• Published 19th Apr 2017
  • 2,013 Views, 75 Comments

Not Just A Bug 2 : Not Just One - Bringiton6611



Well, this seems familiar... I just don't know why. It's not like I'm in the Everfree forest again, taking care of a bug pony like Thorax. Only this time though, there's not just one of them. Shit just got real again.

  • ...
4
 75
 2,013

Chapter 5 - Ambush

Well holy shit. I can see way he wanted us to see this.

In front of us is a clearing. And in that clearing, is about 15-20 changelings.

All Dead.

"Holy shit... maybe one of them is still alive?"

"Maybe... Spread out! Look for anything that may tell us what happened!"

With a echo of 'Yes sir's', Shining and the other guards start looking around the clearing. I look back at Thorax to see him staring at the mess in front of him, not moving a muscle.

"Just... stay here. K?"

He gives a weak nod. I suppose that's as good as i'm going to get right now.

With that, I turn and start helping in the search.

Jesus, this is not a pretty sight, if you haven't figured that out yet.

I choose a random body that doesn't have a guard already there and move to it.

Upon arriving, I can already tell that the blood around the body is dry, so these changelings have been dead for some time.

But then I notice something that catches my eye.

There are gashes along the changelings side, but there not rigid like from an animal. These cuts are clean, like from a knife or something.

"Shining!"

He looks in my direction and I motion for him to come over.

"Find anything?"

"Look at these. There clean cuts. The likely hood of this being an animal is small. I'm thinking that someone did this, not something."

"Your body is not the only one like this. The other all have cuts from something sharp, and some have injuries from magic. Plus, one of the bodies had a arrow in its neck."

"A pony had to have done this... but why kill them? I know that some ponies must still be mad from the invasion, but Jesus. This is a little much, even for revenge. And from what Thorax said, the changelings didn't kill anybody in Cantorlot, just drained them."

"I don-"

"GET AWAY FROM ME!"

"Captain! One's still alive!"

I stand up, but Shining puts a hoof up as he gets up. "Can you stay here and keep a look out? Whoever did this could still be out there."

"PLEASE, JUST STAY AWAY!"

With a nod, I say, "Yeah, sure."

He faces Thorax, who still hasn't moved, and motions him to join him and the others. With shaky steps, he follows him.

The changeling is still screaming bloody murder behind me, but I do my best to tune him (The voice sounded male, so I didn't assume it's gender) out as I start scanning the woods. It becomes harder when the changeling spots Shining, but I still manage.

Lets see... tree... tree... tree.... OH MY GOD, IT'S A ROCK.... tree.

"LET GO OF ME!"

"Please, calm down! We're trying to help!"

...If your trying to help him, maybe it's not a good idea to hold him down, because that's exactly what it sounds like their doing.

After a few more seconds of listening to screaming, it dies down, but I can still hear panicked breathing, so I'm going to assume that Thorax started talking.

Everything seemed like it was starting to calm down.

Then I took an arrow to the knee.

"AHH, FUCK!"

Despite what just happened, I couldn't keep a thought out of my head.

I used to be a adventurer like you. Then I took a-

YEAH, I KNOW. IT FREAKING HURTS!

My yell caught everyone's attention, and Thorax is the first to see what has happened to my leg.

"David!"

"Get down!" I yell as more arrows come flying by. I take cover behind a tree, and the others take cover behind a small mound of dirt. It's small, but it's tall enough to keep them safe. For now.

The arrows stop firing as our attackers lose sight of us. Instead, they start yelling at us.

"Show your faces! We know you have some insects with you!"

I hear the word insects, and I quickly put the pieces together.

The arrow that Shining said was in one of the bodies. The magic burns. The gashes.

These ponies are hunting changelings.

I turn my attention to where the others are hiding, and I can now see the changeling that was screaming his head off earlier. He looks absolutely petrified. He's actually hugging onto one of the guards for dear life.

"Why are you protecting those bugs!? They deserve what's coming!"

Dear god, these ponies insane. I assuming they shot me because they didn't know what I was, and immediately thought I was a changeling.

"Timber wolves!" I here one of the attacks shout, follow by more yelling and growling from said wolves.

It went from zero to a hundred real quick, holy shit. Peaceful to what the fuck is happening.

Then one of the wolves takes notice of me.

"Oh shit!" With the attackers attention now focused on the wolves, I move from my cover and start limping my way to the others.

Then the wolf tackles rams into my side, causing me to fly about about 10 feet to the right.

I quickly get back up and start limping with the speed of a fox, despite my injury. I have so much adrenaline running though me, it's actually ridiculous. I'm not complaining, its what's keeping me alive.

The battle behind me is growing quiet, telling me that I'm getting farther away. I don't hear the wolf behind, but I'm not taking chances.

I'll have to find my way back to the others later. I just hope Thorax doesn't flip shit while I'm not there.