• Published 31st Dec 2016
  • 2,059 Views, 56 Comments

Entities of Emotion 2: Dark is the Night - Michael_Ravencroft



The Light has had its time, now the Night shall fall again...

  • ...
3
 56
 2,059

Episode 11: Manehattan Mayhem, The Light of Rage Shines!

Apple Bloom felt uneasy, there was something not quite right as she slept. The young Apple moved to her right and suddenly found that the entire right side was free, Apple Bloom opened her eyes and realized now why something felt off.

“Babs?” Apple Bloom asked as she looked around.

The young mare got out of bed and went out into the hallway, she looked back and forth and then went to search the suite. Unfortunately, when she got into the living room, Apple Bloom was disappointed to see that her cousin wasn’t there.

Apple Bloom began to worry a little, she didn’t live with her cousin, mostly only seeing her during get-togethers on holidays, or when she visited Sweet Apple Acres during the summer.

Which led to an internal debate whether to tell Babs’ sister or parents. Either they’d just say that they knew about this and would just tell Apple Bloom not to worry, or if this was something that Babs was doing in secret and hadn’t told them. In which case this could lead to a very unpleasant Hearth’s Warming for both of them.

Apple Bloom walked back into their shared room, Babs’ room, as worry started to creep into her. She knew Babs was a tough mare, she was an Apple and Manehattan mare after all, but still, that didn’t mean too much against a desperate pony from the streets. Apple Bloom had heard of horror stories about ponies getting mugged or even hurt by random ponies on the streets.

The young Apple plopped onto the bed, grunting in frustration as she tried to figure out a way to find out where Babs had gone.

As she contemplated this, a piece of paper floated down from the air and landed on her face, Apple Bloom looked about and deduced it must’ve gotten moved when she shuffled her way out of the bed. Apple Bloom saw that there were directions on one side of the paper, and a note on the other.

Dear AB

If yer readin’ this then I haven’t gotten back yet.

Ya see, I’m visitin’ a friend and bringin’ him some grub – probably a poor choice of words there.

Anyway, ya don’t have to worry, he’s a good guy, even if he don’t see it. I should be back pretty soon, but in case I’m not, I’ll leave ya the directions to where he’s at.

Fair warning cuz, I don’t want you freakin’ out so try to keep an open mind when and if ya see ‘em.

Your favorite cousin

Babs Seed

While Babs had left that note, it still did not assuage her worry. If anything it made it worse, the pony she described sounded dangerous. Steeling her resolve, Apple Bloom went to the coat closet as quietly as she could, put on a winter coat and scarf, and left the penthouse suite.

When she was outside, Apple Bloom had trudged through the snow laden sidewalks. The young mare shivered, feeling the cold, it was a little colder than in Ponyville, given that they were further north and near the ocean. Still, she continued on, if there was one thing she wasn’t about to do, it was leave her cousin alone with some stranger who could do, Celestia knows what.

Apple Bloom followed the directions as closely as she could, having not visited Manehattan that much, she knew she’d get lost in the maze that was the big city without them. The directions didn’t make it sound so far away, but the snow made it that way, having to literally push through it to get anywhere.

Babs, if Ah find ya, and yer alright, Ah’m so gonna make ya pay for makin’ me worry and plod through this Luna forsaken snow!

Just then, a sound of thunder echoed through the city, causing Apple Bloom to look straight up. “Oh no…don’t tell me it’s gonna – ?!”

The heavens opened with lightning, releasing a deluge of rain upon the city. Apple Bloom stood there, with a deadpan expression, her mane sticking to her face and back of her neck as it became matted and heavy, and to make matters worse, the letter had gotten soaked and unreadable.

“Happy Hearth’s Warmin’ to all.” It was at this point, Apple Bloom realized something was odd. “Wait a cotton pickin’ minute, there was no rain in the weather report? And…is the water black?”

Sure enough, the cascading rain water was dying the snow a black color. Apple Bloom looked to her coat, which sported some faded black streaks. Now she knew that city air could be a bit polluted, but she didn’t think the pegasi ponies would allow it get so bad that it would look black. But, something about this was not sitting right with Apple Bloom, not at all.

Suddenly, a scream was uttered, causing Apple Bloom to quickly do an about face. However, the moment she did so, it was too late. An Earth pony mare was pounced upon by a black shadow that took her into the adjacent alley. Apple Bloom wanted to go help her, but suddenly the screams stopped, followed by a sickening crunching sound.

Apple Bloom’s eyes went wide with fear at hearing that sound. She saw a hoof stick out from the alley, but she did not dare stick around to find out who the assailant was, running to the street corner and continuing to run. Thanks to the rain, most of the snow had been melted and allowed her to more quickly move through the sidewalk.

Suddenly, more screams erupted, followed by familiar sounds of glass shattering, metal crumbling, wood splintering, and bricks breaking. The only reason why she knew what these sounds were was because of the Battle of Canterlot, hearing so many sounds of destruction does not leave your memory even after four years.

