• Published 22nd Dec 2016
  • 5,514 Views, 1,260 Comments

Perchance to Dream - David Silver



Linda settled for bed, only to awaken in the middle of a garden of statues of horses. She was one of them, only not so stone. When she eventually slumbered there, she returned home. Living two lives, can she make sense of it all? Fix it, or enjoy it?

  • ...
42
 1,260
 5,514

PreviousChapters Next
23 - Arcane Instruction

Starlight led the way into one of the many libraries that dominated the tower. "We'll start with the basics, glowing. You have to have that basic grip on your horn before you even consider moving on to real magic." She spun around suddenly. "Not that what you're doing isn't real magic, I mean." She raised a hoof to her face. "Sorry, I'm messing this up!"

I reached out a hoof to her shoulder. "Relax, Starlight. I'm here and listening. What do we do first?"

Starlight took a little breath before she nodded with regained confidence. "Right, you're here." She smiled at me. "Go ahead and have a seat here." She pointed to a small pad on the ground. She waited until I had done so, then gestured at her face. "Close your eyes and try to block out your body except for your breath, and your horn."

I closed my eyes and breathed softly. "How do I--"

"We're getting to that, promise." I couldn't see her, but I could imagine a nervous smile on Starlight's face. "Keep your eyes closed and wait."

There was a long moment of silence before I felt something touch my horn. I started and that got a yelp from Starlight. "Stay still," she hissed from just a bit above me. "Focus on the feeling. You have to learn how to feel your horn properly."

I tried to calm myself and relax. Starlight wasn't out to hurt me. I just had to relax, right? I still shivered just a little when I felt it again. It was warm and wet. Was that her magic? Wait, no... The longer I concentrated on it, the more I could feel more precisely what was going on. That texture... "Are you licking me?" My voice carried my surprise without disguise. "I am not a popsicle."

There was a soft clopping noise. "Very good. You've passed the first test. Now you're feeling with your horn. Try this." She brushed a hoof gently along my horn, and it went on and on just like that. She'd do something and expect me to identify it without peeking. I was starting to wonder if part of it was just her enjoying touching me. Still, nothing too untoward happened besides that lick.

Her voice lowered to just in front of me. "You passed that with flying colors. I hear some students can flounder in the tactile stage for weeks. Now don't get a swollen head, many others move on just as fast as you are. It varies from unicorn to unicorn."

I opened my eyes to see her smiling face. "Is that it then for lesson one?"

She shook her head. "Well, no, it could have been, but since you've passed that so quickly, why not push forward?"

I didn't feel tired, so I nodded quickly. "What's next? Also, were you flying?"

Starlight's horn began to glow and she lifted from the ground gently, hovering. "A little trick I worked out. I can't promise you'll get to that level, but we're going to try, alright?"

I reached out a hoof and waved it under Starlight, then over her. My investigation made her grin. Oh, that grin. It was so very smug. She was clearly very proud of her magic.

"Don't worry about that for now. You're in the basics." She landed gently. "And you're doing great! Alright, now that you can feel your horn, it's time to focus on the inside. Now... There are two ways we can proceed. The slow and boring way, or the fast and maybe a little invasive way."

"Invasive?" I raised a brow at her. Was it more invasive than being licked? "How invasive are you talking?"

Starlight pointed up at my horn. "I can use my magic to reach right on in there and tickle the parts you need to focus on, so you can learn what they feel like more easily. Poor unicorns without unicorn mentors have to figure it out themselves. That can take weeks, months, even years. If you trust me, we could be done much faster."

I gaped at her a little and the world as a whole. It was like learning breathing techniques from a teacher that could rest a hand on your lungs and heart directly, without surgery. "That... sounds amazing, unbelievable, and a scootch terrifying."

Starlight lay a hoof over her own heart. "I swear, as your mentor, I will be gentle and careful. If you have this trust in me, we can proceed."

Did I have that trust in her? We hadn't known each other for that long. Still, she was a unicorn of talent, enough to be Twilight's, a princess, student. "Let's make one thing clear."

"Hmm?"

"We do this right. It's not a contest."

Starlight bobbed her head. "Yes, right. I'm not trying to hurry you, True. We can do it the slower way if you'd rather?"

I was not a woman, er, stallion used to waiting when the option of moving faster was available, so long as that faster route wouldn't lead to complications down the road. "Let's do it, just be careful."

Starlight gave a little clop of joy before she settled herself on her haunches and reached with her glittering magic for my horn. I could see those sparkles pressing in at the tip, which felt pretty darn strange, let me assure you. I tried to stay still as best I could as I felt it pressing down and around in a spiral.

"Can you feel that? That's where your magic goes." I felt her press at one of the walls from the inside. "Learning how to channel and make magic flow along very specific patterns is how you'll advance to more and more complex spells." She stopped pressing in and seemed to be exploring. "I'm no doctor, but everything feels alright in here. That's good! Any scarring along this channel or other malformations can lower your potential as a wizard for life."

Oh, that made me feel so much better about having her in there, but I stayed still, terrified that any sudden movement may cause untold damage.

She pressed past that spiral and the resistance seemed lessened. "Ah, here we are. We're in the cranial-alicorn cavity." I felt her magic brush gently against something. "There's your thaumaturgical gland, where your magic is made ready to use through your horn. That's where we'll focus right now. I'm going to give it the littlest squeeze."

She did, and my muscles went tense. Light sparkled around my horn for a moment as a shiver ran through me from fuzzy ears to equally fuzzy tail. "Dear god!"

