• Published 25th Dec 2016
  • 7,134 Views, 258 Comments

Spiders and Magic: What If Luna Revealed Her Feelings Before Twilight Sparkle? - Maximus_Reborn



What if Princess Luna revealed her feelings for Peter Parker before Twilight Sparkle could?

  • ...
36
 258
 7,134

Defensive and Openings

Chapter Six “Defensive and Openings”

Peter’s mouth hung open as he let out a low yawn. His body had yet to adjust to the night life since he started working as Princess Luna’s knight. However, his exhaustion came more from a side project than the job itself. He’d followed his own advice and requested that the smith forge him a shield.

Its design was simplistic, round, and compact. While forged from the strongest metals in Canterlot, the shield was firm yet surprisingly light in weight. An insignia of the sun stood at its center among its bright yellow and white design. After a quick process, Peter had a weapon ready for his knightly duties.

However, that was only the beginning. Having learned of the anti-magical properties of the crystals within the catacombs underneath Canterlot, Peter made it his goal to infuse his newly forged shield with the same repelling attributes. Acquiring the crystals was easy enough, but breaking down the crystals into a liquid form proved to be somewhat challenging. Fortunately, with perseverance, determination, and several cups of coffee, Peter eventually succeeded in the process.

The stallion soon set the shield within a pot over a flame, allowing the item to soak in the boiling properties of the liquefied anti-crystals. Yet, as he quietly sat in the confines of the cellar, his mind drifted to the last memory he had in Ponyville before his departure for Canterlot. Twilight’s tear-stained face and outpouring anger had plagued Peter’s mind for days, filling him with doubt. Though spoken out of frustration, there was truth in the unicorn’s words.

Luna was an eternal being, a princess, and undeniably the second-highest ranking official in the land just behind her older sister. Peter was just a college dropout trying to become a knight. To say that the alicorn was out of his league would be a massive understatement. Plus, there was a species divide between them, and sadly, due to his own density, the thought had finally crept into Peter’s mind.

“Why am I just now thinking about the fact that Luna’s a horse? The fact that it’s rarely occurred to me is enough to show how crazy I really am,” Peter whispered, staring at nothing in particular. He paused, folding his hooves. “Then again, I’m a horse, too, and have been for a few months now. It’s not all that different from being a human, minus the opposable thumbs.” Scoffing under his breath, Peter glanced to the side. “The ponies here are sapient and almost more civil than my own race was. So why am I bothered all of a sudden?”

Peter let out a low sigh. “That’s easy. Because you were so focused on trying to impress Luna that you didn’t stop and think about how she might feel. Twilight, too.” He leaned back into his seat, holding both hooves behind his head. “I’ve seriously gone over the deep end. I’ve got a crush on a pony princess with a bad attitude. Are you sure it’s not the grief talking, Peter?” The stallion blinked before shaking his head. “I’m actually pretty sure about it. Luna’s actually really cute, and she’s nice when the mood suits her. Besides, I can’t sulk over Gwen forever.”

After an awkward moment of silence, Peter rubbed a hoof over his eyes and groaned. “Peter. Stop talking to yourself in third person. You’re really starting to sound crazy.”

“I’m certain that you’re already mad, and I’m not one to make assumptions,” a firm voice declared from behind, causing the stallion to stammer about.

Peter nearly fell from his seat, spinning his chair around to find Princess Luna standing at the door to the cellar. “How long have you been standing there?”

“Not long. I only caught the tail end of your endless drabble,” the mare sternly stated, furrowing her brow as she walked to his position. “So, this is where you’ve been. I haven’t heard from you in a number of days.”

The stallion let out a relieved sigh before he turned his attention to the shield within the pot. “It sounds like you missed me.”

Luna scoffed dismissively. “Hardly. You have a job to attend to, and you’re already slacking after a few days. I just had to see if you were dead or if I am forced to personally relieve you from duty myself.” The alicorn glanced to the side, frowning. “Fortunately, my sister informed me that you were working adamantly on something in regards to your job. So, I am to here to check on your progress. What have you to report, Peter Parker?”

Slow to respond, Peter stammered before grabbing a pair of tongs to retrieve the shield from the hot substance. “Just a form of defense. I’ll be using a shield from now on.”

