• Published 27th Dec 2016
  • 1,325 Views, 28 Comments

The Life and Adventures Of A Necromancer - MidnightMadness



Necromancy is the banned magic revolving around the raising of the dead itself and has been condemned for over two thousand years. But when a small filly makes a breakthrough which allows the reanimation of the body and soul then big problems arise.

  • ...
1
 28
 1,325

Προοπτική

Preparation is the name of the game,
I had always juggled the possibility that someone would come looking for me, a lack of a body tends to leave possibilities open.
The key issue is why they are looking for me.
I can picture three possibilities, my parents might have opened an investigation again, from what I could remember off of the newspaper I was laying on at the time that was mortified that the search had been called off which leaves the possibility open that they haven't given up.

The second possibility is that they might be looking for my notes after I came up with the Horn Multimeter, the Magical Society of Medicinal Arts hounded after everything I did. Had to get several restraining orders to get them to stop bothering me on the way to school, apparently, they were sure that I had numerous fortune making tools scribbled away in my notebook and after I had made a deal with a charity to ensure that the multimeter could be made cheaply they were scared what I would do next. I absolutely hated them, promising me they would make me millions by ramping the prices of my stuff.

The third, and most worrying, the possibility is the chance that they've discovered the resurrections.
I know that they know what I look like, not much I could have done there, and I also know that they don't appear to know about some of my disguises but what else do they know? Have they found anything? And who is it?

Attempting to talk to Lord Sunfeather didn't yield much, apparently, his contact had only managed to get a few whispers. It was only mentioned to Sunfeather as they had thought it was interesting, apparently, my case had wedged a place in the thoughts of the Cantelotians.

I can't go to Canterlot to check it out either, I avoid the place like a plague… Which now thinking about it is a bad phrase considering my profession but I digress. The risk of getting caught is way too high with how many I treated when I was younger, why did I have to be so efficient?

Looking at it, I need to assume all scenarios. All three lay the goal for my future, not getting caught.

Now then, with all that considered I have to plan my next steps carefully, I look down the country road that the carriage is bringing me down cautiously before bringing a quill and a tattered diary and start planning.


After a few hours, I close my book and place it back into my saddlebag while drawing my hood up.
I step out of the carriage turning to the pony drawing the kart and offer a stack of bits to him, I always make sure to offer a generous tip ponies generally keep a tight lip for those that pay more, and I make my way to the apartment door.
Hesitating for a moment, I peer into the window to the side and notice the papers I'd left on the table were still there, so I carefully turn the doorknob and slip into the apartment.
Noticing a stack of newspapers at my feet, I step over them and walk around the apartment trying to manually turn on the lanterns to attempt to alleviate my nerves.

Pulling my diary out of my saddle-bags with my hoof, I levitate my saddlebags over to one of the hooks on the wall and sit down on the settee. Placing my diary on the coffee table and flipping the page to my most recent entry, I concentrate on the desk to my right and draw my ink, quill, parchment and letters over with a bit of difficulty, trying to cast levitate on multiple things is hard for me to even when I am feeling stressed, curse you genetics and your creation of limited mana pools.
I set to focus on the parchment in front of me and using my diary as a reference, I write several letters to some correspondence I knew in the right places, I find that even the most loyal of positions give leeway when love ones are involved…
Celestia, I'm really starting to feel like a villain, I wish that Equestria's law system wasn't so antiquated, If they could read the spell then they'll understand there are no malicious elements about it, I even left a copy when I left. Not complete mind you, it was constructed using Lovelace's Circular constructor.

A genius in her own right, Lovelace was one of the greatest magicians of all time yet one of the most hidden. One of the rare times where Harmony wasn't the primary motivator in Equestria, it was a time where the country was still being settled and the princesses hadn't graced us with their divine presence and duelling was still an act.
Duelling unicorns, presences that ruled Equestria for two decades, the majors were part of this group: Starswirl, Billy the Foal, Bologna, Horatius and of course Lovelace.

Lovelace was considered to be on the side of Villainy, to be fair all of them were aside from Starswirl were his crew kept the dream of Equestria alive, but Lovelace was unique in her spells. While Starswirl had come up with a library of spells about fifty per cent were a nightmare to learn due to the concept of different feelings being described in his notes, Lovelace had come up with the concept of a spell constructor.

