• Published 2nd Dec 2011
  • 3,407 Views, 69 Comments

Dungeons, Dragons, and a Little Friendship - Lawrence Gander



After vanquishing a cruel tyrant a group of adventurers find themselves in Equestria.

  • ...
6
 69
 3,407

Chapter 2

Dungeons, Dragons, and a Little Friendship
Chapter 2

It had been approximately a day since they reached the village; they took shifts going to and from the edge of the forest to scout out the inhabitants. Each shift exchange more information was gathered, but eventually even the supplies of the travelers began to dwindle. Action was going to be required soon.

Ted wandered into view of the dwindling campfire as night was soon coming to an end. Andur was busy tending to something over the warm coals. Ted approached and lay in front of the fire across from Andur. “Not much happened tonight, they seem to be finishing up more of the repairs. But, they still have plenty left to do.” Ted noticed that Andur was only half listening, lazily stirring the pot of stew with a ladle held out of the side of his mouth. “You're not still upset about your rations are you Andur?”

“I just... I just never expected I'd have to do without bacon... or jerky... or meat in general.” Sadness was evident on his face and in his voice.

“I told you, no living thing would need that much meat in travel rations.” Retorted Cartanis as he emerged from the tent they used for whoever needed it for sleeping. It was shoddily put together, considering how much they didn't know about their new forms. Cartanis' arcane powers helped however, here and there. “Now let’s hear Ted's report.”

“They seem to still be repairing whatever damage occurred to their little hamlet, as we noted when we first got here. I saw more of the flying ones tonight though, the Pegasai, they flew through the night sky dispersing cloud cover over parts of the village as it rained everywhere else. They seem to be having trouble getting building supplies as well. Other than that, the usual amount of activity around their town square and markets.”

Cartanis spoke up, “How much food is left.”

Andur pointed toward the pot on the fire, “Whatever is thrown together in there and a few pieces of bread still in the bags.”

“Looks like we won't have much choice.”

“Perhaps we could scavenge for more food?” Ted interjected.

“No, no, no, last time we did that we almost got eaten by the plant we tried to harvest. If Cartanis didn't have that fire spell ready I think we would have been ended right there. We just don't know enough about things around here as to what is even edible, let alone the experience of fighting in these forms to know how to defend ourselves.” Andur sighed as he realized what they needed to do. He got up from his spot and walked over to the tent, grabbing his bag of holding.

“Here is the plan,” Andur began, “I'm going to go into that town alone, in the old clothes that I seem to still have. They all seem to have some form of birth mark or tattoo on their flanks, maybe they use them for status or caste identification. Seeing as how we don't have any we can't risk too much attention. You two are going to wait at the forest's edge, from where you can see the town square. I'll try to stay in sight of you and go to the market, I doubt our money will be any good but we have to try something or we starve.” Andur then began to remove the armor he had worn for so long, awkwardly mouthing straps apart to loosen armor as he struggled to get it off properly, and then stuffed it into the bag which never bulged at the size of the items stuffed into its small frame.

“Wait, why are you going Andur? You're almost twice the size of any of those horses; you'll draw too much attention just by walking past them!” Ted stood up and stomped a hoof in protest.

“Any more attention than a zebra with wings, even if you hide them under your cloak you're still a zebra. They are all horses, unicorns, and pegasi. If zebras are anything like elves in our world, you are all few and far between which would definitely draw attention.” Andur looked down at Cartanis who was still laying by the fire. “I don’t suppose you want to contest my idea as well?”

“I won't, it's better than any I can think of at the moment, and besides if I go in there they are liable to think me some vagabond ruffian looking for trouble and either shun me or hide. I would hate to put the whole village on guard just from my presence around you.” Cartanis glumly rubbed a hoof across his face, obviously concerned over his appearance. “Just one thing Andur, try not to say anything to them. Based on their signs we can assume they speak some form of common. But your accent.... is a little thick.”

“I'll try, but you get no guarantees from me about it. I'll have to say something eventually.”

“Fine by me, but just in case something goes wrong.” Cartanis got up off the floor and walked over to Ted, and pinched a small green book off his belt which he then gave to the zebra. “I made these from my messenger book; its old network didn't work anymore so I made a new one between these three.” He then went over to Andur and gave him his own small brown book. “I modified them to open only to us three, well not strictly immunity from opening more of a resistance to deter casual observance. Also I managed to make it so you can write the text in by thinking your sentences clearly.”

Andur put his on the ground opening it with a careful appliance of his hoof and decided to test it out, clearing his mind he pictured the words in his head on the paper. Sure enough, My name is Andur, clearly appeared upon the paper before sinking into it. The green and blue books almost instantly began glowing slightly and humming a low buzz.

