• ...
27
 149
 9,734

Pregnancy

Clear Dawn walked slowly back to the barracks, his brow furrowed as he chewed his lip. I need to talk to the princess, but if my brother finds out… He laid his head against the wall with his eyes closed until he felt a touch on his shoulder. He turned to see the captain staring down at him, a small smile on her lips.

“Bad trip to see your brother, soldier?”

Clear Dawn sighed, sitting on his haunches. “Yes… No… I’m not exactly sure…” He stood up after a moment and saluted. “Ma’am! My mind was elsewhere, ma’am!”

The captain of the guard snorted. “At ease, at ease. We’re just two ponies talking right now, okay, Clear Dawn?”

He nodded, sitting back down. “Alright, Steel Resolve... “

She sat next to him. “Alright, so you left on a one-day emergency family leave, quite irate with your sister-in-law and swearing to bring your brother home away from the loonies. Yet, I notice your older brother seems to still be in Saddlemoor and you aren’t irate anymore. You appear almost lost. What happened?” Steel quietly listened as her soldier and friend told her everything that he had learned and how it was affecting his own family.

“So that's it… something super bizare is happening in that town… something that is affecting my family and everything in my body is screaming to inform the princess, but…” His head lowered as his ears pinned back.

“But, you are afraid what will happen if it gets back to your brother and sister-in-law,” Steel finished for him, then stood up. “Come on, get up… Fix your barding.”

He stood up as well, his horn glowing. “What’s going on?”

“We’re going to talk to the princess. Don’t worry, I’m certain this can be handled without the princess having to investigate herself.” She placed a hoof on his shoulder. “Family is very important to the princess, you know that.”

Clear Dawn smiled and nodded, following his Captain’s lead as they headed to request an audience.


Princess Celestia sat calmly as she listened to the entire report. She sighed upon its conclusion. “I see. Well I understand, Sergeant, that you’d prefer that your brother not find out you spoke to me about this. So I will monitor this from afar. Deep Inquiry put in a request a few days ago asking if she could return to Saddlemoor to study what could have caused the event.” She brought her hoof to her chin. “I wonder how the two are connected...” She shook her head. “I’m prepared to give the families affected 10,000 bits per child as long as they allow Deep Inquiry to run her non-invasive tests. Clear Dawn, I have a mission for you as well.”

The stallion felt himself stand straighter as Celestia’s full attention was on him.

“This is your family. You’ll have the best view of what is really going on. Talk to your family, send letters, visit. Most importantly, be there for them and your new niece or nephew. If you find out something that seems… ‘off,’ I do request you report them to me.” She shrugged her wings after a moment. “Saddlemoor doesn’t believe I’m the true Princess of the Sun and know me as the false lady. Therefore, if I can avoid it I’d prefer to remain here and not cause them heartache.”

“I understand, Princess. Thank you for putting your trust in me.” Clear Dawn saluted properly as he and his captain were dismissed.

Celestia shook her head. “Raven, make sure that Deep Inquiry is informed that her request is to be granted.”

Raven nodded and marked it down, watching as Celestia appeared to stare off at nothing for several moments.

What will come of all this, I wonder…


Clear Dawn opened the letter from Night Light that arrived a few weeks later, relaxing on his bunk.

Hey big brother! Velvet and Shining send their love. Sorry it took so long to get back to you after your letter, but frankly, it’s been chaos here! A doctor from the government came last week offering each family 10,000 bits per year per baby if we allow her to do non-invasive tests. Well, after a few days of praying we all agreed. This extra money will really help because Velvet’s pregnancy is already half over! I know what you’re thinking and you’re right; Velvet is only 8 weeks pregnant. The doctor, Deep Inquiry, seems to think the babies will be here sooner than later. They check all the mares on a daily basis. It is a bother, but I love hearing the foal’s heartbeat. For some reason the ultrasound isn’t functioning, but that’s okay since it means we get a big surprise!

Love you,

-Night

Clear Dawn folded the letter and checked his calendar. “Let’s see… this is the event… and we’re here, so I’d say I’ll have my niece or nephew in another two months. I better request leave now.”

“Why don’t you head up there for a day or so?”

Clear Dawn turned in surprise and smiled. “Captain! I guess you overheard me talking to myself.”

“Mmm, you’d be guessing right, Sergeant. Now as I said: head back to your brother for a few days. I bet they’re all frantic trying to get the nursery done in such a short amount of time, so surprise them. It’ll be good for all of you!”

Clear Dawn considered for a moment and nodded. “I’ll take the night train to get there in time for breakfast. Velvet makes some amazing pancakes.”


Shining Armor yawned widely as a knock beckoned him towards the door. “Don’t ponies understand we’re supposed to sleep in on Saturday?” He opened the door and a wide grin appeared on his face. “Uncle Dawn!”

Clear Dawn set his bag down and ruffled Shining’s mane. “Hey, slugger! Thought I’d come surprise all of you. I’m here for a few days, so I’ll see if in that amount of time your dad and I can figure out the crib.”

“I wouldn't bet on it. If I remember correctly it took you stallions a full week when we were having Shining.” Velvet smiled as she emerged from the kitchen, her belly particularly prominent and a maternal glow about her.

Clear Dawn walked over and wrapped Velvet in a hug and kissed her cheek. “And there is the most beautiful mare I’ve ever seen. Pregnancy just makes you shine!”

“Flattery will get you everywhere, Dawn. Now come on in; I’m making pancakes!”

Dawn smiled as he let himself be led to the guest room by his eager nephew.


“And we again thank The Sisters for how easy every one of the pregnancies they blessed us with have been, and swear to them that all of these foals will be brought up in the ways of your blessed church!”

“We swear!”

Moral Compass smiled down at his congregation. “Again, I thank you all for coming and recognize brother Night Light’s sibling as family. Even if he does serve the false lady, we pray he will reflect on this sermon and re-evaluate his life!”

As everypony headed to leave, Clear Dawn glanced at Night Light. “Was that a veiled attempt to get me to quit being part of the guard?”

Night Light shrugged. “With the Father, one can never be completely sure. Every now and then I get a lecture of concentrating too much of my life to the Night Sister.” He shook his head. “Sorry, Father, I’m an astronomer. The stars are best visible at night. Anyway, forget the sermon; let's get some sodas and tackle that crib!”

“Can mine be a beer?” Clear Dawn sighed after a moment.

“Sorry, big bro. The best you’ll find here in Saddlemoor is root beer.” Night Light chuckled as Clear Dawn groaned.

“Fine, fine... root beer it is.”

Neither stallion noticed the red-maned unicorn mare watching them through narrowed eyes as she took a long draw from her cigarette.