It was then, with a huge crack of lightning, all the power in the city went out, making the expansive city of Manehattan go pitch black. No street lamps, and no neon signs. The only light there was came from the lightning flashes overhead.

It was in these lightning flashes, however, that Apple Bloom saw some figures approaching her from behind. Just then, an explosion went off further down the street, illuminating the area, Apple Bloom took this opportunity run again, at some point she had forgone the heavy coat and scarf, running with her body exposed to the biting cold, but that was the least of her worries right now.

More screams, breaking, and exploding went off around the city, echoing through the canyons of steel and concrete. Apple Bloom had found a crowd of ponies who were running, to where she did not know, it was mostly in a panic. In one of the fires, she saw a pony silhouetted against the flame, a claw like appendage was attached to its hoof, and with that claw it struck a pony in the chest and tore something out.

Apple Bloom had to swallow a growing need to vomit at the sight, but right now that would not help her, there was no time for that now. Apple Bloom ducked into an alleyway, panting hard as she tried to regain her bearings.

“Okay…Okay…I’m lost in Manehattan, there’s no power, its pitch black, and there’s some kind of mass murder goin’ on!” Apple Bloom looked to and fro as she assessed the best way to take. “Ah gotta find Babs, she can get us back home, hopefully Ion and AJ are already doin’ somethin’ about this!”

As Apple Bloom readied herself to run, she saw an Earth pony mare at the end of the alley, she was wearing a police pony uniform, and her right foreleg was bleeding badly.

Apple Bloom ran to the officer and quickly dragged her into the alley, she propped her up against the wall, looking at her wound as she looked for something to tie around it.

“Hold on Officer, Ah’ll get it wrapped up for ya,” said Apple Bloom.

“N-No, y-you need to run! They’re everywhere! You need to get to get out of the city as quick as possible!”

“Ah can’t leave without meh family, Ah’ll fix ya up as best Ah can, but can ya least tell me where the Grand Hotel is?” Apple Bloom asked.

“T-The hotel? It’s – LOOK OUT!”

The officer pushed Apple Bloom to the side as hard as she could. Apple Bloom rolled across the ground for a few seconds before getting back to her hooves and watching as a pegasus mare landed in front of the officer. She wore a black uniform, her fur was dull, mane shaggy, and what was more disturbing, one of her wings was decayed, showing muscle and sinew.

The officer glanced to Apple Bloom and then back to the undead pegaus mare’s white, dull eyes. “Do it ya bitch!”

The undead pony created a tentacle construct that wrapped around the mare’s neck, hoisting her up against the wall.

{The Blackest Night falls from the skies,

Let us hear your deathly cries!}

The zombie pony created a black claw construct on its right hoof and thrust it forward into the officer’s chest. The mare coughed up blood as she screamed out in pain, her body convulsed until the zombie reached back and pulled out her heart, which was glowing with a green color to it. The heart then disintegrated in its grasp, to which the zombie allowed the body to fall, unceremoniously to the ground with a thud.

Apple Bloom’s eyes were wide with horror, having witnessed a murder, and by some kind of undead pony.

{We’ll twist your souls as your light dies!}

The undead pony inhaled and the bellowed out a stream of black sludge that coated the dead mare’s body. Apple Bloom once again fought the urge to throw up and quickly picked herself up to run again, but not before turning back and witnessing the sludge enter the dead pony’s body and begin to reanimate it.

{By Sombra’s command, the dead shall RISE!}

With that, Apple Bloom ran again, she took her chances in the crowd, she didn’t know where they were going, either they were running to nowhere in a panic or they had been previously directed to go somewhere. The whole time she was running, Apple Bloom continued to see more deaths occurring, not even the sky was safe. Having witnessed as several pegasi who thought they could escape via the skies were quickly proven wrong as zombie pegasi swiftly took them out of the air, like a hawk preying on a smaller bird.

This…This doesn’t make sense! Zombies, and what’s with that rhyme?! It sounded like somethin’ Adara or Ion would use, and what does Sombra have to do with all this?! Didn’t sis and the others take care of him a long time ago?!

Her thought process was stopped when she noticed a pegasus zombie lock onto her. Apple Bloom made a beeline for an alleyway, hoping to use the narrow path to aid in keeping the zombie’s options limited to a single avenue. However, as Apple Bloom continued to run, a burly stallion, in the grips of panic and fear, slammed into Apple Bloom.

The impact made Apple Bloom fly towards the alley, and made the zombie pegasus change targets to the stallion since he was closer.

Apple Bloom continued to stumble about until she hit the back wall of the alley, landing on the ground and hearing a sickening crack. The young mare wailed as a sharp pain emanated from her left hind leg, which now looked bent at an awkward angle. She tried to bite back the tears, cursing herself and the fact that her leg might have just been broken.

Maybe it ain’t that bad, no, maybe it only feels very bad, but it’s actually just a sprain or somethin’, she thought.

