• Published 25th Dec 2016
  • 4,329 Views, 51 Comments

Behind the Laughter: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - Smashology



This is the story they never wanted to tell you. This is the story about your favorite characters that has been kept secret. This is the story... behind the laughter.

  • ...
12
 51
 4,329

New Blood, New Dawn (Season 1)

Success. Fame. Cider. Desserts.

Behind the Laughter

Money. Drugs. Ponies. Cupcakes.

Behind the Laughter

Our story began here in the Wonderbolt Academy, 2008. Located near Cloudsdale, it was once the headquarters of the Wonderbolts, and among them was a cadet simply known as Prism Wing.

Although I kept a firm grasp on all Equestrian weather, my true passion came from attending flight shows and choreographing flight routines. I wanted their eyes to focus on me because I wanted to research famous flyers, study highly advanced flying maneuvers and find new candidates for the team. After about three years of studies I made it. Once I got in, I discovered that it wasn’t what I expected. I spent a lot of my time doing paperwork and, somehow I felt trapped in a monotone environment. I only remember one happy moment there and ironically, it happened when I was asleep.

Recreation

An office cubicles group. Prism Wing has fallen asleep on her desk, more specifically, her keyboard. She feels something rubbing her shoulder. She wakes up confused, in front of her is a yellow pegasus wearing a sergeant uniform and purple shades, glaring at her. The pony holds the folder in her hooves.

Can you file these, please?

Um... Yeah.

Prism Wing takes the files. Spitfire is about to leave when Prism Wing interrupts her.

Hey!

Spitfire turns around to her.

Wouldn’t it be funny if one of these files was a pony and started to sing? Here, let me show you.

Prism Wing opens the folder and finds a pink letter. She takes it and shakes it up, she improves a song.

‘Cause I love to see you smile, smile, smile! Yes I do! It fills my heart with sunshine all the while! Yes it does!♪

The rest of the workers tilt their heads once they hear the song.

Come on everypony smile, smile, smile! Fill my heart up with sunshine, sunshine! All I really need’s a smile, smile, smile! From these happy friends of mine!♪

Spitfire is unimpressed.

You know, it’s kind of like a song–

No.

The entire office keeps silence, Prism Wing is sad.

That sounds really boring. Now get back to work. And that goes FOR everybody.

Prism Wing sighs.

...Yes, ma’am.


That was almost every single day of my life since I joined them.

It says in your records that you were constantly bored in training. This makes me question if you really wanted to be a Wonderbolt originally.

Yes, but not much on the flying department. You see, many question why I don’t compete in flying shows, and while I tell them I’m simply not interested, secretly my desire to fly is tethered by my anxiety. Besides, I’d much prefer to watch from the sidelines, knowing that at least some of my influence guides those flyers to glory. After you achieve one dream, something else pops up and in my case, it was creating a kids show.

Why?

It happened that television programs had a crisis back then, especially kids shows. Everyone thought it were mindless entertainment, girls TV shows in particular were repetitive and devoid of everything like characters, lessons or even a decent plot. I wanted to do the opposite. I shared this idea with some of my coworkers but they didn’t support me and some of them even laughed at it all. I surmised that reception was only in the headquarters so I went to a karaoke bar.

But the karaoke bar wasn’t exactly better. The ponies booed at her and she left the place covered in all kinds of food. She thought her dreams will never come true... until a couple of ponies approached her outside the bar. These were the ponies who changed everything, the sisters Futas Le Rotcerid and Lunare Le Recudorp.

Those lyrics, that enthusiasm. That was beautiful. My sister and I were pleased by that given passion.

We were searching for our next big hit. That karaoke bar was our next destination. Suddenly we found a mare trying to achieve a dream by creating a kids show. She had the idea, we had the money and... you can guess what happened next.

After some agreements and drawings, they traveled throughout the entire world trying to show their sketches to the major networks, but they couldn’t get past the entrances.

Fortunately, I remembered having a network connection. The janitor of the Wonderbolt Academy was also president of DHX.

DHX Media was then a low-rated company, struggling to remain in the business. It wasn’t until 2009 that the company was able to get a contract with Hasbro, which back then, was a monster, thanks to the “Transformers” movies. But after some discussions, laughs, rants and, why not, some bullets shot, they gave green light to an almost forgotten project called “My Little Pony”. The photographer and journalist Photo Finish did an investigation about the case.

