• Published 28th Dec 2016
  • 3,222 Views, 67 Comments

Crash Bandicoot: Equestria - Revenant Wings



In his latest plans for world domination, Dr Neo Cortex sends Crash Bandicoot to another world. Now, Crash must team up with the ponies of Equestria to defeat Cortex and return home before both worlds fall to the wrath of Cortex.

  • ...
2
 67
 3,222

Level 4: Restrained Madness

Both Crash Bandicoot and Twilight Sparkle stared at the figure in surprise.

Ripper Roo!? Crash exclaimed.

“Ah, I see you’ve finally decided to give those vocal chords a whirl!” the blue, stunted kangaroo said in approval. “Or rather, magic has decided to lend a helping hand, eh? I see that horn ring. I’ve been here a few days myself and had plenty of time to go through this all!”

“Wait a minute!” Twilight said. “This is already getting confusing. It sounds like you two know each other, but you can read Equestrian. What is going on!?”

“Ah, my dear lady, that is reasonably simple.” The stunted kangaroo bowed slightly and tipped his top hat towards Twilight with his cane. “My name is Ripper Roo, and yes, I am from the Wumpa Islands much as Crash is. I went insane for a brief period – not my best moments, I assure you – but Crash here knocked some sense into me whilst on a rush to save his dear girlfriend Tawna. I went to university and undertook a Psy.D. programme and turned my life around after that. I owe something to this fellow.” He pointed the cane at Crash.

“Yeah, but that doesn’t explain how you can read Equestrian,” Twilight said.

Or why you’re being so nice to me when the last time I saw you, you were still a bit insane, Crash added.

“And you tried to attack us,” Aku Aku put in.

Ripper Roo nodded. “Ah, yes, I’ve had a few setbacks. See, I was sent by the good Doctor Nitrous Brio to keep you from giving the crystals to Cortex. But, I assure you I am no longer allied with dear Neo; after all, he’s the one that made me go insane in the first place. As for your question, my lady, it was a matter of finding a relatively reliable translation guide; Saddle Arabian is very similar to my own world’s Arabic, so I translated things from Equestrian to Saddle Arabian to Arabic to English, what we call this common tongue of ours.”

Twilight nodded and managed to smile. “I must admit, I’m impressed. That must have taken you a while.”

“Oh, I’ve had plenty of time to myself,” Ripper Roo said. “I’ve been here about a week since Brio sent me here to find you, Crash, right after you left our world. But I found myself stranded in the middle of these ruins. So I fortified myself, made it easy to go out and search for food and water, and began studying in earnest. I’ve made my way through at least six volumes of history books, three in geography, four in biology and fauna, two in magic and magical history, and have a basic understanding of pony anatomy.”

Twilight was deciding more and more that she liked this fellow, even if he was a little strange. “Well, that is very admirable, Mister Roo; seems you have quite the appreciation for books. And, it also seems like you’re on our side.”

“I believe that was the point,” Ripper Roo said. “Brio prefers tending bar to mad science these days, but he still has a bit in him. Got me here, for example, but there’s no way back without the crystals – which, if they’re all assembled, will take all of us back where we belong regardless of where we are. Of which I managed to snag one off of Cortex not too long ago.”

Ripper Roo hopped onto his cane then took a flying leap across the room to a wooden box. He grabbed the box and bounced back over, which merely stunned Twilight rather than completely floored her, and handed the box over to Crash.

The box was small and simple in shape but was adorned with an elaborate carving of each of the three pony races surrounding various symbols – a butterfly, a gemstone, an apple, a balloon, a lightning bolt, and a star. It had a gold clasp on it that once held a lock of some sort but time had apparently rusted away. Crash opened it to see a faded purple cushion, on which held the glowing power crystal.

Crash took it out of the box and handed the box back. Is it real? he asked, looking to Aku Aku in confusion.

