• Published 21st Dec 2016
  • 399 Views, 6 Comments

The Misadventures of a Few Ponies - Power Hors3



What happens when a nerdy mare and her silly friends poke around the business of ancient ruins and magic spells?

  • ...
 6
 399

Ch 5: Life in a day.

Ch. 5: Life in a day.

“Woah! Oof!” Alina lands on Cherry, they look around, seeing they were back at the grand castle of Twilight.

“Are we back…?” Cherry asks as they start to look around.

Alina looks out the window, “Everything appears to be normal” she smiles and hugs Cherry, “I believe we’re back. Let’s leave the pictures and get out of here.”

“Agreed!” Cherry rushes and leaves the pictures behind, Alina writes a note addressed to Twilight then they both leave.

“Twilight may be still out there but I think she’ll be okay; after all they had already passed through the places we had.” Alina says to Cherry as they trot out the castle.

Cherry nods, “Mhm, she’s very smart and has Spike too. Now we should get to Canterlot, I need to report to work.”

“And I need to get back to the library before someone takes my comfy spot!” They quickly rush to the train station, seeing along the way that everything was back in its place.

“It’s so much better, I don’t ever want to do that again, we got lucky ending back up home.” Alina rests her head on the seat. Cherry scoots closer to her then Alina shifts her head onto Cherry’s shoulder.

“There’s a lot of possibilities aren’t there? We could find a cool timeline, or for you, go to all those history places you always talk about.”

“It’s too dangerous, once Twilight is back, we can mention it to her in better detail. All I left on the note was that we had returned the pictures.” Alina closes her eyes, napping on Cherry the rest of the way to the capitol.
Cherry nudges her, awaking her upon arrival. “I’m going to the station to work, have a good day friend!” They hug and part on their separate ways.

Cherry makes her way to the police station where she is greeted upon checking in. “Detective Adams, welcome, how was your morning off?” A bright eyed stallion asks.

“It was crazy Gabe! And fun! Do we have any more cases?” Cherry asks.

“Yes we do, but I’ve filtered through and reassigned a few over to the police, they’re too easy for us.”

“Get me any exciting ones?” She hangs up her coat, going into her office.

“Certainly, there have been strange reports of an area of the Everfree where ponies keep disappearing at, this is the third case this month.” Gabe passes her a folder.

Cherry begins to read it, “They shouldn’t be going to that spot then if ponies disappear there.”

“Ma’am, it says lower down that the victims were playing into a dare.” Gabe points to the footnote on the side.

“That makes them even more illogical” She sighs closing the case, “Might as well look into it” Gabe nods and leaves the room.

Alina was back at the library, she eyed the restricted corridor where she had been in another timeline. Suddenly, a rush of nervousness fills her as she realizes she had taken a few scrolls from it. Luckily, none were from this universe, but if someone of authority found the scrolls in her bag, what would they think?
Getting up quickly, she rushes home where her mother was sitting down, involved in her own reading, “Alina, how was the seminar?”

“It was good mom, some – ” Alina thinks not to mention the timeline occurrences, “Some things happened, I got to speak to Princess Twilight!”

“That’s wonderful dear, I bet that was a highlight”

“It was” She smiles, “I’m going to my room to study some scrolls I got”

“Alright, just come down for dinner when I call you okay? I don’t want you ignoring me like the past nights”

“Heheh…sorry, I got so into a book” She rushes upstairs to a small desk that was organized in a way that she knew where things were. Moving aside undone college work, she unrolls one of the scrolls and starts to both read and translate some of the old Equestrian language.

She reads: “Batponies have always been a part of the land of Equestria ever since many can recall. Their origins are unclear though some say they were caused by a wizard combining the traits of bats into ponies. This theory makes the most sense and many support this claim. However, when asked, the batponies state it is the way they’ve always been. Dated as of 1 A.L (After Luna) the appearance of these ponies have been slim. In the years of 1-15 A.L they were despised and to the date of this scroll writing, they still are in some regions. This is in large part due to Luna’s uprising causing her night guards (The batponies) to rebel at her side with their loyalty to her only.”