Apple Bloom tried to rise, but the moment she attempted to put weight on that leg, the pain shot back up, stronger than last time and forced her to collapse onto the ground crying from the pain.

NO, NO, DEFINITELY AS BAD AS IT FEELS! Oh Celestia, give me a break, my leg’s broken, and Ah’m in the middle of a Zombie Apocalypse, can it get any worse?! Ahhh crap, why did Ah go and say that?!

“Apple Bloom?”

The young Apple looked up in the direction the voice came from, it was familiar. The pony who called her name ran into the alley, where Apple Bloom got a better look.

It was an Earth pony mare with a gray coat, her mane was opt white and done in a braided ponytail. She wore a pearl necklace, her eyes were pink behind her powder blue glasses, and with a cutie mark of a spoon and a heart.

“Silver Spoon?! W-What the – how – you’re here?!”

“Look we’ll talk later about how and why, but are you okay?!” Silver asked.

“No, Ah-Ah broke my left hind leg, Ah can’t even put any weight on it.”

Silver Spoon went over to the aforementioned leg and winced at the sight of it. “Yeah, that’s bad, we need to get you to a doctor!” The Earth mare hefted Apple Bloom up, draping her left foreleg over her shoulders and giving a grunt when she took on her weight. “Jeez you’re heavy, what are you made of rocks?!”

“Ugh, ya know, Ah have a broken leg, can ya at least spare me the insults?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Take it as a compliment, I’m not saying you’re fat, even I can tell this is muscle weight, you’re well-toned.”

“Uh…thanks?”

Slowly, but surely, Silver Spoon and Apple Bloom were making their way towards the opposite entrance of the alleyway. The whole time, Apple Bloom was amazed at Silver. She had always suspected that she was a more sensible filly, but in wishing to avoid getting bullied by Diamond Tiara, she buddied up with her and joined her in the name calling and other acts when they were fillies. If circumstances were different, Apple Bloom didn’t doubt they could’ve been friends with each other. However, as they continued, Apple Bloom was realizing something, they were moving way too slow.

“Silver Spoon, do me a favor and just stash me in one of these houses or stores, Ah’ll only slow ya down,” said Apple Bloom.

“No.”

“It don’t make sense for us to be easy pickins’ for those zombies, just let me down somewhere and go for help!”

Silver Spoon groaned. “Save me the selfless hero act, the city is in chaos, there’s nopony coming to help us with those Black Lanterns flying around and turning other ponies. The Royal Guard and Police Force will be too focused on them to be sending anypony to rescue you or anypony else for that matter. Besides, I’m not going to leave somepony I know behind to die!”

Apple Bloom felt bad for weighing down Silver Spoon, but was still happy to hear her say that. Perhaps the rich mare wasn’t as bad as she let on.

That thought process stopped when five Black Lanterns dropped from the sky and landed at the exit to the alley. The undead minions glared at the two mares as their Spectrum Vision showed them their dual lights. Apple Bloom glowed with Willpower and Fear, while Silver Spoon glowed with Compassion and Avarice.

The lead Black Lantern took a step forward, making Apple Bloom, against her better judgement, put herself between Silver and the Black Lantern, balancing on three legs. The Black Lantern grinned as it saw the Fear light fade in place of the green light of Willpower. With a single light determined, the lead Black Lantern readied to pounce on Apple Bloom.

However, a beam of vermillion light shot out of the sky and struck the Black Lantern, sending it flying several feet until it hit one of the tall buildings. The other Black Lanterns moved back as a being landed on the ground with a powerful BOOM, kicking up dust into the air.

When the dust settled, Apple Bloom beheld a strange creature. It was dragon like, but carried itself like a pony. It had pony hind legs, and dragon claw forelegs, with a long serpent like body and tail that whipped back and forth. Instead of fur, this creature was covered in orange scales, along with having pony ears and a long muzzle. Her mane flowed like clouds in the sky, upon her brow were antler horns which came to form a crown, but at the center of the crown was a symbol Apple Bloom knew all too well. The symbol of Avarice.

“O-O-OPHIDIAN!” Apple Bloom shouted.

Not quite, but we’ll talk about that later.

“Way to make an entrance Di,” said Silver Spoon with a smile.

The serpent mare smiled and then turned to the Black Lanterns, her forked tongue flicking out before she bared her fangs at the undead creatures. Her antler crown glowed with vermillion light as constructs began to form around her. Feral Diamond Dogs appeared, snarling and barking at the Black Lanterns.

Go my servants! Diamond ordered with a swipe of her claw.

The Diamond Dogs roared and charged for the four Black Lanterns. All four were then carried off by the Dogs, having their bodies torn apart by their fangs and claws. Apple Bloom couldn’t believe what she was seeing, Diamond Tiara just saved her, and what’s more, she was one with Ophidian, the Entity of Avarice. The very same Entity that made Spike into a monster and foalnapped her and Rarity four years ago.

Let’s go, they won’t stay down long, said Diamond Tiara.

“Di wait, Apple Bloom’s leg is broken, she can’t walk,” said Silver Spoon.

