• ...
27
 149
 9,740

Infancy

Pinkie held a hoof up to stop Twilight from continuing. “So… there were nine of you?” After a moment Twilight nodded. “All of you born on the same day?”

“Same day? Try same minute.” Twilight stated with a small snort. “Well, while that is true it is known I was the last born. Well, last born alive. In order was Eclipse a female pegasus, Comet Tail a male pegasus, Harvest Moon a female earth pony, Dusk Storm a male earth pony, Moonlight Glow a female unicorn, Darklight Song a male unicorn, Midnight Shadow a female pegasus, Corona Blaze a male pegasus, and…me Twilight Sparkle a female unicorn… Soulfire…stillborn male.” The one who was meant to be with me… She reheated her hot chocolate with a small warming spell as Pinkie continued staring at her. “Are you ready for me to continue now?”

Pinkie simply nodded as Twilight took a sip of her drink.


Princess Celestia flipped through the file that Deep Inquiry had delivered to her. She paused and glanced up to see Clear Dawn waiting patiently. “So it seems the births went mostly well, all the foals excepting the male stillbirth were all fully formed and had excellent Apgar scores. And you were present for your nieces’ birth? A unicorn filly named Twilight Sparkle?”

“I was in the barn yes, however, I did not see her born. The mother of the still-born colt is my nephew Shining Armor’s filly friend. They didn’t allow him to stay with her once she and the baby went into distress. I promised him that I would stay close to the door so I could tell him what was going on. As such, I was the one who saw Deep Inquiry leave with the colt wrapped in a blue blanket.” He reached into his saddlebags with his magic pulling out a rolled scroll. A small picture almost fell to the ground which Celestia caught with her magic and brought to her she smiled. It showed a very proud yet tired mare cradling a tiny purple-furred unicorn.

“Your niece?” Celestia smiled as her guard grinned.

“Yeah, cute little thing isn’t she? She already has Night wrapped around her little hoof. Hel-er heck she’s working her devious ways on me. Ah, actually they are having a special baptism for all of them. I was hoping…” He trailed off as Celestia returned the picture.

“Of course, now…” She frowned “Did you see Deep Inquiry return the colt’s body for burial? I know how religious Saddlemoor is…”

Clear Dawn tucked the picture into his barding before he shook his head. “No, she said she would after an autopsy…” He trailed off as he saw Celestia’s ear flick. “Is…there a problem?”

“How likely do you believe that your nephew’s filly friend or her parents would have signed off on having the colt’s body donated to science?” Celestia’s eyes narrowed as Clear Dawn’s widened giving her the answer she had been suspecting. “Deep Inquiry sent me this report on the live births and of course the still-birth. Said report also included a signed donation form which I must now assume to be naught but a forgery or worse a forced signature taken during the worst moment of that young mare’s life.” Celestia shook her head “Either way, it is obvious I can no longer rely on her word alone. I need some pony who I can trust to help monitor these foals. Somepony who has reason to care. Clear Dawn I need you. I need you to stay in Saddlemoor. Spend time with your family. Love and teach young Twilight Sparkle. But most importantly… watch Deep Inquiry. Report to me weekly.”

“Of course your Highness! As for a report, here is my report of what I saw and experienced during the birth.” He passed the sealed scroll to her. “Is there anything else before I go pack?”

“No, just remember. Report only to me… I have a bad feeling.” Celestia closed her eyes with a sigh. “Be safe my little pony.”


“And I dedicate you Midnight Shadow in the name of the True Sisters. As they watch from above guiding the Sun and the Moon. May you grow in their love and love them in return.” The small purple pegasus foal fussed as her father sprinkled holy water over her forehead.

Clear Dawn glanced around the small chapel it was filled with the residents of Saddlemoor proudly watching as the nine foals the gifts from the sisters as they were known. He mentally frowned. If he had not known he’d have thought all nine of them were related. For all we know they may be… He smiled at his brother who was holding little Twilight Sparkle who caught his own eye with what he could only say was a questioning look. He simply smiled at his little niece as he watched Midnight Shadow’s Mother return to the first two pews where all the infants and their families were.

Everyone of them has the same fur color, the same eye color, even the same mane color. Excepting the stripe of color in their mane…

Clear Dawn did his best to space out during the sermon as he and Twilight stared at one another. Night Light noticed and with a grin passed the foal to her Uncle who took her in his embrace. To his surprise unlike when he held Shining as a foal she didn’t cuddle to him instead she kept staring at him. Almost as if she was trying to understand who he really was. He placed a gentle kiss under her horn as she finally broke eye contact and allowed her eyes to close.


