• Published 18th Dec 2016
  • 2,843 Views, 35 Comments

A Rainbow In The Snow - TheEveryDaySparkle



Rainbow Dash finds and adopts a homeless Scootaloo before Hearths Warming

  • ...
1
 35
 2,843

A New Home

Rainbow Dash smiled, narrowing her eyes as she got into a one sided stare down with a cloud before landing atop it and gently kicking it to produce snow. Like all Pegasi (excluding Fluttershy), Rainbow Dash's job was to maintain the weather in and around Equestria.

And, like all Pegasi, Rainbow Dash had quite a bit to do in order to maintain it, especially with 'that' day coming.

What am I referring to, you ask? Why the annual Hearths Warming celebration, of course!

Our dearest Rainbow Dash was more than just excited about its arrival. She was ecstatic. She was working harder than ever, both to test herself and to finish her duties as quickly as possible so that she could spend Hearth's Warming with her friends.

Little did she know, she was about to give one foal in particular, a life changing early present.

As Rainbow Dash is known to notice everything she sees as long as she is flying, she happened to spot a single foal walking along the paths of Ponyville.

It appeared to be a pony with fuchsia colored hair and an orange coat.

Upon noticing what she believed to be the sad state of the pony before her, she interrupted her duties for a moment to fly down and see what was wrong.

Despite the fact that she knew she would have to pick up the slack caused her own actions on her own, she thought that, as a fellow pony and citizen of equestria, It was her duty to help all those in need.

That, and she was in a really good mood.

As she flew down towards the foal, she was able to take in more of this pony's appearance, and as she landed gently down in front of the filly, she could see that her perception of her state was correct.

She walked up to her, causing her to shrink back in fear. Still she pressed on, saying, "It's alright. I won't hurt you."

She would have added 'What's wrong?' To that sentence, but something about the way the pony was trembling as she looked at her, made her reconsider her thoughts and remain quiet, deciding to only trot forward, placing a wing on the pony's shoulder.

"See? I told you I won't hurt you."

For a moment the pony was afraid, eyes wide as she stared in shock at the pony before her, believing her to be somepony who would hurt her. But, as she watched the rainbow maned pony, and felt her wing touch her back, she somehow relaxed.

It had been quite a long time since the foal had felt any sort of warmth. The last time she remembered feeling it was when she was being taken care of at the orphanage. But when the orphanage got too full, and it turned out nopony wanted to adopt her, she was sent on her way, along with a few other ponies, with as much food and water as she could carry, including a little something extra from her favorite carepony, Gentle Breeze.

Sadly, the offerings of food and water had been used up fairly quickly thanks to her ever increasing appetite. She was a growing foal after all. And the situation was only made worse by her not having eaten for a while in order to conserve what little she had left.

Unfortunately this had made it worse, as when she did return to eating, she was so hungry that she ended up eating it all in one final go.

Ever since then, she had been wandering Equestria with no food or water, and after being turned down by the ponies she went to for help, she had given up on asking others, and turned to using her own strength to find food.

Unfortunately that strength had been in short supply due to her condition, and she eventually turned to scavenging trash bins and sometimes dumpsters to gather sustenance.

She had become a dirty, lonely, pitiful sight, and this is what she looked like as she wandered aimlessly through Ponyville, no longer holding on to any hope that somepony would find and take care of her like at the orphanage.

That is until she came upon this mare, this angel, this goddess in pony form, that had stopped to help her and to see what was wrong.

At first, she couldn't believe it, but as she looked into the concerned eyes of the mare before her, she found herself sinking into the soft, comfy feathers of the wing around her shoulders, still shaking, but this time not from fear, but from the days of hunger she had to power through all this time.

Rainbow Dash was truly concerned for this foal. She had been a tad bit annoyed that the pony had shied away from her at first, but as she looked into its wide, crazed, and tear filled eyes, she found herself feeling sorry for her.