Diamond Tiara looked to the farm mare’s left leg and winced upon seeing it. Her antler crown glowed and both Silver Spoon and Apple Bloom were encased in a bubble of orange light. All three rose into the air as Diamond Tiara flew them to a nearby rooftop, away from the chaos so as to take a moment to breathe.

The bubble let them down gently, allowing Silver Spoon to guide Apple Bloom down so that she wasn’t on her leg. Diamond Tiara focused her energy on Apple Bloom’s leg, and immediately, a cast was sent on it, making Apple Bloom hiss in pain.

It’s better than letting it dangle every which way and making it worse, said Diamond Tiara.

Apple Bloom took a deep breath, and looked to her bully. “Thanks, Diamond.”

The serpent mare smiled, in a rather seductive manner and walked towards Apple Bloom, using her long tail to make the farm mare look up to her orange slit eyes. Well, you can repay me with something, it doesn’t necessarily need to be money, you know.

“W-What?!”

Silver Spoon sighed. “Okay, you’ve been together too long now, let me take over.”

Diamond Tiara seemed a bit put off by the idea, but a look to Silver Spoon’s eyes made that resolve melt. Before she knew what happened, Silver Spoon captured Diamond Tiara’s lips in a passionate kiss, Apple Bloom looked away blushing and wondering how those two could make out at a time like this?

But only when the orange light shined did Apple Bloom look back, and then her mouth hung open.

The vermillion light was shifting from Diamond Tiara into Silver Spoon, the united transformation faded from Diamond and now Silver began to transform. Her lower half became that of a serpent’s trunk, keeping her front forelegs. Most of her fur shifted to that of orange scales, her mane became vermillion flames as it bellowed and hissed from the rain. Silver’s glasses changed, becoming flaming embers that formed around her eyes, and the pearl necklace became one huge pearl on her chest.

Diamond Tiara had returned to her normal form, with her pink coat, long purple and white mane, blue eyes, and a sparkling tiara on her head. Both mares ended their kiss and gazed into each other’s eyes for a moment, before closing them again and touching their foreheads.

“What’s mine is yours, and you are mine,

Joined together until the end of time!

My body and soul, my very core,

The light and you, mine forevermore!”

The symbol of Avarice, which was still upon Diamond’s forehead, transferred, reappearing on Silver Spoon’s pearl.

I told you two you were fighting too long, we worked this out, said Silver Spoon.

“Sorry Silver, there was just so many of them it was getting a little crazy.” Diamond turned to Apple Bloom, who was still staring in shock of what she saw. “H-Hey…Apple Bloom…long time no see…”

With that, Apple Bloom passed out, both from the pain in her leg, and from seeing her former bully and the monster that she had thought she’d never see again.

(Stalliongrad)

Night watch was always dull, Butcher found it to be the most tedious part of his job. Being assigned to the actual border outpost meant staying in the guardhouse, with Gilda and Greta, and taking turns looking out the windows and scouting for possible trouble, either by Frost Biters or some griffon or pony bandits looking to score some goods from caravans.

However, this night was different, bad different. Butcher was on edge, the signs were there, signs that he believed that he’d never see again, especially in this universe. The burly, battle scared minotaur walked over to the barracks and found Gilda sleeping in her bunk bed, right above Greta.

Butcher then shook the griffoness, making her groan in annoyance. “Butch, there’s no way it’s time for shift change already…”

“No it’s not, but you both need to be awake now.”

“Give me one good reason why I should get out of this bed when it’s not even time for my turn yet?” Gilda asked.

“The sky is raining.”

Gilda turned around and glared at Butcher. “Really? Shocker of the century, now go back and stand watch! Jeez, the weather this far north has a mind of its own, you know that!”

“True, but in the four years I’ve been in this world, I haven’t seen it rain black rainwater, or is that common place?” Butcher asked.

Gilda poked her head up. “Wait, ‘black rainwater’?”

Butcher pointed towards the doorway to the observation room. With a growl, Gilda hopped out of the bed, hoping that this wasn’t some trick from Butcher to start her shift early because he was bored. When Gilda got the observation window, her eyes went wide. Sure enough, the landscape had been painted black from the rain, even the windows had some black streaks on them.

“What the Tartarus is this?!”

“So, it’s not normal?” Butcher asked.

“Of course not!”

Butcher snorted. “Damn, I was hoping it was. I need to get you two to a safe location and then I’m leaving!”

Gilda watched as Butcher rushed into the barracks and unceremoniously picked up Greta and stood her up, much to the griffoness’ displeasure.

“Gilda, what the heck is Butch doing?!” Greta asked.

Gilda got in front of Butcher and held up her claws. “Whoa, whoa, big guy! What the heck has gotten you all riled up?! Why do you have leave?!”

“The Blackest Night.” Both Gilda and Greta looked to each other in confusion, and Butcher groaned. “It’ll take too long to explain. Short version is: the dead are about to rise and launch an attack on all things living in this world until darkness covers it. My siblings and I must join forces with the White Lantern of this world to stop Nekron’s rise here, understand?!”

