• Published 8th Dec 2016
  • 6,668 Views, 351 Comments

Of Men and Insects - VeganSpyro97



Chrysalis has lost. The Changelings have a new leader, and all is right with the world.... Or, it was.

  • ...
31
 351
 6,668

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 8: A Little Hard Work

Chapter​ ​8:​ ​A​ ​Little​ ​Hard​ ​Work

The​ ​image​ ​of​ ​a​ ​large​ ​blue​ ​pony​ ​sitting​ ​beside​ ​him​ ​in​ ​a​ ​deep​ ​blue​ ​Ferrari,​ ​with​ ​her​ ​leaning​ ​out of​ ​the​ ​window​ ​to​ ​whoop​ ​in​ ​exhilaration​ lingered​ ​in​ ​Alan's​ ​mind​ ​as​ ​he​ ​slowly​ ​returned​ ​from​ ​the​ ​realm of​ ​sleep.​ ​He​ ​felt​ ​a​ ​little​ ​sore​ ​after​ ​yesterday,​ ​but​ ​otherwise​ ​felt​ ​alright. Blinking​ ​himself​ ​awake,​ ​Ponyville’s​ ​newest​ ​resident​ ​groggily​ ​sat​ ​up​ ​in​ ​bed,​ ​yawning​ ​loudly.​ ​His stomach​ ​growled,​ ​but​ ​not​ ​because​ ​he​ ​was​ ​hungry.​ ​If​ ​anything,​ ​it​ ​felt​ ​the​ ​opposite.​ ​Thinking​ ​on​ ​it,​ ​he realized​ ​that​ ​all​ ​the​ ​food​ ​he​ ​had​ ​had​ ​over​ ​the​ ​past​ ​few​ ​days​ ​was​ ​still​ ​sitting​ ​in​ ​his​ ​stomach,​ ​as​ ​he​ ​had yet​ ​to​ ​visit​ ​a​ ​bathroom​ ​for…​ ​nature’s​ ​call.

Groaning​ ​at​ ​the​ ​tightness​ ​in​ ​his​ ​gut,​ ​Allan​ ​slung​ ​himself​ ​over​ ​the​ ​edge​ ​of​ ​the​ ​bed​ ​frame​ ​and onto​ ​his​ ​hooves,​ ​this​ ​time​ ​managing​ ​not​ ​fall​ ​flat​ ​on​ ​his​ ​face,​ ​which​ ​he​ ​found​ ​rather​ ​refreshing. Stumbling​ ​like​ ​a​ ​drunkard​ ​to​ ​the​ ​door​ ​to​ ​his​ ​room,​ ​Allan​ ​managed​ ​to​ ​also​ ​refrain​ ​from​ ​hitting​ ​the door​ ​frame,​ ​another​ ​small​ ​victory.​ ​He​ ​stopped,​ ​and​ ​furrowed​ ​his​ ​brow​ ​as​ ​he​ ​tried​ ​to​ ​put​ ​his​ ​magic​ ​to use​ ​by​ ​opening​ ​the​ ​door.​ ​It​ ​took​ ​some​ ​effort​ ​on​ ​his​ ​part,​ ​but​ ​he​ ​did​ ​it,​ ​breathing​ ​heavily​ ​when​ ​he finished.​ ​The​ ​door​ ​was​ ​open,​ ​and​ ​Allan​ ​felt​ ​just​ ​a​ ​little​ ​proud​ ​of​ ​himself​ ​for​ ​doing​ ​it​ ​with​ ​magic.

Trotting​ ​out​ ​into​ ​the​ ​hall,​ ​Allan​ ​ran​ ​smack​ ​into​ ​something,​ ​falling​ ​over​ ​in​ ​a​ ​tangle​ ​of​ ​limbs.

“Ow….”​ ​Allan​ ​groaned,​ ​nursing​ ​his​ ​sore​ ​muzzle.​ ​“What…?”​ ​Alan's​ ​eyes​ ​sprang​ ​open​ ​and​ ​his wings​ ​flared​ ​out​ ​wide​ ​as​ ​he​ ​realized​ ​what​ ​he’d​ ​fallen​ ​on.

Fluttershy,​ ​her​ ​hooves​ ​curled​ ​up​ ​onto​ ​her​ ​chest,​ ​and​ ​a​ ​blush​ ​on​ ​her​ ​cheeks,​ ​stared​ ​back​ ​up​ ​at him.

“Err….”​ ​The​ ​changeling​ ​carefully​ ​stood​ ​back​ ​up,​ ​and​ ​backed​ ​away​ ​from​ ​his​ ​host.​ ​“Sorry...I didn’t​ ​see​ ​you​ ​there.”

Fluttershy​ ​stood​ ​up​ ​too,​ ​hiding​ ​one​ ​of​ ​her​ ​eyes​ ​behind​ ​her​ ​mane,​ ​and​ ​peering​ ​back​ ​out​ ​at him.​ ​“I-it’s​ ​okay…​ ​It​ ​was​ ​an​ ​accident….”

They​ ​stood​ ​there​ ​for​ ​a​ ​painfully​ ​awkward​ ​moment,​ ​Allan​ ​tapping​ ​the​ ​floor​ ​with​ ​his​ ​back​ ​hoof and​ ​trying​ ​not​ ​to​ ​look​ ​at​ ​the​ ​shy​ ​mare.​ ​Flutters​ ​did​ ​much​ ​the​ ​same,​ ​pawing​ ​at​ ​the​ ​ground​ ​with​ ​her front​ ​hoof.

Allan​ ​sucked​ ​in​ ​a​ ​breath,​ ​and​ ​then​ ​broke​ ​the​ ​silence.​ ​“So…​ ​shall​ ​we​ ​go​ ​downstairs,​ ​and​ ​have breakfast,​ ​and​ ​pretend​ ​this​ ​didn’t​ ​happen?”

Fluttershy​ ​thought​ ​about​ ​that​ ​for​ ​a​ ​whopping​ ​one​ ​point​ ​three​ ​seconds​ ​before​ ​nodding.
*******************

Breakfast​ ​was​ ​understandably​ ​awkward,​ ​with​ ​both​ ​pony​ ​and​ ​changeling​ ​completely​ ​unable to​ ​talk​ ​to​ ​one​ ​another​ ​for​ ​fear​ ​of​ ​saying​ something​ ​stupid,​ ​and​ ​and​ ​unable​ ​to​ ​look​ ​at​ ​one​ ​another​ ​for fear​ ​of​ ​it​ ​being​ ​a​ ​bad​ ​idea.​ ​So​ ​silence​ ​ruled​ ​throughout​ ​the​ ​cottage​ ​during​ ​their​ ​meal,​ ​and​ ​for​ ​the​ ​first little​ ​while​ ​after,​ ​as​ ​the​ ​two​ ​tried​ ​their​ ​best​ ​to​ ​clean​ ​up​ ​without​ ​invoking​ ​further​ ​embarrassment.

Fluttershy​ ​had​ ​more​ ​veterinarian​ ​business​ ​to​ ​take​ ​care​ ​of​ ​in​ ​town,​ ​and​ ​so​ ​Allan​ ​was​ ​once again​ ​left​ ​behind.​ ​With​ ​Angel.

Allan​ ​sat,​ ​his​ ​study​ ​books​ ​splayed​ ​out​ ​in​ ​front​ ​of​ ​him​ ​as​ ​he​ ​studiously​ ​copied​ ​down​ ​notes,​ ​his quill​ ​flicking​ ​back​ ​and​ ​forth​ ​in​ ​a​ ​hectic​ ​display​ ​of​ ​increasingly​ ​easier​ ​magic.​ ​While​ ​his​ ​first​ ​attempts had​ ​left​ ​him​ ​with​ ​a​ ​headache​ ​within​ ​a​ ​minute​ ​or​ ​two,​ ​and​ ​the​ ​door​ ​had​ ​been​ ​a​ ​bit​ ​more​ ​challenging, having​ ​to​ ​both​ ​twist​ ​and​ ​pull​ ​an​ ​object​ ​of​ ​more​ ​mass​ ​than​ ​a​ ​simple​ ​quill,​ ​he​ ​was​ ​finding​ ​it​ ​easier​ ​to manipulate​ ​smaller​ ​objects​ ​about​ ​in​ ​his​ ​telekinesis.​ ​Almost​ ​fifteen​ ​minutes​ ​had​ ​passed​ ​already,​ ​and only​ ​now​ ​was​ ​he​ ​starting​ ​to​ ​feel​ ​a​ ​little​ ​pinch​ ​in​ ​his​ ​forehead,​ ​a​ ​tell-tale​ ​sign​ ​of​ ​magic​ ​overuse. If​ ​his​ ​magic​ ​was​ ​like​ ​a​ ​muscle​ ​that​ ​grew​ ​stronger​ ​with​ ​both​ ​use​ ​and​ ​age,​ ​then​ ​Allan​ ​was already​ ​determined​ ​to​ ​exercise​ ​it​ ​as​ ​often​ ​as​ ​he​ ​could…​ ​at​ ​least​ ​until​ ​he​ ​could​ ​go​ ​home.​ ​The​ ​things​ ​he might​ ​be​ ​able​ ​to​ ​do​ ​with​ ​it….​ ​Well,​ ​that​ ​had​ ​long​ ​been​ ​a​ ​dream​ ​of​ ​humanity,​ ​hadn’t​ ​it?​ ​To​ ​have, understand,​ ​and​ ​wield​ ​magical​ ​power?​ ​Back​ ​home​ ​it​ ​was​ ​a​ ​dream​ ​of​ ​pure​ ​fantasy,​ ​one​ ​that​ ​could
never​ ​come​ ​true.​ ​But​ ​here?​ ​Here​ ​it​ ​was​ ​real.​ ​He​ ​could​ ​use​ ​magic!​ ​Real​ ​magic!​ ​Not​ ​some​ ​cheap,​ ​tacky street​ ​magician​ ​stuff,​ ​but​ ​real​ ​magic!

