• Published 2nd Dec 2011
  • 3,410 Views, 69 Comments

Dungeons, Dragons, and a Little Friendship - Lawrence Gander



After vanquishing a cruel tyrant a group of adventurers find themselves in Equestria.

  • ...
6
 69
 3,410

Chapter 9

Dungeons, Dragons, and a Little Friendship
Chapter 9

Cartanis was in thought, How long has it been and why does this place feel so familiar? He continued to try and contemplate how long he and Rarity had been loosely floating within the strange sphere of light as it moved about a strange place.

“Where do you think we're going?” Rarity spoke up, her voice carrying a strange echo as all the noises in this place did.

“I already told you I-DON'T-KNOW!” Cartanis snapped back, he looked over his shoulder to see her giving him a disapproving frown over the tone he had taken. He sighed, “Sorry... I just really, REALLY, don't like not understanding what's happening in front of me.”

“I can perfectly understand a little agitation over our predicament, but constantly fretting over it won't help us any.”

Cartanis knew that worrying wouldn't help them, but he was just trying to make sense of what happened. He ran it over in his mind one more time, That strange power surged through me, and then I was floating about the fairgrounds. I felt that power pulling at my arcane control, directing me and using it. The elements didn't just bend to my will, they were submitting to it. After it was water under the bridge, all of a sudden we are here now; floating amongst this strange orb, just me, Rarity, and her necklace. Cartanis knew that since Rarity's necklace was the only article of 'clothing' that had followed them it was more than likely a big part of this, and he had asked her about it, only to have her dodge the question time and again.

Cartanis looked over to Rarity; she was once again eying her necklace as it continued to glow around her neck, worry written across her face. He asked one more time, “I want to know.”

Rarity didn't look him in the eye.

“Please Rarity,” Cartanis talked as calmly as he could, “I just need to know. I need to know something concrete, because frankly all of this mystery is driving me insane. I don't know where we are, I don't know why we can't use our powers, I don't know what talked to me back at the fair, and I just...” She still wasn't looking at him, he threw his hooves up in frustration, and as he began spinning slowly he grew a little sullen and decided to continue.

“Have you ever wondered that perhaps if you had known something... something important, you would've been able to stop a catastrophe?” He smiled slightly, “Or maybe, if you had focused on something else in your life, realized that it wasn't all about work earlier.” he laughed a little, but couldn't keep himself from growing sad, “It still makes me think... It's been thirty years... and I still think about it. I know I can't change what happened, that she loved me with all her heart, and I know I won't let anything like that happen to any other. So Rarity,” he looked back to her, determined to get an answer, “help me out here. Whatever set up that trap is still loose in your world, and floating around in this purgatory isn't saving anything from it. Just give me an answer, we might still be able to stop another catastrophe.”

Rarity finally looked him in the eye, “I suppose you make a valid argument.” she loosely fiddled with her necklace, “You are well read on Equestria's legends are you not?”

Cartanis managed to finally stop his lazy spin and gave her an affirming nod of his head.

“Then you should understand when I tell you.” she pointed to her necklace with one of her front hooves, “That this is an Element of Harmony.”

Cartanis was flabbergasted. “But... those were only used by your goddess, how in the world would something that powerful fall into the hands, hooves, whatever, of some common mortal being.”

“Well that's your answer Cartanis, as silly as it may sound, it is reality.” she huffed, “and I am not common.”

He rubbed his hooves against his temples, “OK fine, then I guess that means you were the one who defeated Nightmare Moon; but how would you do it with just one of the six-” He realized something, “Would it be safe to assume that Rainbow Dash also has one of these, and quite possibly Applejack as well.”

Rarity was a little surprised, “Either you are a very snoopy pony, or they don't keep secrets well.”

Cartanis drew some pride from his inquiry. “A little from column A and a little from column B. Now would you please explain how you acquired such fantastic relics?” He had both his hooves clasped in front of his face as he drifted into thought, listening to her story of the night when they went through the Everfree to the Lunar Castle ruins and the events that took place within.

Rarity concluded with the words Celestia spoke to them, “I was unable to let myself destroy my sister when I had the chance all those centuries ago, after I had shown my love for my sister, one of the elements made itself known to me. For a brief moment it spoke to me, it told me of what my sister had done, the ancient magics she had foolishly used. How I would be unable to save her, but that I still had one hope. Using the power of the element I locked her away within the moon, to await the day you six would arrive in the world, the six who would become the Bearers of Harmony and undo the damage my sister had done to herself.”

“Damage? What damage?”

Rarity shrugged. “She never really described it to us. She said that those were the words the element had used, Luna herself didn't seem to remember much about her time as Nightmare Moon. Almost like it was a different pony, poor dear, she was so shaken.”

“So if the elements are alive in some respect, not even your goddess knows much about them, and they only appear during times of great danger to the safety of Equestria at large.” he clopped his hooves together a few times, “But why would it keep us here? If the danger was passed it should have settled like it did with you and your friends when Nightmare Moon was vanquished. Why does it still make use of me and you?”

A deep resonating hum began to be heard within the confines of the sphere. It grew louder, constantly changing in frequency.

“Oh what now!?” Rarity shouted as she noticed her Element was glowing brightly again.

The hum eventually seemed to harmonize with another ringing sound in the air, slowly bringing a calm background noise into the sphere.

“I would like to say, that we have arrived wherever this thing of yours was taking us.” Cartanis said.

The bright light of the sphere seemed to fade; a world was hazy amongst them, slowly clearing as though a fog was being lifted.

Cartanis' jaw dropped, he looked down at himself, taking note of his ethereal equine form. “But that can't be, how are we here. How in the name of the gods are we HERE!”

[/][/][1][/][/]

Applejack trotted into the library, it had become a kind of HQ for the patrols they had going about the town. More than a few local ponies had decided to help out, and it let the others catch a few hours of sleep. Applejack insisted on taking one of the first patrols, and was now plenty tired herself. As she went inside she noticed Andur was already up, ready to go if not a little groggy. “Nothing to report out at the farm and the western edge of town.”

He looked up from his thoughts, “Oh, well that's good.”

Applejack wanted to get back to her room at home, but Andur's constantly worried gaze was eating at her. “What's gotten you all ruffled up? Well, besides the fact of a walkin' apocalypse that could strike the town any minute.”

“Just a possibility... something I can't confirm, something I should ignore, but still it eats at me like I missed something.”

Applejack just raised an eyebrow at the strange answer, when all of a sudden Ted burst through from the basement door. “How long have I been asleep!?” he shouted.

Andur just rolled his eyes, “You do know it’s not that big of a deal, right?”

Ted galloped over to his friend, grabbed his face and looked him in the eye, “I asked a question, and I want an answer!”

“Five hours.” Andur said as Ted finally let go of his face.

“I overslept!” Ted frantically began pulling his armor out of his bag and was busy equipping it.

Applejack looked confused, “How do you get away with being so bright-eyed on only five hours of sleep?”

“I've already told that joke, and I don't do rehashes.”

She just rolled her eyes, Wish I could get away with five hours and be that ready to go. “Well if that'll be all, I’m going to go get some sleep myself.”

As she was given her goodbyes and had turned to leave, she noticed Fluttershy trotting through the streets over to her. “What's scared you so bad? I thought you were headed home.”

“I was going to... but I wanted to check on Applebloom, and well...”

Applejack wanted to lessen her friends worry, “It just looks worse than it is, she just-”

“It isn't about your sister.”

“Say what now?”

“It's about your mom.”

Concern showed upon her face, “But she wasn't even... how-” the look upon Fluttershy's face told the truth. Applejack didn't even look back to her friend as she galloped off towards the Clinic, she didn't feel so tired anymore.

[/][/][2][/][/]

Wait... Listen...

The orderly looked over various charts next to the patient’s bed, “My, my, you're a lucky one indeed. That rubble should've crushed your bones to dust, but it looks like you're getting away with some braces for a hairline fracture.” the orderly looked over to see Rietta was still staring at the wall, a blank stare upon her face. She's been like that since she got here. The orderly was called from the room to help move around some supplies.

“You think the Dungeon Master's slipped her something?” the orderly asked another.

“What makes you think that?”

“I helped wheel her in here, and her back legs were flattened. We didn't have time to set them right away though, but look at them now, just a few hours later and they practically don't even look bruised. I heard that they have some special-”

Their voices trailed off as they went down the hall to help other victims from the disaster last night.

Wait...Listen...

Hello my sweet, a voice echoed within Abigail's mind.

Her own thoughts silenced and awaited orders.

You know what to do, just try to keep them guessing as long as possible, and then rendezvous at my position with whatever is left.

Stealth.... Efficiency... Damage Control... Her orders echoed through her mind. She quickly ran through a checklist of her symbiosis with her new body. Not complete... However it is sufficient...

A mare nurse wandered into the room, “How are we feeling today?” she took note of how the patient who had been in shock for the whole night finally seemed to be more active.

Abigail looked over the pony, Body type, eye color... match. Coat tone, mane color... close enough. “Water would be nice.” Abigail imitated the voice of her body, using words that floated around in its memory.

The nurse wandered over to a cart in the room, pushed it closer to the bed and began pouring a cup of water.

As the pitcher was set down Abigail quickly sat up, then wrapped one of her limbs around the nurse's neck to prevent a shout, with her other hoof she placed it against the base of her skull. The nurse attempted to struggle for a few moments, before a sharp pain passed through her, and then she went numb from the neck down. As she slumped to the floor, she was able to make out a strange boney protrusion receding into Abigail's hoof, and the world grew dark as her life left her body.

Abigail quickly made use of some bandaging on the cart to cover the incision she had made on the nurse's spinal column. As she undid the bandaging and rods that kept her legs still, left her bed, and shut the door to her room. She swapped clothes with the nurse, the patients robe she was wearing changed places with the small nurse's vest and hat. The body was placed on her bed, covered as fully as possible by the blanket, and made to look like she was sleeping. Abigail took the charts she had on the bed, and stuffed them into a cabinet in the room. She looked at the tag on the vest, it read Aidwell. Abigail took a minute to look over the biggest identifier, a ponies 'cutie mark', she molded the flesh over her flank to reflect the image she saw on the corpses own. With her disguise more or less finished she returned to her mission.

Begin... Maintain anonymity... Find targets...

Abigail left the room and ventured into the halls, trotting along attempting to look busy with other activity whenever she was approached by a worried face asking her which room had whom in it. She went about looking within various rooms, Not suitable... was the thought that echoed through her mind for most of them. Sample sizes too small, must find larger batches. Each room she had checked looked like it was meant for only a single pony for minor complications, Efficiency must be maintained... Must begin process in large sizes to avoid suspicion... Fool... Panic...

“Aidwell there you are.”

Abigail was stopped by a white mare.

“I know you're new, but we need you over in intensive care, there are a lot of patients to move.”

Abigail followed the pony through the halls, passing many rooms until they had gone past double doors that seemed meant for only medical personnel. On the other side there was far more activity, various stallions and mares dressed in white attire and wearing red crosses trotted about between rooms. Pushing carts and gurneys with patients to rooms down hallways, and into elevators.

A voice interrupted Abigail's observations, “Nurse Redheart, there you are.” both turned to see another orderly trotting through the doors behind them, “The Apple family is here to see Applebloom.”

“Oh, let them through, I'll be in room two thirty-five.” the orderly nodded as he trotted back through the double doors. “This way Miss Aidwell, sorry but the elevators are needed for more important things.” Abigail once again followed her up a flight of stairs, and through the hallways. Eventually entering a room on the second story. “Now I need you to administer some pain reliever, minimal dosage, we don't have much. Then take them each to their own room in the urgent care wing, we need to free up space over here in intensive for the worst cases.”

Abigail took note of the six injured ponies in the room, two of each variety, one of each gender. Test bed found...

A mare wandered into the room, “There you are,” she peeked out of the room, “I told you the orderly said room two thirty-five.”

“Hello Pearmina.”

“Oh please Redheart, just call me Ma Smith.” she said back.

“I'm just finishing a quick briefing with Aidwell here. Applebloom is down the hall with the other foals.”

“Is it that bad?” she had worry on her face.

“No, no, we had a mix-up from all this activity and needed to set aside a room for all the fillies and colts. Your daughter has little more than some nasty scratches and a sprained ankle, we'll have her discharged within the hour.”