Greta and Gilda looked to each other, and then to Butcher. Both were now wondering if he was succumbing to cabin fever at this point. However, Gilda did see Butcher take on the Windingos, and then there was seeing him encased in an iceberg, as a giant red bull, so maybe there was some credence to his words.

“Okay, soooo…you’re saying we’re about to have a zombie apocalypse occur in Equestria?” Greta asked.

“Worse, Black Lanterns. They are undead, but have the power of a ring wielder, and cannot die unless…ugh…unless the green light of Willpower is combined with another light of the Spectrum, or through thee use of the white light of Life, which is held by the fledgling Princess back in Equestria proper!”

Greta leaned in close to Gilda and whispered, “Gilda…I think Butch is losing it out here, I say we try and go along with what he’s saying. ‘Cause, honestly, neither one of us can take him down, he’ll kill us!”

Gilda walked up to Butcher and stared him in his red eyes. “You’re sure about this, you’re not clowning me, right Butch?”

Butcher looked back out through the window, keeping watch for any movement. “Believe me, I wish I was.”

Gilda noticed something, two somethings. One was how tightly Butcher was holding his ax, and second, the tone of his voice. Butcher had always had this tone of calm aggression, if that makes sense? But now, his voice sounded on edge, and after seeing what the large minotaur could do in battle, and against spirits of hatred, then Gilda had reason to assume that whatever this “Blackest Night” was, it wasn’t good.

“Okay Butch, say I believe you, what do we do?” Gilda asked.

We do nothing, you two are going to be put somewhere safe to ride out this Night, and I will go into battle!” Despite the fact that I have yet to figure out how to remove this damned seal on myself! Perhaps the others can persuade that fledgling princess to remove our seals, this is not the time to be hindered by such things!

Suddenly thuds could be heard coming from the rooftop. Butcher brandished his ax, already ready to attack.

“Hey, hey, chill, it might be just some hail or something,” said Greta.

*RAAAAAAAAAARGH!*

Butcher glanced to Greta. “You wish it was hail.”

Within the next moment, the entire outpost went pitch black. The distant lights of Stalliongrad also cut off, leaving it to disappear in the darkness of the rain. Another round of thuds were heard, followed by a loud crash coming from the barracks. The door swung open and revealed two glowing white dots, and something growling in the darkness.

Butcher focused his energy, making his ax blade glow red in the dark room, allowing them to see what it was that had entered the room. It was a Frost Biter, one that Butcher had killed not too long ago, although its icy fangs were now black as night.

“Come for round two, have you?!” Butcher declared.

The Frost Biter roared out and charged for the Entity of Rage. Butcher charged for the creature, getting under it and grabbing it by the throat. The red minotaur then slammed the Frost Biter to the ground, roaring as he clenched his fist and tore off its head, chucking it down the hall.

Greta turned around and threw up, while Gilda just stood there and fought back her own urge to do the same.

Butcher rose up and focused his light on his hand, burning away the black ichor. “We need to move, now! It won’t stay down for long!”

“YOU JUST TOOK OFF ITS HEAD, IT’S NOT GETTING BACK UP!” Greta shouted.

The Entity of Rage pointed his ax towards the severed head. “Observe.”

Greta and Gilda watched as black sludge oozed out of the wound of the body and snapped like a cobra towards the severed head, reconnecting to it. Butcher focused his energy back into his ax and released a crimson energy wave that blasted the body of the undead Frost Biter, further delaying the regeneration process.

“This will only delay it, duck!” Greta and Gilda did as Butcher instructed, allowing him to slash again and throw another crimson energy wave towards the windows, shattering them completely. “Fly now!”

Gilda and Greta jumped out of the window and unfurled their wings taking to the skies, while Butcher ran and jumped out of the observation area, landing with a wet thud against the ground. Butcher charged his ax once again and struck the ground. A fissure of red light split the earth as it surged forth towards the outpost and in the next moment, obliterated the entire structure in an inferno of crimson destruction.

Butcher wasted no time and ran after Gilda and Greta, but no sooner did he do so did he hear both griffons’ cries up ahead. The Entity of Rage dashed through the melting snow and spotted his partners fighting off two Black Lantern Border Patrol griffons.

Gilda and Greta recognized their coworkers from the station, and were reluctant to fight them head on, either dodging or rolling away from their attacks. However, Butcher had no problem with attacking them. Roaring out a battle cry amidst the cracking lightning and booming thunder, the Entity of Rage jumped into the air and landed behind both griffons.

Both undead creatures could see it, with their Spectrum Vision, they could see this minotaur shining, blindingly, with the red light of Rage. For a moment, they even saw something else, a red bull with curved horns and tusks, roaring at them with all its fury.

While the Black Lanterns were still staring at him, Butcher dashed forth and uppercut the first Black Lantern griffon, turning to the second as he smashed the flat of his ax against the back of its head. The blow cracked the skull of the second griffon and sent it flying several feet away.