At​ ​least,​ ​he​ ​could​ ​if​ ​Angel​ ​didn’t​ ​keep​ ​him​ ​from​ ​his​ ​studies.​ ​Allan​ ​paused​ ​to​ ​glare​ ​at​ ​the bunny​ ​from​ ​over​ ​the​ ​top​ ​of​ ​the​ ​book,​ ​which​ ​was​ ​propped​ ​up​ ​on​ ​several​ ​of​ ​it’s​ ​fellows​ ​so​ ​that​ ​Allan might​ ​read​ ​it​ ​a​ ​little​ ​easier.

Twilight​ ​and​ ​Rarity​ ​had​ ​given​ ​him​ ​basic​ ​instruction,​ ​but​ ​he​ ​wanted​ ​to​ ​try​ ​something​ ​else.

Something,​ ​a​ ​bit​ ​more​ ​challenging.​ ​Looking​ ​up​ ​at​ ​Angel​ ​again,​ ​who​ ​he​ ​had​ ​bribed​ ​with​ ​carrots​ ​to​ ​stay away​ ​from​ ​him,​ ​Allan​ ​narrowed​ ​his​ ​eyes,​ ​going​ ​through​ ​the​ ​spell​ ​formula​ ​in​ ​the​ ​book,​ ​muttering​ ​the words​ ​out​ ​loud​ ​to​ ​help​ ​him​ ​focus,​ ​and​ ​drew​ ​upon​ ​his​ ​magic.

As​ ​Angel​ ​continued​ ​on,​ ​blissfully​ ​unaware,​ ​Alan's​ ​horn​ ​lit​ ​up​ ​bright​ ​blue,​ ​and​ ​a​ ​similarly shaded​ ​glow​ ​began​ ​to​ ​fill​ ​the​ ​air​ ​around​ ​the​ ​bunny,​ ​flickering​ ​with​ ​the​ ​effort​ ​Allan​ ​was​ ​taking​ ​to​ ​keep the​ ​spell​ ​going.​ ​The​ ​glow​ ​became​ ​brighter,​ ​but​ ​also​ ​thinner,​ ​forming​ ​a​ ​semi-spheroid​ ​shape​ ​over​ ​the rabbit,​ ​who​ ​kept​ ​eating,​ ​unaware.​ ​Allan​ ​ground​ ​his​ ​teeth​ ​together,​ ​hard,​ ​with​ ​the​ ​effort,​ ​breathing heavily,​ ​as​ ​he​ ​had​ ​with​ ​the​ ​door.​ ​The​ ​barrier​ ​solidified,​ ​become​ ​an​ ​actual,​ ​solid​ ​surface​ ​to​ ​keep something​ ​either​ ​inside,​ ​or​ ​outside​ ​of​ ​it.

Grinning,​ ​Allan​ ​let​ ​the​ ​spell​ ​go,​ ​and​ ​stuck​ ​his​ ​tongue​ ​out​ ​at​ ​Angel,​ ​who​ ​had​ ​just​ ​unwittingly helped​ ​him​ ​try​ ​that​ ​spell.​ ​He​ ​stood​ ​up,​ ​wobbled​ ​a​ ​bit,​ ​and​ ​then​ ​went​ ​to​ ​get​ ​a​ ​bite​ ​to​ ​eat,​ ​and​ ​quickly siphoned​ ​off​ ​a​ ​bit​ ​of​ ​emotion​ ​from​ ​a​ ​family​ ​of​ ​dormice​ ​who​ ​lived​ ​in​ ​a​ ​whole​ ​in​ ​the​ ​wall​ ​of​ ​the​ ​living room.
********************

After​ ​Rainbow’s​ ​visit​ ​the​ ​day​ ​before,​ ​Allan​ ​was​ ​not​ ​exactly​ ​expecting​ ​another​ ​knock​ ​at​ ​the door​ ​so​ ​soon.​ ​He​ ​carefully​ ​peeked​ ​out​ ​of​ ​the​ ​window,​ ​trying​ ​to​ ​see​ ​who​ ​it​ ​was​ ​standing​ ​at​ ​the​ ​door, and​ ​he​ ​was​ ​surprised​ ​to​ ​see​ ​that​ ​the​ ​pony​ ​standing​ ​there​ ​was​ ​Applejack,​ ​her​ ​red​ ​neckerchief,​ ​her mane,​ ​and​ ​her​ ​tail​ ​all​ ​gently​ ​moving​ ​about​ ​in​ ​the​ ​morning​ ​breeze.

Allan​ ​cautiously​ ​opened​ ​the​ ​door,​ ​looking​ ​around​ ​for​ ​any​ ​other​ ​ponies​ ​that​ ​might​ ​be​ ​nearby.

“Good​ ​morning,​ ​Applejack.​ ​Are​ ​you​ ​looking​ ​for​ ​Fluttershy?”

Applejack​ ​smiled​ ​brightly,​ ​but​ ​Allan​ ​could​ ​sense​ ​a​ ​slight​ ​undercurrent​ ​of​ ​distrust.​ ​It​ ​tasted disgusting,​ ​a​ ​horrid​ ​combination​ ​of​ ​how​ ​he​ ​imagined​ ​rotten​ ​fish​ ​would​ ​taste,​ ​with​ ​a​ ​hint​ ​of​ ​sour​ ​milk. The​ ​tasting​ ​of​ ​emotions​ ​was​ ​something​ ​he​ ​was​ ​growing​ ​more​ ​accustomed​ ​to,​ ​but​ ​the​ ​various​ ​tastes was​ ​something​ ​he​ ​was​ ​not.​ ​Kindness​ ​and​ ​concern​ ​he​ ​was​ ​most​ ​familiar​ ​with,​ ​living​ ​with​ ​Fluttershy.

Others​ ​were​ ​less​ ​familiar,​ ​and​ ​he​ ​had​ ​done​ ​a​ ​decent​ ​job​ ​ignoring​ ​some​ ​of​ ​the​ ​more…​ ​unpleasant emotions​ ​so​ ​far,​ ​including​ ​dislike. Unaware​ ​of​ ​just​ ​how​ ​easy​ ​it​ ​was​ ​for​ ​a​ ​changeling​ ​to​ ​know​ ​how​ ​you​ ​really​ ​feel,​ ​Applejack started​ ​to​ ​talk​ ​as​ ​though​ ​her​ ​private​ ​emotions​ ​and​ ​thoughts​ ​didn’t​ ​entertain​ ​the​ ​notion​ ​of​ ​Allan being​ ​someone​ ​untrustworthy.​ ​“Well,​ ​sugarcube,​ ​I’m​ ​actually​ ​here​ ​to​ ​talk​ ​to​ ​you.”

Allan​ ​cocked​ ​his​ ​head​ ​to​ ​one​ ​side,​ ​curious.​ ​“What​ ​about?”

“Well,​ ​Princess​ ​Twilight​ ​thought​ ​it​ ​would​ ​be​ ​good​ ​for​ ​ya​ ​to​ ​get​ ​out​ ​and​ ​do​ ​something​ ​to​ ​take your​ ​mind​ ​off​ ​of​ ​things,​ ​so​ ​Ah​ ​thought,​ ​maybe,​ ​you’d​ ​like​ ​to​ ​come​ ​on​ ​down​ ​to​ ​the​ ​farm​ ​and​ ​help​ ​out fer​ ​a​ ​bit?​ ​We’d​ ​be​ ​payin’​ ​ya​ ​too.​ ​No​ ​sense​ ​in​ ​you​ ​doin’​ ​hard​ ​work​ ​for​ ​nuthin’.”​ ​Applejack​ ​spoke​ ​with sincerity​ ​in​ ​her​ ​eyes,​ ​despite​ ​her​ ​hidden​ ​reservations.