Ted was the first to open his and was surprised at what he saw, “It is written in Elven! But… Andur doesn't know Elven.”

“He doesn't,” Said Cartanis, “But just for an extra level of security, responses will appear as Elven in yours and mine. Andur's responses will be in Dwarven, in which he is rather fluent if I recall correctly.”

“Well thank you Cartanis, this will help part two.” Andur plopped the book into his bag of holding with the rest of his belongings. “If I don't manage to get anything right away, I’m going to have to improvise. Maybe find some work around the town.”

“What and we just wait out here in the wilderness?” Ted said sarcastically.

“If you have a better idea, I’d love to hear it.”

“You shrink to half your size and lose that mud mouth accent.” Ted retorted

Cartanis just sighed at Ted.

“We leave at dawn.” Which Andur noted, appeared to be almost upon them

Ted looked over to the fire, “I think our breakfast is burning.”

[/][/][1][/][/]

Andur looked out over to the village, standing next to the road which lead out from the woods and into the town. Looking back over his shoulder he could make out the silhouettes of his friends amidst the various foliage of the dark forest. Well, it’s now or never, He thought and began to trot out from the covering leafage, hooves clopping against the dirt before beginning to clop louder against the cobblestone road.

Then he began to approach the first house near the outskirt of the village, a small white horse was threading together materials into a tile which matched those of the house's broken roof. As Andur trotted by, the horse's ears turned back towards him before the face did as well. It looked at Andur with a curious raised eyebrow, before the mouth fell half open with a gaze slowly lifting up to meet Andur's eyes. The small stout face managed to give Andur slight pause in his trot, not sure what to do. Then from inside the house a light voice could be heard, “Dear? What’s all the racket outside.” Another appeared on the other side of a stall door, with a round head that was bandaged at the top.

The white one then looked quickly to the one in the door, concern on its long face. “Honey,” It said in a deeper worried voice, “You're not supposed to be up yet; Nurse Redheart said you needed bed rest.”

With a curious eye, the bandaged horse looked at Andur. “Who's that stallion, is he here to help.”

“I don't know, now please stop being such a stubborn mare and get back to bed.” Concern evident in its order.

So the men are stallions, and the women are mares. Andur also took note, long squared faces for the stallions then, and apparently round ones with smaller noses for mares. He moved on before the white stallion could look back at him, he thought it better to walk from then on. His large hooves did make a rather loud noise when he moved too quickly. As he approached the more open marketplace, the small horses could be seen going back and forth between piles of supplies and various houses around town. Andur looked about and managed to see a stall that shouldn't break the line of sight to the forest; he approached and was greeted by a stallion.

“Hello there sir, can I interest you in some fine carrots this morning.” Even though the vendor had done his best to not sound shocked, Andur could see the horse gaping at him with his eyes. Andur simply nodded his head in a confirming yes motion. “Well, that'll be fine. Five bits per carrot please.”

Moment of truth, Andur thought as he reached into his shirts pocket and mouthed some silver coins onto the table. The vendor raised a curious eye, and picked up a coin with a hoof. How did he do that! Andur was shocked to see the vendor holding up one of the silver coins with a SINGLE hoof.

“Sorry sir, but we only accept Equestrian bits here. I'm not really sure what currency this is.” The vendor then put down the coin amidst the others, which Andur then brushed back into his pocket. “Well if you don't have any money sir, then I can’t help you. But maybe you could help around the town a bit, we've been trying to rebuild since the disaster and well... you look like a strong pony. Head on over to the town hall board over there,” the vendor pointed to a billboard sitting in front of a large structure “I’m sure you'll find some work to your liking.”

Andur thanked the vendor, who looked confused at hearing the single word smothered by his accent. Guess it is too much to hope they could understand me; he thought and walked off towards the board.

After making sure none of the small horses were near, Ander swiped at his messenger book with a hoof. It simply slid past the cover, leaving it on his waist belt. It wasn't one of the magic unicorns, I'm sure of that, how did he do it? Andur resolved to simply, yet awkwardly, sit down for a moment to pinch the book between his two front hooves before he let it open within his upper arms. He began a message. As we suspected, our money is no good here. I'm going to try to find some work around town, they seem to need help anyway. They were rather stunned by me, but didn't seem to mind much beyond awkward stares. If you have to talk, I think we should use the word Pony to describe them or call attention, not Horse. Also, the men are referred to as stallions and the women as mares. Cartanis, one of the vendors managed to pick up an item using only ONE HOOF. It wasn't a unicorn it was a blasted regular pony, figure out how they do it! Andur allowed the report to sink into the pages of the book before continuing to the board.

