• Published 21st Dec 2016
  • 2,458 Views, 63 Comments

Fey Breeze - Masterweaver



Magic has come to the world. That doesn't mean it was always gone.

  • ...
3
 63
 2,458

Spring

Pure Vibrations was host once again to a familiar yellow nature lover, though her visit was different. A gust rattled the chimes on their shelves; the scents of the air fresheners wafted over to the center desk, where she leaned in, speaking quietly with her host.

"...and I just... I'm worried about him, Treezie. Leaving the pin behind..."

"Some people choose to walk their own path, Shy. Find something that doesn't mark them." Tree Hugger shrugged. "I know I did."

"Well, yes, but... don't take this the wrong way. I remember that you were... very worried about it. You spent a whole week, just... talking to your icon. Even after you made your decision, it... you were... off balance for a bit." She nodded at the bandanna her friend wore. "You still keep your icon on, even now."

The green girl rose an eyebrow, turning to her friend. "And Zephyr?"

"Zephyr left it behind. Not even worried. Not even the confidence he puts up when he's hiding his worries...." Fluttershy shrugged. "It could have been an accident, but... I haven't seen him wear it in a while. It's around the house. It's not... on him."

"An abrupt change." Tree Hugger nodded. "Usually a sign that something has unbalanced somebody... not necessarily negatively, you know."

"Oh, I know. It's just... you have that whole... chakra, aura, whatever you do." Fluttershy bit her lip. "Can you... you helped me with it. Can you take a look at him?"

"...Bring him in. I can't guarantee anything, of course, but for you, I'll do it."

"Thanks, Treezie. You're the best."

"Sure thing, Shy. Oh!" Tree Hugger held up a finger, reaching under the desk. "Your soap came in yesterday."

"Oh! Right." Fluttershy took the offered box, smiling gently. "Thank you really, I don't know how you find the stuff. I've looked everywhere, and--"

"It's a little something my mom makes. Family secret, you know?" The green girl adjusted her dreads. "I want to learn it myself, so I can spread the blessings among the people, but mom is... remarkably stubborn."

"Well, if you do get her to tell you, let her know she has at least one loyal customer."

"Oh, I already have. She doesn't believe me." Tree Hugger rolled her eyes.

"I see. I suppose I'll have to tell her in person then."

"That might be difficult. She's very busy in the parks department."

Fluttershy nodded as she pulled out her wallet. She paused for a moment.

"...You know, something happened in the park earlier this week..."

"Really?"

"I don't know what it was, but... there was something trying to warn me about winter, and open ways."

Tree Hugger frowned. "That is... interesting."

Fluttershy shrugged. "It was all very vague. I don't know what was going on--"

"Maybe you should head for the woods," the green girl suggested.

"What?"

"The trees in the park are bound by human moderation. The woods find their own balance."

The yellow girl rolled her eyes. "Why are you assuming it's the trees that are talking?"

"You were a tree for a while."

"So, what, you think they talk to me now?"

Tree Hugger crossed her arms. "I know trees. They're quiet, usually, but that doesn't mean they're entirely ignorant. They pick up on things that we might miss."

Fluttershy sighed. "...I really don't think it's anything. Look, if nothing happens this week, we can forget it, okay?"

After a moment, the other girl let her arms drop. "Your call."


"...and the shard of madness?" asked the taller figure.

"If the starfolk had it, it has been lost to the ages."

"It might be found."

"It might." The shorter figure shrugged. "It might not."

The taller figure contemplated this statement, and eventually nodded. "...true. Our focus should be on the spring court."

"Yes, they are... eager to spread out, once again. Though we must consider..."

"Consider what?"

The shorter figure clasped his hands together. "Knowledge spreads fast, with the invisible library. News as well. But there are places still distant."

The taller figure turned to him. "You propose a ring."

"I do."

"...The unseelie will not like that."

"True," the shorter figure admitted. "But better to be slow and gentle, then to rush and burn."

"Summer and fall would disagree."

"Summer and fall have long languished."

"True."

"In all honesty," the shorter figure admitted, "I would allow fall before spring. But there seems to be no want."

"Yet. You know how they are. Still for ages, but when they seek..."

"...they swarm. Yes."

"Spring has long been active in Equestria. Our other courts, less so. Allowing them back here..."

"Perhaps some will take notice and act themselves."

The taller figure nodded. "Perhaps. Sound the call then. A ring for the Spring court, in a world thought dead. Let all who wish to come."


Winter Lights leaned against the wall, considering those around her. How much had changed... and how little.

