• Published 1st Jan 2017
  • 7,625 Views, 162 Comments

Losing Sunlight - MarvelandPonder



When Princess Celestia comes down with a mysterious illness, Sunset takes it upon herself and Twilight to get to the bottom of it, which would be hard enough if she wasn't dating the other Twilight in secret.

  • ...
9
 162
 7,625

Chapter 4 - Sister of the Setting Sun

Maybe it was a trick of the light or some kind of cosmic joke, but this Moon Dancer pony was a dead-ringer for Twilight. The mane, the tail, even facial structure matched if Sunset squinted enough. Were they related? Long lost twins? Sunset wouldn’t put it past Twilight to clone herself somehow. The magic and theory were both decades away from anything as complex as full pony cloning, but Twilight could do it if anypony could.

The lab-coat hugging her body only made the comparison easier. As Moon Dancer led them into the Celestia’s School’s labs, Sunset was probably gaping like a goon. It wasn’t like she was ogling her. She only really noticed how shapely she was because that shape was so much like Twilight’s, especially the back-end.

Somepony turned up the sauna in her cheeks, so she held up a hoof as if to block the sun from her eyes, averting her monogamous gaze. “Uhh—” Her voiced bubbled, and she cleared her throat. Twilight raised an eyebrow beside her. “So, how did you say you two knew each other?”

“Oh, we didn’t,” Moon Dancer responded, leaving them by one of the black countertop islands to get supplies. The foggy glass cabinet took a little fiddling with to unlock with the tiny key she had. The clatter of the metal lock and sliding glass was all the answer Moon Dancer provided.

Twilight, in a well-fitting lab-coat of her own, came up beside Sunset. But not right beside her. At least a two-pony distance. Sunset couldn’t blame her. It felt like that was there no matter where she stood. “We went to school together. I, uh, wasn’t a very good friend back then to say the least, but we’ve reconnected since.”

That had her rubbing her shoulder, but Sunset only felt like more of a creep for wanting to close the space between them. Neither of them had done a lot of looking at the other today. Sunset really didn’t want to make things worse by adding physical contact into the mix. She wasn’t even sure how that would feel after last night. Maybe you’d rather hug Moon Dancer, you sleaze. At least she’s not basically your sister.

Speaking of, Moon Dancer brought a whole cupboard’s worth of lab supplies back with her and took the slide sample from Twilight’s magical grasp. She either didn’t notice or didn’t care about the ever-expanding personal bubbles between Twilight and Sunset because she took the space between them without hesitation. “Oh, yes. We’re much better friends now. It’s been too long since your last visit, Twilight.”

A nervous laugh squeezed out of her. “Yeah, it, uh, really has. You’re right. I’ve dropped the ball a bit, haven’t I? It’s all the princess work, you know. Being the Princess of Friendship makes it hard to find time for... friends.”

Even if Sunset couldn’t comfort her friend the proper way, she could at least redirect the conversation before Twilight beat herself to death. “Wait. You two met in school, but you’re still studying now?”

Moon Dancer fiddled with the microscope and slides Twilight provided. “I’m a researcher for the school, studying’s kinda what I do.” Crap, she’s a researcher and a redheaded Twilight. Thinking unsexy thoughts. “I haven’t really specialized, but I might still be able to help. I’ve dabbled in microbiology.”

“’Dabbled?’” Twilight scoffed. “The dissertation you wrote on cell biology was nationally ranked!”

She wasn’t just being complementary. Both Twilight and Sunset had a basic knowledge of germs and some of their behaviors, and Sunset might’ve even been able to connect some dots if she had enough time, but since Twilight knew somewhat of a microbiologist anyway it was a no-brainer. Twilight’s expertise in friendship saved the day once again.

Moon Dancer shrugged one shoulder, and scrunched up her face as she adjusted the microscope. “That? It was nothing. Just some theory I was playing around with. Now an illness that’s potentially thousands of years old reemerging in modern day? That’s something worth investigating.”

There was a rule Sunset and her girlfriend had. If they could agree on whether or not another girl was attractive, it was fine to look. Neither of them were the jealous type. Or, at least neither of them admitted they were the jealous type. Even if they were, they wouldn’t let it ruin a perfectly innocuous moment. But her Twilight wasn’t here, and it made her feel like a garbage bin on top of everything else.