The principle was this, an interconnected series of rings all having tiny spells and in theory, you picture a blank ring in your mind, then you could start taking sections from the highest ring in Lovelace's layout, taking different parts from every section would lead to this complex spell and because you were working with minimal elements some complex but efficient spells could be made.

Lovelace actually caused issues for Starswirl, she could cast so many high-level spells so quickly that he actually lost two battles, nearly lost his life in one of them, and actually required himself and five other ponies to take her down, and very amusingly create the mountain of Canterlot.
Well, Lovelace finally conceded to the side of good afterwards and started teaching Starswirl her methods, to the happiness of all academics everywhere, and the Constructor became a mainstay for magic.

There is a minor issue with the thing.

It's bloody complicated in reality, the first few rings are easy to construct due to the lack of evidence but if you make a mistake anywhere, it usually ends in disaster.

A twelve-year-old that primarily worked on medicine? Are you having a laugh? I wrote the bloody thing down and even then it took me three weeks to work out if it would do the right thing. When I cast the spell on my brother, you can bet I was shocked to see the thing work.
I had rushed to scribble out a copy, but I left out two rings around the outside, one to make sure they couldn't counteract it immediately and more majorly I thought they could work it out using my work as a start but when I was trying to hear about the incident through word of mouth no evidence of the documents existed.

Maybe they were deemed to be dangerous to even know about but there's not much I can do about it now.


I turn my attention back to the letters as I lick the edges to seal them, I always weirdly like the taste of the glue for some reason, and after I finish sealing them I slide them into my saddlebags.

Might be a bit paranoid for me to do this, I suppose, but it's a hard habit to kick. When you've spent the majority of your life attempting to stay hidden, you start to fit into some patterns.

Need to buy some food? Attempt to switch stores regularly and if you need to go to the same one, change something like your hair or your accent.

Need to send a letter? Either use a discrete courier or even better, send letters from different post offices.

And if you need something hidden? Get someone to hide it for you, especially if they know where everypony is looking.

Right, well with all of that business handled, onto other matters.

The annoying thing with dealing with opportunities like Sunfeather is time, with personal stuff like that I have to resurrect and also deal with the treatment and to be perfectly honest… It's a waste of my time.

I will continue to do it, the asset of Sunfeather is too great for me to squander, but the best use of my time would be to deal with the underlying condition of the patient, resurrect them and then leave a basic plan with the local doctors for further treatment, even the worst doctors can understand those.

Usually, I attempt to offer more medicinal options unless the dire situation calls for magic, magic can heal but there are flaws with healing people with it, its only good at replicating cells and replacing the damaged ones. But what happens if the cells had been created poorly? If a single cancerous is targeted then you could be relayering some poor sod's entire system with cancer and effectively dooming them to an even worse fate then before.

The doctors of Equestria really need a reform, while there are hospitals around the country they are too sparse. A depressingly amount of cases I work on are caused by these professionals that manage to get doctorates by under-funded universities and settle in towns relying on the town's desperation for assistance.

But that's beside the point, basically what I'm saying is I have work to do. Everything dies and usually in a rapid case, and the best place to find out that type of information, if not through the grapevine, is in the newspapers.

I had to go and pick one up sadly but to be honest, I'll wait for a bit, I really need to start on that changeling conversion formula, from what I had briefly read in the letter a lot of the chemicals had been derived from Changling goos and chemicals created in other processes so in that circumstance I was slightly stumped but they had mentioned that the goos had usually had been harvested from various Fauna and flora from around the nest.

That I could work with, I'm a lot better at diagnosing a disease than bioengineering but I could still, in theory, come up with something. A lot of the plants they mentioned in the letter I could probably work out, I knew a Zebra out in Ponyville that I'd worked with before that was pretty good with plants. From the looks of it, there were some hidden plants that the colony cultivated themselves, I wonder if I could sympathise something similar using other plants, I had done something similar in a prior case.

It was worth considering but it was going to take an age to set up, I needed access to a lab, to begin with.