”My Little Pony” hadn’t aged vell as a franchise over ze years. Yes, it vas successful in ze 80’s but fads come in and come out. In fact ze previous generation, ze so-called ‘Gen 3’, vas cancelled in order to focus on other projects. And if ve add the Writers Guild that vas taking place back then... you can deduce it were dark times. Suddenly, zis random guy appeared and proposed a project for ze death franchise and Hasbro accepted, but ze truth vas that ze company didn’t thought it vould succeed, probably they vere busy counting ze earnings from ze “Transformers” movies. Ze executives never had faith in ze project.

They finally had their hoof in the door. For Prism Wing, Futas and Lunare, it was an all-or-nothing venture. The first step was to have a cast, so they did an audition to find the main stars of their project which was simply titled “Friendship is Magic.”

Around three thousand candidates of all species answered our call. That was very surprising for our expectations, even though we only wanted ponies for the show.

But among the reunited candidates the competition was intense.

By decision of both sisters, Prism Wing herself was added since the beginning to the main cast. But... who would be the ponies fortunate enough to accompany her in this big dream?

We needed ponies who could accomplish the types of characters we were looking for. Not necessarily actors but ponies who could play those roles. Those roles were known as ‘book pony’, ‘shy pony’, ‘farmer pony’, ‘party pony’, ‘flying pony’ and ‘fashion pony.’ The sisters gave me the main role, which was ‘book pony’, but I accepted with the only condition of choosing the rest of the main cast.

As the auditions went on, the word of mouth had an effect and by consequence the selection process went from lasting a few days or weeks, to lasting three months. The selected ponies couldn’t be more different and unexpected.

Among the crowd was one of my old friends Cottontail. Since the moment she auditioned, I knew she was going to be part of this project.

Being reunited with Prism Wing after so many years was so exciting! I think I’m going to squeal right now!

That’s a surprise for me. Where did you meet her?

At flight camp in Cloudsdale twelve years ago.

And why did you accept, besides reuniting with an old friend?

Well, you can say I’m a performer myself. I spend a lot of time making costumes as well as stuffed animals that I’ll give out to kids and everyone randomly. I work every day at parties painting animal faces on ponies and playing as a mascot somewhere, so considering how outgoing and confident I really am, playing a timid character back then was an interesting experience that I was willing to offer myself to this new challenge every single day.... except on Tuesdays though. Tuesday’s Panda day. And one day I’ll become one.

A couple of candidates impressed us. A white unicorn, named Ivory, and an orange earth pony, called Sparkling Cider, auditioned at the same time and we accepted them since we though both could work out better as a compliment. Ivory was kind of brash and direct in her mannerisms, but was very charming around others, while Sparkling Cider was much less rowdy and more of a delicate nature.

We stepped into each other by accident, but Ah want to guess it was a work of destiny. Ah’m a coal miner who routinely excavates only the finest minerals in all Equestria. Ah love what Ah do because Ah do mah best.

I’m very passionate about what I do and admire the beauty in seemingly simplistic things. I’m a brand designer, practically I have my own line of health care products, and produce a line of top quality cider that’s the best-selling among sophisticates.

So you say you’ve done everything together since the beginning?

...Yeah, pretty much.

But it wasn’t easy for us. To prepare for our roles we had to switch personalities with each other, learning how the other spoke and let our manes grow! It was a very difficult process, though imitating her southern accent is not as hard as many seem to believe.

A shy pony come to us in the middle of the presentations. Her name was Ink Blot. She was great and all, but here was the thing: she casted for the ‘shy pony’ role and we already had our shy pony, so we had to do something with her because she really wanted to be with us. In the end we decided to give her the funny one, mainly to help her have more confidence in herself.

I’m generally someone who secretly wants to aspire to be more bright and bubbly, but isn’t cut out for it. I like to watch the world and then put it all on paper in my own vision, one with more laughs and silly faces. I love cartoon drawings and I fill my books with comics and caricatures of everyone and everything I see. I have a sense of humor that I’m not comfortable letting out but it is there, just more subtle. To this day, I appreciate the help they were giving me back then. Now I’ll often be the one to make a little quip when you least expect it and get a chuckle out of you.

Everything was perfect, everything was going according to plan... and then she appeared.

A popular saying says “in every family there’s a black sheep”, and in this family the sheep had arrived at the very last day of audition.

Her name vas Stardust Nova and she had been expelled from each group and audition in vich she had been. They said her narcissism vas like a plague that infected every crop. But she also had ze power to make an entire nation surrender at her hooves.