Sunset bit her lip before she asked, “So, you think you’ll be able to help us identify it?” She took out a notebook and slid it towards Moon Dancer. “Princess Luna helped us translate some old writings on alicorn illnesses she could’ve contracted before she achieved immortality. It’s our best bet.”

Moon Dancer pressed her lips together. “I can’t guarantee anything. Trying to identify samples based on external symptoms takes some excessive extrapolation. I could analyze this until the sun burns out, and we still wouldn’t have a conclusive answer.”

“We’ll take whatever we can get,” Twilight told her, totally able to touch Moon Dancer’s shoulder without blushing. “Any lead is a good one.”

Moon Dancer shook her head. “If you say so. I’ll run a few tests to get the ball rolling. I’ll see what I can gather in a quick diagnostic analysis. If you two wouldn’t mind preparing some supplies for me here while I work, we could get this done lickety-split.”

Both of them stammered out broken syllables, but Moon Dancer was already shutting the door into the next room. Then it was just the two of them, alone in a lab with their thoughts and the hum of magical light fixtures.

Sunset didn’t even want to make a move toward the equipment now, but that was what magic was for. She set the Bunsen burner aflame and went for the beakers. “So,” she said, through an uneven sigh. “She wanted some sterilizing compounds and…”

Twilight scrunched her muzzle. “Sunset, can we talk?”

Finally looking over, Sunset nodded. “I was really hoping you’d ask.”

“I’ve given it some thought, and I don’t want this to affect our friendship. The whole you-dating-her thing is definitely going to take some getting used to for me, but she’s her own person. She might have my name, but she has her own life. And if she chooses to share it with you, I think I can support that. As long as I don’t think about it too hard, which is a skill I’ve been working on.”

“Yep,” Sunset said, rubbing her neck. “Being friends with Pinkie Pie will do that to you.”

“Yeah. Right.” Twilight smiled, blushing. She wiped the air clean like a chalkboard. “You can forget about the whole ‘sister’ thing, by the way. That was a little too sentimental, anyway. With everything going on, I shouldn’t have said anything.”

That hit Sunset worse than the awkward quiet from the last day and a half. She’d honestly expected being let off the hook like this would be a relief, but instead it was a punch in the face.

Twilight kept going on. “Everything’s been so stressful lately being a princess, and now with Celestia like this, it’s just… a lot to take in. I’m overwhelmed, I’ll admit it. But I shouldn’t have said what I said yesterday, it’s silly.” That Bunsen burner might as well have been burning Sunset, for all the difference it made. The smile Twilight gave her is what did it. “You’re my best friend, Sunset. I hope it can stay that way.”

There was a time when hearing those words from that voice was the most terrifying thing Sunset could think of. It’d taken everything she had to ask the other Twilight out, and she’d chickened out more times than she’d ever admitted, but when they kissed backstage at graduation before her valedictorian speech? It was like she was Atlas and hadn’t realized she had been carrying the world on her shoulders until it was lifted off.

But now hearing those words, even from a different Twilight, ate away at her. Like she’d just lost the chance at something irreplaceable. But she’d practiced how to smile through her teeth before, just in case. “Absolutely.”

Twilight came closer and put her hooves around her. Sunset hugged back with one hoof. After they pulled away, Twilight had her eyebrow raised and a gentleness to her voice. “Are you okay?”

Thankfully, she never had to answer the question as Moon Dancer swooped back in and made them both jump. “Uh, girls? I think there was a mix-up. You gave me the wrong samples.”

Sunset bristled. “What do you mean?”

“There’s nothing discernibly wrong with it. No germs, no mutations, no traces of magic sickness. Nothing. It’s technically a perfectly healthy sample.”

Their faces twisted, exchanging a look with the Bunsen burner still blowing behind them. Twilight shook her head. “That makes no sense. How could it be a perfectly healthy sample? Princess Celestia’s sick.”

“Not according to what can I see,” she said, shrugging. “Well, except…”

Sunset was glaring now. “Except what?”

“I’m not sure how to say this, but on a cellular level, there’s absolutely nothing there to cause it, but she’s experiencing cell death at an accelerating rate.”

“How is that not sick? Obviously there has to be something causing it.”

