• Published 17th Dec 2016
  • 868 Views, 21 Comments

Sleep's Embrace - Lise



When Rarity starts to avoid sleep in order to meet her deadlines, Sleep decides to intervene.

  • ...
2
 21
 868

Chapter 3

Rarity didn't say a word during the entire trip to her boutique. Whenever someone would greet her, she'd smile, nod politely, and trot on. It tore my heart watching her act that way, all because of that single moment I had appeared. The only spark of joy I had was that she had taken my present—card, bow, wrapping and all. I could only dream that it meant something to her.

As Rarity arrived home, she flipped the boutique’s sign to closed before continuing on to the kitchen. The provisions she had bought were neatly arranged in their places—always on top of shelves and high cupboards, far out of reach of Sweetie Belle—and the saddlebags in the corner. My gift was put on the table to stay on its lonesome, while she thoroughly washed the fruits and vegetables she had purchased. Some she transformed in a quick snack that she took with her in the working area. Then she started working. The remaining two dresses of her order took priority. Energized by Twilight's wake-me-up spell, Rarity worked twice as fast. What took her an hour this morning, she managed to do in half. I watched her merge together cloth into a thing of beauty, only to undo it time and time again until she found herself satisfied with the result.

By the late afternoon, she had nearly finished with the ensemble and she shifted her focus to the final touches that would make her work stand out even more. Ever once in awhile she would look at the clock, a new concern added to her list—Her sister. It wasn't rare for Sweetie Belle to arrive late, yet it wasn't uncommon for her to get hurt either. Back when Sweetie was searching for her cutie mark, Rarity would visit the hospital several times per week when her sister needed to be treated for scrapes, bruises, and even a broken bone on a few occasions. She'd pace in the corridor, worried, and blame herself for failing to be to her sister what her parents weren't. Then, when everything was over, she’d hug her tightly as if it were the end of Equestria, and treat her to ice cream at Sugarcube Corner.

"Mrreow." Rarity's feline rubbed against her legs, as she did when she wanted door or affection.

"Yes, Opalescence." Rarity smiled, although her thoughts were elsewhere. "I'll make your favourite right away. Just excuse me for a teensy moment more."

The cat was in a good mood, so it led the comment pass, returning to its pillow where it began licking its paws. Rarity put the final gems on her dresses, gave them one last critical glance, then rushed into the kitchen. There she took out a bowl and whisk from the cupboard, along with two bottles of milk from the fridge. Accustomed to perfection, she seldom bought cream, instead preferring to make it herself. While she did, her thoughts lingered on her sister. Sunset was approaching and there was still no sign of Sweetie Belle.

"I expect she's out playing with her friends," she said out loud in an effort to calm herself down. "There's nothing I should be concerned about, really." The smile that appeared on her face was forced. "Sweetie's a grown girl. She's proven she's perfectly capable of taking care of herself." The whisk moved furiously around, almost spilling a few drops of milk out from the bowl. "Don't you think?"

The question made me freeze. Never in my existence had I been so at a loss for words. This was the first time Rarity had ever spoken to me. Seconds passed. I swooped down, invisible, standing by her side. I wanted to talk to her, I wanted to explain so much, but Twilight's spell had put her out of reach. Widening my ears, I waited in the hope that she would address me once more... but that never came. Rarity finishing making cream, added a punch of sugar—after tasting it, of course—and went to bring her pet the dessert.

"There you go, Opal." Rarity smiled, though her eyes darted nervously up at the clock.

I'm sure everything is all right, my lovely Rarity thought, as she started work on the design for Pinkie Pie's official party attire. Fancy Pants is keen on white, but that is so last season as far as Canterlot is concerned, she reasoned with herself, coloured pencils forming a sketch on a sheet of paper. Over a quarter of an hour, she'd scribble, until inspiration hit her. Casting all versions on the floor, she would start anew. This time there would be method in her madness—seemingly unrelated lines would merge together, forming a creation never seen before.

Finished, Rarity would then put it on her work table face down and go to have a quick bite. If there were guests visiting, she'd spare no time or effort in making some of her delectable cucumber sandwiches. Since it was just her, however, she grabbed some crackers, garnish them with parsley, and start munching in small bites. As she stood in the kitchen, she glanced at the box I had given her.

I might as well, I heard her think. Taking a larger bite than normal, Rarity levitated the box next to her and opened it. Three diamonds held together by a single strand of platinum shines as blue as time itself. There was no doubt in my mind she could see their beauty. The faintest of smiles formed on Rarity’s face, a warm smile. Her hoof reached to take the necklace out if its case.

BAM!