The first griffon came back down and Butcher was waiting. With a swing of his ax, Butcher cleaved the Black Lantern in half, separating it at the barrel and sending both halves to fall to each side. But Butcher wasn’t done, he turned to the half where the head was and fired a beam of red light at the top half from his ax, burning the upper half to keep it from attacking.

“Keep moving!”

Butcher could run really, really fast, so Gilda and Greta had to fly just to keep up with him, but they kept low to the ground to avoid any surprises and because Butcher knew better how to fight the undead.

During their run, Butcher tried to think where best to stash Gilda and Greta, really no place was safe on this night, but so long as he and the others killed Black Hand and stopped Nekron, then whatever safe haven he found would suffice.

Why do I care about them?! Before I would just charge into battle, the hell with anything else! Now…Now I actually give a damn about them and –!

Butcher stopped as a thought crossed his mind and glanced towards the blacked out city. “Sonya and Sunny!”

“Oh crap, they’re in the city! You don’t think –?!”

“I do,” interrupted Gilda, “if those two came from the station, then the city’s probably getting overrun too! Butch we have to get them out of there!”

Butcher stamped his hoof, he knew good and well the city would be the first place overrun with Black Lanterns, they tended to follow the light, and a city filled with living beings had plenty of light to devour. Which meant that the number of Black Lanterns he would fight was going to skyrocket, but without his full power, he could do very little. And yet…

“There is a good chance they have been turned…but, I can get us there…probably,” said Butcher.

Gilda nodded and the looked to Greta. “Greta, I know you’ve only known Sonya and Sunny for a little bit, but…”

Greta shook her head and placed her claw on her girlfriend’s shoulder. “If you two are going, I am too!”

“You’re not going to like it.”

(Stalliongrad City)

“I DON’T LIKE THIS!” Greta shouted.

The city was in chaos, ponies and griffons were being attacked left and right by Black Lanterns, Gilda and Greta had witnessed several of the citizens being killed before their eyes, and just as soon after rising back up to kill others.

Butcher countered each one that dared to get close to his partners, bringing down his ax on some and driving others’ heads into the pavement. Butcher hated this, it was a battle that could not be won even with his might. All he could do was merely slow them down, something that would take infinitely less effort if his full power wasn’t sealed.

After some time, the trio finally made it to Sonya and Sunny’s home.

“Sonya?!” Gilda called out.

“Sunny?!” Greta shouted.

Butcher kept watch at the door, having cracked it slightly to see if any of the Black Lanterns were approaching them, but it wouldn’t matter if they didn’t hurry, soon the city would be converted into Black Lantern undead.

“HERE!”

Butcher turned around but saw no one, he then looked down and tapped on the floor, hearing a distinct difference in the sound the boards were making. Butcher snorted, looking over the floor until he spotted the rug they usually stepped on upon entering. The red minotaur removed the rug and spotted a hatch, Butcher carefully took hold of the handle and in one swift motion ripped the door off and stood ready with his ax.

Terrified screams and a rush of feathers came out of the hole. But Butcher’s quick reflexes managed to stop the griffon from plunging the dagger she held from stabbing him. “Calm down Sonya, it’s me!”

Sonya stopped her thrashing and looked upon the familiar minotaur. “Butch! It’s you! Oh thank the Old Kings! Sunny, it’s Butch, it’s safe!”

The pegasus mare flew out of the hole and latched onto the giant minotaur, hugging him fiercely, happy to see their friend. Soon Gilda and Greta hurried downstairs and found their friends.

“The city is going crazy,” said Sunny.

“Yeah, there’s a lot to explain, and not a lot of time to tell it,” said Gilda.

Suddenly, black tendrils shot through the door. The tentacles wrapped around Butcher’s arms and legs and tugged all at once, pulling him back through the door and onto the street. The three griffons and one pegasus rushed towards the door and watched as several Black Lantern ponies and griffons circled around the Entity of Rage.

Butcher figured this would happen, the Black Lanterns were attracted to those with strong light, and he being the Entity of Rage must’ve shined like the sun in their eyes. That’s it!

The Entity of Rage summoned some of his Rage light and managed to burn away the tentacles. He then jumped back up, and swung his ax down the street, sending a crescent wave of crimson light that blasted through several Black Lanterns before exploding in the distance.

“These creatures want me, I’ll lead them away from the city – as many as I can!” Butcher declared.

“BUTCH NO!” Gilda yelled out.

The Entity of Rage ran into the crowd of Black Lanterns, swinging his battle ax to and fro, lopping heads and limbs off the undead army and every once in a while unleashing a Rage Quake or Crimson Crescent into them.

However, as sound as his plan was, there was still one problem, his light wasn’t exactly bright enough to catch all of their attention. While a good majority came after Butcher, there was still a small contingent that was encroaching on Gilda’s group.

