• Published 18th Jul 2019
  • 9,178 Views, 490 Comments

Time Enough For Love - horizon



Clover the Clever tricked war goddess Celestia out of a coup attempt. Now she's traded the sun to woo him, and he faces a bleak prophecy: if he's brave and clever enough, he just might survive her affection for long enough to break her heart.

  • ...
22
 490
 9,178

11. The Queen

Awareness slowly returned amid the soft caress of fabric and the scent of jasmine tea. Clover was sprawled on his back, and there was a heavy weight on his hind legs. His horn hurt like it had been dragged down a few centuries of bad road — but at least it hurt, which meant his magic was back.

He groaned and sat up, only to stare into the eyes of a smiling white alicorn.

"Hey, Frumpy," Celestia said, and there was a hint of that old predatory confidence in her grin.

"Buh," he said, eyes fixed above her face. The old blue war-paint stripe had been joined by a green one — but neither stripe was paint. Paint didn't float in some intangible thaumic breeze, nor did paint colors stay completely still as her mane wafted to and fro, like some cosmic optical illusion.

He wasn't sure whether that or the tiara disturbed him more.

"Been quite a while," Celestia said, studying a gold-shod hoof. "It caused one heck of a commotion when you showed up at Canter Fort. I have to order them to keep it staffed, you know. The ministers whine at me about the budget every year."

"What," Clover croaked.

Celestia's smile didn't waver, but it grew a lot tenser. "Oh, you know how it is. Some big villain of primal chaos takes over the world and wipes out Queen Platinum's entire lineage with a wave of his claw. Jerk dad shows up just long enough to point Luna and I toward some Super Gemstones of Ultimate Harmony or something. We fight off Discord, Equestria crowns us because we're the only ones left with the power to raise the sun and moon, and after long enough you almost start to tolerate the taste of tea."

"What. What. What."

"So. Yeah. Busy three hundred years. How about you?"

Clover curled up into a little ball, whimpering.

Celestia kicked her chausses over the side of the bed and lifted the tiara from her brow, setting it down on the side table next to Clover's golden necklace. She crawled up fully next to him, curling around him and gently stroking his chest with a hoof. "Hey. It's alright. Everything's alright. I did it, Clover, I'm the Queen like I always dreamed. And now I get to share it with you, too."

Clover's head swam. This was all wrong — in its own way, as wrenching as Equestria turning into Discord's plaything. After everything they'd said, she was just casually greeting him as if nothing had happened?

But that was how they worked, wasn't it? How they had to work, with as different as Clover and Celestia were. Only the good times, and if they weren't perfect, grab the necklace and start over again. They didn't have to be a couple who fought … ever. All he had to do was forgive her for that pegasus, the same way she had apparently already forgiven him for unleashing a horde of windigos and some sort of world-eating super-windigo at her.

… When he put it that way, Clover wasn't so certain he could forgive himself.

He wriggled around in Celestia's grasp, turning himself to look directly at her, and pushed himself to the outer limits of her hug. "Listen," he said. "I'm sorry. When we talked about, what was his name, Thunder—"

Celestia's horn shimmered, and Clover's mouth snapped shut with a click of teeth. Her smile grew strained for a moment, then she closed her eyes and let out a breath before gently meeting his stare.

"It's okay," she said. "Really. I honestly mean that, Clover. It's been a few centuries, you know? I've had a lot of time to think. And, sure, you said some awful things, and you got me so pissed I was ready to flatten our mountain, but … in hindsight, you had a point too." She propped herself up on one elbow. "And our fight — that worked out, didn't it? If it hadn't happened, I wouldn't be Queen. So I've got you to thank."

Clover rubbed his jaw as Celestia released it. Let it go, a tiny part of him screamed. We're past that now. Things are back to normal. We can just enjoy each other again.

The rest of him sighed, head drooping.

"Celestia," he said. "For you it's been a few centuries. For me everything's still raw. I just had a screaming match with the mare I love. And I'm not sure I recognize the one I'm talking to."

Her smile tightened. "Then take a year," she said. "Come back fresh. That's what we do. What we've always done. And the best of everything will be waiting for you when you get back." She nuzzled stiffly at his cheek. "You can be my senior Prince Consort. I promised you the best, didn't I?"

Clover fought off vertigo, his chest tightening, and forced himself to nod. "I … wait. 'Senior'?"