Aku Aku took it and looked it over. “Yes, but it’s not charged. I’m afraid it won’t give you any powers quite yet. But I would not trust to activate it here.”

“The spell is simple enough,” Twilight said. “I can do it easily.”

“If you think you can,” Aku Aku said. “Though I would prefer it if we were back at the castle.”

“As would I,” Ripper Roo said. “Now, understand that doesn’t mean I’m going with you, as I can tell by the looks on your faces you don’t want me doing,” he added with an almost manic grin. “But I agree this place is not safe, and I’m not talking about the Equestrian wildlife. Cortex has at least three more crystals, Crash, and he’s given them to those other mutants of his. I wouldn’t be surprised if he knew this one existed and launches an attack on the place to find it.”

“Then let me charge it now,” Twilight said. “We’ll need Crash as powerful as he can be before we leave.”

Aku Aku nodded. “Take the crystal and charge it, Twilight. But I fear more than Cortex in these woods.”

“You should,” Ripper Roo said gravely as Twilight took the crystal in her magic and began mumbling quickly, walking off to another corner of the room, “considering there is a very real possibility of both you and Crash dying here.”

Aku Aku whirled around and seemed for a moment like he might catch on fire. “Was that a threat?” he asked, voice low and menacing.

“Not a threat, but a warning,” Ripper Roo said. “Have you noticed the conspicuous absence of a particular object? Because, as far as I’m concerned, our style of making crates is... shall we say, ‘native’ to the Wumpa Islands.”

“If you say one more word, I’ll make sure to use my magic to—”

But Aku Aku was cut off by Crash putting a gloved hand in front of him. Hold on a minute, he contemplated seriously. Let’s see what he means by this. And frankly, I have to agree. There’s something off about this place, and I’ve felt it since the fight against Dingodile.

“Not as dumb as Brio thinks you are if you’re allowed time to think, I see,” Ripper Roo said admirably. “But perhaps it is because you’ve become aware of the dire situation you’ve found yourself in. Aku Aku has lost some of his glow, hasn’t he? And there’s not a thing around here you can do to get him back.”

Aku Aku’s mouth suddenly dropped as far down as his wooden mask form would allow. “You mean, I could disappear and not be able to protect Crash anymore?”

“Not permanently,” Ripper Roo said. “But yes.”

...and without Aku Aku’s protection... I’ll die if I’m attacked.

“You aren’t a total one-hit wonder here,” Ripper Roo said. “But I’m afraid it would be a permanent death if it happened.”

Crash’s eyes suddenly went wide in surprise and his two eyebrows jumped nearly off his head.

“There is a way we can remedy this,” Ripper Roo said. “Thankfully, so long as a crate has been constructed properly and the correct design painted on it, a bit of magic and mad science is all it takes to create something to bring Aku Aku back. The only problem is I haven’t the means to carry that out. But I found an enchantment spell to take care of that, and that alicorn seems to have enough energy to sufficiently create the crate.”

So we can bring Aku Aku back if necessary.

“Which it might be,” Ripper Roo said. “Especially if Cortex is charging and using the crystals’ power himself.”

Twilight returned as Ripper Roo had bounced back to his desk and was writing something with a pen in his mouth on a spare piece of parchment. He scribbled something onto the paper then bounced back over to them – Twilight giving a slight scream as he did so – only to hand the paper specifically to Twilight.

“Use this spell with care, but as often as need applies,” Ripper Roo told her. “The rules of our world do not apply here, and Crash can very easily die if he loses the mask protecting him. And take these” – he handed over what looked like a set of blueprints – “and use them to construct a crate. Use the spell on the crate and let Crash break it and Aku Aku shall be restored.”

Twilight took them and the two scrolls blipped out of existence. “They are in a safe place in the library,” she said. “And here, Crash. So now you can jump twice, body slam, and what?”

Aku Aku took the crystal and examined it. “A longer slide,” he said. “Twice as long as before. Though I know not what use that would have.”