As he approached the board, he saw various posts of paper about things needing work. Help with roofing, supply runs, door manufacture, glass replacement, even a few missing posters. As Andur looked about for a job that suited him he stopped on one with a barn-house on it. The poster read, Sweet apple acres is in need of some hard working farm-hooves to help replant the crops. I know we just finished planting a few weeks ago during the last Winter Wrap-up, but the disaster decimated the seedlings and we must replant. If we can manage to replace most of it now before the next rain in a few days we can cover our losses and prevent a food crisis. So for anypony who wants to help out, just head on over here and speak to Pa Smith. Who knows, if you're good enough we might even hire you as a full time farmer.

Andur patted his hoof against his chin. I always did enjoy farming before I was forced from my hometown. He looked about. Well I guess I'll have to as-

“HELLO THERE SIR!” Andur almost jumped out of his skin at the sudden voice behind him. Turning around he saw no one, “are you lost or perhaps want to see the sights of Ponyville and are in need of a ride?” Andur looked down following the voice this time, a young pony with a pink bow tie in her mane was talking to him. Looking about Andur nodded his head yes. “GREAT! Umm... I mean, have no fear traveler. For I have the answer to your woes.” The rambunctious child spun quickly in a circle and was joined by a white unicorn of approximately similar age.

As they both hummed out a little jingle, Andur could hear a buzz behind a few crates stacked up not far from where he was standing. Out from behind them shot an orange Pegasus child who wore a helmet while on a small scooter, with a toy cart joined to it, wings buzzing furiously as it gained speed. With a screech the vehicle turned into a one eighty slide and solidly stopped right next to the other two small children. The rider effortlessly back-flipped off her scooter, landing triumphantly with her eyes closed and front hooves in the air, then all three said “The Scootalong Taxi Service!” As the orange Pegasus opened her eyes to look at Andur, her mouth dropped open.

“I'm not buzzing him around town, he’s bigger than Macintosh!” she said in a huff.

“Oh come on Scootalo, don't you want your cutie mark.” said the one with the bow tie in her hair, pointing with a hoof to the Pegasus' bare flank.

“Yes I do. But I would like to still be able to fly when I get it, Apple Bloom.”

Andur then heard another voice from a distance, “Sweetie Bell! Apple Bloom! Where did you girls run off to!” a white unicorn mare with a lovely bluish mane streaked around a corner, “There you fillies are!”

As the concerned mare came closer Andur made a quick mental note, fillies are little girls, and I would guess colts are little boys.

“Oh great it’s my sister.” The unicorn filly said who Andur inferred must be Sweetie Bell.

As the worried older sibling closed the distance she saw Andur and was slightly taken aback. “I'm sorry sir, I hope these fillies haven't given you any trouble.” Andur shook his head with a no. Then scorn read on the unicorn's face, “And just WHAT exactly were you thinking running off like that in the middle of all this turmoil.” The three little fillies stared at the ground.

“We just wanted to get our cutie marks Rarity.” Apple Bloom said with large sad eyes to the white unicorn, as the other two looked towards their flanks.

“Oh this again, look I know you all really want your cutie marks. But please don't run off like that, I was really worried you might have gotten hurt because somepony could have dropped something heavy on you.” Rarity said with compassion in her voice. “Maybe we could just try to go around looking for your special talent, together, safely.”

“That sounds like a good idea,” Sweetie Bell said, gladly.

“Hey, we should help Mr. Big over here find what he’s looking for!” Scootalo shouted.

“That’s a great idea Scootalo.” Apple Bloom stated.

“We could be umm... Bodyguards!” Sweetie Bell said with an excited tone.

“YEAH! Escorting our VIP to his destination, making sure no monster brings harm to him!” Scootalo and the others began kicking and punching at pretend threats.

Rarity then motioned for Andur to kneel so she could speak into his ear. “Please play along sir, this could probably be the least dangerous thing they've done all day.”

Andur was then belted with three beaming smiling faces as if they were pleading with their very souls for him to agree. Don't say anything, umm... Andur got an idea. He turned back to the board and simply pointed to the Sweet Apple Acres ad with an outstretched hoof.

“You wanna' go to the Farm?” asked Apple Bloom.

Andur nodded his head yes.

“No problem, sir, I actually live at the farm.” the ecstatic little filly stated to his reply.

“Quick gals, to the squad car!” Scootalo announced, as Apple Bloom and Sweetie Bell jumped into the cart. Scootalo took lead position at the helm of the scooter and began buzzing up.