Pa Smith then made his way into the room, he gently nuzzled his wife, “It's not your fault hun, we had no idea what was gonna happen last night.”

The couple followed Redheart out of the room, leaving Abigail alone with the unconscious inured ponies. As the door closed Abigail went about readying what she was given last night, the vial within her stomach was vomited upon her hoof with a dry heave. The black substance within remained motionless, she then popped off the cork and swallowed the contents, the substance writhed and reveled within her listening to her beckoning call as though a child. She looked about her subjects, and with an estimation split the substance into twenty pellets within her, ready to be administered how she saw fit.

She molded her bones to be hollow down her front leg, she outstretched a hoof and pressed it to the throat of a pegasus, she felt her makeshift proboscis pierce the throat ever so slightly, and then a pellet was injected through the tube. She did the same to the other four ponies in the room, making use of a slight anesthetic she was provided with earlier. As she made it to the last pony, the second earth variety in the room, she was interrupted by a noise. The pegasus she had injected barely half a minute ago was already convulsing and coughing furiously.

Unexpected... Too Soon... Inefficient use of resources...

As the other ponies began having early reactions, the noise was becoming a problem.

Recalculate ratios... approximately one-hundred thirty-seven injections left with adjusted dose... Finish room... begin large scale... Abigail turned back to see the last earth pony had woken up from the noise, he was bandaged around the mouth heavily and was wearing a neck brace. Fear was evident on his face as the proboscis extending from her hoof closed on his throat.

“What’s going on in here?”

Abigail quickly retracted the proboscis into her hoof, turning she saw a few orderlies and a nurse had entered the room; they seemed unaware of what she had done. As she turned back to the last pony, she morphed her teeth into fangs, and bared them at him. Upon seeing this he began mumbling and thrashing about in his bed frantically, she quickly changed her teeth back and once again imitated a voice she had heard, “They are not stable, somepony help me with this one.”

As the orderlies restrained the frightened pony, the nurse approached and took a needle to inject some tranquilizer; he only became more frenzied as he slowly dazed from the effects. Watching as the strange monster snuck out of the room unnoticed. He could barely hear the ponies around him,

“What's wrong with them?”

“I don't know, but it can't be good... Hay seed we're losing them. What happened!?”

He tried to say something, but the brace they had him in prevented him from doing so.

“Take them to observation.” the rest of the words traveled off into a dull echo as he began to fall unconscious.

[/][/][3][/][/]

Fluttershy followed Applejack closely, her friend was frantic as they went to the northern edge of the town square where the new clinic was built, for a year ago when the old clinic had become too small for the population of Ponyville a brand new three story one was built to help accommodate the increase in ponies. It sat between a few loosely scattered houses, and as the sun was just starting to dawn it was casting everything in an orange hue.

Applejack went through the front doors to the Clinic, inside various families were about the waiting area hoping for news of loved ones. She went to the reception desk, “Is there a Pearmina checked in anywhere?”

The receptionist flipped through a few books on the desk in front of herself, “We have a pony of that name in... but I’m afraid you can't visit.”

“Well why can't I?” she said agitatedly

Before the receptionist could respond, Applejack saw her father wander out of the doors from the intensive care area, followed by her little sister who was carefully wandering around on three hooves trying not to hurt her bad foot.

“I'm not through with this yet, ya hear?” she said to the receptionist as she and Fluttershy walked over to her family.

“Hey Dad its Applejack,” Applebloom seemed to brighten a little when she saw her older sister, “howdy sis!” she cringed a little when she put too much weight on her sprained ankle.

“Just cool your britches little missy.” Applejack looked to her dad, “What happened to mom?”

Pa Smith took a long breath, “I don't rightly know. She left the room to get some water-”

“I didn't mean to!” Applebloom cried out.

“Shhh, it wasn't your fault.” Pa Smith continued to console his daughter as she had tears in her eyes. “Fluttershy, would you keep an eye on her as I bring the cart around. She's been through enough today, and Applejack needs to know.” Fluttershy nodded and sat next to Applebloom as she continued to sob every now and then, doing her best to console the filly.

“What happened Pa?”

As they exited the front door they wandered around the street corner to a cart parked nearby, “Like I said, Ma left to get some water, Applebloom was kind of thirsty and they didn't have anythin' in the room at the time. She came back, with Fluttershy, and after she laid the pitcher of water down she wanted to rest for a bit. Then... she just passed out on the floor. Before I knew what happened a few nurses barged into the room and whisked her away. I asked if Fluttershy would go find you, and I tried to get answers out of them, they only said that she was going to be under observation until they could determine somethin'.” Pa had worry written over his face, “They looked afraid Applejack, like they hardly knew what they were dealin' with.”

Applejack also had worry for her mother, “Maybe Fluttershy knows-” but she stopped when she noticed a familiar figure galloping down the road. It was Andur, and he didn't look too well.

He noticed them, looked between them as if he was looking for something, and then continued on towards the clinic.

“Hold up there,” Applejack stepped in front of him, “What happened Andur? By the looks of things you just got into a tussle with a hoard of angry cats.”

“We have problems... big problems.” Concern was evident on his face that was covered in slashes and scratches, his armor was marked by vain attempts to cut through it.

“Whoa, whoa, hold your horses and start from the get go.”

“We don't have the time to stand and talk, you follow and listen or you get out of the way.”

She only heard him sound so determined once before, and she knew it must be important, “Then lead on.”

He sighed and scorned himself, “Forgive my blunt threats but we really may not have much time, every second is precious.”

As Andur marched to the front doors of the clinic, he noticed Fluttershy escorting Applebloom to the cart parked just outside, “Andur? Oh my...”

“Don't worry about me Fluttershy, just get Applebloom home.”

“But.. your face...” Fluttershy was ignored as he went through the doors behind her, she looked over to Applejack. “What happened?”

Applejack helped her sister climb up into the empty apple cart that her father was hitched to, “I don't rightfully know, but the way Andur is actin' it can't be good.” She looked back towards the clinic, “And my mother is still in there. If Andur is so concerned he can't stop to talk about it, then that means she may be in danger. So I ain't takin' no for an answer.”

Fluttershy watched as Applejack trotted into the clinic after Andur, I suppose I should get around to finally returning my element into hiding.

“Have a nice day Fluttershy.” she heard Pa Smith say as he began to pull the cart away.

Fluttershy looked about a bit unsure of what to do. I can't put this off anymore, it needs to be somewhere safe and I don't think Ponyville is that safe anymore. She took off into the air, heading West towards her cottage by the Everfree.

[/][/][4][/][/]

Andur approached the receptionist, “Oh, if you need medical care, It doesn't look too bad, so we can set you up with a room in urgent-” she was interrupted.

“I'm not here to check in, I need information.”

The receptionist looked a little confused, “Then if that's the case... who are you here to visit?”

“Who's in charge? Your town is in far more danger than you may realize.”

“I'm sorry our staff is rather busy at the moment, we can't just call them off to answer a few questions about proper scar treatment-”

“Mam, please. This isn't about me, I need to see about a very dangerous outbreak. I have a hunch that many others may be unwell, and my best bet is to talk to the one in charge so that I can help you.” Andur said with concern in his voice.

The receptionist sighed, then left her desk to walk over to some large double doors nearby. She stuck her head through the doors and mumbled something incoherent to a pony on the other side. After she returned to her desk she spoke to him, “It'll be a minute or two, please have a seat.”

Andur wandered his way over to a less populated corner of the room, he noticed Applejack was closing in on him, “I take it you want an explanation?”

Applejack simply nodded.

“I suppose I have the time now, although I wish I didn't have to stop. Let me take a rest over here.” Andur took a moment to lie down, he was used to the amount of activity he was regularly performing, but it was nice to take a load off.

“First, if it’s so bad why are you here? If it’s some monster why not go find its nest or something'?”

“I am after the nest.”

Applejack grew confused, “What? How do you know it’s the clinic?”

“Ted and I went out to the West end of town, we wanted to check out some of the area by the Everfree. On the way through the hills Ted noticed something, we did our best to sneak up on them, but one of them was just a little more clever than the rest.” he gestured to the various gashes and scratches on his face. “In short I got jumped, at first I didn't even know what I was fighting, I just tried to get it off. Once I had it pinned however I got a good look at it.” Andur seemed to shudder and have a look of anger on his face, “I recognized its twisted form, even if it was hardly the thing it was, I remembered that orange pegasus for it was the only one that had a wing sheared clean off.”

“Wait, how did a pony scratch you up that bad?”

Andur was still angry, “Let's just say it wasn't a pony anymore, it was something far worse. Now I have to get about settling some questions, hopefully Ted is having better luck chasing down the other ones.” Andur got up when he noticed a nurse was walking over to them.

“I will trust the word of a hero such as yourself when you say it's important, but please make it brief we are in the middle of an emergency.” Nurse Redheart said.

“This emergency wouldn't happen to involve a disease that you have never seen before would it?”

Nurse Redheart gave a curious eyebrow to the question, “It may, what do you know of it?”

“I know that if I don't start getting help around here, that this whole town could be crawling with its own dead. So please allow me to take a look at any suspicious cases you may have.” he pleaded.

“I can't allow that Andur, we are trying to maintain a quarantine and it’s dangerous enough allowing ponies to sill come and go as they please.”

“If it’s what I think it is, you don't need to worry about it spreading in the conventional means.”

Nurse Redheart looked more confused, “Even if that's the case, how do I know that you know-”

“They are admitted after having fallen unconscious, shortly thereafter they begin to cough furiously. Then they begin to discharge a black filmy substance whenever they cough that smells like bile.” Andur furrowed his brow, “Am I getting warmer?”

Nurse Redheart looked around nervously before whispering to him, “Is there anything you can do to help, we've already lost a few.”

“I'm afraid there isn't much I can do, but I need to find whatever is spreading this, and I need to have a word with any of them that may still be alive.”

“This way then.”

Applejack intercepted her as she began to walk with them, “I hate to impose but nopony is giving me a straight answer about my mother.”

Nurse Redheart had a sad look across her face, “I'm sorry, but your mother is one of the many affected.” Applejack immediately had fear on her face “She's still going strong, so we still have some hope.” Applejack took the kind words, but couldn't help as though it felt like false hope.

“We may not have much time, please let's keep moving.” Andur interrupted, and off they followed the nurse deeper into the clinic.

[/][/][5][/][/]

The pony slowly opened his eyes, the world was covered in a dull haze. He attempted to move about, only to feel the brace on his neck and the casts around his midsection and front legs. What? Where... he was still unsure of his surroundings, the room he was in was rather brightly lit, intense beams of light seemed to cast down from the ceiling. As his eyes adjusted he began making out other things in the room, some kind of large window next to a door, some empty gurneys in front of himself, and a profuse smell in the air was all he could make out without moving his head.

Even though he was awake his thoughts were still clouded by the woozy aftereffects of the tranquilizer, slowly but surely he remembered the events of the past night. Sure hope sis is OK... As he was still recounting the events of Eastavis he heard a noise behind him, a deep raspy breath followed by a wheezing cough. For some reason the noise set him on edge, his instincts forbade him from even breathing too quickly. He heard the sound of hooves clopping to the floor, followed by a thud of something falling over. It seemed to hiss and sputter as it protested its predicament, he heard a slow and unsteady march as the sound seemed to get closer. He felt his heart racing and beads of sweat on his brow, with no fair reasoning he felt his mind screaming of danger, but still his instincts were telling him to not move a muscle.

As the figure slowly moved into view, he remembered the shape of a pegasus, as it was what seemed to be in front of him. Its coat still seemed yellowish, but was scarred by streaks of black veins which seemed to twist through the skin haphazardly. Its bloodshot eyes looked about, except instead of reddish as one would expect they were almost pitch black as night, and absent of color excluding what little white space remained.

It began to peer around at its surroundings, eventually something caught its attention. It was looking up towards the ceiling, a small smile on its face, it gave a sickening coo that sounded as if something was drowning deep within itself. The wings gently spread out as if it was receiving praise and attention from something not within the room, then it once again became cold to the world, and began making its way over to the door. It stopped, ears springing to attention and searching for an invisible source, it gave a soft hiss as it dived beneath the large window where it wouldn't be easily seen.

A memory flooded into his mind, a recent one. That's what that monster was DOING! The face of the beast betrayed no emotion, it was simply watching him, even though it read in no way a threat he couldn't hope but feel like he was prey being measured up by a hunter. He tried to control his breathing, but all his senses screamed danger at the cold intelligence that met his gaze.