Celestia's smile finally fell. "I'm Queen now, Clover," she murmured. "If I don't have a harem everypony starts to wonder."

Clover reached for his necklace.

Celestia's leg shot out to stop him. "Clover," she murmured, voice as gentle as her hoof was iron. "I'm sorry. I am. Really and truly sorry, and if I'd known three hundred years ago you weren't dead I would have done things very differently."

"Well, now you do know," he said, sounding far more resigned than he'd expected. "How long should I fast-forward?"

"Why would you?" she asked, voice getting more and more strained. "Everything's perfect, except you weren't here. Now you are. It doesn't get better than this."

"It's hardly perfect if there's no place for me," he murmured. It felt like the sort of thing he should shout, but so soon after his brush with windigos, he simply didn't have the energy for anger.

Celestia drew back a bit. She rubbed her temple with a hoof.

"Not this again," she said, and her own voice sounded nearly as exhausted as his.

"It's not again for me! We were just talking about this ten minutes ago."

"And it was no less stupid then!" She let out a long breath. "There is a place for you — a place nopony else gets. Do you think I put my whole life on hold for anypony else? Do you think I make stallions Senior Prince Consort on a whim?"

"I don't know!" Clover said. "I really don't. This is the first time I've seen you in three hundred years, and Thunderburst was almost another century before that."

"So Burry's the problem?" Celestia's tone grew a hint of an edge. "Is that what you want? To argue about a pony so long dead I no longer even know if he has descendants?"

Clover forced himself to take a long breath and put his thoughts in order.

"What I want is to feel like I matter," he said. "I did this — did everything, the necklace, the trip, taking you up on Platinum's deal — because you matter. Celestia, not the Imperatrix. And I had a chance to be somepony who knew that pony, who could be something for her that nobody else could. In return, you pushed me to be the pony you saw in me. A pony I didn't know I could be."

She frowned. "That can't be true, because Burry had exactly nothing to do with that."

"He's got everything to do with it!"

"Are you jealous I'm rutting other ponies? Is that what this is?"

"No!" Clover's ears flattened, but he looked into her eyes, forcing an earnest tone. "It never was. It's not like I didn't know what you were doing when you went to the war-camps for a week to blow off steam. But with Thunderburst, for the first time, it mattered."

Celestia shifted, sitting back, resettling her wings. Then asked, simply: "Why?"

"I sacrificed my life for you," Clover snapped back, feeling his heart squeeze in his chest. "Once, I thought I traded that for something unique. Thunderburst's the proof I was wrong. I just get what everypony else gets."

Celestia's eyes widened in shock. "That's not true! You're — he —" She broke off, steadying herself and continuing in a calmer tone. "Clover. It was Burry who just got what everypony else who loves me gets. The annoyances, the arguments, the failures. You, though? You're irreplaceable."

"I don't feel like it! Because the instant anything goes the slightest bit wrong, you kick me out for a year!"

"And give us a fresh start!" Celestia made an exasperated hiss. "Why do you do this to yourself? You never actually answered that, back on our trip. Why would you want anything other than the best possible times?"

"Because the bad times," Clover said, "are when love counts."

Celestia didn't answer right away.

She set her jaw, and her eyes flicked away in thought. "No," she finally said. "You're wrong. I've had enough arguments over my lifetime to know that, when I care for somepony, it's not because of the arguments and the tears."

"That's not what I mean."

"Then what do you mean?"

"Exactly what I said. It's …" Clover made a vague hoof gesture, then trailed off into a sigh, closing his eyes. "I don't know. Everything's so muddy. My nerves are on edge. I … no. Maybe you're right. I should take some time away." His voice grew faint. "All I know is that I love you. And we've had so many good times together. Wonderful times. Impossible, irreplaceable times. But the good times are breaking my heart."

Celestia said nothing. But her ears drooped.

"I'm sorry," Clover said. "I'll go. I'll come back in a year. I'll try to figure out by then whether I can keep doing this."

"Wait," Celestia said faintly, and tears began gathering in the corners of her eyes. "Will you stay one day before you flip? Just one day. I'll show you around the castle. Tomorrow's the first-ever Summer Sun celebration. They made me a holiday, Clover. They love me. Everypony loves me. I raise the sun for the longest day of the year, and you can hear the cheers from here to Canter Peak." Her voice hitched, and her muzzle contorted with a fear he hadn't seen since before the first time-skip. "Can't — can't you be happy for me, at least?" Her voice dropped to a choked whisper. "Do you love me enough for that?"