Both Futas and Lunare were amazed by her, and despite Prism Wing’s opposition, she was accepted into the show. But the last straw for the pegasus came when both sisters gave this sheep the main role since she had the charisma to lead the production, leaving Prism Wing with the ‘flying pony’ role. This sheep was wearing purple.

I was gifted at a young age, but everyone saw me wrong. They said I was arrogant and constantly putting myself in life and death situations. I set out to go do something that would PROVE that I was good enough. And this was the ultimate challenge. I mean, a monster hunter with mastery in all things magic, what more could you ask for?

How would you describe her?

Brash and at times full of herself. At least, hopefully changing once she finally can make some proper friends.

Was this because Stardust dumped you from the main role?

Partially, but if I was hoping for something, it was a change for her. Hopefully it happened, so she can make some friends.

In a twist of the story, a different member auditioned for the cast. Not only was this different because it was a male, but also because he was from a species defined by manliness: a dragon. The sisters were hesitant at first, but when they thought about it, it was clear for them that having a different variant to the equation could make the results better for them. He was simply known as Spyke... with a “Y.”

Was it weird to have a male dragon auditioning for a girls-oriented TV-show? ...Yes, but I can say that I wanted to make a difference in this cast. The only downside to this was having no-name-change whatsoever for the role. I mean, the rest of them could choose how their character’s name was going to be, they even applied this rule for some of the supporting actors! Why they only change one letter to mine? Why?!

After months and months of exhausting auditions, the main cast was completed. But what about the supporting cast?

Some of the potential candidates impressed us, to the point of needing them in the show. But we had to use them in a secondary role to give more variety to the show.

Among the ponies who made it into the cast but not enough for a main role was Bellatrix Monolaul.

I was kind of nervous because three thousand ponies went there and, let’s be honest, I’m not exactly the most attractive mare in the world, especially when you auditioned for the ‘book pony’ role.

But against all odds you made it, right? That’s an achievement.

Yes... One step at a time.

You look beautiful smiling, you should do it more often.

Hasbro forced us to hire medical staff... you know, for ‘safety and security.’ We took the first one that appeared on the yellow pages, she was called... ‘Redheart.’

They sent me a patient transfer memo mentioning the plans they had for this kids show. I accepted just for the little performers. I’m known for being intimidating for my patients but it’s like I always said, ‘if your insanity is not related to drugs or booze... then I am your nurse.’

Since Friendship is Magic was targeted for little kids, Prism Wing wanted to cast some children for some episodes. This was mainly to prevent monotony in the show and add variety.

Prism Wing’s plan for “Friendship is Magic” was creating a show for children that both kids and their parents could watch together, so for that point of view it made sense casting children.

Some casted members already took advantage of the situation and brought their own family members to the auditions. Despite Prism Wing’s protests, Lunare and Futas agreed on adding them. These cast members were Ivory and Sparkling Cider.

I know by experience that most kids aren’t familiar with a foreign environment so by adding our own little sisters to the cast could help them to develop in there, additionally it would help the cast to get into a more familiar group.

Both Apple Spritz and Marble were as excited as us when we let them know the big news.

Once upon a time I had all of Manehattan to myself to do whatever I wanted. Now I had my own private slaves to do whatever I wanted!

Don’t take her seriously, she’s kiddin’. She has been the troublemaker since the first day. Ah, on the other hoof, am more stern and cautious, always seekin’ for the noble path of mah sister’s acknowledgement.

The rest of the children were selected. Redheart made sure they were prepared for the hard training. Most of them remained for background appearances but the sisters were satisfied with the results. To complete the rest of the children cast, they selected a pegasus to balance out the roster since they already had an earth pony and a unicorn. She was Plume.

I was more neutral towards my partners. While Spritz had a wheel-and-deal attitude, Marble had good natured ethics. Meanwhile I was just there most of the time, enjoying how they tried to destroy each other.

As for supporting roles, the most notorious among the chosen ones were Diamond Dazzle and Tin Shot.

My mother used to love “My Little Pony” when she was little, and she gave that hobby to me in some way. So participating in this new project was an honor for her.

It was arguably our first time inside a show instead of watching it so... you can say we nailed it, especially since we didn’t have our cutie marks back then. Playing the bad girls was a funny experience.

That’s the spirit!

And... Who are you?

I’m Mango Dash... I appear in the background of some episodes and I’m Plume’s body double for some action stunts... I’ll go crying to a corner.