She stops reading and looks at the picture drawings on the side. She remembered seeing some before in her life when Luna passes on chariot, her escort were batponies most of the time. This meant they were definitely around. The scroll she had read was well over 800 years’ old, but she had occasionally heard about them.
Alina resumes reading the scroll: “The year 5 A.L was a tragic one for these ponies, the hate and scars from what had happened before damaged their reputation to a point where ponies had taken it upon themselves to hunt them. On the 7th cycle of this year, a group (mob) lead by Charles Einster with a pack of beagles corralled the bats at The Castle of the Two Sisters and proceeded to slaughter them, though not without resistance. Little fled while the best warriors of the groups fought back against Einster’s mob. Ultimately, blood was shed, burnings, hangings, and murder took place. Celestia, upon hearing this, had Einster and his leaders put on trial and hanged. Celestia; however, had some public backlash as these bat ponies where still an image the public feared. Years passed and by 50 A.L most had stopped thinking about these night creatures, only bringing them up in legends. Soon they started to fade into history, though words of Batpony clans were whispered around.”
Alina sets the scroll aside and looks outside towards Luna’s tower. “If I meet one, perhaps I can learn more. Luna somehow has guards that are batponies, I’m sure there are some political documents on them recently coming back into the guard.” She goes downstairs to see her mother cooking up a dinner of lasagna.
“You came down before, how odd of you” Her mother smiles, serving her a plate, “It’s not quite time for dinner, but here you go while it’s fresh”
Alina sits down, moving the food with her fork, staying silent.
“Is it good dear?” Her mother asks, after a few seconds of no response, she talks again, “Honey?”
“Oh um, yes it’s good mom. Exquisite job as always” Alina replies.
“Is something bothering you?” She sits next to Alina.
“Just thinking about batponies”
“Batponies? Why, did you read about them?”
“Yes, I read an old scroll that had some history on them”
“There’s a bunch with Princess Luna, I doubt they’ll talk to us though” Her mother says, “Did you want something with them?”
“Kind of, it’s a little side research nothing too important. Today was a little crazy with, er the excitement.”
“Speaking of side projects, have you completed your homework? Mrs. Ama has been calling me about your tardiness to turn in your work”
“Ugh, I’m old enough for her not to be calling home to you…but she’s right, maybe I should do that instead.”
“She cares about you passing. Now right after you eat, I expect you to get right on it missy” She gets up and continues to cook.
Alina groans and eats up, giving her dish to her mother and going back upstairs. She stares at the assignments and frowns but starts to get to work. After about two hours, she finishes and goes to bathe. While showering, her mother hollers up.
“Alina! Your friend Cherry is here to see you!” Quickly she finishes up, and goes down to see Cherry in her coat and with her fancy detective hat that she wore just to add to the part.
“Cherry, aren’t you supposed to be at work?” Alina asks, she wraps a towel on her own hair.
“Yes, but you know I do a lot of leg work so here I am” Cherry grins.
Alina sighs, “Tell me what it’s about this time. Upstairs” They go to her room, “Okay, what case do you need help with this time?”
“Missing ponies in the Everfree” Cherry sets the file down.
Alina looks at it, “You know you’re always breaking the rules by letting me look through these things.” She skims through it.
“That’s because you’re always such a help!” Cherry boops her nose.
“Hehe…nah, I’m sure you just get bored”
“Yeah that part of it! Plus, it helps to have a spare pair of eyes to look or give a second opinion.”
Alina smiles a bit, “Look Cherry…today was wild with that time thing, I’m still trying to think of how we did all that.”
“I understand; I could get someone from the station to come with me” Cherry pats her head.
“Oh fine, I’ll go, but not tonight. I need to study up and rest for school tomorrow.”
“You get out at 12pm right?”
“Yep, we can meet up here. If that’s okay”
“Sure! Get sleeping bags, a tent, food, and gas.” Cherry hugs her, “Gotta go now kiddo”
Alina squees, “Okay Cherry, be careful. See you tomorrow” And with that, Cherry zooms off, saying goodbye to Alina’s mother as well. Alina looks through the closet finding a worn tent, and went to the garage to find a small container of gasoline. As she carries it all to the living room, her mother stops her.
“Going out with Cherry on one of her investigations again?” She asks her daughter.
“Yep, got into it again” Alina giggles.
Her mother sighs but smiles, “You two take care, and don’t skip school for it.”
“It’s tomorrow night, and we will take care.”
“Good. When your father comes home in a bit, tell him too” She says as she goes to sit on the couch.
“I shall ma mon” Alina trots back up, packing up some chips and granola bars, adding them next to the water canteens in the saddle bags. She packs some of the scrolls in the saddle as well then jumps into bed with the scroll on the bat ponies.
After thirty minutes, her father comes in from work. He tosses his helmet lightly onto Alina’s bed. “Dad!” Alina jumps up and gives him a hug, “How was it?”
“Another good day at base, peaceful and calm as always” He says smiling at her.
“Awesome! So mom wanted me to tell you that I’m going out again with Cherry on an investigation.” Sighs, “Everyone treats me like a child. I’m old enough to do what I want…”
“Yes, but you know we’d like to know what you’re up to in case something was to happen. That way I can send my whole unit to help you hehe, it’d give us something to do.” He chuckles, Alina grins a bit.
“I know but it gets annoying sometimes”
“You know; so you know you have to tell me. You’re a good kid, I don’t want to lose you” He says warmly.
“O-okay, say, since you work with the army, have you seen any batponies there?”
“Not often, but yes I encounter them from time to time, why do you ask?”
“I was reading on them hehe, but that’s all for now, I’ll let you go eat dad” She smiles, hugging onto him.
“Heh, okay kiddo” He gets up, grabbing his helmet and going to eat. Alina sits back in her bed and keeps reading on till nightfall, and then sleeps.
End of Chapter 5.

Author's Note:

Ayy goinng quick hu?