Allan​ ​looked​ ​at​ ​her,​ ​not​ ​quite​ ​sure​ ​what​ ​to​ ​make.​ ​She​ ​was​ ​the​ ​paragon​ ​of​ ​honesty​ ​in​ ​this world,​ ​if​ ​her​ ​title​ ​of​ ​Element​ ​of​ ​Honesty​ ​meant​ ​anything​ ​more​ ​than​ ​a​ ​pretty​ ​necklace​ ​to​ ​wear.​ ​She seemed​ ​to​ ​want​ ​to​ ​at​ ​least​ ​give​ ​him​ ​the​ ​opportunity​ ​to​ ​prove​ ​himself,​ ​which​ ​he​ ​now​ ​recognized​ ​as​ ​a small​ ​taste​ ​of​ ​mint​ ​that​ ​he​ ​knew​ ​to​ ​be​ ​something​ ​akin​ ​to​ ​hope.

“I​ ​think…”​ ​Allan​ ​paused,​ ​quickly​ ​going​ ​over​ ​the​ ​reasons​ ​for,​ ​and​ ​against,​ ​taking​ ​some​ ​time​ ​to go​ ​working​ ​on​ ​the​ ​farm.​ ​“I​ ​think​ ​it​ ​would​ ​be​ ​lovely.​ ​Thank​ ​you​ ​for​ ​asking​ ​me.​ ​I​ ​know​ ​it​ ​isn’t​ ​easy​ ​to trust​ ​a​ ​changeling,​ ​even​ ​after​ ​what​ ​happened.”

Applejack​ ​simply​ ​smiled.​ ​“You​ ​ain’t​ ​done​ ​anything​ ​to​ ​make​ ​me​ ​suspicious,​ ​so​ ​I’m​ ​gonna​ ​do my​ ​darndest​ ​to​ ​give​ ​ya​ ​the​ ​benefit​ ​of​ ​the​ ​doubt.”

“Well,​ ​thank​ ​you.​ ​I’ll​ ​be​ ​right​ ​with​ ​you​ ​in​ ​a​ ​minute,​ ​I​ ​just​ ​have​ ​to​ ​put​ ​away​ ​my​ ​study​ ​books.​ ​I don’t​ ​think​ ​the​ ​Princess​ ​would​ ​take​ ​too​ ​kindly​ ​to​ ​me​ ​letting​ ​the​ ​books​ ​get​ ​damaged​ ​in​ ​any​ ​way.”

“Ah​ ​hear​ ​ya.”​ ​Applejack​ ​said​ ​with​ ​a​ ​nod.​ ​“So,​ ​y’all​ ​are​ ​comin’​ ​down​ ​to​ ​the​ ​farm?”

“Yeah,​ ​just​ ​give​ ​me​ ​a​ ​minute​ ​to​ ​get​ ​my​ ​cloak.”​ ​Allan​ ​darted​ ​back​ ​inside,​ ​returning​ ​a​ ​few moments​ ​later​ ​with​ ​his​ ​cloak,​ ​using​ ​his​ ​magic​ ​to​ ​quickly​ ​tie​ ​it​ ​into​ ​place.

“Alright.​ ​I’m​ ​pretty​ ​sure​ ​mah​ ​family​ ​will​ ​like​ ​ya.​ ​I​ ​don’t​ ​think​ ​we’ll​ ​have​ ​any​ ​problems.”

********************

“Ah​ ​got​ ​a​ ​problem​ ​with​ ​‘im.”

Granny​ ​Smith​ ​was​ ​by​ ​far​ ​the​ ​oldest​ ​pony​ ​that​ ​Allan​ ​had​ ​met​ ​yet,​ ​with​ ​wrinkled​ ​skin​ ​and​ ​a thinning​ ​green​ ​coat​ ​that​ ​was​ ​threatening​ ​her​ ​with​ ​bald​ ​patches​ ​should​ ​she​ ​stay​ ​alive​ ​for​ ​much​ ​longer. He​ ​had​ ​no​ ​idea​ ​just​ ​how​ ​old​ ​the​ ​crotchety​ ​old​ ​coot​ ​actually​ ​was,​ ​nor​ ​did​ ​he​ ​have​ ​any​ ​sort​ ​of​ ​clue​ ​as to​ ​the​ ​reasons​ ​why​ ​she​ ​preferred​ ​to​ ​slump​ ​in​ ​her​ ​rocking​ ​chair​ ​in​ ​the​ ​way​ ​she​ ​did,​ ​because,​ ​as​ ​with most​ ​older​ ​folk,​ ​only​ ​she​ ​knew​ ​the​ ​exact​ ​reason.​ ​Or,​ ​she​ ​may​ ​have​ ​done.​ ​She’d​ ​most​ ​likely​ ​forgotten​ ​it by​ ​now.​ ​Her​ ​Cutie​ ​mark​ ​was​ ​an​ ​apple​ ​pie,​ ​which​ ​Allan​ ​assumed​ ​meant​ ​she​ ​had​ ​some​ ​sort​ ​of​ ​talent​ ​for making​ ​apple​ ​based​ ​treats,​ ​although​ ​of​ ​course,​ ​she​ ​could​ ​just​ ​have​ ​easily​ ​had​ ​a​ ​talent​ ​for​ ​eating​ ​them
instead.​ ​Nothing​ ​made​ ​sense​ ​in​ ​a​ ​world​ ​ruled​ ​by​ ​magic.

Applejack​ ​held​ ​back​ ​a​ ​groan​ ​of​ ​frustration​ ​from​ ​where​ ​she​ ​stood​ ​beside​ ​the​ ​slightly​ ​taller changeling​ ​stallion,​ ​and​ ​was​ ​also​ ​able​ ​to​ ​resist​ ​hitting​ ​her​ ​face​ ​with​ ​her​ ​hoof. “What’s​ ​wrong​ ​with​ ​him?”​ ​She​ ​asked,​ ​her​ ​eyes​ ​narrowed.

Allan​ ​found​ ​himself​ ​asking​ ​the​ ​same​ ​question​ ​from​ ​underneath​ ​his​ ​lovely​ ​blue​ ​cloak,​ ​which had​ ​once​ ​again​ ​shielded​ ​him​ ​from​ ​prying​ ​eyes​ ​on​ ​his​ ​trip​ ​through​ ​Ponyville.​ ​What​ ​was​ ​wrong​ ​with him?​ ​Besides​ ​the​ ​bloody​ ​obvious...

“Why,​ ​his​ ​legs​ ​are​ ​so​ ​skinny,​ ​they’d​ ​snap​ ​off​ ​quicker​ ​than​ ​a​ ​plywood​ ​shovel​ ​handle​ ​the moment​ ​he​ ​so​ ​much​ ​as​ ​tried​ ​to​ ​buck​ ​an​ ​apple​ ​or​ ​pull​ ​a​ ​plow!”​ ​Granny​ ​Smith​ ​explained,​ ​her​ ​aged southern​ ​accent​ ​making​ ​most​ ​of​ ​what​ ​she​ ​said​ ​incredibly​ ​hard​ ​to​ ​understand.

“I’m​ ​stronger​ ​than​ ​I​ ​look.”​ ​Allan​ ​tried​ ​to​ ​sound​ ​tougher​ ​than​ ​he​ ​was,​ ​but​ ​failed​ ​miserably under​ ​the​ ​watchful​ ​scrutiny​ ​of​ ​Big​ ​Macintosh,​ ​Applejack’s​ ​enormous​ ​older​ ​brother.​ ​The​ ​pony​ ​seemed to​ ​be​ ​a​ ​slab​ ​of​ ​muscle​ ​piled​ ​on​ ​top​ ​of​ ​bone,​ ​tough​ ​and​ ​sturdy,​ ​built​ ​like​ ​a​ ​tank​ ​and​ ​with​ ​a​ ​solid,​ ​quiet disposition​ ​to​ ​match.​ ​The​ ​reason​ ​he​ ​seemed​ ​this​ ​way​ ​was​ ​because​ ​that’s​ ​exactly​ ​what​ ​he​ ​was.​ ​The red​ ​coated​ ​stallion,​ ​with​ ​his​ ​green,​ ​half-apple​ ​cutie-mark​ ​was​ ​quiet,​ ​strong,​ ​and​ ​intimidating.​ ​Just​ ​the fact​ ​that​ ​he​ ​stood​ ​almost​ ​to​ ​Allans​ ​height,​ ​and​ ​had​ ​a​ ​much​ ​broader​ ​shoulder​ ​width,​ ​and​ ​a​ ​neck​ ​as thick​ ​as​ ​his​ ​head​ ​was​ ​enough​ ​to​ ​cow​ ​any​ ​of​ ​Allans​ ​confidence.

“Ye​ ​look​ ​weaker​ ​than​ ​a​ ​month-blighted​ ​Apple​ ​tree,​ ​sonny!”​ ​Granny​ ​Smith​ ​retorted.​ ​“Just​ ​get back​ ​to​ ​Ponyville​ ​and​ ​find​ ​a​ ​job​ ​more​ ​suited​ ​to​ ​ya!!”

“Granny,​ ​please,​ ​just​ ​give​ ​him​ ​a​ ​chance.”​ ​Applejack​ ​begged.​ ​“It’s​ ​just​ ​for​ ​one​ ​day.”

