• Published 29th Dec 2016
  • 2,228 Views, 55 Comments

Unrelenting Voice and Soul - The Library



The dragonborn has grown old, and after his victory against Alduin and Miraak he fears there is nothing left to for him. With the help of a Thu'um he starts anew, but tis not what he expected.

  • ...
5
 55
 2,228

4. Calm before the storm

In the castle ruins, the dragonborn was still exploring several rooms. From time to time he would have to duck, jump or say completely still as he triggered some traps. Luckily for him the traps were mostly harmless and only threw him off the path. Now he was making his way through a narrow pathway which was lit up by some torches on the walls, but what kind of spooked him was the fact that those torches were hold up by hooves. Metal hooves.

"Well then... I'm sure I saw a pair of stairs somewhere around here. But those damned traps keep me throwing off track!" He partly yelled in frustration.

His irritation growing with each minute that passed he finally lost his temper after one of the traps dropped him off back in the main courtroom. He picked up a single marble block with ease and smashed it through the left wall, creating a hole which revealed a pair of stairs.

"Now, that's certainly interesting." He said as he calmed down ever so slightly, but his mood had grown dark over the hours that has passed since his arrival within the castle. The annoyed dragonborn made his way to the pair of stairs and ascended it, getting quite curious what might be at the top.

Once more at the Canterlot castle, a lone soul sleeps silently within her bed. Her room covered with midnight blue curtains, an enchanted ceiling which portraits a deep galaxy with several swirling solar systems and stars as far as the eye can see. The systems were moving ever so slowly giving them a relaxing effect once you stare at them long enough.

This very room belongs to the sister of Celestia, known as Luna. She is the complete counterpart of Celestia, both literally and figuratively. While Celestia holds a link with the celestial body known as the sun, Luna has a strong link with the moon which is part of her domain and once served as her prison. Luna was a kind ruler of the night, but misunderstood. Since she gained the nickname 'Nightmare Moon' the ponies of Equestria are still somewhat fearful of her presence. While trying to improve her reputation with the ponies, she gained the friendship of the young student that Celestia is training. It was only a start, but it helped her regain some of her confidence that was nowhere to be found until recently.

But it was the time of the day where she would sleep through the afternoon till it was time to raise her moon into the sky, yet it was around three o'clock in the afternoon as she was awoken by a few knocks on her door.

Her ears twitch lightly as she wakes up with a groan to express her annoyance. "What does thee want with us." She asked as she turned around in her bed to face the door, sitting up straight while the covers still hang on her face. The doors open as a Thestral Night Guard walks in a bows before his princess.

"Greetings to your highness, I was asked by her majesty Celestia to fetch you and bring you to the throne room. Something has occurred this morning and she wants to enlighten you on the subject." The guard said with a deep voice.

"Yes, we were somewhat aware of the event that played in the ballroom. It was hard not to hear such a earthshaking roar." Luna replied with her blanked still partly covering her head, making it look like she was wearing a hooded robe. "Alright, we shall follow thou but only because we art curious to what creature can make such a noise. If it were a dragon he would have been captured." Luna gently raises from her bed and stretches herself as some of her joins pop which causes her to release a pleasant sigh. Once she was wearing her royal garments she nodded towards her guard which bowed before her and lead her through the halls of the castle towards the courtroom where Celestia was awaiting her arrival.

It took the princess of the night and the guard a good ten minutes to move themselves towards their destination. During the entire walk, none of them said a word to each other, that was until they arrived at the main doors which lead into the courtroom.

The Solar guards looked at the princess of the night and bowed before her. "Her highness Princess Celestia awaits your arrival Princess Luna." He spoke in a neutral tone, which wasn't strange considering. But Luna heard a tinge of hate at his lips but did not call out to him, for she could care less.

The massive doors open, making way to a giant courtroom filled with decorations and a long red carpet on the floor leading to the stairs on which the thrones stand upon. Without sharing a glance with the guards Luna approached her sister who was sitting on one most right throne which had a sun carved into it at the very top of the backboard of the chair. The opening of the doors gained Celestia's attention as she looked up from her paper work and at her little sister who walks towards her. She drops her quill and paper and trotted down the small stairs and greeted her sister in kind.

"Good afternoon dear sister of mine." She said and pulled Luna into a loving hug. "I apologies for calling you out here during your sleep, but I found it necessary to include you on this matter."

"Good afternoon to you too Tia, and thou art forgiven for we were aware that something was amiss. Since no normal creature can roar like it did." Luna responded. "Did the guard capture this being or did they not?"

The face on Celestia's muzzle hardens as she motions towards Luna to follow her back towards her throne. She sat down once more as a heavy sigh escaped her muzzle. "Sadly, the creature escaped by jumping through one of the memory windows and into the lake beneath Canterlot. At first I sent Shining Armor after it the moment I felt its presence, but it is strong. Really strong."

Luna's muzzle took on a look of surprise, it was unheard of a creature to defeat the captain of the royal solar guard. "How did this creature defeat your captain sister, it must have incredible power to avoid capture."