Gilda roared at the group of Black Lanterns and brashly dove into them, bearing her claws as she slashed at their throats and used her lion strength to hurl another one into a street lamp. Unfortunately, the damage she inflicted wasn’t devastating enough to make them stay down for very long, as they mended their wounds and came right back for her.

Butcher saw this and rushed towards them, but was stopped as a black light lance was hurled and pierced his left shoulder, making him stumble to the ground. Blood poured from the wound as the black construct burned against his skin. Not much fazed the Butcher, pain was an old friend, and the constant battles he had been through had made him more or less numb to most injuries, but the black light of Death was different. It didn’t just wound him, it ate away at his being, his light.

Despite this, Butcher pressed on, seeing Gilda still struggling with the Black Lanterns.

The griffoness was fighting back one Black Lantern after the other, first a few ponies, and then fellow griffons. Some were unicorns and used a combination of magic and their black light to fire beams of deadly energy at Gilda. Some of the beams grazed her body, while others she was able to dodge, however her stamina was wavering. These things were undead, and therefore could not tire, where she was reaching her limit.

“Damn, thought I was more in shape than this,” said Gilda.

The Black Lanterns were growing tired of dealing with the griffon, there were plenty more living beings to take the light from, and killing one without taking her heart wouldn’t matter in the grand scheme of things. The unicorns’ horns glowed with black light, as well as the griffon Black Lanterns’ mouths glowing as well.

Gilda was about to fly off to get out of the way, until a black construct tentacle lashed out from the side, and grabbed her wing as she was taking off. The sudden jerk to the wing made an audible snap that made Gilda cry out in pain and fall back to the ground. Gilda gritted her teeth, no longer able to feel her wing as she saw it lay limp against her side, dislocated. She turned towards the firing team of ponies and griffons, her end was coming.

The Black Lanterns fired their beams at Gilda, and she in turn stood up, she was not going to cower before these dead monsters, and she certainly wasn’t going to go out like a punk in front of her girlfriend. She watched as Greta was held back by Sonya and Sunny as she cried out her name. Gilda smiled and then fiercely stared down the incoming beam.

But just before the beam reached her, a red wall came down before her, but this wall was made of muscle. It took a moment before Gilda realized that Butcher had landed between her and the beam, using his ax to split the beam in two. The blast went around them, parting the stream of power. But there were already visible signs that the ax was breaking under the strain of the power of the black light. The Black Lanterns sensed this and doubled the output of their beam, making it grow twice as big.

The newly empowered beam tore through the street on its way towards its targets and slammed against them, the ax could take no more and shattered to pieces, with the shrapnel imbedding itself in his chest, and right arm. Butcher ignored this and quickly braced himself, acting as a living shield for Gilda.

When the beam ended, Butcher’s body was steaming. The Entity of Rage fell to one knee, panting and bleeding, Gilda came around to his right side and glared at him. “You idiot, why did you do that?!”

Butcher chuckled. “I…I don’t know myself. I just…I just saw you about to die, and something inside compelled me to act. As much as I didn’t want to admit it to myself, I like you.”

Gilda blushed. “B-Butch y-you like me?!”

Butcher rolled his eyes. “Not in the way you’re thinking. I like Greta, Sonya, and even Sunny. I have always been a loner, a beast to forever leave a path of destruction and bloody carnage in his wake. But…being with you all…I’ve felt something else, and when you were in danger, I felt a rage different from others. ‘Righteous fury’, I think that’s what it is called, rage born from the wanting to protect someone close to you.”

“Butch…” Gilda whispered. She then put on a fierce expression and stood in front of Butcher. “I won’t let any more of my friends die tonight, especially you. ‘Cause I kinda like you too, dweeb.”

Butcher grinned and rose back up. “I won’t be showed up by a female that easily.”

The Black Lanterns charged up again and fired the same column sized beam once again. But, before the beam struck, something happened. Violet light shined between the dark beam and them, the light took on the form of an eight-pointed star, the symbol of the violet light of Love.

LOVE

The symbol shattered and Butcher felt a rush of power that made his body glow bright crimson. With a powerful roar, Butcher released that power, creating a sphere of red light that surrounded Gilda and himself. The dark beam tried to pierce through the barrier field, but it was no use, the Rage light was unyielding. A shockwave of red power surged, throwing the Black Lanterns back and away from them, and sending the other undead slamming into the walls and windows of different houses and business.

The Black Lanterns rose back and lined up to fight again, but their target had undergone a drastic change.

Gilda looked and once again beheld the sight of a giant, blood red bull. With sharp tusks on the side of its face, a domed skull, and curved horns. The giant beast snarled as it took one step forward. Its glowing eye looked down at Gilda, and yet, Gilda was not afraid.

“Butch?”

“Stay there!” Butcher then looked to Greta, Sonya, and Sunny. “You three, get back inside, now!”

Greta, Sonya, and Sunny did as commanded. Butcher’s red aura flared as it inhaled, and in the next moment opened its mouth and unleashed a hellish torrent of napalm blood breath. The burning, flaming liquid-fire bathed over the Black Lanterns, not even giving them time to scream as they were caught in the torrent, melting into black sludge that was struggling to reform them under the deluge.

