• Published 18th Dec 2016
  • 7,983 Views, 113 Comments

Reconciliations - Soufriere



The next stage in Sunset Shimmer's recovery: Reconnecting with her probable friends.

  • ...
6
 113
 7,983

Epilogue

The morning was unusually chilly for Spring. Nonetheless, most of the kids at Canterville High School wore clothes better suited to the inevitable warm snap coming later in the day as they made their ways across the carefully manicured lawn in front of the school, past the large horse statue that served as the school’s – and, by extension, the city’s – mascot.

As the crowd thinned out, a hand reached out to gently stroke one corner of the statue’s massive four-sided base (that secretly housed a portal to another dimension).

“Hey there,” Sunset Shimmer said quietly to the base. “Been a while, hasn’t it? Sorry I’ve been gone so long.”

A brief blast of chilly wind whipped across the lawn, causing Sunset to bring her legs – exposed to the elements due to her choice of orange skirt – closer together for warmth. Her upper body was not cold in the slightest thanks to her decision to wear Rachel (the warmer of her two jackets). As she stared up at the unblinking eyes of the life-sized concrete horse, she was startled by something touching her shoulder.

Whirling around, she found Rarity, dressed impeccably and smiling so wide it could probably turn on a stove. Sunset was incapable of that level of happiness, but she tried her best to respond in kind. They embraced.

Once they disentangled, with Rarity making sure to keep an arm around Sunset’s shoulder, they both turned toward the school’s imposing recently-reconstructed front entrance. Sunset took a deep breath.

“You can do this,” Rarity said.

“I can do this,” Sunset confirmed, though whether to Rarity or to herself was not clear.

“We’re all here, and we’re all rooting for you,” said Rarity.

The morning sunlight reflecting off the school’s windows forced Sunset to squint, but she could make out four girls – her friends – standing between her and the doors. Two of them were waving, one excitedly, perhaps calling out to her, but with the din of crowd and traffic noise, she could not hear and did not need to.

Sunset intoned, “Even if the whole world has turned against me…”

“…It doesn’t matter. Your friends will always be here for you,” Rarity said in response as she removed her arm. “And you know the others agree too.”

“Mm-hmm,” Sunset nodded in agreement. Turning to her friend, Sunset adopted an expression that melded determination with what might have been indigestion or mild apprehension that passed after a few seconds.

Rarity, for her part, briefly glanced to the quartet of girls before turning back to Sunset and asking simply, “Shall we?”

“Let’s go,” Sunset replied, placing one foot in front of the other. Tentative steps, yet eager to restart her journey.

END

Author's Note:

Read Me.

Comments ( 34 )

Oh this is going to be good. Ill read this soon.

media.giphy.com/media/mDtdH6h0HuYkU/giphy.gif

Bravo, sir. Bravo.

Not just for this story, but for this whole series. Just beautiful.

ohh more to this series

This was so cute! It made me happy. Thank you for writing this! I enjoyed it immensely :twilightsmile:

Aww, so many feels...
I understand Sunset in all that series,and I keep reading that...and just identifying more and more with her...
May I ask,in this series,she have bipolar disorder?

7803370 - That probably would have happened if Sunset wasn't expecting her. Or if she had remembered to lock her door. She usually forgets to.

7801694 , 7804298 - Thank you for coming on this journey with me. I'm glad you've enjoyed it. :twilightsmile: :yay:

7804450 - I answered this in the comments here. TL;DR -- She has symptoms of Bipolar.II, but my intention was she suffers from Major Depressive Disorder: Melancholic variant.

However, it's a fictional world, so her issues don't need to line up 100% with reality. That's my cop-out and I'm sticking to it.

7804911 Sorry for asking ,I haven't read it before...
It's that I'm indetifying so much to her,and I have bipolar disorder.

7805544 - No, no. I apologize for coming off harsh; I was in a hurry, so I wanted to be helpful without having to type up the response again.

I identify with Sunset as well (if it wasn't obvious enough :raritywink:). That's why so many of my stories feature her. And I'm glad you seem to enjoy my take on her.

This was a compelling read!

This recovery arc was good series! You are very good at providing a lot of emotion with simple, heartfelt conversations. Good job.

