• Published 9th Jan 2017
  • 5,811 Views, 189 Comments

The Phoenix Princess - Sonic Rainboom Dash



'The Mare In The Moon' wasn't the only legend that Twilight read that fateful day. And just like the aforementioned legend this one was also true. it just happened earlier than the other, and Twilight is 'dead' center of the legend.

  • ...
11
 189
 5,811

A Fiery Mystery (Revised)

Her wings flared with the sheer strength of her kin, each feather shining like the finest fire ruby in the light of her mistress’s Rising Sun. She accompanied her every morning, swirling higher and higher as the night shadows returned the land to the hooves of sunlight.

~ Philomena the Royal Phoenix, unknown Post-classical author

More poetic opening than usual, but those creatures deserve it. They are even rarer than the “Poison Jokes” these days, but it would be a shame not to give them some spotlight.

Phoenixes.

Given the old reports, there used to be whole flocks of them residing in the forests around Equestria. Those mention periodical Phoenix migration every once a while, and I suspect it has something to do with Phoenixes following the great dragon migration to new nesting sites. Being used to your feathers burning surely allows you to live in a neighborhood of fire-breathing creatures. We’re probably in a Phoenix less period of Everfree today.

You can find a few pairs in the southern drier parts of Equestria, while some also reside in Whitetail. The rest now lives at the edge of the Badlands.

Surprisingly, not a lot of ponies comprehend that these regal birds are also birds of prey, the bane of squirrels and forest voles. Falcons are just as majestic to me, but nopony is surprised. Nevermind.

However, the rest of their lifecycle is unique.

Their feathers serve both as a fireproof shield and as a burning weapon. The rachis - that line in the center of the feather - can channel their fiery magic, allowing it to burn around their wings and tail.

Activating this is within the Phoenix’s will, but their feathers don’t lose this feature after being pulled out. It just becomes more random afterward. So those of you not ruling with levitation, try to avoid using Phoenix quills and those of you capable, make sure at least your face is far from it, but back to the Phoenix’s defenses.

Their bright feathers can tell that their bearers aren’t afraid of being spotted. Instead, their bright colors are warning to predators. Much like how a poisonous salamander’s color can get stuck with the label of “Don’t eat. Let it be.” in the mind of any animal that tried to taste it, bright red feathers are a non-pleasant reminder of the fire that burned its muzzle. Even the eggs are brightly colored, again as a warning.

A phoenix’s feathers can vary from yellow to red with lighter markings like females always having a pink stripe at the tip of their beak while pinkish markings on their wings are also possible. The second difference between the genders is the feathers on the head. A male has a “crest” of thick feathers, while the female’s head is adorned by a peacock-like crown thingy.

But how is it that they burn to ashes if their feathers are fireproof? And why do they even have to burn down? If they didn’t, they’d die. Fire is a great weapon, but it needs massive amounts of magic, and thus energy to be controlled accurately. Of course, there isn’t an indefinite amount, so the Phoenix’s body had to make a compromise.

To have fire-controlling abilities from a young age, their bones, muscles, and intestines take quite a short time to get worn out. The beak becomes distorted, wings no longer able to carry them, similarly does the neck with supporting the head and they start to cough heavily, lungs slowly collapsing and filling with mucus. Not very regal.

Simultaneously, the feathers start to fall off on their own with the small muscles operating them failing. This messy period of molting takes about a week, and it’s probably the only time when they are vulnerable.

You can find that one of them is shedding their feathers just by them lying all around. It’s almost impossible to spot the bird as they hide in the treetops quietly - except for the coughing - and wait till their fireproof shield is down. Then the remains of their magic are called, igniting the Phoenix from inside and turning it to ashes.

“Why do I get the feeling I know what that feels like?” A purple unicorn stated while the gentle summer breeze toyed with the magenta streak in her sapphire mane and tail. Her cutie mark was a purple starburst with a lighter star behind the first and five white stars orbiting them. This unicorn’s name was Twilight Sparkle, Princess Celestia’s Personal student. As she sat under a tree that was looking out over the city of Canterlot and its surrounding valleys she sighed to herself as she went back to her reading.

Nopony knows if getting incinerated alive is painful or not. In my opinion, it’s far better than what they must feel when their body starts to wear out. But every time I managed to see them ‘renewing’ they fell into some kind of comatose sleep right before. Another interesting fact is that their fire doesn’t ignite their surroundings.

Despite them being able to manipulate their ashes they can precisely recognize every part of their body - or at least if you throw their ashes to already cinder filled Hearth, you get the same Phoenix. Not bigger, not lighter - they try to choose their hiding place to be in the lee of the branches. Adult Phoenixes undergo the cycle twice a year.

“Philomena says that she undergoes it when she feels like it, but I think she’s just saying that because she’s embarrassed when it happens,” Twilight said with a chuckle, now understanding why the bird always tried to hide from her when she was entering her rebirth cycle.

There is a second version of their renewal cycle, mainly used for courtship and mating. After the female chooses the male - he would be sporting a beautiful feather crest and bright colors, though, the same should go for the female because males don’t accept the proposal just from anybody - they both start to perch and fly around, gently pulling out each other’s feathers.

