coffee table, while Sunflower sat in one of the couches, reading magazines.
Apple Bloom and Babs Seed had retreated to the refuge of Babs’ room, giving themselves some time alone to talk.

“Sorry about you not bein’ able to be with your boyfriend, Cuz,” said Babs.

“What? Oh no, don’t be sorry! Ah didn’t mean to make it sound like I didn’t want to stay in your room it’s just –”

Babs put up her hoof and cut Apple Bloom off. “Cuz, relax, I get ya. I ain’t got a problem with you wantin’ to spend time with Spike. Wouldn’t mind spendin’ some time with him myself.” said Babs as she added a wiggle of her eyebrows.

Apple Bloom’s cheeks went red. “Hey, don’t go gettin’ any funny ideas about Spike. Ah love ya, but Ah will mess ya up.”

Babs chuckled at the death threat. “Geez Cuz, ya really got it bad for ‘em huh?”

The yellow mare blushed a little more and smiled a little. “Well, ya, of course Ah do. Ah know ‘love’ is a strong word, but Ah do love ‘em. It’s just…”

Babs noticed the sad look on her cousin’s face, which made her worry for her. “Hey, what’s up? He not treatin’ youse right or somethin’ ‘cause I’ll set ‘em straight.”

“Nothin’ like that!” Apple Bloom shook her head vigorously. “No, it’s more about something that happened to him. But…can ya keep a secret?”

Babs gave Apple Bloom a deadpan expression. “Cuz, it’s me, Babs, the filly who kept the secret about you havin’ a crush on me.”

“THAT WAS BACK WHEN WE WERE LITTLE FILLIES!” Apple Bloom retorted in her defense.

“Uh-huh, and that ‘practice kissin’?”

“Not as little…BUT I WAS PRACTICIN’ FER SPIKE!”

“And let’s not forget the time ya told me about your first he– MMPH?!”

Apple Bloom quickly placed her hooves over Babs mouth, making her cease bringing up all the embarrassing things they talked about through letters and in person. The Apple mare’s current color tone could’ve mistaken her for a tomato.

“Okay, okay, Ah get it! You can keep a secret!”

Babs smirked under the Apple Bloom’s hooves and gently pushed said hooves away from her mouth. “Okay, now tell me, what’s up?”

Apple Bloom sighed a bit and looked around herself before speaking. “Alright, do ya know about that incident in Canterlot couple of years ago?”

“‘Know about’? Hay, there’s not a pony around who doesn’t!”

“Yeah, but what ya probably don’t know is that Ah was there when it all went down. And that it was my sister and her friends that stopped those monsters.”

Figures, thought Babs.

“And, also, Spike was one of those monsters.”

Babs’ eyes went wide as she took in that information. Spike, the goofy dragon, was one of three monsters that took over Canterlot four years ago. The bronze mare thought back to the few times she met Spike, remembering how funny he was and how helpful he tried to be.

“Yer kiddin’, Spike was a monster?” Babs asked in disbelief.

“Not by choice, he was possessed by a real monster that changed him into one, problem is, even after all this time, he still blames himself for lettin’ that monster take him over, for foalnappin’ me and Rarity, all of it.”

“But…ya said yerself, he was possessed, he didn’t have a choice,” said Babs.

Apple Bloom rolled onto her back and stared up at the ceiling. “Spike don’t see it that way. The monster had the power of greed, and dragons have a greedy side to ‘em. Spike blames himself because he let that greed part of himself want the power that monster had, so he blames himself for everything he did because of that, still seeing all the stuff that got destroyed as his fault.”

Babs rolled onto her back beside Apple Bloom. “Wow…that’s heavy stuff, AB. Has he talked to anypony about it? What about Princess Twilight? Isn’t she like his mom or somethin’.”

“She is, sort of, and she has, but no matter how many times we forgive him, he won’t forgive himself. Every time Ah look into his eyes, Ah can see this little glint that shows he hates himself for it all.”

Babs sighed and rolled onto her side, drawing Apple Bloom into a hug as she gently rubbed her back. “It’ll be alright Cuz, he’ll come around to forgivenin’ himself. And if not, we’ll just come up with a plan to make him stop thinkin’ about it and more on you.”

“Oh, what ya have in mind?”

“Ya tried sex appeal?”

“Shut up.”

Neither mare knew that during their conversation, an arrowhead tail rested near the crack of the door, and neither did they notice when said tail moved away.

Spike had found the roof access and went up there to be by himself. The conversation he overheard just brought back bad memories and reminded him of how he didn’t deserve to be with Apple Bloom. She was the same filly he foalnapped and tried to make her his own, and even though she forgave him, it was something that he couldn’t forgive.