Granny​ ​Smith​ ​made​ ​the​ ​mistake​ ​of​ ​making​ ​eye​ ​contact​ ​with​ ​her​ ​granddaughter​ ​as​ ​she​ ​did her​ ​best​ ​puppy​ ​dog​ ​impression,​ ​with​ ​a​ ​pouted​ ​lower​ ​lip​ ​and​ ​huge​ ​eyes.​ ​She​ ​caved​ ​within​ ​ten​ ​seconds of​ ​seeing​ ​that​ ​look.

“Alright,​ ​but​ ​if’n​ ​he​ ​gets​ ​hurt,​ ​it​ ​ain’t​ ​on​ ​me!”

“Fair​ ​enough.”​ ​Applejack​ ​turned​ ​to​ ​Allan,​ ​and​ ​once​ ​she​ ​was​ ​sure​ ​none​ ​of​ ​the​ ​other​ ​Apple family​ ​members​ ​could​ ​see​ ​her​ ​face,​ ​she​ ​winked​ ​at​ ​Allan.​ ​“Alright,​ ​you​ ​go​ ​with​ ​Big​ ​Mac​ ​down​ ​there, and​ ​I’ll​ ​be​ ​along​ ​soon.​ ​Don’t​ ​try​ ​to​ ​overdo​ ​anything,​ ​just,​ ​try​ ​to​ ​relax​ ​a​ ​bit.”​ ​Before​ ​Allan​ ​could​ ​reply, she​ ​turned​ ​and​ ​trotted​ ​down​ ​one​ ​of​ ​the​ ​many​ ​rows​ ​of​ ​trees​ ​that​ ​extended​ ​into​ ​the​ ​distance.

Allan​ ​gulped,​ ​and​ ​turned​ ​to​ ​the​ ​Apple​ ​family,​ ​who​ ​eyed​ ​him​ ​with​ ​stares​ ​both​ ​suspicious,​ ​and curious.​ ​Big​ ​Macintosh​ ​just​ ​shook​ ​his​ ​head​ ​and​ ​went​ ​down​ ​another​ ​row​ ​of​ ​trees,​ ​clearly​ ​not​ ​all​ ​that happy​ ​about​ ​having​ ​a​ ​changeling​ ​on​ ​the​ ​farm.​ ​​ ​With​ ​a​ ​sigh,​ ​Allan​ ​turned​ ​away​ ​from​ ​the​ ​farm​ ​house and​ ​trotted​ ​after​ ​Big​ ​Mac,​ ​who​ ​had​ ​not​ ​bothered​ ​to​ ​wait​ ​for​ ​him,​ ​already​ ​several​ ​meters​ ​away.

Following​ ​the​ ​big​ ​stallion,​ ​Allan​ ​took​ ​Applajack’s​ ​advice​ ​​ ​and​ ​let​ ​himself​ ​relax,​ ​enjoying​ ​the​ ​feeling​ ​of simply​ ​being​ ​outside.​ ​The​ ​dappled​ ​sun​ ​on​ ​his​ ​chitin,​ ​and​ ​the​ ​soft​ ​loam​ ​of​ ​the​ ​orchard​ ​beneath​ ​his hooves.​ ​He​ ​stopped​ ​for​ ​a​ ​moment​ ​to​ ​let​ ​himself​ ​enjoy​ ​the​ ​feel​ ​of​ ​it​ ​against​ ​the​ ​frogs​ ​of​ ​his​ ​hooves before​ ​continuing​ ​on.

As​ ​the​ ​red​ ​barn​ ​and​ ​Apple​ ​family​ ​farmhouse​ ​disappeared​ ​behind​ ​them,​ ​Allan​ ​decided​ ​to​ ​try breaking​ ​the​ ​ice.​ ​“So…​ ​you​ ​guys​ ​harvest​ ​apples​ ​by​ ​kicking​ ​the​ ​trees?”

Big​ ​Mac​ ​only​ ​barely​ ​glanced​ ​Allan's​ ​way​ ​when​ ​he​ ​responded.​ ​“Eeyup.”

“And​ ​they​ ​fall​ ​into​ ​buckets​ ​around​ ​the​ ​tree,​ ​every​ ​time?”

“Eeyup.”

“Wow,​ ​so​ ​you​ ​guys​ ​own​ ​all​ ​of​ ​this?”

“Eeyup.”

“And​ ​you​ ​love​ ​working​ ​on​ ​the​ ​farm?”

“Eeyup.”

“...So​ ​what’s​ ​your​ ​cutie​ ​mark​ ​signify?”

“Eeyup.”

“Um,​ ​Big​ ​Mac?”​ ​Allan​ ​asked,​ ​frowning.

“Eeyup.”

“Big​ ​Macintosh?”

“Eeyup.”

“......You’re​ ​ignoring​ ​me​ ​aren’t​ ​you?”​ ​The​ ​frown​ ​deepened.

“Eeyup.”

“Urgh,​ ​fine.​ ​Just​ ​don’t​ ​complain​ ​when​ ​I​ ​don’t​ ​get​ ​you​ ​a​ ​christmas​ ​card!”

“Eeyup.”

Allan​ ​growled.​ ​“I’m​ ​not​ ​gonna​ ​talk​ ​anymore.​ ​Happy?”

The​ ​stallion​ ​looked​ ​back​ ​at​ ​Allan​ ​before​ ​smiling.​ ​“Eeyup.”

Alan's​ ​eye​ ​twitched.​ ​He​ ​did​ ​not​ ​speak​ ​again.​ ​When​ ​they​ ​reached​ ​the​ ​part​ ​of​ ​the​ ​orchard​ ​that still​ ​had​ ​apples​ ​in​ ​the​ ​trees,​ ​Big​ ​Mac​ ​did​ ​not​ ​bother​ ​to​ ​teach​ ​Allan,​ ​instead,​ ​he​ ​just​ ​got​ ​right​ ​to bucking,​ ​kicking​ ​the​ ​first​ ​tree,​ ​and​ ​barely​ ​slowing​ ​down​ ​to​ ​do​ ​it.

“Oh,​ ​so​ ​you​ ​aren’t​ ​going​ ​to​ ​teach​ ​me,​ ​huh?”​ ​Allan​ ​muttered.​ ​“Fine,​ ​I’ll​ ​teach​ ​myself,​ ​then.” Looking​ ​at​ ​the​ ​tree​ ​on​ ​his​ ​side​ ​of​ ​the​ ​row,​ ​Allan​ ​lined​ ​up​ ​his​ ​shot,​ ​and​ ​reared​ ​up​ ​onto​ ​his front​ ​hooves,​ ​and​ ​kicked​ ​out​ ​with​ ​his​ ​hindquarters.

His​ ​hooves​ ​struck​ ​the​ ​bark​ ​solidly,​ ​and​ ​it​ ​was​ ​a​ ​good​ ​hit.​ ​There​ ​was​ ​only​ ​one​ ​problem.​ ​Allan hadn’t​ ​accounted​ ​for​ ​the​ ​conservation​ ​of​ ​momentum.

When​ ​his​ ​hooves​ ​hit​ ​the​ ​tree,​ ​Alan's​ ​front​ ​legs​ ​hadn’t​ ​been​ ​bent​ ​to​ ​absorb​ ​and​ ​redirect​ ​the force,​ ​which​ ​instead​ ​of​ ​having​ ​the​ ​effect​ ​of​ ​knocking​ ​the​ ​apples​ ​down,​ ​instead​ ​knocked​ ​him​ ​down. For​ ​the​ ​umpteenth​ ​time​ ​since​ ​he​ ​had​ ​arrived​ ​in​ ​Equestria,​ ​Allan​ ​landed​ ​on​ ​his​ ​poor,​ ​abused nose,​ ​and​ ​received​ ​a​ ​mouthful​ ​of​ ​mud.

Growling​ ​out​ ​loud,​ ​Allan,​ ​determined​ ​to​ ​not​ ​let​ ​Big​ ​Mac​ ​get​ ​the​ ​satisfaction​ ​of​ ​getting​ ​him​ ​to quit,​ ​lined​ ​up​ ​his​ ​next​ ​shot,​ ​this​ ​time​ ​repositioning​ ​his​ ​hooves​ ​and​ ​bending​ ​his​ ​front​ ​legs.​ ​When​ ​he was​ ​certain​ ​he​ ​was​ ​ready,​ ​he​ ​let​ ​his​ ​hind​ ​legs​ ​uncoil,​ ​where​ ​they​ ​struck​ ​the​ ​bark​ ​with​ ​a​ ​resounding: THWACK!

​Allan​ ​grinned,​ ​and​ ​looked​ ​up​ ​at​ ​the​ ​branches,​ ​expecting​ ​to​ ​see​ ​empty​ ​branches.​ ​Instead,​ ​the gleaming,​ ​shiny​ ​apples​ ​remained​ ​where​ ​they​ ​were.

His​ ​grin​ ​reversed​ ​itself​ ​into​ ​a​ ​snarling​ ​grimace.​ ​This​ ​was​ ​ridiculous.​ ​He​ ​wasn’t​ ​that​ ​weak!