Rainbow Dash was not one for maternal instincts. It was even against her nature to acknowledge anything that she did not consider 'cool' enough for her. But there was something about this foal that made her feel...protective. Like she wanted to keep it safe and warm. She felt an unfamiliar tug at her heart. What was this new feeling? She did not understand it.

But, even as she battled with her desires, pitting them against her very identity and sense of self, she felt that she had to at least do something. And in her distracted and emotionally torn state, she said,

"Hey kid, you seem lost."

She covered her muzzle quickly, both because she had meant to say something entirely different, and because she probably brought up memories of whatever bad things this foal had to go through.

"I-i-i mean...Aggh, whatever! I mean that-"

"I feel lost." The pony said as she hung her head, her muzzle to the ground and her eyes locked on her hooves.

That was when Rainbow Dash realized she had indeed said something that brought back bad memories, and once again, that strange tug at her heart could be felt. She closed her eyes and hugged the pony tightly, as if her warmth could take away all her worries.

It in fact did just that, as the pony stopped looking down and looked at Rainbow Dash with yet another shocked face. She hadn't felt the warmth of another pony in what felt like forever to her. She accepted it, and hugged her back in return.

As the two of them finally stopped hugging, Rainbow Dash said, "So, kid, what's your name?"

"M-my name is Sc-Scootaloo, Ma'am." She said as politely as she could, trying not to offend the pony who had so generously given he time to her.

"Do ya wanna tell me what happened?"

This shocked Scootaloo even further. This mare she had just met had not only helped her feel better, but offered to listen to her problems as well. But, even though she was grateful for her help, she couldn't oblige her request. It was just too painful to think about. Especially after she had tried so hard to forget it all, to bury her problem and deny the fact that she had become what she was now. A lowly scavenger.

"I...don't wanna talk about it." She hung her head once more.

"...Alright then, fine." Rainbow Dash said after a moment, causing Scootaloo to look up one last time.

"But I want you to remember that I'll be here. I 'will' be here if you ever change your mind. I can tell something is wrong, and although I don't quite understand it, I want to help, so I'll be here if you ever need me. For anything. Got that?"

Scootaloo stared at the mare before her. Not shocked like before, but taken aback by the sheer bluntness of her statement. Soon, the look on her face changed to one of admiration. This mare could save her.

What followed after that day was a period of harder work for Rainbow Dash, directly after receiving an earful from her bosses up in Cloudsdale. She was forced to do both her work, and the work of the pony that had to cover for her while she was down in Ponyville, getting what her superiors called 'Unplanned Leisure Time.'

This was happening because after the ordeal with Scootaloo, Rainbow Dash had gone home to rest instead of straight back to work like she should have. She had just been too emotionally wiped to continue her work.

She complained, of course, but eventually she gave in and reluctantly accepted her fate, working extra hard for the Hearth's Warming celebration.

Of course, the thought that she was working hard for the sake of Hearth's Warming made all the yelling and extra work seem like a distant memory, replaced by happy thoughts of presents and spending time with her friends.

She was done by midday, and went to find a cloud so she could take her usual midday nap. Even a pony as awesome as her needed rest after all.

She smiled as she remembered her friend Pinkie Pie, the tireless party pony that everypony knew and loved. Lucky her, she never seemed to need sleep. If Rainbow Dash could go without sleep, the first thing she would do every night is visit her friends to check up on them. Some of her friends were already night owls anyway. Twilight always studied late at night. Rarity had to work on her dresses, and Fluttershy had to feed and care for her animals.

After she checked up on her friends, she would probably set up pranks for the other ponies of Ponyville in advance. She laughed at that thought. It had been a while since she pulled a prank after that incident with the rainbow mouths. She suddenly shivered, remembering. She took back what she said about pranking them. That would be scary...for her.

Suddenly, she found her thoughts drifting slowly to that sad little foal she found. 'She was so hurt.' She thought, before saying out loud, "I wonder what she's doing now..."