At that moment, Spike heard the door to the roof access open. The drake glanced behind his back and saw that it was Ion. He walked to where Spike was and plopped onto his rear.

“You okay Ion?” Spike asked.

“I’m messing up with AJ, Spike,” said Ion.

“Okay, you’re in the doghouse now, but it’s alright, she’ll get over it,” Spike thought over for a moment and winced, “or she’s going to be like this for a little while. But she loves you.”

“I know, but she’s right Spike. I just head out and fly away to go and save ponies who are in trouble. I know it’s not a bad thing, she’s even okay with it, but why then does she seem irritated by it?”

Spike shrugged his shoulders. “Probably the same reason AB gets a little frustrated with me.”

Ion raised an eyebrow at that. “Frustrated, Apple Bloom, with you?”

“I still have my…issues from being possessed…and the stupid stuff I said to Rarity and Bloom before letting Ophidian possess me…”

Ion knew well the young dragon’s plight. Despite having been purified of Ophidian’s presence, the drake still could not forgive himself, deep down inside. Although everypony kept assuring him that all was forgiven and that it wasn’t his fault, Spike knew better, at least he thought he did. He wanted Ophidian’s power, he wanted the power of Avarice, to transform him into a creature that could take into possession anything and everything he wanted. All because he wanted to be selfish and have both mares he cared about, not taking into consideration their feelings or how they would feel.

“You were young, Spike, just a child, now you’re older and wiser.”

“Not that wise…That was the second time my greed turned me into a monster. The first time was just from getting presents on my birthday, and after that it just spiraled out of control and I almost ended up wrecking the town. The second…I wanted two ponies I cared about…so much so that I wanted the power to keep them for myself. And in the end I ended up nearly destroying the town, took over Canterlot along with two of the worst creatures on the planet, and didn’t even bat an eye when Sweetie almost died!”

Ion saw that Spike’s claws were balled into fists, clenching them in anger of himself for his past transgressions. The Entity of Willpower put on a sagely expression and spoke. “I know of someone from my universe. A warrior, one of many, called Green Lantern’s. He is considered the greatest of them all, I’ve seen his exploits through my light, and time and again he had faced great peril. Until, one day, he succumbed to great fear, and that allowed Parallax to possess him. He went on a rampage, killing his fellow Green Lanterns, leveling structures on his home world and other worlds, and even fighting heroes sworn to protect the same world he hailed from. In the end, he gave his life, using Parallax’s power to rekindle their sun, and setting himself free from that parasite.”

Spike gulped. “So…he regained some part of himself, long enough to die saving his world.”

Ion glanced to Spike. “I never said he stayed dead. Through a series of events, this Lantern returned from the dead, but of course, not all were happy to see him returned. The memories of his deeds while possessed by Parallax would not be forgotten, he became scorned and somewhat hated among his own Green Lanterns and fellow heroes. But he did not let it stop him from being the hero he was and is. And in the end, his Corps and friends found their trust in him again. You’re predicament is not so dissimilar, the only difference is that your friends, and your marefriend, forgive you. You just have to forgive yourself.”

Spike sighed as he rested his chin on the heels of his palms. “Thanks Ion, I get it, and I’m working on it. But, what exactly happened that made them all forgive him? I mean, I doubt it happened overnight.”

A grim expression befell Ion. “It’s not as if it didn’t take time for them to earn their trust again, but yes, one event helped to rekindle their faith in him. An event that nearly saw the whole universe steeped in death and darkness.”

Spike’s eyes grew wide at hearing that, the way Ion spoke of it, the seriousness and edge in his voice. He had to imagine it was something really bad if it made an Entity of the Emotional Spectrum speak of it like that. “So…what was it?”

Ion’s expression relaxed as he patted Spike on the shoulder. “Best not to speak of nightmares past, that evil was long extinguished by the light, and will remain so. Now c’mon, don’t want to keep the girls waiting.”

“Yeah, you should know.” Spike retorted.

“Oh, ouch, that hurt.” Ion lightly punched Spike in the arm, to which he returned the punch.

As Spike and Ion walked back towards the stairs, Spike stopped when he saw something strange. A single black snowflake, sticking out like a sore thumb amongst the others. Spike watched as it disappeared before it even reached him.

“Huh, that’s weird.”

Author's Note:

Next TIme:

Fluttershy talks to Proselyte about what he thinks about Sweetie Belle, as well as his and Dinky's relationship. Elsewhere, Butcher has some bloody good fun in the wintery Stalliongrad.