He could hear voices outside the room, maybe a mare and a stallion talking back and forth but he wasn't sure. Then the door opened, a white mare walked through, “Yes Andur I am sure these are the first cases...” she stopped as she looked at the empty gurneys, “Strange, we only ferried four bodies out of here, the last one was still putting up a fight.”

The creature absently stared at the earth pony, waiting patiently, unnoticed.

A second earth pony barged into the room, much larger than the first, covered in cuts across his face and armor on his body. “What do you mean ferried?”

“We never got our morgue built in, the project has been pushed back recently. So we've been using the old clinic as a makeshift one until then.”

The large brown one looked directly at the frightened pony, as its eyes darted around the room. “Streaks?” He closed the distance between them.

Streaks continued to look between the creature and Andur, it seemed to be slinking away towards the door, trying to stay unnoticed. But then it stopped, once again it looked strangely about as if it was receiving orders from another place. It changed course, slowly slinking its way behind Andur with an unnatural silent grace. Streaks was frantically looking between them as it closed. When it was only a few feet from Andur it stopped and bared its teeth, soft molars slowly changed into razor edged fangs. He began mumbling incoherently and looked between them in a panic trying to get his attention. Just look behind you! Just TURN AROUND! His eyes dilated as he watched the beast leap through the air, aiming for Andur's neck.

[/][/][6][/][/]

Andur was lost in thought as he looked at Streaks, Well I guess it’s good that he's alive, but he doesn't exactly seem mentally stable. He noted as the pony's eyes were darting about the room, as Streak's eyes dilated Andur turned slightly to ask a question to Redheart. But soon felt a stab of pain across the back of his neck, he reared as he howled in pain. Quickly he knew that he had to get whatever was on him off, he felt it clutching to his back trying to hold on; so he brought himself down upon his back in an attempt to squash the threat. As he landed with a thud against the floor he felt the pain in his neck recede, but he also landed far harder than he thought he should've, and knew it must've gotten away from the danger.

He heard the sound of gurneys beings tossed aside as something fell through them, Andur managed to right himself, ignoring the pain of fresh injury across the back of his neck. He met the gaze of the creature as its blood stained teeth glared back at him. “Foul abomination, know that I shall not stand your existence so long as I draw breath!”

Nurse Redheart shrieked as she finally saw the same beast Andur did.

Having been discovered and failed its first attempt, the beast knew it stood little chance against its target. It broke for the doorway with an unnatural speed, Andur gave pursuit but was unable to keep pace.

Applejack appeared from another observation room within the wing of the hospital that was cleared of staff because of the quarantine, “What's with all the racket?” she watched as some messed up pegasus and Andur were charging down the hall towards the exit.

“Don't let it escape!” Andur shouted to her.

Applejack didn't like the looks of the pegasus, but she knew that it mustn't be good if its mouth was marked with blood. She galloped over to an unused cart full of medical supplies set up in the hallway, and using the strength of her hind legs bucked it into the path of the pegasus.

The beast was far too concentrated on its goal of the doors leading out farther into the world and was soundly slammed with the cart, for a few moments it was thrown from its feet and dazed. Long enough for Andur to close the distance it had gained, with a smooth motion he whipped his weapon from its sheath, the head of the morningstar was slightly aglow with power at the presence of undeath. He brought it down towards the beast, only to have it quickly slide to the side, as the weapon smashed into the floor of the clinic it left cracks in the tile.

The beast took its chance, once again it leaped towards Andur's face, but this time he was not unprepared. He left his weapon stuck in the floor and charged the animal as it was mid-flight, the weight of his body and armor slammed into it. As it clambered at him trying to get a hold he continued his stampede, straight into a solid concrete wall, with a solid thud Andur felt bones within the creature snap and break. But still it continued to struggle against him, unabated by what just occurred, Andur continued to put his weight into the beast in an attempt to keep it pinned.

Struggling against the wall and Andur's shoulder the beast kicked, hissed, and snapped at him. But it couldn't get an angle, it began to try something.

Andur watched as the front hooves of the beast began shifting into sharp blade-like contraptions, It isn't supposed to be able to mutate this quickly! Andur knew this was going to go south if he didn't end it soon, If I let it go then it will definitely get away before I can pry my weapon loose.

“Andur!” Andur heard Applejack shout to him, giving his attention for a moment he noticed she was prying his weapon out of the floor, even though it was far too large for her she managed to get it unstuck. With the handle clamped in her mouth she spun quickly before tossing it in his direction.

Andur took the chance, as it clanged across the floor he allowed the beast to slump against the wall, the beast took a long hissed breath as its chest cavity began to inflate with air. Without a moment to spare, he took the weapon up in his hooves in a reverse to his usual style. While upon two legs he gave a powerful stride to close the distance, thrusting out the spiked pommel of the weapon like a spear, with a squash it pierced the beast and impaled it to the wall through its midsection.

Morellia began to glow intensely at the contact to the flesh of the horror, with a blinding corona the beast howled and screeched at the pain to its form being driven from the body. As the others shielded their eyes, only Andur took the brunt of it as he watched the creature burst into a golden flame, smoldering away the corruption that was within it. The light slowly dimmed until once more they were within the quiet hallway of the observation wing.

Andur carefully put one of his hooves to the body, removed his weapon from the wall and the corpse, before easing it to the floor. The body lay motionless, almost as if it was at peace. He said a small prayer under his breath as was his custom, and turned to face Applejack. “I suppose you want another explanation?”

“What happened to that pony?” She said with a slight look of horror.

“What I was afraid was happening, you have an outbreak of Ghoul's Bite.”

Fear dawned on Applejack's face “Please just tell me Ma doesn't have that.” she didn't like the look on his face, “Andur please, you've got to be able to do something. You just used your power, maybe-”

“That wasn't my power, that was the power of Morellia, my weapon.” he sheathed his weapon upon his back before returning to all fours, “She only destroys the infection, it wouldn't undo the damage to the body, and doing that won't save her. Now I'm sorry about your mother, but I need to look over the first cases before I can properly help you.”

Applejack watched as Andur wandered back over to the room he had come from, a rather stunned Nurse Redheart waiting at the threshold. Applejack looked over to the body, the wound on its side was leaking a strange black substance which seemed to be evaporating into the air which left a strange smell of incense. The eyes were slowly draining from a black murkiness to those of a normal pony, however the mutations seemed to stay behind. Please not my mother, just please... Applejack could feel tears welling up in her eyes.

Andur approached the nurse, “Now without any further interruption, you are sure these are the only ones who first showed any symptom?”

She looked back into the room, “Y-yes, we've lost them all except for Streaks there, but he hasn't shown any symptoms.” she then looked back to Andur, “Just what are we dealing with?”

“Ghoul's Bite, a horrid weapon concocted by an old nemesis of mine. I've only ever seen him and groups affiliated with him make use of it. It causes death by replacing your blood with the disease, then when you should die it instead forcibly resurrects you, holding onto your memories; which essentially traps your soul within your body.” Andur had a furrowed brow as he continued, “It makes use of you, using your memories to figure out how your body works. Then it changes you, tries to make the best weapon out of you as possible. Soon enough you’re not even what you were anymore, just another ghoul following the commands of Dra'nahb...” You won't get away with this you slimy rattlesnake, I’ll find you in your den wherever you are. He looked within the room to Streaks, who seemed to calm down a bit at seeing him still alive. “So what happened to him?”

“Oh, Streaks over here was found under some rubble by the rides in the fairgrounds with complex fractures to his jaw, neck, and some of his spine. We found his sister wrapped up in his arms, she might not have made it if it wasn't for that.” she looked sullenly over to him, “but if his recovery doesn't go well he could very well be paralyzed.”

“Well if he hasn't turned yet then he won't turn at all. Just how long ago did cases start to occur?”

“Hmm,” Nurse Redheart stopped for a moment and thought, “I want to say about an hour ago.”

Andur was dumbfounded at what she said, “What?” the look on her face told the truth, “But... it doesn't kill that quickly, let alone turn them so fast. Those ones that jumped Ted and me were farther along than I thought possible.” This doesn't bode well at all.

Andur was taken from his thought when he heard the large doors of the observation hall open and a small convoy of gurneys barged through it. “Oh no, not more.” Nurse Redheart galloped over to the group of orderlies that was pushing the gurneys in, Andur close behind. “Take them to room eight, I think it still has some room.”

“Excuse me, but what part of town are these ponies from?” Andur asked.

They looked over Andur cautiously, before he gave them a stern look that he wanted his question answered. “Not sure,” one of the orderlies spoke up, “We've just been taking them from their rooms as they fell ill.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean, good sir who needs some bandages, that these ponies are here because of last night, and only fell ill a few minutes ago. Now please tell me we aren't breaking quarantine for this pony.” the orderly complained to Redheart.

She spoke up, “Andur here knows more about this disease than any of us so give him some respect, now how do we at least stop the spread if we can't-” she looked over to see concern written across his face, “What's the matter.”

“It doesn't spread like this...”

“What?”

“You can only contract it by direct infusion, it’s far too delicate to survive any other means.” Andur went over to the gurneys and pulled back some of the blankets, much to the chagrin of some confused ponies. He looked over the unconscious mare before him, her skin was already starting to darken, a few drops of black substance by her mouth. Where are you... he carefully looked around the mare's head, carefully checking the neck; he then found what he was looking for. A small red lump on the neck, easily mistakable for a bug bite. “This is fresh, it’s got to be her. He sent Abigail!” Andur quickly grabbed his messenger's book, Ted I don't care where those ghouls are off to anymore, I need you here at the clinic NOW!

Before Andur could even put it back a message returned, Fine then, they lost me when they hit the Everfree anyway. What’s got you in such a tizzy anyway? You find out which area of town Dra'nahb might be skulking in?

Andur didn't have time to play around, Ted, its Abigail. She's here, somewhere in the clinic infecting them with Ghoul's Bite, I'm not sure why but it seems to take affect far faster on these ponies than it did on anything in our world. I need you back here before she gets too many more. He looked over to Nurse Redheart, “You need to get some ponies over to that old clinic and burn any bodies that were infected.”

“What!?” she was flabbergasted.

He realized he was being a little harsh, “I understand it may not seem unorthodox to treat your dead in such a way, but if we don't then there will be dozens of those things running about Ponyville.” she seemed a little more sure of his order, “I'm sorry but sometimes life isn't easy.”

“Alright, but is there anything you can do for the ones that are still alive?” Andur wouldn't meet her gaze, “You can't be serious, just... please, there must be a way.”

“I'm afraid we only have one hope-”

“No!” Nurse Redheart said sternly as she pushed Andur away from the gurneys, “I didn't become head nurse of Ponyville because I gave up on patients that seemed hopeless. There must be something we can do that doesn't involve killing them and mutilating the corpses!”

Andur was impressed by her bravery, “I wouldn't be a servant of Pelor if I acted in such a manner,” Nurse Redheart seemed to calm but was perplexed still, “Don't mind what a Pelor is, our hope is to find whatever is spreading this and end it. As for the living...” he looked between the various infected individuals, “all we can do is hope, for they don't seem as far along as I feared. If the first died in the first few minutes then they may have been overdosed, there may be one or two strong enough to fight it. All you can do is keep them comfortable.” He then turned and trotted off towards the room which still contained Streaks, “Now if you'll excuse me I need a description.”

As he made his way to the room he just left, Applejack met him halfway, “Andur are you sure-”

“I know you're worried Applejack, but I meant what I said...” he grew sullen, “Without my power there is nothing I can do to help them, their fates are now in the hands of something far greater than me.” Applejack still looked worried, “Where's your mother, I can at least see how well she's combating it.”

Applejack lead Andur to an observation room, the few ponies within occasionally coughing and groaning, and it reeked of vile contagion. He was lead to Ma Smith, Applejack's ears hung low against her head with a frown on her face as she looked at the silent body of her mother.

Andur began an inspection, she looked well off considering the speed the others had taken to the disease. He looked about her neck, checking for the telltale sign of Abigail's tampering, he found nothing. Strange, she should have some type of wound to indicate the site of infection. He pulled the blanket off her and noticed something on her flank, “Well that explains how well she's doing.”

“What does?” Applejack sounded a little hopeful.