Clover looked away, so she wouldn't see the tears which spilled down his own cheeks.

"One day," he mumbled. "I can do that."


Their make-up sex was hesitant and perfunctory. She clung to him, afterward, while he stared at the far wall and tried not to think about the mare in his embrace.

Somehow — without quite understanding how the transition had occurred — Clover found himself aimlessly following Celestia around Everfree Palace. Clover let his blank gaze wander the castle he'd once known, taking in the bizarre extravagance and the strange clothing and the portraits of a thousand unfamiliar faces. She talked about history — so much history. Her tales of her triumphs washed over him like a tide, but it was her expression that kept looking more and more like a drowning pony's.

Celestia occasionally tried to ask him questions. He gave her what were probably good answers or something.

Then something she said drew him back to the present: "— balcony where we switch day and night."

"We?" Clover asked. "Didn't you say you were 'the' Queen?"

"Oh! Yeah. Luna's …" Celestia made a vague hoof gesture. "Backup Queen, kind of. And Imperatrix."

Clover refocused, glancing around. They were in some sort of ballroom, or feast hall, or something. Its floor had recently been refinished with some kind of exotic wood, and a number of sturdy marble tables were scattered around the room, being moved into place for the upcoming holiday. Nothing in it was recognizable, but it still felt familiar in a way Clover couldn't quite place — at least, until he saw a discolored, bulging section on the back wall.

Then he did a double-take at Celestia's words. "Imperatrix?!"

Celestia laughed uneasily. "Funny that she's the war leader now, isn't it? But she said she should have the title now since nobody in the waking world is crazy enough to attack us any more. So she's usually up at weird hours fighting off armies of nightmares or something, and it was easier to split things in half so she rules during the — Oh! Luna! Look, Frumpy's back!"

Clover froze, tracking Celestia's eyes to a point over his shoulders. He slowly turned his head, not daring to breathe.

The sight that met his eyes was a large figure in intimidating black-and-silver battle armor, her mane a living swirl of stars and galaxies to match Celestia's aurora. Luna, too, was stiff and unmoving, her eyes as comically wide as Clover's own, her stare locked with his.

The room went dead silent.

"Luna?" Celestia said.

Luna blinked rapidly, her muzzle dropping open in shock. The corner of her mouth began to twitch.

Then her eyes snapped shut, and she let out an incoherent scream.

It wasn't as loud as the one that had leveled Pansy's house. And it wasn't aimed at him. Nevertheless, Clover was blasted off his hooves, bouncing onto one of the tables and then behind it into cover. Around him, chairs tumbled outward. Even Celestia had to spread her wings for balance, sliding backward several body-lengths.

There was an ugly burst of darkness while Clover was still flailing his way back upright. By the time his ears stopped ringing, Luna was gone, and ominous silence again descended on the room.

Celestia shuffled over to him and cleared her throat uncertainly. "Um."

"I —" Clover started fumbling in his saddlebags for his necklace. "Okay, I really should go."

"No!" Celestia's hoof shot to his chest. "I — she —" She let out a breath through clenched teeth, then gave Clover a rigid smile. "I'll talk to her later, okay? I don't know what salted her drink, but I don't want you worrying about that. Tomorrow's for us."


The sun didn't rise the next morning. Instead, screams and distant rumbles heralded what should have been the dawn.

Clover bolted upright in Celestia's empty bed, and instinct instantly spurred him toward the noise. He paused at the entrance to her room just long enough to grab his saddlebags off her nightstand — then hesitated for a moment longer, remembering his fight with the chaos monster. He had a sinking feeling that this time he wouldn't have the luxury of his opponent waiting for him to improvise.

His mind racing, he fumbled with the Returning Clasp for a bit, then grabbed some pins off the nightstand and pinned the golden cord to the inside of the cloak lining. That accomplished, he threw the cloak on, tightly clasping it all the way shut to wear it like a robe with his bags over the top.

It wasn't much. It would have to do.


Explosions rocked the castle as Clover galloped through the unfamiliar halls. "Celestia!" he screamed in the face of a stampeding noble, and managed to collar the stallion long enough to get pointed toward the new throne room.