Moon Dancer trotted over as cautiously as she would up to a wild animal. “But there isn’t. At least, not anything I can detect. I can keep looking all you want, but at this rate, I can only imagine the kinds of internal shutdowns her immortality’s fighting off. If you really think she’s losing that ability…”

The double-doors into the lab burst open and slammed against the white-tiled walls. A young, teenage guard who barely fit into his armour pushed up his helmet past his eyes. “Princess Twilight, Sunset Shimmer! You’re being summoned to the royal chambers at once.”

Sunset’s heart plummeted through her chest. Twilight stepped forward. “Why? What happened?”

An overwhelming swell of nausea washed over Sunset. She couldn’t do this. She wasn’t ready. She didn’t even know what she’d do. She couldn’t hear this. An animal part of her urged her to teleport out of here. Go to Fillydelphia, get back to the castle and the mirror, wherever. Why wasn’t there any air in here?

“Princess Cadance needs to speak with you,” he said. “Princess Celestia has taken a turn for the worst.”


Before Twilight’s teleportation spell even settled, Sunset and Twilight hit the ground running. They rushed down the hall. Cadance helped to close the distance, and Twilight’s panicked voice was quickly muffled in her sister-in-law’s coat. “Cadance! Is she okay? What’s going on?”

Squeezing Twilight, Cadance pulled back and held a hoof up to her mouth. Her eyes directed them to the door, the bottom still dark even in the daytime. “Don’t panic. She’s still with us, and she’ll be able to talk to you, but she’s gotten worse.” She took the chance to hug Sunset, as well, before holding both of their shoulders. “I think you should each talk to her, one on one. Tell her anything you think you need to.”

The hallway blurred and Sunset’s cheeks started to drip with warmth as the moment wore on and on. She smeared her cheeks, and swallowed. “So… you think she might…?”

“We don’t know anything for sure,” she admitted, putting every bit of authority and power behind her kind magenta eyes. Sunset had never considered why Cadance was the Princess of Love until that moment, when all the rest of the world fell away. “We should be prepared for the possibility. If anything did happen, I want you two to be as ready as possible.”

“Thank you,” Twilight whispered, holding the hoof on her shoulder.

They both took a moment to collect themselves again even if the pieces seemed scattered on a global scale. Breathing with the guidance of her hoof, Twilight came to first after drying her eyes. She held her sister’s hooves in her own. “Take a break. I’ll stay with her for a while after we talk. You’ve done so much, please, go. You should take care of yourself, too.”

As if her head was weighted with bricks, Cadance nodded. “If you’re sure you can handle that right now. Come find me when you’re done.”

Cadance left the two of them alone at the door. Even the guards kept a respectful distance. Just them, the firelight, and Celestia’s cutie-mark carved in ancient wood.

Sunset’s breath shuddered when it came out. “You go first. The more time you wait, the more you’ll worry. I don’t mind.”

Sunset could see the objections and fears hiding just behind Twilight’s eyes. Thankfully, Twilight just nodded, her lips pressed into a line. “You’re right. I’ll come get you when I’m done?”

“Sounds good,” Sunset said, hooves crossing over her chest.

With a hoof visibly shaking, Twilight sighed and disappeared inside, closing the door behind her. The halls made the sound as big as a canon’s fire.

During the first few minutes, Sunset spent the time sitting up against the wall beside the torch to the left. The longer she waited, the more she thought, the more her stomach hurt. She even developed a bit of a shiver like she’d taken a dip in a frozen sea and couldn’t get her coat dry. She was glad Twilight went first for more selfish reasons than she’d like to admit but quickly found herself cursing how long Twilight was taking.

There once was a time when she was bad at public speaking. Out of nowhere, the memory of her fifth grade presentations came flooding back. She couldn’t control her hooves from shaking or keep her voice steady. At the time, it was the biggest deal in the world. Now she couldn’t even remember the topics. She just remembered Celestia sitting front and center, or in Sunset’s flat the night before, watching on with an unattainable calm.

A lot of different memories came back to her. Her sixth birthday that she spent eating birthday cake on Celestia’s lap on the throne. That time when she was twelve and Celestia caught her trying to smoke in the commons. When she first moved into the castle at five, and Celestia sung her to sleep so she wouldn't be homesick. When she was eight and Celestia let her keep a baby phoenix she found stranded on one of their diplomatic excursions to the south, frankly because Sunset wouldn’t take no for an answer.

Philomena. Sunset couldn’t wait around much longer anymore, anyway. With a look back at the door, she knew Twilight needed to take her time. She fired up a quick teleportation spell and was back before anypony knew she left, this time with Philomena on the crook of her hoof.