Thank you for sharing your writing. :twilightsmile:

7964971

With that said, I still think the original suits the story better for the most part. It allows the focus to stay on Sunset, whereas here Pinkie steals the show and Sunset ends up comforting her instead.

And that is exactly why I wrote the original Pinkie chapter the way I did. I love 'Mena, but she is a very spotlight-stealing character, and I wanted to show how the concept of extreme depression is so utterly alien to Pinkie (at least to this Pinkie) that she would make light of it without understanding its gravity. It seems you and I are in the minority, though. Your suggestion of her mask slipping slightly might have worked too. Eh, water under the bridge.

And, for your information, you'll be pleased to know that I think I finally understand why you said what you did about Fluttershy's chapter. I guess I just didn't realize what I had at the time.

I got here from the first entry in the series, so you can think of this as sort of a cumulative evaluation of the whole thing. While I think the series has its ups and downs, it's overall an uplifting, yet appropriately grim, examination of mental illness. Sunset isn't a character I'd have pegged as suffering from a disorder of this variety, but even so, she and her struggles are very believable and realistically handled. As are her friends' reactions.

I think that, one of my favorite things about this story and the others in the series (simultaneously, a potential flaw, depending on how you look at it), is just how unprepared so many of the HuMane Six are to deal with Sunnybuns and her trauma. That so many of them have difficulty really understanding what's going on in her head, and don't how to relate to it, is one of those unfortunate, and extra-isolating, aspects of mental illness that portrayals in popular culture/media tend to overlook. And the overarching message of the whole thing, that they don't get it and can't really get it without (god forbid) going through the same thing as Sunset, but that they will love her and support her anyway, is also something that popular media doesn't quite get right most of the time.

That said (and this is why I called it a potential weakness), it feels like there's a big step missing in this series. And that's the part where Sunset gets help.

The fact that she emerges from this particular period of depression, alive and in a more secure place than she was, is a good start. But like I said, her friends, though a good support network for her, are not prepared to help Sunset confront the foundation of her problems, and Sunset has demonstrated that she's unprepared for it too. Which isn't a mark against her; I don't think anyone is capable of handling severe depression on their lonesome without some kind of outside intervention.

And that's what Sunny needs. Her friends lack the qualifications, or the context, to really help her through this period of her life, and they demonstrate that repeatedly. They're well-meaning, but they're also a buncha goddamn kids. And that's made painfully apparent when they do things like, for instance, grab her wrist and gawk at the scars from her parasuicidal gesture (or, in Rarity's case, show them off to Flash; what the hell, Squiggletail?). That's the kind of shit that makes a severe depression-sufferer retreat, and it can really hinder whatever progress they're making. I'm actually surprised that didn't worsen Sunset's condition more than it did, because shit, man...

D'you see what I mean? I don't know if you have the kind of psychological background or whatever to tackle "Sunset Shimmer Goes to Therapy at Whatever Hours One Meets with a Therapist," but if you can... and this is just my opinion... I think that would be a good way to take these stories, if you decide to keep writing them.

7995447
I do see what you mean, and you are in many respects absolutely correct. I know better than most how important it is for one to get real professional help if one needs it. In fact, I had to learn it the hard way.

Well-reasoned critiques deserve serious answers, I believe. Whether my own answers are well-reasoned is up to the reader.

If I had more of a background in psychology (I did take some intro classes in college and did consider minoring in it before going for something else), I might have considered going the plot route you suggested. However, as I do not, and I'm not about to bother my friends who do -- they have real lives, unlike me -- I'm content to leave the series as-is, even though it lacks that big step you noticed. The official purpose of the Recovery Arc was to get Sunset to the point she could trust her friends and have that support network. That at least is better than nothing, which is what she had before.

I believe I also mentioned in one of these one-shots that Sunny can't afford to see a doctor, to say nothing of a psychiatrist or therapist or prescription drugs ('Murika).

Let's be absolutely honest here -- Sunset going to a realistic therapy session would not make for a very interesting story. At least I don't think so (the more likely outcome of her getting sent to a psychiatric hospital as soon as she starts talking about EQG canon, while possibly neat to write, would be counterproductive to what I tried to accomplish with Recovery).