But when he reached it, the hall was empty, and it looked like there had already been a fight there. A gaping hole yawned in the back wall — directly behind the shattered remnants of one of the two thrones. Clover realized with a sudden shock that it was Platinum's old throne which lay in pieces; the other one was of a much simpler, newer design, with a small silver moon mounted atop its utilitarian iron back. Whatever blast had shattered the old throne had passed neatly between two circular wall-mounts, each containing three large brightly-colored gemstones, and for a moment he couldn't help but think that if young Celestia had bucked in this room's door she would have destroyed some lovely display pieces.

He was standing there, wondering what to do next, when the ceiling caved in with a terrific roar. Debris exploded past him, one stone winging him on the side of the head, and when his vision cleared he saw a white winged form struggling upright from a new crater in the center of the room.

Celestia! But no sooner had Clover shook off his haze and started galloping forward than she glanced up and flung herself toward the shattered throne. In less than an eye-blink, a dark meteor hurtled through the hole in the roof, and another boom shook him off his hooves. As his body tumbled to a stop near the central crater, a jet-black alicorn-shaped demon rose from it, a sharp and sickly night flowing from its body to pool menacingly into the shadows.

"No more boasts, sister?" it purred, its back to him as it crouched to face Celestia. "Is this pleading all that the Unconquerable Sun is reduced to? Will you at least cease fleeing and face your doom?"

"Luna," Celestia said brokenly. "Stop! I love you. I've always loved you."

"Pathetic," the dark thing sneered. "Keep begging like a dog and I will end you like one."

Clover struggled to stand in silence, heart hammering. Celestia, bleeding in several places, lurched to her hooves as well before falling over again.

Then their eyes met.

Celestia's eyes widened.

In an instant, the demon had spun to face him, hissing. Instinctively, his horn flared to life to blast it with a thaumic bolt, hoping to stagger it long enough to scramble into cover, but a dark limb lashed forward faster than magic could gather. The tip of it barely brushed his neck — and even that was enough to crumple his throat and snap his head back.

Clover tried to wheeze in pain, feeling his lungs silently tighten and stars burst at the corners of his vision. A wave of searing air backwashed from his disrupted spell, and he staggered back. He gasped heavily as that jarring motion reopened his airway, and scrambled backward on leaden legs as the thing-that-was-once-Luna flowed forward on tendrils of night.

"No!" Celestia screamed, launching herself toward the pair, summoning Mister Smashy from the aether and drawing it back for a blow. Without looking, the demon swatted Celestia away with a wave of darkness, sending her rocketing into a corner of the far wall with an impact that shook the building. The already-weakened wall collapsed in on her with a roar, and streaks of shadow shot across the room, splattering against the rubble and causing it to shimmer with a sickly dark sheen.

Clover, too, began spellcasting as Celestia charged — but there was an impossibly fast blur as a shadowy tendril lashed toward his forehead and coiled around his horn. He jerked his head back and the tendril dissipated into smoke, but something still clung to his horn, numbing it and greedily suckling at whatever energy he tried to focus through it.

"And thus ends the battle." Cruel laughter rolled like thunder from a distant storm. "Clover, Clover, party's over. Skipping so far down the river of time only to feed the shadows with your blood."

Clover scrambled backward from its implacable advance. "Luna!" he shouted desperately. "If you're in there — if any part of you still cares for Celestia — then fight this. Please."

The demon snorted. "As hopelessly foolish as ever. A trait I see you infected my sister with. Did you not think I embraced vengeance against a callous sister and an uncaring world?"

Clover, realizing he was backing toward a wall, started angling his retreat. The demon — no, Luna — smoothly glided sideways, boxing him in.

"I'm ever so glad you stayed for this," she said as she closed in. "For the first time in my life I was worried that you might do the sensible thing."

Clover's hoof slipped on a loose stone. He crumpled to the floor, Luna looming over him.

The rubble at the back of the room, which had been erratically shifting, gave a mighty heave, sending a few rocks rattling down from the pile which its dark infection immediately drew back in. "Luna!" Celestia shouted, muffled, from underneath. "Leave him alone! He's no threat. I'll —" her voice broke. "I'll do anything you want."

