• Published 2nd Jul 2012
  • 2,149 Views, 41 Comments

A Spark of Magic - Robsa990



Queen Chrysalis has returned! Will the new colt join the mane 6 to defeat her and her changelings?

  • ...
10
 41
 2,149

A Hurried Approach

Enjoy!

Chapter 2: A Hurried Approach

Twilight rushes towards the Princess and stands in front of her.

“What do you mean? What happened to them?” Twilight asks in a worried tone. Princess Celestia angles her head down to see Twilight in front of her, on the verge of tears. The rest of us walk towards where Twilight is standing to comfort her, in case bad news was to be heard. Princess Celestia had managed to calm herself down as she begins to re-tell the horrifying events.

*Hours Earlier*

Princess Celestia has just finished raising the sun. With a warm smile across her face she walks through two open double doors into a hallway leading to her throne room. Walking through the hallway, she gazes at the stained glass windows and then to the refraction of different coloured lights projected across the marble floor.

“Good morning” She says, greeting the two royal guards standing on either side of the red double doors. Both of the guards bow to her. Using her magic, she opens the double doors of her throne room. The rays of the sunlight shine through the clear windows, illuminating Celestia’s flowing mane. Suddenly, all of the windows shatter as familiar-looking creatures burst through them. The sudden event leaves Princess Celestia shocked and stunned. Celestia realizes that these creatures are, in fact, changelings. The entire throne room is now filled with changelings, both on the floor and buzzing in the air. The cackle of Queen Chrysalis reverberates through the throne room as Celestia finds herself standing face-to face with Queen Chrysalis.

“We meet again, Celestia,” Says Chrysalis. Princess Celestia tries to use her magic against her, but she realizes her magic is being prevented by two anti-magic rings on the base of her horn. She mustn’t have seen the changeling grunt who must have dropped them on her horn as it flew over her earlier.

“Chrysalis!? What is the meaning of this intrusion?” Says Celestia as she is held down by six changelings.

“Oh, I am so glad you asked, Princess! It’s very simple: revenge, of course!
She cackles. “My previous ‘visit’ didn’t go as planned, remember?” Chrysalis says in her demonic voice. She turns to her subjects. “Bring them in!”

The changelings obey the command from their superior. Celestia couldn’t believe her eyes. Through a broken window, Princess Cadence and Shining Armor are being brought in by the changelings. Each tied together by ropes of green magical energy around their limbs. Both of their horns have an anti-magic ring attached. Princess Celestia can hear the sounds of struggle coming from them as they are placed on the red carpet.

“Let me show you something, Celestia: if anypony would try to interfere with my plan...” Chrysalis turns to face the struggling Cadence and Shining Armor. “This is what they’ll get!” She says as her horn glows a green aura. Two magical green beams of energy burst from Chrysalis’s horn and onto Cadence’s and Shining Armor’s horns. They both groan in pain and start to falter in their stance. The green beams disappear, and they both collapse on the ground, clearly unconscious. “Don’t worry Celestia; I didn’t kill them. I just absorbed their magical power to within an inch of their life, but they’ll die slowly,” She says, cackling. The horns of the changelings surrounding Cadence and Shining Armor light up with a green aura, producing a circle of green flames around both of them. Soon they both disappear beneath the floor. Princess Celestia, filled with rage, hits one of the changelings with the back of her hoof in the face, causing it to fall out the window. This loosens their hold on her which then gives her enough freedom to kick another out another broken window.

“You’ll pay for this, Chrysalis!” Shouts Celestia with anger in her voice.

“Oh, no, you’re mistaken. It is you who shall pay!” Says Chrysalis as her horn glows green again. Knowing what Chrysalis was about to cast, Celestia takes action. Just as Chrysalis fires her green beam of energy, Celestia tilts her head so that the base of her horn faces the beam. With a loud clatter, the beam of energy shatters both of the anti-magic rings on her horn. “What?! Impossible!” She snaps. Celestia concentrates on a spell, and with a blinding flash of light, she teleports into the heart of Canterlot. Using her Royal Canterlot Voice, she gives warning of Queen Chrysalis’s presence and orders for the guards to protect the citizens while she retrieves the bearers of the Elements of Harmony. As a shocked and puzzled Princess Luna arrives at the scene, Princess Celestia gives her the short story on what’s happened and places her second in command. Soon all of the guards are seamlessly pouring out of the castle and their stations fighting off hundreds of changelings surrounding the castle.