There​ ​had​ ​to​ ​be​ ​some​ ​trick,​ ​some​ ​knack​ ​for​ ​it. What​ ​did​ ​Big​ ​Mac,​ ​Granny​ ​and​ ​Applejack​ ​all​ ​have​ ​that​ ​Allan​ ​didn’t?​ ​That​ ​was​ ​the​ ​question,
and​ ​at​ ​first,​ ​the​ ​answer​ ​seemed​ ​obvious.​ ​They​ ​all​ ​had​ ​cutie​ ​marks.​ ​However,​ ​the​ ​more​ ​Allan​ ​thought about​ ​it,​ ​the​ ​more​ ​he​ ​realized​ ​that​ ​just​ ​wasn’t​ ​the​ ​case. They​ ​were​ ​all​ ​members​ ​of​ ​the​ ​Earth​ ​Pony​ ​sub-race,​ ​and​ ​as​ ​such,​ ​they​ ​had​ ​magic.​ ​Earth​ ​Pony magic.​ ​Allan​ ​was​ ​a​ ​Changeling.​ ​The​ ​problem​ ​was​ ​even​ ​more​ ​obvious​ ​than​ ​lack​ ​of​ ​a​ ​cutie​ ​mark,​ ​now that​ ​he​ ​thought​ ​about​ ​it.​ ​Not​ ​being​ ​an​ ​Earth​ ​pony​ ​seemed​ ​to​ ​be​ ​a​ ​definite​ ​hindrance​ ​to​ ​him.

It​ ​made​ ​sense​ ​to​ ​him​ ​at​ ​least.​ ​The​ ​Earth​ ​ponies​ ​all​ ​seemed​ ​to​ ​be​ ​naturally​ ​stronger​ ​than​ ​the other​ ​two​ ​races,​ ​and​ ​than​ ​him.​ ​Changelings,​ ​as​ ​far​ ​as​ ​he​ ​knew,​ ​could​ ​tap​ ​into​ ​all​ ​three​ ​types​ ​of​ ​pony magic​ ​when​ ​they​ ​shifted​ ​form.​ ​But​ ​how​ ​could​ ​he​ ​do​ ​it?​ ​He​ ​didn’t​ ​know​ ​the​ ​first​ ​thing​ ​about​ ​changing shape,​ ​and​ ​he​ ​only​ ​knew​ ​a​ ​little​ ​about​ ​magic.​ ​So​ ​far,​ ​most​ ​of​ ​magic​ ​was​ ​thinking​ ​something​ ​out,​ ​then channeling​ ​energy​ ​though​ ​his​ ​horn​ ​while​ ​concentrating​ ​on​ ​what​ ​he​ ​wanted​ ​to​ ​happen.​ ​Twilight​ ​had called​ ​that​ ​method​ ​‘sorcery’,​ ​instead​ ​of​ ​actual​ ​magic.​ ​The​ ​spells​ ​she​ ​used​ ​required​ ​the​ ​caster​ ​to​ ​use memorized​ ​formulas,​ ​to​ ​form​ ​patterns​ ​with​ ​magical​ ​energy​ ​that​ ​would​ ​then​ ​channel​ ​magic​ ​to​ ​do
things​ ​far​ ​too​ ​complicated​ ​for​ ​simple​ ​‘sorcery’.​ ​If​ ​sorcery​ ​was​ ​very​ ​basic,​ ​then​ ​perhaps​ ​a​ ​natural ability​ ​would​ ​act​ ​in​ ​a​ ​similar​ ​fashion.
Allan​ ​bowed​ ​his​ ​head,​ ​and​ ​closed​ ​his​ ​eyes.​ ​He​ ​envisioned​ ​things​ ​moving​ ​on​ ​their​ ​own​ ​when using​ ​telekinesis,​ ​so​ ​he​ ​decided​ ​that​ ​envisioning​ ​what​ ​he​ ​wanted​ ​to​ ​become​ ​was​ ​probably​ ​how​ ​he could​ ​go​ ​about​ ​shapeshifting.​ ​Envisioning​ ​himself​ ​standing​ ​in​ ​front​ ​of​ ​a​ ​pony-quinn, like the ones in Rarity's boutique,​ ​Allan​ ​moved around​ ​the​ ​mental​ ​image,​ ​trying​ ​to​ ​decide​ ​how​ ​he​ ​wanted​ ​to​ ​look.​ ​The​ ​more​ ​he​ ​thought,​ ​the​ ​more
he​ ​came​ ​to​ ​realise​ ​that​ ​basing​ ​the​ ​image​ ​off​ ​of​ ​something​ ​he​ ​already​ ​knew​ ​was​ ​probably​ ​a​ ​good​ ​idea.

He​ ​thought​ ​about​ ​Applejack,​ ​how​ ​strong​ ​she​ ​was.​ ​He​ ​sculpted​ ​a​ ​mental​ ​image​ ​of​ ​her, painstakingly​ ​replicating​ ​the​ ​details​ ​of​ ​her​ ​face​ ​and​ ​her​ ​body,​ ​until​ ​he​ ​was​ ​happy​ ​with​ ​it.​ ​But,​ ​he excluded​ ​her​ ​cutie​ ​mark.​ ​Instead,​ ​he​ ​began​ ​altering​ ​the​ ​image,​ ​changing​ ​the​ ​colours​ ​of​ ​the​ ​pony​ ​he was​ ​picturing.​ ​The​ ​coat​ ​a​ ​chestnut​ ​brown,​ ​as​ ​bronze​ ​was​ ​rather​ ​unnatural,​ ​and​ ​an​ ​electric​ ​blue​ ​mane, with​ ​bright​ ​blue​ ​eyes​ ​and​ ​a​ ​couple​ ​of​ ​lighter​ ​brown​ ​freckles,​ ​and​ ​a​ ​single​ ​white​ ​diamond​ ​on​ ​the forehead,​ ​because​ ​he​ ​had​ ​seen​ ​pictures​ ​of​ ​horses​ ​with​ ​marks​ ​like​ ​that​ ​back​ ​home.​ ​He​ ​recalled​ ​Big Mac’s​ ​much​ ​longer​ ​leg​ ​fur,​ ​and​ ​added​ ​it​ ​in.​ ​It​ ​looked​ ​nice,​ ​so​ ​why​ ​not?​ ​He​ ​thickened​ ​the​ ​body​ ​up,​ ​and altered​ ​the​ ​facial​ ​structure​ ​from​ ​feminine​ ​to​ ​something​ ​a​ ​little​ ​more​ ​masculine.​ ​He​ ​kept​ ​the​ ​muzzle thinner​ ​than​ ​Mac’s,​ ​as​ ​it​ ​suited​ ​him​ ​better.

When​ ​he​ ​was​ ​finished,​ ​he​ ​regarded​ ​the​ ​brown​ ​pony​ ​in​ ​front​ ​of​ ​him,​ ​he​ ​did​ ​as​ ​he​ ​had​ ​done with​ ​other​ ​magic,​ ​and​ ​drew​ ​upon​ ​the​ ​magic​ ​he​ ​held​ ​within.​ ​Once​ ​he​ ​felt​ ​like​ ​he​ ​had​ ​enough,​ ​he​ ​let the​ ​changeling​ ​magic​ ​wash​ ​over​ ​him,​ ​wincing​ ​at​ ​the​ ​reminder​ ​that​ ​he​ ​didn’t​ ​actually​ ​know​ ​how​ ​he was​ ​doing​ ​any​ ​of​ ​this.

A​ ​wave​ ​of​ ​blue​ ​fire​ ​rolled​ ​off​ ​of​ ​him,​ ​and​ ​he​ ​fell​ ​back​ ​in​ ​shock.​ ​The​ ​sudden​ ​burst​ ​of​ ​energy and​ ​the​ ​bright​ ​flash​ ​had​ ​startle​ ​him,​ ​sending​ ​falling​ ​onto​ ​his​ ​butt,​ ​yet​ ​again. Once​ ​he​ ​was​ ​certain​ ​that​ ​he​ ​hadn’t​ ​accidentally​ ​set​ ​the​ ​orchard​ ​on​ ​fire,​ ​Allan​ ​began​ ​to​ ​look himself​ ​over,​ ​scrutinizing​ ​the​ ​details.​ ​The​ ​legs​ ​were​ ​just​ ​the​ ​right​ ​length,​ ​and​ ​he​ ​could​ ​feel​ ​the increase​ ​in​ ​strength,​ ​the​ ​muscles​ ​thicker​ ​and​ ​stronger​ ​than​ ​they​ ​had​ ​ever​ ​been,​ ​even​ ​at​ ​his​ ​fittest.

