• Published 17th Dec 2016
  • 872 Views, 21 Comments

Sleep's Embrace - Lise



When Rarity starts to avoid sleep in order to meet her deadlines, Sleep decides to intervene.

  • ...
2
 21
 872

Chapter 2

In every pony's life, there comes a time when they feel invisible, unnoticed by the one they love. For me that time was now. Here I was, a step away from Rarity, watching her look right through me.

"Opalescence, did you see—" Rarity looked at her cat. It was sleeping, curled up comfortably on the floor. "Oh, but what am I thinking," she chuckled. "Get ahold of yourself, Rarity! Just one more push, and then off to Twilight."

Most ponies resorted to coffee or hot chocolate to stay awake. Never Rarity. Excess caffeine and sugar would make her hooves shake and stomach gurgle—things she would never accept. Instead, she resorted to magic. Every few weeks she would go to her friend, the Princess of Friendship, asking for a wake-me-up spell. Time would keep running, her chores would be done on time and to perfection, andher clients would be pleased, occasionally complimenting her on her work before going on with lives. None would take a moment to look at her, or notice the tiny cracks in her perfect facade.

The final stitches done, Rarity tied the end of the thread into a knot. Another dress finished, two more remained—as well as those of Pinkie Pie and Princess Cadence. Rarity glanced at her work, daring to smile. Her mind was racing, inspired by her own creations and my perfume of drowsiness. If she'd enter my embrace, I'd give her all the ideas in Equestria and beyond. Yet she never did. Placing the newly-made dress on a mannequin, she went to the bathroom to sprinkle some water on her face. I could feel her pain, her struggle. How I only wish she could feel mine.

It was mid-morning. Rarity would clean her boutique, although it was spotless, grab a very quick bite—always cucumber sandwiches with a touch of parsley—and then lock up and go outside. Even with sleepless nights and constant deadlines, she'd always spare a few hours to enjoy a pleasant trot through the open. Most often she'd walk through the park, or enjoy the calm of the lake. Today, she grabbed her saddlebags and set off for Ponyville's school to bring Sweetie Belle had her lunch yet again.

"Lovely day, Miss Rarity," the mailpony would greet her. "Are you going to Manehattan again?"

"Not this week, darling," Rarity would say, smiling as she walked past. "There's more to life than work alone." The mailpony would laugh and tip his hat before returning to his mailboxes.

Since I'm already at it, I might as well buy some provisions, Rarity thought. She checked to see if she had enough bits on her, brushed a few stray hairs of her mane into place, and trotted off to the market. She'd greet every stand owner with a smile, then meticulously go through their produce choosing the fruits and vegetables she deemed acceptable: half a basket of cherries, four cucumbers, a single golden lemon, five strawberries, a bag of lily blossoms, and several leaves of spinach. Sweetie Belle didn't like spinach, so Rarity had been forced to find ingenious ways to add it to her dishes or, failing that, use it for a facial mask.

"Well, howdy there, Rarity!" Applejack shouted as Rarity approached her stand. "Anything I could get for ya today? This season's harvest turned out mighty fine, if I say so myself. Heh."

"Why, thank you, Applejack." Rarity nodded with a polite smile. She didn't particularly like apples, but she would never refuse a friend. "Oh, goodness me. I seem to have bought quite a lot today. Maybe just one? I do apologize, darling. I promise I'll make it up to you next time."

"Shocks, Rarity, ain't that big a deal," Applejack laughed. "Tell you what." She pushed three fine apples towards the unicorn. "Just take these. From the Apple family."

"Oh, no, I couldn't." Rarity shied away, carefully using aparlance between firmness and politeness. A few bits levitated from her saddlebag onto the stall.

"Now, now, don't ya be refusin’ my hospitality." Applejack pushed the bits back. "Besides, Sweetie Belle helpin’ Apple Bloom with her homework more than covers it."

"Oh, fine," Rarity said with faux grumpiness. "But I'll be sure to tell Sweetie Belle about it. Actually, it just so happens that I'm on my way to the school right now."

"Sweetie forget her lunch again?" Applejack chuckled. Rarity sighed, levitating the apples and bits, into her saddlebags. "Don't ya worry. Fillies are bound to be forgetful-like. Why, I remember when I was her age—"

"Yes, indeed," Rarity hurried to interrupt. There were only so many hours in the day, and she had a whole lot to do before nightfall. "I do apologize, Applejack, but our talk will have to wait. I have a favour from Twilight and hope to catch her before she starts rearranging her books again. You know how she can get."