The Entity of Rage shut his mouth, snorted, and roared in triumph. The red bull looked upon his form, a disturbing grin plastered on his face as he realized he had attained his full power. Butcher walked over to where the rest of their friends were, and lowered his shoulder.

“Get on, if you touch it you’ll burn.”

Greta, Sonya, and Sunny flew onto Butcher’s shoulder, he then turned around walked back to where Gilda was. Once there, all three flew off and landed next to Gilda, whose wing was still dislocated.

“Gilda, can you still move?” Greta asked.

“Y-Yeah, flying’s not going to be the menu for a while though,” said Gilda.

“It can be, if we fight as one,” said Butcher. The red bull looked down at Gilda, and Gilda at him. “I have lived for many eons, and there have only been a few who have been able to show enough strength to wield my power, or be consumed by it. But, this is the first time I am willing to Unite with a host. If you accept, Gilda, together, you will wield a power you have never known.”

Greta looked to Gilda. “Butch, why Gilda?! Why not me instead, she’s injured!”

“My power will rectify that. As great as my power is, it can be even more powerful when wielded by one with imagination and skill, one who can focus my power into something sharper and deadlier. And that is Gilda, whom possess a refreshing warrior spirit,” said Butcher.

Gilda chuckled. “You’re a real flatterer, Butch.”

“You sure about this Gilda?” Sonya asked. “Butch’s had our back, but this?”

“Sonya, I think we need to trust him, Butch seems to know more about this mess than anypony, plus, he did fight off the Windingos,” said Sunny.

Gilda nodded and walked towards the Entity of Rage, Greta placed a claw on her shoulder, her eyes almost pleading for her not to do this. Gilda smiled and gently moved her claw. “I’ll be okay, don’t worry.”

Greta, reluctantly, let her go.

“So how do we do this, Butch?”

“Place your claw upon me, and speak our oath, a willing unification must be done as thus.”

Did as instructed, placing a claw on his tusk. Red, fiery light swirled around the both of them, keeping Greta, Sonya, and Sunny out of the mass as the power of Rage filled Gilda and connected her to Butcher.

“The power of the crimson red,

Will burn away the blackest dread!

Together with power and might,

Our fury will shine – this scarlet light!”

A column of red light shot into the sky as Butcher’s form burst apart into particles of red light that surrounded Gilda and began the transformation.

Gilda felt her body morph, her center of gravity shifting. Crimson light made up Gilda’s body, changing her into a more bipedal form. Crimson armor covered her legs, with the knee guards displaying the symbol of Rage. More crimson armor formed around her arms and chest, with a helmet bearing a likeness. Gilda’s wings transformed from feathered wings to red energy wings that flapped and released scarlet light quills.

When the column of red light faded, all eyes were now on the anthropomorphic griffoness that stood before them. Now standing at the same height as Butcher was in his minotaur form, Gilda glanced at her body, flexing her claw digits. She felt so much power coursing through her, power enough that she could tear down a mountain without even trying.

“Gilda…? Are you alright?” Greta asked.

Better! I’m freakin’ super charged! Butcher’s power is incredible! Gilda shouted excitedly.

‘Focus Gilda, they are returning!’ Butcher warned.

Gilda turned around and saw as the Black Lanterns were finally able to reform themselves after battling the acidic blood breath. Gilda’s tail whipped back and forth, like a griffon cub ready to play. To her hands, Gilda created constructs of a sword in her right hand, and a javelin in her left.

Time to rumble!

Just then a green light shot forth from the sky and on the Black Lanterns.

‘Quick, fire your light at them!’

Gilda pointed her javelin at the same enemies the green light struck, the dual beams hit the Black Lantern and obliterated its body, not only that, but the black sludge that made up its body was also destroyed. The green beam continued to cut a path towards the other Black Lanterns and Gilda followed it, the dual colored beams were most effective in destroying the undead for good.

Once the last Black Lanterns threatening them were destroyed, Gilda cut off her beam, and so did the one firing the green light. All four looked up and saw as a green star fell from the sky and gently landed a couple of feet from them.

When the light faded, Gilda wore a deadpan expression. Oh you have got to be kidding me.

The being before them was a griffoness, on her left foreleg was a bracer that glowed with emerald light. Her body was covered in a black and green suit, with the green parts shining metallic like armor. The griffon wearing the suit was gray, with green eyes, and had some of her feathers tied into a small ponytail.

“Hi Gilda, and you too Ms. Greta!”

“Gabby!?” The others shouted.

“Yep!”

This is going to be a long night.

‘You don’t know how right you are.’

Author's Note:

Next Time:

Sombra contemplates the latest development with additional light wielders.

At this same time, the Crystal Empire comes under siege by an army of Black Lanterns, lead by somepony most dear to Chrysalis.

What can Predator and Shining Armor do to protect Cadance when she is pregnant and unable to unify?