Princess Celestia, per my last report the foals were all baptized last Sunday, Their growth has slowed some but already my niece resembles more of a yearling than the newborn she should be. As of yet, she is not speaking but I will not be surprised once she does. Night and I have a gentle colt’s wager on what her first word will be. He says that it will be Mama. I am certain however it will be book.


Clear Dawn looked up from the report he was working on to see Twilight Sparkle staring up at him a book held in her magic he smiled “Another chapter? Well, I don’t see any reason why not. Come on let's go sit on the couch.” He grinned as his niece almost seemed to teleport over to the couch. He cast a for your eyes only spell on his report and walked over to the couch and sat beside Twilight taking the book from her magic. While Night and Velvet insisted on reading the normal foal books Clear knew Twilight had no joy from them. This was her favorite The Unification: The History of Pre and Early Equestria. “Let's see… Chapter five: Counselor Puddinghead why Equestria is not called Earth.”

Twilight Sparkle sat beside her Uncle and listened to every word. This was far more enjoyable than listening to Mother and Father reading from those… so-called books. Twilight did not care what a rabbit felt like. Now the unification of ponies. That caught her interest.

The door slammed open and Clear and Twilight both looked up to see Shining Armor he glanced at them a moment before he raced upstairs. Twilight Sparkle wasn’t capable of understanding him quite yet. He avoided her most of the time. It was… puzzling. Before her Uncle could continue the chapter her Mother came in.

“Really Dawn? She's too little for such a book.” Velvet tsked as she lifted her baby into a cuddle with her magic. Twilight frowned but allowed her Mother to nuzzle her.

“I keep telling you Vel she brings me the book herself,” Clear noted the page they were on before he closed it. “Shining Armor ran upstairs. Problem at school?”

Velvet shook her head. “I’m not going to push him, Dawn, he and Melody have been… arguing. Poor colt. He knows the statistics of romances failing after well… Anyway, just let him be, hopefully, he’ll come to you when he is ready. Twilight Sparkle and I however have a date.” She giggled pulling a coat onto Twilight. “A play date, Bliss has invited Twilight Sparkle to come to play with Eclipse while we chat over coffee. We’ll be home in a few hours.”

“I’ll keep an eye on Shining have fun Velvet, Twilight Sparkle.” Clear Dawn caught Twilight’s eye the filly did not seem thrilled it was almost as if she was headed into a mandatory meeting. Hmm…


“Well, here we are! I just know you and Eclipse will have so much fun!” She knocked on the door as Twilight stood between her forelegs. She was going to knock again when she heard the blood-curling scream “Bliss!” She used her magic to break the door down not noticing that Twilight was slowly falling behind her. Not noticing as her eyes sought out Eclipe’s who was smiling as her Mother screamed in pain.

Twilight Sparkle simply sat down to wait.

Author's Note:

Sorry, it took so long but I am working on getting back into writing! Hope this chapter was worth the wait.

Comments ( 17 )

Well this definitely took a turn for the tremendously creepy.... And what an ominous final section...

That was a good chapter goodluck with the next one.

You bet it was. Keep posting :raritywink:

Una

This story gives me the exorcist vibes the more I read it. Good story.

11322684
Based of a horror movie called "Village of the damned" about evil alien children posing as humans who were artifically implanted into human women to gestate
Edit: which is itself based on the book "the midwich cuckoos"

Admittedly, NOT the update i was expecting to see today, but welcome nonetheless. Great chapter!

A update yeah

Oh great. Now I'm going to have reread this entire story. Oh well, could be worse.

Oooh not bad. I cant wait to read the next chapter in a few years.

Good to see more of this. Lovely air of menace hanging over everything. Looking forward to future developments.

Nice update. Finding this story interesting. Looking forward to reading more. :twilightsmile:

11323542
Our patience is eternal! :pinkiehappy:

Hoooooly shit I'm living this tracking this now.
Enjoyed when I've read so far looking forward to more.

finally i found time to read the update and man I was not disappointed

With their super fast development and the issues we know twilight deals with, what do you wanna bet all the gifts are mentally broken in some way.

I can't wait for more!! this is a facinating AU

Ohh all reread… and now to rewatch a certain movie.

Login or register to comment