By the end of 2009 and the beginning/middle of 2010 the cast was completed. It was time to write the stories and start to film.

They balanced out ze number of appearances for every performer. They agreed on having three episodes per character and ze main focus vas going to be ze many applications of friendship in different situations and circumstances.

They got reunited every morning and night to discuss the ideas they got and shared screenplays with each other, making sure what could work and what couldn’t. Most of the cast contributed with concepts and ideas and they only began to film when the screenplay was perfect for them.

The stories were based on some of our own personal experiences and some of the characters we later addressed were based on ponies we’ve known over our lives. It was curious seeing how each of us had been dealing with life.

It was evident since the beginning not everyone was getting along with each other. Some of them bear a grudge against Stardust.

She demanded to appear in every single episode just because ‘she was the main character.’ And unfortunately for us not only Futas and Lunare loved her but also Hasbro’s executives... and you can guess which group was supported.

But those glares didn’t prevent some of them having fun with the working material.

The funniest stuff came right out of real life. I can remember one of those moments, it was when I and Prism Wing were watching TV for ideas. And then, it came.

Recreation

Prism Wing and Cottontail are on a leather couch watching TV. Both have a notebook and a pencil, Prism Wing uses the remote control to change channels. She stops right on one transmitting a commercial.

20% juice? More like 20% cooler!

Cottontail writes the catchphrase on her notebook, Prism Wing remains speechless. When she finishes Cottontail turns her head to her right, just to see her friend stationary. She waves her hoof in front of her face. Prism Wing reacts and her face elevated surprise.


And that’s how a juice commercial became one of our most beloved running gags.

All the episodes had variety, from a labeled Sonic Rainboom to the first reunion of the Cutie Mark Crusaders, from transforming Stardust into stone.

Sweet, sweet revenge.

To a mental breakdown that wasn’t originally in the script.

That was an accident, I swear.

But one episode caught the attention of the main cast: one named “Winter Wrap Up.” All because of a littleness.

A song?!

None of us expected that, but in the wrong mood. Nobody told us there was going to be songs in the show.

Suddenly, every single one of us had to take a course on vocals and singin’.

Three days per week may not sound terrible... unless you have the teachers we had.

The yellow pages came to the rescue once more, first was Redheart, an intimidating nurse. And now two of the greatest musicians of all time, both ironically coming from two extremes, had joined the cast.

So you can say we’ve got the best of both worlds! Eh... Eh…

That was a really, really bad joke.

Their names were Vinyl Scratch, better known in the media as DJ PON-3, and the classical cellist Octavia Melody.

Yeah, I’ve seen all the overnight sensations: Working Hard, Hardly Working, Bric a Brac and Break a Brick. All of them had experience but this show didn’t. If they were going to blow them all away, we knew we had to wind this up before they sat on the shelf.

These were newbies from our perspective and more than once they tried to put one against the other.

After all, we were considered rivals in the media.

But it was a nice experience teaching these ponies how to perform in front of a camera. And in the end, this experience helped us saw we were not very different from each other.

None of us had ever sung before, but Miss Melody and DJ PON-3 believed in us.

Recreation

A recording studio, both Octavia and Vinyl are using headphones and are sit in front of a mixing board. The Mane 6 are in the recording booth. Vinyl and Octavia set up the correct configurations and give the signs. The Mane 6 start singing.

Octavia and Vinyl give the signs and stop recording. They open the mics.

Girls…

The Mane 6 remain silent.

We’re done.

They scream excitedly.


After a hard and exhausting production, “Friendship is Magic” was over and the cast celebrated. But Hasbro’s executives were still doubtful about the project.

Honestly I cannot blame them. I mean, ven your primary source of income is a movie franchise about robots blowing up, do you really have any confidence on a project based on a dead franchise such as zis one?

Hasbro ordered twenty six episodes for a sole season. But how would the public respond? On October 10th, 2010 the answer was given.

***

When we come back.

I just wanted to be generous and kind to our companions... I never expected to affect the show like this.

When Behind the Laughter continues.

Author's Note:

As you could see, this chapter focus more on the origins of series rather than the series itself. And with each season the main focus will be different. Some characters will be used for one episode, others for two and this is not only going to cover the show, but also some themes and topics that have ocurred within its lifespan, like the community itself.

This project is expected to be finished in a year and, yes, it will cover all seasons of the show (including the upcoming season 7 and the movie), so please stay tune. Hope you all enjoyed this and are interested in reading the rest of the chapters as they come out! Please, like, fave, and comment!