The door burst open. Leaving the box and cracker to fall to the ground, Rarity rushed out of the kitchen. There she froze, staring in horror as her worst fear had come true.

"Hello, sis," Sweetie Belle sniffled, and Rarity could see she was fighting to hold back tears. Her mane was messy, and her forelegs were covered in scars. "I... I'm gonna skip dinner ton—"

Rarity didn't let her sister finish, pulling her into a tight hug. Sweetie Belle remained still for a few seconds, then clung firmly to her, crying into Rarity's fur.

"There, there, Sweetie," Rarity whispered. "You don't have to say a thing." I could feel Rarity's fear, and her hurt, but I could also see her relief. "Just relax, and—"

"I got into a fight," the filly sobbed. "I wanted to be nice, but then he said..." She paused to take a few short sniffling breaths. "...and I... I didn't want to. I really like him, but..."

"Say no more, darling." Rarity looked at her sister, whiling off the tears from her face. This wasn't the first time Sweetie had been in a fight, but each time Rarity reacted the very same way. "Remember what I told you? A lady does not concern herself with—"

"But I'm not a lady!" New tears poured down the filly's cheeks. "You are. I'm just your little sister."

"And that is precisely why I work so hard on keeping my own appearance in top form," Rarity stated with absolutely certainty. A short distance away, Opalescence meowed in vague agreement. "When I was your age, I had barely found my calling, let alone doing something as remarkable as helping ponies find their cutie marks. I know you're upset and hurting right now, but trust me, there's nothing a little ice cream wouldn't fix."

Sweetie Belle accepted reluctantly, as she always would, and followed her sister into the kitchen. A few minutes were spent in silence. Sweetie Belle looked as Rarity took out a bowl of ice cream, then started, dragging her hoof back and forth along the table.

"Rarity, do you think I'm pretty?" the filly asked, making her sister nearly choke. "I mean..." Sweetie visibly struggled for words, her mouth hanging open for a moment. "Ugh… nevermind." She took a bite of her ice cream, ears flopped down.

So it is that time. Rarity sighed. I could tell it was something she wished wouldn’t happen until much later.

"Listen to me, Sweetie." Rarity sat beside her sister. "I know that at the moment, probably nothing makes sense. One moment you feel happy, the next sad, the next angry at everything around you." Sweetie Belle looked at her, eyes wide, eating more if the ice cream. "It's normal. All fillies go through this. In time it'll become all clear and you'll remember if this talk and laugh."

"But when?" Sweetie Belle sniffled. "How long do I have to wait until it becomes clear? Am I pretty... or am I disgusting? How can I tell? How can other ponies tell?" A drop of ice cream fell from her mouth onto the table.

"It'll certainly take less time than it took you to get your cutie mark." Rarity levitated a napkin and wiped the spot on the table. "It'll be far more confusing, though." She sighed, and made herself another cucumber cracker. "Just remember one thing. You are my magnificent little sister."

"I know. And, as everything in Carousel Boutique, I’m fashionably perfect." Sweetie attempted a chuckle.

"See, you understand already." Rarity winked, taking another bite from her snack. "Now, why don't you get another bowl of ice cream and then get some rest?"

"Fiiine," Sweetie Belle said, grabbing the bowl closer. "Oh, and there's another letter for you." The filly levitated it out of her saddlebag. "It was lying on the porch."

Rarity didn't react—visibly, at least. With her usual calm demeanor, she levitated the letter onto the shelf. Without a word Rarity patted her sister on the head and went to the fridge to fetch another serving of ice cream.

"You'll remember to brush your teeth before bed, won't you?" she asked, as she began to clean what little there was in the kitchen.

Sweetie Belle nodded, continuing with her dessert. The first bowl was licked clean, with some effort the second soon followed. I watched Rarity hug her sister and wish her goodnight. The filly was so tired she could barely keep standing. Not Rarity, though... never Rarity. The magnificent unicorn remained in the kitchen, then—once she was certain there were no prying eyes—she opened the envelope.

Why won't you be with me?

I waited. Rarity read and re-read the note for over a minute. Once finished, she folded it away and set it aside, placing it on the top shelf along with my other letter. Without a word to acknowledge my existence, the unicorn went back to work.

Throughout the entire night, she toiled to make the perfect outfit. In the morning, the daily cycle would start again: she would prepare breakfast for her sister, have a small talk—which Sweetie Belle would completely ignore—then send her off to school. Pinkie Pie came exactly five minutes later, hopping to see her party dress. She stared at the mannequin, examining every detail until Rarity lost her nerve. It was only then that Pinkie grabbed it, thanked the unicorn with one of her suffocating hugs, and rushed to catch the train to Canterlot.