Getting under logs or rocks, Crash thought matter-of-factly as he took it back almost possessively.

“Well, I’ll leave you three to go for now,” Ripper Roo said. “Though if I hear any more word from Brio, I’ll find a way to keep in touch.”

“Well, thank you for everything, both the crystal and the crate spell. And if we need any more information, we’ll—”

It was now the whole group became more aware of the sound of wind whistling and then roaring through the castle ruins, and none of them could ignore it any longer. Outside, up and away from the castle, also came a mechanical hum like the grinding of gears and the vicious pump of steam.

“That’s not good...” Ripper Roo said.

All three looked over towards the stunted kangaroo in confusion.

“That sounds like one of Cortex’s inventions.”

* * *

Twilight, Crash, and Ripper Roo ran outside the library and to the open courtyard in front of the old Castle of the Two Sisters. The sky outside was now late afternoon but a shadow had been cast and a large figure blocked out the sun.

It looked to Twilight like a blimp but was much larger than a blimp and not powered by simple wind. It was the same general shape but four rockets were attached to the bottom and three more to the smaller end of the blimp. In contrast to the wood and sturdy cloth blimps, this airship was also made almost entirely of metal except for a small glass cockpit towards the front. A large N in a circle dominated the sides of the ship, and a small slit could be seen in the bottom.

“N. Gin,” Ripper Roo said quietly. “I’d almost forgotten about him.”

There was a crackle of a loudspeaker turning on and a voice that was half-normal half-machine began to speak out.

“We found you, Crash Bandicoot! We know you’re holding some of the slave crystals. Well, we propose a trade: the slave crystals for your sister!”

I won’t do it! Crash shouted with his mind. I’ll take Coco back and use the crystals to banish you from here!

“I can’t hear any of you from up here,” the metallic voice returned, “but I’ll send down a little incentive and come back later for your reply.”

The slit in the bottom opened up to reveal a hatch, and suddenly a large amount of oddly-humanoid figures all dressed in white coats and shiny glasses through which their eyes were hidden were lowered onto the forest floor across the bridge from where the three stood. The platform they were on was held on by ropes connected to the platform by latches, which released as soon as the platform rested on solid ground and retreated back into the ship. With the ropes back in the ship, the hatch closed and the ship took off with a pounding roar.

“What are they!?” Twilight cried out.

“Cruel imitations of humans from our world,” Ripper Roo said. “All have the outward appearance, but inside is only machinery, designed for one purpose: obtain the Power Crystals.”

“And we have three right now,” Aku Aku said. “Three of the slave crystals, but not the master.”

But they could find their way to the master crystal if they have the slave crystals, Crash said. We can’t let them have them.

“I’m afraid we have no choice.” Ripper Roo turned to Twilight. “You know any offensive spells?”

Twilight nodded, face focused in concentration.

“We’ll need all the help we can get. First of all, I need you to destroy the bridge. Crash, come with me, I’ve got a few things to help us out.”

Twilight went over and carefully focused the remaining sunlight heat and energy onto the ropes holding the bridge to the castle. Slowly the rope turned red and the fibers began to split apart as the first wave of automatons came forwards and broke as the second wave started to move forward. Time was of the essence and Twilight quickly moved to the second, destroying the fibers and focusing it more to speed it up. Soon the second rope burned apart and the bridge went falling down into the abyss below.

Twilight noticed Aku Aku was floating nearby. “Come, Twilight,” he said. “Your magic will be invaluable.”

Twilight nodded and followed Aku Aku to a small wooden trap door as though to a cellar nearby. Ripper Roo was fiddling with a key and soon had unlocked the hatch and opened the cellar door.

“The rope is burnt,” Twilight said. “That will give us some time.”

“Good. Now, I’ve got something for offense, but we’ll have to be careful. They’re volatile.”

A faint blorp sounded from inside.

“Whoa!”

