• Published 22nd Dec 2016
  • 5,513 Views, 1,260 Comments

Perchance to Dream - David Silver



Linda settled for bed, only to awaken in the middle of a garden of statues of horses. She was one of them, only not so stone. When she eventually slumbered there, she returned home. Living two lives, can she make sense of it all? Fix it, or enjoy it?

  • ...
42
 1,260
 5,513

PreviousChapters Next
13 - A Date!

I was dressed up nicely, had a subtle scent in, and I heard him knocking. I bounced towards the door and pulled it open to see... Kevin, looking miserable. "Kevin?"

He nodded a little. "Sorry. I was trying to not be a wet blanket on this, but I really can't get the smile going right now."

This wasn't like him at all. He was always so peppy and energetic. Did someone die? "What happened?"

"Work stuff." He tried to wave it off. "Look, I just didn't want to leave you hanging, waiting on me. I'll get over it, eventually. Just not tonight, right?"

I was not accepting that! "Look, sit down." I guided him towards a chair, thinking about how he had comforted me when everything was falling apart. Sure, he had actually been True Shot, still, the reflection felt strong. "Sit down and relax. I'm not hurrying you. Want a drink?"

He let out a weak little chuckle. "Something strong, if you don't mind." He wriggled, getting comfortable.

I fetched a bottle of something mid-range. I didn't want him sloshed. I poured out two glasses and gave him one. "When you're feeling ready, spit out what's wrong."

He eyed me a moment before he took a pull. "You look nice. Shit, here I am making you get all dressed up, just to leave you hanging."

"You can start making up for it by telling me why." I crouched down to be on his level as he sat. "I won't laugh, promise."

He chuckled at that before he took another sip. "Yeah, sure, alright. You hear about the new branch?" I nodded. "Boss wants me there, no excuses. Boom, cross the country with nothing but orders to find a place. What do I do? I mean, I could just quit, sure." He heaved a sigh that implied he didn't think quitting was a very good idea. "Look, I know... we're only recently starting to talk, but that's part of it. I... God this will sound stupid." He drained half his glass before going silent a moment. "Look. I talk a big game, but that doesn't mean I live up to it a lot."

That made a bit more sense, still... "So you'll get a lousy apartment for a while, right? California's not that bad, is it?"

He arched a brow up at me, eyeing me like I just declared cheese was a fine building material. "I don't know anyone out there. I don't know how to apartment hunt." He stood up suddenly, making me almost tip with surprise, but I was soon standing with him. "Alright, confession time. I still live at the family house, alright? I'm another big fat loser at the older end of millennial."

I couldn't help but glance around my own house. Did it burn him to see me handling my affairs well enough to have all that? "They asked me to move over too, you know."

He perked up, some hope igniting in his eyes. "You'll be there too?" He was smiling a little. "Maybe, I dunno..." He started to sink again.

"It's not a hundred percent yet," I warn, holding up a hand. "I played every card I had, and it'll get me settled nicely, or I stay here. One or the other."

He snorted faintly before he took another sip. "You have that kind of pull. He knows if it wasn't you busting your ass for him, the last deal would have been for nothing. I mean, hell, I hear the client was just about ready to back right out when the final pieces fell into place." He put the glass aside. "I don't have that."

I wanted to argue that, but it was kinda true. He wasn't bad at his job, but he wasn't pivotal either, and yet... "So why did he insist you move over?"

"Huh?"

I rolled a hand at him as I brought up the glass with the other, sipping. "If the boss thinks you're worthless, why would he bother moving you? He obviously thinks you're important to the new branch."

He went quiet a moment before he nodded. "Well, heck, you're right." He smiled a little. "There's no reason to pay the moving expenses for the janitor when he could just hire another one there."

I slapped him on the shoulder lightly. "You're no janitor. Stop playing yourself down." I moved towards the kitchen. "I want to help..."

"But?" He trailed after me like a lost dog.

"But it's not sure yet."