The​ ​brown​ ​coat​ ​adorning​ ​his​ ​body​ ​was​ ​a​ ​little​ ​thicker​ ​than​ ​he​ ​would​ ​have​ ​expected,​ ​but​ ​that​ ​was​ ​a minor​ ​issue.​ ​His​ ​limbs​ ​still​ ​worked,​ ​so​ ​he​ ​was​ ​glad​ ​he​ ​hadn’t​ ​screwed​ ​anything​ ​up,​ ​and​ ​the​ ​lack​ ​of wings​ ​and​ ​horn​ ​were,​ ​if​ ​anything,​ ​a​ ​little​ ​relieving​ ​for​ ​him,​ ​bringing​ ​him​ ​a​ ​little​ ​closer​ ​to​ ​being​ ​human again.​ ​Peering​ ​over​ ​to​ ​Big​ ​Mac,​ ​who​ ​watched​ ​him​ ​with​ ​both​ ​interest​ ​and​ ​suspicion,​ ​Allan​ ​offered​ ​a nervous​ ​smile,​ ​which​ ​did​ ​nothing​ ​to​ ​deter​ ​Big​ ​Macintosh’s​ ​stare.

He​ ​allowed​ ​himself​ ​a​ ​moment​ ​of​ ​celebration,​ ​his​ ​inner​ ​voice​ ​squealing.​ ​‘I​ ​did​ ​it!​ ​I​ ​did​ ​it!​ ​I​ ​did on​ ​my​ ​own!!!’​ ​Once​ ​he​ ​had​ ​that​ ​out​ ​of​ ​the​ ​way,​ ​it​ ​was​ ​time​ ​to​ ​see​ ​if​ ​his​ ​efforts​ ​had​ ​made​ ​any​ ​kind​ ​of difference.

“Right...let’s​ ​give​ ​you​ ​a​ ​test​ ​run…”​ ​He​ ​muttered,​ ​still​ ​with​ ​Big​ ​Mac​ ​staring​ ​at​ ​him​ ​from​ ​where he​ ​continued​ ​to​ ​buck​ ​trees.

Allan​ ​gave​ ​a​ ​grimace​ ​as​ ​he​ ​unintentionally​ ​let​ ​his​ ​train​ ​of​ ​thought​ ​led​ ​to​ ​him​ ​imagining himself​ ​trying,​ ​and​ ​miserably​ ​failing​ ​to​ ​buck​ ​apples​ ​down.​ ​Shaking​ ​his​ ​head,​ ​Allan​ ​raised​ ​his​ ​hind quarters​ ​up​ ​again,​ ​and​ ​took​ ​careful​ ​aim.​ ​After​ ​a​ ​quick​ ​glance​ ​up​ ​the​ ​line​ ​to​ ​see​ ​the​ ​apprehensive
figure​ ​of​ ​Big​ ​Macintosh,​ ​Allan​ ​lashed​ ​back​ ​with​ ​his​ ​hooves,​ ​the​ ​power​ ​of​ ​a​ ​steam​ ​train​ ​connecting with​ ​the​ ​tree​ ​behind​ ​him.

For​ ​a​ ​brief​ ​moment,​ ​Allan​ ​felt​ ​his​ ​elation​ ​at​ ​being​ ​able​ ​to​ ​create​ ​a​ ​working​ ​disguise​ ​of​ ​his​ ​own shatter​ ​as​ ​he​ ​heard​ ​a​ ​distinct​ ​lack​ ​of​ ​apples​ ​falling.

-​Thump​-

Alan's​ ​eyes​ ​widened,​ ​and​ ​he​ ​turned​ ​to​ ​look​ ​at​ ​the​ ​bottom​ ​of​ ​the​ ​nearest​ ​bucket.​ ​A​ ​solid​ ​red apple,​ ​devoid​ ​of​ ​bruising​ ​or​ ​blemishes​ ​of​ ​any​ ​kind,​ ​sat​ ​there.

-​Thump​-​ ​-​Thump​-​ ​-​Thump​-

More​ ​apples​ ​fell​ ​into​ ​the​ ​buckets,​ ​having​ ​been​ ​jarred​ ​partially​ ​loose​ ​after​ ​the​ ​initial​ ​kick,​ ​only to​ ​completely​ ​fall​ ​a​ ​few​ ​seconds​ ​later.​ ​Allan​ ​let​ ​out​ ​a​ ​whoop​ ​of​ ​joy,​ ​before​ ​swiftly​ ​kicking​ ​the​ ​tree again,​ ​shaking​ ​free​ ​the​ ​remaining​ ​few​ ​apples. Happily​ ​trotting​ ​along,​ ​a​ ​bounce​ ​in​ ​his​ ​step,​ ​Allan​ ​kicked​ ​the​ ​next​ ​tree,​ ​this​ ​time​ ​managing​ ​to get​ ​all​ ​the​ ​apples​ ​at​ ​once.​ ​The​ ​next​ ​one​ ​was​ ​just​ ​as​ ​easy,​ ​and​ ​after​ ​a​ ​few​ ​goes,​ ​Allan​ ​was​ ​sure​ ​he could​ ​catch​ ​Mac​ ​up​ ​in​ ​a​ ​few​ ​minutes.

The​ ​sun​ ​rose​ ​higher,​ ​but​ ​Allan​ ​ignored​ ​the​ ​sweat​ ​that​ ​his​ ​new​ ​body​ ​was​ ​excreting​ ​and continued​ ​to​ ​buck​ ​the​ ​trees.​ ​He​ ​had​ ​no​ ​idea​ ​where​ ​he​ ​was​ ​in​ ​relation​ ​to​ ​Mac​ ​anymore,​ ​but​ ​his​ ​ears told​ ​him​ ​that​ ​Mac​ ​was​ ​close,​ ​the​ ​solid​ ​-​Thunk​-​ ​of​ ​the​ ​stallion’s​ ​hooves​ ​on​ ​the​ ​nearby​ ​trees​ ​indicating his​ ​position​ ​as​ ​being​ ​somewhere​ ​just​ ​ahead​ ​of​ ​him.

Allan​ ​felt​ ​good.​ ​Better​ ​than​ ​good.​ ​The​ ​simple​ ​activity​ ​easily​ ​occupying​ ​his​ ​mind.​ ​His​ ​muscles may​ ​have​ ​felt​ ​sore,​ ​but​ ​he​ ​couldn’t​ ​care​ ​any​ ​less.​ ​He​ ​was​ ​actually​ ​enjoying​ ​it.​ ​A​ ​smile​ ​on​ ​his​ ​face, Allan​ ​bucked​ ​the​ ​next​ ​tree,​ ​and​ ​listened​ ​with​ ​a​ ​satisfied​ ​grin​ ​to​ ​the​ ​melodic​ ​sound​ ​of​ ​apples​ ​falling into​ ​the​ ​buckets.

“Big​ ​Mac!!”​ ​Alan's​ ​ears​ ​perked​ ​up​ ​as​ ​he​ ​heard​ ​Applejack’s​ ​voice​ ​drifting​ ​through​ ​the​ ​trees. Looking​ ​back​ ​up​ ​the​ ​way​ ​he​ ​had​ ​come,​ ​Allan​ ​was​ ​shocked​ ​to​ ​realize​ ​that​ ​he​ ​was​ ​completely out​ ​of​ ​sight​ ​of​ ​the​ ​farm​ ​house.​ ​Looking​ ​across​ ​to​ ​Big​ ​Mac,​ ​he​ ​caught​ ​the​ ​stallion​ ​looking​ ​at​ ​him​ ​in… was​ ​that…...was​ ​he​ ​impressed?

“Heya​ ​Mac!​ ​Uh,​ ​who’s​ ​this?​ ​I​ ​thought​ ​that​ ​Allan​ ​was​ ​supposed​ ​to​ ​be​ ​out​ ​here​ ​helpin’​ ​ya? Somepony​ ​else​ ​volunteer...​ ​”​ ​Applejack​ ​stopped​ ​to​ ​peer​ ​at​ ​the​ ​two​ ​of​ ​them,​ ​her​ ​brow​ ​creasing​ ​as​ ​she started​ ​to​ ​piece​ ​together​ ​the​ ​truth. In​ ​order​ ​to​ ​save​ ​his​ ​sister​ ​the​ ​trouble,​ ​Big​ ​Mac​ ​just​ ​pointed​ ​at​ ​Allan​ ​with​ ​a​ ​hoof,​ ​and​ ​Allan gave​ ​a​ ​timid​ ​wave.​ ​The​ ​orange​ ​farm​ ​pony​ ​looked​ ​him​ ​up​ ​and​ ​down,​ ​critically​ ​eyeing​ ​his​ ​disguise.

“What’s​ ​with​ ​the​ ​disguise?”​ ​She​ ​asked,​ ​an​ ​eyebrow​ ​raised.

“Oh,​ ​um…”​ ​Allan​ ​started.​ ​“I​ ​had​ ​a​ ​bit​ ​of​ ​trouble​ ​bucking​ ​trees,​ ​so​ ​I​ ​thought​ ​maybe​ ​this​ ​would help,​ ​and​ ​it​ ​does!​ ​Look!”