*The Present*

“I need you girls to wield the Elements of Harmony once again! I’ll have Spike set up a train to Canterlot and don’t worry he’s safe with me,” Says Princess Celestia, now turning to me. “Silver Spark, you are to assist the girls. They’ll need it. Now I must get back to Canterlot to help with the defenses.” I’m stunned to hear her say my name, how did she know my name?

“Princess, if I may ask, how did you know my name?” I ask with a quizzical look.

“From your cutie mark, of course,” She replies, and with that she teleports out of the library with another flash of light.

Puzzled and confused at what’s been happening, I look towards Twilight, who is now staring back at me along with the others, all shocked at how the Princess knew my name from just looking at my cutie mark.

“Umm, girls? We should get going, the Princess needs our help!” I say. They all nod.

“Let’s hurry to the train station…come on!” Twilight says. I follow Twilight and the others out of the library. The train station’s just a few minutes’ walk from here. “We need to hurry. According to what Princess Celestia described, my brother and Princess Cadence are in the caves beneath Canterlot.”

“There are caves beneath Canterlot?” Asks Rainbow Dash.

“Most ponies have forgotten that those caves even exist, Chrysalis used those caves to try to trap Cadence and me during her last attack,” Twilight responds. “We’re approaching the Ponyville train station.” In the distance, a docked train is visible.

“There’s the train. Come on!” I say as I increase the pace of my galloping. The seven of us arrive at the train station and run straight into the open cabin door. After I step inside, I rest against the cabin wall a bit to catch my breath. Pinkie Pie comes hopping through the door as if nothing was happening.

“I call top bunk!” She shouts as she springs up from the ground and lands on the top bed.

“Y’know, there is a ladder there, Pinkie Pie…” Applejack says dryly.

“I know, but this way is more fun!” Pinkie replies, giggling.

“This is no time for fun and games girls; this is serious! My brother and Cadence are in danger of dying!” Says a worried Twilight. I walk up to Twilight and put a reassuring hoof on her shoulder.

“Don’t worry, Twilight; nopony’s dying on my watch,” I say. “Besides, if Princess Cadence has been trapped down there before, she might’ve already gotten out with Shining Armor.”

“Yeah, you’re right. We should hope for the best. Thanks, Silver.” Twilight says as she embraces me in gratitude. The sudden jerk of the train starting to move sends Twilight and I tumbling to the floor atop each other. The both of us quickly get to our hooves and start to blush.

“Careful there, lovebirds!” Applejack says with a snicker. At that comment, everypony starts laughing. Once the laughter dies down, we each pick our spots on the train. Since three of the four sets of bunk beds were occupied, I took the bottom bunk of the fourth set. The girls start their chatter as I gaze out the window. The sun is almost touching the horizon, meaning the day is almost over. I go through today’s weird events in my head:

“Okay, I arrived in Ponyville this morning and met Pinkie Pie and Mrs. Cake at Sugar Cube Corner. Then I met Rainbow Dash and Twilight Sparkle in the library. Twilight offered a tour and introduced me to her remaining friends: Applejack, Fluttershy, and Rarity. Pinkie threw a welcome party, during which Princess Celestia suddenly arrived and warned us of the return of Queen Chrysalis. Now we’re on our way to Canterlot and I’ve been ordered by the Princess herself to assist the girls in this ordeal. This has got to be THE most exciting day of my life!” My thoughts are interrupted by Twilight climbing onto my bed and sitting down next to me by the window.

“It’s weird, isn’t it? Being a new arrival to a town and having to be caught up in this mess,” She says as she gazes out the window.

“Are you kidding? This is the most eventful day of my life! Unlike in Manehattan where every day’s the same…” I reply. “Well, rarely there would be events like the Wonderbolts derby, but that gets held in Canterlot most of the time. Speaking of Canterlot, how long’s the ride until we arrive there?”

“About 4 hours usually,” She replies. “But since it’s an emergency arrangement, it could be quicker.”

With that, we decide to rest for the few hours we have left on the train. As I lie awake in my bunk, staring at the night sky, I think to myself, “Man, today was an eventful day, but eventful will be an understatement to describe what we’ll be in for later.”