• ...
27
 149
 9,734

Pinkie learns

“It’s a Birthday, it’s a birthday, it’s almost Twilight’s birthday!” Pinkie Pie announced while she bounced eagerly in place. She glanced around quickly and pulled a hidden lever, dropping the floor out from under her and sending her plunging down a slide to her party cave, giggling the whole way down. “Making that slide was the best decision, ever!”

After she landed, she trotted over to a large filing cabinet and pulled out Twilight’s file. “Okay, let’s see... likes... dislikes… huh, that's weird!” She pulled Twilight’s birth certificate out and frowned, seeing an indent on the back of it. “That’s funny! The indent says 995, but the front says 985… that's a super funny 8 though! Maybe Twilight knows why her birth certificate is super wonky?”

After a few minutes, she was back in her bedroom, clutching Twilight’s birth certificate, humming as she shoved it into her mane and bounded downstairs. “Mrs. Cake, Mr. Cake, I’m going over to Twilight’s! I think she’s hiding a super big secret from all of ponykind and it may be what destroys everypony we love!”

“Alright, Pinkie. Just be back by the twin’s bedtime,” Mrs. Cake answered before pulling cupcakes from the oven.

“That’s right.” Mr. Cake glanced over to his wife, rolling his eyes. “We need you to watch them while we clean up after closing.”

“You betcha!” Pinkie waved and took off like a bullet towards the crystal palace.


Twilight leafed through a large book and sighed, shutting it and laying her chin on it. “So bored…”

Spike raised an eyebrow. “Well, why not have another magic duel with Starlight?”

“She’s visiting Sunburst in the Crystal Empire. She’ll be home in time for my birthday Saturday.” Twilight sighed, putting the book back in its spot. Her ear flicked as she heard a familiar voice yelling her name.

“Twilight! Twilight!”

“I’m in the library, Pinkie!” Twilight called out with a smile. Pinkie will help me get rid of this boredom!

Pinkie poked her head in and grinned. “Found you! Oh hey, Twilight, isn’t this supposed to be a ballroom? I mean, I went to the library first, but nopony was there, so I just started looking in every room here!”

Twilight rubbed the back of her head and poked her tongue out. “Well… Yeah, but the normal library was too small for all my books.”

Pinkie rubbed her chin before nodding. “Yeah, okay, that makes sense.. oh! I wanted to talk to you! It’s super-duper important!”

“Well, I'm always here to help in any way I can, Pinkie Pie. Would you like some tea first?” Twilight smiled over at Spike.

“Nah! Oh, but I could go for a huge mug of hot chocolate!” Pinkie beamed over at Spike. “And make one for yourself too!”

“That sounds great. Spike, may I have some hot chocolate as well?” Twilight smiled over at Spike as he rolled his eyes. “Also, why don’t you take a few bits and buy yourself that new issue of Power Ponies you’ve been asking for?”

“Really? You’re the best, Twilight!” Spike raced over to Twilight and hugged her tight before sprinting towards the kitchen.

Twilight shook her head and laughed. “He’s such an easy one to please.” She then turned her gaze to her friend, ready for whatever insanity she might bring on to help with her boredom. “So Pinkie, what’s going on?”

“Well, you know how your birthday is on Saturday?” Pinkie asked, sitting down across from Twilight.

“Well, yes. It is my birthday after all,” Twilight giggled.

“Right! So I was in my party cave to check if I had anything planned for this year when I found something really, really weird!” Pinkie reached into her mane as Spike walked back in carrying a tray with two large cups of hot chocolate and a plate of cookies.

“Here you go, Twilight. Is there anything else you need?” Spike bounced from foot to foot as Twilight levitated her saddle bags over and gave Spike several bits.

“No, I should be good. Have a fun time with your friends, and eat something healthy for lunch!” Twilight called after his retreating figure.

“No promises!”

Twilight winced as the door slammed shut. Ugh, I wish he’d learn to shut that door a bit softer… oh well, he’ll be with his friends the rest of the day, probably eating junk food and downing colt cola… I should plan a nice healthy meal for when he gets home. She shook her head. “Anyway, you said you found something weird about me in your party cave? What was it?”

“Right! So I was looking at your file, and everything looked just fine-arooni, but then I noticed your birth certificate wasn’t in the right spot, so I picked it up!” Pinkie took a deep gulp of her hot chocolate and bit into a cookie “Mmm, Spike makes good cookies!”

“Wait, my birth certificate? You have my birth certificate? How? Why?” Twilight tried to stay calm as her mug trembled in her magic.

“It was easy! I have a copy of the birth certificate of every pony in Ponyville, and every donkey and mule and-” Pinkie stopped as Twilight shoved a cookie into her mouth with a burst of magic

“I get the idea, Pinkie. So, you have everyone’s birth certificate.” Twilight sighed, looking down at the table.

“Yep yep yep! Anyways, yours was backwards, so I noticed something really weird! Twilight, did you know that you have two birthdays on your birth certificate? Oh! Does that mean you were born twice? Is that even possible?” Pinkie pulled the official document out of her mane, and Twilight stared at it. The picture attached was her as a newborn staring up at the camera and that stupid eight…

“So the copy you got had a mistake on it. That happens, Pinkie. Even magic isn’t perfect.” Twilight glanced away as Pinkie narrowed her eyes at the document in question.

“Are you sure about that Twilight? I mean, every other birth certificate I've gotten is an exact copy of the real thing, so it doesn’t make sense... “ Pinkie’s eyes widened as she looked up at Twilight with a beaming grin. “You know, if you were born twice that would mean you get double birthdays! Oh, that would be fantastic! I’d be the first party pony ever to throw a double-birth birthday party!”

Twilight’s eyes widened at Pinkie’s excitement as she chewed viciously at her lip. No way I can ever have a double-birth birthday party… no way. “No Pinkie. I wasn’t born twice. I.. I…” She looked at her friend. “I swear that I want to tell you the truth, but I just can't.” She turned her gaze down to the document in front of her before looking back up at Pinkie a single tear running down her cheek. “Please… don’t make me.”

Pinkie frowned, her ears flicking as she thought before finally shaking her head and smiling. “It’s okay Twi-twi. Nopony but you and I ever have to know about this!” And, to Twilight’s relief, she grabbed the document roughly folding it and causing the picture of newborn Twilight to fall onto the table. Twilight stared at it.

“Pinkie… Pinkie wait… Maybe, maybe it is time. Maybe you need to know who, and what, I am….” Twilight’s ears pinned back against her head as she gripped her tail. “What happened seven years ago.”

Author's Note:

I know, I know I have many stories to write. But when you get super inspired what can you do? I hope you all enjoyed, next update will not be anything new promise! (Unless it's for a commission)