“Now girls, don't go off too far ahead.” Rarity scolded.

“Don't worry sis, we'll keep danger away from our Very Important Pony AND lead him to safety!”

“YEAH!” the other two shouted.

And so the group began a march westward towards the farm, the three fillies being buzzed around in their little improvised cart, shouting challenges at makeshift dangers.

[/][/][2][/][/]

Applejack loaded another cart full of seed bags; she looked out over the small group of ponies that had gathered to help with the re-planting. She sighed. Doesn't look well for the ol' farm, She then looked out over the hills which surrounded the farm, at least all the healthy apple trees made it. It had been three days ago when that strange disaster struck. Luckily, she had been in the apple cellar at the time and had been little more than shaken up. It was like thunder, Applejack saw Big Macintosh's harness hung up on the wall of the work shed, too bad you weren't down there with me. Big Mac had been out in the fields, tending to seedlings when it happened.

“Howdy, sis.” Applejack snapped out of her haze and saw her big brother Big Macintosh standing in the front door to the work shed, a little black cap over the top of his head.

“What’re you doin' outta' bed mister!” Applejack said with an accusing hoof, Big Mac only absently stared at her. Then she noticed the small chalkboard around his neck, which he then hoofed to her along with a piece of chalk.

What are you doing out of bed!, she wrote and showed to her brother.

“I can't let you do all of this alone, even with those other ponies you’re going to need me to haul around the big stuff. I won't let it stand that the farm fell apart without me trying to help,” Big Mac said in monotone, as he went over to his harness and draped it over his head. “Besides, the cap Nurse Redheart gave us works fine. I can't even hear you.”

Applejack had an unhappy look on her face, Fine, but the SECOND you start looking shaky out there you're going straight back to bed. Sound fine to you?

“Eee-yup” Big Mac stated.

Applejack then gave her brother back his board and chalk, turned and went out towards the group of waiting ponies. The shed door shutting behind her with a slam from a gust of wind. Big Mac cringed at the pain in his ears, it had sounded so quiet but it still hurt very badly whenever a noise loud enough made it through the cap. A thought danced through his mind that he may never hear his sister again, the stray mental picture struck his heart harder than he thought it would and he felt tears well up in his eyes. No, he thought to himself, even if I go deaf I can't let them all down. He wiped the tear from his eye, hitched himself to the seed cart. Pulling it outside, another gust of wind slammed the door behind him. He cringed again, but concentrated on pulling the cart through ever increasing headache and nausea.

Applejack stood on top of a box of seed as she addressed the crowd. “Those of you that are not goin' to pull plows, are gonna' split up into teams of two to plant seed behind the ponies that are pullin' plows. And to those of you that are plantin' seed, PLEASE, remember to not step anywhere that the seeds are already planted. Now, one line of plow pullers and one line of seed teams, the ground won't stay soft from that last rain all day!” Applejack got off the box, and started hooking up ponies to plows while telling the teams which seeds to plant where. She then looked off towards the entrance to their farm, after she heard a buzz on the wind. Over a hill road Scootalo appeared, with Applejack's younger sister and Sweetie Bell, racing along the road with her scooter drawn cart. Not long after Rarity appeared behind them, then she saw a truly astonishing site.

A huge, brown, bearded pony came over the hill. She trotted down to the gate to talk with Rarity. “Hi Applejack!” The three fillies said as they stopped their cart at the gate. “Hey you think we got our cutie marks!” They all quickly checked their flanks to find them blank. They each wore a rather sour expression, then Apple Bloom spoke up, “Well being a bodyguard was tiring anyway.”

“Yeah, I don't think I could scoot anymore today.” Scootalo said, splaying out on the ground. Sweetie Bell simply chuckled as she did so.

Rarity then made it to the gate, “Rarity, can I have a word with you?”

“Of course Applejack. I take it that you wish to talk about Mr. Big over there.” Rarity gestured behind her as the large Pony began walking over the last hill behind them.

“Well I guess the name fits the pony.”

“Oh that’s not his name.” Stated Apple Bloom.

“What? You mean you led a pony to the farm without even knowin' his name?” Applejack said with a stern tone to her sister.

“Well he wasn't mean at all sis, in fact he’s rather friendly in that Big Mac quiet sort of way. Besides he's only here to help out with the farm.”

“Look, you’re missing the point. You don't just do this much for a perfect stranger, how do you know he wouldn't have tried anything on the way over. It's not safe to do that!”