Perhaps she was being unfair--magic had only recently come to humanity, or rather only recently resurged. And it still hid behind a veil and a lie--the true magic of this world was not commonly utilized, most making due with the gift from the other realm. They could have been great, perhaps--well, that could be said of any group really. So few took fate into their own hands.

So few, and always so interesting...

Sunset Shimmer. An interesting figure, to be fair, a student of a goddess so blinding that she drove her beloved to another realm, where she became a goddess herself despite her denial. She would have to be avoided, of course, one did not toy with gods. But she was young and not omniscient, despite her pet's words to the contrary.

Ah yes... her pet. Winter Lights allowed a faint smile to flicker across her face. When she'd saved the thing she had been so... self-assured, to a point of madness. Keeping her secret from the others was not difficult; making her understand who the true master was, well, that had been an effort, but an entertaining one. Still, she had been a fair master, no punishments undeserved, and rewards for every helpful little act. Her pet must have been so frightened without her, but Winter believed she still retained enough individuality to take care of herself while she was out and about.

And really, it was her fault that Winter had the idea to come to this world anyway. Her constant babble of the new magic, of the new technology, it had been enough to intrigue the princess of the winter court. And there was opportunity here. So much. True, a ring for the Spring court was being considered, but what could the Spring court offer humans that they did not already have? A slight edge, perhaps, but not enough to entice a bond. Ironically, the same strength that kept Winter Lights from acting swiftly also kept her from having to act swiftly.

"Excuse me, sir or madam! Are you currently or have you ever been under any enchantment, spell, or otherwise magical occurrence that results in the alteration of your appearance to outside observers?"

Winter Lights blinked, turning to the odd pink girl that had asked the question and noting her... deranged magical aura. The question, and the face, were innocent enough. But this human was unstable, and therefore potentially dangerous. A shame--in another time, perhaps, she would have liked to toy with her, but here she could afford no risk. Still, leaving a question unanswered would be rude.

"Yes. And now, I feel I must leave."

Unweaving herself, Winter Lights drifted on the winds of Earth. She would set down soon enough, but for the moment she enjoyed the freedom that so many of those beneath her lacked.


"Really, sis, I'm fine," Zephyr insisted. "Better then fine. I feel like a brand-new man!"

"That's what worries me."

"Oh come on. You're the one that wanted me to grow up, and look! I have a job, I have a... not-yet girlfriend, and--"

"Zephyr, do you remember how Sunset transformed into a demon?"

"Um. Yeah. I thought you never wanted to hear me talk about it again."

Fluttershy rolled her eyes. "You called her a sexy succubus, and completely ignored the whole 'deranged attempt to take over the world' thing. The fact is you have a serious disconnect from the world around you, and that means sometimes you miss the important details."

Zephyr gave an exasperated sigh. "Fiiiiiine. What did I miss this time?"

"The transformation was induced by emotional change lensed through a potent magical artifact. That was before we had magic in our everyday lives." Fluttershy shivered. "I've seen what can happen these days--I've been through a transformation like that myself. The fact is you've changed, and changed abruptly, and even though it seems to be for the better I just... I just want to make sure you're okay."

"...Alright, alright." Zephyr held up his hands. "But I think I would have noticed if I transformed into some magical demon, right?"

"Maybe. But you might not have noticed if somebody cast some... mind alteration spell on you, or something."

Her brother looked decidedly uncomfortable at that statement. "That... okay, yeah, that could be scary. But do you really think Tree Hugger would notice?"

"She knew how to fix me when I went... in too deep. I think at the least she'd be able to diagnose you."

Zephyr rolled his eyes as they entered Pure Vibrations. "I still think you're worrying over nothing."

"Nothing can become something quite easily," drawled a new voice. "Welcome, Shybrother."

"Hey there Tree Hugger." Zephyr looked around. "Wow, you have done a number on this place, haven't you?"

Tree Hugger looked at him for a moment or two. "...Yes. Certainly. You do a fair bit of shopping, don't you?"

"Well, not anymore. Honestly, I think I was just trying to get in on the new fads--"

"I've arranged this shop to help one discover oneself. Why don't you have a go round?"

Zephyr blinked. "Really?"

"Mmm. There are many different types of meditation." Tree Hugger smiled. "You needn't purchase anything, just... take what piques your fancy and bring it back here, at the end."

"...Alright..." Zephyr hesitantly walked toward the beginning of the shelves, moving clockwise through the various sections.

Fluttershy blinked. "Tree Hugger, what--"

She held up a finger, gesturing for silence, and for her friend to come closer.

With a sigh, Fluttershy stepped up to the desk. "What are you doing, exactly?" she asked in a quiet murmur.