I watched in silence as Rarity started packaging the dresses for their destination. When she was halfway through, there was a knock at the door. I could tell what would happen before she even opened: another request, another opportunity that couldn't be missed, and another deadline. Rarity would panic, possibly even faint or cry, but she would accept it as always then get back to work. Her weekly schedule would change so as to accommodate her new workload: a few meetings would be postponed, the visits to the spa—limited, and once again she'd have no time for me. Yet this time I persisted.

Every evening for a week I'd send a letter, placing it on her doorstep. Every night I'd watch her read it. Sometimes she'd smile, sometimes she'd even talk to me, not suspecting I was right beside her. Sometimes I would dare hope she'd finally finished with her excuses, that she would finally stop rejecting me. That time never came. And although Twilight's wake-up spell became weaker and weaker, Rarity would carry on.

One afternoon, I could take it no more. Rarity had just sent her latest batch of clothes to her client in Manehattan. Overjoyed, she ran up the stairs to start work on a new Princess Cadence design. This time, I didn't let her.

My mane filled the boutique like a fine mist, enveloping the unicorn as she walked. I knew that my embrace couldn't make her mine, but it was strong enough to get her to stumble. For a split second, Rarity stepped into the world of semi-consciousness. Finally, we could talk. I grabbed her with my mane, snatching her off the stairs and bringing her softly down to the living room floor.

"Hello, Rarity," I said coldly, shrinking my mane back to normal pony size. I could have left her standing up, but I was too upset to grant her comfort. Since she rejected me, the floor was a perfectly fine spot for her to lie on.

Who are you? Where am I? She looked around in near panic. This must be a dream. Yes, I'm just having another—

"You haven't dreamt in months, Rarity." I looked away, avoiding her gaze. "You haven't slept in months." I sounded more hurt that I should have. There was no reason for her, a simple pony, to invoke such feelings in me... and yet...

"Excuse me?" I felt her come back to her senses. "It is generally impolite to discuss a lady's sleep." Pride mixed with a touch of guilt. "And I would have you know that I have been sleeping just fine. Well, maybe my schedule has been a bit on the unstable side for the last few days, but—"

"You haven't slept in ninety-nine days," I stated flatly, looking her straight in the eye. "And fourteen hours," I added out of spite.

I expected her to respond with one of her snarky comebacks. Stars, I had seen her do that so many times I had lost count. She didn't. Instead, her expression changed from anger to concern. As she looked at me with her large sad eyes, I felt something inside me tingle.

"Have you been crying?" Rarity asked, her voice ringing with tender concern.

"No." I extended my mane over my face. How dare she! She pushes me away all this time, and now she dares act concerned?!

"Darling, if something has happened, it's best to let others know." I felt her hoof on my shoulder. Her touch made me tremble. This was the first time a pony, a creature, had touched me so openly. "Why don't you sit down? I'll make a nice cup of cocoa and we could discuss everything."

I never expected this. I had spent weeks planning this conversation. I thought I had gone through every detail. One minute in her presence, and I could see how wrong I was.

"You're too generous," I said, trying not to pout.

"Darling, please," she laughed, making her way to the kitchen. "It's the least I could do—"

"For rejecting me?" I asked. Instantly, I felt like biting my lip. It was a horrible thing to say, especially to her. Yes, she had done that to me, and yes, I was upset, but I had also grown to… to love her. “For avoiding me,” I corrected. My mane glowed with a soft, morning pink.

"Rejecting you?" Rarity turned around, confusion on her face. "Darling, if I have done so, I am truly sorry, but I don't believe we have met before." She took a few steps forward, each making me feel uneasy. "Was it in Manehattan during fashion week? Or maybe Canterlot?"

I sighed. "I'm Sleep."

"Oooh. Sleep!" She nodded. I could see her racking her mind, desperately trying to remember me. Naturally she wouldn't; she had never seen me. Nopony had. Since the beginning of time, I had no reason to make my presence known. My only task was to take beings into the realm of dreams when they so needed it. It was easy. Even the most stubborn succumbed to my charms…

Until Rarity, that is.

"I’m Sleep," I repeated, my voice slightly more authoritative. "The same you have been avoiding for the last three months!"

"Darling, it is nice you think so highly of me, but—"

Before she could finish, I extended my mane. The room filled with yellowy-pink strands of hair. With little effort I scooped her up into the air, bringing along her mannequins, her cat, her tables, and everything else with n the room. The action brought me some small satisfaction; watching Rarity gasp at my powers, seeing the confusion that went through her mind, I could feel I had managed to impress her. I kept her there for a full five seconds before I let her down again.

You're really Sleep? I heard her think.