“She didn't get injected in an artery, I think Abigail missed her target, lucky too.” He frowned, “Well as lucky as one can get in these situations. I think she got nicked here, less of a dose and in an out of the way place. It'll take far longer for it to proceed-” He stopped as she began coughing up more blackened bile, “She has a slim chance, but she seems to be putting up quite a fight.”

Andur looked over to Applejack who was a looking more hopeful, “If anypony can beat this, it'll be mom.”

“Now excuse me, but I really must get back to the solution.” Andur worked his way out of the room, making his way once again down the hall. He entered the room that still contained Streaks, who seemed to be calmed down a bit considering what he had seen moments before. Andur walked over to the gurney and laid down next to it so he could take a breather while maintaining an easier eye contact with the pony.

Streaks' eyes darted around Andur's face, looking a little worried.

“Don't worry about them Streaks, there is something going on more important than some flesh wounds.”

Streaks raised an eyebrow to the statement.

“Concentrate for a moment, do you remember anything from before you were here in observation. Back when you were in another room perhaps.”

His eyes darted about, looking a little frightened.

“Shhh, just calm down, I know it isn't easy. But do you think you could remember whatever scared you so badly, Redheart mentioned you shared a room with these infected ponies. Did you see what infected them?”

Streaks looked about, a furrowed brow marked frustration as he tried to mumble something.

“Now Streaks, if you could talk. Would you be able to give me a description? Blink when I say so for yes, close your eyes for about three seconds for no.”

Streaks was confused by the question, but quickly blinked when he was commanded to do so.

“Then that settles this dilemma.” Andur rose to his feet, reached inside his bag and took out the single potion he had on his person. This is far more important than just me, He undid some of the bandages around Streaks' mouth, “The healing is going to hurt, but you'll be fine; I promise. Just don't clench your teeth.” popping the quark from the bottle he carefully emptied the contents into the hurt pony’s mouth.

Streaks grimaced at the flavor of it, for a few moments nothing happened besides a bitter aftertaste in his mouth. Then he felt a strange surge of energy course through himself, as it made its way to his broken bones. He groaned at first from feeling them move unnaturally into position, then he was shouting as it felt like they were being stretched and molded back into shape. Eventually it subsided, but he was still in shock from the pain, gradually he returned to his senses. Watching as Andur was undoing straps on the neck brace and untying bandages around his midsection.

“Alright, now just to undo the rest of the jaw.” Andur finished his cleanup. Streaks looked about, almost frozen as he seemed unsure what to do. “Just try to say something.”

“Thanks... I guess.” Streaks was still astonished by it, he had heard the rumors of The Dungeon Masters generosity. Even though they had saved his sister he was still amazed to see how Andur allowed himself to go on injured as he was just in order to help him. “Are you sure you shouldn't have used that thing on yourself?”

Nurse Redheart appeared at the door to the room, looking angry, but she then saw Streaks completely un-bandaged and was speechless.

Andur looked to see the nurse stunned behind him before he looked back to Streaks, “Yes impossibilities and all, now we don't have much time. Can you give me that description.”

“She was...” he shuddered, “Emotionless. That monster had some kind of boney... thing, I don't know it looked like a needle pointed right at me.”

“I understand what she is capable of, just the physical appearance please.” Andur said sternly.

“Oh yes, pale brown like tanned leather. A reddish mane and tail, and those eyes...” Streaks curled up in a fetal position, absently looking about in fear as he was somewhere in his mind. “green... just staring at me... she wouldn't blink. She just kept looking at me.”

“Was she wearing anything?” Nurse Redheart spoke up.

“I think so, I remember a nurse's uniform; but I was kind of too terrified to look for a name tag.”

Nurse Redheart blanched, “That was nurse Aidwell he just described, but she couldn't be a monster. She was new and all but she was here before the fair. That can't be possible.”

“Tell that to her when she tries to eat your face off with her fangs.” Streaks retorted. Andur shot a disapproving glance at him, “Look I didn't mean to snap, I just-”

“I know Streaks.” Andur looked to nurse Redheart, “It might not seem possible, but sometimes you got to face the ugly truth.”

“Alright, I'll get on over to a station and have it broadcast to stop Aidwell from-”

“No.” Redheart looked confused at him, “Abigail, the thing taking her place, is a creature that operates on cruel efficiency. The second she finds out her cover is blown, we'll be lucky to find all the bodies she'll infect before they start to turn. We got lucky that she's s trying to stay stealthy and is slowing herself. Me and Ted will handle this, just get all the ponies out of here that you can, now where did that last batch of infected come from.”

“Second floor, west wing of intensive care, room two forty eight I think.” she still looked guilty of something.

“You had no idea it could have been a monster from my world, don't hold it against yourself, she's a crafty one.” Andur then got up and excused himself from the room, he looked back to see Nurse Redheart help the sore Streaks get up from his bed as he cringed at muscles that ached from disuse. Ted I hope you can get here fast, I can't afford to wait around any longer.

[/][/][7][/][/]

“Now remember anything that looks like a shambling corpse is best to be avoided, and if things get bad head into town OK?” Ted said to the Boe family.

“Don't worry Ted, they won't get within a mile of here with my archery skills.” the excitable Archie exclaimed as he buzzed about the house.

“Well do make sure to leave some for me, I can't go and get all rusty from lack of practice.” He gently ruffled the mane of the colt with his hoof. “If you'll excuse me.” Ted spread his wings and took off into the sky, going as quickly as he could towards Ponyville. His messenger book began humming, he took it out and read the message from Andur.

I've got a description on Abigail, she's apparently posing as a nurse in the clinic. Pale brown, red mane and tail, green eyes.

Ted messaged back, You think that when Cartanis comes out of that coma he'll open his book to see all our messages at once?

Ted please, I know you try to stay lighthearted but I'm not in the mood for it right now.

Ted closed the book, Well I guess it is a little silly of me to act in such a way when he can't help any of those ponies recover. He grew a little sad at the thought of it all. As he looked about the sky he saw a familiar shape making its way West, Fluttershy? Why would she be leaving town at a time like this? Ted quickly closed the gap between them, cutting his way through the air.

Fluttershy noticed Ted from a distance and was surprised to see him.

Ted matched Fluttershy's speed as she flew towards the West, “Well if it isn't the nicest pony in Equestria, what are you doing heading out of town?”

“You know I have animals to take care of Ted, I can't just leave them all alone.”

“Your animals are fine, I took the liberty of checking in on them on the way back from my patrol. You really should try to stay in town though, that nasty thing from last night could be out there still. Might try to pull an attack of opportunity on you when you're asleep.” He said with a smile.

“I really just want to go home...” she wouldn't look over to Ted.

“Fluttershy, I know it’s scary right now. But your home is probably less safe then the town right now.” he said with some seriousness.

“What?” she stopped flying and hovered while looking at Ted, “Did something happen?”

“I already said your animals are fine, but I've been hunting some things around the outskirts of town, and they were pretty darn intent on getting out to the Everfree. I know your animals are important to you, but I just can't let you go in good conscience, your cottage is just too close to the den of nasty stuff.” Fluttershy continued to look worried, “If it makes you feel any better, your silly rabbit managed to hog tie me in a trap. They'll be fine on their own for a little while longer, that rabbit seemed pretty comfortable handling things on its own.”

Fluttershy smiled at hearing about Angel's antics.

“Now please, just give us one more day to try and set this all straight, and I won't ask for a second more.” Ted gave a gentle smile to her.

“Alright... just don't get hurt.”

“Thank you, now if you'll excuse me,” Ted took off towards town and shouted back to her, “I'm off to help Andur the Impatient save the town from the Abominable Abigail.”

[/][/][8][/][/]

Ted landed in front of the clinic and made his way inside, he was surprised by the lack of ponies within. The only pony there was the receptionist, who seemed equally surprised to see him, “Sir we are currently under quarantine, did you miss the signs?”

“Well of course you’re under quarantine.” Ted said with disapproval.

“Excuse me?” she asked with a confused look.

“Didn't you know?” she still looked confused, “Why Princess Celestia is coming to help deal with it, and I’ve been assigned as the Extremely Redundant Home Makeover Extraordinaire. You're not a hero if you don't know how to look good while being heroic, that’s what father used to say.

“Oh you're Ted, look the last one of you we let through caused a lot of ruckus and we don't need any more excitement-” but she stopped when she realized the zebragus wasn't listened to her anymore.

“Now if you'll excuse me I need to make sure everything is spic 'n' span for one’s eyes.” As he carefully seemed to inspect the various things about the room, a familiar sound graced his ears and set him on edge. Oh he wouldn't be that foolish... Would he?

The sound once again became painfully obvious to him amongst the other background noises he was sure only he was able to pick out, Its Andur, of course he would be that foolish. He began walking over to the receptionist. “How would I get to the second floor?”

“Sorry, but unless you are here to visit somepony in urgent care, we are not to allow anypony beyond the reception area.”

“So you don't have a second floor?” Ted asked with some concern.

“What?”

“Does 'what' mean we only have one floor? Do you even have a second floor? I could swear I saw at least three when I landed outside, but I suppose being a hundred and forty can wear on one’s eyes.”

“Yes we have a second floor.” the receptionist looked annoyed at his questions.

“How would one of sound mind make the quickest path to his expected objective of reaching the second floor with most haste?”

“Sir, please-”

“I am not sir, who is sir? Now I need to get along to the second floor, this reception area is simply deadly to ones inner muse of home design so the rest can't be any better, or would you have Celestia send this whole place to the moon because it wasn't the color of her constantly flowing mane?”

She raised an eyebrow in concern, before speaking as though she expected him to forget her orders before she finished. “OK sir, just head through those doors over there and some of our clinics best carpenters will help you along.” Why do I always get the crazy ones, just once I would like to meet a nice stallion who isn't insane or mortally wounded.

As he passed through the doors he heard the receptionist click a switch under her desk. Oh so we do this the hard way? No problem, no one ever suspects little ol' me of anything.

A few orderlies appeared beyond the doorway, attempting to stop his advance, “Sir please vacate the premises or we will be forced to act.”

Ted looked about disgusted with everything, mouth hanging half open in shock. “What were you thinking!?”

“We don't need crazy ponies, or zebrasi, scaring the patients.”

“No, no, not your silly health concerns. I mean just look at this place. Oh I could just puke rainbows all over the place and have done better.”

The large orderlies looked confused.

“Sterile white with linoleum tile? Are you TRYING to make my eyes vomit?” Ted scoffed as he looked them over. “Don't get me started on your choice of uniforms, they are so drab, I mean I could have made more colorful metals to use in chainmail for crying out loud!” As the orderlies still looked dumbfounded at the criticism's Ted took a chance. “Is that an elevator? Oh please, why in the world would you place it there. We don't need function in here, we need eye appeal, I mean just look at it.” Ted wandered over to it and clicked the call button.

“I mean really, why would you make the focal point of this great space an eye sore.” He began to speak in a high pitched tone, “Oh look at me, I'm an elevator. My doors open and close while I provide needed vertical transportation between floors.” He scoffed loudly, “Absolutely no entertainment value.”

The elevator dinged and the doors opened as Ted walked inside. “Now when I get back I want to see this thing removed and placed somewhere else. Like in an out of the way corner, and get some dance floors set up here. Ponies want to party and listen to sweet remixes of their favorite folk songs when they are trying to get better, not look around at boring monotone environments!” As the doors closed on the flabbergasted orderlies Ted mentally patted himself on the back, Oh you still got it.

As Ted waited for the elevator to move up, he could once again hear the sounds of battle from the second floor. This time it was followed by the terrified screams of innocence.

[/][/][9][/][/]

Andur made his way up the stairs to the second story, too afraid to make use of the elevators mainly because of fear his weight combined with his armor would somehow break it. Andur was pulled from his thoughts when he heard a second set of hooves clopping against the stairs behind him, looking back he saw Applejack following him.

“Don't gab at me about danger, I'm done pointlessly worryin' about my mother, and I'm ready to do somethin' a little more constructive with my time.” she said with firm resolve.

“You wouldn't happen to have that potion we gave you?” Andur said as he absently scratched at the bandages all over his face, many of the nurses had insisted he cease walking around so torn up looking and had quickly bandaged him up.