“He really isn't that bad Applejack,” Rarity Interrupted, “He put up with the girls’ shenanigans over cutie marks without even showing anything but a smile at their playfulness. I for one think he’s a good patient worker; no shallow bandit pony would wear such attire into town. Or keep himself so well kept.” Rarity said with an approving raised chin. At that time the big brown pony stopped behind them and looked to their faces.

Applejack eyed the big pony from top to bottom, in its flannel shirt and denim work stops on his haunches. “Well you certainly arrive prepared sir, but I am afraid I can't let you work for us unless you're willing to answer some questions. An' no funny business of shaking your head yes and no. I want real answers, and the first one is. What-is-your-name?”

Ah crud, Andur thought to himself. He had tried to think up a name on the way over. Hearing the stories from Rarity and the fillies, he thought he would have thought one up by now. Think, think, think, he thought frantically, as the orange mare in the cowboy hat began furrowing her eyes at him. Obviously not amused with his silence. Then a name flew out of the back of his mind, without thinking he blurted it out. “Mud Mouth.” Almost every pony that heard it raised an eyebrow, oh great, I probably just said some horribly vulgar curse word.

Applejack was taken aback by the name, but what she could hardly believe was the pony's accent. It was so heavy. The big brown pony looked down and scratched at the dirt, before starting to turn around. “Wait a minute. Your names fine 'n' all but I am not done asking questions yet. Now I know you’re not from Ponyville, therefore you're probably not just here to volunteer; so why are you here?”

Mud Mouth relaxed a bit and spoke again, “eye wood like tuu wurk four yew.”

Applejack had to take a minute to pick apart his sentence, I-would-like-to-work-for-you, hay seed that ponies accent is thicker than an apple tree. But why does it sound so familiar? “Well we can't just hire you on as a worker, not right away anyway. But I can let you help out with the replanting, we'll see how it all goes from there; OK?”

Mud Mouth then nodded his head in a yes motion.

“Right then, now head on over to the group over yonder and tell 'em you're here to plow. Then just listen to what Ma 'n' Pa tell ya' to do.”

Mud Mouth trotted off towards the group, while the three fillies followed him. Rarity then spoke up to Applejack. “Oh yes, Applejack I got you those casting braces and bandages you asked for. It’s too bad about Granny Smith's poor hip.” As Rarity began pointing things out in her knapsack, Applejack noticed Mud Mouth had stopped a second and had his ears listening in on them. He then returned to his pace towards the group, astonishing ponies as he walked past them. The fillies walked over to Applejack's mother and started giving out seed bags to ponies.

“Rarity, did you notice anything strange about him on the way over?”

“Oh not much darling, he just kept stopping every now and then to look at that book he had strapped to his waist. Must be a good read, besides that he just never let the fillies near that bag he has around his neck. That was the only time I ever saw Mud Mouth give them a stern look.”

Applejack looked over to Mud Mouth to see him stuffing his flannel shirt into the bag around his neck, even though the bag appeared too small, the shirt almost fell into it. As he was hitched to a plow Applejack said to Rarity, “I don't know much about him, but that Mud Mouth has a secret or two. And I wanna’ know what he's hidin' from us.”

“Oh just let it go Applejack, didn't you lecture me once about not worrying about the little things. To instead, focus on the big picture.”

“Well I guess my apple-buckin' should get done, need to save the few apples that made it.” Applejack resolved, but she still couldn't shake off all the questions and distrust she had for Mud Mouth.

“Well go on then, I'll be at your house helping your Grandmother.”

So off she went to get a few buckets and a cart to haul apples from her bucking, casting an eye towards Big Macintosh. Slowly but surely pulling the seed cart around the fields helping refill bags that had emptied. Just be safe now, and then Applejack went into the apple acres to salvage what she could.

[/][/][3][/][/]

Andur had been at work for a few hours, the sun had just begun to reach its apex in the sky. He realized a while before that keeping his “work stops” on was a good idea, the plow harness would've abrasively chaffed his flanks if he hadn't of kept them on. As he stopped to turn the plow down into a new row, he noticed the same large burgundy pony he had seen earlier with the black cap on his head. Slowly marching down the dirt road between fields, barely pulling the near empty seed cart with any speed. He looked at his seed planting partners, Dodge and Streaks, as they liked to be called. Andur did his best to talk slowly and without his accent, “Would-you-mind-if-I-take-a-break.”

The two young stallions looked up to him, “Sure Mud Mouth, we're still about an entire row behind you. Take a breather.”

the other spoke up, “I don't think I’ve ever seen anypony plow fields like he does. Well except for Big Macintosh, he's got nothing on that pony.”

“Does anypony ever?”