When just a few feathers are left, they soar high to the sky, getting rid of them and together falling to the ground in a fire. When their ashes land, parts of them mix. This mix then gets absorbed into female’s body, making her pregnant. She then lays up to 5 eggs. During nesting, their fire-controlling ability is increased, making the parents stronger until the young ones hatch.

Their feathers take just a few days to grow fully, and the hatchlings start to fly shortly after. During their adolescence, the burning period prolongs from weeks to months till it stabilizes on sessions lasting half a year.

So, what to do when you have a Phoenix nearby? Don’t disturb them, not even in the ash form. Trust me on that. Even if your good behavior somehow managed to annoy them, you’ll do best to lay down and not move. They’ll just fly over you with ignited wings a few times and then leave. If it was scared in a worn-out state, it could explode into your face.

The only thing dangerous for them would be falling in water and then getting cold. I reckon that feeding them ice cream isn’t the best idea either.

“Philomena doesn’t seem to mind ice cream, though, she does tend to melt half the tub before I can get some,” Twilight pouted, before thinking back to what the author also wrote about phoenixes. “Plus I don’t believe that this author truly has been around a Phoenix during its regeneration cycle. Otherwise, he would have known that disturbing a Phoenix, even if it were ashes, all it would do would be to squawk at you and give you an earful at the worst cussing a bird can give...unless that’s only her.” She said with another chuckle.

“Luckily, though, it seems that for a bird, its curse words are not translated to be curse words for ponies. However, I have refrained from saying them in her presence,” Twilight said, before letting out a defeated sigh. “But this still doesn’t tell me about the Phoenix I’ve seen lately, or if it has any connection to why I’m sick.”

Recently, about a week ago, Twilight started feeling sick after seeing a strange colored phoenix; One that had a silver color as opposed to their normal coloration. At first, the sickness was only a shortness of breath and a heavy cough, nothing severe enough to warrant a trip to see a doctor, but lately, things have been steadily getting worse.

Just yesterday, she started coughing up blood and it felt like her insides were being set on fire. Her hair was matted with sweat and so tangled she would need to use her magic directly on each follicle just to detangle it.

Speaking of her magic, it was getting weaker and weaker each day. As it was at the moment, she could barely keep the books she was currently reading aloft without having to resort to holding them with her hooves or mouth.

The increasing severity of her sickness had reached a worrying degree that she had to go to the hospital to find out what was wrong with her. It was there that Twilight learned an unfortunate truth about herself; She was dying.

As it turned out, she had contracted a very deadly strain of Botulism. The sad thing was that because of how late they found it, even if they were to administer treatment, there would be nothing they could do to help Twilight except ease her suffering. Twilight sighed as she remembered the conversation that followed the announcement.


”What do you mean the treatment wouldn’t do any good?!” A light gray unicorn mare shouted at the doctor while Twilight was being held by her father sobbing.

“Please, Ms. Velvet, even if we caught it in time there is still the chance that the treatment would fail. Botulism is difficult to treat. There is a polyvalent (A-E) anti-toxin which is available from Dr. Whitlock at the New Colton Center, University of Whinneapolis. However, it costs about 3,000 bits per patient. The antitoxin is most beneficial if used when patients are first seen to be sick. With supportive care, they can recover but, if they are exposed to a large amount of toxin, most will die despite treatment, And this is not acting like any botulism case I’ve ever seen!” The doctor said explaining why the treatment wouldn’t help.

“Then what am I supposed to do!” Velvet cried, knowing that her daughter was dying and there was nothing they could do at this point. “Please! Tell me there’s something I can do!?”

“I’m sorry Ms. Velvet, but all you can do now is be there with her in her final hours,” He said, his tone sad and understanding, “Why not go to the Summer Sun Celebration that’s being hosted in Ponyville this year? It’s best if she was around her family in a stress-free environment as that would offer some comfort before it comes to pass.” The doctor said.


Twilight sighed letting out another horrible cough, before getting up and heading back to the castle to get ready to go to Ponyville. Just before she could take a step, her magic blinked out, causing Twilight to scramble to catch her books before they hit the ground. After grabbing her books, she was just about to put them in her saddlebags when she noticed a couple of the pages in the book she was just reading were stuck together. Sitting back down, Twilight started to pry the pages apart to see what they contained carefully. When she saw what was written on the page, her eyes widened in surprise, because what was written was a legend of the Phoenix she saw... And a filly.

Author's Note:

Welcome to my new story.

Don't be surprised if updates are slow, I'm just now getting back into writing. If I do pretty well or if I get at least a good amount of Constructive criticism on the story, I might continue.
So here's the story.


Hello, Readers!

Hi Author!

Wha! Pinkie?! How did you get here?! I haven't even written you into the story yet.

Silly Author. I was always here. I was just waiting for you to finish the chapter so I can get my cool new-

Pinkie! Shh! I haven't gotten them ready yet! don't go blabbing the secret yet!

Oops. Hehe.

also, they won't be ready until you meet Twilight and go on your quest to find the elements.

But, I've already-

Shh! do you want to spoil the story.

oh.

don't worry Pinkie, you'll hopefully meet her soon.

Okie, Dokie, Loki. Don't forget the credits for the chapter, though.

Oh, yea I almost forgot, thanks, pinkie. I would like to thank EverfreePony for the permission to use a chapter from his story Natura Semper Liberi as the intro for this chapter.

the only credit I have are the scenes with twilight in them.