• Published 30th Dec 2016
  • 16,456 Views, 1,061 Comments

The King of Love Bugs - NavelColt



Embracing the power to share love rather than steal it, the changelings work to reinvent themselves and their kingdom while Thorax seeks to introduce a more peaceful hive to Equestria.

  • ...
24
 1,061
 16,456

PreviousChapters Next
Bugs on a Train

"Trains are so cool! Why don't we have trains, Papa Thorax!?"

Sweat billowed down Thorax's face and underbelly. He watched in acute horror as Apex scampered around the train car like an adorable tornado. Eyes like daggers assaulted him from every passenger, and the king's apologetic grin grew wider every second.

Thorax had intended to chase the little changeling himself, but Tibia had assured him it was under control. However, the more Thorax watched Tibia fail, the more he became convinced that Tibia was terrible with changeling nymphs.

"Apex you little dolt, you need to sit still!" Tibia seethed through bared fangs, pursuing the drone with a burning tenacity. But no matter how close he got, Apex's agility kept him just out of hoof's reach.

"Can't catch me, Tibia!" Apex exclaimed with utmost peppiness, unburdened by what others thought of his impromptu adventure.

The ongoing commotion even drew the attention of passengers from the neighboring cars. Ponies pressed their snouts against the door windows to seek the source of the uproar. Upon spotting colorful changelings, some gawked in confusion while others gasped and quickly fled.

Wedged between all of this chaos and annoyance, Thorax's eyes hugged a spot on the opposite wall with exhausted discontent.

"Twilight," he mumbled quietly.

"Yes, Thorax?" Twilight asked, fending off death glares with her biggest smile and wave to date.

"I think I'm gonna have to maintain my stance that this was a really bad idea."

Just then, as if nature itself was concurring, an old grandmare's saddlebag sailed through the air—collateral damage of Apex's chase. Twilight's eyes trailed the bag's trajectory, and she caught it with a quick flash of magic.

"Oh, come now, Thorax. This is all perfectly natural behavior." Twilight levitated the saddlebag to its owner, who promptly ripped it from the princess's aura and left the train car with a huff.

"He's just like a foal, except with even more spunk and energy..."

Apex had managed to find his way atop one of the many lamps lining the car's walls. He gazed into the heart of the lamp in utter fascination, unaware that Tibia silently stalked him from the ground, flank in the air and creeping forwards like a predator.

"Twilight, I wouldn't have minded the idea of a train if it were just you and I," Thorax stated, watching with caution as Apex poked his hoof at the lamp. "But this is overwhelming for changelings like Apex, who've never even left the hive before. I know flying would be dangerous with the freezing temperatures around the empire, and teleporting wouldn't be appropriate for an important meeting, but..."

"I know it may—well, probably would've been the more quiet and peaceful way there," Twilight admitted, tapping her front hooves together. "But this is much more scenic. Apex is having fun, and look at the other changelings. They look really excited!"

The small convoy of changelings sitting around them looked delighted. A few had pressed their faces against the windows, watching the scenery fly by them in awe. Others admired the car's cozy and colorful interior, while a few more watched Tibia hunt Apex as ongoing entertainment.

Amused changelings weren't the only thing Thorax noticed, however. He could see that not every face was full of apprehension, fear, or irritation. In fact, a single adult mare and her young filly, sitting in the far corner, were observing the group with appreciative amusement.

"Mommy, look at the cute rainbow bugs!" the golden filly said, prodding a hoof against her mother's flank and pointing with the other. A few changelings perked their ears and cocked their heads at the blunt summary of their appearance.

"Yes dear, there sure are a lot of them, huh?" the filly's mother replied, a yellow earth pony with a short, sandy brown mane. She gave an apologetic smile to the changelings, gently tapping her daughter's head. "But you know it's not polite to stare, hun."

"Haha! Look the little rainbow bug mommy, he's runnin' way!"

"He is. It looks like he's having a lot of fun playing."

"Yeah! I like to play too!"

"You sure do. You like to play with daddy, right?"

"Oh! Yeah! He's really good at hide-and-go-seek! I wonder if the little rainbow bug has a daddy to play with him?"

"I bet he does, sweetheart."

Thorax found himself transfixed by the simple conversation. He felt his anxiety melt away in cascades.

With newfound willpower, Thorax turned his attention back to the ongoing chase.

"Alright, Apex, that's enough. I need you to calm down now."

"No way! Papa Thorax, Tibia and I are having way too much fun!" said Apex, dodging a tackle by leaping into the air and then bouncing off Tibia's snout. Said guardling hissed with irritation and put a hoof to his nose.

"Apex, I know you wanna have fun, but there are other ponies here who are trying to relax. I need you to listen to me, and calm down now."

Apex's carefree disposition deflated. The nymph met the big changeling's gaze from down the cabin, and upon finally locking eyes, Thorax softened his stern look.

"I want you to come sit with me for the rest of the ride and take it easy." Thorax placed a hoof against his seat. "If you can do that for me, I promise we'll do something fun together before I have my meeting with Princess Cadance. Alright?"

All eyes turned to stare, and the car grew quiet.

"Will you even play bug pile with me?" Apex asked. The other changelings gawked with equal investment. Thorax had never played bug pile, before or since he first left the hive.

Thorax gave a shrug, which became a nod halfway through.