They had been talking about that pony with respect for much of the day, and Andur wished to meet him one day; he sounded like a hard working pony.

Streaks quickly unharnessed Andur and set the plow so it wouldn't go anywhere. Andur then trotted up to a fence separating the field from the dirt roads and easily cleared it with a hop. Landing in front of the black capped pony. Who stopped and stared at him, not sure what to expect. Andur walked up to the pony, laying down in front of him so they could see each other eye to eye. “Are you alright?” he said bluntly to him. The stallion just stared blankly, before holding out a chalkboard to him. Andur grasped it in his mouth and set It in front of him, he was then hoofed a piece of chalk. I still need to figure out how they do that with one hoof, he thought to himself. He did his best to grab it with only his teeth, receiving a strange look from the stallion. He did his best to scrawl OK?, onto the board before pinching it between his hooves and holding it up so that the stallion could see it.

“Ooh,” stated the draft pony, “I'll be fine sir, I was just hurt pretty bad durin' that disaster a few days back. Nearly shattered ma' ear-drums, long as I keep this here cap on I’ll be right as rain.” The shaky explanation from the stallion ended with a weak smile, painful twitches upon his face.

Another hurt soul from that disaster they keep talking about, Andur had asked Dodge and Streaks about it before. They only said that three days ago, a really loud wave of thunder had smacked into Ponyville and the surrounding area. Tearing apart windows, blowing doors off hinges, and removing rooftops in a few cases. Dodge's mom had apparently been doing dishes and the kitchen window embedded some of itself in her skull. She was doing well, from what he said. But this stallion in front of him, Andur had seen something like this before. If he kept up like this, and he quite possibly was, he would be lucky to even be able to hear thunder. He looked towards Dodge and Streaks; they were busy planting seeds in the opposite direction. Andur checked behind the seed cart and in other directions, no one was within eyesight or was otherwise too busy. Andur looked into the eyes of the stallion; even without looking at his face he could see the pain in them. A pain deeper than the physical stress of his ears, it was emotional, worry... no, fear. Fear for someone close to him.

Andur closed his eyes, he made up his mind. Clearing his head he offered up a prayer to his god, Pelor in your mercy we are humbled, with your judgment you aid the weak. Give this poor young soul reprieve from his misery, it was not of his fault that he now suffers. Even in this state he seeks something, I see it in him, and he fights his condition for one he loves deeply. Give him your blessing. Andur felt the warmth of his power flow through him, and then dim. With his prayer done he opened his eyes to see the young stallion with his mouth half open in amazement.

“Wha- What did you?” Before the stallion could finish Mud Mouth took a hoof and began sliding the black cap off his head, Big Mac quickly threw up one of his own to stop him. Sternly replying to the move, “DON'T do...” His eyes opened wide, my voice, Big Mac was stunned, it doesn't hurt to hear it! He only looked at the big brown stallion that gazed into his eyes; once again his own eyes welled up slightly.

“What can I call you?” Mud Mouth asked easily to him.

“Big Macintosh is my name, but just call me Big Mac.” Big Mac stated as he wiped away the wetness around his eyes.

“Well Big Mac, would you mind keeping what happened just now a secret?”

“Eee-yup.”

“Thanks.”

Big Mac watched as Mud Mouth got up, trotted around a corner and hopped a fence back to his plow. When Big Mac had seen him from a distance, he knew he was supposedly large. But, that pony was huge! And what did he do with that medallion around his neck. Big Mac pondered the thought of what just happened as he slid the cap back on, not as tightly as before though, he still wanted to hear. What did he do with that strange light? Big Mac took one of his hooves and stomped it against the ground a few times, just listening to it clop against the dirt road. I almost don't believe it. Nurse Redheart told us that there was no magic, no medicine, in all of Equestria that could speed my healin'.

Big Mac looked back at Mud Mouth, who was joyously walking along with his plow. Now a thorough two rows in front of his seed planters, who seemed to be frantically attempting to catch up while still being careful. Who is that pony? Big Mac thought, and why did he sound like uncle McScotty?

[/][/][4][/][/]

Andur lay on top of the bed within the small two story cottage the Apple Family had set up for traveling workers who stayed on through the harvest season, he was still surprised he was able to fit in the bed; he guessed the family had done something when he wasn't looking. Seeing as how he managed to plow not one but two fields that day, and was also the only pony who had stayed once the work was done, he was hired on as a farmer with the family. Given lodge and a pay of about thirty bits a day, Andur was happy with what he was able to carve out for himself.