It is kinda funny you said that, because a couple years ago I wrote a document I titled Sunset on the Couch, where she does exactly what you suggest (with Dr.Wolf, no less), though its real purpose was for me to give Sunny a backstory, not to help her through any issues, and I stopped it because I lost interest in the concept -- it was a dialectical rehash of what I had done for Pinkamena the previous year. Last year, I found a better way for Sunny to explain her past, which I hope to roll out later this year now that I'm basically done with Recovery.

You mention how the actions of Sunny's friends -- notably the references to her scars -- are liable to cause her to backslide. That is a legit risk when dealing with the depressed and I acknowledge it. What Rarity did in "Exes Meet" was, from a mental health standpoint, incredibly risky and stupid, yes, but I justify it as her believing it was her only option, since Flash was unwilling to listen to either girl at that point. It was not a move she made lightly… but it was dumb. AJ's actions are, to me, much more objectionable (and were done because I really didn't know where else to go with her; sorry). Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie in the canon chapter never learn about her scars, and 'Shy can empathize because she's been there too. I like to believe I treated the issue with the sensitivity it deserves, though maybe I'm wrong.

To actually address Sunny's foundational issue, as you put it, we need to identify it. That's not hard; her depression stems from guilt over her past actions. But therapy, while undoubtedly helpful, would only get her so far. What she really needs is to do the one thing she's been avoiding for (in my continuity) the past ten years -- go back and face Celestia. Without that, there's no way she'll ever have full closure, and her feelings of guilt will continue to fester. Luckily for Sunny, I already have their reunion planned out in my head (and notes). I hope I get to write it.

PS - As you might have guessed, the real purpose of the Recovery Arc -- some parts of it, at least -- was for me to use writing as a conduit to deal with my own personal issues while still trying to keep characters in-character and create something people would enjoy reading. On the latter part, I mostly seem to have succeeded. On the middle bit, I probably failed. On the first part, only time will tell.

7995876

You mention how the actions of Sunny's friends -- notably the references to her scars -- are liable to cause her to backslide. That is a legit risk when dealing with the depressed and I acknowledge it. What Rarity did in "Exes Meet" was, from a mental health standpoint, incredibly risky and stupid, yes, but I justify it as her believing it was her only option, since Flash was unwilling to listen to either girl at that point. It was not a move she made lightly… but it was dumb. AJ's actions are, to me, much more objectionable (and were done because I really didn't know where else to go with her; sorry). Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie in the canon chapter never learn about her scars, and 'Shy can empathize because she's been there too. I like to believe I treated the issue with the sensitivity it deserves, though maybe I'm wrong.

No, I think you did. And it's to the story's credit that the characters reacted the way that they did.

I was also going to suggest that you include a pie fight, though. Just anywhere. Just write an extra chapter where Sunset has a pie fight with the rest of the gang and she says "wow, I guess I kinda have to shower after this now :V" and everyone laughs and it's beautiful.

As many others have said thruout this series, as someone all too intimate with the subject matter, i really appreciate the deft & realistic way it was handled. Thanks for that :pinkiesmile:

And now, on to the story to bring things full circle into the Burritoverse: Rarity Pays for Burritos! :raritywink:

8070260

Yeah, I'm aware of that. All I know is that the FCC changed the policy; so much so that those that don't want satellite or cable had to get a special receiver.

Probably the one you mentioned, now that I think about it.

8130364 - To me, it's just a Sunset thing. That's why characters point it out.

8130366 - I actually find 'Mena amazing to write for. Of course I've written so much about her (that no one here has ever seen), I've got a pretty good handle on her character.

8130951 - Not sure about EQG, but in Pony-land, I firmly believe Pinkie Pie is by far the smartest of the Mane 6.

8132390

The way I see them is, Twilight has the most knowledge in a single subject (magic), but Pinkie has a passing knowledge of just about everything. In D&D terms, Twilight is a studied wizard, where Pinkie is a jack-of-all-trades bard.

8145713 -
I can't disagree with that. You know the full saying? Jack of all trades, master of none, though ofttimes better than a master of one. Pinkie Pie is a legit polymath.