“As a form of offense and defense? That’s quite a clarity. Do you know how to wield it properly?” Luna questioned, arching a brow at the stallion.

Peter chuckled sheepishly, scratching the back of his head. “It’s… a work in progress, but I’m mostly self-taught.” The shield eventually cooled, allowing the stallion to slide a hoof behind its strap before waving it around. “I just have to see if this thing can disobey the laws of physics like its big brother used to.”

Luna shrugged, shaking her head. “That’s fine, I suppose. You seem to have an idea in mind, and your fighting style is unorthodox in its own right.” The mare cleared her throat, turning as she readied herself to depart. “Very well. Carry on, Peter Parker.”

“Wait!” Peter blurted out, causing the princess to cease in her tracks. The stallion felt a sense of trepidation swell at the center of his chest. Twilight’s words and his own doubts spiraled throughout his cranium for what seemed like eons before he eventually settled his nerve, pursing his lips. “There was something I wanted to ask you. If you’re not comfortable answering, feel free to ignore me.”

Luna blinked a response, unsure of what to make of the stallion’s hesitant tone of voice. Inhaling deeply before sighing, the alicorn’s eyes softened as she gently nodded. “Yes. Speak freely. What is on your mind?”

Peter hummed under his breath, as if contemplating his words carefully. “Do you hate it when we talk? I noticed that I tend to get on your nerves a lot.”

Taken aback, Luna’s eyes widened at the comment. The cynical side of her mind had longed for this moment. This seemed like an ample opportunity to rid herself of this pesky stallion’s presence for good. Things would be clear once more, not clouded by emotions she could never understand. Sadly, a part of herself pushed those thoughts to the side.

“While you can be something of… a nuisance, I do find your presence refreshing,” she spoke through a soft and genuine voice, much to her chagrin. Against her own wishes, she carefully approached the stallion and paused once they were hoof-lengths apart. “I have spent eons on the moon, alone with my own thoughts, and my social skills have suffered greatly because of it. I’m… not easily approachable by those around me.” The latter of her statement was barely audible, spoken through a hint of a whisper. “In spite of that, you keep me company earnestly. At the very least, I am appreciative for that.”

If her mind could scream, every being in the cosmos could’ve heard her vividly in that moment. Even now, this stallion was causing her to act differently. Luna forcefully cleared her throat, glancing to the side as a pink blush stained her cheeks. This was unprofessional, but she had good faith in herself not to fail twice. To do so would stand as a mockery to everything she had established in her time as a princess and ruler.

“I have another question to ask,” Peter asked, raising a hoof and holding mere inches from his face. Luna’s head hesitantly nodded, prompting the stallion to exhale. “We’re from different worlds. Does that bother you about me?” His eyes softened. “You’re a princess, and the last thing you need is for a dork from Queens to weigh you down. You’re practically born in the sky, an angel in the clouds, and I’m just some ordinary guy on the ground reaching above his head.”

Inwardly, Luna’s mind dwelled on the question. This was a chance at redemption, one that the princess had sought. It seemed as if Peter’s doubts were echoing her own pessimism. Feelings could not rise between them. They were of different species from parallel words, and she had her duties as the Moon’s Guardian.

Peter’s confidence had finally wavered, a sign of weakness not suited for a knight, and Luna could not tolerate such a thing from one that was meant to represent her. This practically wrote itself as to how it couldn’t work. All Luna had to do was just echo the sentiment and confirm the stallion’s doubt verbally. Sadly, the alicorn’s own mind and will betrayed her once more at a stirring feeling inside of her.

Luna felt her chest tighten while the temperature in her face rose. “You consider me an angel?” Her tone was light, spoken with a gentle yet surprised air. It seemed as if the voice in the back of her head had grown mute. She could only focus on the kind words Peter spoke, a given complement for one who didn’t deserve it. Shaking her head, Luna brushed a hoof through her mane, narrowing her softened gaze on the stallion. “You are too modest, yet your words are genuinely spoken. Thank you.”

Blinking, Peter chuckled nervously. “I mean it, it’s the truth. You have the wings and grace of an angel. It’s easy to get the two mixed up.”

Slow to respond, Luna stared intently at the stallion, leaning on his words. Fortunately, she freed herself from her self-induced trance before forcefully clearing her throat. “I-I am a princess. I have a sense of dignity to maintain! You are horribly misguided as usual.” She deeply frowned at the stallion, unable to rid the pink blush from her face. Luna glanced to the side momentarily. “In regards to our species’ divide, it is there, but I care not for such a thing. Your heart is pure, and that’s all that matters.”

Peter’s eyes widened before a hopeful smile formed on his features. “Hold on. So, you really do like me?”

“O-of course not!” Luna hastily blurted out, her voice cracking. “I never said any such thing! You are a nuisance in need of pity! I only tolerate you out of pity! Nothing more.”

Peter edged closer to the mare, arching a brow. “Are you sure?”

For the first time in her life, Luna was pushed on the defensive. Her mouth had betrayed her mind twice already, yielding to the sporadic emotional side she had long buried eons ago. Luna could not risk saying something she’d regret. Magical particles from the atmosphere channeled into her horn before she sharply turned her head in the stallion’s direction. Peter’s cranium rang in response, causing him to instinctively raise his shield as the mare unloaded a barrage of beams at him before he shrieked involuntarily. The defense managed to deflect every shot, yet the force of each beam pushed his frame back until he was pinned against the wall.

Eventually, Luna yielded her assault before marching out of the room in a huff, her face still flushed. “Commendable work on your shield. I see it performs adequately.”

Peter hesitantly peeked an eye over the shield, chuckling nervously as the surrounding dust thinned out. “Well, somebody’s defensive.” A low sigh escaped from the stallion’s mouth before he managed a smile. “I guess that means I just might have a chance then, but I’ll need a little help from somepony that knows Moonbutt better.” He paused, tapping a hoof against the shield once an idea came to mind. “Of course! Her sister! Duh!”


Elsewhere, Celestia sorted through an array of documents with a furrowed brow. In all of her many years as princess of Equestria, she was never fond of the responsibilities regarding paperwork. While not outright difficult, it proved to be tedious, if only due to the thorough reading of each document required. Celestia possessed the endurance and patience to carry on without difficulty, but she still appreciated a break if it was presented properly.

Fortunately, as if the very heavens heard her plea, Peter peeked his head into the door of the archives before holding his gaze on the alicorn. “Hey, Princess Celestia. Do you have a minute?”

Celestia managed a smile as her horn glowed, hastily yet cleanly shuffling the documents into two separate stacks on the table. “Of course, Peter. There’s no need for you to be formal when it’s just the two of us. Just ‘Celestia’ will suffice,” she gently affirmed, earning a relieved sigh from the stallion. Once Peter had fully entered the room and closed the door behind him, Celestia simply nodded. “Your timing is impeccable. There was something that I wanted to discuss with you as well.”

Peter’s eyes widened at the comment. “Really? What’s going on?”

“I know you’re still in the transition of adjusting from Ponyville to Canterlot. I imagine it’s a lot to take in so suddenly,” Celestia stated, furrowing her brow. “That’s why I wished to ask how your departure from Ponyville went. You’ve been relatively quiet about it, and Twilight avoided the subject in our last letter. Did something happen?”

A somber expression surfaced on the stallion’s face. “It sounds like Twilight is still upset with me.” Inhaling deeply before sighing, Peter scratched the back of his head before glancing to the side. “Well, apparently Twilight’s had a crush on me for a while, and she really didn’t want me to leave Ponyville. I told her that I was flattered, but I didn’t feel the same way. We could still be friends. However, that didn’t go so well. Twilight… hated that.” The stallion soon shrugged and forced a laugh. “Let’s just say that I should stay away from Ponyville for a while.”

Slow to respond, Celestia pursed her lips before nodding. “Ah, I see. That certainly explains a lot.” The alicorn paused, shifting her gaze to the window across the room. “Twilight has only been studying friendship in Ponyville for over a year now, and she has yet to fully grasp how that works. Love is a tremendous step up from friendship, and it can overwhelm anypony, even one with a lifespan such as mine.”

“Yeah, but still…” Peter trailed off, failing to find the appropriate words.

Celestia shook her head. “Don’t blame yourself. I’ve noticed that’s a trend with you. You accept the blame for every little thing that goes wrong, even if it’s out of your control. However, all things considered, I believe you handled the situation about as well as you could.” The alicorn returned her gaze to the stallion. “This is something new to Twilight. Love is rewarding, yet devastating at the same time, but this experience will help her grow. Just give her some time.”

Peter’s eyes softened at the comment, but he managed a smile, nodding. “I hope you’re right.”

The corner of Celestia’s mouth curled into a knowing smirk. “I must ask. You must’ve had a good reason for turning down my pupil. Why is that? Could it be that somepony else has your eye?”

Peter’s complexion paled as a bead of sweat fell from his forehead. “Um, yeah. That’s actually what I wanted to talk with you about.” The stallion forced the lump in his throat down with a swallow. His heart rate increased, threatening to burst from his chest. “I know it’s probably a bad idea, and I don’t want to get exiled from Equestria. I mean, I just got here, and I don’t want to ruin a good thing all because I like someone I probably shouldn’t.” He glanced off to the side. “Is it hot in here? Am I talking a lot? I can’t seem to shut up when I’m nervous. I could really be--”

Celestia raised a hoof and chuckle, prompting the stallion to cease his rambling. “Peter. You have a crush on my sister, don’t you?”

Blinking, the stallion’s widened gaze lowered to the ground as his face burned. “I guess it is pretty obvious.” As if a realization came to mind, Peter’s ears perked. “Is this where I get the big sister talk where you scold me into submission?”

The alicorn let out a hearty laugh, shaking her head with a smile. “I don’t think that will be necessary in your case. You’re trustworthy and handsome enough.”

Peter raised his head, looking to the alicorn bewildered. “Hold on. Does that mean you’re okay with it?”

Her smile remaining intact, Celestia arched a brow. “Why would I not be okay with it?”

Peter raised a hoof objectively. “Well, for one thing, I’m not from your world to begin with, and I’m not even royalty. I figured there was a law stating that a princess must be married to a prince, or something like that.” The stallion’s eyes shot open at his choice of words, causing the flush on his face to deepen from a light pink shade to a deep crimson tone. “N-not that I want to marry Luna already! It’s way too soon! I haven’t even taken her out to dinner yet, although I would totally love to!” His complexion paled further, leaving his fur to resemble ice. “Why am I still talking? I’m just saying whatever comes to mind and--”

“Peter. Relax,” Celestia chuckled, leaning forward from her seat with her usual collected posture. “You’ve more than earned our trust at this point. I wouldn’t have offered you knighthood otherwise.” The alicorn paused momentarily, holding her smile. “My sister is quite taken with you. Quite frankly, I’m just happy to see her opening up to somepony. She can come off as a touch… prickly to those around her at first.”

Pausing, Peter inhaled deeply before letting out a relieved sigh. “Oh, good. I thought that Luna hated me most of time. Has she always been like that?”

Dismayed, Celestia shook her head. “Sadly, yes. Luna has never been social, by any stretch of the word. If anything, I’ve been her only true friend, and to this day, she doesn’t know how to embrace her intimate side.” The alicorn pursed her lips. “Luna is a kind-hearted pony, but everypony has ostracized her over the eons. She’s been alone, and I believe that she’s just… too used to it. This has led her to not being very honest or upfront about her more personal thoughts and feelings. That’s why she’s very resistant toward you. She just… doesn’t know how to let you in.”

“Would it be better if I just leave her alone?” Peter questioned, his voice filled with concern.

Celestia practically jumped from her seat, edging closer to Peter in a flash until they were mere hoof-lengths apart. “Of course not! Luna loves your company!” she exclaimed, towering over the stallion’s considerably shorter frame. Realizing how compromised Peter was, Celestia cleared her throat and backed away. “Anyway. Just stay the course, and give my sister some time. Eventually, Luna will open up to you. I assure that you will know when she’s ready. Until then, remain confident and just be yourself.”

As if a weight had been lifted from his shoulders, Peter nodded and smiled. “Okay. I’ll keep the pace. Hopefully, Luna won’t kill me before the end of it.”

“She won’t. I know my sister, and I can tell that you’re getting through to her,” Celestia politely yet firmly affirmed, glancing to the side momentarily. “But that doesn’t mean I can’t help give her a push.” The alicorn retrieved a scroll from underneath the table via magic, doing the same for a quill. “I can make a recommendation. Afterward, I’ll leave the rest to you.”

Peter tilted his head to the side. “A recommendation? To what?”

“A dinner date,” Celestia replied, levitating the letter to the stallion. Once Peter accepted the scroll, the alicorn grinned. “Be sure to show my sister a good time. Go ask her right now.”

“Wait. Now?!” Peter blurted out, blinking. “Isn’t she asleep right now?”

Celestia shrugged. “Perhaps, but you can catch her off guard with a sudden request. If you wait until night, she’ll find an excuse to not go.”

Peter forced the lump in his throat down with a swallow. “But she shot at me earlier. A lot. I’m pretty sure that she’s still bound to be trigger happy.”

The alicorn waved a hoof dismissively. “That’s only because you had a shield. Leave it in your quarters. Luna won’t attack somepony that isn’t armed.”

Groaning under his breath, Peter stared at the princess with a bemused expression. “You’re too nonchalant about this. I feel like a lamb being led to the slaughter.” The stallion exhaled, walking out of the room. “Okay, but if I get injured, I want my insurance to cover it.”

Celestia’s smile only widened. “He is just so delightful. I’m understanding more and more why you’re falling for him, Luna.”


Several minutes had passed, and the journey to Luna’s quarters was relatively quick. However, Peter simply stared at her door for what seemed like eons. A pair of guards stood with their backs turned at the end of the hall, each holding their stern gazes at the windows near their position while on patrol. Throwing caution to the wind, Peter knocked on the door with a blank expression. Nopony dared to approach Luna’s quarters for good reason, especially during the early hours of a day. It was no different than a death sentence, yet Peter was the one pony in Equestria stupid enough to chance fate.

To no one’s surprise, the door swung open before Luna stomped out, snarling at the stallion. “Who dares disturb my-- Peter?” Luna peeped, her booming voice dissipating to a squeak instantly. Brushing the sleep from her eyes with a hoof, the alicorn groaned under her breath, but her posture lightened, evident by her softened gaze once she settled it on the stallion. However, a mild glare resurfaced quickly. “Why are you here? We have to work tonight. You should be in your quarters resting by now.”

Peter inhaled deeply before letting out a relieved sigh. “Thanks for not shooting me on sight.”

Suddenly, the alicorn’s horn glowed while an exasperated glare formed on her features. “I’ll have you know that I’m still contemplating it. Whether I shoot or not depends on your explanation for disturbing me at such an hour.”

Stammering about, Peter raised his hooves defensively. “Simple reason, really!” The temperature in his cheeks rose, evident by the pink flush he bore. Retrieving the letter from his knapsack, Peter politely offered it to the alicorn. “I’ve managed to get an invitation to the Rose Diner, and I… uh, wondered if it would be okay if we went together. Like, on a… date.”

It felt as if the entire world grew silent enough for a pin drop to be heard. Luna’s eyes widened as her mouth fell agape. Peter slammed his eyes shut, waiting for the inevitable blast to wipe him from existence. However, the alicorn hesitantly pulled the letter from the stallion’s grasp. Peter opened an eye, noticing the deep blush glowing on the alicorn’s dark fur as she read the letter intently.

“How brazen,” Luna whispered, glancing to the side. Her heart felt light, threatening to drift into the clouds. Her mind screamed to take a stand against this lunacy, yet its voice couldn’t be heard behind the butterflies frolicking in Luna’s stomach. She had no defense. Again, she was left to her emotional instruments. Eventually, Luna nodded. “I… Thank you. I accept your proposal.”

Peter’s head fell to the side in a tilt, cracking his neck. “Wait. Really?” Ecstatic, the stallion bounced in place. “Awesome! It’s a date! We’ll go tomorrow night! I'll give you a chance to gather yourself!” Oblivious, Peter waved before trotting off. “See you tonight!”

Luna stared at the stallion as he walked into the distance, unsure of what to make of what just happened. However, the corner of the alicorn’s mouth curled into a smile as she brushed a hoof through her mane. She closed the door to her quarters, delving into the flurrying vortex that was her train of thought. Meanwhile, the two guards standing at the end of hallway exchanged glances, with one stallion placing a pair of bits into his cohort’s waiting hoof.

“I told you she’d say ‘yes,’” he chuckled, placing the bits underneath his armor.

The other knight grumbled, rolling his eyes. “She’ll still blast him. It’s not a matter of if but when. Just you watch.”

To be continued...