"...The ripples are..." Tree Hugger frowned. "Every aura shifts. Emotions, thoughts, even things below, it's all alive. I can see deeper if I focus, but for the most part it's just the surface of the pond--but the surface is almost always..." She gestured vaguely. "It usually all moves the same way for each person, even if it moves differently from person to person."

"...Okay?"

"Something's up with his, though. For the most part it's a unified motion, but there's something... else." She tapped her fingers. "Fish make ripples, but each pond usually only has one kind of fish, only one kind of swimming motion. There's another kind in him. I haven't ever seen it before..."

Fluttershy gulped. "So... is something wrong?"

"I don't know yet. It could be nothing, I'll have to do some reading--"

"Okay!" Zephyr reemerged, his arm filled with odd knickknacks and a book. "I did the thing!" He carefully let them spread out on the counter. "You said I didn't have to buy any of these, right?"

"No, of course." Tree Hugger set about spreading them into small groups. "Hmm. Ah. Hmm... Well, that's interesting." She held up one of the soap bars. "Cinnamon and Spruce?"

"Yeah, I dunno. It just... I've been thinking of changing my brand, you know?"

The green girl looked at him carefully for a moment or two.

"Um. What?"

"I ask your permission to peruse your flow of self."

"...What?"

"I want to poke you and make weird noises for my own pseudomystical purposes," Tree Hugger said flatly.

"Oh! Right, right. Uh... sure?"

With a nod, Tree Hugger stepped out from behind the desk, letting her fingers touch the top of his head. For a moment, there was silence.

"...Sooooo--"

Her fingers moved down to his brow. "Oooooooooom...."

"Oh. Okay, so do I just--"

Then to his throat. "Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam."

Zephyr gave Fluttershy a helpless glance. She gave him a confused shrug.

The top of his rib-cage. "Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam."

"Ham and yam? Are you hungry or--"

The bottom. "Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaam."

"Okay, clearly I know nothing."

And further down. "Vaaaaaaaaaaaaam." Tree Hugger's brows knotted. "Vaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam..."

Zephyr blushed.

"...The water chakra is located near the pelvis," she said flatly. "Get your mind out of the gutter."

"Oh! Well--I, I certainly wasn't--"

"You were. Though... less swiftly then you used to." With a roll of her eyes, Tree Hugger completed her journey. "Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam."

She backed up and straightened. "Well. That told me far more then I ever needed to know."

"I really am--"

"Zephyr?" Tree Hugger patted his shoulder fondly. "You're a growing young man, and you kept yourself in control. You have nothing to be ashamed about. Why don't you head on out, I need to talk to Fluttershy for a moment or two."

"...Right. Right. Yes." Zephyr Breeze backed out of the store with a blush. "I'll just... wait outside." The door shut rapidly.

Tree Hugger turned to Fluttershy, her face serious. "Well, I know what's wrong with him, and it's supposed to be impossible."

"What?!" Fluttershy blinked. "What do you mean, impossible?!"

"I mean..."

Tree Hugger paused.

"...What do I mean? It's never been mentioned in my books..."

"Treezie?"

"Where would I have heard....? Sorry." She turned back to Fluttershy. "Keep an eye on him. I need to do research. I've heard of this before, but I can't remember where."

"Treezie, what's going on?"

"His water chakra's changed. Like, not even distorted flow, completely changed---another fish in the pond." Tree held up the soap. "I'm sorry, but this is important. Don't panic, just... just keep an eye on him, alright?!"

Fluttershy nodded, backing toward the door. "Alright. Alright, I--I'll do that. I promise." She turned around, stepping out of the store as Tree Hugger started to close it down.


"The first ring has been established, my lord. We are providing glamours for the Spring Court as they pass."

"Excellent. I hope my daughter has not been overwhelmed with her new associates?"

"...Your daughter has not been active in the ring at all."

The taller figure paused. "That is... not entirely unprecedented, but it is worrisome."

"She continues to report on the world, on its inhabitants and developments."

"But to avoid association with the other courts..."

The shorter figure tapped his fingers together. "It is... possible, that she is waiting to see what the Spring Court will do in this world."

"Possible, yes. I would have assumed she would have taken a guiding role."

"True. It is most unlike her to allow subjects free reign."

"What secrets is she hiding from us?"

"My lord?"

"I am not foolish," the taller figure stated. "I know she has estate in places we cannot see."

"She is true to her word."

"As are all seelie."

"...your point is well seen. If I had an idea what she was hiding, I would offer it."

"Yet you do not."

"Nay." The shorter figure bowed. "I apologize."

"...I suppose I shall simply have to watch and wait, shall I not?"

"For the moment. Once the Spring Court has established itself, perhaps we can join her in this new realm."

"Perhaps...."


The creature snarled and raged at her from its shackles of ice. Winter Lights merely smiled, whisking her hand through the air. "I will admit your instinct does you credit. But instinct alone cannot win this battle. And being as overwhelmed as you are by it..."

Icicles grew from her gloved fingers, long and thin and sharp. She almost seemed to caress the beast's cheek as they dug in, cutting a chunk of the bony faceplate off. By the time that it it snapped at the assault, she was already out of reach with her prize.

"Hmm... ah. What a fascinating structure." She placed the chunk on the makeshift table, near a construct of ice that resembled nothing so much as a swan. Picking up a twig from the ground, she nudged the two together--

--and for a moment the ice seemed to writhe--

--and she looked with interest at the new shape. Still swan-like, but not the figure of grace many assumed. There was still grace, but where before it had been a resting sort, now it was the beauty of the diving predator, the killer-to-be. Wings outstreched, spikes along their edges, and the neck lancing out.

"Hmmm... Have I seen you before?" Winter turned to the beast, still struggling in its bonds. "I've seen what you reflect, though those are creatures far more... hmm... menacing, shall we say. But... how do you reflect it?"

It roared at her.

She snapped her fingers in sudden remembrance. "Of course! The glimpse was brief, but... my. My my my my my. Humans interfering with what they shouldn't..."

Winter Lights looked back to the icy swan, and the chunk of bone within. "Well, now I know. Potent indeed... yes. And if it can affect one of them...."

She smiled, and turned back to her prisoner. "I know you do not understand this, but you should be proud. Your death will cause far more then you could ever have achieved alive." The ice on her glove glinted in the midday sun.


Fluttershy sat down on the blanket, taking a breath and slowly letting it out. "Alright. So you want to talk to me, right? I'm listening."

She looked up at the tree and frowned. "But I'm not going to do that thing where I get drawn in and forget myself."

The tree did not react.

Fluttershy took a breath, closed her eyes, and focused. Focused on the feeling of being. The scent of the grass and the wood, and the soil. She tried to remember how she extended before, how she let herself....

Herself...

...and others...

The self was one with others, weaving in and out, still attached still attached to the flow withing but now scattered like a river, roots and roots intertwining, impressions faint of the skittering others that clambered webwork, of the others that moved in and out and out and into sideways, sideways the stillness broken, those of winter rising, and now the swirls remembered, and now those that could see them, not the skittering others but the shifting, they felt the branches twisting, one followed and followed and--

She pulled back and snapped her eyes open in shock. Not an inch away from her face was a strange blue creature that... she felt should have been an insect, even though her vision insisted it was a tiny humanoid with translucent wings.

"Oh. Hello there."

"...Fluttershy? Is that ye?"

Fluttershy--right, her name. "I... yes, I'm Fluttershy. Who are you?"

"It's me! It's Seabreeze!" The figure gestured at itself. "Don't ye remember me, from the migration?"

"...Um." Fluttershy bit her lip. "I... can't say that I do, I'm sorry."

"Oh dear. Come, lass, we need tae get ye back tae Equestria--"

"Oh! You think I'm the other Fluttershy!"

Seabreeze paused, hovering in midflight, before turning around. "Other Fluttershy?"

"Yes." Fluttershy nodded. "You see, Sunset Shimmer--I don't know if you've heard of her, but she came from Equestria through a magical portal, and it turns out that every pony in Equestria has a human analogue here. A while ago the saturation of magic nearly caused our worlds to crash together, but she worked to stop it, and now we all have magic--I'm sorry, am I being confusing? There's a lot to go over here."

"...ach, siripat sulat...." The tiny winged figure rubbed his hands through his pink hair. "A reflection that knows."

"A reflection?"

"Not that ye be only that," he quickly assured her. "Worlds reflect other worlds, tis just the nature of infinity. That ye have a portal to one that is reflectin' off ye, or perhaps the other way round, that just makes things more confusin'.... but easier tae explain."

"Oh. Are you some sort of world-hopping creature then?"

"...Aye. I be a breezie, one o' the Spring court o' the Fay."

She nodded politely. "That's interesting. What brings you here?"

"Oh, we all be interested in magic's resurgence here. The winter court's been examinin' yer realm, learnin' since they noticed, but they prefer not tae openly appear till some things have been established."

Fluttershy blinked, giving Seabreeze a wary look. "...The trees said that winter was coming."

"Ye can hear the trees?"

"I was one, for a while."

Seabreeze tilted his head. "That... would explain some things about ye. If ye were a tree, mayhap ye could help me and me kin?"

"Well, I don't know if I can do everything, but I can certainly try."

"We be lookin' to find settings on the edge, places o' privacy whence we can come and go without complaint. Tis best to grow where none can complain, ye ken?" Seabreeze gestured at the trees. "Us in the spring court be small enough to nest, but most others prefer halls."

"...Hmm." Fluttershy pulled her phone out, tapping the screen. "Let me look at a map...."


"The reflections are aware of their other selves?"

"That is what the springling told me." The shorter figure frowned. "The Breezies are of neither kingdom, though, so their word is not always trustworthy."

"They would only lie if it furthered their ends," the taller one reprimanded.

"My apologies, my lord."

"...that my daughter has not informed of me this... either it is a great secret, held by a few, or she has withheld knowledge deliberately."

"Perhaps..."

"Yes?"

"We should meet her, make assurance that she remains loyal to the hall."

The taller one frowned. "You think she would plan something?"

"There are.... hints, my lord. Some of the Spring Court have noted... odd magics, wandering through the forests. They stay away, but what they sense.... there may be a darkness that Winter has not informed."

"The light reveals.... the dark conceals."

"And she is adept at dancing with both."

"....We shall call for her, inform her of what the Spring Court has informed us, and gauge her reaction."

"Might that not be what she wants?"

"Her time in the other world has been short. It is unlikely she is ready to conduct whatever plan she has set in motion."

"As you say my lord. May the fates decree you correct...."


Winter Lights walked through the woods, her lips blackened by the cosmetic she had mixed together. None challenged her path, fay and monster akin moving out of her way...

...till she came upon the bastion itself, and paused.

The green-skinned girl waiting pointed at her. "That," she said coolly, "is not yours."

Winter looked at herself, at where she was pointing, and then to the faded violet eyes that simmered with cold rage.

"...it was given to me freely," she replied. "An even exchange, a pact, a bond."

The green-skinned girl let her finger fall. "He did not know what he was agreeing to--"

"Oh, but he did. I agreed to give him a stronger heart, a will to move mountains--and has he not that? What I took in return--"

"You asked for shelter," the girl deadpanned, "not for his soul."

Winter laughed. "Do not be so caustic! You can see what is, far better than most, you know his soul remains. All I have taken is... his inadequacies, his self-loathing and terror." She scoffed. "It is not pleasant, but I endure."

A thick red eyebrow quirked. "You've allowed your own self to alter that--I can see it."

"Hmm. You knew Zephyr, then?"

"I'm friends with Fluttershy. She brought him in for me to look over."

"Ah, the sister. Much have I heard of her." Winter Lights smiled, as to an angry puppy. "And yet I have heard nothing of you. Might I ask your name?"

"My name is that which I possess," the green-skinned girl replied. "And you will not take it from me."

"Oh, that is not how my magic works. Words are shells, useful tools, the beginning of the object, not the object of itself." Winter gestured. "Should I wish, I could pluck from you anything I wanted."

"Yet you gave as well as took. Balance must be maintained."

"...Look at you," Winter mused. "More intelligent and insightful then most. And yet, because of your shell, you will never have the power to be more then you are." She curtsied. "Whereas I am free, free to be and become, to warp and change."

"You are bound to Zephyr."

"A bond of my own choice. I could easily revoke it, but this world intrigues me." Winter nodded. "It could be quite useful."

The green-skinned girl narrowed her eyes. "Those that force their own view will find great resistance."

"As you have pointed out, I am bound to Zephyr. Harm me, and you harm him."

"I bring not harm. Only balance and transformation."

"Ha. Balance." Winter chortled. "You know nothing of balance, caged as you are!" She twirled. "I have a meeting to attend. You cannot delay me."

"Did you know Fluttershy is friend to Sunset Shimmer?"

Winter froze.

"...Ah." The green-skinned girl reached for her speech brick. "Call Flut--"

She whirled, a bolt of ice smashing the brick out of the girl's hand and raising her arm. Frost swiftly encased her skin, and for a moment she seemed shocked; yet before she was completely frozen, the green-skinned girl assumed a pose of dignity and meditative poise.

Winter approached the ice-trapped girl, looking her over with a mildly impressed expression. "Hmm. Still alive... you are an interesting mortal, aren't you." She gently cupped her cheek. "You've forced me to speed up my plans. Not by much, but your absence will be noticed... I believe I shall reward your effort."

Ice rose beneath the girl's feet, slowly melting and reforming, carrying her behind Winter Lights as she walked to the bastion, a fanged smirk on her face.

"You will be at my side, and witness my rise to greatness. A truer reward, few could imagine."

Author's Note:

The smallest folk and friendliest, the winged ones still have power
Respect the forest lest ye find their feelings have gone sour.