• Published 6th Jun 2017
  • 2,002 Views, 37 Comments

Pyrophobia - VilkaTheWolf



I've woken up with a hangover to discover that everyone I know is gone, and I'm a dragon. (A Ponies After People Story)

  • ...
6
 37
 2,002

Chapter Two: And Then There Were Two

I drove with the Brisbane suburbia in my rear view mirror. On my way out I had scavenged various car parts that I could use if I was ever in need. It was late in the afternoon and I was feeling quite peckish. I started nibbling on the beef jerky I had found. I didn’t really know where I was going, I had no destination. I just drove on. I had to find signs of civilisation I guess.

My vision was blurry from the effects of the alcohol. I was driving in and out of the lines. I was lucky there were no cops on the road, or they would have busted me for sure. Something appeared before me on the road, though I couldn’t quite make it out. As I drove closer I realised it was some kind of small purple horse. It seemed to be screaming. I must be hallucinating, I thought. Horses don’t scream, and they certainly aren’t purple.

Oh shit, I realised, That’s no hallucination. I swerved to the right, my precious Ute scrapping up the side of the gutter. I quickly got out, or at least I tried to. My tail was stuck in the hole I had cut. After freeing myself I went over to the small purple horse I had narrowly avoided to see if it was okay. I was fairly certain it was a girl horse (It seemed to have elongated eyelashes), though my vision was still pretty blurry. She seemed to have collapsed from shock. I also noticed that she had blue hair as well. This day just kept getting stranger and stranger.

I carried her back to my Ute, putting her in the back with all the other things. I made sure she was in a secure position. I sobered up momentarily in order to take this strange purple horse to the nearest shelter I could find and wait for her to wake up.

***

I drove a little further south until we were in Loganholme, but the mysterious horse still hadn’t stirred. I searched for nearby shelter, my gaze drifting onto a house that had been left open, meaning I wouldn’t have to break in. As I made my way inside, with her in my arms, I noticed that this place wasn’t simply left open, rather, it had been completely ransacked by someone. Had the other houses been raided as well? Why was this the only one left open? Strange.

I placed the horse on a couch in the living room and waited for her to awaken. I went into the kitchen to see if there was anything of value left, but it had been completely cleaned out, so I went back to my Ute to grab some of the tinned food I had scavenged.

I found a few tins of fruit that she could probably eat, I grabbed the beef jerky and made my way back inside. I went to the living room to check on the pony, but she was gone. I went frantically looking for her, figuring that she couldn’t have gotten far in the short time I’d been outside.

There was a noise coming from the second story upstairs. It was probably her, but I couldn’t be sure, so I took the tinned food with me in case it was some animals, er, creatures making the noise instead. I made my way up the stairs and listened, noticing the bedroom door on the far right. I closed in, up to the door. There was silence now. Had she heard me? I pushed the door open, and there she was standing there with a pocketknife in her mouth pointed at me. When she looked at me further and realised what I was she screamed, like a girl. Then I was also screaming, also like a girl.

“D-d-dragon!” the pony screamed. It’s almost as if she’d never seen one before....oh...oh yeah.

“You can talk!?” Okay this was getting weird now. I’m a dragon. There’s a talking coloured pony in front of me. I’m getting more and more convinced that this is just one big fucked up lucid dream.

“You can too?” she asked, the fear in her voice slightly decreasing.

After we learned that both of us had once been human, she then told me her name was Triple Distilled.

“It’s my pony name,” she explained, “I never liked my human name much, so this is like a new start.”

“Why’s it so weird?” I asked, not really convinced. However, when I saw how depressed my question made her I corrected myself.

“I mean, how’d you come up with it?”

Triple didn’t really answer properly, she just said she was told that that’s how pony names work and I wasn’t in the mood to question further. She explained how apparently there was some kind of cataclysmic event that event a year ago that wiped all humans off the face of the earth and the few left behind were turned into ponies, and, apparently, dragons too. This was a lot to process, I’d have to think on it later.

My next question was about the picture on her butt, which looked like an old-fashioned liquor bottle with “XXX” labelled on the side.

“Oh, this?” she asked.

As if I could be referring to anything else. I bit my tongue and kept my quips to myself. Probably not the best way to make a first impression.

“It’s called a cutie mark.” She said quite proudly, not noticing how I cringed at the name. I didn’t think I would be calling it that.

“I’m Nat by the way,” I said, introducing myself. “I don't think I said that before.”

“That short for Natalie?”

“No…it’s Nathan, why would it be Natalie?” I asked, clearly not understanding what she was insinuating.

Triple just cleared her throat and gestured for me to look at myself. Once I did it was my turn to faint. I was a girl. A girl dragon. Why hadn’t I noticed this until now?

Yep.

Thud.

Author's Note:

ch 1 and 2 edited by abphinsom Thank you!!!

I was stuck on this chapter for sooo long. finally added some more to it, I don’t like leaving them under 1000 words...so now its just above.

Hope you like it, now maybe I can get a start on more chapters.

And Then There Were Two is a 1996 album by 2 Tymz.