“Yeah I still got it,” Applejack's eyes widened when she realized something, “in my saddlebags,” she slapped a hoof to her face, “back at the library where I left'em”

“If that's the case, then I don't want you helping me if things get dangerous... but in a situation like this I can't turn down another pair of eyes.” he continued his trot up the stairs with Applejack close behind. As they walked through the door to the second story, Andur couldn't help but immediately become paranoid to every mare that he could see. “You remember the description don't you?” he stated to Applejack.

“I know enough” she looked about at each of the mares in the room.

Andur made his own way out into the crowded hallway, he let Applejack take her own path since he was drawing too much attention simply from his size not to mention the fact he was covered in armor. He made his way past rooms, at first he was not too agitated, but as the number grew closer to forty on the doorways he felt that same paranoid awareness that came with experience in such matters. The further he was from the elevators the fewer ponies seemed to be around, his senses knew that like the assassins of his world, this would only aid Abigail more than hinder her.

Two forty-five, two forty-six, two forty-seven. Andur continued to count off room numbers as he saw them. Eventually taking time to look within rooms that had open doors, each one was empty, devoid of any patient. Eventually he heard a commotion from a room just down the hall, it was two fifty-one that was being ransacked by nurses and orderlies as they began frantically pushing gurneys out of the room and down the hall past Andur, taking little heed to his presence as they raced by with sick patients.

She must be close. Andur took a second to listen intently for anything out of place, besides the sound of the occasional pony trotting past him, nothing was standing out to him. She must have already moved on. Andur picked up his pace as he neared a corner to another hallway, but was stopped when he noticed an open door, for he could hear something moving about inside. Carefully he approached the edge of the doorway, making sure to not allow himself to make any noise. He peered inside, and saw her.

[/][/][10][/][/]

sixty-eighth dose applied... room finished... leave to maintain anonymity...

Abigail turned to the door leading out of the room, she paused at hearing a loud clop of hooves.

Investigate...

Abigail cautiously approached the door, gingerly stuck her neck out through the door to get a better look. Down the hallway in both directions, nothing was happening, there was no clue as to the source of her noise.

Clear... maintain awareness...

Abigail moved out into the hallway, as she was moving towards the next room, a pony stood out in her vision. An orange earth pony wearing a cowboy hat was watching her, a mix of anger and fear in her eyes.

Possibly compromised... Confirm...

Abigail picked up her pace down the hall, moving at a trot she passed the pony of her attention paying her no heed. She seemed to be holding herself back from trying something as Abigail passed. Abigail then heard the pony giving chase, but at a distance. Confirmed... Determine how far... Abigail looked to other faces in the hallway, none seemed to mind her at all. May be able to salvage... eliminate threat to anonymity...

[/][/][11][/][/]

Applejack followed Abigail as she was going down the hall, You don't look so tough. She tailed the creature as it went inside another room, before she entered the room a hoof stopped her advance.

“I said eyes only Applejack,” she turned to the familiar whisper of Andur, not sure how he managed to sneak up on her.

“She doesn’t look like much, all it looks like she could do is ruffle my feathers a bit.” she protested.

“How far would you be willing to go?”

“What?” She said back confused.

“You saw me fighting that pegasus ghoul, just imagine for a second you were fighting that, because I for one know that she will be worse than it hoped to ever be.” he gave her a stern look, “We are not here to ruff her up and make her go away, this is life or death. Not just because she WILL kill you if she gets the chance, but for the simple reason that she will not stop on her mission until she is called off or completes it.” He looked towards the room where Abigail entered, “She is a heartless abomination that must be dealt with or she will eat away at everything like a cancer, and I'm sorry but I can't let you help me deal with her. She is in a league all on her own, even if she isn't fully at one with her new body.”

Applejack noticed that Andur had a real expression of fear under the calm demeanor he was trying to present. “Andur are you sure you should do this alone? Maybe you should wait for Ted.”

Before Andur could answer, Abigail wandered out of the room, when she noticed Andur her emotionless face twitched slightly to show a split second of emotion.

“Run Applejack.” Andur said flatly.

“Bu-” she was cut off as Abigail began hissing, her teeth bared and changing into fangs, the calm of the hallway was pierced by a shriek of unholy rage.

“RUN!” Andur charged the creature, deftly drawing his weapon in an attempt to hit her, swinging high for her face. But she dodged it easily with unnatural speed, as Andur's weapon slammed into the wall Abigail quickly stabbed him in the neck with a modified hoof. He felt her inject something into him, it was tearing at his insides. I won't go down that easily! He took the chance presented when she was having trouble recovering her instrument of death, tackling her to the ground. He felt her stab him again, but he had her pinned and took his chance. Morellia screamed for vengeance as he slammed it into the side of her face, he was only able to make use of one arm with his strike and found Abigail to be too well fortified to do more than scrape some of the flesh from her face; revealing her true form under the mask.

Quills erupted from her midsection and peppered Andur across the face, he howled in pain as the poison tipped projectiles robbed him of his sight in one eye. She readied another volley and forced Andur to move off of her in order to dodge them, they pegged against a wall dripping with a black substance. I can't keep fighting her in this cramped hallway, she has too much of an advantage.

Abigail took the opportunity provided and raced along Andur's blind side, solidly planting a hoof between his plates of armor and injecting more foul poison into him. He howled in pain once again, he retaliated by first giving a powerful kick with his hind leg which knocked her off of him and set up his swing. It solidly connected to her torso, sending her off down the hallway.

A pony wandered around the corner, a confused look on his face turned to horror as he saw the strange thing toppled in front of him. Half of the face was missing, on the other a pony skull was staring at him, the jaw was fused into a plate, the fangs in the mouth were slowly turning into a solid shield to reinforce the skull. The eye socket was like an abyss covered by a series of rib-like protrusions acting like a screen against attack. More interconnecting bony plates lead down to the hole torn in the torso, to show not ribs and organs but a solid mass of bone that moved about slowly, a strange black substance moving about underneath as it did anywhere the bones were not directly connected.

“Get out of here!” Andur shouted to the stunned stallion. As he began to retreat with a scream of terror Abigail started to give chase. This one is not yours beast! For a split second Andur felt his power surge through him, he arced it outwards into a jet of fire and light, the golden forces slammed into Abigail. Disintegrating the portion that was hit by it. Removing what little remained of her flesh on one side of her body, a layer of bone was ashen and flaky as it withstood the attack against its very essence.

Abigail ceased her pursuit and looked back to Andur, he was sprawled out on the floor, taking deep breaths as he was out of energy. Threat reassessment... she watched as he began to cough up a black substance. Illogical regain of power... Current threat still minimal... Take no chances... She closed the distance, morphing one of her front legs into a razor-blade.

Please... just give me a chance, I know I can still call to you Pelor. Don't let this stand. But to no avail, what little power he could feel remaining within him was burning itself out trying to fight off the infection of Ghoul's Bite. He grasped Morellia firmly in his hoof, I can't rely on you forever my lord... He directed his thoughts to his weapon. Free the spirit of vengeance, course through me with the righteous indignation of his wrath.

He felt his thoughts fusing with his weapon as his voice began to crescendo.

“For the crimes of evils past shall be laid bare upon their vessels. This body shall bring unto them ruin, and scatter the ashes amongst the dirt of the land.” Andur was no longer the only being inhabiting his body, he felt the knowledge and power of Morellia coursing through him. Willing his shattered body into service, he was standing to face Abigail as she closed. With quick strikes she attempted to stab and slash at exposed surfaces, but all Andur had to do was move ever so slightly so it would harmlessly scratch against the nigh impregnable plate-mail.

The tempo of battle had changed, with a cry of fury Andur smashed one of his powerful back legs into her, once again toppling the lighter creature. The spirit within him willed his body into faster movements, reacting to her own attempts to catch herself. Morellia was drawn and igniting in golden brilliance in accordance with the bright orbs that were once Andur's own eyes. No longer did Andur see Abigail as a creature to be feared, she was now an abomination to be scattered amongst the nothingness that spawned it.

As Abigail recoiled from the feeling of something piercing her solid ribcage, she was soon being belted with power from a source that made her quake in pain. She managed to free herself from the force, looking over to see a gaping crack in her protective layer of bone plates. Her sinewy black form undulating and twisting in pain from being attacked. Threat evaluation high... not sufficient to deal with this... retreat...

Abigail retreated down the halls, making her way to the nearest exit she could think of as she heard the thunderous hooves of Andur behind. As she rounded a corner towards the main body of the second floor, a bolt of energy ripped through a section of wall and slammed into her, she was barely able to continue moving through the halls.

“Next time, do please be louder. I might be able to hit you through something thicker than a few inches of drywall.”

Voice pattern recognized as Ted... Threat evaluation in tandem with Andur is very high... find a new path...

Abigail quickly darted down a new hallway, making for a window. She heard another bolt of energy ripping through the air behind her, she dived when she had the distance to do so. Smashing through the window she heard something slam into the wall behind her as she fell two stories to the street below, the bones in her feet smashing into pieces as she attempted to land. Will not be able to follow... make use... recover... A crowd was starting to gather around her, some looked curious, others horrified at what they saw.

Ted looked out the window, “Get away from it you idiots!” he shouted to them. A few curiously looked up to the window.

But it was too late, quills formed on Abigail's boney surfaces and fired into them. They screamed and retreated from her, a few falling unconscious as they had been infected.

“Blasted window!” Ted tried to fit through but his armor combined with his own size was not slender enough to fit, he couldn't even get an angle to shoot at Abigail. He turned to see Andur charging down the hall, “Nice of you to wait-” he stopped when he noticed the golden orbs that were his eyes. “Oh that's just brilliant!”

“Take us to the exit, that creature shall not be allowed to escape.” a voice boomed from Andur's body.

Ted also noticed the black substance leaking from Andur's mouth, “You stupid fool!” he pulled at his mane in frustration, “Why in the nine hells couldn't you have just WAITED, for two minutes. Now between that stupid possession and the infection your power is going to-”

“There is no time for this, the creature must be-”

Ted had enough, “Fine, you want to burn yourself out? Snuff out your master’s life Morellia? Then let’s give him the best curtain call we can.” Ted led them to the stairs and they began to quickly descend them.

[/][/][12][/][/]

Applejack was hiding behind a cart parked outside the clinic, when Andur told her to run she figured she should get as many ponies as she could out of there. Now she was stuck behind this cart as that creature kept pegging quills into it. Once more the volley ceased, she took a chance and peeked around the cart. She saw the creature known as Abigail standing up, its shattered legs already reformed. What the hay is that thing? She knew from Andur that it was dangerous but this thing seemed unstoppable.

Applejack jumped when she felt something tap her on the back, she turned to see Pinkie Pie, “What're you doin' here?”

“I called dibs on Andur during the Zompony apocalypse remember!” she said excitedly.

“How do you even know where he is?”

“Well duh, everypony knows that zombies are naturally drawn to medical facilities, and so are the ponies that fight them.”

“Hold on, just hold on one minute. What do you mean zombies? I've only seen one, well maybe two all day.”

“Oh the old clinic is crawling with them, I watched a few leave town.” Pinkie Pie made a shambling motion as she imitated them.

The sound of activity broke their conversation. From the clinic Ted appeared, ready and firing off greenish bolts towards Abigail. She broke from her stillness and galloped away into town, dodging the bolts with catlike grace each time they seemed about to hit. Ted looked back into the clinic, motioning towards another figure. As the two began to gallop after them Andur fell to the street, unable to move. Ted turned and galloped over to the body, he pushed at him a few times, he seemed to shout some form of expletive before he took off into the air after Abigail, occasionally hovering for a moment before firing a bolt off down the street.

“Oh great, what now!” Applejack stated as they galloped over to Andur. She approached and took note that he was out cold, and was bleeding from a few new wounds. Applejack looked to Pinkie Pie and noticed she had her saddlebags on, “Pinkie Pie, do you have that potion they gave you?”

She produced it from her bag, “Yep”

Applejack took the potion and carefully poured the contents down Andur's throat. Even though the wounds on his neck seemed to recede he remained motionless upon the ground, “Oh for Pete's sake Andur, what'd you go 'n' do this time?”

Andur coughed and sputtered, a small black puddle stained the street around his mouth. His eyes opened, slightly glimmering with light. “The spirit is willing but the body is frail, he must rest if he is to have a chance.”

“What do you mean?” Andur then passed out again, “Hey! Don't go spouting riddles at me.” Andur remained unconscious, Applejack sighed with a tinge of anger on her face. “Fine mess of trouble we got ourselves into. Pinkie Pie, keep an eye on him, I need to go find some help.” Applejack got up and trotted inside the clinic.