Luna's face contorted as she looked over her shoulder. "You will suffer!" she shouted. "And that is reason enough to break him!" Clover felt a tendril of darkness caressing his muzzle, and flinched back as the sudden rage drained back away from her voice. "But even if it wasn't," she purred, "I'm afraid my hooves are tied, sister. For in this instance I am but a humble servant of prophecy."

Oh no. Clover's protest died on his lips, and his stomach clenched and twisted. No, no.

"Luna!" Celestia shouted, and the rubble shook and resettled again. "What are you talking about?"

Luna threw back her head and laughed, loud and long. "Oh, me! He never even told you what Star Swirl said." Her laughter subsided into a purring, mocking tone. "'Without the amulet,'" she quoted, "'the mare who loves him will be alone and broken-hearted at the time she needs him most. And with it, the mare who loves him will be alone and broken-hearted at the time she needs him most.'" Her lips split into a sharp, jagged smile. "Because I finally found the correct solution. I ended him as you watched."

"That's not what it meant!" Clover blurted out. "Pansy loved me, once upon a time! And she died without —"

The air suddenly darkened, and something slapped Clover hard across the face. The room spun. When the motion stopped, he was lying cheek to floor, feeling something wet and metallic in his teeth.

"You're a horrible liar," Luna stage-whispered, right in his ear.

Clover yelped and scrambled away. He'd barely moved before a dark fog coalesced around him, and his limbs slowed as if he was wading through molasses.

Luna glided back alongside him. "Do you know how long I agonized over those words?" she purred. "How much I sacrificed to ward off the moment of their arrival, and how many threats to Equestria I removed once I determined I would make my death mean something?" She sneered. "And then I survived Discord, and you perished. I could not believe it! I had cheated fate. So I comforted Celestia, and I made her life perfect in a way nopony else ever could." Something in the darkness seized Clover, and the demon's face appeared in front of his own, its muzzle contorting: "A perfection she threw back in my face the moment you returned!"

There was the sudden sensation of motion as the face vanished back into the fog. Then the stone castle wall appeared inches from his face, and Clover barely had time to flinch before he slammed into it full-on.

"Luna!" Celestia let out a muffled shout from across the room, and the rock burying her shifted as she fought for leverage.

Shadows roughly grabbed Clover before he hit the floor. "After everything I did, she chose a mortal over me!" Luna screamed. The room spun around him for a moment, and the next thing he knew, another wall slammed him to a painful halt. He bounced away and rolled to a dazed stop on the stone floor, trailing tendrils of smoke as the fog pulled back to re-coalesce into an equine form.

For a moment, Clover was shocked that he hadn't been pulverized. She was holding back, he realized. Making sure he suffered.

He barely had time to breathe before Luna was looming over him again. "Did you truly think you could swindle your way out of prophecy? Doomed to fail Celestia in her time of need?" A dozen dark auras shimmered in midair, resolving into spearlike slivers of moonlight, and the spears' wicked points gleamed as they swiveled to face his body. The darkness around him grew teeth and swirled aggressively inward, nipping at his legs and back, numbing his skin. "But now it is all so clear. My own vow once upon a time — 'break her heart, and I will end you' — was itself prophecy. Two separate prophecies in one, and I will fulfill both at a single stroke."

Out of the corner of his eye, Clover saw Celestia finally thrash her head free of the rubble, eyes wide and manic, teeth gritted. She glanced around wildly — then snapped her head toward the gems which had fallen from the wall displays at her impact. Her horn stuttered to uncertain life.

One by one, the rainbow gems began to hover and glow. Whatever it was, it was charging far too slowly.

"Wait!" Clover shouted, looking into Luna's dark, demonic face as the numbness seeped up his legs to his shoulders. Stall. Stall! "You've won, Luna. There's no way I can stand up to an alicorn, let alone whatever you've become. But wouldn't you rather have a satisfying victory?"

Luna sneered, and the spears of light lifted and drew back. "Fool. You would play at bargaining? There is nothing you could offer me that would be sweeter than your long-overdue death."

Clover groped madly in his saddlebag, feeling for the thin golden chain and working his hooftip into its neck-loop to yank it out. Its triangle-in-circle amulet dangled from his hoof in front of her muzzle.

"Admitting how wrong I was," Clover said. Three glowing gems. "Throwing myself at your hooves and begging for the deal you once offered."