"Yes, I am."

Have I really been skipping sleep for three months? I could have sworn that I had a nice long rest only a few days ago, right after I finished—

"No, you haven't." I didn't let her finish. Why did I do that? I wasn't supposed to get this upset. I wasn't supposed to get upset at all. "You only allowed a slight embrace before pushing me away and going back to your stupid dresses!" Stupid? Why did I use that word?

"Well, now!" She huffed, raising her chin. "If you're going to be uncivilized about it, you might as well leave."

"I don't want to leave!" I felt tears of sand roll down my face. "I just..." I sniffed. Why couldn't I think of any words to say? It's this stupid pony form! It must be! I was perfect! Everyone loved me! "Every night I'd come to you. I was there in your time of need. When everyone, even your closest friends, ignored you. They took you for granted, and I didn't! And you still never let me help you. Please. A few hours. That's all I ask. Just a few hours with me..." I stared at the floor. Drops of sand fell down, forming small piles at my hooves.

She didn't say anything. I expected her to feel contempt; I expected to hear ridicule.

"Tell you what, let's sit on the couch," Rarity said softly. "I know I have a busy schedule, but I could spend a few minutes to talk things out."

"Okay," I sniffed. I looked back up at her, and I could see concern in her eyes. Yet even now she was rejecting me.

We walked to her couch—soft red velvet. I lay down first, taking up nearly two-thirds of it. Rarity sat beside me. Her discomfort was apparent, yet her resolve held firm.

"So, how was your day today?" she asked casually. I looked at her. Was this what she wanted? To talk about trivialities until I left again? "Hmm, I suppose that was a stupid question." She tapped her chin with a hoof. "What I really wanted to ask was what being Sleep is really like."

She was lying. What she really wanted to know was why I showed interest in her. Despite all her generosity, Rarity still remained a vain mare.

...Vain in a good way.

"I first noticed you when you skipped a week," I said quietly. "During your autumn collection frenzy. It had been a while since a pony rejected my embrace for so long."

"Oh, don't remind me, darling." Rarity cringed. "Tireless nights of crafting the perfect design, and for what? An honorable mention. I thought I'd die of shame."

I nodded. "You did. And then spent the next two days locked in your room eating ice cream."

"Weeeell, I might have indulged in a few spoonfuls," she said evasively, her cheeks turning slightly pink. The reaction made me smile. "We all have our dark moments." My smile vanished. Everyone had their dark moments, and mine was now.

"I tried to be with you then, to give you the reward you deserved." My voice was weaker than before. This was not at all the light I wanted her to see me in. I was supposed to be powerful, authoritative. "Instead, you ran to Twilight and tricked her into casting an insomnia spell on you."

Rarity said nothing. In her mind I could see she understood exactly what she had done. So, this is what you meant? Each time I avoided sleep, I avoided you. Every night I spent working to make a deadline, I hurt you...

"I’m sorry, darling. Truly, I didn't know..."

"At first I took it as a challenge." I didn't want to stop. Something urged me to say it all, regardless of the consequences. If anypony should see me in my darkest hour, it was her. "I teased you, I kissed you, I wrapped you in my mane dozens of times, waiting for you to succumb, but you never did. Despite everything, I couldn't coax you into my embrace." I must have seemed pathetic, because I felt Rarity place her hoof on my back. "Each time I would come close something would happen. A telegram would come announcing a new contest, or a friend would rush in, crying for you to make a dress in a day, or your cat would start screaming for attention, or your sister would—"

"Yes, they do tend to be rather demanding," Rarity interjected. Her thoughts made me crack a smile through the tears. She was unconsciously trying to determine which was a greater nuisance: Opalescence or Sweetie Belle.

"After a month, I only had eyes for you. I would always be nearby, there but invisible, so close and yet so far away." I sniffed. "I wanted to embrace you, to be with you... yet you never tired."

"Please, darling, you're making me blush," she laughed, trying to brush it off—but I knew it was an act.

"You never tired," I repeated. "Never ever. I was there. I watched, and waited, and hoped, and..." I couldn't force myself to say it. For once I wished that Rarity could read minds. I felt so powerless. I put every creature in Equestria to sleep and I still felt powerless! Tears started rolling down like rivers of sand. "You really messed things up, Rarity..."

"Well, I..." Rarity stopped. For a single instant, both her voice and mind went silent. There was nothing she could say to that. How could she possibly comprehend the consequences to her actions? She, a mortal mare, had made me want something to such an extent that I had gained a form in the physical world. "You sent the letters, didn't you?" she asked, her hooves stroking my mane in an attempt to make me feel better. "You wanted me to notice you."