Pinkie Pie looked over Andur, every once in a while he would cough up more of the strange black stuff, “Come on Andur, just hang in there.”

[/][/][13][/][/]

Ted fired another bolt at Abigail as she whisked her way between terrified crowds of ponies, once again she dodged it without paying it any heed. Drat, she's getting faster. This isn't good at all, she must be getting closer to full symbiosis by now. He took a moment to figure out where she was taking him, they had already had a fire fight through the market, and soon they would be done with the square. Where are you headed? This is South not West to the Everfree... It dawned on him what she was doing, The old clinic! She's going to rally what’s left of the stragglers she has infected and move them out. He remembered what Andur had messaged him about the situation. Even if they are not as infected as that first batch, they'll be under her direct command, and she is one old battle hardened general I don't need to see in action.

Ted was drawn from his thoughts when he saw Abigail suddenly change direction, What? He looked ahead of her and noticed what she was aiming for. “No.” he said aloud, Ted began to beat his wings furiously in an attempt to gain speed, Abigail was closing the distance faster. “Just MOVE!” closer still Abigail was gaining. “FLUTTERSHY!”

Fluttershy stood like a deer in headlights as the horror was getting closer, its cold gaze seemed to paralyze her into not moving, and what little remained of the ponies face only scared her more. She wanted to move, but something about the creature had her frozen in place, like an outside force had infiltrated her muscles and commanded them to cease their function. She could make out the intersections in the bones on the face of the beast as it closed the final distance, quills forming across its surface. All of a sudden she felt herself get tackled, and the world went into a flash of bright light.

Ted had to immediately perform a barrel roll to the side from his headlong dive in order to dodge the flurry of quills sent towards him. Unable to pull up he prepared for a rough landing, tumbling and rolling until he found his footing and leaped behind a cart that was forgotten in the panic. Quills began to land around him, no more Ghoul's Bite then? He noted as the barbed quills were only a bony white. As the volley subsided, he rose from cover and fired out a series of bolts, the first to cause Abigail to dodge, and a second aimed at where he believed she would go. The bolt managed to hit, successfully landing solidly into her center mass and unleashing its energy.

Ted gave himself a small pat on the back, but was left half fulfilled as Abigail shook off what little remained of her old flesh, and simply began firing more quills at him as if nothing had happened. He took cover again, why now of all times do my reserves have to be low... well I do suppose making all those pointless shots earlier has something to do with it, but if I just had a better call to the fey she wouldn't be in such a good mood now. Ted was drawn from his thoughts when a flash of light erupted next to him, he readied a blade and already had it at the creature’s throat, but he stopped himself, “Twilight?”

“Maybe next time I'll try to warn you first.” she said nervously as she pushed the blade away from her person. “Now come on, we got to get out of here.” her horn lit up as they disappeared

Ted was flabbergasted as they seemed to be traveling along a river of light, for a moment he could sense everything around himself, the buildings, ponies, and even Abigail stood out against the background noise. Before he was wrenched from the place in a corona of light as they slipped through a veil.

“I heard you could teleport Miss Sparkle, but that was something else.” Ted noticed they seemed to be on top of one of the few flat roofed buildings in Ponyville, not far from where he once was, Abigail was still firing spines at where she thought they still were in the opposite direction. I wonder if I can pull this off. He began to reach into his bag of holding but was pulled from his thoughts when he was squeezed tightly around the throat.

“Oh Ted I was so worried.” Fluttershy said as she hugged the life out of him.

Ted frantically pushed her off, taking a deep breath of relief, “You were worried? I would've never guessed.” he noticed one of her saddlebags was glowing like it had a lantern stuck inside.

Fluttershy noticed what he was staring at, and quickly changed the subject, “So where's Andur, I thought you said he needed your help.”

Ted immediately remembered his friend laying unconscious in front of the clinic, “Yes good point, do you still have the potion we gave you?”

Fluttershy nodded.

“Alright go over to the clinic, Andur is in some trouble and he'll need all the help he can get.” Ted watched as Fluttershy immediately took off in the direction of the clinic.

“Alright Ted what's the plan?” Twilight spoke up.

“So you really want to help then?”

“I didn't gallop across half the town at the sound of commotion to just partake as an audience member.” she said with a little annoyance.

“Right then, very brave of you and all that praise. Now take these, don't drop them.” Ted began giving Twilight a series of four bottles out of his bag filled with a strange green liquid covered in labels that seemed to portend to something dangerous and horrifying.

“What exactly, am I holding onto here.” she said as she carefully hovered each one telekinetically in the air with her magic.

“Let's just say that to engrave things into armor that is as hard as diamonds you need something with a little extra kick.” he casually grabbed one out of the air, “Now please don't drop them, this house would be lucky if it stopped at its foundation. Just watch me and wait for your time to hit her with a few of them.”

“What do you mean-” but Ted had already leaped off the side of the building and was aimed to land by the perplexed Abigail.

A second before he hit the ground he let his wings slow his descent, Abigail immediately turned to face him, quills beginning to form across her body.

“Where are your manners!?” Ted exclaimed as he slammed the bottle against the side of her face. The liquid sloshed against Abigail's plates, hissing and spitting as fumes rose from her bone armor. Cracks formed amidst the interlocking sections, and the quills melted before they could finish forming, “Now when I ask someone to dance politely, they dance, so let's see how well you can tango.” Ted flicked both of his wrists, doing his best to stay balanced on two legs as he assumed a stance for fighting, his wrist blades ready for action.

Abigail answered by molding the lower part of her front legs into two curved blades, the bones elsewhere in her body bending and shifting to better accommodate bipedal movement.

“Someone must get an excellent source of calcium in their diet.”

Abigail did not care for banter, only going immediately low at the zebragus' poor stance. But it was a feint, he easily hopped over her lazy swing, and with his true agility went in close with a blade which stabbed into her weakened plates. A howl was heard from deep within the beast as it slashed quickly at him to force him off.

“I just detest the undead, they have absolutely no sense of showmanship, or even an appreciation for it.”

Once again they began their dance of dodges and parry’s. Ted went in with a series of quick jabs, each one dodged by Abigail as she was on guard now. With her own speed she attempted more swings, these ones far faster than the previous, Ted managed to easily slide them across his blades or allow them to glance against his armor.

Twilight watched in amazement as the two fighters seemed to move with blinding speed in a death match of who would be the first to slip up. She wasn't sure how Ted managed to keep up, but he just smiled and kept at it. Abigail then seemed to take a few steps back, quills once again growing from her plates.

“Now would be a very good time!” Ted seemed to shout to no one in particular.

A bottle soared through the air and cleanly broke against Abigail's back, once more a deep howl emanating from somewhere within the beast. Its solid skull looked about in an attempt to find the new attacker.

Ted attempted to close, only to have Abigail kick out with one of her legs, it quickly shifted into a spear-like protrusion as it found a mark in Ted's padded joint sections. Ted took the opportunity, he reached low, grabbing her by the ankle of the leg that had him impaled slightly and whisked her onto her back. With her leg still in his hoof, he took one of his back legs and solidly smashed it into her knee joint, he felt it break under the force. Taking the now loose spear he jammed it into her weakened chest plates. “Not so easy when you're not fighting someone with a handicap IS IT!” Ted angrily taunted as she stared back with cold indignation.

Abigail twisted unnaturally and used her good leg to kick Ted off of her, the bones melting into her and reforming once again. Her blades turned into claws as she began climbing up the side of the building.

This isn't good, she's getting faster at that. Ted watched as Twilight tossed a bottle at her in panic, “NO!” but it was too late. Twilight played into Abigail's ploy, she gingerly caught the bottle, then whipped it with intense speed at Ted. He had to take off into the air to avoid the caustic spatter, only to feel one of his wings get lassoed by a boney whip that looked like an elongated spine. He was pulled down through the air next to Abigail as she landed, before he could react he felt something shear its way through his flesh, pain erupted across his back. He defensively pulled himself over to the fey of this world, gained some distance from her and reappeared, to see her holding a wing lassoed in her whip arm with a blood covered pair of razor sharp bone scissors in the other.

Ted knew that from that last jump he was out of reserve, he was still able to fight, but he knew it would be a while before he could attempt anything related to his power. “It's OK Abigail, I had two of them for a reason.” Ted watched as Abigail closed the distance, tossing aside his wing. She once again began a fight with him, their speeds were still matched, but this time Abigail was constantly shifting her weapons to adjust. Ted would parry a blade, only to have a bludgeon try to smash through his defenses the next second. Ted bided his time, making use of anything he could to hold her off for a few moments longer.

Then Ted finally heard the call of the fey again, with what little strength he had left he forced her into the defensive, cutting and jabbing at her as she gave ground. When the moment arose he clicked his wrists together, allowing the fey magic to course through them, green sparks of electricity flying off the faces of the blades as he began to cut apart bone that tried to impede his advance. He removed one of her arms, and tossed it aside before going for her throat in an attempt to sever her head. Abigail quickly ducked the second swipe, shifted her arm into a spear, and stabbed towards Ted. He had to parry it or get impaled once again, as he did so quills launched off her bony face-plates that had healed and peppered him across what little of his face was exposed.

Ted did his best to retreat while fighting back against the pain and Abigail. She allowed him to, and he noticed some of her denser bones seem to shallow out as her arm grew back. I'm losing this fight, no doubt about it. Something has got to happen and it has to happen now.

A twinkle of light flashed for a moment behind Abigail, before a purple unicorn appeared, a bottle floating next to her head. Abigail was too focused on Ted, so Twilight took the chance and plunged the last bottle into a gap in her plating. As it smashed across the strange black surface, Abigail flailed about and screeched as the corrosive material ate away at her already weakened form the quick regeneration. She quickly swiped at Twilight to make her back off, and then returned to a more equine form before taking off once again towards the direction of the old clinic.

Ted finally let his guard down as he watched her gallop off into the distance, he returned to all fours, and began pulling quills out of his face. “Very quick thinking, I must admit. If not a little foolish, but that's just a matter of perspective I suppose.” He cringed as a particularly stubborn quill finally gave as he pulled it out.

Twilight wandered over with a health potion floating over to Ted from her saddlebags, “I don't suppose you have your own left?”

“Sadly no, Andur and I got jumped this morning and I was forced to use it then on myself.” He grabbed the potion out of the air, he gave himself a moment of mental preparation and then downed the drink. He cringed and groaned as he felt the bones mending themselves into a new wing. “Try and never lose a limb Twilight, they never forget to let you hear about it later.” He looked back at the new appendage, the base form of the wing had regenerated but there were far too few feathers for it to look like more than a malnourished chicken bone. “Well they don't heal all the damage all the time.” He looked back to Twilight, “Are you ready for round two?”

“As ready as I can be, I guess.” she said with a shrug.

Off they went after the strange creature, hoping to stop it before it could do any more harm to Ponyville and its residents.

[/][/][14][/][/]

Cartanis was still stunned at what he was seeing, But... We can't be here, the astronomical amount of power required to do such a thing!

Rarity looked about, “This place is just dreadful, what are they even wearing, it looks like somepony just slapped some rags together and called it the next trend in fashion.”

“Why... Why would something risk this, just to show me my home?” Cartanis turned to look at Rarity, “What do you mean by doing this!?” he shouted to her.

Rarity was surprised with the tone he had taken, “I know just as much as you do, well maybe not as much, but I don't know what's going on either.”

“Not you Rarity, I am talking to that!” he pointed to her necklace.

She raised a curious eyebrow, “I don't think my element can-”

“Do not seek to question my judgment mortal.” a voice boomed through the sphere they were within. The light from the element grew brighter, and a small sphere of light began floating in the sphere with them.

“Do you know how dangerous a dimensional crossing is!? You could've caused-” but he was forced to silence, a strange power robbing him of speech.

“You know very little for one who thinks himself wise and learned in the ways of many things.” It boomed back.

Cartanis calmed down a little and felt his ability to speak return, “Fine, I guess you're more than I guessed. But just tell me why?”

“You are a dangerous paradox, you and all that came from this world.”

“What? If that's true how come we didn't just rip apart your world from a massive veil tear?”

“You were lucky to land so close to us, with what power we have we could keep the world held together from your careless use of powers our world couldn't comprehend. We had to go off of your memories and experiences to find your home so they would not be total paradoxes, even then it was dangerous to no end.”