He looked back to the messenger book in front of him; it laid splayed open, pages blank. Why won't either of them ANSWER! Andur fumed. Earlier in the day he had gotten a report in blue here and a report in green there, each representing the color of either Cartanis' book or Ted's book he assumed. But for about the last hour, no one was messaging. The last message from Cartanis read, I did it Andur, I can pick up stuff with one hoof. Words on paper are no good for teaching this skill, oh just wait till I tell you how it works! Which was followed by various images and squiggles, Andur guessed the wizard forgot to clear his mind when sending the message. The last message from Ted did not make things any clearer; it was just a large splotch of ink.

Andur quickly shut the book when he heard a knock at the door to the cottage. He opened the top half of the door and saw Big Mac standing there, “The Apple Family officially invites you to dinner in the household. That is unless you have something else planned?”

Andur was quickly distracted at the thought of food; the last thing he had to eat had been the bread ration he brought with him. Which he had devoured hours ago as a lunchtime snack, his stomach let loose a growl of hunger. “I'd be delighted” Andur responded to Big Mac's question.

“Good then, it'll be ready soon, you'll hear the dinner bell. See you there.” As Andur turned to walk back to the bed Big Mac noticed something, “Say Mud Mouth, could you do something for me?”

“What?”

“Well I see you don't have your cutie mark yet, now I don't mean to impose, and I don't need to know why or what long story you have about it. But, please wear somethin' over your flanks, my little sister and her friends are kind of going through an... extreme phase about it right now.”

Andur gave an approving nod as the stallion shut the door and began walking off into the distance. YOUR cutie mark? YET? Andur contemplated, so they must not be birth marks, definitely not tattoos either. Andur fished the flannel shirt and work stops out of his bag of holding, seeing as how it was all he had besides his armor to wear.

[/][/][5][/][/]

Applejack went to the bell outside of the house and began ringing it aloud, “SOUPS ON EVERYPONY!” She looked across the acres of plowed land, all seeded and ready for the next rain. She could hardly believe that they had managed to do it in one day. Then one of the cottage doors opened across from the house, a cleaned and clothed Mud Mouth slowly trotting through the dirt roads towards the barn-house. Maybe he wasn't such a bad pony after all, he did go to all that trouble to plow two whole fields.

Applejack wandered inside the house and helped her mother set the table for all the guests they would be having tonight, the regular seating plus a few others. As the fillies, Apple Family, and Rarity began seating themselves Mud Mouth wandered through the large stall doors from the outside. He smiled gently and was shown to a place at the table where he could lay down, that way he could be eye level with all the other ponies who were sitting around it. Rarity spoke up, “Oh darling is that all you have to wear?”

Andur absently nodded his head yes at the sudden question.

“Oh then you must come over to my boutique tomorrow, I’ve always wanted to try to make a rugged extra large sized functional work ensemble. Could be the first to get my hoof in the door on that one, oh the stars I could attract with a line of clothing like that.” Rarity began day dreaming wildly about her idea.

“That sounds like a nice idea.” Andur stated as he bit into a biscuit on his plate.

Applejack rubbed at her chin, she could remember that accent from somewhere. But where, “Say Mud Mouth, where are you from?”

Andur stopped chewing for a moment, think quick part two, he thought to himself.

“Wait a minute let me guess,” Pa, Applejack's father, stated. Let’s see. Full beard and mustache, that slurring accent of words. He is a little big but he has the build of one from there, YES, he has to be from there. Pa creased a smile across his face, “Clydesdale!” he said a full grin now apparent on his face. Mud Mouth resumed chewing and just politely nodded to the answer. “I told you all he sounded just like my brother McScotty. It has been so long since I heard that accent, I nearly thought I forgot it, but when you come from there,” Pa cleared his throat, “eet nevar coompletl'y leav's yew!”

That was why it was so familiar, I haven't heard from Uncle McScotty in years. Applejack thought to herself.

Rarity spoke up, “Well it has been lovely with you all, but I think I’m going to take a plate up to old Granny Smith, change her bandages, then head home.”

“Thanks for letting me spend the night sis.” Sweetie Bell said.

“Of course dear, Scootalo was already and I figure a farm is a better place for you fillies to be than in town with all that construction going on.”

As Rarity disappeared up a flight of stairs with a plate floating in front of her and her knapsacks on her back, small concussive sound waves could be heard at the dinner table. Everyone immediately stopped enjoying themselves and got very quiet, Applejack trotted over to a window, opened it and stuck her head out. Over the town of Ponyville she could see lights, below a streak of light from the ground shot into the air, before ballooning into a star shape of many colors. Then another sound wave met her ears, “It's OK everypony, just some fireworks over at town. Not sure why though, maybe Pinkie Pie is up to somethin'.” She had been over a little earlier all excited over some new unicorn in town, Applejack mentioned Mud Mouth and all it did was make her giddier, break into song, and go on about a block party for the two new ponies.