"Sure, if that's what you wanna do. I mean, let's be honest, I'm already used to being suffocated by changelings through proximity, these days. But Apex, you need to relax if we're gonna do that, okay? Besides, I think Tibia needs a break, too. You've kinda worn him out from the looks of it."

"Tibia seconds that notion," Tibia muttered from the floor.

Apex beamed. The prospect of seeing papa changeling play his favorite game was too enticing. With a frantic dash, he bounded across the train car one more time, using his front hooves to climb up Thorax's seat. Once reaching the summit, he looked around for a spot to claim as his own, only to find Thorax wherever he looked. In the time it had taken Apex to cross the car, Thorax had laid himself down along the entire seat.

Thorax gave the drone a rather unsubtle, hopeful smile. Apex frowned.

"Papa Thorax."

"Yes?"

"You're trying to be a cuddlebug, aren't you?"

Thorax relished the nymph's incredulous expression.

"What makes you say that?"

"Because now you're laying down, and there's no room for me to sit."

Thorax reared his head upwards, looking down at his own haunches as if surprised to see himself stretching so far down the seat. "Oh wow, you're right. I guess I'm still not used to being so much bigger than you guys. I suppose you'll have to make do, huh?"

Thorax maneuvered his front leg to make adequate room, but Apex raised a hoof uncomfortably. The nymph glanced around at a few older changelings, scanning their faces for potential ridicule.

"Papa Thorax, you're not really gonna make me do this, are you? You know I don't like to do cuddlebug things in front of everyling..."

"Do you want me to play bug pile with you or not?" Thorax asked, his grin still strong. "You wore out Tibia to the point of exhaustion and disturbed quite a few ponies, Apex. I could get a few changelings to send you back home. I don't think quietly spending time with me is too much to ask for, do you?"

Apex grumbled under his breath, lowering his head in defeat and flopping his body against the seat cushion. Thorax laid his head down, in such a way that his snout just barely touched the nymph's. For a long moment, Thorax's magenta eyes swam around in Apex's mildly annoyed ruby ones.

"You're not gonna be a grump when we get to the empire, are you?"

"Maybe..."

"You know resting will build your energy back up for playing once we get there, right?"

"I s'pose."

The changeling king's soft eyes filled Apex's view. Together, the two listened to the monotonous droning of the train and the soothing white noise of changelings and ponies chattering amongst themselves.

A red tint held fast to Apex's face. Thorax's melancholy look spoke volumes, but he managed a smile all the same and gently laid a hoof on the nymph's head.

"I know it's not your thing, Apex. But hey, thanks for giving it a chance. That's all I wanted," Thorax said encouragingly. "Some changelings find it a little silly, but I'll be the first to admit that I love the chance to be close with you all. To me, it makes us feel more like a family."

Thorax arched his back, ready to sit up and give the drone his personal space back. But as soon as he'd made a move, a tiny hoof grabbed his leg.

"Well, maybe you don't have to stop that soon, Papa Thorax," Apex whispered, clearly trying to avoid any other changelings overhearing him. "If it makes you happy, I'll do it with you just this one time. You know, for your sake."

Thorax could spot the hidden guilty pleasure. It was as clear as a cloudless sky. Neither of them were any good at lying, and Thorax was thankful for it.

The entire train car had grown quiet. Thorax wrapped one hoof around Apex's tiny frame, gently pulling him closer. The nymph exhaled sharply, surrendering his senses to the comforting idea of a quick nap and the warm feeling of restorative love magic that came with it.

"Hey, Papa Thorax," Apex muttered while using the alpha changeling's neck as a pillow. "If anyling asks, you were really sad and I took pity on you. I mean, everyling knows you're a big softie, but I got a reputation."

Thorax stifled a laugh, lest he'd jostle the little bug pony.

"Sure thing, Apex. If anyling asks, you can say Papa Thorax overwhelmed you with a huge pout."

Apex chortled quietly to himself.

"Psst. Thorax." Thorax opened one eye and glanced out his peripheral vision to find a drone leaning over the back of his seat. "I'll let you know when we get there. I think Princess Twilight said two more hours. I'll check again. She went off to talk with some pony she knows from the other car—'Minette' or something."

"Thank you, Xenica," Thorax mumbled. "Do me a favor and keep everyling out of trouble until we get there, okay? Tibia and I are rather indisposed at the moment."

Xenica rolled her fuschia eyes.

"Now that you've subdued the tiny terror, it's smooth sailing from here, Your Highness."

"I can hear you, Xenny," said Apex vexedly from beneath Thorax's chin.

Xenica quickly shrank back into her own seat, and Thorax watched with silent joy as his youngest subject giggled in triumph.

Author's Note:

Honestly this was just a short(er than normal) segway for fun. Tibia and Apex roleplay Tom and Jerry, Princess Twilight temporarily regresses a few seasons in her decision-making under the mounting responsibility of her political excursion, and general shenanigans and feels as we slowly move towards a brighter future with changelings in Equestria. :pinkiehappy:

1: Major plot returns in the next chapter, so stand ready for even more cute and fun. :scootangel:
2: Prepare for more cute artwork on the horizon, it motivates me even more and is fun to commission! :raritystarry:
3: I've decided to add and keep the 'Comedy' tag. A lot of this story is not just casual, but also works in humor, so figured it's worth it at this point.

PreviousChapters Next