Wait a minute... that can't be possible. “You're not just some powerful relic...” Cartanis' eyes grew wide with a mixture of fear and realization. “Then why risk something so precious, you could've annihilated everything you created.”

“It was necessary, the strange magics that beast, this Dra'nahb as your memories tell me, called forth were unlike any you ever tried to make use of. Our world is in far more danger than you can hope to realize. Now that the connection is made, we shall not need to worry about such danger to the veil again. At least not from your power.”

“Wait... connection? Then can you send us back?” Cartanis said with hope in his voice.

“No.” it stated flatly.

“What? At least tell me why!” Cartanis said infuriated.

“Before this journey we may very well have been able to, but now there is a threat far greater than some 'lich' and his pet.”

“Fine, we'll take out this threat. Then you shall send us back.”

“You fail to see the problem.”

“What problem!?” Cartanis was annoyed with the constant half-answers.

“In order to properly assimilate you into our world, to avoid the dangers of paradox, you must be better joined to our world. Normally such a thing would never be done, we should just take your compatriots and send you back here, but now we are left with no choice in the matter. The threat we sought to end centuries ago is once again rising, and only you and your friends shall have the means to end it.” The orb floated directly in front of his face. “For I am Generosity, one of the five and servant of the sixth, I bestow upon you a gift most grand. But it shall also be a curse, never again shall you want to return to your home, in so doing you would destroy it with your own presence.”

“You don't mean to-!” Cartanis backed away, but was grasped by a powerful force. He felt power surging through him, “But you can't! We'll never be able to return if you do this!”

“It must be done, my charge is to defend the world given to us, and you are the only means of survival we have left against this foe.” The Element of Generosity said with a tinge of sadness in its voice.

Rarity watched as Cartanis convulsed and twisted against the strange lights and forces that seemed to course through him from the light. What is it doing!? She thought frantically. Soon the lights began to fade, and the orb seemed to dim a little as it floated back into the necklace. She felt a strange power surge through herself for a moment as well, not sure what just happened she looked over to Cartanis who looked infuriated.

“Now we must return, the danger is still there and you must aid in the coming battle.” Generosity spoke.

“Fine then, bring about this enemy. If it's so important that a force of creation would attempt something so dangerous, then it must be stopped.” Cartanis said with less anger in his voice.

As the world once again began to disappear behind a wall of light, Rarity noticed Cartanis looking about, trying to take in everything he could as he looked at it. “Was that really your home?”

He looked sad as he finally lost sight of it, “Belliron will always be with me, but please let us focus on the task at hand. If something that powerful is concerned over Dra'nahb and his actions so much that it would risk fusing worlds together to stop him... then we must be ready.”

They then began moving along at incredible speed, no longer were they within a sphere of light but a Tunnel of energy as they rushed along through the void, safe from the destructive powers outside.

[/][/][15][/][/]

Fluttershy followed Pinkie Pie into one of the observation rooms in the clinic, “Is it really that bad?” she said with concern in her voice.

“Well from what Applejack and Nurse Redheart know he's not showing all the regular symptoms, I'm sure that just means he's going to be peachy keen in no time at all. Then we can have a good old laugh to celebrate.” Pinkie Pie said with a smile on her face.

They went inside the room, it was cleared of most patients save one, Andur was laying unconscious on a large gurney a slow drip of black substances leaking from his mouth.

Fluttershy didn't like the looks of it at all.

“There you are, I hope the staff didn't give you too much trouble.” Nurse Redheart spoke up as she approached them.

“They seemed a lot more agreeable once you told them to let us through, I wonder if I’ll ever get to have such loyal NPC's under my command..” Pinkie Pie stated.

Fluttershy ignored the strange rant and trotted over with the nurse to Andur, “Is he going to be alright?”

“We don't know, he hasn't shown any other symptoms besides coughing up a profuse amount of 'Ghoul's Bite' I think he called it. Now do you have that potion you spoke of?” Fluttershy produced it from her Saddlebag, “OK just feed it to him, I'm needed in the other rooms.”

Nurse Redheart disappeared out the doorway, Pinkie Pie trotted over next to her friend. “Do you really think we should be giving him two in a row?” she asked.

“I'm not sure... but it’s got to help him somehow.” Fluttershy said.

With the potion delivered and its effects subsiding, the two waited eagerly for any sign of life from Andur. Eventually he began coughing and sputtering profusely. “You really shouldn't waste so many resources on me...” he said weakly.

Fluttershy smiled at hearing his voice, Pinkie Pie hopped up and down excitedly. “I knew you wouldn't be infected, there is always one hero who is immune! I just love it when tropes are true.”

Andur watched as Pinkie Pie continued on her happy dance around the room, singing a jingle of some sort. “I appreciate this...” he coughed a bit, more blackened phlegm meeting the pillow by his mouth. “But I’m afraid it won't help in the end.”

“Don't talk like that Andur, you beat this before and you can beat it again.” Fluttershy said to him.

“This isn't the same thing from my story Fluttershy, that infection was something else entirely...” he coughed more. “This wants my body for its own purposes, not my soul wrenched from existence.” his eyes betrayed a calm acceptance as he looked at the fear on Fluttershy's face, “Don't worry about me, what little power I have won't let it take my body, I’ll beat the infection. But in the process I’m going to burn myself out.” His coughing sounded like someone who was suffering deeply as their throat was torn apart, a large volume of black liquid spewing from his mouth.

“There must be something you can do, Applejack went to the library to get her things. Maybe another potion-”

Andur interrupted her, “This isn't a sickness of the body anymore Fluttershy, my soul won't allow this to pass. It's already been locked in, I can feel my power waning as it finishes with what’s left of this foul thing that crawls inside me.” he smiled gently, “Once it’s done, I think I’ll try to make use of the last to save whoever is left before I am commuted to the afterlife.”

Pinkie Pie had stopped dancing about, and looked sadly at Andur, “Andur, why do you guys always have to be such party poopers? Can't we just have one celebration without a problem from your world somehow interrupting it?”

Fluttershy looked about nervously, “Andur... do you think that if you could somehow get your powers back... you might be able to survive?”

He shrugged, “I would I suppose, but I don't think I’ll be miraculously visited by Pelor now and be granted a reprieve.”

“What if... What if I had a silly idea about how I might be able to help?”

“Well I won't know how silly it is unless I hear it-” but he stopped when he noticed her taking a shining necklace out of her saddlebag, its gemstones in the shapes of butterflies like her cutie mark.

Pinkie Pie gasped, “Fluttershy, we don't know what could happen. We don't even know if Rarity and Cartanis are OK.”

“So this is an Element of Harmony?” Andur asked.

Fluttershy nodded as she put it on.

“Do you really think it will help?”

She nodded once more.

“Despite the danger, you're willing to risk it all to help a pony you hardly know?” Andur weakly laughed, “You are always so timid, but right now might be the bravest thing I’ve seen you do.”

“I'm not brave... maybe a little foolish...”

“Don't talk like that, you'd be surprised how many times I was called a fool.” He said with a smile on his face.

“Pinkie Pie, stand back... if you would... please” she said meekly, as her friend gave them some room.

Andur held out one of his hooves, Fluttershy then began to reach for it. The closer the two seemed to get the more intense the light from the element became. Until they eventually touched and Andur felt a strange presence link into his mind and soul. You have it within you... A motherly voice echoed within his mind. But it's waiting for something... Andur then felt a strange awareness of everything around him for a split second. Generosity has finished the bridge, we shall make use of it. The world around him seemed to brighten until he could not make out anything, his spirit left his physical form.

Andur felt himself soaring through the strange tunnel surrounded by an eerie blackness that was kept at bay by the walls around him. For a split second he felt a familiar presence, Cartanis? Before he could inquire further he felt himself slam into a force, an angelic hum echoing through his mind as they pierced the strange veil.

[/][/][16][/][/]

Cartanis awoke back in his own body, he strained against the force that was preventing him from moving, as he looked about the dark room he was within.

“Settle down, you're going to hurt yourself.” a voice echoed from the darkness as the room slowly began to come into view. Cartanis was in some form of study, books lined the walls as well as various tapestries.

“Release me this instant!” Cartanis demanded.

“Hold your tongue, I’ll only be a moment.”

Cartanis watched as a dark blue alicorn mare about the size of himself trotted into view, her horn slightly glimmering as straps locking him to the bed were undone and allowed him to move. He quickly looked himself over, just curious if anything had changed. He still felt his scars and broken horn, he was still blue, and definitely still just a unicorn. “What did you do with my clothes!?” he shouted.

“Every time we tried to do something to contact you, they would retaliate.” she gestured to some holes in the wall and a few singe marks about the room. “So we removed them.”

“I don't have time for this,” Cartanis remembered how the element had shown him the world for a split second and how he felt Abigail fighting her way through Ponyville, “Hat! Heel!” he waited for a moment before he lost his patience. “I don't have time for this.” he got up from the bed, and searched his mind for the appropriate way to perform what he was thinking of doing.

“What are you doing?” the alicorn protested.

“Just be a good assistant and tell Celestia this isn't totally Rarity's fault.” Cartanis said back with his eyes closed in concentration.

“Assistant? I will have you know-” but she was cut off as an aura of light sparked off of Cartanis' horn, the scars across his face began glowing intensely as he concentrated harder. He let out a shout of strain as he disappeared in a flash of light. The dark blue alicorn stood mouth agape, “But she said... how?”

Celestia trotted into the room. “Alright Luna, Rainbow Dash is back with her element, now we can try what you thought...” she noticed Cartanis was missing from his bed, and that Rarity was also rousing from her coma. “Matters of the State always seem to strike at inopportune times it seems.”

“I thought you said he couldn't use unicorn magic?” Luna questioned her sister.

“I did...” she used her power to sense him out amongst the magic of the world, “It seems things have gotten a little more interesting.”

“Hey, get back here!” a voice behind Celestia shouted as a top hat gently floated past her, hovering about the room for a moment before it gently floated to the ground where Cartanis had disappeared. Celestia let out a short chuckle as Rainbow Dash darted into the room. “Hey,” she said aloud. “Where's Cartanis?”

Luna spoke up as she helped Rarity out of her bed, “Probably off to deal with whatever had him so agitated, he's already almost back to Ponyville.”

[/][/][17][/][/]

Ted dived behind a building corner that was just out of the way from the incoming storm of quills. Twilight shortly winked into cover with him from a flash of light. “Ted, that was a horrible plan!” she said aloud.

“Well I never said that improvising was foolproof. Besides, how was I supposed to know that she could cannibalize ghoul corpses like that to recover quickly.” He said with a casual shrug.

“How could you have not known that! It's from your world!” she said back with an annoyed huff.

“OK, OK, you got me there, but I mostly deal with animals. That thing is more along creepy underground secrets that only Andur really understands so that he knows how to fight them.” Ted scratched at his chin, “Do you think you could try to drop something heavy on her?”

“How about your overinflated ego.” she retorted.

Ted gave her an unhappy glare before he quickly took a second to check on Abigail's progress, “Shoot.” He said. “There goes another seven out of the old clinic, that's like twenty that I’m going to have to hunt down later.”

“Hoping there will still BE a later for us.” he heard Twilight say.

Ted saw a twinkle of light appear close to Abigail, who was already reacting to it with a bladed arm prepared to strike. “Twilight you fool, she already figured out the tell for that maneuver!”

“What are you talking about?”

But then... Ted looked surprised as he saw Twilight peeking around the corner with him, he looked back to Abigail and the brightening corona as a unicorn was about to burst through from a teleportation.

[/][/][18][/][/]

Cartanis had never known of power in such a way, he sailed across the ley lines of the world, a symphony of sound and lights as it answered his call for speedy transport across the world. The power of it seemed to flow within everything that it touched. He closed on his destination, Alright, let's see how you deal with someone who knows how to fight you.

As he pierced the barrier between the magic of the world and reality, he quickly concentrated and called to the arcane with his power. No more was the source muddled and confusing as if he was reaching across a great distance just to siphon some away, it now beckoned to his call, giving him anything he asked for.

He erupted into Ponyville in a blast of light as Abigail swiped with a bony scythe, it made contact with a surface as hard of steel. She stared directly into the gaze of an angry blue unicorn, Threat elevated...