Twilight jumped, startled at the sudden but unmistakable vocalization. “…what is it Crash?”

…what in the world is he doing with a store of Nitro!? Crash thought, clearly panicked. He’d jumped a foot backwards and his eyebrows nearly popped off his head.

“Nitro?”

“A very volatile substance,” Aku Aku said. “The slightest wrong touch and it violently explodes.”

“I can see why it might be of use but how are we to use it?”

“Your magic,” Ripper Roo said matter-of-factly. “Crash can handle TNT so long as he doesn’t stay by it for very long. You can probably hold the Nitro without provoking it. I’ve got a good store of both.”

“…I’m supposed to throw it at them, aren’t I?”

“You’re not exactly fond of hurting people if you can’t stand it, are you? Well, suffice it as an explanation to say those things across the chasm are soulless and won’t understand friendship. No talking, no reprogramming, nothing will change their course.” Ripper Roo sighed. “Trust me, no damage will be done except as an assault against Cortex.”

Twilight bit her lip, but followed Ripper Roo into the hatch and began to help levitate the red-and-yellow TNT boxes into a small wall just outside of the hatch and stood over the hatch with her magic ready to grab the Nitro. She tested one and threw it at the wall of the chasm; the box exploded with a loud bang! and a puff of green smoke that quickly faded away. Volatile indeed… she thought, awed at the sight.

“You ready to use those?”

Twilight picked another one up and nodded.

“Very well. Time to give Cortex a taste of his own medicine!”

* * *

Author's Note:

Slowly getting back to work on things. Don't expect rapid updates. Anyway, just some exposition, but next one is going to be an interesting one.

Comments ( 13 )

Welcome back. Good work.

My name is Ripper Roo, and yes, I am from the Wumpa Islands much as Crash is.

Incorrect.
Ripper Roo is from the N' Sanity Isles. More specifically, the Temple Island of the N' Sanity Isles.

“A very volatile substance,” Aku Aku said. “The slightest wrong touch and it violently explodes.”

He forgot to mention that it's short for nitro-glycerine.

8121330
Never knew that was the actual name. In most of the manuals they're referred to as Wumpa islands. I'll fix it when I get to a computer; my phone does not facilitate editing.

8122000 Crash was the first game I ever played. There's very little I don't know about it.

The N' Sanity Isles consist of four main islands.
N' Sanity Island, where Crash washed up on N' Sanity Beach immediately after escaping Cortex after his creation, and is also home to Papu-Papu and the Tribe.

Temple Island is composed of rivers, waterfalls and crumbling ruins from an age long past, but largely implied to be from the Ancients that Aku-Aku occasionally refers to.

Misty Island or Mysterious Island (it's been called both) consists of more ruins, volcanic caves and a dilapidated wooden bridge shrouded in a perpetual mist. It's also home to Koala Kong, who turned to work for Dr N. Brio after Cortex made Tiny.

Forbidden Island, Cortex Island or Mechanical Island is home to The original base and laboratory of Dr Neo Periwinkle Cortex, and is the natural home to Pinstripe Possum (Ringtail Possum, not Opossum) Of course, after Cortex's first defeat at the hands of Crash, his old lab fell into disrepair and most of his mutated or cybernetically enhanced creations ended up loose and roamed free across all the other islands, most of them too feral for Cortex to control, but the few working robots still on the island would likely still follow his orders.

Welcome back.^^

Another swell chapter man, nicely done! And its good to see this still going, heheh.

Ahhh Nitro... ffs that stuff hurts D:

Nice job

I can't wait for the N'sane Trilogy release

One question from me and its very important; Will crash do his famous Victory Dance? 3:40 is my favorite.

8121330

The name for all three islands is canonically Wumpa Islands though.

8122073
I thought Pinstripe was a Potoroo.

8311845
H e was.

I don't know why I though he was a possum when I posted that comment, when I KNOW his name is Pinstripelli Potorotto.

Login or register to comment