I looked at the list of stuff I need to do in my diary, and sigh, it was days like this I missed being at home, I could always bring my ideas to mum and dad at dinner and we'd talk about the effects it would have on different nervous systems and the latest medicines with the potential side effects. And showing brother the various ideas I'd had through the day, I remember once making him a minor speed enhancer before he went out and played hoofball apparently the teachers had thought he was an Olympic athlete in the making.

I wish I knew where he was, I couldn't bring him with me he was too scared, I left him behind on my bed telling him to wait for mummy and daddy but since then I haven't heard anything about him. Someone I know in Canterlot told me that he was at neither at my mother or my father's house, so I suspect that he was taken somewhere but I've not been able to find out where.
I can only hope they are treating him well, but my worries are they still view him as dead and a puppet to my dastardly deeds.

Another thing for the pile to consider but first things first.

I need that newspaper.

Author's Note:

Blue is a very distracted pony...
Told you people I wasn't abandoning this XD
A lot of lore in this chapter but I did love the Lovelace character.
Based on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_Lovelace, the first programmer and an amazing mind.
I also felt that it would make sense that Equestria might have been bandit ridden, I mean who here hasn't had barb issues in Civ?
edit: Changed worse to worst for pointing that out

Comments ( 8 )

I love lore and technical stuff here. It makes Quiet Heart to believably be professional.

I will continue to do it, the asset of Sunfeather is too great for me to squander, but the best use of my time would be to deal with the underlying condition of the patient, resurrect them and then leave a basic plan with the local doctors for further treatment, even the worse doctors can understand those.

Worst?

I suspect that he was taken somewhere but I've not been able to find out where. I can only hope they are treating him well, but my worries are they still view him as dead and a puppet to my dastardly deeds.

That is quite sad, really. Hopefully she can convince Celestia to allow her more freedom to search for him should she be found.

10537832
I always miss something XD At least it wasn't my largest error

We can only hope that Celestia is gracious enough to allow her too, Blue isn't particularly the perfect pony.

10537861
Nobody really is perfect.

was not expecting my language to pop up like that cool! I ll give it a read!
Φιλοσοφία! Ο σωστός τρόπος ζωής!

10/10, would 10/10 again

I seriously questioned if I wanted to start reading a fic that hasn't been updated in almost a year but then I saw that it had multiple year-long gaps in its update schedule and the author was still active on the site so I gave it a shot.
No regrets.

It's an interesting setting with a clear set conflict and a likable main character.
However it suffers a bit from grammar and spelling errors here and there. Most notably double words in a sentence something which tends to happen when things get rewritten or rephrased.
In my opinion they are not overly present or too disruptive but they are noticeable. I have read far worse on this site. I will follow the fic and see where it goes.

Content wise I love it though. Blue is a good pony with a clear view of the world but still seems to find situations to have fun. Which is important for a healthy mind.
If her claim of the resurrected pony being fully themself is correct (and I have yet to see a reason to doubt her claim) than I feel like she has the moral high ground even over the princesses. Even if she ever got caught what are the princesses going to do with all the beings she has resurrected? Murder them all? That doesn't seem just. Let them live their second lives? Then it'll be hard to call what Blue did unjust.
You can hardly call everything that has ever been used for evil to be irredeemably evil. Otherwise both Discords chaos magic as well as Lunas moon magic would end up in that category, not to mention any kind of knife, spear or sword. Heck, I am sure there were unicorns that used telekinesis to strangle their enemies...
So if it ever came to a trial the question to be answered wouldn't be if Blue used necromancy but whether or not the resurrected are fully themself. At least that's what it should be in my opinion.
Oh, and teaching ponies like Applejack not to project crimes of millennia ago to ponies of today. The princesses (and I mean the old ones) are the only ponies who were alive back then and have possibly known the victims or perpetrators. I don't advocate not learning from the past, mind you, just keeping an open mind.
All that of course under the condition that Celestias claim "it's impossible to bring the soul back" is actually wrong and Blue isn't just deluding herself.

11024807
Thank you for the review, it really means a lot.
I do actually have an update nearing completion, some of the perspectives I have difficulty writing from so they take longer.
The way I imagine the perspective with the magic is compared to Luna's Moon Magic, which in theory did good in the past, and Discord's magic, which always had some potential for good. Necromancy really has only had negative stigmas tied to it.

Such a cool story, hope it's still being worked on :pinkiesad2:

Login or register to comment