I didn't need words to let her know that was the case.

"Darling..." She let out a bittersweet sigh. "I really am touched by all of this, honestly, but I just have so much work. I didn't mean to act this way, and I truly love my sleep. It's just that circumstances, being what they are, made it impossible."

My head dropped on the couch. Rejected again, just as I knew I would be. She cared, yet not enough. Sleep always took a backseat to the trivialities of daily life. At least we got to have this talk.

"Still—" I felt her head rest on my side. The sensation made my mane twirl. "—I suppose I could spend five minutes with you. After all, you did take time from your busy schedule just to come here."

Her words shimmered in a incandescent white, gentler than the echoes of sound itself. How could there be so much wonder, so much magnificent fascination in a single pony?

I smiled. You never change, Rarity. You find time to help anyone who asks, constantly at the expense of yourself.

"Rarity..." I whispered, as she finally embraced me, after all this time.


It was morning when Rarity woke up. Stretching with a healthy yawn, she opened a sleepy eye, then closed it back again. A few moments were spent in painless bliss. Then, the pressure of deadlines kicked in. Her mind exploded with tasks, times, and dates. Like a true lady, she got off the couch with dignity and looked around.

"Sleep?" she asked. There was no response. "Sleep, are you still upset with me? Truly, this is no way to behave. I admit that I have been neglecting you, but I did make an effort to—"

She stopped. On the floor, by her hoof, lay a single white piece of paper.

Thank you, Rarity.

Goodbye.

Comments ( 16 )

Does Spike appear in this story?

img04.deviantart.net/014e/i/2016/237/8/a/two_sleepy_by_hillbe-daf9m14.jpg

:unsuresweetie: get some!

:facehoof: I'm magical no doze

:moustache: and I'm a leather pillow

:raritywink: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZ :moustache: she snores like a chain saw :twilightoops:

Interesting read, though to be honest the Rairty/Sweetie Belle interactions could've made a fine slice of life on their own. Still good! :twilightsmile:

yet you never tired.

Tried? Or was it a pun I didn't get?


That was lovely. Just the right amount of fluff for me to reach the end with a smile and a gnawing sense of guilt over all my sleepless nights.

I like Sleep's character. Makes me wish we could have seen a bit more of him. Regarding any actual criticism I may have about the story, I feel the resolution was a bit too fast, seeing how for an 11k word story, the main conflic gets resolved within the last 8 paragraphs.

Still, I really enjoyed the story and now can't help but think of a parody where Hunger follows Rarity while she goes on a diet.

:twilightsmile:

7799755 :) Yes, tired is correct. :D
Well, here's something for you to consider next time you do an all nighter! :P
Glad you enjoyed it overall :D

You still think it fast? I considered describing the week day for day, but it became rather repetitive and boring. :( Maybe it's just me.

Hunger? That sounds as silly as "Insomniac—Sleep's ex." :P

7799694 : Thanks :)
Well, Sweetie is st that age, she also still has a temper. (And it's my theory she's not as sweet with family as she is with friends). O:)

7799686 :))) Pinkie has that effect, yes :D

7799667 And I just noticed I'm answering comments in reverse order... Sleep, why have you abandoned me?! Come back!

Rarity self-magics herself between Twilight spells. Also, she can easily make anyone do anything :) Poor Twilight cannot say no... or if she does there's Starlight :)

7799528 :) Thanks :D it was night time I finished it.
Hopefully, it addresses the concerns you have :)

7799428 :) Thanks! Glad you enjoyed. :D
Yes, the whole SB - Rarity could have been better, but it wasn't the focus, so I kept it minimalistic. Also, is scary writing a SB getting of age story :) *shiver*

7799333 :) Oh, you :P
I'm sure Rarity doesn't snore. :) And if she does it would be extremely elegant :D

7799312 :) Sadly, no.
Having him around would have shifted the focus towards (further) jealousy on Sleep's part, so I kept him away. Sorry :(

7799969 only Spike and Sweetie Belle knows...

img05.deviantart.net/0957/i/2016/230/1/6/train_wreck_by_hillbe-daeg732.jpg

A train wreck? (darn it cut Spike off) ;P

7801930 :) The theory is that it's a long term spell (lasting for a week or more). Also Twi doesn't bother to remember the real Humber since the last 3-4 times were "the last time)" :)
The amount of days that Rarity remained awake were short of 100 :)

Beautiful in the Writeoff, beautiful here. Great work emphasizing the exhaustive pace Rarity sets for herself and her beau's futile attempts to get her to cooperate. Thank you for bringing this to Fimfiction.

7847959 :D Thank you. Means a lot.

Login or register to comment