Despite​ ​how​ ​tired​ ​he’d​ ​already​ ​made​ ​himself,​ ​Allan​ ​trotted​ ​up​ ​to​ ​the​ ​next​ ​tree​ ​in​ ​his​ ​row and​ ​gave​ ​it​ ​a​ ​solid​ ​kick.​ ​The​ ​apples​ ​dropped​ ​down​ ​in​ ​a​ ​steady​ ​rain. Applejack​ ​actually​ ​looked​ ​a​ ​little​ ​impressed.​ ​“Well​ ​I’ll​ ​be!​ ​Looks​ ​like​ ​you​ ​really​ ​are​ ​stronger than​ ​you​ ​look​ ​sugarcube!”

Allan​ ​gave​ ​a​ ​weak​ ​chuckle.​ ​“I​ ​don’t​ ​think​ ​looks​ ​say​ ​much​ ​about​ ​changelings.”

Applejack​ ​grinned​ ​at​ ​that.​ ​“They​ ​sure​ ​don’t.​ ​Y’all​ ​hungry?”

Allan,​ ​never​ ​having​ ​been​ ​one​ ​to​ ​pass​ ​up​ ​free​ ​food,​ ​eagerly​ ​nodded.
***************

Allan​ ​wasn’t​ ​sure​ ​what​ ​he​ ​had​ ​expected​ ​from​ ​the​ ​Apple​ ​family,​ ​but​ ​an​ ​outdoor​ ​feast​ ​on​ ​a picnic​ ​table​ ​wasn’t​ ​what​ ​he​ ​had​ ​had​ ​in​ ​mind.​ ​Granny​ ​Smith​ ​had​ ​slowly​ ​hobbled​ ​over​ ​to​ ​the​ ​table after​ ​calling​ ​the​ ​family​ ​for​ ​lunch,​ ​and​ ​now​ ​sat​ ​at​ ​the​ ​table’s​ ​head,​ ​perched​ ​on​ ​a​ ​specially​ ​padded​ ​chair made​ ​just​ ​for​ ​her.​ ​Applejack​ ​sat​ ​between​ ​Allan​ ​and​ ​Big​ ​Mac,​ ​which​ ​the​ ​changeling​ ​found​ ​a​ ​little comforting.​ ​The​ ​largeness​ ​of​ ​the​ ​other​ ​stallion,​ ​and​ ​his​ ​ability​ ​to​ ​buck​ ​the​ ​trees​ ​with​ ​a​ ​single​ ​leg​ ​were more​ ​than​ ​enough​ ​to​ ​make​ ​Allan​ ​want​ ​to​ ​avoid​ ​any​ ​unpleasantness​ ​with​ ​him.​ ​The​ ​last​ ​member​ ​of​ ​the family,​ ​was​ ​the​ ​small​ ​filly​ ​called​ ​Apple​ ​Bloom.​ ​Her​ ​yellow​ ​coat​ ​and​ ​red​ ​mane,​ ​topped​ ​with​ ​an adorable​ ​reddish​ ​bow​ ​that​ ​was​ ​almost​ ​as​ ​large​ ​as​ ​the​ ​head​ ​it​ ​was​ ​worn​ ​on,​ ​made​ ​her​ ​the​ ​epitome​ ​of cute,​ ​and​ ​her​ ​energetic,​ ​goofball​ ​tendencies,​ ​and​ ​her​ ​spunky,​ ​farm​ ​pony​ ​attitude​ ​made​ ​her​ ​a​ ​delight to​ ​be​ ​around,​ ​as​ ​far​ ​as​ ​Allan​ ​was​ ​concerned.​ ​The​ ​only​ ​problem​ ​was​ ​the​ ​fact​ ​that​ ​she​ ​was​ ​young,​ ​and full​ ​of​ ​questions.

“So​ ​yer’​ ​really​ ​a​ ​changelin’?​ ​That’s​ ​so​ ​cool?​ ​How​ ​many​ ​ponies​ ​can​ ​you​ ​turn​ ​into?​ ​Could​ ​you turn​ ​into​ ​a​ ​dragon​ ​of​ ​you​ ​wanted?​ ​Or​ ​a​ ​cockatrice?​ ​Can​ ​you​ ​steal​ ​a​ ​ponies​ ​memories?​ ​Can​ ​you-”

Allan​ ​answered​ ​as​ ​many​ ​of​ ​her​ ​questions​ ​as​ ​he​ ​could,​ ​even​ ​giving​ ​a​ ​demonstration​ ​of​ ​his ability​ ​to​ ​shapeshift,​ ​which​ ​suddenly​ ​became​ ​very​ ​disorienting​ ​when​ ​the​ ​filly​ ​requested​ ​that​ ​he change​ ​into​ ​her.​ ​After​ ​a​ ​short​ ​time​ ​memorizing​ ​the​ ​details​ ​of​ ​the​ ​filly​ ​in​ ​front​ ​of​ ​him,​ ​he​ ​shifted. Suddenly​ ​being​ ​so​ ​much​ ​shorter​ ​than​ ​all​ ​the​ ​others​ ​made​ ​for​ ​a​ ​rather​ ​large​ ​upwelling​ ​of​ ​fear, combatted​ ​only​ ​by​ ​Apple​ ​Bloom​ ​convincing​ ​him​ ​to​ ​make​ ​a​ ​cute​ ​face​ ​with​ ​her​ ​to​ ​see​ ​if​ ​the​ ​two​ ​of them​ ​could​ ​make​ ​her​ ​family’s​ ​hearts​ ​explode​ ​from​ ​a​ ​cuteness​ ​overload.
The​ ​results​ ​were​ ​very​ ​successful.​ ​Mac​ ​had​ ​to​ ​turn​ ​his​ ​head​ ​away​ ​in​ ​order​ ​to​ ​protect​ ​himself, Granny​ ​Smith’s​ ​eyes​ ​went​ ​impossibly​ ​wide,​ ​and​ ​Applejack​ ​succumbed​ ​to​ ​the​ ​cute​ ​within​ ​ten​ ​seconds, an​ ​enormous​ ​smile​ ​and​ ​a​ ​“D’aaawwwwwww.”​ ​signifying​ ​her​ ​fall.

Shifting​ ​back​ ​to​ ​the​ ​older​ ​earth​ ​pony​ ​form,​ ​Allan​ ​graciously​ ​began​ ​to​ ​eat,​ ​being​ ​careful​ ​not to​ ​eat​ ​like​ ​an​ ​absolute​ ​slob,​ ​trying​ ​his​ ​best​ ​to​ ​mind​ ​his​ ​manners.​ ​Without​ ​his​ ​horn​ ​and​ ​magic,​ ​it​ ​was far​ ​more​ ​difficult,​ ​and​ ​only​ ​the​ ​intervention​ ​of​ ​Applejack​ ​stopped​ ​his​ ​glass​ ​of​ ​juice​ ​from​ ​absolutely soaking​ ​him.

“Hey,​ ​you​ ​don’t​ ​look​ ​like​ ​you’ve​ ​eaten​ ​much,​ ​Allan.”​ ​AJ​ ​commented,​ ​looking​ ​at​ ​the​ ​small amount​ ​of​ ​food​ ​that​ ​the​ ​changeling​ ​had​ ​put​ ​on​ ​his​ ​plate, and the even smaller amount that remained.​ ​“Y’all​ ​alright?”

The​ ​care​ ​and​ ​concern​ ​from​ ​her​ ​triggered​ ​his​ ​strange​ ​emotive​ ​vision​ ​again.​ ​He​ ​saw​ ​a​ ​large stream​ ​of​ ​it​ ​connecting​ ​to​ ​him,​ ​being​ ​absorbed,​ ​seemingly​ ​with​ ​no​ ​adverse​ ​affect​ ​effort​ ​to​ ​her.​ ​It​ ​was a​ ​very​ ​similar​ ​shade​ ​of​ ​pink​ ​to​ ​the​ ​one​ ​that​ ​had​ ​been​ ​around​ ​Fluttershy,​ ​but​ ​now,​ ​he​ ​actually​ ​felt​ ​it, and​ ​it​ ​felt​ ​very​ ​good,​ ​like​ ​the​ ​soothing​ ​warmth​ ​of​ ​the​ ​sun​ ​after​ ​a​ ​long​ ​soak​ ​in​ ​a​ ​cold​ ​lake,​ ​or​ ​a​ ​much needed​ ​hug.

“Actually,​ ​I​ ​don’t​ ​think​ ​changeling’s​ ​eat​ ​all​ ​that​ ​much​ ​physical​ ​food.​ ​It’s​ ​emotions​ ​we​ ​need, remember?”

Applejack​ ​suddenly​ ​clicked.​ ​“Oh,​ ​yeah,​ ​right.​ ​Sorry,​ ​I​ ​didn’t​ ​think​ ​about​ ​that.”

“Maybe​ ​this​ ​would​ ​help?”​ ​Allan​ ​suggested,​ ​letting​ ​his​ ​disguise​ ​drop.​ ​The​ ​flames​ ​once​ ​again felt​ ​warm,​ ​but​ ​he​ ​knew​ ​that​ ​they​ ​wouldn’t​ ​hurt​ ​anypony.​ ​The​ ​bronze​ ​changeling​ ​buzzed​ ​his​ ​wings​ ​for a​ ​bit,​ ​relieving​ ​an​ ​uncomfortable​ ​stiffness​ ​he​ ​had​ ​not​ ​even​ ​realized​ ​he​ ​had​ ​been​ ​getting.