"Exactly my thoughts sister." Celestia responded. "From the report that Shining Armor personally told me, it used some kind of magic to deflect four tier II seductive bolts with ease. And when Shining ordered the platoon to subdue the creature with force it used, according to Shinings point of view, a yell or shout of sort which ripped the weapons from his levitation aura as well as from hooves and mouths, scattering them all across the hall. And once the entire platoon was in disarray it escaped."

Luna was completely baffled by the report as her mouth was hanging agape. "Surely tis creature had aid from another source!" She exclaimed, clearly not believing that a single creature could escape an entire platoon of military grade Solar Guards.

Celestia winched lightly at the volume of Luna's voice as she waved her hoof at her lightly. "So did I, but when I searched for the creature below he was alone and none of the guards noticed anything strange about it other than its armor, weapons and magic."

Deep in thought Luna looked at Celestia with a curious expression. "You found the creature below the city?" She asked tilting her head to the side.

"I did, though the moment it walked deeper into the city it passed the range of my magic, completely disappearing."

Luna nodded in response, knowing that her sister is powerful. But even an Alicorn has limits, even if they are few. "So what now sister?" She asked. "Surely you will look for the creature and capture it, or a panic might occur among the nearby villages."

"I did sister," Celestia replied. "I sent Shining Armor and his White Company towards Ponyville to provide reconnaissance around the Everfree should the creature still be there. As for why I asked you here is to sent one of your groups towards our old castle. Before the creature fell out of my range it was on the old path that leads to the Castle of the Royal Sisters."

Luna ponders on the question. Surely her guards are swift, cunning and above all really good in stealth missions. "Of course sister, we will sent Crimson Moon and his platoon towards the castle."

"Thank you lulu, I knew I could count on you. Though be sure to enlighten Crimson on the strength of the creature, it should not be underestimated." Celestia said in thanks and as a warning. She stood up from her throne and lovingly nuzzled Luna in the neck. Deep inside, Celestia was somewhat glad to see her sister beside her and eager to show her worth to all of Equestria even if the other ponies might not be ready just yet. Then a thought suddenly entered her mind. "Oh my, I need to sent word to Twilight about the arrival of the guards. She might be able to assist them in the search."

With a nod Luna descended the stairs and turned to face her sister once more. "Of course sister, we shall now brief Crimson Moon of the mission. They will be ready in thirty minutes."

Celestia nodded in reply and sat down on her throne once more, with her thoughts lingering towards the strange creature and what its purpose is with the kingdom of Equestria. She released a sigh, not letting her worries carry her thoughts to a place where they should not go. All she can do, is hoping that it is found.

The Nord's curiosity has brought him up a long flight of spiral stairs which almost seem to go on forever, but luckily for him he would soon reach the top. When he reached the top his breath was stuck between his lungs and his mouth, for before him was a sight which baffled him somewhat. He stands before a completely decorated bedroom, with everything a bedroom requires. A desk, several large bookcases and a queen sized bed. He had seen quite a few large beds in his time when he would visit a noble, but this was something else entirely. But what surprised him the most is that while the castle lies mostly in ruin, this room was void of any damage or signs of age.

He approached the desk and carefully places his plated gauntlet on its maple wooden frame. "This surely is some work of art." He mutters under his breath as he follows the lines of the desk till he was standing before a one of the large bookcases which was filled with many tomes and scrolls.

He carefully removes a book from one of the shelves and opens it on a random page. Sadly, the thing he feared the most was confirmed by what is written in the book. The fact that he can't read any of it, because it is written in an unknown language which somewhat resemble runes but from an unknown origin.

"Well that is certainly a shame, but that would explain why the equines within the lifted city didn't understand me." His thoughts raced on how he could possibly fix this issue, before he or any of the equines do something they might regret. He carefully placed the book back on the shelf and eyed the bed with a curious glance. It looked sturdy and really soft.

"Beats a bedroll or some hay and a blanked." He commented as he removed one of the gauntlets and placed his bare hand on the Mattress gently pushing down onto it. He watched in amazement as his hand nearly vanishes into it. The temptation became too much as the events of the day took their toll on his body, as a wave of tiredness washed over him like a warm bath in one of the springs that could be found in Skyrim.

He attempts to press a yawn back but failed to do so as he felt his eyes closing on him automatically. "I guess a nap won't hurt no one..." He said as he starts to remove the heavy Nordic armor and sword. He stars with his gauntlets, followed by the sabaton's which earned a somewhat blissful moan as his feet came free from their steel prisons. he then took off his chest armor followed by the belt and leg armor until he was only wearing his cloth underwear and his hair covered chest exposed to the fresh air. Feeling more drowsy than ever before he sat on the edge of the bed. Looking around the bedroom once more he laid down entirely as his body fully succumbed to sleep, sending him into a peaceful slumber for once in his entire existence.

Author's Note:

I'm sure a lot of you know how it feels when you take off your work shoes or any pair of shoes for that matter after a long walk or work day. Let me tell you, it feels just like heaven kissed my feet.

Anyway, new chapter here to build up for the coming chapters. Of course I'm not going to reveal much because I'm a total dick.
Right! Thanks again for reading, until next time guys, cya!