If it were anything other than a pure magic duel, I'd much rather Pinkie have my back. My belief has always been "Twilight, while undeniably intelligent, is not as smart as she thinks she is."

8145823

Honestly, I'd take either or both. Better than none.

Another theory of mine is that all Pinkies in all possible worlds are interconnected. EQG Pinkie, Pony Pinkie, and potentially thousands of others, all sharing knowledge.

Okay, I feel like I need to ask now: Why do you keep calling it "Canterville"?

I mean, I assume that you know that it's called "Canterlot" in canon, so I just find that deviation kinda confusing.

8185737 - *sigh* I feel like I shouldn't even dignify this with a response, but I will.

Of course I know it's called "Canterlot" in the movies. I just think it's dumb. A standard Americanadian looking burgh doesn't deserve such a pun compared to a fantastical mountaintop city full of Unicorns with a cool castle. I changed the name to something more pedestrian but still 'horsey', and I'm not going to apologize or change it in over a dozen stories to fit canon. I'm not a stickler for that crap.

ALSO, these stories were originally tagged "AU" until readers persuaded me to remove the tag because they felt the saga didn't deviate enough from canon. The verdict was that one name change and a more adult character arc do not an AU make. Thus, the discrepancy.

8185931
Well, that first sentence felt... unnecessarily rude. I wasn't asking you to "apologize or change it in over a dozen stories to fit canon", I was just interested in why you chose to make that change.

And I guess I can see where you're coming from, kinda? Though I can't really say I agree with either your decision (I am a stickler for canon) or your reasoning (there are plenty of towns with weird names in real life, so having a normal city named "Canterlot" isn't really all that out of place).

But, I mean, whatever. They're not my stories. Thanks for... dignifying me with a response, I guess?

8834896
Hmm intriguing...I assume it has something to do with her other ID that Flash found and why she's so cozy with this Luna and Celestia despite everything. Possibly where the original Sunset from this world is too. But yeah, many options.

8835313

Possibly where the original Sunset from this world is too.

I have an answer for this one, which I've never revealed to readers. I don't know when I'll get to the story explaining what happened to EQG Sunset -- it's mostly outlined and has been for two years but I haven't even started writing it because other fics must come first. Sunset may say something about it in her next story.

8848673

Is this meant to be a break in the fourth wall?

Indeed it is. Absolutely 100% intentional on my part. I am the hack writer who can't write a crowd scene to save his life -- although I hope I've gotten better with more recent stories. Thus, I appreciate and thank you kindly for the compliment. :twilightsmile:

8185931
Infinity universes, infinity versiona of the same reality, Morty. Everything is an AU without ever being one.

Very well written. Third comment on this particular story btw. I like the direction you took with it. Very heart warming. Not too dark so as to make people cry, not to bright and cheery for the same effect, a good balance.

I keep rereading this entire series. What Sunset has gone through strikes a chord in me. Never that bad, but I have self harmed and contemplated suicide. This series has helped me though some of the ups and downs in my life. Thank you, author.

9164162
You're welcome. :twilightsmile: Glad my work could be of help to you. It really makes me feel like what I do is worthwhile.

9164252
As, I'm glad to know that! I had a pretty shitty day, and this definitely helped.

9419640
Would be fair to say that it being a gift helped in some way?

A brief blast of chilly wind whipped across the lawn, causing Sunset to bring her legs – exposed to the elements due to her choice of orange skirt – closer together for warmth. Her upper body was not cold in the slightest thanks to her decision to wear Rachel (the warmer of her two jackets). As she stared up at the unblinking eyes of the life-sized concrete horse, she was startled by something touching her shoulder.

She should wear leggings when's it's cold to keep her extra warm.

The morning sunlight reflecting off the school’s windows forced Sunset to squint, but she could make out four girls – her friends – standing between her and the doors. Two of them were waving, one excitedly, perhaps calling out to her, but with the din of crowd and traffic noise, she could not hear and did not need to.

You can do this sunset!

“…It doesn’t matter. Your friends will always be here for you,” Rarity said in response as she removed her arm. “And you know the others agree too.”

Yep, because friends can change everything. :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment