• Published 31st Dec 2016
  • 718 Views, 20 Comments

Family (A Hearth's Warming Story) - Script Singer



An orphan wants to have a family to love and care for him.

  • ...
 20
 718

(1) Friend?

I sat alone in my dark room, watching some of the other adult ponies picking out the other foals. The normal foals. When the adults look at me they look at me and turn away fast, pretending they don't see me. That is the way all ponies always look at me and I hate it. I know it's me they see, because of the look they have in their eyes when they turn away.

I wanted to know my real parents, but they didn't love me, so they threw me out. I can't even remember their faces, I mean, I was just a foal...

Somepony had found me and just dropped me off at the orphanage, leaving me in the care of the workers on Hearth's Warming Eve. That day is one of the most hated days in my life. It's just a painful reminder that my family didn't want me, that they didn't love me. I had lived at the orphanage for almost 12 years now. Every Hearth's Warming Eve, they open the orphanage for the whole day for ponies to come adopt foals, but I am the only one who is never chosen. No pony will ever want or love me. They close the orphanage for the whole day on Hearth's Warming Day so ponies can be with their families and friends.

All the other ponies in the orphanage share rooms, but I have one all to myself. I have other beds open, but I'm the only one in here. No pony wants to be in the same room with me or even be near me because of what I look like.

When I try to eat at the table, the others move to the very end of the table. When I try to walk up to somepony to play with them, they run away screaming, dropping anything in their hooves, leaving me staring at the floor, my ears flopped back tears streaming down my cheeks.

I'm different than other ponies. Very different. I mean, just look at me!

I have bat wings and three horns! (one that is crooked...) I'm a monster...

I just want to look... normal, be normal.....

I often sit in my room with the lights off or hide in the garden. The workers normally come and check on me but I always demand that they leave me alone.

And this is how my story begins.

-----

I stared at my wall in my room when one of the workers came in and told me to come out of my room for once and come into the main room. I walked out of my room and when I reached the main room I looked up from the ground.

I saw multiple adult ponies ready to choose a lucky filly or colt and take home. After only a moment, I hid in a corner. It was obvious that no pony would choose me.

As usual, everypony was picked but me, but at that point I expected that to happen. I walked to my room and just laid on my bed. As I tried to drift off to sleep, unwanted thoughts came to my mind. Try as a may, I couldn't clear my mind of the thoughts and feelings of being unwanted and so I came to the decision to go outside to clear my head.

I opened my window and snuck out, hid myself in a bush and just cried. Usually, I don't cry like this unless it's Hearth's Warming Eve, but I guess that since I had felt so much pain for the almost 12 years, I felt like I had to cry. It's how I coped with this cruel world, along with my horrible life.

I heard something in the bushes sounding like a cry of pain. I turned my head to see what it was and foundma filly with a purple and white swirly mane, wearing a propeller hat, a few leaves and twigs in her mane. She opened her eyes. My jaw dropped open. Her eyes were... were...

Swirls...

An envelope magically poofed in front of her and she opened it.

"I thought he said the garden at the Orphanage!" she groaned.

The envelope poofed away, startling me slightly. When I jumped, a twig poked me in the side, causing me to let out a soft "ouch".

The filly turned her head, looking at me. She smiled before saying "Hey."

I just stood there in the bush like a dumb fool.

"What's your name?"

I tried to find the right words to say. This was my chance to actually make a friend. I gulped.

"Stripes," I said. "Astar Stripes."

The filly walked up to me, holding out her hoof.

"I'm Screwball."

I hesitated for a moment, wondering if I should take her hoof or not. I decided to go ahead and shake.

She looked at my horns, then my crooked horn, and my bat like wings.

"You look weird." she told me.

"Uh..."

"I like you!" she smiled at me.

"Wait... what? Why?" I asked, dumbfounded that I had even heard those words.

"Because, I'm weird too!”

Out of nowhere, a glass of chocolate milk appeared. She slurped it down.

"You wanna be friends?"

"F-friends...?" I stuttered. Was this really happening?

"Yeah. Don't you have any friends?"

I hung my head. "No..." I muttered. "No pony wants to be my friend."

"Well, I want to."

A smile grew on my face as I looked back up at her.

Another envelope poofed in front of her. She let out another groan.

"Sorry, but I gotta go and meet up with my parents. I'll see you later?"

I nodded my head. "I'm always here."

"Meet me here tomorrow."

She poofed herself away. I decided to go ahead and go back to my room. It was getting late so I was going to try and get some sleep.

I laid myself onto my pillow, the memory giving me new thoughts, but no longer unwanted.

I have a friend...

Author's Note:

Okay, so this still needs to be edited I just wanted to post it!!!! Super excited@@@@
New note: 12-31-16. This was posted Christmas eve, but submited Christmas eve, but accepted and posted to the page on 12-30-16. I have added the edit 12-31-16. There might be a few errors with the edits.