• Published 17th Dec 2016
  • 1,982 Views, 56 Comments

Two Eyes, One Heart - Tropical Applejack



Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash spend a day in a meadow, and some silly shenanigans lead into a storm. What happens shortly after makes Dash question her feelings toward her best friend.

  • ...
11
 56
 1,982

Chapter Two - Unintended Consequences

They made their way to Sugarcube Corner. The sky had grown quite dark. Maybe the storm lasted longer than Rainbow thought. “Do you wanna stay here for the night?” Pinkie asked excitedly, holding the door open for her.

“You know me, Pinkie… once a loner, always a loner.” Rainbow Dash turned away, but then she saw the unlit town of Ponyville. Although she kept it a secret, Equestria creeped her out at night. Only when there was danger involved did she relish in it. Now was not one of those times to enjoy. “On second thought,” she said, looking back at Pinkie, who had never left the door, “maybe I’ll take you up on your offer. Just for tonight.”

“Yay!” Pinkie cheered with a bounce. Dash smiled and walked through the doorway. The bell above the door jingled as it closed. The two of them headed up the stairs to the top floor - to Pinkie’s room. Dash stood there in awe.

There were colors of all kinds. The cushions strewn in piles on the floor and on her bed held every color Dash could think of; the walls were lined with painted-on party balloons, streamers, and treats; and the pink. Oh, Celestia, the pink was overwhelming. Her comforter was pink, her wall’s background was pink, and her carpet was a pale (though still recognizable) pink! She practically blended into the scenery as she entered the room. Dash would go as far to say that she looked like a walking prop, but she stopped herself.

“You sure spend a lot of time re-decorating, don’t you?” she asked instead of stating her odd comment.

“Not really!” Pinkie replied, “I did all this soon after moving to Ponyville and getting a job!”

“Huh. That’s cool. How much is rent?”

“Zero bits!”

Rainbow’s eyes widened. “You’re kidding, right?”

“Nope! The Cakes told me I could live here if I help when they need it. They even give me a fair share of the profits!”

“Wow. So they’re downstairs, I’m guessing?” Rainbow asked.

“Yup!” Pinkie nodded, “Probably snuggling each other like couples do!”

“Right.”

Pinkie turned to her bedroom window overlooking Ponyville. She frowned at the lack of any rainbow in the sky. “Awwwww….”

“What is it, Pinks?”

“There’s no rainbow,” she replied sadly, but then perked up, “Can you make one right now?”

“It’s late, Pinkie. I don’t wanna wake up the whole neighborhood,” Rainbow reasoned. Then she saw the pleading eyes of Pinkie. She couldn’t ever look at that with a straight face. Nopony could. “Fine,” she finally said, “Fine.”

The cyan pegasus opened the window and flew through it. Now that she had a reason to be outside, it wasn’t so bad. In an effort to make the sound not reach as far, she began flying up as high as she could. At one point, where it became hard to breathe, she stopped. Pinkie couldn’t even see her at that point. No matter how hard she looked, she couldn’t find a trace of Rainbow Dash. But soon she would. Rainbow assumed a position of perfect directory and rocketed down.

Performing the sonic rainboom would be easy. It was pulling up and around that was the hard part. The clear air of the night allowed for little wind resistance, and, as Pinkie spotted her shooting down through the sky high above, there was a loud BOOM as Rainbow broke the sound barrier - sending a flurry of colors out from where she did so. The pegasus zipped upwards right before hitting the ground. On her fast ascension, she noticed a few lights in the town’s windows turning on. She guessed that she hadn’t gained enough altitude to account for the light sleepers, but that didn’t matter now. All she cared about in that exact moment was making a perfect rainbow to brighten Pinkie’s world.

It came out beautiful. A perfect curve of red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple illuminated the sky. Dash slowed her speed and stopped the rainbow’s formation when it was at its completion. She glided back through the town. A couple ponies were looking out from their windows. Some had on faces of irritation, others smiled at what she had made. One of them - a grey pegasus with crossed yellow eyes opened her bedroom window and waved excitedly to Rainbow Dash. Derpy Hooves. It nearly threw her out of the two-story house. Rainbow waved back happily. Seeing the acknowledgement, Derpy closed the window with a wide smile.

Rainbow flew back into Sugarcube Corner’s top floor and panted several times. “THAT sonic rainboom was me.”

Pinkie Pie giggled. “Why didn’t you want to at first? Were you scared?”

“Me?” Rainbow snorted, “Scared? Of what, the dark?”

“Yeah! Like Fluttershy!”

Rainbow gave up the act. “How’d you know?”

“Just a hunch.”

“Alright, that’s it,” Rainbow said threateningly, getting into a wrestling stance, “Put ‘em up, Pinkie.”

The pink mare obliged with another giggle. She got into a position that might offer some advantages and surprises, but Dash had her pinned against a pile of multi-colored pillows in seconds.

“Oh, come on. Is that all you got?”

“You say that like I had a chance!” Pinkie observed.

“Okay, fair enough, but shouldn’t you be struggling right now? It is a hoof wrestle,” Rainbow asked smirking.

“Actually, it’s really comfy here! I don’t wanna move,” Pinkie laughed. Rainbow’s laugh followed shortly after. The pair were stopped in silence for the good half of a minute. Rainbow took that time to just look at Pinkie. She looked so happy… those soft, yet ecstatic blue eyes… that twisty mane… that pink face….

Pinkie’s voice broke into Rainbow’s thoughts. “What’s that about, Rainbow Dash?” she asked, pointing behind the pegasus. Rainbow turned back and immediately gulped. Her wings were sticking straight out and practically bulging. She blushed a bright shade of pink.

“Uhhhhh… adrenaline..?” she lied.

Pinkie saw straight through it. The pink pony let her mind wander. A look of realization swept over her face. “Ooooohhh…” she said, “is that a wing-”

“Yeah,” Dash nodded and let go of Pinkie. She stepped away from the earth pony. “I should… get going,” she frowned and turned to the window again.

Pinkie got to her hooves and called out as Rainbow walked towards it. “You can still spend the night if you want!”

Rainbow stopped, but she didn’t look back. She only shook her head and dove out of the building and into the town.

“See ya tomorrow..!” Pinkie yelled, feeling rather worried about her friend now. Was she THAT embarrassed?

Dash still didn’t answer. Not loud enough to be heard, anyway. “Yeah…” she whispered - more to herself than Pinkie - “see ya tomorrow, Pinks….”