Luna hesitated for a long moment. Her eyes strayed to the necklace.

Four gems. They were starting to circle each other, leaving little colored trails that merged into a partial midair rainbow.

Suddenly, Luna's muzzle curled into a toothy scowl. Her horn surged with power. The necklace jerked out of Clover's grasp, and the amulet ripped apart in such an intense shower of golden sparks that he couldn't help but wince.

"A Returning Clasp?" she shouted, flinging the small golden clasp over her shoulder with such force that there was a crack as it left her hornglow, and a pok and puff of dust as it embedded itself into the wall. "Really? Are you truly such a lackwit that your best plan is to insult my intelligence?"

Clover forced himself not to look at the useless shards of gold on the ground — right now, he couldn't let anything but the distraction matter. Five gems!

"I'm afraid so," he said with false calm, shifting his shoulder in a small, apologetic shrug. "But isn't it satisfying to know how pathetic my best is?"

Luna's eye narrowed. "Hardly. Even for you, this is —"

Then she paused, black eyes boring into Clover's. Six!

"A distraction?" Clover said, allowing himself a smile.

The gems' whirling became a six-colored blur, and they descended upon Celestia's buried body. The air in the throne room began to shimmer with harmonic energy. The rubble trembled and discolored into rainbow hues, and a glowing Celestia burst out of the rocks as if they weighed no more than pillows.

And in a single, fluid motion, shadowy tentacles lashed out to grab Clover, yanking him roughly into the demon's embrace. Luna whirled around, thrusting him forward like a shield.

"Hold!" she shouted, a note of desperation at the edge of her voice. "Or you shall regret it!"

Celestia gasped, blank white eyes flying wide. Her shimmering body froze mid-ascent, hovering perfectly still.

The alicorn and the demon stared at each other for a long, silent moment — broken only by Clover's urgent gasp for breath as he managed to wriggle around enough to shift the dark tentacles' iron hold.

Then Luna threw back her head, loosing a hearty cackle. "Wait. Was this your plan?" she crowed, shaking Clover for punctuation. "Break the Elements of Harmony by turning them upon one of their wielders, and in the process, banish your sister and your lover? Oh, this is marvelous! I should beg you to fire! You will suffer more thoroughly than any punishment I could inflict!"

Celestia blinked. "Clover?" she said, voice cracking, and the whirling trails of rainbow circling her form began to wobble. "Luna? I …"

Clover thrashed wildly against his shadow bindings. "Do it!" he screamed, feeling their one chance start to slip away. "Or we're both dead, and Equestria with us!"

"Do it!" Luna hissed with equal intensity, lowering her head next to Clover's and drawing back her lips for a fanged smile. "Send me to the shadows with a plaything to devour piece by piece!"

Celestia flinched and moaned. Her body began to drift toward the floor, and the colors of the rainbow started to separate back into their individual components. Clover's blood froze in his veins.

"Celestia," he croaked, pleading her with his eyes. And then an odd lightness settled in, and every stupid, clever voice in his stupid, clever head sang one thought in unison. He fixed his lover with an intent gaze, and gave her a wry little grin.

"I dare you to do the right thing," Clover said. "Or is the mighty Imperatrix going to back down from a challenge?"

Celestia's descent halted. Her pupilless eyes widened. The shadow gripping Clover went very still.

Then Celestia's lower jaw began to tremble. She slammed her eyes shut, and her horn flared back to life, and she screamed. The Elements of Harmony flared as every last scrap of power she could summon poured into their Harmonic engine, and a brilliant beam of rainbow light burst forth.

"No!" Luna screeched — once, and then again more shrilly — and then any thought of sensation was washed away in the overwhelming power of the Elements.

And when that power slowly faded some time later, and Celestia cracked her eyes open again, the room was empty — save for the shattered pieces of a golden necklace on the ruined floor.



Author's Note:

…It is probably worth reminding longtime fans that way back in my very first comment, I noted: "If you've read the original Writeoff version and you think you know exactly how this goes … maybe a few things have changed." We'll see how the ending plays out from here.

One more chapter left! I am *SO* tempted to delay it a day and make everyone scramble to download it at the airport while they're waiting for their flight to Bronycon. But nah — "The Future" will post in the morning, because I am a kind and considerate pony.

Who likes his kneecaps.