"Tell me about it." Applejack shook her head. "That mare's been busier than a one-legged cat in a sandbox."

"Yes, she does tend to get carried away at times, doesn't she." Rarity smiled politely. Not a word about her own busy schedule. "Hopefully, I'll manage to find her in a favourable disposition," she laughed softly.

"Well, good luck to ya." The joke was completely lost on Applejack. "And tell Apple Bloom I want her back home right after school. No crusader business 'til she finishes her chores!"

"Naturally. I'll be sure to be most insistent." Rarity smiled once more. "A wonderful morning to you, Applejack."

"See ya, Rarity!" The earth pony waved as Rarity trotted away.

The shoppings would weigh heavy on her, yet Rarity would never let it show. There were times before when she'd ask some stallion for help, knowing she'd receive it. Not anymore. Now she was the one helping others. I knew I was to blame for that. On the verge of my embrace, all creatures become more helpful—yet never before had one managed to remain there as long as she had.

When Rarity arrived at the school, there was nopony to greet her. No matter how many times it happened, Sweetie Belle would hide among her friends, hoping to avoid her sister's glance. Not once did it pass through the filly's head how much time Rarity was sacrificing from her schedule, nor would she consider the burden her sister had accepted agreeing to take care of her. Instead, there would be grumbling, complaints, shouts... sometimes even accusations of Rarity trying to steal her spotlight. Today was no different. Sweetie Belle and her friends were playing at the school playground. Another argument had broken out between the Cutie Mark Crusaders and Diamond Tiara, filling the air with their yells. The moment Sweetie Belle spotted her sister, however, her attitude changed. Within seconds she became as quiet as a mouse, looking around for a place to hide.

"Yoo-hoo, Sweetie Belle." Rarity waved cheerfully across the playground. "You forgot your lunch again."

"Rarity!" the filly shouted almost in desperation. "You don't have to come every time! Argh!" She stomped on the ground. "I'm on a diet," she humphed raising her chin high.

"But Sweetie Belle, I brought you your favourite." A neatly packed lunch levitated out of Rarity's saddlebag. "Carrot and rose petal sandwiches. Oh, and some divine apples for your friends from Applejack."

"Fiiine!" Sweetie Belle grumbled in place of thanks, then stomped through the playground. She couldn’t tell how much her classmates envied her. Instead, she just wished her sister gone.

"How did your class photo go?" Rarity yawned. The effects of her stay-awake spell were fading away. "Oh, pardon me." She shook her head briskly in an attempt to shake me away. She knew that if she could make it to Twilight, she'd be fully awake again. However, so did I. Wrapping her in my mane, I gently kissed her on the forehead. I knew Rarity could feel my warmth, my softness, my love... just a few more seconds and—

"Rarity!" An ear-piercing yell tore her away from me.

"Wha-huh?" Rarity jumped back into consciousness. Oh dear, she thought blushing. My apologies, Sweetie. This was so unbecoming. Thank the stars I didn't fall asleep on my hooves. I could only sigh. Yet again she had eluded me, and although I had managed to plant a kiss, I felt twice as hollow inside.

"If you're falling asleep, you shouldn't have come!" The filly grumbled, just loud enough for her sister to hear. "You're always like this! Next you'll faint and get half of Ponyville to—"

"Oh, Sweetie Belle, a lady does not faint without a reason," Rarity tried to be strict. "I—”

“You never listen to what I say!” Sweetie Belle pouted. “You’re like that all the time! With you I can never—”

“I am sorry, Sweetie. I was just admiring the lovely morning. Now, when taking the photo, it's important to remember the direction of the sun, the wind, and the camera. Remember, Sweetie Belle, all three are your friends, and if you treat them nicely they will as well."

"Rarity," the filly said through her teeth, flustered by the change of topic. It didn't help that all her classmates were looking at her.

"Oh, but what am I thinking!" Rarity covered her mouth with a hoof. "Of course the camera will treat you well.” She pinched her sister’s cheeks, only to receive another annoyed, “Argh!”. Rarity sighed. "Now go back to your friends and enjoy your lunch." She started turning around. Halfway there, she paused. A flicker of a memory called out to her, reminding of the conversation with Applejack.