“That​ ​helps.”​ ​Applejack​ ​confirmed.​ ​A​ ​twinge​ ​of​ ​discomfort​ ​drifted​ ​his​ ​way,​ ​but​ ​Allan​ ​didn’t bring​ ​it​ ​up.

“Woah!​ ​Y’all​ ​look​ ​so​ ​cool!”​ ​Apple​ ​Bloom​ ​exclaimed,​ ​looking​ ​at​ ​his​ ​shiny​ ​chitin​ ​and​ ​gossamer wings.​ ​“Ya​ ​look​ ​kinda​ ​pretty,​ ​in​ ​a….um,​
handsome​ ​kinda​ ​way!”

Applejack​ ​rolled​ ​her​ ​eyes​ ​at​ ​her​ ​sister.​ ​“Apple​ ​Bloom,​ ​I’m​ ​not​ ​sure​ ​ya​ ​should​ ​say​ ​stuff​ ​like that.”

Allan​ ​didn’t​ ​mind,​ ​in​ ​fact,​ ​if​ ​anything,​ ​it​ ​bolstered​ ​his​ ​confidence​ ​a​ ​bit.​ ​Handsome?​ ​Him?​ ​As a​ ​bug-pony-thing?​ ​That​ ​made​ ​him​ ​feel​ ​a​ ​little​ ​better​ ​about​ ​himself.

“Thanks​ ​Apple​ ​Bloom.​ ​That’s​ ​real​ ​sweet​ ​of​ ​you​ ​to​ ​say.”​ ​Allan​ ​said,​ ​not​ ​realizing​ ​that​ ​he​ ​had developed​ ​a​ ​slight​ ​blush​ ​on​ ​his​ ​cheeks.

“What’s​ ​the​ ​matter,​ ​Allan,​ ​y’all​ ​embarrassed?”​ ​Applejack​ ​asked,​ ​with​ ​a​ ​knowing​ ​grin​ ​on​ ​her face.​ ​The​ ​query​ ​made​ ​Allan​ ​sputter,​ ​having​ ​been​ ​taking​ ​a​ ​drink​ ​from​ ​his​ ​apple​ ​juice.​ ​Having​ ​narrowly avoided​ ​spraying​ ​anypony​ ​in​ ​the​ ​face,​ ​he​ ​quickly​ ​swallowed​ ​the​ ​beverage,​ ​his​ ​face​ ​going​ ​a​ ​rather deep​ ​shade​ ​of​ ​red.

“What?​ ​Wh-​ ​W-​ ​no!​ ​I-​ ​I’m​ ​not​ ​embarrassed,​ ​it​ ​just-​ ​caught​ ​me​ ​off​ ​guard​ ​a​ ​little.”​ ​Allan turned​ ​his​ ​head​ ​to​ ​the​ ​side​ ​to​ ​avoid​ ​eye​ ​contact,​ ​only​ ​ for​ ​a​ ​flash​ ​of​ ​colour​ ​in​ ​the​ ​nearest​ ​tree​ ​to​ ​catch his​ ​eye.​ ​What​ ​was​ ​she​ ​doing​ ​here?

“Um...AJ?”

Applejack​ ​looked​ ​up​ ​from​ ​the​ ​apple​ ​fritter​ ​clutched​ ​in​ ​her​ ​hoof,​ ​some​ ​of​ ​the​ ​pastries contents​ ​smeared​ ​liberally​ ​across​ ​her​ ​face.​ ​“Yes,​ ​sugarcube?”

“Isn’t​ ​that​ ​Rainbow​ ​Dash​ ​in​ ​that​ ​tree?”

Applejack​ ​followed​ ​the​ ​line​ ​of​ ​his​ ​hoof​ ​and​ ​her​ ​eyes​ ​narrowed​ ​as​ ​she​ ​located​ ​the​ ​patch​ ​of multi-coloured​ ​hair​ ​that​ ​had​ ​caught​ ​Allan's​ ​eye​ ​before.

“Yep,​ ​it​ ​is.​ ​That​ ​lazy​ ​mare!​ ​She’s​ ​probably​ ​up​ ​there​ ​nappin’​ ​in​ ​mah​ ​trees​ ​again!”

Allan​ ​tilted​ ​his​ ​head​ ​to​ ​one​ ​side,​ ​trying​ ​to​ ​match​ ​the​ ​athletic​ ​pegasus​ ​up​ ​to​ ​this​ ​description of​ ​her,​ ​not​ ​really​ ​finding​ ​a​ ​connection.

“I​ ​thought​ ​she​ ​was​ ​quite​ ​athletic​ ​and​ ​was​ ​always​ ​flying​ ​and​ ​working​ ​out.​ ​Are​ ​you​ ​telling​ ​me that​ ​she’s​ ​actually​ ​lazy?”

“She’s​ ​lazy​ ​alright.”​ ​Granny​ ​Smith​ ​chimed​ ​in.​ ​“One​ ​time​ ​she​ ​couldn’t​ ​even​ ​be​ ​bothered​ ​ta land​ ​properly​ ​before​ ​sleepin’,​ ​and​ ​she​ ​nearly​ ​​wrecked​ ​one​ ​of​ ​our​ ​best​ ​trees!”

Allan​ ​jerked​ ​his​ ​head​ ​back.​ ​“Really?​ ​That​ ​doesn’t​ ​seem​ ​like​ ​the​ ​Rainbow​ ​I​ ​met​ ​yesterday.”

“That’s​ ​R.D​ ​alright.”​ ​Apple​ ​Bloom​ ​said.​ ​“Sometimes​ ​I​ ​don’t​ ​know​ ​what​ ​Scootaloo​ ​sees​ ​in​ ​her. Although,​ ​I​ ​suppose​ ​she​ ​is​ ​the​ ​best​ ​flier​ ​in​ ​all​ ​of​ ​Equestria.”

“Fastest​ ​flier.”​ ​Applejack​ ​corrected.​ ​“Even​ ​after​ ​all​ ​these​ ​years,​ ​I’m​ ​still​ ​not​ ​entirely​ ​sold​ ​on her​ ​bein’​ ​the​ ​absolute​ ​best,​ ​but​ ​she’s​ ​definitely​ ​the​ ​fastest.”

“Hey!​ ​Rainbow​ ​Dash!!”​ ​Allan​ ​called​ ​out,​ ​a​ ​hoof​ ​raised​ ​to​ ​amplify​ ​his​ ​voice. The​ ​pegasus​ ​in​ ​the​ ​tree​ ​let​ ​out​ ​a​ ​sleepy​ ​yawn​ ​before​ ​settling​ ​back​ ​down​ ​onto​ ​her​ ​branch.

“It​ ​ain’t​ ​no​ ​good.​ ​She’ll​ ​just​ ​keep​ ​on​ ​sleepin’​ ​until​ ​something’​ ​she’s​ ​interested​ ​or​ ​invested​ ​in comes​ ​around,​ ​and​ ​then​ ​she’ll​ ​just​ ​‘magically​ ​wake​ ​up’.”​ ​Apple​ ​Bloom​ ​explained.​ ​“She’s​ ​done​ ​this​ ​so often​ ​we​ ​just​ ​ignore​ ​‘er.”

Allan​ ​thought​ ​that​ ​wasn’t​ ​the​ ​best​ ​idea,​ ​but​ ​it​ ​was​ ​their​ ​farm,​ ​so​ ​he​ ​kept​ ​his​ ​mouth​ ​shut. The​ ​Apples​ ​walked,​ ​or​ ​was​ ​it​ ​cantered,​ ​back​ ​to​ ​the​ ​table​ ​to​ ​finish​ ​their​ ​meal,​ ​leaving​ ​Allan​ ​to​ ​watch​ ​as the​ ​mare’s​ ​rainbow​ ​tail​ ​flicked​ ​back​ ​and​ ​forth​ ​as​ ​she​ ​dreamed​ ​about​ ​something.

“Y’all​ ​just​ ​gonna​ ​stand​ ​there,​ ​sonny,​ ​or​ ​are​ ​ya​ ​gonna​ ​eat​ ​some​ ​more?”​ ​Granny​ ​Smith​ ​called to​ ​him.

“Oops,​ ​sorry​ ​Granny,​ ​I’ll​ ​be​ ​right​ ​there!”​ ​He​ ​took​ ​one​ ​last​ ​look​ ​before​ ​trotting​ ​back​ ​to​ ​the table,​ ​and​ ​sitting​ ​down​ ​to​ ​finish​ ​his​ ​meal. ***********************

Author's Note:

Allan finally figures out how to transform, and Applejack gives him a chance on the farm. Allan finds Big Mac intimidating, and Apple Bloom adorable. And, apparently, Luna likes cars.

PreviousChapters Next