All the ponies relaxed a bit and went back to their dinner. Mud Mouth spoke up, “I was wondering something that I wanted to ask you.”

Pa looked up from his plate, “Yeah, about what?”

“I have some friends in town, two to be exact. We split up this morning to try and find lodging. I've been trying to get in contact with them, but if I do. Would it be alright if they bunked in my cottage with me, I’ll take a pay dock if it's necessary.”

“Well, I’m not sure there is room in there for two more ponies from Clydesdale. Especially if they are your size.” Pa chuckled.

“Actually my friends are just a unicorn and a zebra, they shouldn't take up too much space. We travel a lot, pack light and all that.”

“Oh wow, a zebra. I thought Zecora was the only Zebra I would've heard about in these parts.” Pa then looked over to Ma for a joint approval to Mud Mouth's question. She simply smiled and gestured for Pa to go on. “Well you have Ma's approval, so you have mine. Hope your friends are as good-natured as you.”

Andur simply smiled to himself, Well that is one problem in the bag, now to find them. It was at that time which a strong gust blew in through the open window, lifting Big Macintosh's loosened black cap off his head and landing it solidly in some mashed potatoes. Everyone at the table immediately froze; Big Mac looked around eyes wide.

Then Rarity came galloping down from the flight of stairs, hooves echoing against the wood floor. “YOU’RE NOT GOING TO BELI-!” But she was cut off from the venomous glares of the parents and Applejack. She noticed Big Mac and quickly put her hooves to her mouth, looking very sorry.

When Big Mac didn't even flinch to the ruckus, Applejack became confused, gaining some courage to speak. “Big Mac? Are you all right.”

“Eee-yup”

Applejack didn't get it, if he wasn't deaf then how did he not curl up in pain. Nurse Redheart said it would take Months for him to be fully recovered. Applejack looked to Mud Mouth, who looked a little worried. “What did you DO!?” Applejack galloped across the room to Mud Mouth's side and started shouting, “I saw that weird magic bag of yours, you're not an earth pony. What kind of fancy spell did you use, huh? Is Big Mac your slave now too?”

“Applejack.” Pa said

“Did you force all those other ponies home, so we would have to pick you!?” Applejack said, poking an accusatory hoof into the side of Mud Mouth.

“APPLEJACK SMITH!” Pa shouted, slamming a hoof onto the table.

Applejack stopped.

“Now I am sure, we are all a little flabbergasted. But I am sure-”

Andur cut Pa off, “Actually sir your daughter is partially correct.” eyes began wandering towards the large pony. Then his book began to vibrate and buzz slightly, he quickly pinched it and opened it. In blue writing a short message read, Ted got himself in a spot, I need you at the town hall in the square. NOW! Andur realized how many eyes must have been watching him for a reaction. He got up from the table, “I am truly sorry, I do owe you an explanation for everything. If I do come back I promise you shall get it, but my friend is in danger and I have to go. If I don't come back just know that your son, and quite possibly your grandmother, have no strings attached to what I have done. You good ponies have nothing to fear from me, I swear on my faith. Now I must go.” Andur quickly trotted out the door before breaking into a full gallop past the entrance of the farm towards town.

“Your just gonna' let him go?” Applejack asked with a confused look.

“Just calm down sis, he gave us-” Big Mac started

“Gave us a bunch of hooey that's what. How do we know he isn't just goin' to split the second he gets his friends together? Now I'm finding out what he's being all secretive about, today not tomorrow.” Applejack galloped out of the house after Mud Mouth.

“Oh sometimes she can be such a stubborn old mule!” Rarity said, chasing after Applejack. A mix of concern and frustration on her face.

As the drama cooled down in the house, Pa looked over to Big Mac. “Did he really heal you somehow son?

“Eee-yup.”

“Well I still want his explanation, but I think we can give him some time.”

“Eee-yup”

“Too bad Applejack is so stubborn, but then again she's always been that way hasn't she?” Ma interjected.

“Eee-yup” The father and son said together.

He's just some big lying brown snake! I'll get an answer out of him and help Big Mac, there is no way some earth pony who uses magic can do things like that without strings attached. Applejack saw an image in her head, of Big Mac unconscious in the fields, seeing her mother cry. The fear on her father's face, hearing Apple Bloom asking constantly if he was going to be OK. Never again... NEVER AGAIN! She galloped as hard as she could after him.

End Chapter 2