"Dear whatnow?" Starlight tilted her head. "I want you to express magic on your own now." She gently nudged that organ but didn't squeeze again. "You can feel it now, yes?"

I was acutely aware of the bulb in my skull, but making it twitch was another thing entirely. We spent what felt like hours with her nudging, brushing and even squeezing. It had me squirming and making the funniest little noises, but slowly I got my horn to glow dimly. I was making that muscle move.

Starlight withdrew gently from my horn and nodded. "Now, the boring part, practice. You're going to have to keep doing that until you can make a nice, clean, enduring light. Once you've done that, you're officially a mature unicorn, at least magically speaking." Her eyes roamed over me. "You're already quite mature in other ways..."

I tapped a hoof on the ground. "About that..." I could be coy or dance around the issue, or I could just ask. "Are you interested, Starlight?" My cheeks warmed at the asking, yet it still felt right to do. I blamed True Shot, the original.

Starlight coughed into a hoof. "I already told you where we lie." She rose up to her hooves and turned away. Her tail flicked dismissively. "You are my student. Keep practicing." She vanished in a bright sparkling.

None of that specifically said 'No, I am not interested in you.' I shook my head a little. Looking up at my horn, I willed it to glow and it gave a sputtering performance before settling into a dim little shimmer. I would get it to be brighter, that I promised myself even as I started walking. What was the use of magic you had to stay perfectly still for, anyway?

"Oh, True Shot!" Twilight was trotting down the stairs. "I'm glad to see you're alright. How was the visit with Zecora?"

I smiled at her before I focused on my horn, getting a brief flare up of brightness before it sputtered, spraying sparks for a moment.

Twilight blinked with wide eyes before she sat on her haunches and gave a clopping. "Oh! You're learning magic, yes, I remember that. Starlight must be doing a commendable job if you're already up to glowing." She pointed at my horn. "Don't try to force it past your comfortable level, or you'll get that sputtering effect. However did she manage it so quickly?"

"She did it the fast way," I replied as I moved to walk with her. She had stood up and resumed her journey.

"Fast way?"

"She reached into my horn."

Twilight cringed and stopped dead. "I'm... glad that worked well, but many schools forbid that, for fear of the student's health. Did Starlight make it clear the risks involved?" She shook her head, concern in her eyes. "A little shortcut could mean being magically crippled forever, if either of you did the wrong thing while she was operating."

I felt a cringe coming on as well. "She had." Sort of. She had impressed it was invasive, but not so much how risky the world at large considered it. "Well... we're past that now, right?"

Twilight took a small breath. "Yes. Just, in the future, let's not hurry this along at the expense of our health or long term potential. Still, congratulations are in order." She resumed walking and headed into the kitchen. "If this were human school, you've just entered high school. You're a young adult, just learning to really walk. Don't fall for the trap of thinking you can break into a sprint just yet." She pulled a jar down and popped it open easily, revealing cookies. She floated one over to me and I took it from her magic into my own. "My special supply," she said with a warm smile. "Spike knows not to touch these." Twilight took one for herself and put the jar back where it came from. "Speaking of which, me and the girls have to head out in a few days, royal business. I trust you'll be alright with Spike?"

"Sure, Spike's a great dragon. You're not taking him with you?"

She shook her head quickly. "Afraid this isn't one for him." She tapped her chin. "He likes to have a 'guy's night', and, well, you are one of those, so he may invite you. Have fun with it."

It was true, I was one of those. Hanging out with Spike sounded like a dose of sugar of the good kind. "If he invites me, I'll be sure to attend." I gave the cookie a nibble and found it crumbled just right, melted on my tongue, and had a delightful blend of flavors and butter that danced before being swallowed. "Mmm, you ponies are too damn good at cooking!"

Twilight laughed softly. "You can blame the Cakes for that one. They made that batch. Pinkie usually does my baked goods, but she was out the last time I went in for a resupply. Ah, yes." She produced a small bag from nowhere. "Your stipend." She floated it over and I accepted it.

Peeking inside, I saw a nice collection of bits of various denominations. "Why do I get paid, by the way? I'm not doing anything."

Twilight shook her head. "On the contrary, all citizens of Equestria are entitled to a minimal-lifestyle stipend for pursuing their destiny." She pointed at my flank. "You eagerly chase after yours, so you qualify. You also qualify for a few other things, so the stipend is raised just a little."

I blinked softly. Equestria was socialist? Thinking about it a moment, that seemed less surprising. Colorful, adorable, ponies would not have a society that didn't take care of each other as a priority. "What about ponies that have useless destinies?"

Twilight rolled her eyes lightly. "While some do seem of dubious value to society as a whole, we welcome everypony that puts their heart into it. Surprising innovations can come out of it, not to mention happy neighbors are easier to live with. It's a net gain for the country, overall. I'm still curious what the pony who loves large jars of jelly will ever accomplish, but the small stipend to keep him safe and fed means he isn't hurting anyone, spreading disease, or otherwise being a negative influence." She pointed at my cutie mark again. "Yours is much more direct. Managing and facilitating healthy relationships is of obvious benefit to society. Your stipend would increase if you made your services more directly available. For instance, opening a storefront."

Author's Note:

Oh, oops! I got carried away. I thought I was still under 2k words, and here I am. The typo is size today.

Hey, I mention these a lot, but we're close to the end of the month, so it would be a great time to join the patreon so I can get to working on your story next month!

Support me on atreon!

Join my discord to chat!

PreviousChapters Next