"What'd you ask?" He moved to my side. "Was it that big?"

"Bigger." I stopped and faced him. "I asked for a house."

He would have spit up his drink if he was still nursing it. "Holy shit! You don't play for halfs."

I gestured around. "Hey, it took me a while to get this one, and I don't plan to downgrade to an apartment, alright? The way I see it, condos aren't much better. I either stick with this one, or I get a new one, and that's that."

He gave a little chuckle at that. "Right... right, so... Hey, if you do get that house..."

Was he trying to ask what I thought he was trying to ask? It was kind of charming to see him struggle to say what was on his mind when it seemed so obvious where he was going, but did I want what he was offering. He was a nice person, sure... But...

Somehow, he could see me thinking about the question he hadn't asked and clammed up a moment before he fought through the block. "Linda. Can I be your roommate? I mean, if it works out. We don't have to be... more than that. Just colleagues sharing space."

"Colleagues that were just about to go on a date," I reminded him with a bit of a smile. My hand swayed past a counter and left the half-filled glass where it touched. "I'm not a teenager anymore. I know how this is going to work. Either A: We work out and become an item, or B: Things get awkward really fast as we try and fail and end up stuck together trying clumsily to respect each other's space." Even as he began to frump, I tapped him on the shoulder. "Look, it's not settled yet. Let's not make plans that may not pan out at all."

"Yeah..." He straightened his jacket lightly. "Look, sorry. You were expecting a fun night and here I am stomping all over that. I think I just needed to talk a little. Are you still up for getting something to eat?"

That sounded lovely, and I said as much. "I recall you promised to share notes about brightly colored horses."

That got a laugh out of him, genuine sounding. "I swear, you already know it. I'm just going to give you a refresher." He grabbed my coat off the hook and offered it to me. "I know a good place. Want to both take a car?"

That was a measure of trust. But I was feeling confident. "Let's take mine, I drank less." Half a cup should have put me well within limits, even if there was no 'safe' limit according to most cautionary tales. "And I don't plan on more."

"Hey, me neither. I just needed to take the edge off that moment." He fell in with me and soon we were on our way to get something to nibble on.

It was much later that I arrived home with him. Our bellies were filled, and I knew a little more about the pony world, even if I couldn't ask all the questions I wanted to without sounding odd about it. The food wasn't bad either, even if it struggled to compete with royal pony options.

"So, uh," he started. "Why the sudden interest?"

"Funny thing." I smiled at him. "It just, you know, 'clicked'."

"You'd be surprised how many bronies are in that camp." He glanced at his car in the dim light. "Well, I should be going. We both have work tomorrow. Thank you, for everything. You really helped keep my head on straight."

"And brony is?"

He blinked at me. "We went the whole night without explaining that?" He laughed a little at himself. "So, yeah, that show was not aimed at adults like you or me. Some people online started calling themselves bronies, and it stuck. So that became the generic term for 'older than the target audience fan of My Little Pony.' There've been a few movements to make a more unisex term, but nothing's stuck as well as brony. Technically, you are one, woman or not."

Brony... Maybe in my dreams. "Thanks for the nice time." I reached for his hand. He twitched ever so subtly. I was sure I would have missed it normally, and I blamed it on True Shot, but I could read him like a book. He was sad I had gone for a shake instead of a hug or a kiss. Well, there was a surprise coming. I took firm hold of that hand and kissed the back of it in a reverse gender role parting. "Until next we meet."

He colored. Was it surprise, excitement, or maybe confusion? I couldn't exactly peg it, but it affected him. "Y-yeah! Take it easy. I'll see you tomorrow." He walked off to his own car and I retreated into the warmth of my home. I had a dream to enjoy, and some ponies to talk to.

Author's Note:

Linda is feeling in control of her lives. What could go wrong?! Besides offering to become roomies too quickly. That would be a typo, right?

Support me on atreon!

Join my discord to chat!

PreviousChapters Next