Cartanis focused on the might of his arcane barrier, it streaked and sparked as it easily repelled the force trying to punch its way through. He then used his power to throw it outward from himself in a concussive blast focused on the creature before him. It toppled and rolled across the ground as it failed to hold itself upright from the impact of it.

As she rolled across the ground, rays of intense cold arced through the air, leaving distinct trails of ice and frost in their wake. The rays met their marks, focusing their power upon the hardened plates of bone, making them cold and brittle to further attack.

Cartanis quickly focused orbs of concussive thunder, multiple ones, as they floated about he sent them off as he got the chance. Their forms distorting from the speed which they impacted, a solid crunch of bone heard just under the clap of thunder.

Abigail began to retaliate, sending off quills towards her target as she tried to close.

Cartanis once again used his new magic, his scars and horn sparking with power as he shot through the ley lines of the world to a new destination. Reappearing not far from where he was, a fleet of magic missiles swarmed about himself, angrily howling as he sent them off towards his target.

Abigail managed with great strain to dodge most of them, but more than a few met their marks, exploding and shredding at parts of her sensitive shadowy form that was supposed to be protected by layers of bone. Must not lose this body... inefficient... make use of subordinates... She let loose a unearthly howl into the air, calling out to the abominable children of her works.

A dozen ghoul-ified ponies of various types erupted from the old clinic, charging with direction towards Cartanis.

He quickly reacted by arcing lightning through the air, the atmosphere was a storm of charged particles as they lanced through some of them, paralyzing them within their own bodies. But he felt the resistance of some of the unicorn's blocking his spells. Blast, this won't end well if Abigail makes use of them properly.

He noticed Ted waving to him from behind an old building near the other end of the street, he felt for the new perception he was given to use unicorn magic. It felt tired and worn from use, I've only got one shot at this. He began calling to the various planes of the elemental chaos, bringing about a great ruin in the form of a powerful idea he concocted.

As the ghouls closed, the air around them began to warm and combust, distorting from the heat. As they began to back off Cartanis unleashed a hell-storm upon them, a small whirlwind of fire and lightning erupted from his position, tearing apart everything in its path.

Ted felt a pang of worry, He can't defend himself against something like that! Even if it is his own- He jumped back in fright as Cartanis warped in, a few feet in front of him.

Twilight spoke up, “Since when can you use unicorn magic?”

“Long story, not now. Ted are you ready to help out and stop gawking at me?”

“Oh yes, it’s just umm.” he was staring at Cartanis' flank.

“Can you use your bow?” Cartanis stated flatly.

Ted was broken from his train of thought, “I've been using my fey powers all day, I'm pretty dried up at this point.” he looked over and saw a few unicorn ghouls leading stragglers out of the inferno that was slowly settling behind them. “If Abigail makes use of those unicorns, you're not going to be much help Cartanis, even if you are running on the new and improved model.”

Cartanis cursed under his breath, “Then it looks like we'll just have to let her win, but I ain't letting her leave without taking some casualties.” spells of various types began to swirl about in the air around himself, booming with power.

A thunderous cacophony of hooves met their ears as they looked down the street from where it originated, to see that Andur was charging through the roads behind them. He looked over to them, a smile graced his face when he saw Cartanis, “Just follow my lead!” he shouted to him as he continued out into the area around the old clinic, covered from neck to hooves in his plate-mail.

“How is he even?” Ted just threw his hooves up in frustration, “That's it, I’m tired of being amazed, I need to let off some steam.” He followed close behind Andur as Cartanis followed at a distance, his spells in tow.

I hope he can manage with only his martial prowess. Cartanis thought to himself.

Andur stopped halfway to the group of ghouls, Ted stopping next to him. “OK so we let Cartanis pepper'em a bit and hope we get the stragglers. Then I'll go for-”

Andur interrupted, “Cartanis, don't waste your energy on the first few!” He said with confidence.

“Please tell me you're not improvising, that went horrible for me last time I tried it.” He was uneasy as Andur smiled back to him, “Oh come now. You're not the jester, I am! You're always the one with the plan, not me!”

“All bets are off, just stay behind me.” Andur then slowly marched his way towards the undead crowd.

Abigail measured up the resistance, Confident... Foolish... threat of magic user nullified by unicorns... make use... then retreat with what's left... She let out an order to her minions, leaving one of the unicorns behind to keep herself safe. A crowd of several angry ghouls charged at him, as they closed Abigail let loose a hail of quills to cover their advance.

Andur slowly broke into a charge as the monsters came closer, his aloof expression changed back into his normal serious demeanor. “Those that hold true to the faith shall receive absolution in the times of evil's reign!”

The power of his deity surged through him, his armor erupting in a brilliance of sunlight. He shouted a cry of war as his pupils ignited. A wave of power flooded out from his person, as it connected to the ghouls it was appalled by the creations it met. The light weaved through the beings, tearing apart the corruption within them while scattering the quills above, they fell to the dirt beneath themselves as their bodies were devoid of a will. Calmly laying about the streets as if they were peacefully resting, waiting for someone to take them to their places.

The few that survived were soon ignited in pillars of intensely concentrated fire, disintegrated into piles of ash, or quickly finished off by Ted with a quick incision with his blades.

Andur has antithesis power... extreme danger... situation lost, cut losses and fall back...

Abigail immediately donated all her resources over to attempting to give herself an edge in her escape. Sending off her remaining minion in an attempt to slow the charging engine of retribution. For only a moment it ceased its charge, the vengeful star of Morellia piercing its form with a swift smash, sending the body scattering into a pile of ash and bone. Abigail made use of her time, folding and changing her form. Bat-like wings grew from the plates on her shoulders, the black shadowy form weaved its way between the fingers of the wing

Andur gave chase as she took off into the air, as she tried to lose them by flying high Andur began forming lances of light from his power, sending them off in an attempt to slow her. Abigail managed to dodge a few, but more than enough were connecting with her to force a dive to avoid the rest. She turned down an alleyway with a trail of flakes and ash in her wake, but broke the line of sight Andur had managed to hold. He turned to Ted, noticing his misshapen wing. “Would you mind?” He asked him.

“Absolutely not, why in the world would I want you to fix my crippling injury! That's just rude to even think-” Ted flinched in pain as he felt the bones mold back correctly and the feathers spontaneously regenerate from their places. “Is my sarcasm really that telling of my wishes?”

“Just track her as far as you can, we need to find out where Dra'nahb is. Now go!”

Ted took off into the sky, following the monster as it once again broke into the sky farther to the west from the tops of some buildings.

Cartanis approached Andur as he watched Ted flying off into the distance, “So I take it you had the same little adventure I did?”

“Yes.” Andur said with some hope in his voice, “do you think we could make use of them?”

“No.” Cartanis stated flatly, “I'm not sure if you were told the same, but I know for a fact that we will never be able to return now. Ted still has a chance, I doubt however that he will want to leave us.”

Twilight galloped down the street behind them, “Cartanis are you OK? Is Rarity?”

“We are both fine, I just had to make use of your worlds strange magic to get here in time is all.” Cartanis turned to Andur, “I believe you should consecrate whatever is left in the morgue, given there is anything left in there.”

Andur nodded an affirmative, and trotted off towards the old building.

Cartanis then began wandering about the open space of the street, taking account of bodies lying around. He had to stop however when he felt Twilight staring at him, “You know it isn't polite to gawk. I've already looked myself over, and I’m pretty sure nothing has changed.”

“Sorry...” she wanted to change the subject, “so what did you mean that you wouldn't be able to return?”

Cartanis sighed, “Your Elements of Harmony are things far greater than you may realize, there is very little that is capable of the feats they can perform. Now thanks to them, Andur and I are now stuck here for the rest of our days.”

“That doesn't answer my question.” she retorted.

“We were changed.”

“Well I already know that.”

“Not physically, that was easy for them to do. Now however, with a more direct link, we have been changed in a way far more fundamental.” He turned to her, his strange gaze that betrayed years of research and understanding meeting her eyes. “We have been hybridized with your world, I am now both a unicorn and a human wizard. Not physically, but in my soul I know this to be true. Before I was just a human wizard in a unicorn’s body, but now” his scars and horn glowed slightly as he lifted a few rocks which in turn had an aura around them, “I am something else, as is Andur in some aspect I would assume.” Light seemed to shine out of the old clinic and then dim, a gentle calm covered the area as the sun was just starting to reach its noon position in the sky.

He grew sullen, “Thanks to your elements, we are capable of existing here. However this is a road that cannot be undone, you can only add features to a soul in the way they have. If we ever tried to return, our world would react to us like a bacterial infection, as it should lest we cause a paradox that could eliminate it entirely.”

“Well I'm sorry, but I don't think dwelling on it will help anything.” Twilight retorted.

Cartanis laughed a bit, “That sounds like something Andur would say.” He turned to see Andur wandering out of the old clinic, “Speaking of whom.”

Andur approached his friend once more, “Didn't get the chance to talk to you earlier, but I think you could agree I was a little busy.”

“You sure were!” Pinkie Pie stated as she appeared from down the road, “That was even cooler than I thought it was going to be!”

“I wondered if you had followed me.” Andur stated.

“Well that time I was extra sneaky, and I think you don't have a good perception, might have something to do with all that loud noise your armor makes.” Pinkie Pie looked over to Cartanis as she hopped along to close the distance, she let out a loud gasp.

“It’s good to see you to-”

But he was cut off as she began smiling and dancing about while shouting. “Cute-cenera party!” over and over again.

“Um Pinkie Pie, that's meant for little fillies. I don't think Cartanis qualifies.” Twilight spoke up.

“Oh, you’re right.” she calmed only a smidgen. “But it’s still going to be a great party!”

“What are you two on about?” Cartanis asked with some concern. “We have a disaster to try and avert here, we are not anywhere near done.” Twilight then pointed to his flank, Cartanis then finally realized what they were on about when he looked. “Well would you look at that.”

A book lay open with the pages flowing in a breeze, the pages flipping stood frozen in time, each a different element that he could summon.

“That's just dandy I guess, even if I've never been one for tattoos or such nonsense...” he smiled slightly, “But I kind of like this one.”

Pinkie Pie hopped over to Andur, “I know you've got to have one too!”

Andur was worried by the look Pinkie Pie was giving him, “Is it really that big of a deal?”

“Well is your destiny a big deal to you?”

Andur just rolled his eyes, then undid some of the straps that fastened his armor to his hips, before carefully removing the plates from his flanks.

The six pointed symbol of a Peloric sun was emblazoned on his hip which was covered by a shield engraved with an equine encased in armor.

“I did have a nickname for defender of the faith.” Andur laughed as he got a good look at it.

“So what now?” Twilight asked.

Andur placed his armor back onto his person, and once again took on the demeanor of a leader. “We wait for Ted to report back, he has a book now and should be fine so long as he doesn't get overzealous. Until then, I think we've got another thing to worry about.”

“What would that be?” Cartanis asked.

“Preparing the Bearers of Harmony for battle.” He said turning to Twilight.

“Why would you do that? I'd love to help but I think those things are a little out of our league.”

“I'm not sure if you'll have a choice in the matter, Fluttershy didn't.” he said flatly. Concern growing on the two ponies faces.

Cartanis' interest was piqued, “What do you mean?”

“I don't think we are the only things here that have been affected by that connection the Elements of Harmony made to our old world.”

Cartanis blanched slightly, “This could get very bad.”

“Calm yourself. Kindness told me that we would not have to worry about that, the bridge between our worlds is one directional and only capable of transferring energy. However they have to be careful and only make use of sources they can locate using us.”

Cartanis walked over to Twilight as he realized the possibilities, “I would recommend caution the next time you try to use your Element Miss Sparkle. It could have... permanent consequences.”

Andur followed as Cartanis began trotting about the town, losing himself in thought, but he turned and said one last thing to Twilight and Pinkie Pie. “Make up your minds soon Bearers of Harmony, but do not do so out of fear or gratitude. There is no turning back once you have walked the paths we have. So make only the wisest decision, and make that decision true to who you are.” He then caught up to Cartanis as citizens of Ponyville began wandering about their lives, looking to them for answers.

Pinkie Pie looked over to her friend, “What do we do Twilight?”

Twilight seemed to look very sure of herself for once, “We get the girls together, and make this decision as one.”

Pinkie Pie followed Twilight as she was off to find her friends, to make one of the most important decisions of their young lives.

End of Chapter 9