"Applejack asked that Apple Bloom come home straight after school," I whispered into her ear. It wasn't something I was supposed to do, it wasn't something I had done for anypony else. "No crusading until she does her chores."

"Apple Bloom," Rarity said, stifling another yawn. "Applejack asked if you could go home directly after school today. No crusading until you do your chores."

Apple Bloom's ears drooped down.

"She was most insistent about it." Rarity shook her head, fighting to keep her eyes open.

"I understand," the filly sighed. Unlike Sweetie Belle, she respected her sister enough to listen.

"That's wonderful, dear." Rarity turned away. She didn't want the schoolfoals to see her in such a condition. "Remember to look darling for your photo!"

Not expecting thanks, Rarity rushed off towards Twilight's castle in a hurried canter. All the way her mind would continue working on dress design ideas. Would Cadence look better in a veil dress? Or would a more sporting mini suit her better? Question after question moved her closer to the castle. I was beside her every step of the way. Yet with every step she she moved further and further away from me. By the time we reached the castle, I could feel she had shrugged me off once more.

"Twi—" Rarity started a yawn, covering her mouth in part with a forehoof "—light." She knocked gently on the door. "Twilight, a moment if your time, if you please?"

No answer came, as often was the case. Twilight would either be in her library, or spending time with her student. Rarity, however, had too much class to allow herself to enter in such uncivilized fashion. After a respectable amount of time, she knocked again, this time slightly louder. Four out of five times Spike would appear around this time, rushing after in a clumsy attempt to impress her. He'd open the door, ask the same questions, make the same compliments, then follow Rarity like a puppy to where Twilight was. Not today, though.

"Twilight, darling, are you there?" Rarity knocked yet again, as etiquette demanded. This time the door swung open.

"Rarity?" Starlight Glimmer, Princess Twilight's prized people, popped outside. "Were you here long?"

"Not at all, darling," Rarity lied. "I take it this isn't a good time?"

"Oh, thank the stars! I was busy trying out a new spell and..." Starlight directly went into a complicated and completely useless explanation. Any pony would have cut her off, yet Rarity patiently waited for her to finish, a brave smile on her face. "You're probably here to see Twilight?" she asked several minutes later, once the topic was exhausted.

"Quite right, darling." Rarity nodded. "Might you be a dear and fetch her for me?"

"Oh, Rarity," Starlight laughed waving a hoof. "You don't have to be so formal with me. Just give me a moment, I'll go fetch her."

"Thank you greatly, dar—" Rarity stopped mid-word. On the steps, right next to her, she noticed a moderately large indigo box wrapped in a gleaming ribbon.

I could have sworn this wasn't here a moment ago, she thought. Maybe Starlight left it? Yet there was no trace of Starlight—just the echo of distant hooves moving down the corridor. Curious, Rarity took a closer look. The box was slightly bigger than a picnic basket, finely crafted and of perfect proportions. The whole outside was covered in fabric—not paper like most ponies had the habit of using—made of fine starspider silk. It was quite exquisite, in the eyes of a connoisseur.

Trottingham lace? Rarity examined the ribbon. It too was made of fabric, and held at the top something that made the unicorn's eyes widen in astonishment. There, at the very top, attached to the bow, was an indigo card with Rarity's name written in elegant white letters.

Why would anypony leave a gift for me here? Rarity wondered, circling the package. She wound it unconceivable to the point she believed it to be a dream or hallucination. Gently, the unicorn levitated the ribbon off and unwrapped the packaging, revealing an ebony box. Before Rarity could open it, however, a purple bubble light flashed a few steps away from her.

"Rarity!" Twilight Sparkle almost shouted as she appeared on the scene. Her mane was messy, the feathers of her left wing in complete disarray. It wasn't difficult to see she had spent the night awake working on another project. It wasn't unusual for her to skip a week of sleep every now and then, but nowhere nearly as much as my Rarity. "I'm sorry I—"

"Good heavens, Twilight!" Rarity almost fainted on the spot. "You simply cannot walk out in the open like that! Come, let me fix that disaster!"

"Huh?" Twilight blinked. Her mouth remained open for a few seconds.

"Your mane, darling." Rarity pulled the princess somewhat forcefully down the stairs. "Come along, we must fix this catastrophe before more ponies fall victim to the hideous sight."