Cooing and petting the phoenix’s head gave Sunset something else to focus on. “Could you do me a really, really big favour? I know, I leave for years and then come asking for your help, but Celestia needs you. If something happens to her, I-I don’t want her to be alone when she’s… facing the end. Could you maybe stay here? Even just waiting outside the door, she might be sensitive to light.”

Philomena butt her head into Sunset’s, which stung, but she decided in a good way.

The empty hallway let her voice sound more important. Not bigger, but crisper. “Thanks, girl.”

The door squelched open, and Twilight came out smiling to the pony waiting inside. She dried her eyes as Sunset stood up. Philomena took the chance to hop over to the torch and squat like she was nesting. Which was good, because Twilight and Sunset needed to hold each other more.

Twilight rubbed her back. “Just speak from the heart. That’s all you can do.”

“Last time I said goodbye,” she said, voice quaking, “I wanted to and I didn’t regret it, but it nearly broke me.”

Sunset felt Twilight’s hooves get tighter around her neck and torso. “Be direct. And don’t hold anything back. You’ll know what to say.”

They let go sometime after that. Sunset couldn’t remember when, but logically it had to happen because she ended up in the darkened private chambers alone, listening to the fireplace crackle and the seething rattle coming from the bed with every rise and fall of the sheets.

The chambers were dimly lit. Sunset couldn’t remember a single time she’d ever seen the curtains drawn. Thanks to the fireplace, light and shadows tangoed in mad patterns all around the room. Watching the bed, Sunset felt a sickening lump form in the back of her throat.

The hooves beneath her moved on their own, and she found herself standing above a nearly unrecognizable shell. “Sunset,” the sick princess whined. The unicorn almost didn’t recognize the voice, just barely above too breathy to hear.

“I’m here.” Sunset put her hoof over her mentor’s and stroked. The room was so humid from the fire, but she was supernaturally cold.

Celestia had a smile on her face, wrinkling her eyes. Between breaths, she said, “That you are.”

Tears dripped onto the blanket. “I’m… I’m so sorry. I’m sorry I wasn’t around more.”

“No more apologies, Sunset,” she told her. “We’ve done that already, haven’t we?”

“I know,” Sunset said with the ghost of a laugh. “But I mean it. You deserved so much better from me.”

“Likewise from me. But I know your heart… and there’s nothing left to apologize for. Otherwise, if we keep holding onto the past, apologies are all we’ll ever say to each other.”

“Okay. Sure. No more apologizing,” Sunset conceded. The princess had a point, and if she procrastinated this any longer she’d regret it for as long as she lived. “Princess, I don’t know if I ever told you this, but I guess you know I’ve never been all that close with my mom. Even when I tried visiting home, we never got along. A lot of fights. I never really knew why that was. Maybe because my parents were always so shouty with each other? I don’t know. But, I’ve always kind of thought of you as like a mom.”

Celestia’s eyes wrinkled even further. Her hoof shook, gradually reaching toward the clouds. Sunset helped guide it, so that Celestia was holding her cheek. “It would be one of my greatest accomplishments to call you my daughter.”

They smiled at each other. “I love you, mom.” That felt weird for her to say out loud. The last pony she’d said that to hadn’t really deserved it. She’d have to get used to that for sure, but Sunset thought she liked the sound of it.

Her breathing made it hard, but she said back, “I love you, too, Sunset.”

From there, Sunset talked about a lot of things. Little things. What her friends were up to lately, shows she was watching, what a show was. None of it mattered, per se, but all of it was more important than anything in this life to her. But, one thing did matter, and as soon as she caught herself trying to skirt around it, Sunset stopped. “I’ve got a marefriend back in the other dimension. I’m in love with her, and if or when someday we get married, I want you to be there. I want you to give me away at my wedding.”

A millenia’s worth of sadness surfaced in her eyes. “Sunset…”

Sunset scowled, crying messily. “You’re going to be there, if I have anything to say about it, even if I have to drag you through the portal myself kicking and screaming. I can promise that much. But you have to promise if I hold up my side of things, you’ll be there.”

“Refusing to accept this will do you no favours.”

Sunset was already halfway to the door. “You waited for me. I’m not giving up on you now.”

When she came out, she essentially collapsed into Twilight. They cried into each other. The only other living pony who knew what it was like: her little sister.