"Hey! I'll have you know that—"

Twilight wasn't able to finish her sentence before her mane was suddenly wrapped in a Rarity's magic. Sturdier than brushes, more precise than combs, hundreds of tiny aether threads swept through the alicorn's mane and feathers, gently but firmly straightening them and them back in order. The mane foundations done, a brush materialized for the final touch to bring the experience to an end.

"Much—" Rarity yawned again "—better, darling. You were saying?" She turned to Twilight with a confident smile.

"I was about to say that I was fine," Twilight grumbled. "Just because I spent the night in the library is no cause for—"

"Oh, please," the magnificent unicorn laughed. "You were obviously under considerable stress. Frankly, it's impressive you were able to keep such a good look despite the circumstances."

"Thanks." Twilight paused for a moment thinking on the logic of the explanation. "I guess."

"You're quite welcome." Rarity fought to remain awake. She was at the verge, yet every time I advanced she'd push me back. "My deepest apologies for cutting our talk short, but there's something of vital importance." Twilight's ears perked up. Her expression changed from annoyed to concerned. "Before I do, I'd like to ask you to keep an open mind. Could you do that for me, darling?"

"Oookay," Twilight took a step back.

"Its slight embarrassing, but could you cast a wake-me-up spell on me?"

"Rarity!" Twilight said with the intonation reserved for Spike after a mishap. "Again? This is the fourth time! That spell is quite complicated and shouldn't be overused!"

"Nonsense, darling. I remember how elegantly you did it last time," Rarity said firmly, her words accompanied by a nod. "And I really, really could use the help." She stretched her words to a semi-whine. "I'm so behind on an order I need to send to Manehattan, and I promised Pinkie Pie to have a dress ready for her in the morning. Not to mention that I simply must make a suitable attire for Princess Cadence. The poor thing has been through so much with the Crystalling of her daughter and the Crystal Empire nearing being swallowed by icy storms..."

Twilight didn't budge. Eyes narrowed, she kept glaring at Rarity waiting for her to finish, itching to speak her mind.

"And what about your own wardrobe?" Rarity shifted the topic of conversation. "All your clothes are so last season. You really don't need to wait for the gala to ask for a new dress, darling. You're an important princess now, after all."

Twilight's confidence faltered. The inner conflict was written all over her face.

"Please, Twilight. I could use the help of a friend right now." The final trump card. Sadly, it was more than true. Rarity was in need of the help of a friend; she had been for months. Every since the first night she spent working she would have welcomed assistance. She wasn't proud as Applejack, yet she'd accept help when offered—small things: fetching groceries, carrying provisions, procuring gems—yet she held such a perfect act that nopony suspected the severity of her condition. The single pony who for a moment had glimpsed under her mask and provided any real help was Twilight... and I hated her for it.

"You really mustn't replace sleep with magic, Rarity," the princess said with concern, and for once I agreed with her. "You can't go on days without sleep. I know the spell makes you think you could, but—"

"Oh, hush," Rarity laughed. If only it were days concerned, I would be fine. How would Twilight react if she knew it was a matter of months? "It's hardly that serious."

"So stubborn," I whispered gently in Rarity's ear. I knew she could hear me. "And so fascinatingly beautiful...

My Rarity's ears flicked. She turned her head to the side, trying to see me. For a moment I thought she would, yet her glance just stared right through me yet again. Ponies often said that perfection was elusive. They were absolutely right. She also was the most stubborn creature I had ever seen.

"This is the last time, all right?" Twilight asked. Naturally, Rarity nodded, her lips pursed in a slight smile. I knew she was lying. "Let me fetch my spellbook."

With a purple flash the princess was gone, leaving me alone with Rarity. I knew that in a few moments she'd be back to snatch my love away, yet those were my moments and I was going to use them to the fullest.

Rarity tilted to the side, ready to collapse on the stairs. I proper her up with my mane. I could tell she longed me, yet at the same time struggled to avoid me. Had I become nothing but a guilty pleasure to her?

"Huh?!" Her eyes widened as she finally noticed me.

The was the second time she looked upon me and I knew it would be as fleeting and bittersweet as the first. It pained me we had so little time, yet I smiled. I didn't want her to see me sad.

"For you." I opened the present I had brought for her: a diamond necklace, as blue and flawless as her cutie mark. A split second later, Twilight appeared.

...and made me fade away.